Jump to content

Type keyword(s) to search


S01.E10: Seeing the Light


  • Reply
  • Start Topic

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I found the Hello its Me refrain again touching,  especially the lyrics "its important to me that you know you are free" line being highlighted, as if Big were telling her to move on. Its cheesy but sweet. Big was cheesy, after all. 

I love Todd Rundgren, I love the song and how they used it...is that all I loved about this show? 

Why did Seema and her new boy toy hole up in a hotel instead of going to her place?  They could have smoked their brains out without having to worry about getting a smoking room (are there any smoking hotel rooms anymore anyway?).

Steve was not outside helping his (soon to be ex) wife and kid get a cab and to say goodbye?

Why, why, why had we not heard Che sing before, I would have enjoyed that more than the awful comedy that was supposed to make her a star...she could have sung songs like Melissa Ethridge or KD Lang, honestly what a waste of talent.  Also, she was able to just walk away from a podcast with just a few days notice, no contract with advertisers to appease? 

Anyone else think the teach and producer look too much alike, for a moment I thought it was the teacher guy at Bobby's surprise wedding (which I give it a year before the Missus is finally tired of his unclean habits of farting and pooping and general ickiness but that is just my thoughts), and for a moment I was like what the what, the teacher is there?!?!?! It took me a minute to realize it was the producer guy.

  • Love 11
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Small group? *looks around* this thing has been shredded by everyone… the small group would more likely be the people who like it. 

There is a loud, vocal majority that despises this show. The problem? We watched.

I can't properly hate on something if I haven't consumed it, so while I wanted to get out, I eventually just watched it so I could:

1. Give them every opportunity to get something right and redeem what looked like a trainwreck

2. Eviscerate the bad acting, lazy writing, and gratuitous plotlines with pinpoint accuracy

Up until the last minute, I was hoping something would be good. I'd say they dropped the ball, but they never had it in their hands to begin with. They started with a recycled plotline we all had read about, and then decided to go through some sort of woke wonderwall so they could check off all the things they needed to teach the audience. Ultimately, this whole exercise came off like a punishment to longtime fans for loving the original show as it was.

I felt that way after ep 2 and hoped they'd air something that changed my tune, but after many dropped plotlines, cobbled messages, and ass-backward characterization and outright character assassination, I feel the way I did when it started. 

One major issue, though, was putting THIS Miranda as the lead. Once Big was buried, Carrie somehow became a supporting role here. In the original series, I'd have loved to keep Miranda front and center for a season. Here, she's unrecognizable and unstandable. That horrid, unearned, nonsensical plotline dominated the season and hurt any chance of real fans loving or accepting the show. 

So again - we HATED it, but we watched. We gave them numbers. They'll make a season 2. It will TANK now that we KNOW what crap we are in for - and then HBO Max will finally pull the plug.

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 20
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Anyone else think the teach and producer look too much alike, for a moment I thought it was the teacher guy at Bobby's surprise wedding (which I give it a year before the Missus is finally tired of his unclean habits of farting and pooping and general ickiness but that is just my thoughts), and for a moment I was like what the what, the teacher is there?!?!?! It took me a minute to realize it was the producer guy.

They do look a lot a like. The teacher is a little more “regular looking” with a rounder face, and slightly longer hair. But they are both mid height mid weight white guys with salt and pepper hair. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

I was asked "I don’t get why people hate Che so much."

and my response was because they were written more as a caricature then an actual character. They weren't there has a full character they were used has a 'prop" .. it just felt and came across so unauthentic and pandering.. and I still stand by this observation... 

Nothing about Che was fleshed out other then M wanted to fuck them and they liked to drink and smoke weed ...

Edited by Keywestclubkid
Corrected pronouns
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14
Link to comment

Maybe the podcast set aside a certain time for people to call in, they record and edit it and release it later as a podcast episode. That's the only thing I can think of to make it make sense. Am I giving them too much credit?

  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
18 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Small group? *looks around* this thing has been shredded by everyone… the small group would more likely be the people who like it. 

I don't know.  Has HBO Max given any indication of how many people are watching the show?  That helps to remind me that even if there is a vocal contingent of viewers and/or critics who does not like the series, there may be many people out there who are perfectly fine with the show, but don't comment on it.   

  • Love 2
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I don't know.  Has HBO Max given any indication of how many people are watching the show?  That helps to remind me that even if there is a vocal contingent of viewers and/or critics who does not like the series, there may be many people out there who are perfectly fine with the show, but don't comment on it.   

I mean a good indicator is the reviews that are written and word of mouth of people talking about it and all of those arnt good ... a lot of shows are hate watched (yes that's a thing just ask the first season of Smash that got a second season even tho everyone hated it then got canceled because everyone stopped watching) and that's the reason for higher ratings and  ... what will be a indicator will be IF it gets a 2nd season how it does ... because like it was mentioned above the that's when people will tune out

  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Ton of articles today on Che.  One even calls Che the best character.  One says Che is not a good representation of non-binary people.  One says the character always seemed like a tv character, not a real person.  

None of the other characters that were introduced were really fleshed out ... they were used to prop up the others storylines it was like a list was checked off without thought has to why these characters were really there has people and not a box that got checked

  • Love 6
Link to comment
1 hour ago, sadie said:

I lost my husband at 40 and had to deal with his ashes and I can assure you that little purse was not holding a 200 pound plus man’s ashes. Completely distracting and they did it just so Carrie could use that stupid ugly purse.

I was distracted because all I could think was no way was that all his ashes.              

I was also distracted by the ugly dress Carrie was wearing.  I’ll never get that style.  It looks like the dress was swallowing her.

  • Love 6
Link to comment
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I don't know.  Has HBO Max given any indication of how many people are watching the show?  That helps to remind me that even if there is a vocal contingent of viewers and/or critics who does not like the series, there may be many people out there who are perfectly fine with the show, but don't comment on it.   

I had read in an earlier article that the show would have to bring in new subscribers in order to be a lock for renewal. I think it's telling that it hasn't happened yet. The reviews are mostly on the scale between disappointed and scathing. But they'll probably get a season 2, just because I don't want the to.

We have 4 free months of HBOMax but will not renew and I won't watch a second season.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 1
Link to comment

 

2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Why did Seema and her new boy toy hole up in a hotel instead of going to her place?  They could have smoked their brains out without having to worry about getting a smoking room (are there any smoking hotel rooms anymore anyway?).

Trysts in fancy hotel rooms are fun! ;-)  

The whole smoking thing bugs me hugely. Why is this show trying to make smoking come back? Ugh. It's not sexy!

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

They do look a lot a like. The teacher is a little more “regular looking” with a rounder face, and slightly longer hair. But they are both mid height mid weight white guys with salt and pepper hair. 

Very similar-looking guys. Or maybe guys who look like that are thick on the ground now in NYC. I mean, Carrie bagged two of them in record time. Maybe I need to go visit my friend there...

41 minutes ago, ch1 said:

I was also distracted by the ugly dress Carrie was wearing.  I’ll never get that style.  It looks like the dress was swallowing her.

SJP did not wear that dress well. Photos that show it on a runway model make it look much better. She was spilling out of the top (thus the "being swallowed" effect) and she wore it off the shoulder which ruined the design and intended look of the puffy sleeves. Her shoulders are nothing special so not much reason to show them. Why did it need to look like a ball gown anyway? She's not Cinderella.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 9
Link to comment
1 minute ago, RedHawk said:

SJP did not wear that dress well.

The problem was that the dress wore her, not the other way around. It just swallowed her up into a big, shapeless, tangerine mass. It wasn't pretty or flattering. It was just a mess of fabric.

  • Love 12
Link to comment
Quote

I was waiting for Carrie to give Miranda the same argument she got when she was moving Paris with Alex…

This. I remember how indignant Miranda was when Carrie planned to give up her hard-earned career to follow her love to a faraway place. Carrie asked her, “What are you going to do all day?”, which Miranda asked Carrie. I really was hoping Carrie would have brought up that previous argument.

Quote

Carrie is shitty for burying him on another continent right after his brother asked about burying him in the family mausoleum.

Nope. The brother might miss Big, but no one misses the dead person as much as their significant other, so that’s the person who calls the shots. After someone dies, so many people seem to think they have a say in funeral plans, visitation, gravestones, etc. Note to survivors: it’s not about you. When my son died suddenly last year, it was up to his wife to make the decisions about the funeral, not us. If she asked us for input, great, but if not, also great, because it wasn’t about us. And it sure as hell wasn’t about any other random person who wondered why they couldn’t attend the funeral (limited capacity due to Covid).

Besides, if you believe in a soul, then the physical remains are meaningless since you believe the person is not in them anymore. And if you don’t believe in an afterlife, then it doesn’t matter where the person or their ashes are since there’s no essence of them left anymore. You can “talk” to a dead person anywhere; there doesn’t have to be an expensive chunk of granite or a fancy urn to make it possible.

I do find it amusing that so many posters seem to hate the entire series and vow not to watch again, but these episode threads are pretty active and detailed. I understand hate-watching for an ep or two, but that’s a lot time to devote to something that causes so much anger.

I loved the colour of Carrie’s big pouffy Paris gown, but I’ve never been a fan of strapless for the reason of this dress - looked like she was going to pop a boob any minute. The dress was huge, yet it seemed like it wasn’t enough coverage. Oddly, Emily in Paris had the same thing with a dress - lots of extraneous fabric but still seemed like it wasn’t enough on the actress. As for the amount of ashes in that Eiffel Tower purse, maybe she is giving some to the brother after all. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

There is a loud, vocal majority that despises this show. The problem? We watched.

So again - we HATED it, but we watched. We gave them numbers. They'll make a season 2. It will TANK now that we KNOW what crap we are in for - and then HBO Max will finally pull the plug.

Hate-watching is not without value.  My GF has sucked me into as many shows that we've watched together just to snark on as there are ones that we've held in high regard.  And then there are ones that I call Mindless Entertainment - just fun because of the premise, a character, or whatever.  Not really hurting anybody, but not exactly Appointment TV.

Re: a second season, it's all about the money.  As long as TBTB think that there's a profit to be made, it'll run.  

48 minutes ago, Shermie said:

I do find it amusing that so many posters seem to hate the entire series and vow not to watch again, but these episode threads are pretty active and detailed. I understand hate-watching for an ep or two, but that’s a lot time to devote to something that causes so much anger.

As for the amount of ashes in that Eiffel Tower purse, maybe she is giving some to the brother after all. 

That's the fun of hate-watching though. Watch the show, go online and criticize it with other like-minded people who feel your pain.  There's anger, but I don't think anyone's really losing sleep over it.

I had the same thought about the brother getting some ashes.  Maybe she pulled a Joan Rivers-with-Edgar-Rosenberg's-ashes and took the rest and scattered them at meaningful places throughout New York. She probably kept some for herself, too. 

I thought they did a good job covering Cattrall's choice not to participate (hello, How I Met Your Father, speaking of hate-watching) by having Samantha texting from time to time.  I doubt many viewers really bought it, but it was a good choice.  

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 2
Link to comment

entire show was a train wreck

I wanted to say that the issue was a lack of stories to tell

But the truth is good writers could have gotten good stories out of three women, one who lost her husband, one questioning her sexuality and one whose children are different than who she was growing up. These are all compelling topics.  So just shitty writing across the board...

 

Edited by dmc
  • Love 16
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, Shermie said:

Nope. The brother might miss Big, but no one misses the dead person as much as their significant other, so that’s the person who calls the shots. After someone dies, so many people seem to think they have a say in funeral plans, visitation, gravestones, etc. Note to survivors: it’s not about you. When my son died suddenly last year, it was up to his wife to make the decisions about the funeral, not us. If she asked us for input, great, but if not, also great, because it wasn’t about us. And it sure as hell wasn’t about any other random person who wondered why they couldn’t attend the funeral (limited capacity due to Covid).

If Big had wanted to be buried in the family crypt, he would have said so in his will and there would have been no discussions between his brother and Carrie needed. Instead, he left the decision to Carrie. She is well within her right to do whatever she wants. She can keep his ashes beside her best shoes forever and his family won't be able to do anything about it. She can be polite and inform them, but that's really the extent of it. 

 

38 minutes ago, Shermie said:

Besides, if you believe in a soul, then the physical remains are meaningless since you believe the person is not in them anymore. And if you don’t believe in an afterlife, then it doesn’t matter where the person or their ashes are since there’s no essence of them left anymore. You can “talk” to a dead person anywhere; there doesn’t have to be an expensive chunk of granite or a fancy urn to make it possible.

Thus, the lamp. 

Our entire family have moved to the US years ago and so we haven't visited our grandfather in the cemetery for a really long time. But it doesn't mean we cannot ever feel connected to him. Every now and then, when I look for things where I thought they are, and they're not there, and then all of a sudden I see them in a place where I know I would never put them in, I always say "There you go again, Grandpa, playing pranks on me."

41 minutes ago, Shermie said:

I do find it amusing that so many posters seem to hate the entire series and vow not to watch again, but these episode threads are pretty active and detailed. I understand hate-watching for an ep or two, but that’s a lot time to devote to something that causes so much anger.

I didn't hate-watch, but more like, I was hopeful that each episode will get better. These are my favorite characters and I imagined so many times more than I care to count living that fantasy life watching this series while I was in college when it first came out. As much as I hated most of the storylines, it was still fun to see Carrie/Miranda/Charlotte again, seeing old familiar faces like Harry, Steve, Anthony, etc. To be honest, I don't think there's any level of bad where this show could get that I would swear to stop watching it. They already hit the utmost level of bad in episodes 7-9 with Che/Miranda, and I still stuck through the bitter end. 

And yes, I will still trudge along a Season 2.

  • Love 6
Link to comment

Re Big and his family—early in the series we saw him escorting his mother to church and he apparently did this regularly. I would hope, given the size of the purse, that the remainder of Big’s ashes went to the family crypt.

Re Che having borderline personality disorder—Che is just a narcissist.

I rewatched the first SATC movie and this really highlighted the change in Miranda. Old Miranda was an involved mother to her young son, desperately wounded by Steve’s infidelity, and chose to return to her marriage for emotional, not practical reasons. It’s possible for me to believe that Miranda never really got over the sense that Steve wasn’t her equal, and as time went on her dissatisfaction and sense of lack of connection grew. But we saw none of that.

I do wonder how the Hobbs-Brady household has been managing, as Miranda left her firm sometime ago, IIRC. At the start of this season she’s back in school and preparing to take an (probably unpaid) internship. Will she be completely dependent on Che? Perhaps that’s what she wants.  
 

I wonder if we’ll ever seen Steve or Brady again. I suspect not, unless at some point they want to use Steve as a link to Aidan.

The confusion about time was more evidence of how sloppy the writers were.

  • Love 7
Link to comment

I love hate watching and I love complaining (in general). I also have way less to say about something I enjoy. 🤷‍♀️

I totally agree about the SO getting to make the decisions and Big would have let his final wishes be known. Also it really didn’t look like Carrie was close with his relatives she even made some comment about how “If you knew me better you’d know I have a thing for shoes”.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I don't know.  Has HBO Max given any indication of how many people are watching the show?  That helps to remind me that even if there is a vocal contingent of viewers and/or critics who does not like the series, there may be many people out there who are perfectly fine with the show, but don't comment on it.   

The HBO guy said the numbers were phenomenal but didn't share what those numbers were. Without knowing it is hard to know if he's telling the truth. I would guess they will get a second season though. 

Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Hate-watching is not without value.  My GF has sucked me into as many shows that we've watched together just to snark on as there are ones that we've held in high regard.  And then there are ones that I call Mindless Entertainment - just fun because of the premise, a character, or whatever.  Not really hurting anybody, but not exactly Appointment TV.

Hate-watching extended Smash into 2 seasons. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by slowpoked
Link to comment

Thoughts on the missed Mitzvah: Charlotte saying she "passed insane, like, three months ago". LOL! At least she's aware.

Enjoyed Anthony saying of his hot fellas "They're all cut so, close enough" and Charlotte shushing him.

Harry (Evan Handler) doesn't look as unhealthy thin as I'd first thought. He looks as if he's lost weight, maybe quickly (dieting for the show?), and a few people I've known who lost many pounds rather quickly looked unhealthily thin for a short time. Hope he's ok.

Why is Carrie getting involved with her "boss"? He's much more in the role of a boss than Che was. Would have been nice to just end it on "...and this is Sex and the City" or when Franklin is telling her she'll improve and they're both smiling at each other. I don't like how she diminished Peter asking if he could kiss her (which can be sexy) and made it seem like the "spontaneous" unasked kiss in the elevator is the only way to have it feel sexy and passionate. I just thought, "Eh, so Carrie's got a man again." 

  • Love 7
Link to comment
6 hours ago, chediavolo said:

And we don’t know if she even had the decency to inform his family she was dumping his ashes in another country. 

That's a thing, too. Big wasn't just Carrie's husband. He was also his brothers' brother. We don't know what their relationships were like, but what if they were close? And his bros knew him longer than Carrie did.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I don’t understand the outrage about Rock not wanting the Bat Mitzvah.  Heiffa springs her new name/non-binary on Charlotte and Harry and seems to always rebel anyway, I’d think they would know that giving her a Bat Mitzvah wouldn’t be a good idea.  And her not studying the Torah, etc. should have given them a clue.  Nu?  (Okay, I was grooving to Barbra Streisand’s Second Hand Rose this morning, leave me alone!)

Disappointed at Brady’s nonchalance of his mother running to Cali, hell, at stomping the heart of his father.  Where’s the well deserved “FUCK YOU, MA!” that Miranda surely needs?!

Love Nicole Ari Parker but if there is a season two she’s going to need more to do….and a better wardrobe, what in the actual bluedilly fuck was with the Hadji from Johnny Quest hat about?!

I really like Seema (especially her thick mane of hair).  Clawd have mercy, Zen looked good in those boxer shorts and their romping about the bed while she was talking to Carrie was hot.

Maybe I’m the only one but I loved Peter asking Carrie permission to kiss her….it was very sweet yet sexy at the same time. 

I don’t need to hear Todd Rundgren’s Hello, It’s Me anymore as I’m tired of crying.  Damned song!

Why couldn’t Jackie and Carrie do the podcast?  Didn’t see the elevator kiss coming at all, meowrrr!!

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

I don’t understand the outrage about Rock not wanting the Bat Mitzvah.  Heiffa springs her new name/non-binary on Charlotte and Harry and seems to always rebel anyway, I’d think they would know that giving her a Bat Mitzvah wouldn’t be a good idea.  And her not studying the Torah, etc. should have given them a clue.  Nu?  (Okay, I was grooving to Barbra Streisand’s Second Hand Rose this morning, leave me alone!)

I think there was outrage because it was the day of the event, and this seemed to be the first time Rock was refusing to go through with it.  I can only speak for my experience, but it's a very big family event and years of planning and study goes into it.  And that doesn't even get into the tens of thousands of dollars Harry and Charlotte likely spent to put together the whole thing.  I saw Rock's decision as selfish and extremely immature.     

I did really like Rabbi Jen.  Her whole look was flawless, and she had a very good head on her shoulders. 

  • Love 12
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Steve was not outside helping his (soon to be ex) wife and kid get a cab and to say goodbye?

I wondered why he wasn't at the they-mitzvah. He's known Charlotte and Harry a long time and possibly was involved in birthday parties and other celebrations and such.

  • Love 7
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I was asked "I don’t get why people hate Che so much."

I'm okay with Che, particularly in the last  few episodes where they came off as more of an actual person. (Maybe it helps that I like the actor a lot from their years on Grey's.) 

I do hate Miranda at this point, though.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I need a whole separate series about the adventures of Rabbi Jen. Other than the intrusive bathroom scene, I found her quite charming and entertaining. 

Speaking of that intrusive bathroom scene, I don't even know why the writers felt like Rabbi Jen needed to be there. I thought the back-and-forth between Carrie and Miranda was written better than 95% of this series (albeit a low bar and notwithstanding the absence of the reverse "you're living in a fantasy" callback I so hoped for) and didn't need a tertiary character to butt in to remind them they are (supposedly) best friends. 

That scene with Miranda and the grandmothers had so much potential, but in the end, she barely even interacted with them. Except to stupidly ask "What's going on?" over and over. I hardly call that "meeting the family" and I would have gained more from that scene if Miranda sat and had an actual conversation with the family rather than the "I'm Che. I do what I want" sidebar we got. I understand we were supposed to see the three of them sitting in a row and extrapolate that this is why Miranda chose to dye her hair back to red, but I would have liked to see more reaction from Miranda, maybe about feeling old sitting next to them. Instead, we got low-IQ Miranda in a daze about where she was and what she was doing. I suppose they were also going for some symmetry between the first episode when she defends her gray hair to this final episode where she's back to red. 

I wish they hadn't spoiled Jackie's surprise wedding in the trailer for this episode. There really was no reason to, and if they wanted to show Carrie interacting with Jackie outside of work, there were other parts of that scene that were less spoiler-y. 

ETA: I forgot to add - Anthony as the Sky Masterson understudy in Guys and Dolls. Love that for him. 

 

 

Edited by mstar1125
forgot something
  • Love 5
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Emmybean said:

Re Che having borderline personality disorder—Che is just a narcissist.

She even said so!

2 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

That's a thing, too. Big wasn't just Carrie's husband. He was also his brothers' brother. We don't know what their relationships were like, but what if they were close? And his bros knew him longer than Carrie did.

The people I know who chose cremation for their spouse, parent, or child usually took into account the feelings of others, whether it was children or siblings or parent(s) of the deceased. Some chose to inter them, put them in a niche, or keep them at home in a single urn, and some distributed the ashes among a few loved ones to keep or scatter as they chose. There are options and Big's brother had the right to ask. He wanted to know if there was a place he could visit or if she might be planning a final ceremony he could attend. He also wanted to let her know there was a spot for John in the Preston crypt and that Carrie could have a place there also, if she chose, where she and John could "be together forever". And story-wise it worked to make her think about being "together forever" (like Steve who said he won't take off the ring) or if she was ready to take the next step in letting go.

  • Love 10
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Shermie said:

This. I remember how indignant Miranda was when Carrie planned to give up her hard-earned career to follow her love to a faraway place. Carrie asked her, “What are you going to do all day?”, which Miranda asked Carrie. I really was hoping Carrie would have brought up that previous argument.

Nope. The brother might miss Big, but no one misses the dead person as much as their significant other, so that’s the person who calls the shots. After someone dies, so many people seem to think they have a say in funeral plans, visitation, gravestones, etc. Note to survivors: it’s not about you. When my son died suddenly last year, it was up to his wife to make the decisions about the funeral, not us. If she asked us for input, great, but if not, also great, because it wasn’t about us. And it sure as hell wasn’t about any other random person who wondered why they couldn’t attend the funeral (limited capacity due to Covid).

Besides, if you believe in a soul, then the physical remains are meaningless since you believe the person is not in them anymore. And if you don’t believe in an afterlife, then it doesn’t matter where the person or their ashes are since there’s no essence of them left anymore. You can “talk” to a dead person anywhere; there doesn’t have to be an expensive chunk of granite or a fancy urn to make it possible.

I do find it amusing that so many posters seem to hate the entire series and vow not to watch again, but these episode threads are pretty active and detailed. I understand hate-watching for an ep or two, but that’s a lot time to devote to something that causes so much anger.

I loved the colour of Carrie’s big pouffy Paris gown, but I’ve never been a fan of strapless for the reason of this dress - looked like she was going to pop a boob any minute. The dress was huge, yet it seemed like it wasn’t enough coverage. Oddly, Emily in Paris had the same thing with a dress - lots of extraneous fabric but still seemed like it wasn’t enough on the actress. As for the amount of ashes in that Eiffel Tower purse, maybe she is giving some to the brother after all. 

Totally untrue I know more than one instance where the immediate family ( however you put this, I’m talking about mother father brothers sisters )grieved longer and harder than the spouse. Nothing substitutes your original family and sometimes people remain close and those bonds  can ever be broken. Not every couple gets to be soulmates or whatever. The family should not be left out 

  • Love 14
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Hate-watching extended Smash into 2 seasons. 🤷‍♀️

I didn't hate watch this.  I watch garbage all the time.  And usually when I start...I will finish it just to know what happens.  

This show was a train wreck but I am someone used to watch the theme lifetime movie weekends. You know Murder Madness Saturday, Spirit Bullies Sunday

  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

Totally untrue I know more than one instance where the immediate family ( however you put this, I’m talking about mother father brothers sisters )grieved longer and harder than the spouse. Nothing substitutes your original family and sometimes people remain close and those bonds  can ever be broken. Not every couple gets to be soulmates or whatever. The family should not be left out 

Very true. The widowed spouse may in time get a new spouse. But it's unlikely (and pretty difficult when grown) to get a new sibling or parent. 

  • Love 7
Link to comment
1 hour ago, yellowjacket said:

Apparently Che has a grandma fetish.  That's all I got.

I'm a couple years younger than Miranda so this isn't ageist. For us to belive they would be a couple Miranda would need to step it up.  If only for her confidence.  Che is supposedly a very well known celeb who gets approached a lot by fans.   And mostly likely gets hit on by fans and vice versa since that is more or less how her and Miranda got together. With Miranda looking the way she did she is going to be mistaken for her publicist or something.   She has always been insecure when it came to her romantic partners.  Yet another thing they failed to recognize with this new and not improved Miranda.

  • Love 12
Link to comment

The lamp scenes really touched me. My sister passed away last year and one of my lamps randomly turned on one night after I went to bed. I've always wondered if that was her and this felt like it confirmed it. I think she took it to the repair shop to see if it was Big or just a faulty wire.

Loved Anthony and his one-liners.

Don't care about Nya's storyline.

  • Love 12
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Cheeseball said:

The lamp scenes really touched me. My sister passed away last year and one of my lamps randomly turned on one night after I went to bed. I've always wondered if that was her and this felt like it confirmed it. I think she took it to the repair shop to see if it was Big or just a faulty wire.

Loved Anthony and his one-liners.

Don't care about Nya's storyline.

After my husband died the lamp on his nightstand would randomly come on. It was a touch lamp and I wasn't touching it.  I've heard electricity is something that spirits can use to make their presence known. 

If there is a second season and Carrie moves I expect to see that lamp in her new place.

  • Love 13
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

The problem was that the dress wore her, not the other way around. It just swallowed her up into a big, shapeless, tangerine mass. It wasn't pretty or flattering. It was just a mess of fabric.

Everything she wears wears her. She just looks ridiculous 90% of the time. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Teacher of adults here. Re Miranda and Nya:

1) You should not be that mutually intimate with current students, period. 

2) This ep's scenes dramatized why: Miranda and Nya trade jokes about getting a punitive A-. Well, what if Miranda does some actual A- work? Nya will now have to wonder whether she can assign the actual grade Miranda earned or whether Miranda will read the A- as some external indicator of something else, and Miranda will wonder if it was her work or her last dinner conversation with Nya that earned the A-...anyway, you see the problem. (And joking about it like they did actually makes the problem WORSE, not better.)

When the student is no longer your student, consenting adults, blah-blah-blah, fine. Whatever. (I don't do it, but don't see a problem with it.) But a current student? No way. Being that non-sexually intimate with a current student is wrong, for all the same reasons being sexually intimate with a current student is wrong.

Edited by Penman61
  • Useful 3
  • Love 17
Link to comment
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I think there was outrage because it was the day of the event, and this seemed to be the first time Rock was refusing to go through with it.  I can only speak for my experience, but it's a very big family event and years of planning and study goes into it.  And that doesn't even get into the tens of thousands of dollars Harry and Charlotte likely spent to put together the whole thing.  I saw Rock's decision as selfish and extremely immature.     

Same. I'm agnostic and don't appreciate religion being shoved down my throat, but Charlotte and Harry put so much into this event for Rock to have an issue day of. 

It's kind of the same with Miranda being an atheist. I WANT to believe in the afterlife, but when I hear the whole "they came to me in a dream," I also think you dreamed of them. But I wouldn't say that to someone newly widowed. If something comforts someone you love, let them believe in it.

  • Love 10
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Penman61 said:

Professor here. Re Miranda and Nya:

1) You should not be that mutually intimate with current students, period. 

2) This ep's scenes dramatized why: Miranda and Nya trade jokes about getting a punitive A-. Well, what if Miranda does some actual A- work? Nya will now have to wonder whether she can assign the actual grade Miranda earned or whether Miranda will read the A- as some external indicator of something else, and Miranda will wonder if it was her work or her last dinner conversation with Nya that earned the A-...anyway, you see the problem. (And joking about it like they did actually makes the problem WORSE, not better.)

When the student is no longer your student, consenting adults, blah-blah-blah, fine. Whatever. (I don't do it, but don't see a problem with it.) But a current student? No way. Being that non-sexually intimate with a student is wrong, for all the same reasons being sexually intimate with a current student is wrong.

I was friends my with a couple of professors during college and they didn't seem to have any issues giving me the grades I deserved.  Now as a boss, I have been friends with subordinates and still able to discipline them if it is required. I feel like this is based on the person.  Some people can be friends and absolutely separate that when need be.  And some people cannot.  No judgment on either, but if you know are the latter...then don't have friendships in these situations like you stated. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

Totally untrue I know more than one instance where the immediate family ( however you put this, I’m talking about mother father brothers sisters )grieved longer and harder than the spouse. Nothing substitutes your original family and sometimes people remain close and those bonds  can ever be broken. Not every couple gets to be soulmates or whatever. The family should not be left out 

Well, I can only speak for my recently deceased son and his soulmate wife and how we dealt with it as an extended family. Your grief may vary.

  • Love 6
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Same. I'm agnostic and don't appreciate religion being shoved down my throat, but Charlotte and Harry put so much into this event for Rock to have an issue day of. 

It's kind of the same with Miranda being an atheist. I WANT to believe in the afterlife, but when I hear the whole "they came to me in a dream," I also think you dreamed of them. But I wouldn't say that to someone newly widowed. If something comforts someone you love, let them believe in it.

You can be an atheist and still believe in an afterlife. Lots of people question their beliefs after a loved one dies.  Especially if they die unexpectedly.  Miranda was just being her new pushy self.

  • Love 10
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Shermie said:

Well, I can only speak for my recently deceased son and his soulmate wife and how we dealt with it as an extended family. Your grief may vary.

I am so sorry, to lose someone out of the natural order never makes sense.

I lost my brother to leukemia going on 27 years, now my parents are gone, that grief still lingers, it changes, it becomes different and still some days it can hit you like it just happened. 

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

If the professor was originally supposed to be Miranda's love interest, that makes so much sense. She seems way more like the type of person who Miranda might go for, certainly more then Che, and a lot of their early interactions (besides Miranda's parade of cringe when they first met) came off as rather romantic. She probably didn't even originally have a husband and was an out queer woman who would serve as Miranda's closet key. Then Cynthia Nixon, for whatever reason, didn't want her to be her love interest, so they created Che but still wanted to keep the character, so they created this story  about her marriage and fertility problems just to give her something to do besides being the token minority friend that all three woman got. No wonder it felt so half assed and never even got an ending, her original story was supposed to be about her and Miranda falling in love. 

I cant say that I would have liked that very much either, especially if it involved Miranda unapologetically cheating on Steve, but I cant see Nya fingerbanging Miranda while she's supposed to be looking after Carrie or Miranda laughing like a loon at everything she ever says, so it already sounds at least a teeny bit more tolerable. And we would have at least been spared the nonbinary Jar Jar Binks that is Che Diaz.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 15
Link to comment
On 2/3/2022 at 5:36 AM, T Summer said:

Rock should've been clear about not doing the "theymitzvah"  before the day and all the expense and people traveling to Harry and Charlotte's.

I just had so many obnoxious thoughts about that. Primarily, Charlotte gave up Christ for you!  I also had to Google "is sourdough bread kosher?"

Edited by Klawdel
bread question
  • Love 4
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...