Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Seeing the Light

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Let it die ... let this be a fever dream of Samantha's and just end it please 

There is no way this is not renewed. It has been getting a huge response. It doesn't matter that there is a small group of loud people who criticize the show.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, Linda956 said:

I won't go over what's already been said beautifully by everyone else regarding the fact that Rock is a brat and Miranda is dead to me.  What I would like to mention is how annoyed I was with Carrie's decision to dump Big's ashes in Paris (and don't even get me started on that ridiculous dress she just felt the need to wear for the occasion).  They make a point of showing Big's brother and his concern about where Big is going to be interred, etc. and yet no one else was in Paris with Carrie?  Did she even bother to let them know what she was going to do or take their feelings into consideration?  I know if my brother died and my sister-in-law pulled a stunt like that and scattered his ashes in another country without letting us know, I would be furious!  Yes, she's his wife, but there are family members involved here and depending on their feelings, maybe they would have liked to be able to visit a cemetery and pray over the ashes.  I have several friends and family members who have done this.  Maybe it's just me, but I just didn't like what she did with his ashes.

They just decided Big was gonna be this person who wouldn’t have estate planning and burial worked out (Ignore him leaving Natasha $1,000,000). Fits with New Big, a guy who’s suddenly into Yacht Rock, even though we’ve only ever heard him play/sing jazz standards and ballads.

And yes, Carrie is shitty for burying him on another continent right after his brother asked about burying him in the family mausoleum.

• Love 11

Apparently, in the Documentary they reveal, just incidentally like no big deal, that the original idea was for Miranda and Nya to get together, but Cynthia Nixed (see what I did there) that in favor of her getting together with Che instead.  It makes so much sense as to why this show didn’t work.  I’m not going to repost, but I posted about it in the documentary thread, but it could equally belong here when discussing the ending.

Edited by Rebecca berkowit
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8

The last episode was definitely, for me, the best of this run. The tone was lighter.

I really like Charlotte getting they-mitzvahed. When I first read about Rock refusing to do it, I thought that's what they should do. It was really cute. (I'm a little concerned about how thin and somewhat frail-looking Evan Handler is.)

Miranda's a bitch. It was awful of her to try to ram her view of heaven/no heaven down Carrie's throat. I agree with everyone who said you let people deal with it in their own way.

I hope KD leaves her face alone if there is another run. Even in this episode, which I liked, I felt it would be so much better if she looked normal instead of having that strange frozen Joker grin all the time.

SJP looked beautiful in the last scene, and in the they-mitzvah scene. I don't know how I feel about the all-out (or in) kiss at the end. I sort of felt it was too soon, but I'm not totally against it. Edited to add: I agree with the poster who said that it just didn't feel earned.

The thing about ashes is they don't all have to go one place. She could have given some to Big's brother and scattered some in NYC, Paris, and Napa.

If they bring it back, I hope Steve has gotten back with Debbie. I liked her.  Maybe Debbie could be widowed, too, or divorced. They'd both be older and wiser. And she can still call Brady "Brady-licious."

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 11
29 minutes ago, Harvey said:

There is no way this is not renewed. It has been getting a huge response. It doesn't matter that there is a small group of loud people who criticize the show.

Small group? *looks around* this thing has been shredded by everyone… the small group would more likely be the people who like it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 21

One thing that I may have missed in the Che saying goodbye to the podcast team - wasn't it implied in an earlier episode that the big boss of the podcast was the woman  in the wheelchair? I'm surprised she wasn't there when Che bid goodbye. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

6 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Small group? *looks around* this thing has been shredded by everyone… the small group would more likely be the people who like it. 

Exactly! The two people I know who like it have been wishy-washy in their praise. They like it because 1) they're revisiting characters they loved through all the many seasons and two movies and admit it's the nostalgia factor, and 2) because it's a light escape during winter blahs. That's what they told me after saying things like "I know, Miranda's story is a mess but..." and "Well, there are lots of problems, but..." 

It will still get renewed though.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I'm on this boat. Although it is very much arguable that only a "small group" of people criticize the show.

I think this will get an S2 because:

1. MPK, SJP, HBO Max, etc., have heard the criticisms of die-hard fans and took it to heart, and will deliver a much-improved S2.

OR

2. MPK, SJP, HBO Max, etc., have heard the criticisms of die-hard fans, and as a middle-finger to us all, will have the first episode of S2 with a Che comedy concert with Miranda leading the way for all their groupies in LA.

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, brillia79 said:

Fits with New Big, a guy who’s suddenly into Yacht Rock, even though we’ve only ever heard him play/sing jazz standards and ballads.

And yes, Carrie is shitty for burying him on another continent right after his brother asked about burying him in the family mausoleum.

They could have had the recurring song be "Moon River," which they danced to when he was leaving for Napa.

And you're right. It sucks that anyone who wants to "visit" with Big (even if only his brother is left) has to fly abroad (although I guess money is no issue for them).

• Love 10
45 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

I like Jackie a lot. He's kind of just a normal (as in non-narcissistic), sweet, funny young guy and the energy gets lively when he and Carrie get together. They may be my favorite friendship on AJLT.

One scene that I liked and made me laugh was when Carrie called Jackie for advice on how to deal with her noisy neighbor on the stoop. They had a good interaction and as much as I disliked his podcast personality in the beginning, I ended up liking the character, except for the smoking. 

Why is this show trying to make smoking a thing? At least Carrie quit (again).

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

But that is where Big rescued Carrie and they knew they were meant for each other, it was on that bridge where he declared his love for her so I guess she wanted to go back to where it all started

To be fair, Big also fell in love with Natasha in Paris, so…

Also, the dream sequence was obviously and terribly edited.  I get that they couldn’t use Noth but I think skipping it entirely and just having Carrie mention “oh, I dreamt about Big in Paris” would’ve been fine.

I’m going to be actually nice about something in the show and say that I’ve really enjoyed that Charlotte’s conversion to Judaism has continued as an actual plot point and an integral part of her character rather than just “she’s doing it for Harry.”  Rock was an absolute brat and they should’ve brought up their qualms months if not years prior.  The situation also probably should’ve warranted *some* discussion about how Lily’s bat mitzvah went.  

Also, literally nobody asked you, Rabbi Jen, so maybe stay out of Carrie and Miranda’s business.

I’ll add to the people here and on Twitter pointing out that podcasts don’t do *live* call-ins.  And of COURSE Carrie gets the wish fulfillment of going from being terrible at podcasts to having her own.  And the workplace inappropriate romance!   The writers should’ve just had Carrie have her own podcast in the first place and spared us the indignity of Che.

“Death is the ultimate break-up!”  Oh, so *now* you’re fine with the post-it?

Also, Miranda, you literally once suspected your apartment had a ghost so maybe don’t dismiss Carrie’s view of the afterlife as “woo-woo.”

I didn’t think hotels had smoking floors anymore, Seema.  

This could have been and should have been a decent show if they had focused on the throughline of Carrie mourning Big and coping with dating after Big.  But instead they had to turn it into the Che and Miranda show, instead, destroying a fan favorite character beyond recognition.  

Great job!

I loved when Carrie asked Miranda what she was going to do in LA, “sit in an audience and laugh?”  As if AJLT knows the first thing about audience laughter.

• Love 12

LOL, for all the "updates" this show has done to "bring it" to 2021/2022, and yet they fail on one of the most basic pop culture changes that has happened since SATC ended. 

I thought they have 29-year olds writing on this show? No one among them ever said, "hey, this isn't a podcast. Let's call it something else."

• Love 10

I’m also annoyed by the fact that it was obvious to many here and to me that Franklin the “podcast” producer was going to be a love interest simply because he was too bizarrely good-looking to just be a background character. This show didn’t take the twists the turns it thought it did.

• Love 8
57 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

They could have had the recurring song be "Moon River," which they danced to when he was leaving for Napa.

I've always thought of Moon River as Big and Carrie's song, in that I Heart NY episode, still my most favorite SATC episode ever. Like Big said, it's by Sinatra, and the song is so NY. I wonder why the writers didn't revisit that for AJLT. I mean, I like "Hello, It's Me" fine, but Moon River was more Big and Carrie, in that in the end it all fits and make sense, even though the individual words/lyrics didn't 🤷‍♀️

• Love 9
4 hours ago, slowpoked said:

It's been around a year since Big has died, so I think I'm going to give Carrie the leeway here that that is enough time for her to move on. Although I think there's really no hard, fast "rules" in situations like this.

I thought the OP's point was that Carrie is already snagging two of the hot 50 something eligible men in NYC when in reality,  they (unfortunately and unfairly) would likely be dating 30 or 40 something women. 

3 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Yes! What the fuck. Are the people writing this over 70?

If they were,  they wouldn't have portrayed 50 somethings as elderly and decrepit.  I think it's the opposite.

21 minutes ago, DiabLOL said:

Cigarettes were the real stars of this shit show.

Seriously what was the point of all the smoking?  And hotels, to my knowledge,  haven't had 'smoking' floors for decades. 

• Love 16
5 hours ago, slowpoked said:

That scene with Che at the bar where you're trying to process them moving to LA? Old Miranda wouldn't have bought all that BS about "I want to tell the person that I love along with the other people I love..."

I thought it was a setup when she had Miranda sit between her two grandmas and that someone was going to come up and say, So great to meet Che's three grandmas!

• LOL 20
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, JeanJean said:

I like Jackie a lot. He's kind of just a normal (as in non-narcissistic), sweet, funny young guy and the energy gets lively when he and Carrie get together.

Bobby Lee is 50...just sayin'.

Too much disrespect in this episode from characters old enough to do better.  Miranda repeatedly shitting on Carrie's afterlife talk. At this stage in adulthood one usually learns to allow others to believe what they like if it is something personal which has no affect up on others.  Seema unable to hit pause on her sexfest to give a friend five minutes to talk about something weighing on them. Not to mention her equally adolescent partner, Zed, who couldn't give Seema a few minutes to finish her call.  

Is there a Razzie Award category for worst wigs?  I doubt there would be any competition for whatever was thrown on Cynthia Nixon's head throughout this series.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, Evie said:

Rock should have spoken up before the big day. I did laugh at how Charlotte and Harry both gasped when Rock said they didn't want to be a New Yorker. 

Heh. I laughed at that too.  As for Rock not speaking up: That could have been handled in a much more nuanced way than them just saying THE DAY OF "eh, no I'm not doing this".  Given a little more screen time the writers could have actually shown Rock struggling with not wanting to disappoint their parents and finally telling them at the last minute - and exhibiting some actual angst about it rather than just being a total brat.  

Edited by Maurina
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

It just occurred to me that the Paris trip, besides giving SJP an excuse to wear a ball gown,  was also an excuse to have an off-screen meeting between Carrie and Samantha and pretend that someday they will convince Cattrall to come back. Even if it's only for a 2 minute cameo.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Was Carrie's orange ball gown made from Miranda's old Sex and the City orange sheets a la Carol Burnett and Gone With The Wind?

The most disturbing thing to me about Miranda is that she never checked in with Brady to see how he was doing with his parents' split. He was still a minor, and I'm pretty sure that's called "parenting."

Edited by JeanJean
  • LOL 11
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Lethallyfab said:

I didn’t think hotels had smoking floors anymore, Seema.  

I got stuck in Charlotte, NC due to airport delays and the hotel in which they put me up definitely had a smoking floor, because I was on it. Fortunately, the room didn't smell of stale cigarette smoke, but the hallway ABSOLUTELY did. 

But that's North Carolina, cigarette capital of the United States, not what was clearly a luxury hotel in New York. . . 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

Was Carrie's orange ball gown made from Miranda's old Sex and the City orange sheets a la Carol Burnett and Gone With The Wind?

The most disturbing thing to me about Miranda is that she never checked in with Brady to see how he was doing with his parents' split. He was still a minor, and I'm pretty sure that's called "parenting."

Oh don’t you worry, I’m sure there will be a throwaway line if there is a second season where Miranda vaguely mentions that long discussion she had with Brady. We as the audience just never get to see that though. We get to see her laughing like a hyena over Che’s limp comedy.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

And just like that we have been put out of our misery.

Rock is a brat. Charlotte and Harry should have made them go out and do the ceremony.  If I was their parent I would ship Rock off to volunteer at soup kitchens and food pantries for a year to teach them the value of a dollar and how privileged they are. 

The wedding was insufferable.  The part where the officiant said: "You may kiss each other or do whatever will get most likes for Insta."  WTF?!?!?!  So is this the future? Whatever you do, it's for the 'gram?

Why didn't John's brother come again to the funeral?!?!?

I was hoping at the last moment Che dumps Miranda cause she deserves it. Damn show doing what CN wants.  I can't believe after all that. The '90s and the '00's that we are STILL at the point where a woman will dump her career aspirations and dreams to follow her heart for another person to live out THEIR dreams. The Professor is right and I liked her.  I hope Che cheats on Miranda in LA. I want Steve finds a nice lady to live with who will treat him right and be ok with tv and ice cream.

I was hoping that Carrie would have been arrested for dumping John's ashes in the water.  That's polluting Carrie.  I would have cheered if the French police were hauling her off in that BIG ball gown. 

Seema will forever be a delight. As well as Anthony.

Please... no season 2. Just let it die.

Edited by greekmom
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

One thing. Anthony was really good this episode. He was robustly in character and brought the laughs and was the highlight of any episode he was in, and the entire season, really.

2 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Why didn't John's brother come again to the funeral?!?!?

He was at the funeral service, he was officiating. It was just another crack at old people with Carrie thinking he must have dementia, and had forgotten Big had died.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, violet and green said:

One thing. Anthony was really good this episode. He was robustly in character and brought the laughs and was the highlight of any episode he was in, and the entire season, really.

He was at the funeral service, he was officiating. It was just another crack at old people with Carrie thinking he must have dementia, and had forgotten Big had died.

Mario Cantone is a national treasure.  I saw him do a one-man show a few years ago--hilarious.  I also love listening to his annual appearances on the Gilbert Gotfried Christmas podcast.  He does the Robin Williams running patter thing, but so much better IMHO.  Less manic somehow. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

A while back I saw an analysis of the original show, and it had the interesting thesis that Big was not only a fully-fleshed out character, but also symbolized the mystique and fantasy of super-wealthy New York.  Carrie wanting this hard-to-pin-down, stereotypically desirable guy was an analogy of people trying to make it in New York based on the Hollywood-ized version of New York (basically, New York equated to the rich parts of Manhattan).  

Ooooooo. I would be curious to read this thesis.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, violet and green said:

[Big’s brother] was at the funeral service, he was officiating. It was just another crack at old people with Carrie thinking he must have dementia, and had forgotten Big had died.

What is wrong with these writers??? That dementia “joke” setup was ageist and tasteless. 

The brother of course should have said, “Where are John’s remains?” the first time, as a normal person would. And Carrie told the exact truth but I would have said simply that they were in my apartment. Thus he imagines an urn perhaps, not still in an unopened cardboard box on a shelf next to her “very best shoes”. 

Edited by RedHawk
Corrected Carrie's quote
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, slowpoked said:

I thought they have 29-year olds writing on this show? No one among them ever said, "hey, this isn't a podcast. Let's call it something else."

You know a radio call in advice show?! LOL. Like the ones popular in the 80's. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

They’re still popular now!  Carrie wants what Delilah has.  

(I want to say it was Entertainment Weekly who did a deep dive on Delilah a few years ago and it was fascinating.)

S2 should just be an Anthony, Seema and Samantha spin-off.  They would be vastly more interesting than what’s currently happening.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

'shredded by everyone' has absolutely no correlation to viewing and subscribing numbers, from HBO's POV. And to shred it you have to watch in the first place. I am sure HBO Max is over the moon about the engagement this show has gotten. 

• Love 5

Okay, I'm only six minutes in and already I'm yelling at Miranda. STFU! How dare you shit on Carrie for wanting to believe in Heaven, wanting to think that some essence of Big lived on? Jesus Christ. Are you that threatened because someone else's beliefs change in a completely inconsequential way? Carrie specifically said "this makes me feel better" and Miranda was nothing but mocking. I fucking HATE this new Miranda. Her self-absorption is bordering on narcissism. 

Carrie, STOP TRYING TO WIN THE DISASTER OLYMPICS. You should've led with the Post-It story.

Finally, a performance of Che's I can applaud--because they were actually good. Sarah Ramirez is a great singer, even if that whole set up was cheesy as hell.

Miranda looked like one of the grandmothers at Che's announcement--that outfit made her look ancient.

The actress playing Nya did incredible work in her scene in the office. Just fantastic, nuanced acting.

Podcast guy's girlfriend--that OUTFIT! She was stunning!

LOVED Carrie's obvious but polite skepticism re: Miranda's blithe "I'll have to fly to Paris from LA." Miranda's stupid, hopeful smile--UGH.

This conversation is clearly a retread of the Carrie/Miranda conversation about moving to Paris with Aleksander. OTOH, Carrie is saying what we all feel.

I really like Rabbi Jen.

Rock was an absolute brat. Sorry. Charlotte and Harry have been fantastic parents, catering to them, trying to understand their needs. But waiting until THE DAY OF the b'nai mitzvah, embarrassing their parents like that, is unbelievably entitled and selfish. (Even if I did laugh at C&H's reaction to "not even a New Yorker.") Shame on them.

Miranda looked much better with the red hair and the bronze shirt but too little, too late. Her character's been assassinated. Don't care what happens to her. Go away and never come back.

Loved Carrie's outfit on the bridge. But why can't she put some of the ashes in the Seine and some in the family crypt?

I like the teacher better than the producer. He seemed to come up out of nowhere.

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

'shredded by everyone' has absolutely no correlation to viewing and subscribing numbers, from HBO's POV. And to shred it you have to watch in the first place. I am sure HBO Max is over the moon about the engagement this show has gotten. 

You are acting like this reboot is beloved by the fans when its not again EVERYOINE fans included have shredded this ... they watched this in horror .... thinking that somehow they would course correct and they didn't ... The writers have even said how much blow back they got from the fans with the things they did .... 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

Absolutely NO interest in watching the documentary, and just so, SO disappointed with this.

Nope. Not gonna watch it, it's just going to be total spin and I'm not giving them that additional affirmation.

6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

No wonder this show has no idea how a podcast works, it clearly has no idea how a show works. There is a LOT to unpack here, but right now, all I have to say is fuck this show, fuck its showrunners, and most important, fuck Miranda

YES

6 hours ago, bobbyjoe said:

[the episode of Che’s show begins.  Che is talking to a character who is very obviously based on Miranda.  It is a devastatingly accurate depiction of the AJLT version of Miranda that is cruel, mocking, and utterly makes her the butt of the joke for the whole episode] 

[surprisingly, Che’s show becomes a huge hit, and though we never see Che again, all of the second season Miranda is confronted by random people everywhere she goes who keep saying how much they love to hate that despicably pathetic self-obsessed Miranda character.  

Carrie can end the first episode by saying “And just like that… Miranda Hobbes learned about consequences.”] 

This. is. AWESOME. From your mouth to God's ears. It actually sounds like the writing of SATC!

4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

What even is there to say about Miranda at this point? I really wanted Carrie to finally give Miranda a reality check in the bathroom, let them really hash it out, everyone has been walking on eggshells around Miranda over her destroying her whole life for a third rate comedian, someone needs to tell her that she's behaving like a selfish moron. I wish I could say I was surprised that she didn't even bother to tell her best friends that she was moving across the country for months, but I'm not. Miranda has become a person who doesn't care about her friends, her husband, or her son, she only cares about her stoner mediocre comedian and getting fingerbanged while hysterically laughing at terrible comedy like she just inhaled Joker gas. Remember how Miranda started the season inspired to help use to law to help people and fight injustice? I guess that's all out the window, now she just wants to be a groupie for Che, a character who is less of a character and more of the personification of the "how do you do, fellow kids?" meme. In what alternate universe is Carrie the mature, responsible, empathetic person, and Miranda the selfish moron making stupid choices left and right? Are we in the mirror universe? What about Brady? Why is a teenager allowed to backpack around Europe for a whole summer? Why does he have no thoughts on his mom leaving his dad for a semi famous comedian? Of course, its because the show doesn't want us to think about Miranda ditching her son to deal with his parents sudden divorce without her, and be focused on the "romcom" of Miranda's terrible romance. Lets be honest, if Miranda was leaving behind her family and friends and giving up an amazing internship that her friend worked hard to get for her to follow a guy to California, they would never expect us to be happy about this. Its so bizarre, there are so many times when it seems like even other characters are sick of Miranda and are going to call her out, but then they always back off, and Miranda can just stupidly bleat "I'm following my heart!" and everyone acts like that's totally fine. She isn't even Miranda anymore, she's some kind of pod person who kind of looks like her, just in frumpy clothes and stupid wigs. Carrie asks a very good question, what IS she going to do in LA while Che is filming her pilot? "Following my heart" is not an actual life plan.

TennisGurl, this rant is *chef's kiss.* One of the best I've read on the Cheranda disaster. I really hope at some point CN is forced to confront how much she's blown this.

Like many others, I too think that Moon River should've been their song. I absolutely love that scene in SATC--it brings tears to my eyes. Big slowly doing the Twist: "It was the '60s...and my parents had the moves." Just beautiful. Plus the hopeful tone of Moon River is so Carrie.

• Love 5

I forced myself to watch. I am relieved its done and honestly hope there is no more. And if so, please banish Che and Miranda forever. Miranda is completely insufferable. 

and I’m pissed that John Corbett said he would be on and then wasn’t. I was always Team Aidan so I’m salty that I didn’t get to gaze upon his beauty to take the sting out of dealing with Pod Miranda. 

Edited by TiredMe
  • Love 5