Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E13: Larry's Journey

• Start Topic

For Larry, a second weight loss surgery would mean a second chance at a career as a gospel recording artist. But a beautiful singing voice doesn't pair well with a 600-pound eating habit. If Larry can't make the choice to change, then no one can help him.

Original air date 2022.01.26

I have to say I don’t really understand this philosophy of telling a 650 lb. person to just go home and lose 40 lbs a month through sensible eating and exercise. If they can do that, why not just do that for 10 months and drop 400 lbs and not even get the surgery?

• Like 2
  • Love 11

This was a very dull episode & depressing at the same time, but It just breaks my heart whenever there is an adult that can’t read or struggles deeply. I grew up with a Father who couldn’t read, I’d read the mail to him,papers from school, mom’s shopping list etc. It always made him feel less than everyone else. Thankfully Technology has made his life a little easier these days. 

I don’t think Larry will ever lose enough weight to have a more fulfilling life, I could be wrong but i doubt it. 

Edited by Hellohappylife
  • Like 1
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, Tango64 said:

I have to say I don’t really understand this philosophy of telling a 650 lb. person to just go home and lose 40 lbs a month through sensible eating and exercise. If they can do that, why not just do that for 10 months and drop 400 lbs and not even get the surgery?

How was he able to live alone without being able to read??? How was he able to sign a lease, pay bills, etc.???

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, Roxie said:

I found him so hard to look at.  He has such an off-putting "resting" face.

I found it kind of disturbing just how quickly he would go from his ever so smiley smiling face when he was interacting with someone and then back to his rather scary looking resting face right after he was done with them.  I noticed it a lot.  With Dr. Now especially and in the scene where that lady showed him the apartment.  It made me see right through all his bullshit.  He's a complete fake who knows exactly what he's doing.  Sing to your bacon, act all charmingly clueless and praise the Lord all you want, Lar, I see you!  And Titus Andromedon, you are not.

Edited by Cementhead
formatting probs
  • Like 1
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, Tango64 said:

I think the reason they say lose so much over so many months, shows if the person is serious about losing weight, and following the nutritional and calorie requirements of the program.      If a patient can't follow the program before the surgery, then they won't follow it after. 

Also, Dr. Now is hoping to shrink the fat around the liver, and on the abdomen to make surgery easier.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
6 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think the reason they say lose so much over so many months, shows if the person is serious about losing weight, and following the nutritional and calorie requirements of the program.      If a patient can't follow the program before the surgery, then they won't follow it after. 

Right, I guess knew that is the theory behind it and obviously it works with some people. But with some of these folks it is just so obvious they don’t have the ability or willingness to do that. That’s when it seems farcical to prescribe it as if he’s talking to any kind of normal person. But I guess it’s that or just turn them away. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Cementhead said:

I found it kind of disturbing just how quickly he would go from his ever so smiley smiling face when he was interacting with someone and then back to his rather scary looking resting face right after he was done with them.  I noticed it a lot.  With Dr. Now especially and in the scene where that lady showed him the apartment.  It made me see right through all his bullshit.  He's a complete fake who knows exactly what he's doing.  Sing to your bacon, act all charmingly clueless and praise the Lord all you want, Lar, I see you!  And Titus Andromedon, you are not.

THIS! I found the change in his facial expressions so disturbing I had trouble paying attention. His "RBF" looked very angry, always knitted brows like he was fretting over something. Maybe it was the constant pain he said he was in. Then there was his odd manner of speech, like everything was coming from a pulpit. We get weird Margaret and Mom and now Larry...this is one oddball season. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

It was particularly jaw-dropping when those folks would pass along messages to us, as in "The Lord told me to tell you ________."  We finally decided to avoid the middle men and talk directly to Him for guidance.

I hope they didn't charge you for this service.

Larry and his wife were putting on an act for the cameras. I wonder if the new sofa was compliments of TLC.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Tango64 said:

I have thought that myself.  I understand why the doctors do that - to see if they can accomplish a lifestyle change after the surgery.   And, as another poster pointed out, to take fat off the body to make a surgery less risky.

3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Note to Larry:  Not all Pentecostal churches forbid cremation.  I'm thinking if God can haul your 600+ pound decomposed body out of the ground at the second coming, rehydrating ashes shouldn't be a problem.

THIS!!!!  I was raised Pentecostal  which is why I am now a heathen!  I decided that the physical, psychological, and sexual abuse was enough. I did not need spiritual abuse.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 5

Dr. Now has also said that, as they lose weight, it gets harder for them to keep losing. So he doesn't think that they can just stay on the diet and never need surgery but in some cases I think he needs them to lose weight to even be able to survive the surgery. In all cases he wants to see that they can follow the diet and lifestyle changes they will need after surgery.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I think the only winner in this episode was Lawrence, the caretaker. He's FREE!!!!

Dobby the house-elf was freed via an old sock.  What was used to free Lawrence?  A hamburger wrapper?  

• LOL 7
9 hours ago, Tango64 said:

Right, I guess knew that is the theory behind it and obviously it works with some people. But with some of these folks it is just so obvious they don’t have the ability or willingness to do that. That’s when it seems farcical to prescribe it as if he’s talking to any kind of normal person. But I guess it’s that or just turn them away. 

And I don't think he would ever turn anyone away without giving them a chance and a second chance and maybe a third chance.  Both as a physician and as a businessman, it's more like him to try.  Plus we have seen a few poundticipants have really slow start but then experience some kind of a 'come to Jesus' moment where they would stop fooling around and stick to the diet and qualify for surgery.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I confess I own several tie-die shirts (white background with green/aqua, blue-and-green, and pink-and-purple) that I actually wear on a fairly regular basis (I love how they are cut to hug my curves vs. squares like most t-shirts).  So I shall not throw stones! :)  

• Love 4
On 1/27/2022 at 6:38 PM, Hellga said:

we have seen a few poundticipants have really slow start but then experience some kind of a 'come to Jesus' moment where they would stop fooling around and stick to the diet and qualify for surgery.

Every single poundticipant fits this description in the sense that they all slowly let 300, 350, 400, etc. tick by without a “come to Jesus” moment. They all approached immobility, incontinence, unemployability, etc. without deciding to seek help. Since they are at 600+, they’re kind of slow starters by definition. So it makes sense that Dr. Now expects that to continue.

I still remember Road Rules Season 1 in 1995 when they went to a nudist colony and one nudist dude didn’t have to be blurred full frontal because his obese abdomen formed a skirt covering his junk. It was mind blowing for 20-year-old me to contemplate that there had to be a first morning when that dude had to lift his belly off his dick in order to pee…and somehow that hadn’t been enough to change his lifestyle. So yeah, slow starters.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 1/27/2022 at 8:27 AM, catlover79 said:

How was he able to live alone without being able to read??? How was he able to sign a lease, pay bills, etc.???

A fair number of people live alone without being able to read (not counting people who are blind), usually someone sets that up for them, and assists them when documents need to be executed.  Its very easy to do that now especially with everything being digital online. 

But you'd be surprised how many adults do not have "functional" literacy. Lawrence may have been able to read basic signs and numbers but that is it.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
On 1/26/2022 at 11:35 PM, Tango64 said:

(bolding mine) If someone is serious about changing, asking them to do something for a month or two without surgical intervention is one thing, asking them to keep up those patterns (even if they have the best intentions) for a year is another.

Think about "typical people" on a weight loss journey. Someone at a healthy weight but maybe just wants to "slim down" could eat 1200 calories a day for a few days, asking them to do that for a month straight is HELL of a lot harder- so exponentially think about someone who is super morbidly obese (like the participants), yes they can follow the diet for a month or two, but for 1-2yrs to get ALL the weight off? So weight loss slows as they get smaller, they aren't going to drop 400lbs in 10months. Even with surgery it usually takes people 1-2yrs to lose that much weight, sometimes more. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 2/4/2022 at 9:34 AM, mmecorday said:

I never knew I was supposed to sing to my buttermilk biscuits before taking a bite.

Now that I look back at it, I have had a few buttermilk biscuits in my life that were deserving of song.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 2/8/2022 at 12:14 PM, IvySpice said:

Now that I look back at it, I have had a few buttermilk biscuits in my life that were deserving of song.

Sometimes, when I cook fish (with the head on, not fillets), I will sing to the fish (there is a silly children's parody song, in Russian it actually rhymes) - 'fishy, fishy, where is your smile, full of fire and joy?" :)

Edited by Hellga
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3