Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, gingerella said:

This. Plus, if she was a person of color they wouldn't hesitate to disqualify her, IMO. But she's a pretty white Russian girl so...If they were doing the right thing here, they'd have already yanked the fold from the ROC team and they'd have disqualified her from the ladies competition. It's disgusting.

I really don't understand why race has to be brought into this. WADA/federations have not hesitated to strip people of medals regardless of their race. They take their time to ensure it's right not "oh it's a person of colour - yoink!" vs "oh it's a white girl, let's take our time" if Kamila were a POC they would still make sure the I's were dotted and the T's were crossed. 

get it right the first time, so you don't have to be bothered with Court of Arbitration of Sport and all that jazz

• Love 4
1 minute ago, GeminiDancer said:

Hanyu had two clean quads...

1 minute ago, GeminiDancer said:

Hanyu had two clean quads...

Also both were in the 2nd half of the program so he got the bonus points. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The Project Runway getup will be worn in one segment of Pairs. No clue who "dezigned" tonight's mess.

Ahhhh okay, I just remember the white and assumed that was it.  Shows you how much I was into PR this past season.

Jason was sublime.  That's everything I want out of a skate, just lovely and he was enjoying himself.  When you have that joy in what you are doing it just is beautiful to see.  

• Love 11
19 minutes ago, gingerella said:

This. Plus, if she was a person of color they wouldn't hesitate to disqualify her, IMO. But she's a pretty white Russian girl so...If they were doing the right thing here, they'd have already yanked the fold from the ROC team and they'd have disqualified her from the ladies competition. It's disgusting.

It doesn't matter what race she is BUT ... she's not white. She's part of the Russian Tatar minority. They are Muslim and closer to Turkic than white.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Enero said:

Also both were in the 2nd half of the program so he got the bonus points. 

I think people who preferred Jason's program (including myself) know that the math works out and the reason why but it's just an annoying part of figure skating. 

3 minutes ago, SophiaD said:

I'm not really getting a strong Sinatra vibe from this program.  Maybe it's the choreography, especially in the middle.

It felt a lot like he just skated from jump to jump.  And then looked a little sloppy in the dancier parts.

ETA:  Ouch.  That looked like that hurt.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5

Ugly fall for the Korean skater. Strong skate by the Korean despite the fall. Lots of potential. He definitely is one of the futures of men’s skating. :)

Go Shoma!

Edited by Enero
2 minutes ago, GeminiDancer said:

I notice that three jump combos aren't around much. Is there a reason why?

We don’t see the triple-double-doubles as much. It seems like the triple-Euler-triple is the popular three jump combo now.

it is something that Brian Orser has all these skaters and they are all medal contenders.... and i am just thinking why doesn't he have any Canadian skaters? Like Canadians don't wanna train with him? Brian doesn't wanna train Canadians? Some splainin' to do people!! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Chaser said:

At the very least, limit the amount of skaters who are allowed to use Bolero. 

I had an idea a few olympics ago - have a music registry. one person has that music and that's it. the world is FULL of music. go pick something new.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I'm surprised Shoma is having so much trouble with his landings. 

I’m not. Shoma often struggles in the LP. But I love the program. 

Wow. Will Yuzu make the podium after all. 

Why was the last spin not scored? That has to be an error. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1
Just now, Daisy said:

I had an idea a few olympics ago - have a music registry. one person has that music and that's it. the world is FULL of music. go pick something new.

Or make sure that skaters aren't using the same parts of the lengthy instrumental pieces so there's at least some variety among the familiar.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Daisy said:

it is something that Brian Orser has all these skaters and they are all medal contenders.... and i am just thinking why doesn't he have any Canadian skaters? Like Canadians don't wanna train with him? Brian doesn't wanna train Canadians? Some splainin' to do people!! 

There's been scuttlebutt over the years that Orser only accepts students who are already super-strong technically. Canadian singles has been weak for years.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Wait Shoma didn't get any points for that combination spin??? Or is that an NBC error?

If he didn't do the required number of rotations, the spin sequence is disallowed. It happened to Yuzuru once. 

Nice showing by Shoma regardless of the mistakes. Team Japan did us proud tonight.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 1

I’m that girl who only watches skating during the Olympics, and the combo with the (checks posts above) Euler in the middle always looks to me like they didn’t land the first jump correctly.  Like they skipped on the landing or something.  

• Love 10

And now you think, Hanyu...if you were clean...

Just now, TexasGal said:

I’m that girl who only watches skating during the Olympics, and the combo with the (checks posts above) Euler in the middle always looks to me like they didn’t land the first jump correctly.  Like they skipped on the landing or something.  

the same. the Euler is "new" to me. I usually watch the circuit at times (at least Skate Canada, etc) but i've never seen that before. i'm like... did they just step out?!

Just now, TexasGal said:

Yes!! And I never understood it while it was never called out. That post taught me something literally two minutes ago. lol

• Love 2