Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Enero said:

Argh Yuzu. Sigh. Oh well. He's a two time OGM. 

I know he's obsessed with the 4A, but I still don't know why he has it in the program when he's never landed it, as far as we know. 

I guess he just wanted to be the first. but now it just makes you wonder if he skated clean if he coulda pressured for a medal

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I guess he just wanted to be the first. but now it just makes you wonder if he skated clean if he coulda pressured for a medal

I think if he'd skated clean he would've definitely been in contention and might've slipped in for Bronze.

• Love 3

The man is a legend. He's much older than nearly everyone else on the ice and still able to skate at this level despite coming back from injuries that for most would have ended their careers. He keeps trying to push the sport forward and he's got absolutely nothing to be sorry for. 

INathan is now where Yuzuru was five years ago, before that first ankle injury. The sport moves forward but nothing that happens here takes away from everything that Yuzuru has accomplished. I hope to see him at Worlds but if he decides to call it a career after tonight, all I can say is that it's been a joy watching him all these years.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Enero said:

I know he's obsessed with the 4A, but I still don't know why he has it in the program when he's never landed it, as far as we know. 

I don't get attempting a jump he doesn't have. If you haven't mastered a jump, it isn't "brave" to try it. Just pointless. That's why I'm glad Jason isn't going for the quad salchow.

I agree though that it was brave for him to come back for a third run at it. A lot of people cut and run after winning once and won't even finish out the season with worlds.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I don't think that was the intention but Semenenko is making me think of Dracula. His outfit, and especially the gloves, are very bat-like and his cinematic choreography brings me straight to Dracula.

I got a creepy magician vibe but Dracula also works

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

I don't get attempting a jump he doesn't have. If you haven't mastered a jump, it isn't "brave" to try it. Just pointless. That's why I'm glad Jason isn't going for the quad salchow.

I don't get it either. I remember when Yuzu first started getting consistent with his quads and I believe at that time he said if he wasn't hitting it something like 60% of the time in practice it would not be put in the program.  I guess it was just determination to make it happen and...obsession as to why he put the 4A in this program. 

6 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

He looked so sad! That axel looked good in the air, but it wasn’t meant to be

I was happy to see his money jump the 3A look pretty amazing. Ever since he's started training the 4A, he's sometimes had trouble with the 3A. It was probably affecting his timing and I'm sure all the falls on the 4A attempts weren't helping. 

Edited by Enero
13 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

If this were about a less powerful country they'd be fully banned and this wouldn't even be a thing. But Russia has power and is willing to cheat and bribe which is how we got the absurd ROC thing in the first place. The IOC is probably trying to figure out a way to get out of this without pissing the Russians off too much. 

This. Plus, if she was a person of color they wouldn't hesitate to disqualify her, IMO. But she's a pretty white Russian girl so...If they were doing the right thing here, they'd have already yanked the gold from the ROC team and they'd have disqualified her from the ladies competition. It's disgusting.

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 11

I know I'm being a bit of a dim bulb about this but to me if the athlete tested positive two months ago then they shouldn't have been eligible for the Olympics in the first place.  So definitely some results were shall we say misplaced or hidden or somewhere the persons responsible for the tests were bought out/intimidated/Putinized into not reporting what they should have. 

Johnny seems a bit quieter this evening.  Maybe it's the Project Runway granny swan outfit.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I don't think that was the intention but Semenenko is making me think of Dracula. His outfit, and especially the gloves, are very bat-like and his cinematic choreography brings me straight to Dracula.

3 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

I got a creepy magician vibe but Dracula also works

The music is from an adaptation of Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita.  I've never read the novel, but I know Satan is a character in it.  So, Russian supernatural. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, CherryMalotte said:

I know I'm being a bit of a dim bulb about this but to me if the athlete tested positive two months ago then they shouldn't have been eligible for the Olympics in the first place.  So definitely some results were shall we say misplaced or hidden or somewhere the persons responsible for the tests were bought out/intimidated/Putinized into not reporting what they should have. 

Johnny seems a bit quieter this evening.  Maybe it's the Project Runway granny swan outfit.

The Project Runway getup will be worn in one segment of Pairs. No clue who "dezigned" tonight's mess.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Ok I'm deeply amused at NBC's commercial where Nathan talks about how important Michelle Kwan was to him and skating and then we hear a snippet of Tara's commentary. I feel like the person who put that together did that on purpose.

AND they used footage of Michelle in her iconic light blue dress at the '98 Olympics! They should've superimposed the gold medal that she deserved into the shot. Thank you, Nathan!

• Love 15
1 minute ago, CherryMalotte said:

<choke>  Thanks for this!  My guess is that he's upset about Valieva.  

I hope Nathan is walking around with earbuds in and is paying no attention to social media whatsoever.  I'm nervous and I'm a fan sitting on a couch half a world away.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

He wisely remained silent when the scandal was brought up. 

The benefit of not watching skating much any time of the year is that all of it is fresh.  That long performance wasn't as interesting as the short program but it was still beautiful.

It's interesting.  Some of the old school skaters were flashier and had to do those elements outside of competition.  They would have fit well in the current climate of going big.

And Jason?  He would have thrived in the 80s.

• Love 3