Type keyword(s) to search

S26.E02: Week 2

• Start Topic

If Cassidy were here, she’d slap Shanaenae across her face and yell at her to get it together. Your mentor bestie is going to be so disappointed in you! You are not manipulative bitch material. Pathetic excuse for a villainous vixen!

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

Shanaenae doesn’t even know how to do a Wrong Reasons accusation! It has to be about how the person isn’t here to fall in love with the lead! You can’t say Elizabeth was nice to me on the first day but she didn’t talk to me the next day. (Maybe it’s because she saw you chasing after the evil Cassidy?) But Clayton is so stupid that he takes this as a legitimate complaint and lodges a formal Wrong Reasons investigation.

• LOL 10
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

Shanaenae doesn’t even know how to do a Wrong Reasons accusation! It has to be about how the person isn’t here to fall in love with the lead! You can’t say Elizabeth was nice to me on the first day but she didn’t talk to me the next day. (Maybe it’s because she saw you chasing after the evil Cassidy?) But Clayton is so stupid that he takes this as a legitimate complaint and lodges a formal Wrong Reasons investigation.

He really is not bright.

• Love 14

Shanae is extremely insecure. I thought Elizabeth had a good explanation. Of course, lyin' Shanae is up for the rose. Thank goodness Sarah gets a rose. Clayton isn't a total moron.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 2

This is fantastic!

S: She’s two-faced because she didn’t talk to me.

E: She physically pushed me down.

Point Elizabeth!

S: You didn’t look at me.

E: I have ADHD and can’t process more than one conversation at a time.

Oh, Shanaenae! Crash and burn!

Now some other girl is crying about them fighting. 

I can’t wait for Sensei Cassidy to rip Shanaenae apart for being weak just like in Cobra Kai.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, TiredMe said:

Clayton replies I love that to everything. 

‘here’s a photo album….Clayton - I love that

My dad was sick and I learned about what kind of relationship I want to have…Clayton - I love that

elizabeth is two faced… Clayton - I love that

I have VD … Clayton - I love that…

im pretty sure that happened 

Some girl: I have Covid and I just kissed you.

Clayton: I love that.

• LOL 17
  • Love 3

Gasp! Cassidy isn’t Here for the Right Reasons?! You don’t say!

And, in a truly shocking turn of events, the girl who told him immediately went directly to Cassidy to let her know what she said! Wow. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

I always hate it when some woman gets away with saying bad things about someone else and the bachelor just believes her without asking more. I think Elizabeth is stunning and she didn’t do anything wrong but Clayton will still partially believe Shanea

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 13
43 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

Gasp! Cassidy isn’t Here for the Right Reasons?! You don’t say!

And, in a truly shocking turn of events, the girl who told him immediately went directly to Cassidy to let her know what she said! Wow. 

I wanted to give her a rose just for telling her to her face what she said instead of acting all innocent about it

• Love 13
1 hour ago, TiredMe said:

My dad was sick and I learned about what kind of relationship I want to have…Clayton - I love that

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

Shanae has to just let this go.  Why does it matter if Elizabeth doesn’t like her?

The fact that she claimed that Elizabeth said "I Love you" like 3 separate times and Elizabeth was like "I never once said those words" LOL this is so fucked up!

46 minutes ago, Amy Beth said:

Clayton seems deficient in some critical thinking skills. 
Just because some woman says something nasty about another woman doesn’t mean  he has to believe it.

I want so badly for a Bachelor to just ignore all this shit.  My memory is non existent so have any past Bachelors been like this?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TiredMe said:

Life imitates art:

• LOL 10
1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:
1 hour ago, JenE4 said:

I wanted to give her a rose just for telling her to her face what she said instead of acting all innocent about it

That was truly impressive!

• Love 5

So he's following the Pilot Peter playbook, minus the psychotic mommy (thank god). 

There's still time ..... we didn't know Barb was going to Barb until she showed up later in the season. Honestly, I don't know why they didn't hire Barb to host instead of Jesse Palmer. Can you imagine how she would have inserted herself into the drama?

2 hours ago, JenE4 said:

I love this. Also, Clayton just freezes and mumbles when these girls spill their tea. Jesse needs to pull him aside and give him some lessons on how to be more suave or he'll be eaten alive by the Wrong Reasons Drama.  And, um, on the group date they keep going to Uncle Bob's Ye Olde Antique Emporium. Why? Maybe they were only able to covid-fumigate the one space? 

• Love 4

Silly Shanae, Elizabeth has only one face. Her 45-year-old one. At least with all the drama this episode I can tell three of the bleached blondes apart now. Speaking of bleached blondes, Hilary Duff's dye job looks terrible and really ages her. Considering she's been in the entertainment industry for decades, she should have a much better hairstylist.

Clayton just believes everything anyone tells him. What happens when, inevitably, two women say conflicting things - is his brain going to explode?

Clayton's face-devouring kissing and touchy-feeliness (did you all see his hand wedged between Susie's thighs on the helicopter date?) are really off-putting to me. I'm no prude, but he barely knows any of the women, and he does it so indiscriminately.

• Love 9

You can pretty much see the moments when Clayton zones out when one of the women starts "opening up" and the blank thought bubble appears - that's why he's so generic. "I love that!" "Great effort!" Lol.

He's such a bland bowl of oatmeal. He's harmless enough but he is not On This Journey to make Deep Connections and Find His Person.

Poor Elizabeth. How dare she flirt with Clayton before Shanaenae or whatever. 

And if Shanaenae isn't a paid producer plant trying to liven up this season, I'm just going to assume she's on some sort of government watch list, because damn. She was certifiable. 

I totally related to the woman who left her cat. I would also prefer to be snuggled up with ours rather than be in the viper den chasing after...Clayton.

Susie was born and raised to be a typical Bachelorette, like she's had Hunger Games style training.

I don't remember an Eliza, but she was sweet, drama free and stunning. So she won't be there long.

• Love 12

After watching clayton allow cassidy to straddle him and ignore the kids and reward her for a rose, he is no longer a nice guy to me. Hes a total jerk. To bad. 

Edited by nlkm9
Weror
  • Love 14

Did everyone watch the credits scene from the kids party?   Gabby(?) tried to get him involved including putting him in the clown suit.  He really, really didn’t want to do it, had no conversation or banter with the kids (thus proving those scenes during the Bachelorette were scripted to demonstrate his Bachelor creds), and really didn’t want to entertain them with a silly dance.  No wonder he was happy to go off with Cassidy and make out.  He didn’t want to be at the party any more than she did.  

• Useful 7
  • Love 13
9 hours ago, TheFinalRose said:

There's still time ..... we didn't know Barb was going to Barb until she showed up later in the season. Honestly, I don't know why they didn't hire Barb to host instead of Jesse Palmer. Can you imagine how she would have inserted herself into the drama?

I love this. Also, Clayton just freezes and mumbles when these girls spill their tea. Jesse needs to pull him aside and give him some lessons on how to be more suave or he'll be eaten alive by the Wrong Reasons Drama.  And, um, on the group date they keep going to Uncle Bob's Ye Olde Antique Emporium. Why? Maybe they were only able to covid-fumigate the one space? 

Barb started scaring me when she was cheering about her son's windmill episode. There were warning signs! If she ever comes on this show again, I think that will actually be the thing to get me to stop watching. Horrible woman in a very real way, not a fun-for-TV way to me. We've only seen Clayton's mother for a second, but I don't really remember anything too weird about her which is good. 

• Love 7

I feel as if I’m watching a parody of the show.  Like the SNL skit @Amy Beth posted was real. Maybe I forgot how bad the Bachelor is after two seasons of reasonably sane people but my god….. Cassidy and Shanae have to be in on the game.  The “villain” tropes they are acting out are too on the nose.  It’s cringey.  Also the screeching from all the women when Jesse Palmer/Clayton/the ghost of Chris Harrison enters the room makes me think of a puppy pen in an animal shelter.  So loud and high-pitched.  Other things that annoyed:

1. Does Clayton want a wife or a Handmaid? We get it.  You want kids.  That’s the arc this year but maybe tone that down a bit because a woman is more than her baby making parts.  Which leads to:

2. “This is Hilary Duff.  Famous actress, singer, producer but most importantly a mother”.  WTF show.  I almost threw my remote at the TV 

3. Why oh why is the hoodie under a blazer a thing?  The women are dressed to the nines and he looks like a kid who grudgingly compromised with his parents to wear something nice to his grandparents retirement party. 

Ugh.  Stupid show.  Off to listen to podcasts and seethe because I just can’t quit it.

• LOL 7
  • Love 8
57 minutes ago, LBS said:

I really have nothing to add, except I'm an Amy Beth too! :)

Editing to add:  You might be the other Amy Beth I already know of on this site, maybe not.

On topic: this show is so dumb.  Rinse, wash, repeat. Same thing every season.  But, I'll still watch bc I only have basic cable and am limited with my viewing options.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 3

Maybe Clayton was actually interested in finding out who would be willing to babysit a bunch of kids while he goes off to make out with other women.

I don't know if it's because I do not want or have any interest in children, but this show icks me out a lot. Its whole notion of what a marriage and family should look like seems so antiquated.

Edited by jade.black
  • Love 10

It was once posited that The Bachelor was not only a seasonal replacement for the Monday Night Football franchise on ABC but that it also represented a symbolic passing of the gavel – sorry, the remote – from male to female in the primary viewer demographic.

College and pro football playoffs have both been pushed later into the new year as a result of the expansion of schedules.  Where there was once separation there is now overlap.  In the case of the NFL, the cynical purpose will surprise no one:  by moving the Super Bowl into February they are able to claim an entry in an additional month’s ‘ratings book’ and claim additional advertising bounty.

Thus, Jesse Palmer’s seeming ability to be in two places at once – the Bachelor mansion and the national championship game.  But it’s only the ‘magic’ of video tape, to use a common phrase of the past, as Jesse missed numerous football broadcasts in the fall to fulfill his Bachelor duties.

It's daylight again, to use a Crosby, Stills & Nash album title, and the Bare Midriff Gang are whooping as they walk back (sans luggage) back into the mansion. Notable exception to the bare midriff look:  Ency, wearing another dress requiring double-stick tape in order to display the merchandise to window shoppers and Bachelors. Back into the mansion? Where did they go? Why? After all that first-night log-rolling in a quest to stay in the mansion were they sent back to a hotel?

Your humble scrivener, typically disdainful of pop-culture and social media trends (read: marketing initiatives), is nevertheless participating in Dry January. A similar, mostly successful attempt was made, mostly out of curiosity, a few years back with occasional backsliding. This one, so far, is strict. Until it isn’t. Watch this space.

An optimist might say that Dry January is a new year’s resolution but one that must only last 31 days and is an opportunity to undo some of the excesses of the holidays. A pessimist might say that attempting to get through the coldest, gloomiest month of winter without the occasional social lubricant makes January, well, much colder and gloomier.

The point of all that is that Episode 2 starts with an apparent massive continuity gap and it has nothing to do with being distracted by demon rum. I can’t vouch for the ladies, however, as they express delight and surprise at a house and furniture that we know they have already seen.  Strange, even by the standards of this program.

Squeals and giggles all round then for mundane things like staircases, couches and pillows. Where is Clayton? A mere 2.25 miles away, as the crow flies, at a hotel and he’s doing the first lean on a rail, stare balefully over the water of the season! It’s a bridge, not a balcony but why quibble. Clayton talks incessantly of having children. We mock the big lug but so far his monomania about finding a brood mare is a bit unsettling.

Jesse notes he was once The Bachelor but avoids any of the less-enchanting details.  This is a particularly scream-y lot of Bachelorettes and the enthusiasm threatens to shatter the glassware.

Thus far we’ve seen of Run-of-the-Mill Rachel onscreen more than Clayton. It seems the producers always gravitate toward the women with a limitless capacity for stating the bleeding obvious in order to provide narration.  But a surfeit of camera time early often portends a flood of tears later as the unfortunate, overeager Bachelorette constructs a Cinderella scenario in her imagination during the downtime, making the end all the more bitter.

To no one’s surprise, Teddi, Kira and Ency, among others, are in the first group date.  ‘Wait are those children?’ Yes, but they have nothing on grown women in the unprompted-screaming department.  The low-cut, flimsy tops look a bad match for a bouncy castle, it must be said, not that Clayton will mind.

Hilary Duff is here. ‘You’re the first concert I went to!’ Hilary wavers between a reluctant smile and extending two middle fingers for making her feel old (she’s only 34 for crissakes). A close-up profile shot of Ms Duff reveals either a hearing aid or an earpiece for communication and coordination with the producers. Carrying on an intelligent conversation with the vapid Cassidy may require some prompting.  To be fair, it is not uncommon for performers to experience hearing loss due to the avian din of thousands of preteens screaming in one arena after another.

Gabby struggles with the hinges on the kids’ playhouse, alone, while the hinges are coming off the doors of Casa Cassidy who declines to get into the spirit of the thing. And it’s only the first full day. Stage 5 Cassidy has already absconded with Clayton. She already feels chemistry but maybe that’s the pool chlorine. ‘If things keep kinda going this way…’ Which way is that?  You only just met.  Clayton isn’t so sure. Neither is his body language. One thing is certain:  Cassidy has already been booked for Bachelor In Paradise where connections are declared by swivel-eyed contestants and discarded like empty bottles of Corona.  Poor Wells. Undaunted, Cassidy chooses the failsafe approach of a headlock and dry humping. More remora than romance.

Hilary wants Clayton to experience fatherhood. Hilary doesn’t mention the fact that she’s already divorced and remarried and that ‘fatherhood’ in her world involves blended families and bitter legal battles over custody. Details, details.

Halter tops and water balloons are a bad mix and the ladies flee the castle while Clayton submits to a fusillade from what are quite obviously child actors. But no amount of theatrical training can mask their active dislike for Crazy Cassidy.  Kids are so intuitive, ain’t they?

Hilary Duff is an accomplished (?) actress but is also unable to hide her disdain for Cass. Polite nodding gives way to eyes scanning up and down as Hilary takes the full measure of the neuroses on display.

Cassidy attempts to put both feet in her mouth simultaneously by dropping Genevieve’s decorated cake. Bartender Genevieve has dealt with a long parade of drunks in her job and would no doubt love to reach for a metal cocktail shaker to give Cassidy a resounding whack upside the head.

Clayton’s questionable sartorial choices continue with a white hoodie…under a sport coat. Did he get dressed in the dark? The date rose beckons as we silently beg one of the girls to grab it and burn it in one of the candles, then storm off for good.  Teacher Serene enjoyed seeing kids. She did? Seems like a busman’s holiday. She and Clayton trade hoary cliches about ‘making a difference.’

If looks could kill then Gen, Mara & Ency would be facing homicide charges as they glare at Cassidy who simply will.not.shut.up about her sordid snogging. Physician Kira is here to deliver some bitter but badly needed medicine as she tells Cass off. Apparently covid-related staff shortages may have sidelined the on-call makeup artist because these ladies are shining brightly in the klieg lights and that isn’t a compliment.

Teddi needn’t worry about the drama. ABC/Disney/Clayton have provided her with a FastPass to jump to the front of the queue on demand. While Genevieve gets a consolation cake, back at the mansion obvious fave Susie pretends to be shocked at getting the first single date. Cue gritting of teeth among the rest. And the girly screaming seems to have stopped abruptly.

Vampire Mara’s fangs are growing in the moonlight and we fervently hope she draws blood.  Cassidy seeks blood as well…in the form of becoming a tick permanently attached to Clayton. Defenses of Clayton as a meathead-with-a-keen-mind are in jeopardy as the host awards the rose to his parasite.  It screams producer plant but maybe the screams are just coming from the horrified viewers.

Clayton’s bringing the big guns – make that big rotors – out as he drives Susie in the Benz war wagon to the helipad.  Usually the choppers don’t appear til much later but Susie is the Secretariat of the season, ahead by 31 lengths already in the Belmont, er, Bachelor Stakes. A helicopter, boat, a hot tub, a jump? Is this season being edited out of sequence? This is usually final-date stuff. Clayton only wishes.

Traffic is murder in Southern California so having air transport is a big advantage. Can the pilot drop Clayton somewhere on the return leg to get the poor lad’s haircut finished?  This curly-bangs stuff doesn’t look playful; it just looks half-arsed and messy. As usual, the food at the ‘dinner’ goes unnoticed as our dating partners bat their 500-word vocabularies back and forth.  Family’s important and…and…zzzzzz.

A piano, a cello and Amanda Jordan.  Well, at least we’ve heard of pianos and cellos before. Pageant Pro Susie is playing Clayton like another stringed instrument – a fiddle. After an exhausting day of using a crowbar to pry Cassidy off him, Clayton’s only regret this evening is that he doesn’t have the entire floral shop to give to Susie.

Scene cut back to the mansion, where the inaugural meeting of the Glenn Close Fatal Attraction Society is being held with its charter stalkers Cassidy & Shanae as they plot some rather cold-blooded strategy. The society’s motto: they won’t be ignored!

June 6, 1944 is often called The Longest Day but it had nothing on this first 24 hrs in the mansion, assuming we aren’t just seeing seamless edits. A second group date has been announced. Junior cat lady Jill has been left out and our architectural historian is ready to smash some windows and statuettes, historical or otherwise.

Shanae is doing cheerleader moves, inexplicably, as the others greet Clayton. School teacher Ziwe (me neither), her none-more-preppy cricket sweater and her less-preppy wig are here to identify red flags, as if we haven’t seen enough already from Shanae.  The seating arrangements are far from random. Shanae is positioned so she may get an eyeful of the confident Elizabeth touching up Clayton. People who give themselves nicknames seem odd, even sad and we won’t be using Shanae’s no matter how many times she mindlessly repeats it.

To hell with Georgia or Alabama…we’re cheering Sarah for beating Shanae. Experienced sales maven Elizabeth makes a successful bid for Clayton, then it’s Sarah’s turn. If these women knew that kisses were ten a penny they might not get as jazzed but to quote the great Anthony Michael Hall: ‘Why are you messing with the fantasy? We know about the reality.’

Preliminaries concluded, Shanae has brought the water to a boil and is prepared to drop one or more bunnies into the pot, starting with the confident Elizabeth.  The poison has been dripped into the gormless Clayton’s ear and has little resistance flowing to his reptilian brain as he now views Elizabeth as an adversary.

Petite Sarah is short enough to stay out of the Drama Jet Stream which is  about 5 ft 5 in off the floor (possibly higher to account for platform shoes) and scores a rose in the process.  Elizabeth is starting to regret not ‘hugging’ Shanae’s windpipe good and hard but gets a few passive-aggressive swipes in as the evening concludes. Meow!

Achtung! Berliner Eliza has a gameplan but insists that her gimlet-eyed approach will somehow create meaningful conversation. The plan involves scrapbooking and drawing stick figures. Clayton warms to the task since the stick figures remind him of his senior term paper as a Mizzou athlete.

Gabby admits her bizarre and ever-larger pillows are ‘kinda scary’ but finally scores a kiss.  Good thing, too, as she might have commissioned a Clayton king-size pillow-top mattress next.  It wouldn’t fit on a twin bunkbed anyway.

Ali-Frazier III has commenced.  Tonight, their understudies Shanae and Elizabeth will be playing the roles of Smokin’ Joe and The Greatest as they spar for the third time, attempting to out-ADHD the other.  Elizabeth, bless her, is sprinkling anti-Shanae sentiment throughout the property.  The danger words ‘confront’ and ‘aggressive’ are uttered and that has them all on edge.

Kate speaks for all of us, Society of Friends meeting style, with her droll disapproval of the contretemps. Might be a good time for a couple more of those airline bottles, Katey. I know I could use one. Oh damn, it’s still Dry January.

Oh no…Cassidy has latched on again. We may need the Jaws of Life to extract Clayton from Cassidy’s pincers. Don’t call 911 just yet, as Sierra and her liberal coating of glitter are here to betray confidences. Mind you, ordinarily we’d frown on yet another girl dobbing one of her peers in but we’ll make an exception here.

Speaking of extraction…is Clayton going to extract a rose? Jesse is goggle-eyed at the prospect. Or maybe it’s because he doesn’t know his Bachelor history the way good old Categorical Chris Harrison would have.

The aforementioned NFL’s expanded playoffs have claimed the next Monday night slot and will bump Clayton and his untreated TMJ off the screen for two weeks. It’s less a rose ceremony cliffhanger and more a rose removal one. We hope Cassidy gets her comeuppance but perhaps the producers are well shot of her as we know all too well from the many previews that Shanae – who has dropped the cutesy nickname out of anger – will remain to torment us all.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

You can pretty much see the moments when Clayton zones out when one of the women starts "opening up" and the blank thought bubble appears - that's why he's so generic. "I love that!" "Great effort!" Lol.

He's such a bland bowl of oatmeal. He's harmless enough but he is not On This Journey to make Deep Connections and Find His Person.

Clayton is so dull. And not particularly attractive. He needs Jesse Palmer's barber to fix his hair, it's horrific.

• Love 6