Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

Aulty

S01.E07: Sex and the Widow

Recommended Posts

Is it an unpopular opionion to say that the actors/actresses should not have that much input on their character's story? Thats what writers are for.

Everytime someone mentions that Cynthia Nixon was the one pushing for a queer Miranda storyline I am reminded of that scene in Growing Up Brady where the actors insist they have a say in the creative development and they want musical episodes, Cindy wants Susan to get a horse, Eve wants to quit school and become a fashion designer, the boys want older girlfriends and some street cred. Marie wants Marsha wants to marry a foreign prince ffs.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 9
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I get the fluid sexuality part of Miranda’s storyline, no issues there—but the other massive changes in her personality such as acting rashly, making choices based on what feels good rather than what is rational, being bored with the prescribed life she ended up in—are they meant to be a delayed mid-life crisis?

I’m struggling through one of my own, and they suck, but it’s really not clear if Miranda’s is on purpose or if the writing/storyboarding is just awful. Leaning toward the latter.

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, TheBride said:

I hope they don't bring back Aiden. I couldn't stand it if they destroyed the memory of that wonderful man! He was the best!

They took care of that with the execrable second movie. Apparently Aidan was merely the first in a series of character assassinations.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Harvey said:

Harry's colonoscopy might come back in the season finale, but the point of the scene where Charlotte cancelled his colonoscopy just to have dinner with LWW clearly showed how messed up her priorities are. She values her friendship with LWW more than the health of her husband. That was the point of that scene.

I had a totally different read on the colonoscopy cancellation. Colonoscopy prep, the day before the procedure, is notoriously unpleasant. You wouldn't want that going on while hosting dinner guests. Seeing Charlotte confirm the colonoscopy for the next morning only to cancel it immediately after setting up the dinner that evening was, to me, a small (rare, for this series) touch of humor. I was surprised when folks began speculating about Harry being diagnosed with colon cancer, it just never occurred to me. They'll probably end up being right, but it just didn't read that way to me in the moment. 

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Pestilentia said:

The one single moment that annoyed me most was directly after Che said "I want you in bed, naked..." and Miranda uttered the most breathless and virginal "Really?"  Not even Molly Ringwald in her prime could sound so innocent and shoot so many stars out of her eyes. It was just so junior high school. "You really, really like me?" like kids passing notes.

I was wondering when someone would bring up the “Really?” Because it was so horribly embarrassing I was speechless. She’s in her fifties acting like a like a lovestruck teenager! I can remember doing similarly idiotic things in my teens and early twenties. She’s just laying herself right out there for a player to take advantage for some easy sex. How can this possibly be the same woman who has so many dates and experiences in the first run of the show? 

  • Love 10

Share this post


Link to post

Che and Miranda are in a race to the bottom for the characters I want to see least on my screen but Che was such an ass in this episode that they almost made me feel badly for Miranda. Almost. Pretending to be insulted that Miranda was trying to sneak away without saying hi and then brushing off ignoring Miranda’s DM by claiming you get so many that you couldn’t be expected to see it. “You should have DM’d me again.” Go away, Che.  
 

Also Che’s entrance to the stage at the auction was so goofy, weaving their way through the crowd and then popping up on stage like some sort of actual famous person who just happened to be in the audience. This writing for this show is so amateurish. 

  • Love 21
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Toodleoo said:

I get the fluid sexuality part of Miranda’s storyline, no issues there—but the other massive changes in her personality such as acting rashly, making choices based on what feels good rather than what is rational, being bored with the prescribed life she ended up in—are they meant to be a delayed mid-life crisis?

On a different show I would say yes.  But on this show I really do think the writers (and Cynthia Nixon) think they are showing us Miranda's journey. Journey to what I'm not quite sure.  

1 hour ago, Pestilentia said:

Miranda would know this is just the first flush of excitement that you get in any new relationship- she would not confuse it so easily with love.  She would know the difference.

I am a couple years younger than Miranda and single.  Not even Brad Pitt in his Thelma & Louise days could make me confuse lust with love.  I think the show wants us to think Miranda is falling in love with Che but I'm seeing Miranda so unhappy in her marriage she is looking for anything/anyone to go to and it just so happens that it is Che.  

1 hour ago, Pestilentia said:

And speaking of, who did KD piss off in the wardrobe department? Everything she had on this episode made her look dumpy and thick around the middle near pregnancy levels.

I did look at her and think why does she look so much heavier. Patricia Field is being missed as much as Kim Cattrall.

1 hour ago, Pestilentia said:

How mature actresses can bemoan the lack of substantive roles for women of age, get an opportunity like this to illustrate otherwise, then walk on screen acting like lovestruck teenagers boggles my mind.

Any one of us here could have (and some of us did) come up with better storylines for these characters.  

54 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

How can this possibly be the same woman who has so many dates and experiences in the first run of the show? 

Miranda was always the cynical one.  To have her get googly eyed over someone like Che gives me secondhand embarrassment.  As much as I find it hard to believe Miranda would fall for someone like Che it's even harder for me to believe Che would fall for Miranda.   I don't think Che would fall for anyone to be honest.  They enjoy the attention and maybe they even get a thrill of being with someone who isn't supposed to be with them.  I agree with whoever said Che would be more likely to be interested in Carrie.

  • Love 10

Share this post


Link to post

UGH. Finally watched last night, despite the less than stellar reviews here. And all I can say is HELL YES, y'all. I couldn't possibly quote all the shit reviews that I agree with here.

This is so bad. The stereo vomiting between Carrie and Jon Tenney (well, hello, Mr. Tenney. Aging to perfection, I see) were actually the highlights.  Charlotte treated Harry like complete garbage. Harry and Steve need to go out for a night of binge drinking and compare what utter selfish, uncaring, spoiled, rude bitches that they're married to. Sorry, show. I'm on Team Husbands on this go around, and I know that couldn't possibly be your intention. 

And Miranda confusing her first real orgasm since Dr. Feelgood of the Knicks, as love? Good fucking god. 

 

 

  • Love 15

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

UGH. Finally watched last night, despite the less than stellar reviews here. And all I can say is HELL YES, y'all. I couldn't possibly quote all the shit reviews that I agree with here.

This is so bad. The stereo vomiting between Carrie and Jon Tenney (well, hello, Mr. Tenney. Aging to perfection, I see) were actually the highlights.  Charlotte treated Harry like complete garbage. Harry and Steve need to go out for a night of binge drinking and compare what utter selfish, uncaring, spoiled, rude bitches that they're married to. Sorry, show. I'm on Team Husbands on this go around, and I know that couldn't possibly be your intention. 

And Miranda confusing her first real orgasm since Dr. Feelgood of the Knicks, as love? Good fucking god. 

 

 

That’s what I didn’t get—Miranda, Charlotte, and LTW were all annoyed with their overly bumbling/boring spouses in this episode. Yes, SOs can get annoying from time to time but why have an episode where nearly every male in a relationship is portrayed as a doofus, unless you have a bigger point to make (because if you do, then MAKE it already)?

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Trillian said:

Sigh. I, too, used to like these women. I might have disagreed with them, I might have made different choices,  but they were fun and not too, too divorced from reality, if one could hand wave issues like money.  Once, I would’ve enjoyed being part of their group. I don’t know who these harridans are. I’ll continue to watch the train wreck in a fascinated sort of way, but I can’t say I’m enjoying it. 

Trying to rewatch this episode and realizing I don't want to see more than maybe 15 minutes of it a second time, I couldn't help but wonder, if a show isn't worth rewatching, is it a success? Like, many fans have watched the SATC series multiple times, and movie #1, and sometimes even movie #2 (a dubious pleasure but perhaps a fun hate-watch). HBO may be thinking they have a huge hit on their hands, but I wonder what the stats will be for rewatches. The episodes just don't have much to bring one back.

12 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I loved the white/black dress Carrie wore to the auction- reminded me of something from White House Black Market (are they still around?). 

Yes, there's a brick and mortar store still here in Georgetown in DC.

14 hours ago, TheBride said:

I'm no prude, and I know SATC obviously had a lot of sexual expression in it. But this series is somehow "off" on that issue. The scenes are trying too hard and they somehow come off as cheap and seamy.

Excellent description. The Che-Miranda scenes are like bad soft-porn soap opera.

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

53 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

And Miranda confusing her first real orgasm since Dr. Feelgood of the Knicks, as love? Good fucking god. 

I thought of Robert too.  That man can give an orgasm from across the room.

13 minutes ago, Toodleoo said:

but why have an episode where nearly every male in a relationship is portrayed as a doofus, unless you have a bigger point to make (because if you do, then MAKE it already)?

It does seem like they were trying for some sort of theme to tie the whole episode together but failed.  Again.

  • Love 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

I am a couple years younger than Miranda and single.  Not even Brad Pitt in his Thelma & Louise days could make me confuse lust with love.  I think the show wants us to think Miranda is falling in love with Che but I'm seeing Miranda so unhappy in her marriage she is looking for anything/anyone to go to and it just so happens that it is Che.  

Exactly!

My take on Che is that she is a player, anyone that gets too attached will get hurt, she loves having the power in a relationship and does whatever she wants, she moves on quickly, as Peewee Herman would say, "You don't want to get mixed up with me, I'm a loner, I'm a rebel."

Also, my apologies to anyone I offended for referring to Che as "she" in a previous post, my pea brain does not always remember the They, Them identifiers.

  • Love 12

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Pestilentia said:

We change how we dress as we get older. Comfort starts to be more important than being Vogue worthy and we are less willing to stuff ourselves into three layers of Spanks to look good. And yes you can dress comfortably and in an age appropriate manner and still look classy and put together and stunning.  IMO a stunningly put together older woman is 15 levels of WOW! above an older lady wearing preteen sundresses and bows in their hair. And I know it's television and everyone should look perfect at every moment, but between Charlotte's juvenile wardrobe and Carrie's body hugging dresses I don't even see as much as a nod in trying to illustrate how style changes as you age.

None of them are hard up for money. I'd like to see at least one of them trying on clothing and working with a stylist to help them find classy clothing that doesn't make them look like they are hanging onto youth. There could be many great conversations about "Is this too young for me?" and "I want to look put together and cool but not like a teenager." and how to keep a fresh look without looking ridiculous. I'd like Carrie sitting in a hair salon talking about "Does this make me look old?" or get a gentle suggestion on how to use hair to soften and lift her look and take the focus off some of the aging. She could refuse the advice but I'd like to see them at least question whether their never changing styles need a bit of tweaking. The whole lot of them can't be this clueless about how they look.  At some point a woman faces that she can no longer keep up with Instagram girls and it usually happens around 55 or so. It's hard to accept and I'd expect at least one of them to be facing this realization and mention it.    

These three ladies are all so immature in so many ways. How mature actresses can bemoan the lack of substantive roles for women of age, get an opportunity like this to illustrate otherwise, then walk on screen acting like lovestruck teenagers boggles my mind. And yes, I'm looking at SJP and CN- you had such an opportunity and instead chose to try and relive glory days of the old SATC. Their core viewers grew up, why can't they? Mature women have plenty of issues worthy of exploring (do none of these women have aging parents?). Eh, enough.  Just such a wasted opportunity.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! As a woman in this age group I can tell you that’s exactly how I feel. I look at cute clothes, beautiful high heels - in the store, online and in my own closet - and admire them but I also recognize that I can’t pull them off anymore. In fact, I’ve really downsized my wardrobe and am trying to figure out what kind of style I want (I tried stitch fix for a while but they seemed to decide that I was a “bohemian grandma” so that didn’t work for me). And it’s the same with my hair; I was blonde for 30 years but now I’m trying to figure out what works that’s attractive yet not too Karen or too young, but is appropriately flattering. It’s a first world problem, but it’s a real thing among my demographic and there are a shitload of women going through the same thing, regardless of race, income, sexual orientation/identity. All I get from reading these boards is we have three women who are clinging to their youth, which is pathetic.

It sounds as though the Miranda we knew has been destroyed. In reading the posts, if I had someone in my life that I cared about that showed such a dramatic change in personality, I’d get them to a doctor because, from what I’ve read, there can be medical reasons for drastic personality changes (such as mini strokes, medication and dementia). However, given the show’s track record, it sounds like more shitty writing.

I am so glad I passed on this! Thank you all for doing the hard work of actually watching.

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Also, my apologies to anyone I offended for referring to Che as "she" in a previous post, my pea brain does not always remember the They, Them identifiers.

I do the same. The whole They/Them doesn't offend me personally, just grammatically. My brain responds, "PLURAL. They and Them mean MORE THAN ONE PERSON." Shrug. I'm trying. 

And does anyone else refer to LTW as Becky Barnett in their heads? Just me? Alrighty.

 

  • Love 11

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Maysie said:

As a woman in this age group I can tell you that’s exactly how I feel. I look at cute clothes, beautiful high heels - in the store, online and in my own closet - and admire them but I also recognize that I can’t pull them off anymore.

I still buy heels but they are more likely to be a wedge or a chunky heel.  I have hundreds (literally) of shoes in all shapes, colors and heel height.  My granddaughter knows she inherits them.  Could I still pull off a stiletto pump?  Maybe.  For a couple hours.  I used to think the pain of wearing a high heel was worth it but as I have gotten older I no longer feel that way. When we see Carrie (and therefore SJP) wearing hers on the show she is only wearing them for the scene. It's not like she is walking numerous blocks in those things.

13 minutes ago, Maysie said:

And it’s the same with my hair; I was blonde for 30 years but now I’m trying to figure out what works that’s attractive yet not too Karen or too young, but is appropriately flattering.

I'm keeping the blond and it's long but not quite as long as Carrie's.  But if I may toot my own horn my hair looks a lot healthier than hers.

13 minutes ago, Maysie said:

It sounds as though the Miranda we knew has been destroyed.

I agree. But as I have said in previous posts I'm pretty sure that was not their intention and I doubt they think that is what has happened.   I still think the writers (especially MPK) will  just think the audience isn't getting it.  

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

When we see Carrie (and therefore SJP) wearing hers on the show she is only wearing them for the scene. It's not like she is walking numerous blocks in those things.

Yes- I really liked Carrie's outfits in this episode. I know plenty of women in their 50s and 60s who wear heels to special events, not ALL DAY or multiple days in a row, but out to a dinner or something yes, especially if they are thin. (weight REALLY effects how comfortably one can wear heels, I have been plus sized since childhood, and when I am thinner heels feel so much better, even in my 20s)

Carrie's white dress with the black cuffs- SQUEE I would wear that, it would look good on so many different sizes/shapes (just need some Spanx). I also liked her date dress (but not the color, I dont like pastels)- that neckline looked great on her and the blazer gave it a different look. 

As much as I hate what they have done to Miranda's character, I do think they have dressed her well.

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I had a totally different read on the colonoscopy cancellation. Colonoscopy prep, the day before the procedure, is notoriously unpleasant. You wouldn't want that going on while hosting dinner guests. Seeing Charlotte confirm the colonoscopy for the next morning only to cancel it immediately after setting up the dinner that evening was, to me, a small (rare, for this series) touch of humor. I was surprised when folks began speculating about Harry being diagnosed with colon cancer, it just never occurred to me. They'll probably end up being right, but it just didn't read that way to me in the moment. 

It is God awful. 

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/13/2022 at 5:57 AM, Harvey said:

Harry's colonoscopy might come back in the season finale, but the point of the scene where Charlotte cancelled his colonoscopy just to have dinner with LWW clearly showed how messed up her priorities are. She values her friendship with LWW more than the health of her husband. That was the point of that scene.

This. And also, I think they picked colonoscopy—as opposed to some other kind of appointment—just to hammer in the point that “hey, these people are old now” since you normally start having them at 50.

WTF is wrong with Charlotte? I mean, I completely agree about women being expected to say “sorry” all the time. But a) since when do you not apologize to someone for knocking them down, yes, even on the damn tennis court, and b) more importantly, Harry is her husband who told her she’d hurt his feelings. If she couldn’t apologize for knocking him down, she could at least apologize for that! She is picking the wrong hill to die on. Between this and her “everyone should stay exactly the same forever” mindset, plus pushing Carrie into that godawful cringeworthy auction, I’m really starting to hate her.

Speaking of hate: Miranda. Where do I even start… Trying to re-create her little kitchen fling with Che? Seriously fucked up. I have never liked Steve, but he doesn’t deserve this.

Are the writers setting up that Steve has Alzheimer’s or something? Because he’s coming across like the stereotype of the little old man who’s not all there mentally and kind of obnoxious. Mid-50s is not nearly old enough for that to be anything close to normal.

I couldn’t believe it when I saw in the credits that the math teacher was Jon Tenney. He looked vaguely familiar but I did not recognize him at all!

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

My take on Che is that she is a player, anyone that gets too attached will get hurt, she loves having the power in a relationship and does whatever she wants, she moves on quickly, as Peewee Herman would say, "You don't want to get mixed up with me, I'm a loner, I'm a rebel."

Also, my apologies to anyone I offended for referring to Che as "she" in a previous post, my pea brain does not always remember the They, Them identifiers.

It's hard to remember "they, them" when in this episode's sex scene Che was wearing makeup that made Che look quite feminine: mascara, eyebrow pencil, lipgloss, etc. Of course a non-binary person can wear whatever makeup they want at times and at others wear none, it's just that my brain read the feminine look as two women. 

Love the PeeWee Herman reference! 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I do the same. The whole They/Them doesn't offend me personally, just grammatically. My brain responds, "PLURAL. They and Them mean MORE THAN ONE PERSON." Shrug. I'm trying. 

 

I always have to take a moment and correct myself. They/them has always been plural. My best friend's niece is using they/them..... I don't know if I'm supposed to say refer to them as niece? I want to be respectful. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

It is God awful. 

Most definitely. Basically strap your ass to the toilet and go in armed with the NYT crossword puzzle.

  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Toodleoo said:

Most definitely. Basically strap your ass to the toilet and go in armed with the NYT crossword puzzle.

I was also nauseous and vomiting too! It was not fun!

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

28 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

And does anyone else refer to LTW as Becky Barnett in their heads? Just me? Alrighty.

I don't know who Becky Barnett is is but in my head I think BLT.

OMG! I had forgotten all about that fantastic movie and yes, a little bit.

Edited by Baltimore Betty · Reason: I looked something up
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/13/2022 at 8:20 AM, Yeah No said:

I don't even think the constant references to aging are an attempt at humor, probably a misguided bad attempt at being more "relevant" to 50+ women.  Which it is not. The clumsy attempts at making the women's aging relatable to the older audience are backfiring because the writers aren't old enough to understand what it's like to be a post menopausal woman.  To them anyone over 50 might as well be 80, hence everyone acting like they're two steps away from a nursing home.  I read that they are no older than 40, even younger.   And they are depicting the women as juvenile because, well, maybe they are too?  Or maybe they are semi-intentionally destroying and insulting these characters and making them look juvenile because it feeds into a poor attitude towards older people.   

And Harry should not have to be put down by engaging in ethnically based self-deprecation like that.  

Wish I could like this times a million.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Toodleoo said:

I get the fluid sexuality part of Miranda’s storyline, no issues there—but the other massive changes in her personality such as acting rashly, making choices based on what feels good rather than what is rational, being bored with the prescribed life she ended up in—are they meant to be a delayed mid-life crisis?

This! I mean, when Miranda first slept with Steve, even though it was the best sex of her life (then), she wanted to keep her distance when Steve wanted her number so he can call her again. I just really have a hard time believing this is that same Miranda who is now making goo-goo eyes and her knees weaken at the mere sight of Che. 

 

4 hours ago, Pestilentia said:

None of them are hard up for money.

This has always been one of the main criticisms of the original series. It glamourized the lives of single women living in NYC so much that people thought women in NYC had the best life (except for the dating disasters, but all those clothes, purses, jewelry, dinners, brunches, museums, parties, clubs, wow, what a life). Even Carrie whose source of money pre-marriage and pre-best selling book has always been iffy and questionable lived the most fabulous life among the four of them.

Which personally, I don't mind. I didn't watch SATC and approach it as a reality show. In fact, I liked that it was a fantasy and required a huge suspension of disbelief. So I would think that to your point, yes, money should not be an issue in getting age-appropriate clothing.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

It's hard to remember "they, them" when in this episode's sex scene Che was wearing makeup that made Che look quite feminine: mascara, eyebrow pencil, lipgloss, etc. Of course a non-binary person can wear whatever makeup they want at times and at others wear none, it's just that my brain read the feminine look as two women. 

Love the PeeWee Herman reference! 

It saddens me when I go to Ulta or Sephora and a male salesperson's makeup is so on point and beautiful on a level I could never achieve...if only I could have the perfect brows or the cheekbones or jawline of a G-d(dess), Che does have good bone structure so when she does wear makeup it really accentuates those features, one more reason to hate them.

If Carrie did not want Miranda to have anymore monkey biz with Che why would she ask Che to perform at a function that she knew Miranda would be attending?  Does Carrie know nobody else famous or somewhat famous to lend a hand in fundraising?  Seema probably knows more famous people thru her work who would have been a better choice. 

Charlotte disappointed me with her refusal to apologize and the fact that she is so blind to the reason that she should, she has said that Harry is the man that she is so grateful to have why is she being so petty towards him? It costs nothing to say I am sorry (unless you need to ante up with a big honking piece of jewelry because we all have our price but I digress, lol).

Poor Steve, he is fucked and not in a good way.  The writers only want to write him as a bumbling idiot who can't even get laid at home.

 

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

WTF is wrong with Charlotte? I mean, I completely agree about women being expected to say “sorry” all the time. But a) since when do you not apologize to someone for knocking them down, yes, even on the damn tennis court, and b) more importantly, Harry is her husband who told her she’d hurt his feelings. If she couldn’t apologize for knocking him down, she could at least apologize for that!

I don't even think it's that complicated.   IMO an automatic "Sorry"  would have just leap out of her mouth all by itself.  Heck, I tell the dog beds I'm sorry if I trip on one- it just comes out.

  

 

  • Love 5
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I'm keeping the blond and it's long but not quite as long as Carrie's.  But if I may toot my own horn my hair looks a lot healthier than hers.

I agree. But as I have said in previous posts I'm pretty sure that was not their intention and I doubt they think that is what has happened.   I still think the writers (especially MPK) will  just think the audience isn't getting it.  

I think it's arrogant for a writer to think the audience just isn't getting it, and I also believe that MPK is thinking this way.

LTW's dress at the auction was beautiful, and I liked some of Miranda's outfits, too.

Anybody notice that Carrie casually mentioned that she'd lightened her hair? It looks much better. Then she went on the date with it in the severely pulled-back bun -- sigh. I get it, they're telegraphing to us that she feels ambivalent about the date and isn't trying to look sexy. At least her clothes are better now. The blue dress and white blazer on the date looked very good. Yes, yes, she was grief-stricken in earlier months, but I noticed before Big's death she had on some questionable looks. No more kooky old lady clothes, Carrie. Toss the tulle! [I hear Anthony shouting that.]
 

29 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I always have to take a moment and correct myself. They/them has always been plural. My best friend's niece is using they/them..... I don't know if I'm supposed to say refer to them as niece? I want to be respectful. 

Ask your best friend what term the niece prefers.

This is not easy and adjusting takes time. If you make a mistake, apologize and correct.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 10

Share this post


Link to post

On 1/13/2022 at 9:01 AM, greekmom said:

Charlotte is another and the way she treats Harry.  She should have apologized to Harry for knocking him over. I don't think she wanted the husbands there in the first place but still....

I got that impression too, so I was expecting the tennis game to go differently. I thought it would be a case of the husbands basically taking over and getting in the wives’ way. That also would have made more sense as a way for the writers to set up a fight between Charlotte and Harry than her ridiculous refusal to apologize for knocking him down. As written it just came across as a plot contrivance to set up Charlotte’s speech about women always being expected to apologize.

  • Love 11

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

It saddens me when I go to Ulta or Sephora and a male salesperson's makeup is so on point and beautiful on a level I could never achieve...if only I could have the perfect brows or the cheekbones or jawline of a G-d(dess), Che does have good bone structure so when she does wear makeup it really accentuates those features, one more reason to hate them.

In the glam-rock '70s and gender-bending '80s I loved seeing men in makeup. And so often they looked much better than I did. Sigh.

Che looked beautiful in the sex scenes. I just can't get past Miranda's overall behavior.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

It's weird how the sex on this show makes me SO UNCOMFORTABLE whereas I don't recall feeling that way with the original SATC.

1)  Making Big masturbate in the pilot.  WTF?  Forget who Chris Noth is, think of who Big is.  Why did they have to do him like that?

2)  Miranda Che.  I'm only halfway through the episode, but Miranda asking Carrie if they talk about her at the podcast?  Omg, she's like 55!  

3)  Miranda Steve.   Steve doesn't even wash his hands before handling food after?  UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

4)  Miranda's teenager's sex life.  Many adults do not want to see that!  I don't watch "Euphoria" for a reason!

Meanwhile the sex on SATC never made me feel like this.  Something about the tone, the way it was handled........  I don't know.  It's so weird.

I think that the way sex is handled on this show is just so....... unbelievable, and sometimes very depressing, and emotionally too intimate or something.

I think that if they had cut Miranda out of the show, I might even not hate it.  I might even be okay with it.  Now if I imagine cutting Miranda and keeping Samantha, that's the kind of stuff dreams are made out of.

Okay, scratch everything I said.  I just got to the vomiting part.  To me that's one of the cheapest writing gimmicks you can do in TV/movies altogether.  They could make this show have a classy tone but they just constantly choose to go into the gutter.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 17

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, slowpoked said:

This. It's not like Miranda had a good faith effort to rekindle things with Steve, because you know what a good faith effort looks like? Asking him out on a date, maybe going to a hotel instead of their house for the night, or planning a vacation for the two of them, or doing something nice for him, like buying him a new shirt or visiting him at work, etc.

All Miranda wanted to do was "check the box" so she could tell Carrie, "Hey, I tried having sex with Steve, but there was nothing there. Poof. Gone," and that "effort" alone, would make  her guilt-free in pursuing a full-blown affair with Che. 

I know people change, but my God, this is freaking Miranda, the queen of the list of pros and cons, meaning she's very deliberate in deciding life-changing events. I mean, it's possible she's having this wild moment of pure abandon, but the writing just couldn't sell it. And did I miss something - did they ever have a conversation of her potentially changing sexuality and preferences? Her attraction to someone who's not a man? Or was it just all about the sex, regardless of who it was with, and it just so happened to be Che?

The sheer lack of discussion around all of Miranda's shenanigans is driving me crazy - both with own husband and her friends. Yeah, there was that one scene at the picnic table, but that was it. The word "Steve" wasn't even uttered in that scene!  And it was made to seem like Charlotte was being judgmental, but hello, if one of my best friends had sex with someone other than their spouse and was thinking of doing it again, I might want to bring up all they stand to lose, and/or the fact that their spouse has feelings too. Instead they made the fight about Charlotte not thinking Miranda was progressive enough for Che. That's really the least of the issues here, in my opinion.

Subsequently, we have scenes with Miranda and Carrie, and Carrie barely encourages her to not give up on Steve. I think we're supposed to think Carrie is being a good friend by not bringing up about the most problematic aspect of all of this - the cheating?

I'm holding out hope this is all going to come back and bite Miranda in the ass. Poor Steve.

  • Love 14

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/13/2022 at 9:47 AM, clubsauce said:

This is supposed to be fun! I have a phobia and literally had the beginnings of a panic attack when all the graphic sickness happened. I don’t want to see that! Again and again no less! 

Thank you!  A lot of us viewers consider that type of scene to be a punishment.   Not charming or adorable!  The whole series has been a punishment.

On 1/13/2022 at 10:46 AM, mikem said:

The show has been intent on assassinating SATC Miranda's character, and now it seems to want to tear down the old Charlotte as well.  Would SATC Charlotte scream and curse at her husband in public, "What is your g--d--- problem?  You're driving me f------ crazy!"  That seemed completely out of character.

It gave me complete whiplash.  It felt like a joke or a prank?  Like she was pranking Harry?  That's how it feels to viewers who actually know these characters.  100% out of character.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 11

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, TheBride said:

Yes, of all the ruinations of the SATC characters, I must say Miranda is the winner. Where younger Miranda was smart, savvy, vulnerable, quick-witted and loyal, this old version has none of that. She's nasty to everyone--and it's downright offensive how horrible she is to her son, Brady. Though this completely miserable woman seems to have no joy, you would think the writers would insert a little mom-son love. But no. Miranda is a total beeeeatch. I'd like to see her--or ANY of them--actually smile with their eyes the way they did in SATC. 

I guess they always needed Samantha.

I appreciate that you bring this up.  Two of my favourite shows are "New Adventures of Old Christine" and "Cougar Town".  They both star really neurotic female characters who absolutely adore their sons.  The relationships are co-dependent but there's an element of real sweetness and good mothering to them.  It's something I find touching and realistic.

I think that a lot of this show is just nasty, with a real disdain for humanity, especially men.  

  • Love 13

Share this post


Link to post

38 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Meanwhile the sex on SATC never made me feel like this.  Something about the tone, the way it was handled........  I don't know.  It's so weird.

The sex on SATC was always presented the way the sex was for each of the women. There was never an agenda. They weren't trying to tell us something.  It was just the women having sex. Sometimes it was good. Sometimes it wasn't.  

But the sex on this show I guess we are supposed to see as part of a bigger story.  And it is more graphic.  Not with showing nudity but with showing the act.  I am not a prude but I did not need to see anyone's hand up Miranda's hoo ha.

43 minutes ago, candle96 said:

The sheer lack of discussion around all of Miranda's shenanigans is driving me crazy - both with own husband and her friends.

That has to be deliberate.  They don't want us to think she is doing anything wrong. 

44 minutes ago, candle96 said:

I'm holding out hope this is all going to come back and bite Miranda in the ass. Poor Steve.

Something I thought I would never say but here we are. Team Steve all the way.

 

  • Love 12

Share this post


Link to post

I heard of this on Twitter:

Quote

Nibling is a gender-neutral term used to refer to a child of one's sibling as a replacement for "niece" or "nephew". The word is thought to have been coined in the early 1950s, but was relatively obscure for several decades before being revived in recent years.

 

4 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I did look at her and think why does she look so much heavier. Patricia Field is being missed as much as Kim Cattrall.

I feel the exact same!

  • Love 1
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, ByaNose said:

But they dogged a bullet by doing so. Of course, all the episodes would have been in the can and they would have had little choice to air them but still hear all the backlash.

They didn't know about Noth's problem when they wrote him out. (I don't care about his errant behavior--that's his burden. I don't like the publicity around all these accusatory issues. Leave it to the courts.)

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Trillian said:

Sigh. I, too, used to like these women. I might have disagreed with them, I might have made different choices,  but they were fun and not too, too divorced from reality, if one could hand wave issues like money.  Once, I would’ve enjoyed being part of their group. I don’t know who these harridans are. I’ll continue to watch the train wreck in a fascinated sort of way, but I can’t say I’m enjoying it. 

Yes, they are dull-witted, sad people who never laugh. Kim Cattrall made a great choice by avoiding this. She probably sensed how bad it would be.

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, TheBride said:

They didn't know about Noth's problem when they wrote him out. (I don't care about his errant behavior--that's his burden. I don't like the publicity around all these accusatory issues. Leave it to the courts.)

It has been the storyline for awhile. The SATC 3 movie would have also started with Big's death, and the rest of the movie would have been everyone trying to comfort a grieving Carrie. That's why Kim put her foot down and said no, the script is shit, she's not doing it.

And Noth still signed on the AJLT despite knowing he will be offed in the first episode. So I don't think the current sexual allegations against him had anything to do with the storyline of AJLT. It was always going to be that way, because the world has to revolve around Carrie somehow. And how would it revolve around her if she's a happy wife?

But of course, I can't help but think the 3 ladies were whiplashed by these accusations. SJP mostly, because it seemed they were good friends off the show.  

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I do the same. The whole They/Them doesn't offend me personally, just grammatically. My brain responds, "PLURAL. They and Them mean MORE THAN ONE PERSON." Shrug. I'm trying. 

And does anyone else refer to LTW as Becky Barnett in their heads? Just me? Alrighty.

 

Don’t know who that is, but she reminds me of my beautiful aunt, passed away several years now.

 

does anyone recall Candace Bergen dressing Carrie down for dating Baryshnikov, portrayed as 20-30 years her senior?  Because Carrie, for my money, has always punched above her class with men (real life, too! Matthew Broderick, ferchrissakes), but would she have her pick of great looking comfortably wealthy NY men at her age?  Just imo.

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post

If Miranda is having a midlife crisis, it’s not a delayed midlife crisis. Mid-50s is still midlife, not old age (no matter what the writers are doing to Steve!).

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

And does anyone else refer to LTW as Becky Barnett in their heads?

Classic!  But yes, I do lol.

2 hours ago, Maysie said:

I was blonde for 30 years but now I’m trying to figure out what works that’s attractive yet not too Karen.

As someone with that name and who is sooooo goddamned sick of it being used in such a derogatory way, what type of hairstyle would it be?  Sorry.  Just got my Irish up for a second and I'm not even Irish.

UO, but I thought Harry was being too much with the apology until he mentioned that it hurt his feelings.....at that point Charlotte should have immediately apologized.  And her cussing him out on the street was totally unnecessary and I hoping that Harry would have reamed her out (well, the Pick alittle-talk-alittle Harry would have, but I digress.)

Carrie looked beautiful at the auction with that gorgeous dress and her hair pulled into a bun.

I thought I was the only one that noticed the thickness on KD, reminds me of Anthony asking Samantha about her 'gut' in the first movie.

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

If Miranda is having a midlife crisis, it’s not a delayed midlife crisis. Mid-50s is still midlife, not old age (no matter what the writers are doing to Steve!).

Ha, I feel like at a few months shy of 50 there’s no way I’ll make it to 100, so I was going a bit literal with the math on that one.  

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Classic!  But yes, I do lol.

As someone with that name and who is sooooo goddamned sick of it being used in such a derogatory way, what type of hairstyle would it be?  Sorry.  Just got my Irish up for a second and I'm not even Irish.

UO, but I thought Harry was being too much with the apology until he mentioned that it hurt his feelings.....at that point Charlotte should have immediately apologized.  And her cussing him out on the street was totally unnecessary and I hoping that Harry would have reamed her out (well, the Pick alittle-talk-alittle Harry would have, but I digress.)

Carrie looked beautiful at the auction with that gorgeous dress and her hair pulled into a bun.

I thought I was the only one that noticed the thickness on KD, reminds me of Anthony asking Samantha about her 'gut' in the first movie.

They have turned the men into whipping dogs. Harry never would have taken that in the original series …. 

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Classic!  But yes, I do lol.

As someone with that name and who is sooooo goddamned sick of it being used in such a derogatory way, what type of hairstyle would it be? 

 

Well here we have the OG Karen, the slightly more polished Karen, and the MEGA KAREN:

 

 

64E9CF04-1CAF-4082-A751-044FB660D30B.jpeg

45C60C0D-D37B-4A78-BECB-48BADC59BA1A.jpeg

D23375ED-27FE-4B5A-BC5A-263EB3E25DE1.jpeg

  • Love 2
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

If KD is fat, kill me now. 

I think SJP is more attractive then Matthew Broderick. 

I hope Steve says "oh thank God. I'm so tired of you, you thankless shrew. Also, I have a 36 year old girlfriend. I was just staying til Brady went to college."

  • Love 8
  • Laugh 13

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, SFoster21 said:

does anyone recall Candace Bergen dressing Carrie down for dating Baryshnikov, portrayed as 20-30 years her senior?  Because Carrie, for my money, has always punched above her class with men (real life, too! Matthew Broderick, ferchrissakes), but would she have her pick of great looking comfortably wealthy NY men at her age?  Just imo.

If we are just going by looks I do think Carrie had men that I would have considered out of her league.  

7 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

I think SJP is more attractive then Matthew Broderick. 

I always thought they seemed like an odd couple.  SJP was with Robert Downey Jr and if you believe the rumors JFK Jr. briefly.  But her and MB have been together for well over 20 years and have three kids so good for them.  

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

If KD is fat, kill me now. 

I think SJP is more attractive then Matthew Broderick. 

I hope Steve says "oh thank God. I'm so tired of you, you thankless shrew. Also, I have a 36 year old girlfriend. I was just staying til Brady went to college."

Yes to all of these. And I don’t even like Steve.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size