Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Sex and the Widow

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Wow, what an asshole.  

Right? That was only 8-1/2 years ago. Dude does not like it being suggested that he's an offensive hack.

Later in the session, when the reporter persisted in trying to find out whether or not King had made changes to the show at the behest of CBS, King asked the reporter his name (it was Tim Molloy of TheWrap.com). “So you’re Irish,” King said. “I’m Irish. We’ve identified your sexual problem.”

SJP's good buddy!

Edited by TakomaSnark
  • Love 3

I actually wanted to like show, "2 Broke Girls".  Kat Dennings is a lot more of an intelligent actor than that show gave her credit.  But it was full of offensive jokes.  It was such hackneyed, cheap gags for THAT time when it came out.  By the time it came out, it was already outdated.  It's just.  not. funny.  He seems like a dick who places blame on the audience instead of accepting some, and it seems like his new proteges are following suit.

Good thing for Kat she has "Dollface" now.  That's a much better show. I enjoyed Season 1.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, ivygirl said:

Many of us had affection for the key players—I mean, I know Berger was kind of petulant, but I still found he had some appeal and humor; and someone here said they liked Richard (whom I never found appealing—but it shows there was something attractive about his character, to some women). 

Richard had a swagger that I loved--and as badly as he acted, he knew Samantha was worth ten of him. I love a man with self-confidence. There's something very attractive about knowing you're not going to have to spend the evening talking him through in insecurities. (Why is why I despised Berger.) I loved Steve for the same reason--he wasn't intimidated by Miranda, or threatened because she made more than he did. I loved it when he said to Miranda "I knew you'd come around." I'm not AT ALL happy with how they're depicting Steve in this.

• Love 21
22 hours ago, gorgy said:

then got switched out for Anthony as the fourth because we gotta get him in for some reason.

The one thing I am not gonna give them a hard time about.  No one expected Stanford to die/run off to Japan when they started putting the story together.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, T Summer said:

I listened to a couple of those AJLT writer's room podcasts ep 5 and 6 particularly where MPK lead the discussions with  a few of the female writers and producers.  First off, it's so obvious this guy thinks every word he utters is pure genius.

He states Samantha Irby "crafted" and wrote  the Tragically Hip episode. Besides Carrie's hip surgery  and Miranda's sexual awakening it's the one where Rose discloses identifying as gender non binary and wishing to be called Rock.

MPK  mentioned "Kelly in the writing room had this weird congenital hip defect"

Samantha Irby states she has a wife who's youngest announced she was a lesbian on a Tik Tok and that's how  the family found out.

Julie Rottenberg, one of the producers  states "I wanted to show the real struggle and journey that parents can go through  as the parent of a kid who decided they were   gender non binary at a certain age". 

MPK added they always  check  in with the G.L.A.A.D. the LGBT+ media advisory board on these issues.

In the ep 6 podcast Rachna Fruchbom  who herself is Indian, spoke of wanting  to depict an Indian family living in Queens and  to highlight the  Diwali celebration.

So they did have a bunch of their own  stories they wanted to tell.  That, and they were going to address every lack of diversity criticism ever lobbed at the old series, right out of the gate. Kind of sounds like they didn't have time to do much real writing.

So the writers took well-established, known and loved characters and wrote stories based on things that happened to them or they'd heard about from someone else, with some thinly written connecting material. Ok, that can work, as it probably often did in the SATC writers' room. However, when you treat these same characters as if they are history-less and soul-less paper dolls you can hang any behavior onto, no matter how inconsistent with their previous behavior, and plop them into very contrived situations, well then, you create a dud of a failure like this show.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 16
41 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Richard had a swagger that I loved--and as badly as he acted, he knew Samantha was worth ten of him. I love a man with self-confidence. There's something very attractive about knowing you're not going to have to spend the evening talking him through in insecurities. (Why is why I despised Berger.) I loved Steve for the same reason--he wasn't intimidated by Miranda, or threatened because she made more than he did. I loved it when he said to Miranda "I knew you'd come around." I'm not AT ALL happy with how they're depicting Steve in this.

I loved Steve as well—and I can’t stand this depiction either. He had a sweetness and his own confidence.

And thanks for sharing why you enjoyed Richard!

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

I loved Steve as well—and I can’t stand this depiction either. He had a sweetness and his own confidence.

And thanks for sharing why you enjoyed Richard!

I see the appeal of both men. Steve is more of a sweet adorkable fellow. Richard is more of the sexy, confident guy. Steve says something kind, and it's from the bottom of his heart. Richard says hi gorgeous, but even if he means it, it's from a lower part of his body.  

I prefer a Steve. 

• Love 13

Steve literally dumped Miranda right before her company's party because she made more than him, so. Yes, it's good he got over that, but he did have stupid male ego issues at first. I would argue it was only when he opened his own bar that he stopped getting hung up on his class/finance issues regarding Miranda. Again, growth is great. Growth is very cool. But Steve really had to grow up a lot throughout SATC.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, T Summer said:

Richard was  appealing, but he was a prick.

You forgot perfect in every way Jerry Jarod a.k.a. Smith! He was a Saint!

Oh yeah! Smith! He was a sweet character. 

7 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I see the appeal of both men. Steve is more of a sweet adorkable fellow. Richard is more of the sexy, confident guy. Steve says something kind, and it's from the bottom of his heart. Richard says hi gorgeous, but even if he means it, it's from a lower part of his body.  

I prefer a Steve. 

Nice comparison. I prefer a Steve too 😊

That was the nice thing about the original show… the stories were good and if you didn’t connect or relate to one, you’d be sure to find another that you did. 

• Love 3

A few pages back some posters were speculating about the possible return of Aiden, so I went and checked his IMBD. Didn't see any AJLT credits, but I did see something surprising. Does everyone other than  me already know who he (actor John Corbett) is married to?

scroll down

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

Bo Derek!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, T Summer said:

A few pages back some posters were speculating about the possible return of Aiden, so I went and checked his IMBD. Didn't see any AJLT credits, but I did see something surprising. Does everyone other than  me already know who he (actor John Corbett) is married to?

I believe the IMDB stuff is officially embargoed until an episode goes live. They may publish speculative cast information (or information for recurring cast) but I would consider it with an asterisk until the episode goes live.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Rai said:

Steve literally dumped Miranda right before her company's party because she made more than him, so. Yes, it's good he got over that, but he did have stupid male ego issues at first. I would argue it was only when he opened his own bar that he stopped getting hung up on his class/finance issues regarding Miranda. Again, growth is great. Growth is very cool. But Steve really had to grow up a lot throughout SATC.

Ah, didn't know that. (I haven't seen every episode.)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, TakomaSnark said:

I believe the IMDB stuff is officially embargoed until an episode goes live. They may publish speculative cast information (or information for recurring cast) but I would consider it with an asterisk until the episode goes live.

Thanks, I was wondering if that ever happens? So I guess it's still a possibility.

I personally thought it was dopey to have twice burned Aiden seemingly mooning over Carrie "boy are you not like not like any other woman" in awful SATC movie #2, so I hope they don't go there.

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Ah, didn't know that. (I haven't seen every episode.)

You need to.  It's so much better than this crap. 😄 Only some parts of Season 3 and most of Season 5 are bad.  Other than that I love it. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

If they wanted to tell all those stories then they should have created a new show and wrote those stories. 

Maybe I'm taking this too personally but I loved SATC  and even though I knew this reboot was going to disappoint I was looking forward to spending more time with these characters. But it is now painfully obvious I care more about these characters than these writers do.  

Bingo!  And no, I don't think you're taking this too personally.  It's amazingly tone deaf of MPK not to realize that many of the fans had a great love and affection for these characters and changing them too much and not necessarily in ways we would appreciate or feel are right for the characters would not only disappoint but actually hurt us.  How could he be that self absorbed not to know his audience that well after so many years?  But I guess he was so intent on proving to all his critics that he could make his show more progressive that he completely overlooked all of that.  And maybe he thought it might appeal to younger viewers and didn't care about how the older audience felt about it. 

They could have gradually made the characters and situations more progressive in ways that wouldn't offend the older audience but these writers chose to gut punch us with everything all at once to the extreme.  I feel like they're deliberately trying to shock the older audience as if making us uncomfortable will attract younger viewers and the progressive critics they want to impress.  The rest of us are obviously expendable to them.   Bad enough that so many of the fans are over 50 and starting to feel "invisible" anyway, but to feel like this show is ignoring what we want makes it even worse!

I feel like he allowed or even directed the writers to completely hijack the show for the purposes of focusing on their pet social issues as they have lived through them in their personal experiences.  That would be fine if they didn't completely redirect and/or destroy almost every single main character on a show with that much history and a diehard fanbase in the process.  It's too much too fast and sacrifices too much of what was good about the old series.   And as you say, if they wanted to do all that they should have written an entirely new series.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Also, Steve needs to leave Miranda. And explain his reasons on a post-it note.

I approve. And that pisses me off that I do since I loved this couple. But this reboot burned that all down...

• Love 6

Now I wonder if I listened to AJLT the writer's room podcasts (they're up on You Tube), editions 1-4 and 7 if I'd hear where the rest of the show ideas came from? I don't think I could take more of MPK though. That was a lot  of source material cited in 2 partial podcasts that I listened to.

So I  did  listen to  the ep 7 one and MPK  seems to be stating 3 months is what went by, the time Carrie took to write her book. He also mentioned not making a big deal of Seema being the 4th at the table as they'd already done that with Anthony and it had  been 3 months.

MPK -"We came up with this idea where we  would go from fall through winter in one very slick   very technicolor montage where Carrie is writing through 3 months."

Before they launch into  10-15 minutes of DISGUSTING vomit talk., they talk about getting Carrie  to go out on a date using pressure from the publisher as the impetus. They touch on   the subject of whether to show Carrie getting her photo taken making a profile?  before ultimately deciding Seema will do it and "stage her", to make so  so easy  for Carrie.

MPK- "The interesting thing about that scene, in the editing room there were lots more jokes in it. When I was in the editing room I was like that feels like the old show, that feels like the old show. That feels like the old show. They're past that. There were jokes about we didn't date on apps, we used to get man's names off the cave walls."

IDK what show they're talking about, because these women did not deal with online dating and making profiles  and they were in long term relationships when that  became  the way  lots of people  meet. Considering some of the other BS they've taken time up with, it doesn't seem like touching on these women being unfamiliar with dating this way would be a waste of time. Some might even consider it a glaring omission!

Then writer Elisa Zuritsky states  professor Nya and her husband  talking  about trying to get pregnant  and then realizing they're not is another  scene based on an experience of hers. She sent her husband  a text  meant for his eyes only saying she's wasn't pregnant and please don't tell the kids. Then she accidentally pressed a button that  prompted it to be read aloud by the robotic voice of the Apple play device, so the kids  in the car did hear it.

🙄

Oh, and guess what? Elisa Zuritsky plays tennis and becomes aggressive and competitive when she plays,    diverging  from her normal people pleasing  ways. She has had fights with her husband over tennis but recalls one particularly bad one where they fought  in the street from the tennis court  all the way home.

🙄

That's it! I can't put up with   this  egomaniac  long enough to listen to 1-4. I think we now know where they get their story ideas, and the material they come up with to string them together has been laden with way too much focus on  bodily functions... which has long been a refuge of untalented writers.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, T Summer said:

Now I wonder if I listened to AJLT the writer's room podcasts (they're up on You Tube), editions 1-4 and 7 if I'd hear where the rest of the show ideas came from? I don't think I could take more of MPK though. That was a lot  of source material cited in 2 partial podcasts that I listened to.

So I  did  listen to  the ep 7 one and MPK  seems to be stating 3 months is what went by, the time Carrie took to write her book. He also mentioned not making a big deal of Seema being the 4th at the table as they'd already done that with Anthony and it had  been 3 months.

MPK -"We came up with this idea where we  would go from fall through winter in one very slick   very technicolor montage where Carrie is writing through 3 months."

Before they launch into  10-15 minutes of DISGUSTING vomit talk., they talk about getting Carrie  to go out on a date using pressure from the publisher as the impetus. They touch on   the subject of whether to show Carrie getting her photo taken making a profile?  before ultimately deciding Seema will do it and "stage her", to make so  so easy  for Carrie.

MPK- "The interesting thing about that scene, in the editing room there were lots more jokes in it. When I was in the editing room I was like that feels like the old show, that feels like the old show. That feels like the old show. They're past that. There were jokes about we didn't date on apps, we used to get man's names off the cave walls."

IDK what show they're talking about, because these women did not deal with online dating and making profiles  and they were in long term relationships when that  became  the way  lots of people  meet. Considering some of the other BS they've taken time up with, it doesn't seem like touching on these women being unfamiliar with dating this way would be a waste of time. Some might even consider it a glaring omission!

Then writer Elisa Zuritsky states  professor Nya and her husband  talking  about trying to get pregnant  and then realizing they're not is another  scene based on an experience of hers. She sent her husband  a text  meant for his eyes only saying she's wasn't pregnant and please don't tell the kids. Then she accidentally pressed a button that  prompted it to be read aloud by the robotic voice of the Apple play device, so the kids  in the car did hear it.

🙄

Oh, and guess what? Elisa Zuritsky plays tennis and becomes aggressive and competitive when she plays,    diverging  from her normal people pleasing  ways. She has had fights with her husband over tennis but recalls one particularly bad one where they fought  in the street from the tennis court  all the way home.

🙄

That's it! I can't put up with   this  egomaniac  long enough to listen to 1-4. I think we now know where they get their story ideas, and the material they come up with to string them together has been laden with way too much focus on  bodily functions... which has long been a refuge of untalented writers.

It's one thing to use your life as a springboard for a story but to just litter personal and disjointed experiences all over firmly established characters in a way that isn't true to who they were or are... That's how you end up with the dumpster fire of AJLT.

Thanks for taking the bullet on listening to the discussion.

• Like 1
  • Love 14
12 hours ago, RedHawk said:

However, when you treat these same characters as if they are history-less and soul-less paper dolls you can hang any behavior onto,

Bingo, what a succinct description of the disease infecting this show.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, T Summer said:

It sure looked like more than 3 months to me, unless NYC has a far more compressed autumn, Winter, Spring than I imagined.  It gave off the vibe that Carrie was a prisoner, as well, trapped in the same window.

Now, for a truly “very slick very technicolour montage” showing the passage of seasons, see Notting Hill.  MPK may think they just came up with it, but I suspect they stole it - perhaps unconsciously - from that movie where it was done exceptionally well.

6 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

It's one thing to use your life as a springboard for a story but to just litter personal and disjointed experiences all over firmly established characters in a way that isn't true to who they were or are... That's how you end up with the dumpster fire of AJLT.

I echo the sentiment on your bravery and sacrifice.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

19 minutes ago, Trillian said:

You're welcome! I'm out now, though. Can't do 1-4.

I think I could read  transcripts but MPK speaking just exudes pretentiousness.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, T Summer said:

🙄

🙄

So disappointing.  I'm all for women having opportunities to tell their stories, but that doesn't automatically translate into good writing.  Especially if said writers are hired for a series that already has highly developed, aged characters.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Trillian said:

It sure looked like more than 3 months to me, unless NYC has a far more compressed autumn, Winter, Spring than I imagined.  It gave off the vibe that Carrie was a prisoner, as well, trapped in the same window.

Now, for a truly “very slick very technicolour montage” showing the passage of seasons, see Notting Hill.  MPK may think they just came up with it, but I suspect they stole it - perhaps unconsciously - from that movie where it was done exceptionally well.

I immediately thought of "Notting Hill". Nope, they did not invent that montage and in "Notting Hill" it was easy to understand how much time had passed and it was wonderful how it showed the lives of characters at the market changing through time.

I thought I was clever when I surmised that we were to think that Carrie began her writing at the desk shortly after she first "walked herself home" to her old place, and that she has been writing ever since. The montage encompassed the three-month time jump during which she recovered from her hip surgery and the short time that she moved to the all-white apartment and then back to her old place. Thus, most of the months (maybe 7?) since Big died. But no, MPK says it has been three months, so I'm like, "They couldn't even get the montage right?"

It certainly takes more than three months to go from green leaves through winter to "spring" in NYC. Although, this show is apparently set in the future, after the pandemic ends (during which no one aged - ha!), so let's say they're depicting the effect of climate change.

• Love 5

They arent even trying to get things right.  If they can't get the timeline right (for fuck sake they are writing the episodes so at the very least they should get that right) what hope is there they will get anything else right? It's insulting to viewers and I wish I could say it's insulting to the cast but we know both SJP and CN had input so they must have been on board with all of it 

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

They arent even trying to get things right.  If they can't get the timeline right (for fuck sake they are writing the episodes so at the very least they should get that right) what hope is there they will get anything else right? It's insulting to viewers and I wish I could say it's insulting to the cast but we know both SJP and CN had input so they must have been on board with all of it 

I realize that in the original series the writers and the viewers didn't pay close attention to a timeline, however, with Big's death a consistent timeline becomes more important for this series. It's up to the writers to make it make sense and they won't even give us that.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Lots of things wrong with this episode (and let’s face it, the series in general) but for me the biggest problem was the suggestion that the only light at the end of Carrie’s dark, depressing tunnel is… dating. Yes, I know that it was the editor’s idea, but Carrie went along with it!

I get the part about providing a hopeful ending. But why is hope wrapped up in the prospect of another relationship? Why can’t Carrie write something about learning to stand on her own, and realizing happiness doesn’t depend on having a man to lean on? Can’t she mourn Big and embrace a future without him? Why can’t that be hopeful?

Also, Steve needs to leave Miranda. And explain his reasons on a post-it note.

I for one, would love to see him leave her via a post it note.  And for a women who is supposedly as smart as Miranda, how can she not  not realize Che is just there for the readily available sex?  What’s happened to to kind Charlotte?  As for Carrie, hiding like a toddler because math teacher shows up.  Yet this kind man saves her from humiliation.   Write about that for your epilogue of a book about a husband I’m not sure you really liked.

• Love 10
On 1/15/2022 at 1:36 PM, T Summer said:

Richard was  appealing, but he was a prick.

You forgot perfect in every way Jerry Jarod a.k.a. Smith! He was a Saint!

He was saintly, and hot, and smart, and called Samantha on her BS. Aidan was also saintly, hot, smart, and forgave Carrie a number of sins. Yet both those relationships ended, in a way that acknowledged that this or that person is a good person, but not right for this other person. Samantha was honest in her ending things with Smith, and they stayed friends. Carrie much less so, and she got a lot of flak for it, but it ended because they were each being true to themselves, and what they each needed couldn't coexist. This character assassination of Miranda and Steve is unconscionable. Miranda was always my favorite; I saw a lot of myself in her. I don't recognize this woman.

Edited by monagatuna
Aidan was also hot
  • Love 9
On 1/15/2022 at 10:22 AM, RedHawk said:

Exactly. If you go to the auction “to support your friends” (Charlotte is also their friend) you should at least put in one or two silent bids. You don’t even have to bid to win. Is Carrie really so fragile that she can’t be a participant without 12 friends there? It was for a lunch

Anthony was urging Charlotte, “Do something!” when Carrie got no bids. Uh, why didn’t HE bid? Still wondering where Charlotte’s “three divorced dads” were that she was so eager to have Carrie meet. I guess they took one look at her and hit the bar instead. (Or they let the divorced moms deal with school auctions.) 

As I recall, Charlotte and Harry were looking at the silent auction stuff and I think Charlotte bid on something for Rock. 

ETA:  I never liked MPK.  Felt he was always far too full of himself and would be nothing without SJP.  I don’t know what her thing is with him, but with this reboot, he’s destroyed her legacy with SATC.

Edited by b2H
  • Love 4

Even if it was supposed to be self effacing (har de har har?) Harry’s comment about being Jewish and, therefore, inept at sports was really, really bad. I guess in all the PC-ness this show wants to engage in, it’s still OK to make a joke like that. K.

I know I called the writers hacks from the beginning. Allow me to amend that to infuckingsufferable hacks. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I didn't make that much of Harry's self-deprecating comment. I'm sure he knows there have been great Jewish athletes in just about all the sports. 

I feel bad for not only Steve but the actor, David Eigenberg. That scene at the market was humiliating. Everything about it screamed that Miranda was embarrassed that this was her husband, compared to Nya's husband, and it was directed as if we were supposed to be suffering along with Miranda. Then, in the kitchen failed-sex scene, Miranda turned her back on Steve so she could more easily pretend he was Che...and even then, it didn't work. 

"They're just not that into you," Miranda. I was impressed, though, that Che was that honest: Miranda isn't in love with them, but the feeling and the sex, and "the weed helps." Of course, it's dumbing down Miranda, because she should know this. She's not new to sex or relationships. 

I didn't mind the time-montage thing so much, either. Most of December is still fall. They could go from "autumn leaves" to snow to either literal spring or spring-like, and it would be a near enough thing that I'd settle for "three months." 

Carrie's a hack. Even her "bad" date gave her more than enough material for the hopeful epilogue the publisher wanted. Just play down the amount of alcohol intake and end with walking out of the restaurant laughing together, after the somber "widowed people" introductions. could turn that into a hopeful epilogue. 

Edited by NotMySekrit2Tell
  • Love 7

So is this a six month time jump then?  The three months in physical therapy it took Carrie to wear heels again and then the three months it took to write the book?  It genuinely doesn’t seem like everything is happening on that same timeline and, man, if Miranda is still simping for Che after HALF A YEAR of not hearing from them, that is all kinds of pathetic.

Joker outfit aside, that picture really highlights how unflattering that hairstyle is on SJP.  Did the show get a new hairstylist as well? 

I know it probably won’t happen but I do hope they leave Eigenberg and Steve with the slightest shred of dignity by having him tell Miranda to eff off, but knowing this show and how completely all in they’ve gone in on Miranda’s “awakening” and the writers’ agendas, he’ll probably be like “I completely respect your sexual journey and evolution and understand that I was not giving you what you needed, which is entirely my fault.  I wish you and Che the best and I will parent Brady 100% from now on so that you will no longer have any heteronormative  cisgender shackles weighing down your transcendentally enlightened pansexual self.” 

• Love 14
22 minutes ago, NotMySekrit2Tell said:

I didn't make that much of Harry's self-deprecating comment. I'm sure he knows there have been great Jewish athletes in just about all the sports. 

For me it wasn't about the self deprecation if said in other contexts.  I have laughed along with the best of them at Jewish self deprecation going back all of my life and am part Jew myself.  For me it was the the self-deprecation within the context of a show that's trying overly hard to sanitize itself of negative ethnic and sexual stereotypes, and even those that are self uttered fall into that category as far as I'm concerned.  Given how hard this show is trying to rid itself of those things comments like this make it seem like it's still acceptable for certain ethnic groups to utter self deprecatory comments, while it would be considered insulting if lines like that were written for others.

• Love 3

OK... this is nothing against this lady's perfectly pleasant girl next door face, but that HAIR!

Is this giving anyone else Bugs Bunny - My stars, if an iNNNteresting monster can't have an iNNNteresting hairdo teas?

D23375ED-27FE-4B5A-BC5A-263EB3E25DE1.thu

96c7f803feb575665a0944b5ffed3bf5.jpg

Given their age is about right — I think they were initially twelve and a six month time jump - I would actually *love* to see Harry and Charlotte trying to throw Rock a non-binary bar/bat mitzvah.  Which, I don’t know if we’ve had any indication as to how they’re raising the kids as Jewish.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, NotMySekrit2Tell said:

I feel bad for not only Steve but the actor, David Eigenberg. That scene at the market was humiliating. Everything about it screamed that Miranda was embarrassed that this was all she had to show for herself as a husband, compared to Nya's husband, and it was directed as if we were supposed to be suffering along with Miranda. Then, in the kitchen failed-sex scene, Miranda turned her back on Steve so she could more easily pretend he was Che...and even then, it didn't work. 

Again, the context here makes it even worse and is part of what lead me to say earlier in the thread that if you are a straight white man in this series you have a mark on your head.  The implication of humiliating Steve in that manner is that Miranda would be better off with either a strong woman/transgender person or even a straight man of another race.  

• Love 5
18 hours ago, NotMySekrit2Tell said:

"They're just not that into you," Miranda. I was impressed, though, that Che was that honest: Miranda isn't in love with them, but the feeling and the sex, and "the weed helps." Of course, it's dumbing down Miranda, because she should know this. She's not new to sex or relationships. 

It's so weird. Miranda's behaving like a teenager, not a 50-something woman with so much relationship and sex experience under her belt. Just a little interaction and messing around and she thinks she's in love?

I can totally get a crush/infatuation. Che has a beautiful face, lots of confidence, unpredictability, and can be quite funny even if their style of comedy isn't for everyone. I can see finding them exciting to get to know and be around. But such sudden intense feelings don't ring true to me. Honestly, Miranda is reminding me more of Charlotte in her 30s. I thought Charlotte had an immature attitude toward relationships too, but Miranda was always so practical about everything. 

I also could have almost seen Miranda more drawn to Che's lifestyle back in the day. A stressed out attorney with a young child who helps care for a MIL with dementia might almost wish she could live vicariously through a free-spirited, pot smoking comedian. But Miranda's life, while unhappy, looks good except for the fact Brady lacks boundaries. She and her family are healthy even if they've gotten older and deal with issues. Her husband is a good guy. Money isn't an issue. She doesn't have a ton of pressure anymore. Lots of women would kill to trade places with her. It would have been nice if they had written Miranda gradually falling out of love with Steve over the years then pretending she was never happy with him and is instantly in love with Che. As others here have said, she chose him over a dreamy doctor. She forgave him for his cheating and was so happy when he showed up at the Brooklyn Bridge to continue their life together. This sudden turn just doesn't make sense. 

It is sad that they really are dumbing down Miranda. I thought maybe the initial interaction with Dr. Nya was just some writing making Miranda out to be something she's not. Smart people can have awkward, stupid moments. But we're still getting more dumb Miranda. :(

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 10
On 1/13/2022 at 11:56 AM, ivygirl said:

That honestly made me sad, @RedHawk. Steve was up for it. And he was trying. 

And then has the audacity to tell Carrie that they were BOTH dead, both of them "like zombies" -- no Miranda, that was just you. 

Also I actually appreciated seeing Steve wash his hands! That's really thoughtful and you should care what's on your partners hands before they stick them down your pants. 

• Love 11