Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Sex and the Widow

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, greekmom said:

Miranda has not spoken to Steve at all but decided to try and have sex with him to recreate the sex she had with Che.  At least Steve washed his hands. But why couldn't they take it to the bedroom?  And in the end, Miranda in bed with Che.  I am very disgusted at her character and they way they have assassinated Miranda.  I don't care if Cynthia is a lesbian, bi, pan or whatever.  I don't care if Miranda herself figures out she is lesbian, bi, pan or whatever.  What she has done to Steve and the major disregard for him and their marriage of 15 years or more is disgusting especially when she chewed him out and treated him like crap for a one night stand he had.

This. It's not like Miranda had a good faith effort to rekindle things with Steve, because you know what a good faith effort looks like? Asking him out on a date, maybe going to a hotel instead of their house for the night, or planning a vacation for the two of them, or doing something nice for him, like buying him a new shirt or visiting him at work, etc.

All Miranda wanted to do was "check the box" so she could tell Carrie, "Hey, I tried having sex with Steve, but there was nothing there. Poof. Gone," and that "effort" alone, would make  her guilt-free in pursuing a full-blown affair with Che. 

I know people change, but my God, this is freaking Miranda, the queen of the list of pros and cons, meaning she's very deliberate in deciding life-changing events. I mean, it's possible she's having this wild moment of pure abandon, but the writing just couldn't sell it. And did I miss something - did they ever have a conversation of her potentially changing sexuality and preferences? Her attraction to someone who's not a man? Or was it just all about the sex, regardless of who it was with, and it just so happened to be Che?

• Love 19
22 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

This. It's not like Miranda had a good faith effort to rekindle things with Steve, because you know what a good faith effort looks like? Asking him out on a date, maybe going to a hotel instead of their house for the night, or planning a vacation for the two of them, or doing something nice for him, like buying him a new shirt or visiting him at work, etc.

All Miranda wanted to do was "check the box" so she could tell Carrie, "Hey, I tried having sex with Steve, but there was nothing there. Poof. Gone," and that "effort" alone, would make  her guilt-free in pursuing a full-blown affair with Che. 

I know people change, but my God, this is freaking Miranda, the queen of the list of pros and cons, meaning she's very deliberate in deciding life-changing events. I mean, it's possible she's having this wild moment of pure abandon, but the writing just couldn't sell it. And did I miss something - did they ever have a conversation of her potentially changing sexuality and preferences? Her attraction to someone who's not a man? Or was it just all about the sex, regardless of who it was with, and it just so happened to be Che?

I'll even buy that it's all about a sexual awakening and becuase it's with non-binary Che Miranda doesn't see herself exactly as making a switch in sexual preference, just that it's the most astounding sex of her life, etc. etc. etc. 

I don't buy that it's a "wild moment of pure abandon" although I think that's what they were selling for the first sex in Carrie's apartment. Now there's been at least three months for Miranda, the old Miranda who had morals and a brain, to think about how this has changed her and to honestly make an attempt to rekindle something with Steve, or just admit to him that she can't try again and needs to move on. Instead she's pining over Che, who's a player (and a stoner) not to be trusted, while going through the motions with Steve and seeing and hating every little fault that he has. (She was so embarrassed to introduce him to Dr. Nya and husband. Horrible and unkind.) It's kind of true to life, but not true to the Miranda we used to know, and that's why it's so annoying.

ETA: Well, I know some women and men change a lot in marriage. When they're done with their partner, they're done, and they can be hurtful and mean. That's why so many divorces get really ugly. 

Please let Steve totally blow his top and treat her the same cold and angry way she treated him when he had a one-night stand and tearfully confessed. That would also be true to life, but instead I see him being broken-hearted. Which will be really hard to watch.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 17
8 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Hate hate hate Miranda's story.

And does the actor that play Steve actually have some hearing problem or?

No. David Eigenberg has been on Chicago Fire since 2012, when it started. His character was promoted at some point to lieutenant. The actor himself is fine. This is just the usual shitfest from this dumpster fire of a series.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

No. David Eigenberg has been on Chicago Fire since 2012, when it started. His character was promoted at some point to lieutenant. The actor himself is fine. This is just the usual shitfest from this dumpster fire of a series.

According to a recent Vanity Fair interview with two of the And Just Like That writers, David Eigenberg has some hearing loss.

For starters, Steve is partially deaf because David Eigenberg is actually battling hearing loss in real life.

“When [showrunner] Michael Patrick [King] reconnected with David Eigenberg about the show, the very first thing that David said was, ‘I got hearing aids.’ It was literally what he led with,” said Zuritsky. “That actually wound up being Steve’s tone about his aging [in the show].”

However, they didn't have to make it part of Steve's character and even if they did, they didn't have to write it like they are. David operates just fine on Chicago Fire as I'm sure in his every day life. They've made Steve being hard of hearing a negative thing and it's all to service their storyline for Miranda's switcheroo.

Edited by funnygirl
  • Useful 2
  • Love 21

I'm confused by the vomit scene. They were laughing and having a great time and then abruptly both started vomiting. I assumed they got food poisoning but it was never discussed what happened. Why was Carrie so judgmental about it?

I feel bad but Che and Miranda just really gross me out. I don't feel any chemistry between them at all. They should've brought in the actress who played Shane from the L word. She just oozed sex appeal.

Why on earth are they making it like Steve has a developmental disability? It's awful.

This series is really character assassination.

• Love 20
23 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

According to a recent Vanity Fair interview with two of the And Just Like That writers, David Eigenberg has some hearing loss.

For starters, Steve is partially deaf because David Eigenberg is actually battling hearing loss in real life.

“When [showrunner] Michael Patrick [King] reconnected with David Eigenberg about the show, the very first thing that David said was, ‘I got hearing aids.’ It was literally what he led with,” said Zuritsky. “That actually wound up being Steve’s tone about his aging [in the show].”

However, they didn't have to make it part of Steve's character and even if they did, they didn't have to write it like they are. David operates just fine on Chicago Fire as I'm sure in his every day life. They've made Steve being hard of hearing a negative thing and it's all to service their storyline for Miranda's switcheroo.

Of course the actor lead with that, because they need to know he's having hearing problems! It might affect how they interact with him on set, that accommodations might need to be made, and maybe they just write it into the character, as they did. 

It doesn't mean the character has to lead with it and it certainly doesn't and should not have been handled so negatively. We have one character who uses a wheelchair and Carrie's new editor is very overweight, we're checking the boxes and saying "hey, we're showing a diversity of people like in real life and it's all good" but a man with hearing loss is treated as if he's a prematurely old and befuddled. A good friend of mine is 60 and has the small, unobtrusive hearing aids. I don't see her often but during her last visit she put them in and told me about getting them -- I would never have known she wore them otherwise, and it made no difference in her behavior. These writers! Sheesh.

Edited by RedHawk
Changed "obese" to "very overweight". Trying not to offend anyone.
  • Love 14
9 minutes ago, SoWindsor said:

Why on earth are they making it like Steve has a developmental disability? It's awful.

Because that is how hearing aids are viewed by the unfamiliar.  I have worn one for over ten years, had corrective surgery in the  other ear so I don’t need one.  I don’t get the discrimination because one ear is still functional.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, SoWindsor said:

I'm confused by the vomit scene. They were laughing and having a great time and then abruptly both started vomiting. I assumed they got food poisoning but it was never discussed what happened. Why was Carrie so judgmental about it?

I feel bad but Che and Miranda just really gross me out. I don't feel any chemistry between them at all. They should've brought in the actress who played Shane from the L word. She just oozed sex appeal.

This series is really character assassination.

They were very drunk, but yeah, it sure wasn't obvious until they started spewing. Bad acting and directing. 

At the auction they sort of discussed it. Peter 53 made some comment about a hangover and not remembering his (taxi, rideshare) ride home. They were nervous so apparently overindulged.

Edited by RedHawk
Correcting name of Carrie's date
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, luna1122 said:

The way they're trashing Steve, I would no longer be surprised if everybody winds up single again at the end of this, so maybe Harry's next in the trash bin. Charlotte was definitely treating him with some disdain this episode, for no apparent reason 

Spoiler

well she does blow him in the next episode. Or at least attempts it before Lily walks in. 

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

What did they do, become old Puritans in the 15+ years we haven't seen them?

When Samantha left the group. 

29 minutes ago, SoWindsor said:

Guessing she realized they are not in their 20s or 30s anymore where they can drink with abandonment and just throw caution in the wind. 

• Love 5

I don't like these characters anymore! 

Miranda so darned cranky and nasty ALL the time! She's awful to everyone, especially unexpected with Brady. Horrible script, the writers messed this up terribly.

• Love 10

These women act as though they've been in a time capsule for a quarter of a century and just got dropped into 2021 with absolutely NO clue. Like they are brain dead and haven't learned a thing for 25 years. And Charlotte is the worst--I fast-forward the episode when she starts talking--and it spread to Harry who used to be really sharp and intelligent. Wow, this is so bad that you have to watch it, if you can stand it.

I hope they don't bring back Aiden. I couldn't stand it if they destroyed the memory of that wonderful man! He was the best!

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, TheBride said:

Miranda so darned cranky and nasty ALL the time! She's awful to everyone, especially unexpected with Brady. Horrible script, the writers messed this up terribly.

It's just laughably BAD at this point. 

I had forgotten that after Charlotte bid $500 then Carrie had to bid on herself to raise it to $1,000! Sorry, that is even more embarrassing than your date projectile vomiting on you and then you vomiting on yourself and him. It is total humiliation, and in front of a crowd of people who know who you are. At least only random strangers might have seen the first-date puke-fest. 

But in this age of social media, why didn't they have someone take a photo of "sex columnist Carrie Bradshaw" covered in vomit and post it on Twitter! Totally missed opportunity. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Aulty said:

It coud've been worse, I guess.

I am not quite sure where they are going with Nya's story. They are a cute couple and I am mildly interested in her character, but giving her scenes unconnected tot the core trio doesn't fit with the rest of the show. I appreciate that they took a few episodes before Seema joined the group lunches/cocktails.

Yes, the writing is terrible. Nothing makes sense, the characters are just sketches and very shallow. Horrible! Now I know why the critics panned it so badly.

• Love 9

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, apparently, I rewatched. And I agree with the post about Steve being cute during the terrible attempted sex scene. He was taken by surprise, but he almost immediately tried to get into it, and Miranda did NOT really try. She was using him, and she was frankly a heinous bitch about it all. 

And did she really say that 27 second finger bang in Carrie's kitchen was the most transcendent sex of her life? That's not pathetic or anything. 

Also, this show is way overestimating how much I want to see CN semi naked and having sex. Also, I know she's a really good actor, and I know all the heavy breathing is meant to denote unbridled passion and all, but it just makes me think CN really hasn't ever HAD transcendent sex. 

But since I'm being so hateful about her, I will say that she looked really cute at the farmers market in her green jacket and jeans. Why don’t they all dress like that a little more often? 

I still don't think Carrie was judging the teacher or blaming him for the bad datw, she was just embarrassed and didn't want to repeat it. 

I'm a huge Dear Evan Hansen fan but I missed the kids were singing You Will be Found at the auction the first time. 

I do think they're making Miranda super casual about having sex outside of her marriage, and also with someone who is not a man. This is neurotic, analytical Miranda. Che identifies as non-binary but possesses boobs and bodily parts Miranda hasn't, you know, worked with in bed before. I'd just think there'd be some reaction or questions or angst or something about it at some point. Maybe CN had no such reaction, maybe it just all felt natural to her, but I really think Miranda would react differently. But we barely know this Miranda. 

Liked the Billie Eilish song at the end. 

• Love 12
54 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I had forgotten that after Charlotte bid $500 then Carrie had to bid on herself to raise it to $1,000! Sorry, that is even more embarrassing than your date

In that scene, I was waiting for Carrie to have a "Hey, it's for the children! If no one wants to date me, at least let's give the kids some love!" pep talk, and I was expecting that she will also be cheered on, because hey, it's Carrie. At least, turn the embarrassing moment into your favor, and look like the good gal in the end.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 7
53 minutes ago, TheBride said:

Yes, the writing is terrible. Nothing makes sense, the characters are just sketches and very shallow. Horrible! Now I know why the critics panned it so badly.

I feel like it has morphed in to some sort of improve where the teams don't know what each other is creating and then they have to take audience suggestions on melding all the scenes together.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Songs! Intro song was “Spring is Here” by Carly Simon; outro was “Billie Bossa Nova” by Billie Eilish.

Perhaps the writers were trying to accomplish two things with a thread between them:

1) Charlotte and LTW work hard at appearing to be perfect to each other; perhaps their public spats with their respective spouses were meant to get the two women to connect on a deeper level having seen that each other is human.*

2) “We need a cacophony of cringe, a veritable den of discomfort! How can we get Carrie and Steve 53 and Miranda and Che shoehorned into a single event…ooooh what better way to do that than have LTW’s public spat occur at an AUCTION!  With FREMDSCHÄMEN out the ass! Yay we did it, we have a golden storyline thread slithering through the episode!”

And the result was a trash episode.

*except if deeper Charlotte/LTW friendship was meant to be the payoff we never got it.

• Love 3

Maybe it was previous episode...but what's with Charlotte's ridiculous affinity for those international dolls and foisting them on her children to adopt??!!! This is what I mean....these women are completely out of touch, like they just walked out of 1930!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm no prude, and I know SATC obviously had a lot of sexual expression in it. But this series is somehow "off" on that issue. The scenes are trying too hard and they somehow come off as cheap and seamy.

• Love 8

Maybe, Carrie isn’t all that but I thought there would be some bids. Very odd writing. I thought we (me) were Che-less but then she showed up at the auction. Ugh! I felt sorry for Steve because he actually thought Miranda was happy and into it but she was sort of using him because Che supposedly had ghosted her. I could have done without them in bed and Steve didn’t even get to take his shirt off. LOL!!! 

The writing is all over the place. The girls and their new plus one friends don’t do anything for me. I guess the fans of the OG show are falling off as each episode drops. I watch because it’s new but I don’t find myself dying to see it. It’s a shame because it has a lot of potential but they want to show them as they are now but they (the writers) also seem to be fighting against it, too. If they went by fan response I doubt they’d return but I think HBOMax would be happy to have one more season just because. 

Random fashion question. Why was Charlotte’s tennis skirt 5 times too big for her? It was not a good look. I don’t play tennis 🎾 but that skirt was too big, right?

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 8

I'm kind of making sense of the nonsensical timeline. The show says we're now three months past the episode where Miranda sent the text and Carrie decided she didn't want to live in her newly purchased apartment. Apparently we're to imagine Carrie sitting there writing what became the book from the time she first moved back into her old apartment until she sent it to the editor. That's the only way going from green leaves through winter snow to early spring makes sense. She wrote druing the recuperation from surgery (the other time jump) so that three month jump is included in the montage.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, TheBride said:

It was a mistake to kill off Big. 

But they dogged a bullet by doing so. Of course, all the episodes would have been in the can and they would have had little choice to air them but still hear all the backlash.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, TheBride said:

Sigh. I, too, used to like these women. I might have disagreed with them, I might have made different choices,  but they were fun and not too, too divorced from reality, if one could hand wave issues like money.  Once, I would’ve enjoyed being part of their group. I don’t know who these harridans are. I’ll continue to watch the train wreck in a fascinated sort of way, but I can’t say I’m enjoying it. 

• Love 14
10 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I wonder if after they filmed the kitchen hookup episode they realized Che didn't wash their hands before or after and deliberately showed Steve washing his.

Yeah but then they have him cleaning up leftovers with his fingers that have just been in Miranda!!! Argh. So gross 

This show is just so freaking awful. Why do I keep giving it a chance???  Am I THAT Covid over???

• Love 4

Carrie Bradshaw: Writer about relationships, recently widowed

First date dude: Also a writer, also recently widowed

Me, anticipating their first date: "This will be GREAT! They're both writers, one of them writes about relationships and dating, they've both been through horrific bereavement sooner than they probably thought, they're both probably doing this date thing too soon. The banter and the reflective, empathetic conversation will be AMAZING!"

[Carrie & dude vomit on each other.]

Me: Oh. It's still 2020, I see.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The show has always struggled with Steve, they made him progressively stupider and more childish as the show went on, but they at least never made him this doddering old man who Miranda can barley stand, which is all clearly happening so that Miranda can cheat on Steve and then dump him guilt free and we aren't supposed to care, and instead cheer on Miranda for embracing finding her sexuality, but sorry, no dice.

The way SATC is handling age is throwing me off as a 30-something woman. Steve and Nya are only several years apart. One is a doddering old person, the other is trying to start a family. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, apparently, I rewatched. And I agree with the post about Steve being cute during the terrible attempted sex scene. He was taken by surprise, but he almost immediately tried to get into it, and Miranda did NOT really try. She was using him, and she was frankly a heinous bitch about it all. 

And did she really say that 27 second finger bang in Carrie's kitchen was the most transcendent sex of her life? That's not pathetic or anything. 

Also, this show is way overestimating how much I want to see CN semi naked and having sex. Also, I know she's a really good actor, and I know all the heavy breathing is meant to denote unbridled passion and all, but it just makes me think CN really hasn't ever HAD transcendent sex. 

But since I'm being so hateful about her, I will say that she looked really cute at the farmers market in her green jacket and jeans. Why don’t they all dress like that a little more often? 

I still don't think Carrie was judging the teacher or blaming him for the bad datw, she was just embarrassed and didn't want to repeat it. 

I'm a huge Dear Evan Hansen fan but I missed the kids were singing You Will be Found at the auction the first time. 

I do think they're making Miranda super casual about having sex outside of her marriage, and also with someone who is not a man. This is neurotic, analytical Miranda. Che identifies as non-binary but possesses boobs and bodily parts Miranda hasn't, you know, worked with in bed before. I'd just think there'd be some reaction or questions or angst or something about it at some point. Maybe CN had no such reaction, maybe it just all felt natural to her, but I really think Miranda would react differently. But we barely know this Miranda. 

Liked the Billie Eilish song at the end. 

Yes, of all the ruinations of the SATC characters, I must say Miranda is the winner. Where younger Miranda was smart, savvy, vulnerable, quick-witted and loyal, this old version has none of that. She's nasty to everyone--and it's downright offensive how horrible she is to her son, Brady. Though this completely miserable woman seems to have no joy, you would think the writers would insert a little mom-son love. But no. Miranda is a total beeeeatch. I'd like to see her--or ANY of them--actually smile with their eyes the way they did in SATC. 

I guess they always needed Samantha.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The Charlotte plot was weird, why is her apologizing to Harry for knocking him down such a big deal? I feel like its pretty normal to apologize when you accidently hurt someone (especially your damn husband!), I don't really think its a standing up for feminism to die on this ridiculous hill. 

Couldn't agree more. What's funny is as much as I love Charlotte, she had some very old school views on what men and women should be like. (Women just want to be rescued! If you own and he rents, the power structure is off.) Now she's type of woman who doesn't want to apologize for knocking down her husband? How'd she go from being antifeminist to being that annoying victimhood feminist?

I do continue to love Harry. Universe, please send me one. Thanks, RealHousewife. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, RedHawk said:

But in this age of social media, why didn't they have someone take a photo of "sex columnist Carrie Bradshaw" covered in vomit and post it on Twitter! Totally missed opportunity. 

Carrie hasn't had her column for 17 years.  She gave it up at the end of the original series, and as far as I know, never returned to it.  I know she has her books, but I'm not sure if her level of fame is such that she would be recognized and posted to Twitter.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Che's excuse for why they hadn't responded to Miranda's DM was pathetic. But not as pathetic as Miranda buying it. If this were 15 years ago and Carrie was whinging about Big giving the same excuse for blowing Carrie off, Miranda would have grabbed Carrie by the shoulders and told her to get a grip. Che is easily the most insufferable character this show has ever introduced.

I get that the entire season's theme is how nothing can stay the same forever but Christ on a pogo stick. What are they doing to these characters when Carrie - CARRIE - is the most grounded??? Of course, she's still wildly self-involved and has to make everything about her but considering the circumstances, she's been pretty reasonable.

I get what they were trying to do with Charlotte and Harry and her refusal to apologize but they really missed the mark. That was an instance where Charlotte should have apologized. As the season progresses, Charlotte is becoming more and more hysterical.

The most annoying part of the episode for me was when Herbert introduced Carrie at the auction by calling her sex columnist Carrie Bradshaw.  She's a best-selling author, FFS. She wrote a column 15 years ago that was about relationships and dating. Calling her a sex columnist is a classic example of how society sexualizes women as a way to diminish their accomplishments.

More Anthony and Seema, please.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, SoWindsor said:

I thought that they drank too much and got sick? The guy seemed nice. I thought he was attractive. I am glad Carrie is going out with him again. 

I loved the white/black dress Carrie wore to the auction- reminded me of something from White House Black Market (are they still around?). 

I agree with all those up thread that don’t recognize Miranda. She’s lost her damn mind. She thinks she’s “in love” with Che after two fucks? What in the world?? I care more about Miranda’s professor than I do about her at this point (but I think the class is likely over so their friendship isn’t a conflict of interest etc). 

• Love 9
51 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Couldn't agree more. What's funny is as much as I love Charlotte, she had some very old school views on what men and women should be like. (Women just want to be rescued! If you own and he rents, the power structure is off.) Now she's type of woman who doesn't want to apologize for knocking down her husband? How'd she go from being antifeminist to being that annoying victimhood feminist?

I do continue to love Harry. Universe, please send me one. Thanks, RealHousewife. 

Responding to you and @tennisgurl- is it that Charlotte didn’t really want to invite Harry to play doubles and rather than admitting that, she’s on this damn “apologizing hill”? She’s mad at him for being there, and mad at herself for not speaking up and telling him she really wanted to keep tennis between her and LTW?

I love Harry too. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I thought we (me) were Che-less but they she showed up at the auction.

That scene reminded me of The Good Wife. It was the episode where they were prepping Mayoral candidate Alicia for one of her debates. Out of everybody else, Finn (Matthew Goode) is picked to stand in for the other candidate. It was his only scene in the episode. If anyone watched TGW they know how they completely bungled Goode's time on the show and under-used him so badly they didn't bring him back for the next season.

That is to say, Che had no valid reason to be at an auction for some privileged Upper East Side private school auction. That is not their audience. I seriously doubt any of them ever heard of Che.  Watching two of the UES Moms gush and fawn over Che as though the Moms would ever watch Che's special gave me second-hand cringe.

• Love 13

I still want to know why no one has mentioned how Miranda totally flipped out (justifiably) when Steve cheated and threw him out. It took her MONTHS to even think about reconciling or working on the marriage- again justifiable, but is it that she’s so done with Steve she doesn’t care how he feels any more?

• Love 15
Just now, Scarlett45 said:

I still want to know why no one has mentioned how Miranda totally flipped out (justifiably) when Steve cheated and threw him out. It took her MONTHS to even think about reconciling or working on the marriage- again justifiable, but is it that she’s so done with Steve she doesn’t care how he feels any more?

Exactly. I've always said Steve's cheating was wrong, gross and out of character for him. He loved his wife and wasn't sleazy like that. But I thought Miranda's attitude toward her husband and their relationship was wrong too. I got some flack for that before, but I stand by it. Yes, she had a lot on her plate, but not so much she didn't have time for regular lunches with her friends. But Steve? Six months no sex, and when they finally do, she said she wanted to "just get it over with." WTF?!

Why do things always have to be on Miranda's terms? If she's really busy, Steve has to deal with a sexless marriage. If she's really horny, he has to be ready anywhere, anytime and be just like Che. How is any of this fair? 

Miranda has a lot of wonderful qualities, especially before. It was so sweet how she took care of Steve's mom. But she has a lot of shitty qualities too. Steve at least showed remorse over his infidelity. Miranda just wants more. 

• Love 18
19 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Exactly. I've always said Steve's cheating was wrong, gross and out of character for him. He loved his wife and wasn't sleazy like that. But I thought Miranda's attitude toward her husband and their relationship was wrong too. I got some flack for that before, but I stand by it. Yes, she had a lot on her plate, but not so much she didn't have time for regular lunches with her friends. But Steve? Six months no sex, and when they finally do, she said she wanted to "just get it over with." WTF?!

Why do things always have to be on Miranda's terms? If she's really busy, Steve has to deal with a sexless marriage. If she's really horny, he has to be ready anywhere, anytime and be just like Che. How is any of this fair? 

Miranda has a lot of wonderful qualities, especially before. It was so sweet how she took care of Steve's mom. But she has a lot of shitty qualities too. Steve at least showed remorse over his infidelity. Miranda just wants more. 

Yeah we have discussed this in the SATC thread. 

I could see Miranda cheating on Steve, but I would see it as more of an emotional affair first, and it crossed the line. I could also see Miranda- the logical rational person that she has always been, REFLECTING on how things went down when Steve cheated etc. and what she wants to do next.

This character is not our “Miranda”- “in love” after two fucks???? Miranda would never say that to someone after two sexual encounters. She’s acting like a school girl who had her first partnered orgasm and doesnt know how to handle it. 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, RedHawk said:

Yes, I thought that also, which was terrible writing. Washing his hands fit in with Steve's caring character. He's also a (former) bartender and I assume in that profession you wash your hands often so it's an ingrained habit. All it clarified was that Miranda wanted him to re-enact her scene with Che and he wasn't doing it "right" so she quickly gave up and froze him out. Steve wasn't suddenly in the mood, probably because Miranda has conditioned him to accept no sex and he gave up attempting some time ago. So he's a little rusty, but he was surprised, then uncertain but excited, and trying to go along with her. They could have run up to the bedroom like adults, but Miranda wants hot kitchen risky sex just as she remembered it. Then she shut Steve down (again, for the xx time) and claims she "tried". So selfish. It was so sad when he saw nothing was going to happen. I hope Steve takes her for everything in the divorce! LOL.

I haven't read all the replies yet (and I have some thoughts), but I wanted to chime in here. I'm a career bartender. I wash my hands constantly before and throughout my shift (even when grouchy old men bitch at me about "falling for covid propaganda"), as soon as I get home, and after doing anything involving dirty dishes and kitty litter (and obviously after using the restroom) .

It honestly has never occurred to me to wash my hands before getting intimate with my husband. Before reading these forums I didn't know that was a thing! 

It does seem eerie that the writers seem to echo criticisms of the show in the writing. I want to touch on that more in a post once I've read all the replies, but I did notice last episode addressing KD's fillers, and this one addressing Che not washing her hands by having Steve wash his.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I loved the white/black dress Carrie wore to the auction- reminded me of something from White House Black Market (are they still around?). 

Yup! They’re still around. At least here in my hood in LA.

1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

Carrie hasn't had her column for 17 years.  She gave it up at the end of the original series, and as far as I know, never returned to it.  I know she has her books, but I'm not sure if her level of fame is such that she would be recognized and posted to Twitter.

That part about the column and her celebrity was always weird to me. In SATC, Carrie was treated as this NY celebrity just by being a sex columnist in a tabloid. And it didn’t even seem to be one of the more popular tabloids at that. But everyone seemed to know her . And this wasn’t even the age of social media where her columns can easily be shared through FB, Twitter, etc.

And no, I don’t think she ever returned to writing her column even when she moved back from Paris.

But in this time and age? Like someone said above, she’s now a bonafide best-selling author of a lot of books. They made a point of that in the first movie. And this is NY, where authors are celebrated, or at least Carrie said so in one of the SATC eps. I’m having a hard time believing that no one is vaguely aware of her in Charlotte’s school.

• Love 5

The editor was talking about the book being a stocking stuffer. Is it spring and it's for next Christmas? Timeline is so confusing.

I'm no Che fan, but they didn't exactly promise Miranda a rose garden. They banged in the kitchen and left it on a "see you around" basis. If I was Che, I'd be shitting my pants to hear Miranda tell me she loves me. Horrible judgement. 

Oh, and asking your wife to do something / give your wife advice is not mansplaining.

Totally agree that a school this elite would have an actual m/c and probably hire an auctioneer too. The plot contrivance that this woman who is the charming leader of the mothers can't work a crowd is beyond silly. 

• Love 12
14 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Steve is cute. And had the grace to wash his hands beforehand. 

12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think they wanted to show how Steve killed the moment by stopping to wash his hands while Che just got swept up in passion.  Again, vomit, not working for me at all.  I wouldn't want someone's dirty hands on my hoo ha.

12 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I think Steve taking a timeout to wash his hands was supposed to show how they had no passion or spontaneity as a couple.

I agree that was the point.

11 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Steve washed his hands but when there was no there there he didn't wash them after but instead put the lids on the leftovers.

Yes!.  And even said something about the food smelling!

13 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

I liked Carrie’s plot, although I’m a bit confused about the timeline.  Was the opening montage supposed to suggest a whole year had gone by while she had been writing this book we’ve never heard of before?  But then it’s only been three months since Miranda messaged Che?  How long has it been since Big died?  I know there was a time jump in the hip surgery episode, maybe there was another one as well after the funeral?  I’m unclear.

Agreed.  They were definitely showing the passage of several seasons.

Why would  Miranda text the professor “sorry you’re not pregnant,” anyway?  She already said that when she saw her.

An equally embarrassing text-to-voice-while-driving secret reveal was just shown in this week's promo for This Is Us.  Don't assume your text is only going to be read/heard by the person you are sending it to.

Speaking of which, wouldn’t Carrie have asked where that guy taught, and then realized it was at Charlotte’s kid’s school?  Why was she so surprised he was at the auction?  Why was that presented as such a coincidence?  The coincidence was that she was matched with a teacher at that school in the first place, not that he was there at the auction.  

Exactly. 

4 hours ago, slowpoked said:
4 hours ago, RedHawk said:

I had forgotten that after Charlotte bid $500 then Carrie had to bid on herself to raise it to $1,000! Sorry, that is even more embarrassing than your date

In that scene, I was waiting for Carrie to have a "Hey, it's for the children! If no one wants to date me, at least let's give the kids some love!" pep talk, and I was expecting that she will also be cheered on, because hey, it's Carrie. At least, turn the embarrassing moment into your favor, and look like the good gal in the end.

Edited 3 hours ago by slowpoked

I assumed she did that to get the whole thing over with so she could get out of there quickly without any danger of winding up as someone's date.  Remember, she had tried to escape right before the bidding on her started.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TheBride said:

Yes, of all the ruinations of the SATC characters, I must say Miranda is the winner. Where younger Miranda was smart, savvy, vulnerable, quick-witted and loyal, this old version has none of that. She's nasty to everyone--and it's downright offensive how horrible she is to her son, Brady. Though this completely miserable woman seems to have no joy, you would think the writers would insert a little mom-son love. But no. Miranda is a total beeeeatch. I'd like to see her--or ANY of them--actually smile with their eyes the way they did in SATC. 

I think they're trying to portray Miranda in crisis which might explain some of the self absorption.  But it doesn't explain the gross extent they've taken it.  Original Miranda was always second guessing herself and going to Carrie for advice.  She did not do one major or even minor thing without analyzing and thinking it over to death.  She was always afraid of doing the wrong thing and making the wrong decision not only for her but for others too.  But now she just goes ahead and follows her whims without even a moment of self-reflection no matter the consequences?  One thing she always had was a conscience, but we aren't seeing any here at all.  Then she proclaims "love" for Che after two brief casual sex encounters?  She's supposed to be naive enough to think that this was a epic for Che as it was for her?  She has not only lost her personality, she's lost her mind.  Sure, people can change when in a crisis, but we're talking insane unbelievable change here.  It's just bad writing.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, RedHawk said:

I'm kind of making sense of the nonsensical timeline. The show says we're now three months past the episode where Miranda sent the text and Carrie decided she didn't want to live in her newly purchased apartment. Apparently we're to imagine Carrie sitting there writing what became the book from the time she first moved back into her old apartment until she sent it to the editor. That's the only way going from green leaves through winter snow to early spring makes sense. She wrote druing the recuperation from surgery (the other time jump) so that three month jump is included in the montage.

That's how I interpreted it as well. And Miranda DM-ed Che after the post-surgery time jump, not immediately after their kitchen tryst, so about six months have passed since then. Assuming the surgery was also several months after Big's death, it's plausible that it's been almost a year by the time Carrie finished the first draft of the book.

Speaking of the book, it seemed like Carrie had initially wanted it to be a grief memoir in the vein of Joan Didion's A Year of Magical Thinking, but her editor quickly brought her down to earth by reminding her who her target audience is and what they want to read.

The vomiting scene was terrible. There are so many ways to write a bad first date that don't involve bodily fluids.

The auction scene was terrible as well. Charlotte and LTW are supposed to be the queen bees of the school moms, and they would have never selected a lunch with Carrie as an auction item if they didn't think it would have multiple bidders.

Charlotte was in really bad form all episode. Firstly, if she didn't want to play mixed doubles she should have firmly and respectfully told Harry that. And then she should have absolutely apologized for shoving him. That's common courtesy, especially with loved ones. The feminist excuse is just BS. Harry has always been supportive of everything she wanted to do. She's treating Harry as if he's Trey.

Miranda is the biggest hypocrite; how do MPK and Cynthia Nixon not see that? If CN wanted the audience to sympathize with the story of a woman coming out in mid-life, Miranda should have been honest with Steve before cheating on him.

Finally, I hated the scene when Nya almost ran a red light and hit the couple with the stroller. It reminded me of what happened to Broadway actress Ruthie-Ann Miles in 2018. I was living in the same neighborhood in Brooklyn at the time.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Toodleoo said:

2) “We need a cacophony of cringe, a veritable den of discomfort! How can we get Carrie and Steve 53 and Miranda and Che shoehorned into a single event…ooooh what better way to do that than have LTW’s public spat occur at an AUCTION!

And NONE of those 4 actually have ties to that school!!

I kind of thought Carrie bid so she wouldn't have to go on the date.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Finally, I hated the scene when Nya almost ran a red light and hit the couple with the stroller. It reminded me of what happened to Broadway actress Ruthie-Ann Miles in 2018. I was living in the same neighborhood in Brooklyn at the time.

I remember that. So sad. I think the driver killed herself.

I got really pissed at Nya's husband when the toddler dad was screeching and the husband wanted him to chill. If someone almost hits your child, you are going to freak. And if you almost hit a child, you're going to be really shaken, as well. 

On a lighter note... I'm joining the chorus of folks who loved the white dress with black trim. I also really liked the blue dress (I think it was her date dress). And Miranda's jean jacket outfit at the farmer's market. 

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 1

So what was the problem with Carry and the teacher? I don't get it. Seems like they had a lot of fun. They both drank too much and threw up, but it was both of them, so it really shouldn't be that awkward. Shit happens. That could be a funny story of how you met, you tell your close friends in a few years.

Or did some vomit get on her shoes, too? That of course would warrent the death penalty in Carry's eyes.

I don't really get that Miranda storyline either. Just doesn't really fit the character. Even if it did, maybe discuss with your husband an open relationship, before you sleep around. Since you didn't have sex for like 10 years, that should be the next logical step anyway, if you don't want to straight up divorce.

I really don't get any of this. I'm either too old or too young for this show. Not sure which.

• Love 8