Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Sex and the Widow

• Start Topic

Carrie gets an interesting proposition from her book publisher, while Miranda attempts to rekindle a spark with Steve following radio silence from Che.

Original Air Date: 13 Jan 2022

• Love 1

It coud've been worse, I guess.

I am not quite sure where they are going with Nya's story. They are a cute couple and I am mildly interested in her character, but giving her scenes unconnected tot the core trio doesn't fit with the rest of the show. I appreciate that they took a few episodes before Seema joined the group lunches/cocktails.

• Love 11

I wish we got more Carrie in this episode.  It would have been nice if we got to see her more at the actual date, as the math teacher was very charming.

It is a bit random how much they include Nya, but I don't mind. I like her.

Charlotte's storyline was really interesting with her refusal to apologize. I wonder if they are going somewhere with this.

• Love 8

I don't understand Charlotte's refusal to apologize. Of course, I understand women say 'I'm sorry' too often but Harry's not some random guy - he's her husband. The only sense I can make of it is that eventually they'll return to his colonoscopy/medical issue and Charlotte will recognize the value of not leaving something ugly and unresolved with him? But who knows, they also seem to have dropped the whole 'Natasha inheritance' tangent too. The pacing and plotting is so very strange. I wish they had opened the season with Big's death being far in the rearview mirror. This all seems so rushed and I don't buy that an editor could strongarm Carrie into dating before she's ready (especially since the book cover mock up is cleary illustrating it's going to be marketed as a downer). 

Didn't care for the new editor, with they could have gotten Sedaris and Shannon back. 

Were Carrie and her date vomiting from too much to drink? I didn't get that at all.

The less said about the assassination of Steve's character, the better.

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, TakomaSnark said:

I don't understand Charlotte's refusal to apologize. Of course, I understand women say 'I'm sorry' too often but Harry's not some random guy - he's her husband.

Yes.  None of that made sense.  If Charlotte had knocked down a stranger she would have apologized right? Guess mansplaining was another box they needed to check.

3 hours ago, ivygirl said:

I really wish Miranda had just told Che: “you know, this goes both ways. You could have reached out to ME, AND DID NOT, and that tells me all I need to know.” And yet—nope, more Che scenes to FF. I’m starting to feel like Che is Miranda’s Big. 

First of all I don't believe Miranda loves Che.  She is definitely infatuated but love? No.  And if Che was really into Miranda like you said @ivygirl she would have DM'd her. When I was "dating"  I could always tell if a guy was with me or if he was with someone and it just happened to be me.   I think Miranda just happened to be the one Che was with that night.

I think the show wants us to think of Steve as doddering.  

2 hours ago, bobbyjoe said:

If we were watching a show where a man tried to make his wife enact the same sexual scenario he’d just enacted with his secret mistress, he’d be immediately and unquestionably be seen as a show’s villain. And if he then pulled an “I’m not into it” after initiating it at the first sign of his wife’s awkwardness, he’d be firmly established as a cruel, piggish human being.

Yes.  Miranda didn't want to have sex with her husband. She wanted to fantasize about her hook up with Che.  The Steve I remember would have caught on that something isn't right.  And I don't even like Steve but I feel sorry for him.

2 hours ago, bobbyjoe said:

Last week I was suggesting the show was deliberately establishing Miranda as out-of-control in a mid-life crisis and that I was giving it a chance for the show to play this out compassionately by the end of the season.

I don't think the writers (and Cynthia Nixon) see this a midlife crisis. And to be fair a woman awakening to a new sexuality doesn't have to be a midlife crisis but the way Miranda has behaved does seem like a crisis.  For me she has become so unlikable.   I notice when she is talking to Nya her voice has a higher pitch. When she ran into Nya and her husband Miranda almost screeched. Are we supposed to still think she is nervous or something?

3 hours ago, ivygirl said:

I did appreciate Anthony saying “You get one more of those!!!” It was an Anthony thing to say, but it also expresses how most of us feel.

There were a couple episodes she barely acknowledged her husband was dead and now she is going to bring it up all the time.

Not a spoiler,  just my speculation.

Spoiler

I feel like they are leading up to her reconnecting with Aiden.  She is going to be on a bad date or having a bad day and she is just going to magically run into him.  And cut. Scene. See you next season.

• Love 16
1 minute ago, Harvey said:

What else would you like to see about that? I think that storyline was wrapped up very concisely: Big left her the money, she doesn't want it and gave it to charity. Carrie and Natasha cleared up their differences but agreed that it's better if they stay away from each other. What else is there to say?

YMMV but it seems odd to me to introduce it - and Brenda Vaccaro's character along with it - and then just abandon the the topic entirely. To most spouses, discovering your deceased partner left a seven figure gift to an ex is not the kind of thing that just happens out of the goodness of his/her heart. But as mentioned, they seem to have done the same with Harry's colonoscopy, which had the feeling of being a set-up for an issue with his health and was apparenlty just a nothingburger.

The pacing is an absolute mess.

• Love 6

Harry's colonoscopy might come back in the season finale, but the point of the scene where Charlotte cancelled his colonoscopy just to have dinner with LWW clearly showed how messed up her priorities are. She values her friendship with LWW more than the health of her husband. That was the point of that scene.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, bobbyjoe said:

I thought for a moment the show might— might— be trying to draw a parallel between how fast Carrie was to ./.

If we were watching a show where a man tried to make his wife enact the same sexual scenario he’d just enacted with his secret mistress, he’d be immediately and unquestionably be seen as a show’s villain. And if he then pulled an “I’m not into it” after initiating it at the first sign of his wife’s awkwardness, he’d be firmly established as a cruel, piggish human being.

Ozark did almost the same thing:  Marty's rationale was that he assumed, having watched the tape of Wendy with her side dude, that he thought she was into that.  I took it as Miranda maybe assuming if she could just recreate it, but with Steve...maybe the spontaneity and almost getting caught (i.e. like with Che sort of worried that Carrie might wake up/Brady may be home any minute!), maybe she thought if all other things were equal in the kitchen sex scenario, maybe THAT would account for the intensity?  That was how I took it.

This felt like the closest epi yet to the feel of the original series. 

And I am here for every minute of Charlotte setting the Tennis Boundary and sticking to it!  It's so weird, and random, and I just inexplicably love it!

Edited by BeatrixK
  • Love 4

This is supposed to be fun! I have a phobia and literally had the beginnings of a panic attack when all the graphic sickness happened. I don’t want to see that! Again and again no less! 
Also, if I had never seen the show, I would honestly think Miranda had married someone with a developmental disability. Why is David Eigenberg acting that way?? It’s too much.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
17 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

Steve is cute. And had the grace to wash his hands beforehand. 

I wonder if after they filmed the kitchen hookup episode they realized Che didn't wash their hands before or after and deliberately showed Steve washing his.

12 minutes ago, clubsauce said:

Also, if I had never seen the show, I would honestly think Miranda had married someone with a developmental disability.

Yes. My feeling is they are intentionally writing him this way so the audience will be Team Miranda.  Hate to tell them but it is not working on me.

12 minutes ago, clubsauce said:

Why is David Eigenberg acting that way?? It’s too much.

I think he is being directed to act this way.  I wonder how the actor feels about this storyline. 

47 minutes ago, BeatrixK said:

Ozark did the almost the same thing:  Marty's rationale was that he assumed, having watched the tape of Wendy with her side dude, that he thought she was into that. 

But this wasn't Miranda initiating something she thought Steve would like. This was Miranda wanting to recreate something she did with someone else.  IMO they have made a mess of the character formerly known as Miranda.    And you know it's not even that it is Miranda. This could have been a brand new character and I still would think the whole thing is just being handled so poorly.

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

I wish they had opened the season with Big's death being far in the rearview mirror.

Were they intending all along to kill off Big? Or was it his misconduct on the set that got him written off?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

Were they intending all along to kill off Big? Or was it his misconduct on the set that got him written off?

Oh they intended to kill him off for the third movie that never happened. There’s no way they could have said stick around, Noth, and film your death as we rewrite and reshoot the entire show overnight.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

Yes. My feeling is they are intentionally writing him this way so the audience will be Team Miranda.  Hate to tell them but it is not working on me.

And the destruction of Steve continues....

I feel like if you're a straight white guy on this show there's a number on your head.  Who's next, Harry?  Although they've made Charlotte wrong in this episode I am still not confident they won't get to him eventually.  I'm less worried about any SWM associated with Carrie because of course SJP wouldn't allow it.

Everyone is so keyed up here.  SATC had a relaxed vibe to it that is just the opposite here.  Plus the new characters haven't been around long enough to be devoting that much side plot to them alone, IMHO.  Another aspect force-fit into the show in an attempt to be more progressive.

I wonder if after they filmed the kitchen hookup episode they realized Che didn't wash their hands before or after and deliberately showed Steve washing his.

I think they wanted to show how Steve killed the moment by stopping to wash his hands while Che just got swept up in passion.  Again, vomit, not working for me at all.  I wouldn't want someone's dirty hands on my hoo ha.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 16
3 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I wouldn't want someone's dirty hands on my hoo ha.

Honestly I was more grossed out that Che didn't wash their hands afterwards.  They just left. So that means they touched Carrie's door handle. And then the door handle of the door to go outside and then who knows how many things afterward.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

I’m in the target age group for this show.   I relate to a lot of it.  As for the colonoscopy thing.  Past 50, everyone gets them.  It’s just something you do.   I don’t think it was meant to foreshadow anything.  I think it was just another clumsy attempt at making a joke about how old they were, (like Steve’s hearing loss), and how Charlotte was willing to reschedule something important for Harry so she could suck up to her new friend. She’s not nice to Harry at all, why wouldn’t she just apologize?  Even if she disagreed that she needed to?  His feelings were hurt, and she was hurting him more the more she refused to apologize.  That’s not a good marriage.  (And don’t get me started on the gratuitous crack from Harry about a Jewish guy trying to play sports.  Harry’s Jewishness on the show, including his “stereotypical” look, has always been played for laughs, and it grates. ) 

I don't even think the constant references to aging are an attempt at humor, probably a misguided bad attempt at being more "relevant" to 50+ women.  Which it is not. The clumsy attempts at making the women's aging relatable to the older audience are backfiring because the writers aren't old enough to understand what it's like to be a post menopausal woman.  To them anyone over 50 might as well be 80, hence everyone acting like they're two steps away from a nursing home.  I read that they are no older than 40, even younger.   And they are depicting the women as juvenile because, well, maybe they are too?  Or maybe they are semi-intentionally destroying and insulting these characters and making them look juvenile because it feeds into a poor attitude towards older people.   

And Harry should not have to be put down by engaging in ethnically based self-deprecation like that.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

Even if it was supposed to be self effacing (har de har har?) Harry’s comment about being Jewish and, therefore, inept at sports was really, really bad. I guess in all the PC-ness this show wants to engage in, it’s still OK to make a joke like that. K.

• Love 16
Just now, ivygirl said:

Even if it was supposed to be self effacing (har de har har?) Harry’s comment about being Jewish and, therefore, inept at sports was really, really bad. I guess in all the PC-ness this show wants to engage in, it’s still OK to make a joke like that. K.

I assumed it was a nod/riff (or just plain rip-off) on the Airplane! joke.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ivygirl said:

But if so… It’s a weird thing to just toss in there in the context of *this* show. It stood out like a sore thumb, in the context of how aware this show is telling us to be.

I guess I'd say it was Harry saying it to be self-deprecating about himself and not someone non-Jewish saying it as an insult to him. Harry's always had a good sense of humor about himself.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

I guess I'd say it was Harry saying it to be self-deprecating about himself and not someone non-Jewish saying it as an insult to him. Harry's always had a good sense of humor about himself.

Sure. But again—this show is doing its best to tell us how to handle racial, cultural, and gender issues. To just put those words in an character’s mouth… I dunno. I get that people joke like that, but it felt very uncomfortable to me *as a line on this show.* YMMV.

• Love 8

I had a worse thought. I think Steve taking a timeout to wash his hands was supposed to show how they had no passion or spontaneity as a couple.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Since it was explained that the auction item date with Carrie (the sex writer, ugh, stupid) was for lunch why wouldn't any of the women bid on her, who wouldn't want a lunch with a published author with an interesting life?   Also, there were no stipulations that it had to be just one person on that date so why wouldn't a couple have bid?

Right? At this point in career, she's certainly branched out from being the 'sexpert,' as she was somewhat derisively called when she was younger. Why not just 'the writer, Carrie Bradshaw'?

• Love 10
41 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:
46 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I wouldn't want someone's dirty hands on my hoo ha.

Honestly I was more grossed out that Che didn't wash their hands afterwards.  They just left. So that means they touched Carrie's door handle. And then the door handle of the door to go outside and then who knows how many things afterward.

I feel like the subtle message here is that woke sex between people that suddenly discover the fluidity of their true sexuality is superior to fusty/marmy/old lady sex where people actually are considerate about each other's health and germs.  I think the "old" Miranda would have had Steve trained to wash his hands, LOL.  Oh, but "new" Miranda is so full of wild "abandon" that we fusty/marmy/old ladies will never know because we are just not woke enough.  Gag me.

• LOL 4
  • Love 19

And Just like that.... two of my favourite characters are ruined beyond repair.

Miranda has not spoken to Steve at all but decided to try and have sex with him to recreate the sex she had with Che.  At least Steve washed his hands. But why couldn't they take it to the bedroom?  And in the end, Miranda in bed with Che.  I am very disgusted at her character and they way they have assassinated Miranda.  I don't care if Cynthia is a lesbian, bi, pan or whatever.  I don't care if Miranda herself figures out she is lesbian, bi, pan or whatever.  What she has done to Steve and the major disregard for him and their marriage of 15 years or more is disgusting especially when she chewed him out and treated him like crap for a one night stand he had.

Charlotte is another and the way she treats Harry.  She should have apologized to Harry for knocking him over. I don't think she wanted the husbands there in the first place but still....

Something Carrie said to Miranda made me pause.  Did Miranda and Steve seek therapy for their marital problems even after the affair?  I thought I heard Miranda say something about a few therapists.

If that's the case. Why didn't they just present from the beginning that they are just there for the sake of Brady but living their own lives apart??? I would have been able to accept the affair more if that was the case.

Forgot to add. I see Che more as Richard than Big.

Edited by greekmom
forgot to add.
  • Love 24
36 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

I know, the next thing you know they'll be comparing Steve to a Leprechaun.  Why that is OK on this show while other ethnic side jokes are not is one reason why I am growing to hate this show.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Miranda has not spoken to Steve at all but decided to try and have sex with him to recreate the sex she had with Che.  At least Steve washed his hands. But why couldn't they take it to the bedroom?  And in the end, Miranda in bed with Che.  I am very disgusted at her character and they way they have assassinated Miranda.  I don't care if Cynthia is a lesbian, bi, pan or whatever.  I don't care if Miranda herself figures out she is lesbian, bi, pan or whatever.  What she has done to Steve and the major disregard for him and their marriage of 15 years or more is disgusting especially when she chewed him out and treated him like crap for a one night stand he had.

If Miranda is Pansexual then Che is Potsexual, she cannot function without getting stoned, she seems to never have sex without smoking weed first.  I have a feeling this will wear thin on Miranda, that is why we do not say we love someone until we get to know them, Che has shown us that she has not problem luring someone who is in a relationship in to having sex with her, she is too stoned to read or message back a text...Miranda will get hurt and hopefully Steve will not take her back.

Steve washed his hands but when there was no there there he didn't wash them after but instead put the lids on the leftovers.

19 minutes ago, greekmom said:

I see Che more as Richard than Big.

You are so right about that.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

If Miranda is Pansexual then Che is Potsexual, she cannot function without getting stoned, she seems to never have sex without smoking weed first.  I have a feeling this will wear thin on Miranda, that is why we do not say we love someone until we get to know them, Che has shown us that she has not problem luring someone who is in a relationship in to having sex with her, she is too stoned to read or message back a text...Miranda will get hurt and hopefully Steve will not take her back.

Yep.  And I also have an issue with the amount of pot Che intakes.  To me, they have a problem.

I forgot to mention I don't understand why Carrie had an issue being touted as a sex writer.  Wasn't her tag line in the Post: "Carrie Bradshaw knows good sex*" *and isn't afraid to ask. " ???

• Love 10
50 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Yup confusing is right, the writers are not even trying at this point.

It's been pretty clear from the start they wanted to show how "woke" they are and have shoved so much into each episode to virtue signal how much they care about diversity and whatever else they are trying to show us that they have forgotten to write good scripts.  There might be a scene that is done well and most of Anthony's lines are great but it doesn't feel like they did storyline arcs.  If you look at SATC each season had a beginning and an end and the episodes in between showed the journey.  But AJLT is failing to do that.  And is it my imagination but there seem to be a lot more scenes with AJLT than there was with SATC?  I realize it's a longer show but still seems like a lot.

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Steve washed his hands but when there was no there there he didn't wash them after but instead put the lids on the leftovers.

I noticed that to. Why is it so hard for this show to show good hygiene?  Especially since we as viewers are still in the middle of a pandemic.

39 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Forgot to add. I see Che more as Richard than Big.

Richard at least tried to be charming. 

• Love 10

The fact that he had to be self deprecating about this at all is the problem.  His Jewishness is being played for laughs.  It’s not the first time. And it grates.  It’s part of the incessant “othering” of people of a different background than the main characters.  

• Love 7