Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Sex and the Widow

• Start Topic

SJP landed the big Vogue cover but I don’t think she did any of the late nights or daytime talk shows.  I suspect she wanted to control the publicity as much as possible and she knew Vogue would be fully complimentary to her.

• Useful 1

So....the writers get their storylines by having this bizarre "this one time?  At band camp?  My phone read my text messages to my husband!" discussions and they all get a chance to play?  Forgive me my ignorance but is that how it works in the writers room?  Talk about ego.  The rest of them are right up there with MPK.  

I, too, liked Richard (until the Hudson hotel episode with Smith, then i hated him).  I swooned on the rooftop with Samantham. And I also liked how Samantha watched herself in that relationship knowing that it was not right. That was a character driven plot line.  Not an example of band camp stories.  

The one storyline I haven't hated is Rock.  I think it is actually being handled okay. Charlotte is acting like a lunatic elsewhere in life.  But her and Harry navigating this as parents feels....normal.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I  think HBO needs blamed as well.  They have always considered themselves edgy and always pushing the envelope so of course they aren't going to tell these "woke" people they aren't doing a good job.

Does anyone have any understanding of why they didn't just put this on HBO, where SATC originally ran?

Why HBOMAX? Not every TV in our house is a smart TV, and I'm sure I'm not the only person in that situation. The one I bought most recently for our bdr is, but it doesn't always connect to our wireless network and even though HBOMAX is free to cable subscribers who have HBO...  you have to sign in with the account holder's password (in this case my mum) and she can't remember it. So I need to go through some BS with the cable co and have her nearby to give permission. I'm not looking forward to it.

TLDR:  I have to go significantly  out of my way to watch the show.

• Love 4

Thanks to @ChicksDigScars I again read this interview with the writers from Vanity Fair.

It's so full of justifications for the bad writing on this show. Loved this gem: After a time jump that fast-forwards through some of Carrie’s grief, “Sex and the Widow” also features Carrie’s first date after Big’s death. “We were very aware that the whole world was wanting her to go on a date and hoping she would go on a date,” said Rottenberg, who wrote the episode with Zuritsky. 

Um, no, the "whole world" wasn't wanting Carrie to go on a date. I'll bet not even half of the show's fans strongly wanted it. Because we're real human beings who understand grief and taking time to heal and were fine with watching Carrie go through a realistic journey. These writers are delusional.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 13
15 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

“We were very aware that the whole world was wanting her to go on a date and hoping she would go on a date,” said Rottenberg, who wrote the episode with Zuritsky. 

Um, no, the "whole world" wasn't wanting Carrie to go on a date. I'll bet not even half of the show's fans strongly wanted it. Because we're real human beings who understand grief and taking time to heal and were fine with watching Carrie go through a realistic journey. These writers are delusional.

What she means is we don't know how to write Carrie as anything other than a woman being defined by having a man in her life.  

• Love 12

Bad sign #1:  It's January 21st and I'm just watching episode 7 now.  I totally forgot about this show for the last 2 weeks. 

Bad sign #2:  I get to this thread and it's 9 (!) pages long. 

Bad sign #3:  I read the first page, and there wasn't a single complimentary comment about this episode or the show.  

I'm guessing this has been said at least 100 times, but I fast forwarded through both of Miranda's sex scenes.  I was sort of glad to have a hetero scene that I had to stop watching, because I've been starting to wonder if I have some latent homophobia because I so hate the Miranda/Che sex scenes.  Nope.  I'm good.  I equally hate the Miranda/Steve sex scenes.  So thank you show for allowing me to be disgusted by hetero sex.

And I realized, I don't hate Che.  I hate Che and Miranda.  I like Che in scenes when they are not with Miranda.

And someone needs to stop putting so much makeup on Miranda for every day scenes.  It doesn't fit the character, and it makes her look really old.

Bottom line - Miranda sucks.  Completely, totally sucks.  They've ruined her in every way, and then they find a way to ruin her more.

Honestly, other than the Miranda issues, I'm ok with this show.  Not loving it, but fine with it as something to entertain me for 45 minutes a week (when I remember).  I liked the Carrie & widower story line.  I liked the Charlotte & Harry fight.  Loved Carrie's dresses on date night and at the auction.  Hated that oversized clown suit & tie she had on in the scene with her editor.  And I'm equally confused about how much time passed - it seemed like the greater part of a year from the weather/window montage, but Miranda's all "oh, 3 months since I texted Che".  huh???

Edited by chaifan
  • Love 5

I think Che's fucking with Miranda's head.   I can't think of another reason why a 46-year-old Netflix celebrity with a young LGBT fan base would want to have sex with a prematurely-aged frump ten years their senior who doesn't know when to put down the eyeshadow.

Miranda's desperate behavior in the kitchen should have left Steve wondering if she was drunk.  Oh wait, that's right, Miranda cured her alcoholism by pouring a couple bottles down the toilet.   The drinking problem she said was brought on by her dead-end marriage.  The one she's still trapped in.  I think a more realistic turn of events would have been Miranda falling off the wagon at the auction because she's still married to Steve and being ignored by Che, and then confronting Che in a big public drunken scene. 

Not only is Carrie a sex-writer, she's part of a podcast roundtable where participants discuss sex in the most blatant, irreverent terms.   The lady doth protest too much. 

I don't like the way Miranda and Charlotte seem to be desperate for the attention and approval of the new characters.   It's taking them out of their accustomed lanes and the result is cringey as hell.

I don't care about any of the new characters and have zero interest in their scenes without the core trio.  

This is a terrible show.

• Love 2

Man, Charlotte is being quite the asshole.  But as much as I've never liked her character, it was extremely out of character (something I'm seeing a lot of on this show with a few characters) for her not to even say "I'm sorry" when she knocked her husband down on the court and then to insist she didn't have to say it and ridiculed him for asking for the apology he really deserved. But whatever.

Despite all the negative buzz and things like the above complaint, I'm enjoying the show more than I expected to, actually.  

Edited by newyawk
spelling
  • Love 1

And by the way, I want to add that I love seeing Miranda and Steve's renovated brownstone and what they've done with it, and thinking of what a major fixer upper it was when they first bought it. I know they showed it all done in the first movie, but the kitchen looked remodeled again.  Anyway, I like looking at it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I too want to know why Steve wanting to wash his hands before sex was such a deal breaker, especially in COVID times. But then, Miranda had become so self-absorbed the pandemic wouldn’t even be a blip on her radar.

Yeah, any sympathy I had for Miranda being cheated on in the movie is GONE. This is way, way worse than a one-night stand. And she was kind of treating Steve like crap before he cheated on her too. Have we all forgotten “Let’s just get it over with”?

• Like 7
On 6/26/2023 at 7:17 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I too want to know why Steve wanting to wash his hands before sex was such a deal breaker, especially in COVID times. But then, Miranda had become so self-absorbed the pandemic wouldn’t even be a blip on her radar.

Yeah, any sympathy I had for Miranda being cheated on in the movie is GONE. This is way, way worse than a one-night stand. And she was kind of treating Steve like crap before he cheated on her too. Have we all forgotten “Let’s just get it over with”?

I haven't! Miranda had a lot of wonderful qualities, but even as someone who's not sex-crazed like Samantha, I'd be hurt if my partner never wanted to be intimate with me and said "let's just get it over with" when we finally did. She made a bunch of time for her girlfriends, she could have made more for Steve. 

• Applause 5