Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

Empress1
  • Start Topic

Texas!

I was very curious to see Terry's real hair. I assumed she had extensions since JVN asked her if she was wearing a wig and she said no. She looked gorgeous with her natural hair (all that was hers? Why was she hiding it? Didn't she tell JVN there wasn't enough to style?) when they came back. It was beautiful that her daughter said the Fab 5 changed their relationship for the better.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 8

I have no idea why Terri was hiding her hair! I assumed she had alopecia or some terrible scalp problem, but her hair was simply fine and thin. She looked SO much better a year later. Seemed like she had calmed down and become a better listener too.

The only other episode I've watched so far is episode 3, the one featuring Cowboy Jon Snow. That guy must really want his ex-girlfriend back, because he seemed pretty uncomfortable with the whole thing. The etiquette lessons were a success but I don't think he'll be wearing any of those clothes Tan chose for him.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

The only other episode I've watched so far is episode 3, the one featuring Cowboy Jon Snow. That guy must really want his ex-girlfriend back, because he seemed pretty uncomfortable with the whole thing. The etiquette lessons were a success but I don't think he'll be wearing any of those clothes Tan chose for him.

When they washed his hair and the water was running brown, I gagged. Come on, dude. Do better. Doesn't that itch?!

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Empress1 said:

When they washed his hair and the water was running brown, I gagged. Come on, dude. Do better. Doesn't that itch?!

Soooo disgusting. He thinks he’s going to attract a woman he can marry that way? He was also so not comfortable with the guys. 

Also WHAT was that random shot of Antoni shirtless washing his dog?  Not that I’m complaining but I actually said out loud “what is happening right now?”

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, MissL said:

Also WHAT was that random shot of Antoni shirtless washing his dog?  Not that I’m complaining but I actually said out loud “what is happening right now?”

So much of the episode had him in a sleeveless shirt and no lower pants-leg pants!

So many great episodes. Terri said her hair started going grey early and felt it was easier to wear a wig. She was so lovely!

Bobby is so not going to keep what they did for him and I hope that his ex figures out that she needs more. I love the shipping container house and front deck. If he owns his own business, there's more to his job then he needs other clothes to meet with investors and other people about the business - not just running around on the farm and on a horse. I would like to see an update - I could be wrong.

The kids with the Prom were so adorable. And amazing!! 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Kristi800 said:

Bobby is so not going to keep what they did for him and I hope that his ex figures out that she needs more. I love the shipping container house and front deck. If he owns his own business, there's more to his job then he needs other clothes to meet with investors and other people about the business - not just running around on the farm and on a horse. I would like to see an update - I could be wrong.

While I liked everything they did for him, with some of these I do wonder if the nominator and nominee come up with a cute story to get picked. 

In general this season's timing is confusing me. The first episode skips a year due to Covid, but when are the others? There seems to be no evidence of the pandemic in the other episodes. I assumed the high school seniors were class of 2021 who'd been in remote school for over a year, but then I thought I heard them say Prom Queen 2020 at the prom itself, but that wouldn't make sense.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

While I liked everything they did for him, with some of these I do wonder if the nominator and nominee come up with a cute story to get picked. 

In general this season's timing is confusing me. The first episode skips a year due to Covid, but when are the others? There seems to be no evidence of the pandemic in the other episodes. I assumed the high school seniors were class of 2021 who'd been in remote school for over a year, but then I thought I heard them say Prom Queen 2020 at the prom itself, but that wouldn't make sense.

I saw that about the Prom Queen 2020 as well and wondered if they announced it for 2020 since they didn't have a prom. I was confused that there were so many people, but only 7(?) kids in the class? They said something about parents. No one had masks on that I could tell and even in TX, I would think they would with so many people. 

I messed up about Terri; I was thinking about Jereka and her wig. I was annoyed at Terri with her treatment of her daughter. Yes, she was judging you because you wore hoochie clothes and wouldn't listen to her!! I didn't like the multi-color sequins dress or the green tile in the bathroom, but that's just not my taste, but the other outfit she tried on was OK. I wonder if anyone mentioned that maybe she should get some Ritalin to help with the ADHD. I'm interested in the cap thing Jonathan gave her. I've seen the ads - my hair is OK, but I'm curious.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Kristi800 said:

I saw that about the Prom Queen 2020 as well and wondered if they announced it for 2020 since they didn't have a prom. I was confused that there were so many people, but only 7(?) kids in the class? They said something about parents. No one had masks on that I could tell and even in TX, I would think they would with so many people. 

I think the 7 were just the prom committee, right? Amid a much larger class. And yes, it was odd to me that the regulations were high-alert enough to have school be entirely remote and the prom be outdoors, but the students and staff who did go to the school building itself were unmasked and hugging everyone a lot. I had this same question with another show and someone pointed out it could've been in that window where people started getting vaxxed but Delta hadn't happened yet (which tracks with a late-spring 2021 prom season), but those kids wouldn't have been vaxxed so I'm still not quite sure how it lines up. I know for some reality shows everyone involved was basically in a "pod" (like Survivor or something), so it tracks there, and some are shot in places that just plain didn't have ordinances past those early weeks, but this one doesn't quite seem to fit with any of those possibilities. (The producers probably just want me to be thinking it's TV magic and not worry about it. Oops!)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, gesundheit said:

I saw the episode with the Baker (Sarah) and Jereka and for one of them when the Fab 5 did their greetings Tan said "I'm fully vaccinated" before hugging somebody.  LOL.  

The one with Sarah the Baker fully talks about the pandemic and the racism that she faced being the Asian owner of a restaurant.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I saw the episode with the Baker (Sarah) and Jereka and for one of them when the Fab 5 did their greetings Tan said "I'm fully vaccinated" before hugging somebody.  LOL.  

The one with Sarah the Baker fully talks about the pandemic and the racism that she faced being the Asian owner of a restaurant.

I hadn't seen Jereka's episode until a few minutes ago and I still have the same questions -- people in a literal Covid-related health facility and zero precautions?? Just seems peculiar.

Haven't seen the baker yet.

• Useful 1

I love these guys and would love to have them as my friends but I'm getting a lot tired of all the "Oh My Gaaaawwwwd" by everyone and the "a" that several of the guys (esp. Jonathan) add to the end of almost every word.  To me both of these things sound so juvenile.  These are 5 beautiful grown ass men.  I want them to speak like the grown men they are.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, ali59 said:

I love these guys and would love to have them as my friends but I'm getting a lot tired of all the "Oh My Gaaaawwwwd" by everyone and the "a" that several of the guys (esp. Jonathan) add to the end of almost every word.  To me both of these things sound so juvenile.  These are 5 beautiful grown ass men.  I want them to speak like the grown men they are.

I like that they're having fun. Not many jobs let you do that! Jonathan is a bit OTT (OK, a lot), but he's the Carson of the show! It would be so much fun to see these guys meet up with the original F5 Squad. Antoni should at least get to go on Chopped with Ted. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Abra said:

It reminded me of those Reddit threads where women would ask how they could get their boyfriends to wipe and wash the crack of their ass after pooping because they weren't doing it now because they thought it was "gay".  Lord have mercy.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY? I wish a motherfucker would. Listen: I would like to date more in 2022 and maybe even pair off (although this Omicron variant has me back in the house, and I wasn't going out that much before) but the SECOND I see a skid mark or hear "wiping your ass is gay (!)" I am punting that dude for the field goal. My GOD.

I was grossed out by the rancher's pit stains but at least I understand that - he does hard labor in Texas, he's going to be sweaty. But I can't imagine being that gross and just ... putting on clean clothes? Or just wearing the same funky-ass clothes for days at a time? His ex was beautiful - he must be very charming if he landed her all unwashed and shit. Imagine running your fingers through that hair (and he had nice hair!) and seeing dirt under your nails. Or even getting close to/naked with him, given how he must have smelled.

2 hours ago, Abra said:

I was also very pleased that Antoni finally after 6 seasons acknowledged that there is a (CORRECT) segment of the population who understands how disgusting cilantro is.

I love cilantro, and I didn't realize until I heard a common "I think it tastes like soap" thread from a number of people that that "tastes like soap" thing is genetic.

2 hours ago, Abra said:

It was sweet to see how excited these kids got at all the goodies and they had some kind of defining experience to close out their senior year.

I loved seeing them play dress-up with the clothes and accessories and at the salon. I did wish the Black girl did something cool with her hair in its natural state, like maybe a fun updo or braided style, but on the other hand I was very curious to see how much length she had - she has a TON of hair, it's beautiful.

1 hour ago, gesundheit said:

I hadn't seen Jereka's episode until a few minutes ago and I still have the same questions -- people in a literal Covid-related health facility and zero precautions?? Just seems peculiar.

Haven't seen the baker yet.

I haven't seen the baker yet either but I have wondered about masking. I guess they are doing some kind of testing protocol on the show for filming purposes? I would bet that if you panned around to production, they were masked.

Was Jerrika's husband Deaf or hard of hearing? I noticed his speech was kind of slurred. She looked great in the orange jumpsuit, and her natural hair wasn't in bad shape - a little thinning at the temples but as Jonathan said, that could have been from the wig rubbing against those spots. She reminded me of Uzo Aduba. Their little boy was adorable - he seemed to really take to Bobby, who was holding him a lot.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes, that's true, they don't show any mask wearing at all. 

I’ve been thinking the same thing but In the episode with the crawfish restaurant you can see one of the people helping Bobby paint was wearing a mask but it was a definite blink and you’ll miss it moment.

• Useful 4

Three down, time for a break.

I’m reminding myself there’s a bar for appearing on this show.

So far, Angel was the only person that liked themselves. Josh has me head-scratching and I just showered. How gross was he? Between this man-child’s pathetic, self-loathing lifestyle and his hypocrisy of exhibiting politeness while crapping on people, specifically Kayla, he may be my least favorite candidate ever. Charming, Kayla? I didn’t see a book in his place. He stinks, he’s filthy, perhaps has some PTSD, is there a family anywhere that talks to him? Something doesn’t add up.

• Love 5

I have finished the whole season, and I am scratching my head at some of Tan’s style choices overall. In past seasons, despite that overly used half tuck, his choices have worked for the person’s body type and style, or he has created a style that suited them if they had none. This season, with few exceptions, they were awful.

• Love 4
On 1/2/2022 at 6:49 PM, Empress1 said:

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY? I wish a motherfucker would. Listen: I would like to date more in 2022 and maybe even pair off (although this Omicron variant has me back in the house, and I wasn't going out that much before) but the SECOND I see a skid mark or hear "wiping your ass is gay (!)" I am punting that dude for the field goal. My GOD.

Same. And I went looking for a link to post here as proof and I was, I kid you not, overwhelmed by multiple different stories of women and their deeply, disgustingly unwashed and unhygienic men. I gagged and gave up. Hopefully the memories will fade by the time Omegatron dies down and it's a bit safer to try dating again.

Anyway, back on topic, I've made it through four more episodes and my recollections are a bit jumbled.

Todd - I love how welcoming and open he was to the Fab 5 and the changes they wanted to help him make. It was also nice to see that he and especially his daughter didn't feel like the restaurant was a burden (so to speak) and that they loved working there and wanted to continue the legacy. I also really want some gumbo now.

Dr. Jereka - she impressed the crap out of me. Major props for her accomplishments, and I loved when she saw her very first student in that slideshow and talked about how she kept going because of her (the same thing her student said about her). I hope she allows time for herself to breathe and feels more comfortable delegating.

Jamie - oh man, when she started crying as soon as the F5 got out of the car I felt that. I have also been at the point where I'm so overwhelmed and am barely holding myself together and yet it's hard to tell until one teeny little bit of possible empathy gets turned my way and I crack. I hope the attention from the show gets them more money and resources and that Jamie remembers to take care of her damn self as a priority instead of thinking that more resources means more work for her to do. I also wish Bobby had been able to get a bunch of the house animals their own space because I don't think any of them ended up in that spiffy new barn and that was way too many in one house, I don't care if you're a rescue.

Chris - that was some deep shit he talked about with Karamo, I was a little surprised at his openness. It was really heartwarming to see him truly be touched and delighted by all the transformations he went through, like actually thinking he looked good after his sessions with Tan and Jonathan (and he looked great!). I really hope his organization gets a lot more attention and resources too.

Overall so far I feel like we just haven't been able to see the applications of what little poor Antoni gets to teach everyone about cooking, and Karamo-wise I feel like he's been having really effective conversations with them and helping them gain insight into what drives them. No more toppling milk crates or whatever that was in this season (so far!).

• Love 6

I'm three eps in. The only mixed feelings I have is for the dirty rancher. He just seemed unwilling to really dive into the experience or step outside his comfort zone. I also might have had too high of hopes for him, thinking back to a cowboy-style straight on the original QE who really worked with the Fab OGs. 

Generally, I'm liking the new season, though. Austin in a nice location for them to base some adventures. 

• Love 4
On 1/1/2022 at 11:54 AM, Empress1 said:

And then, after they washed his hair, it seemed like he put the same hat back on his head. Whatever filth was in his hair originally was also in that hat...which is now sitting on clean hair. Ick! Also, his apology didn't seem sincere. At the very least, I hope that his ex-girlfriend believed it to be.

The episode with Angel was one of the best ones that they have done in any season. She was lovely. I enjoyed most of the other episodes as well. There were a few remarkable people  - Jamie, Jereka, Chris - doing amazing work, especially during a pandemic.

Sarah's episode was entertaining but, by the end of it, I got the impression that she didn't care for either Bobby's renovations or Tan's style choices.

On 1/1/2022 at 9:43 PM, MissL said:

Other than that particular shot (not complaining either), I felt that Antoni contributed less to some of these episodes than he has in past seasons. 

Overall, it was a good season. The "no masks" on-air was curious. Have to believe that everyone was tested regularly (daily?) and that the crew was always wearing masks. 

• Love 1

I saw the first episode with Terri and I was stunned that nothing was done about makeup. That eyeliner was tragic. Also, nothing about skincare? Her body is excellent but jer sad (RIP) had far better skin than she does.

She seemed a lot chiller a year im, which was a relief.

I feel sorry for the grandson who feels responsible for his mom and grandma.

• Love 2
On 1/3/2022 at 12:49 AM, Empress1 said:

I was grossed out by the rancher's pit stains but at least I understand that - he does hard labor in Texas, he's going to be sweaty. But I can't imagine being that gross and just ... putting on clean clothes? Or just wearing the same funky-ass clothes for days at a time? His ex was beautiful - he must be very charming if he landed her all unwashed and shit. Imagine running your fingers through that hair (and he had nice hair!) and seeing dirt under your nails. Or even getting close to/naked with him, given how he must have smelled.

I love cilantro, and I didn't realize until I heard a common "I think it tastes like soap" thread from a number of people that that "tastes like soap" thing is genetic.

I loved seeing them play dress-up with the clothes and accessories and at the salon. I did wish the Black girl did something cool with her hair in its natural state, like maybe a fun updo or braided style, but on the other hand I was very curious to see how much length she had - she has a TON of hair, it's beautiful.

I haven't seen the baker yet either but I have wondered about masking. I guess they are doing some kind of testing protocol on the show for filming purposes? I would bet that if you panned around to production, they were masked.

Was Jerrika's husband Deaf or hard of hearing? I noticed his speech was kind of slurred. She looked great in the orange jumpsuit, and her natural hair wasn't in bad shape - a little thinning at the temples but as Jonathan said, that could have been from the wig rubbing against those spots. She reminded me of Uzo Aduba. Their little boy was adorable - he seemed to really take to Bobby, who was holding him a lot.

The husband had a hearing aid, so hard of hearing.

4 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I think he's trying way too hard to be an icon - a "real cowboy." I wonder if he tapped into some of the extremist politics that have emerged, some of which lean hard into individualistic, antisocial behavior and believe that the old days were better. I used to watch Duck Dynasty (because Louisiana), and the patriarch and few of his sons are big on infrequent bathing (at least, that's what their wives claim).

I dated a few cowboys when I lived out West decades ago. I briefly saw their bunkhouses and them sweaty, dirty, and hard at work. But all of them cleaned up nicely at the end of each day. They were fabulous two-steppers.

Anyway, this is my first time watching QE since the original Fab 5 appeared on the scene. Jonathan would wear me out - I feel that way about all "colorful" people - but he is sweet. His fashion aesthetic is odd - kind of discount Mrs. Roper. After seeing him on another show, Tan annoys me. But he has glorious hair.

I appreciate the Austin locations instead of the ubiquitous NYC or LA.

And who actually owns the dog (so I know that it has a forever home)?

Antoni said in a closing segment that he came out of 2020 with a new dog. Supposedly it's his then. Or a production member took it when they left Austin. I think that's what happened with a dog the show featured in an earlier season.

• Love 1

Besides craving gumbo, Todd’s episode had another effect—teared me right up. That was a drastic change on almost every level. He must have been so ready to receive. 

Heh, poor Todd, though, when he first saw that haircut, trying hard to keep it positive. I could hear his brain screaming, it’ll grow! I think he said a quick something about having it a bit longer. 😂

• Love 6
On 1/2/2022 at 6:34 PM, ali59 said:

I love these guys and would love to have them as my friends but I'm getting a lot tired of all the "Oh My Gaaaawwwwd" by everyone and the "a" that several of the guys (esp. Jonathan) add to the end of almost every word.

I would love to hang out with all but Jonathan. He just seems exhausting. He has a good spirit and all but he is just so on all the time and has that "trying too hard" vibe that I just can't take. 

As to the Covid/mask questions. I have a cousin in Texas and a co-worker whose daughter lives there and they have all mentioned that Texas wasn't really all that into the social distancing or masking stuff. I think in true frontier spirit they determined that if they ignored Covid it wasn't really happening. Not all Texans mind you, but I'm not at all surprised to not see masks or distancing everywhere, and I'm going to assume that when these folks agreed to be on the show there was testing and maybe even quarantining before hand, so they all thought they were safe to hug and be together. For the prom, I'd just say teens. Teens tend to think they are invincible and wouldn't want to all be in masks for their prom. 

This show always makes me cry. My favorite transformation so far (I'm just starting ep 7) was Cajun Santa (bad with names, Todd?). His makeover took like 20 years off him! I also love how ready for it he was. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Kamaro elevated his role this season, his contributions seemed more important, integral to many of the makeovers than some of his shenanigans in his past.

Tan had his usual impact, although not all of them were striking—thinking of the baker, who looked good after but wasn’t a train wreck before. Didn’t love the wardrobe for the rescue woman, either, but I think Tans good with people, so points for that.

Bobby did good work as usual. I, too, wish rescue woman’s house got more help.

So that leaves Antoni. Does his role make the same impact as the others? No, but is that on Antoni or on the role food plays in these lives? What epiphany would he have for the baker? Does anyone think the cowboy becomes a foodie? Maybe if these helpees had their lives together they could appear on Antoni’s show and change their meal world, but that’s not happening here. Also, not sure he’d be up to that. I like him, I love watching cooking, seek new ideas, but understandably, he’s pretty basic.

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 1

Todd's episode hit me hard, and I wasn't expecting that.

I'm going to say something, and I hope someone else sees this too. There have been at least two episodes of Antoni sitting by himself, wearing a brightly colored striped shirt, and there's a colorful background behind him and he looks like he's about to start giving me some Blue's Clues.

• LOL 4
On 1/9/2022 at 11:53 PM, buttersister said:

Kamaro elevated his role this season, his contributions seemed more important, integral to many of the makeovers than some of his shenanigans in his past.

Tan had his usual impact, although not all of them were striking—thinking of the baker, who looked good after but wasn’t a train wreck before. Didn’t love the wardrobe for the rescue woman, either, but I think Tans good with people, so points for that.

So that leaves Antoni. Does his role make the same impact as the others? No, but is that on Antoni or on the role food plays in these lives? What epiphany would he have for the baker? Does anyone think the cowboy becomes a foodie? Maybe if these helpees had their lives together they could appear on Antoni’s show and change their meal world, but that’s not happening here. Also, not sure he’d be up to that. I like him, I love watching cooking, seek new ideas, but understandably, he’s pretty basic.

I've been wondering for awhile what Antoni contributes to the show. I've watched 3 of the new season's eps, and he's not really cooking anything or showing the candidate how to cook something they can easily incorporate into their daily routine. For Terri, he just stood there while she made the cake recipe she'd already made a million times. For the cowboy, he showed him how to make...carrots? And for the prom, he clearly didn't know what flautas were, and made taquitos instead. But didn't actually make them for the prom. 

Meanwhile, Bobby is basically building people a whole new house. I hope he gets paid more.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Steph Sometimes said:

Todd's episode hit me hard, and I wasn't expecting that.

I'm going to say something, and I hope someone else sees this too. There have been at least two episodes of Antoni sitting by himself, wearing a brightly colored striped shirt, and there's a colorful background behind him and he looks like he's about to start giving me some Blue's Clues.

Todd is my favorite from the episodes I've watched so far. He was just really open and genuinely sweet.

I also loved how the focus was on his non-romantic relationships. There was no what-are-you-waiting-for-it's-been-10-years, but rather go-and-enjoy-the-things-you-used-to -enjoy.

• Love 5

I was blown away by Chris the homeless activist’s episode. What a good man, to channel his trauma into helping others. I felt like he connected with the Fab 5 because he could feel their deep respect for what he does. And Bobby sounded so authentic when he and Chris talked about how they themselves experienced homelessness. I hope Chris receives back all the good he puts into the world a hundred fold. 
just a beautiful episode. And he looked so good after his makeover! 

• Love 8

Just finished the new season. Kept a Google Doc to jot down reactions as I was watching, so I wouldn't have to think back and remember it all (season threads for Netflix shows are rough.)

Terri - Some cute moments here, especially Antoni wondering if he had a crush on Terri and Jonathan’s reaction to her declaration that she would “turn gay” for him. I really felt for her daughter and the difficulties she’s had in their relationship, but it seems like the talk Karamo facilitated between them really did start something–the code-word idea was nice, and it made me smile that they chose “Karamo” for their word. I appreciated how Tan eventually won her over on the style stuff - that “highlight one asset at a time” advice really made a difference - and good on Jonathan for respecting that she just wasn’t ready to address her real hair yet. Even though it was a result of their normal filming schedule getting disrupted by the pandemic, checking back in with Terri and her family a year later was an interesting way to go.

Angel - Loved Angel! Her smile and her laugh were gorgeous. I liked some of the different style techniques Tan used to create the silhouette she wanted, like the pants that made her hips look curvier, and how he helped her see how she could feel strong and sexy at the same time. Their discussion about femininity and gender presentation was nice too. It’s a good thing Angel’s dad was receptive to talking to her. When Karamo reached out, it was clear that he regretted how he’d reacted, that he still loved his child but felt confused/unsure, and that he wanted to stay in her life but didn’t know how to start.

Josh - Okay, yes, Josh’s massive “no homo” discomfort was a major issue, but I love that the Fab Five 1) didn’t edit themselves at all around him, 2) pushed back when he was out of line, and 3) did seem to mostly win him over by the end. I loved that Bobby took one look at that trailer and was like, “Nope!”, but that he then took a DIFFERENT shipping container and turned it into an actual home. It looked fantastic, especially with how he used the outdoor space as well. (I also loved that all of them were mystified at the idea that Josh had taken Kayla to the old trailer when they were dating.) It was interesting to see just how RESISTANT he was to anything Tan tried to do with him, that driving fear of seeming anything less than than manliest of straight manly men, but I really like what Tan told him about following his style advice when he wanted to impress the girls rather than the guys. Also, Jonathan making Josh skincare flashcards was super cute. (No judgment, though–I would totally need those too.)

Prom - Given the issues with the pandemic (limited venue options, no chance to fundraise, only got the go-ahead to HAVE prom a week before the date,) this was a project that made sense for the show to get involved in. I thought the Fab Five did a nice job balancing having this whole group of kids to work with. During their time with Jonathan, I liked that, even though he was only doing one girl’s hair, he checked in with all of them and consulted with all their stylists. The girls screaming in excitement over everything was really sweet, and all the speeches by the time capsule were lovely. Showing the graduation pictures at the end was a nice final touch.

Todd - Todd seemed like a genuinely sweet guy. His time with Karamo, talking about his wife, his grief, and being able to live again, was really beautiful. He also seemed pretty open to the process in general, even as he was scared about what it would mean to his wife’s memory to “move on,” and I loved his thank-yous to the Fab Five at the end. I got a kick out of the exchange of new lingo–Antoni’s reaction to learning about “church it up” and “slap your grandma,” and the Fab Five teaching Todd about zaddies, lol. I laughed at Tan’s reaction to the live crawfish too.

Jereka - It seems a lot of the female heroes fall into that same “spend so much time taking care of everybody else that they don’t take care of themselves” camp, and a doctor during the pandemic, especially one focused on helping underserved communities, definitely qualifies. It was nice to see the Fab Five pampering and celebrating her. The video Karamo put together was great, and I loved the little moment where Tan made her call the clinic to show that they could handle things on their own while she was taking care of herself. I enjoyed her cooking with Antoni and his focus on fast, relatively-easy meals, but I do wish he’d involved her husband more. I don’t think they ever said what the husband does, but there was no indication that he was nearly as busy as her, and even 20-30 minutes a night cooking is a lot. I know it can feel like a lot for me, and I’m not a doctor during a pandemic!

Jamie - Speaking of a woman who spends all her time caring for others! I felt for Jamie when she said that every moment she spends on herself is a moment she could’ve spent on someone else, and it was telling that her first reaction to the Fab Five showing up was to burst into tears. I liked that, while the Fab Five were encouraging her to take time for herself, they also knew she was still going to be plenty busy going forward–like, Jonathan suggested going out and doing something once a month, Antoni was hoping she’d take a moment to cook for herself every few months, and Tan would be happy if she just wore her sparkly dress while she sat working on her laptop. The barn looked beautiful, and given the outreach aspect of working with kids with disabilities, the more human-friendly seating area in the middle made sense, although it seems like the barn must only hold a fraction of her animals.

Chris - Another person who spends all his time giving to others. Bobby has been doing a lot of non-home spaces this season, and here, he was doing a little of everything: helping with the shelters, redesigning the main room at the center, and remodeling the house. I liked the notion that making the space look SO completely different was very intentional, to help Chris disentangle his feelings about the house with his mom’s death. For someone who clearly had ZERO clue what to expect, Chris was really receptive and open to the process–when he was seeing the new house, I loved the moment where he looked at Karamo and just said, “I deserve this, don’t I?”, and the song he wrote for the Fab Five was so sweet. I liked his talk with Karamo over all the guilt/shame he was carrying around (his past substance abuse, his mom’s death, his weight.) I knew Tan would help him feel better about his size, I loved him excitedly celebrating with Antoni when he saw the new juicer/blender, and his reaction to his new hairstyle was lovely. I also liked the conversation Jonathan had with him about advocacy and burnout–because of Jonathan’s demeanor, I think it’s easy for people to have a ditzy/frivolous impression of him, but he’s a smart and insightful person.

Sarah - Man, launching a business (especially an Asian American-run eatery) right at the start of the pandemic? It’s a testament to Sarah’s drive, and her product, that she’s been weathering through that. Sometimes Karamo’s little outings feel kind of forced/awkward, but letting her meet and network with an Asian American restauranteur in Austin was a great thing for her. You could tell she really needed someone to talk to, and he had good advice for helping her plug into the local restaurant community better. I thought the remodel looked really good, maintaining the vibe and personality of the original while looking more polished and “stepped up.” Antoni having a spiritual awakening over the macarons made me smile, and I’m always here for Tan encouraging someone to love their body. Those Fab Five macarons at the end were cute.

Reggie - Interesting contrast with Sarah. While she was someone who was just getting started and had to fight to stay afloat through 2020, Reggie was just hitting his stride and then everything stopped, leaving him discouraged and uncertain. Both are super 2020-relatable. I thought the photo shoot was really great, especially when they had him look at the pictures the photographer took of him while he was rapping. I also liked the conversation with Karamo about the messages parents send to their kids about their dreams based on how they treat their own. Antoni and Bobby were really cracking me up in the kitchen, between the “wiener juice” and the saw in the cabinet. The Lego Fab Five over the end credits was a lot of fun!

• Love 11

I haven't seen the last three yet. I think Jereka and Jamie have probably been my two favorites of the season thus far. Was Jereka's husband hearing impaired? She looked so much better without the wig. I hope she continues to keep up appearances, so to speak, her transformation was like night and day. As for Jamie, I have a hard time believing they built that huge barn in just a week. 

I didn't think the rancher dude was that bad but I tend to agree, he will just go back to his slovenly ways and probably trash that beautiful house Bobby built for him.

Todd's story was nice but I thought he actually looked better with the shortened beard, it gave his face a nice angle, and that seemed to be what Jonathan was encouraging although Todd insisted on shaving it all off. But it wasn't a clean shave so he just wound up with gray stubble. 

Jonathan has put on quite a bit of weight. I didn't notice until Jamie's episode because he'd been wearing nothing but loose fitting dresses up until then. 

• Love 1
On 1/3/2022 at 6:55 AM, Enigma X said:

I have finished the whole season, and I am scratching my head at some of Tan’s style choices overall. In past seasons, despite that overly used half tuck, his choices have worked for the person’s body type and style, or he has created a style that suited them if they had none. This season, with few exceptions, they were awful.

It's interesting. I find a lot of Tan's ADVICE really helpful - the importance of the right fit, using layers/prints to create specific effects, etc. - but I'm not generally super wowed by a lot of the outfits he puts people in. Maybe his expertise is best used when people apply his tips/guidance to then pick out the clothes they want. But his best quality, for me, is the way that he compliments people and shows them that they can look stylish/sexy at any size. During his initial closet raid, he's always got some good snark on people's fashion choices, but he's incredibly sensitive to body-image issues and building people up.

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I haven't seen the last three yet. I think Jereka and Jamie have probably been my two favorites of the season thus far. Was Jereka's husband hearing impaired? She looked so much better without the wig. I hope she continues to keep up appearances, so to speak, her transformation was like night and day. As for Jamie, I have a hard time believing they built that huge barn in just a week.

Yep. He had a Deaf/hard-of-hearing accent and used a hearing aid.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, angora said:

But his best quality, for me, is the way that he compliments people and shows them that they can look stylish/sexy at any size. During his initial closet raid, he's always got some good snark on people's fashion choices, but he's incredibly sensitive to body-image issues and building people up.

It is interesting because I usually don't really like what he ends up putting people in but I agree that he is so complimentary  and does give great advice about how to dress to highlight their best features. I almost feel like he knows his stuff but has bad taste. lol 

I really liked that Jonathan, despite wanting to leave beard on the one guy (sorry, I tend to forget names quickly), he actually respected the guys wishes and left only a minimal stubble. I actually thought it really suited him so I'm glad they went that way. I just like that these guys aren't "we know best, so shut up and do what we say" as much as some other makeover shows I've watched. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, angora said:

I find a lot of Tan's ADVICE really helpful - the importance of the right fit, using layers/prints to create specific effects, etc. - but I'm not generally super wowed by a lot of the outfits he puts people in....But his best quality, for me, is the way that he compliments people and shows them that they can look stylish/sexy at any size. 

It seems to me, though, that Tan overwhelmingly uses "sexy" as his yardstick adjective. It's always, "Don't you feel sexy in that?!" I guess that's the aim of many people when they dress, but there are some people -- and there are some clothes, some occasions -- with other objectives. It wouldn't hurt for Tan to try, "Doesn't this outfit make you feel powerful?" or "Doesn't this dress make you feel professional?"  

• Love 5
On 1/9/2022 at 11:53 PM, buttersister said:

They should have gotten the crew from Animal Cribs on for that since there were so many animals inside as well as out, but the barn was great! 

I think Tan mainly shows people options to what they have and pulling together a look rather than random clothing that's strewn into a closet. I love seeing Reggie getting into his Blacklight outfit, which gets him out of the old jacket with patches on the elbows!

• Love 1

I've seen Chris and Sara now. Both amazing physical transformations. It almost makes me think they dress some of these people up to look even worse than they really do just so we get a huge makeover reveal. Sarah went from looking like a frumpy 50-year old woman to a hot looking 30-year old. And I wonder if Chris's wife is worried maybe now he's a little too good looking and women are going to start hitting on him.

They never said if Chris met his target at the fund raiser. Hope that's not a bad sign. 

Sarah is one of those subjects I wish they'd go back and revisit a year later to see how their business is doing and whether or not the help they got made a big difference. 

• Love 3
On 1/17/2022 at 10:45 PM, iMonrey said:

I've seen Chris and Sara now. Both amazing physical transformations. It almost makes me think they dress some of these people up to look even worse than they really do just so we get a huge makeover reveal. Sarah went from looking like a frumpy 50-year old woman to a hot looking 30-year old. And I wonder if Chris's wife is worried maybe now he's a little too good looking and women are going to start hitting on him.

With some of these makeover shows, I often wonder if the spouse/so wishes they could get a makeover as well!

How old was Sara? With all that gray in her hair, I though she was at least in her late 40s.

• Love 1
On 1/16/2022 at 6:31 PM, Mabinogia said:

he knows his stuff but has bad taste

I am shocked at how horrible some of his choices have been. I wonder if he can't overcome his distaste for shopping in small-town stores, with their Middle America inventory, as he clearly loves and prefers high-end fashion.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 4

Commenting on the Josh episode.  I liked him.  If I were a rancher and lived in a trailer over the feed barn I might not shower either.  I liked that he was straight forward with Tan about the clothes Tan wanted him to wear.  I thought the button-down shirts that Tan gave him looked too tight across the chest and underarms, and maybe too scratchy.   Clearly, Tan did not like Josh — as evidenced when Tan told Josh that he/his look (Tan’s) was “chic as f…”

One thing that I miss about the OG QE is that sometimes they would snark on their makeoverees during the video.  This crew missed an opportunity this episode when Josh wore that kitchen towel on his shoulder for practically the entire evening.

Another thing that stood out to me is that the ex, Kayla (?) was driven to the ranch.  She did not drive herself.  I wonder if Production gave her a ride so that she could drink (and not have to drive home under the influence of alcohol.) But then is Production waiting around to give her a ride back home?  But what if she and Josh rekindled those old flames and she wanted to spend more hours?

I don't know why, but for some reason i was not a great fan of this season.  With Sara the baker, she still seemed really sad when they were done, and we saw her back in her beret, sigh.  For me the best transformation was the doctor, I loved that she could find elegant, classy and comfortable clothes to go with her lovely natural hair.  For the animal rescue lady, I didn't understand all the sequined outfits.  

Hands down favorite were the prom kids,  they were just so open and engaging.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, jabRI said:

I don't know why, but for some reason i was not a great fan of this season. 

For me -- and I fully accept that it's just me -- the season has really, really propagated the notion of "self-care" and taken it to its commercialized, neoliberal extreme. The rebooted show (in contrast with the original incarnation) has from the start replaced the "simple" idea of makeovers with the larger rhetoric of "self-care," but this season has really been relentless in that regard (additionally arguing for its necessity Because Pandemic). There's nothing necessarily wrong with "self-care," but I'm certainly not the the only one uneasy with how much the notion does not get interrogated, and in the context of the show (of course, because it's a TV show) becomes just a kind of aspirational living (beautiful house, beautiful hair, beautiful clothes...so, beautiful self).

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Corgi-ears said:

There's nothing necessarily wrong with "self-care," but I'm certainly not the the only one uneasy with how much the notion does not get interrogated, and in the context of the show (of course, because it's a TV show) becomes just a kind of aspirational living (beautiful house, beautiful hair, beautiful clothes...so, beautiful self).

I felt the same, not a lot of practical solutions for, example the animal rescue lady who had a crying section of her closet.  OK, she got a barn, but they didn't have any real help for her or the overworked doctor, or the baker.  They are going to keep working 100+ hours

• Love 2
On 1/25/2022 at 7:00 AM, jabRI said:

I felt the same, not a lot of practical solutions for, example the animal rescue lady who had a crying section of her closet.  OK, she got a barn, but they didn't have any real help for her or the overworked doctor, or the baker.  They are going to keep working 100+ hours

I think appearing on the show would lead to a lot of resources for people like the woman that rescued the animals, from the exposure (the show itself and social media), the funds formerly saved for the barn could go toward something else.

But I do agree with your point as a whole. I think a better thing to have done would have been to hook her up with a veterinary school so that students (vet and vet tech students) could get practical hours and she could get the labor needed to keep the rescue running. 

On 1/24/2022 at 3:15 PM, Just Carol said:

Another thing that stood out to me is that the ex, Kayla (?) was driven to the ranch.  She did not drive herself.  I wonder if Production gave her a ride so that she could drink (and not have to drive home under the influence of alcohol.) But then is Production waiting around to give her a ride back home?  But what if she and Josh rekindled those old flames and she wanted to spend more hours?

I assume Kayla planned to stay the night. She could always uber/lyft home (I assume that is available in their area but maybe not).

On 1/12/2022 at 6:36 PM, angora said:

Reggie - Interesting contrast with Sarah. While she was someone who was just getting started and had to fight to stay afloat through 2020, Reggie was just hitting his stride and then everything stopped, leaving him discouraged and uncertain. Both are super 2020-relatable

SO relatable. 

I liked this season, it really did give me the "warm fuzzies", but I would like to do a "recap special" one of these days.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I couldn't watch the last one. You could kill me with rap, literally.

I'm hearing you.  But I freely admit to being older that dirt, so that's why I prefer my music to come with singing and instruments and some kind of melody! Having said that, the rapper was not as bad as others I've heard and he was a nice guy (and OK, yeah, kinda hot - I'm old, not blind!)

• LOL 5
On 1/16/2022 at 12:40 PM, iMonrey said:

Jonathan has put on quite a bit of weight. I didn't notice until Jamie's episode because he'd been wearing nothing but loose fitting dresses up until then. 

My partner and I both noticed that Jonathan has been more OTT this season and he thinks that he is overcompensating for his internal struggle. I could be wrong, but I do feel a lot of what he presents is surface (more so than usual) and he comes across as a little sad behind the eyes. JMHO and I could totally be off-base.

This season was weird with the pandemic so I cut it some slack. I liked the focus on helping those who are doing big things but I also hope they come back to the "normal" people too as those stories can be just as compelling.

• Love 2

I'm 3 episodes in, and the rancher dude is making me gag. I don't know how he gets laid, because if he stinks with clothes on, there's no way he doesn't smell a million times worse when he drops those drawers. I also guarantee that his new house looked like a nasty ass mess less than a month after the show. Hygiene is clearly not any sort of priority for him.

• LOL 1

I finished the last one and just skipped thru the rapping. Nice enough guy, but his son was a real cypher. His face was as expressionless as a statue thru the whole thing.

Again . . . I really want them to start doing some revisits to see how many of their subjects have really kept up their improvements.

• Love 3