Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Man Vs. Scale

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, sara1025 said:

ETA: How does Amy not know what an inch is, then proceeds to ask if it's like a foot?? I don't mind Amy but sometimes I wonder how she got this far in life without knowing even the basics.

That was the point I decided she’s playing up her “ignorance.”

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, snarkish said:

They live in a duplex that looks like it should be condemned by the Board of Health but have $ to get facials and waxing?

Probably paid for by the show.  It seems like a producer-driven event.  "Hey, Tammy won't lose weight and we're running out of plots--let's have them go to a spa."  

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Probably paid for by the show.  It seems like a producer-driven event.  "Hey, Tammy won't lose weight and we're running out of plots--let's have them go to a spa."  

Same with the Phillip harassing her and she had to get the police involved, which was shown in the previews. In all seriousness, what kind of threat could he really be from clear across the country? If it was social media stuff, block and move on. Did he really fly back to Kentucky to cause trouble?

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

In all seriousness, what kind of threat could he really be from clear across the country? If it was social media stuff, block and move on. Did he really fly back to Kentucky to cause trouble?

Last time he visited, he probably stole a bag of cookies from her.

• LOL 18
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Breedom said:

I wish they would show Tammy downing her food, like they do on 600 Lb. I wonder how much of her day is spent eating to sustain that obeseness. Eating is everything to her, her world - yet it's never shown on camera.

Oh no, I definitely do not want to see that.  I think it's pretty obvious that Tammy eats A LOT without doing it on camera.   I've only seen a few episodes of 600 lb life but they all had them showering/bathing on camera as well.   I think it's humiliating and unnecessary to tell the story.  

1 hour ago, snarkish said:

Tammy - "I'm still fighting". Yeah. With Dr. Smith, your siblings, production, the therapist...

Yep.  And I think she is more tired of it than even they are by now.  As hard as it would be they all need to just stop, especially TLC because I think Tammy goes through the motions like Dr. appointments and therapist appointments because it's part of the show.  It's a waste of everyone's time, especially mine since I'm still watching this show.  🙄

I thought it was pretty obvious that the therapist had little if any experience with food addiction but Tammy should not have had to keep the appointment if she didn't want to go but I'm sure it was a condition of the show.  If you are not willing to at least try then don't go. 

• Love 10
On 12/20/2021 at 10:34 AM, Kid said:

Tammy has appeared drugged to me this entire season. This episode explains it. She is on pain medication and, I would bet my life, she is abusing it.

I also wonder if she is vaping pot rather than nicotine.  Which would lead to the munchies.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
On 12/20/2021 at 6:22 PM, sara1025 said:

I can't stand how disrespectful Tammy is to people who have done nothing wrong to her. The therapist was politely asking basic questions and Tammy just stared her down with so much anger and hatred in her eyes as if she killed a small child or something. If I were that therapist I would've just ended the session after the first 5 minutes and told her to find someone else to waste her time with. Why even bother going to therapy if all you're going to do is just sit there being condescending, cranky and just reply with "I don't know". Her reason for going was so she could get approved for the weight loss surgery but did she think she could just go to a therapy session, sit there and not say anything, then magically have the surgery right after? She looked like a spoiled toddler who was put in time out.

ETA: How does Amy not know what an inch is, then proceeds to ask if it's like a foot?? I don't mind Amy but sometimes I wonder how she got this far in life without knowing even the basics.

Yeah Tammy doesn’t get that the therapist is going to make a recommendation to the bariatric surgeon whether she is psychologically ready for the procedure lol.  Of course maybe she doesn’t really want the surgery and it is self sabotage.  Would explain a lot of her other choices as well.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

I wonder why Tammy even bothers making the 3 hour trip to these doctor appointments when it's obvious she knows beforehand that she didn't meet the goal. Going into the appointment in this episode, the look on her face showed she knew she wasn't going to lose much if any weight. Does she think someday he's just going to approve her without her having lost weight first?

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Kid said:

And her speech is slurred.  Eyes hooded

I get your point but Tammy's eyes have always been "hooded". Just tiny little slits. However she has to be given some credit for her Photoshop skills. She knows how to contour her face, soft focus the pic and make her eyes look "dreamy". 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I get your point but Tammy's eyes have always been "hooded". Just tiny little slits. However she has to be given some credit for her Photoshop skills. She knows how to contour her face, soft focus the pic and make her eyes look "dreamy". 

I feel like her eyes definitely seem more droopy in the interviews, reminds me of someone who's drunk and about to pass out

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, GaT said:

I knew they were going to end without us knowing what Chris' weight was.

THAT will probably be the "teaser" that TLC is saving for the season finale because this shit show is going nowhere fast.

• Love 4
On 12/20/2021 at 6:22 PM, sara1025 said:

Yet she knew plateau.

On 12/20/2021 at 7:38 PM, chenoa333 said:

And don't forget about her saying she " just don't feel sexy" with all that loose skin. Did she EVER feel sexy? Was it before the surgery? Before the baby? After the surgery? After the baby? 

Michael doesn’t seem to put any effort into looking sexy for her.  He is the human Homer Simpson, including the too small t-shirt.

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

without knowing even the basics.

Like pronouncing "muscles."  I've never met an adult who pronounces it "mus-kuls."  Even if you can't read well, it seems like you'd hear other people pronouncing it correctly.  It's not an uncommon word.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Yet she knew plateau.

Maybe she's playing up the "dumb" per producers orders?

I just watched an older video of these two sisters from their beginnings on You Tube. Apparently they were originally going to be on that new TLC weight loss show (forgot the name of it) but TLC said they saw something different with these 2 and decided to give them their own show. Bad idea TLC whores.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Michael doesn’t seem to put any effort into looking sexy for her.  He is the human Homer Simpson, including the too small t-shirt.

I keep waiting for Michael to pull his shirt over his head and announce that he is The Great Cornhulio but he’s such a kind and patient man, I feel bad ragging on him.  

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
Just now, RedDelicious said:

I keep waiting for Michael to pull his shirt over his head and announce that he is The Great Cornhulio but he’s such a kind and patient man, I feel bad ragging on him.  

Michael is getting paid by TLC too. If he isn't then he's dumber than I thought. Nice guy though

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Yeah, I don't know if it's funny or sad:

Scoot forward one inch.

I don't know what an inch is.  Is that a foot?

She brags to her friends that Michael is three feet.  

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • LOL 12
6 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

In all seriousness, what kind of threat could he really be from clear across the country?

He convinced the Chinese restaurant to stop delivering to her?

59 minutes ago, sara1025 said:

I wonder why Tammy even bothers making the 3 hour trip to these doctor appointments when it's obvious she knows beforehand that she didn't meet the goal. Going into the appointment in this episode, the look on her face showed she knew she wasn't going to lose much if any weight. Does she think someday he's just going to approve her without her having lost weight first?

Maybe if she is the first appointment of the day she could pay someone to break in overnight and tamper with the scale.

• LOL 6
5 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Maybe she's playing up the "dumb" per producers orders?

I just watched an older video of these two sisters from their beginnings on You Tube. Apparently they were originally going to be on that new TLC weight loss show (forgot the name of it) but TLC said they saw something different with these 2 and decided to give them their own show. Bad idea TLC whores.

Was it "Too Large"?   That makes sense, since their original doctor was Dr. Procter, who is the doctor on that too.  

I felt so sorry for Dr. Smith on the last episode, Tammy did nothing he told her to, and she thought staying the same weight was good enough.  

I hate that they built up to Chris' weigh-in, and are using that as a cliff hanger.    I don't see Chris committed to weight loss, and keeping it off even if he qualifies for surgery this week.  He kept saying that he worked so hard on the diet, but through the episode also said how sick he is of dieting to get surgery.     He doesn't seem to understand that he's looking at a very strict eating regimen if he ever does get the surgery.       He's just as delusional as Tammy in his own way.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 12
53 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Too Large.   That makes sense, since their original doctor was Dr. Procter, who is the doctor on that too.  

I felt so sorry for Dr. Smith on the last episode, Tammy did nothing he told her to, and she thought staying the same weight was good enough.  

I hate that they built up to Chris' weigh-in, and are using that as a cliff hanger, but I don't see Chris committed to weight loss, and keeping it off even if he ever qualifies for surgery.  

His wife is rather rotund too.   I would think both spouses would have to be committed to healthier living for it to work long term.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

So Amy wants skin surgery? It's not a magic wand, missy-painful with a long recovery time. And if she's going to have more kids, what's the point? It would just undo what the doctor did.And I just can't with Tammy anymore. She glares at everyone-people who are trying to help her-friends, family. Just let her live in her fantasy land, eat all she wants, and then die so we don't ever have to see her scowl again. Chris better get his head out of his ass-complaining he's tired of dieting-doesn't he realize the surgery will limit the amount of food he can eat? If he eats too much or eats the wrong kinds of food, he will be very sick. The surgery is a tool to help take off the weight-not a magical fix for the rest of your life. 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Yeah Tammy doesn’t get that the therapist is going to make a recommendation to the bariatric surgeon whether she is psychologically ready for the procedure lol.  Of course maybe she doesn’t really want the surgery and it is self sabotage.  Would explain a lot of her other choices as well.  

I don't think she really wants it.  When her mother asked if she still wanted the surgery, she gave a quiet, hesitant "yes", but it seemed like she only said what she thought her mother wanted to hear. 

PS, while her mother is a pretty nasty woman overall, her tears and emotion about Tammy possibly dying early were genuine and heartbreaking.

• Love 11
21 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I'm still hung up on the fact that it seemed like Tammy thought she had at least a modicum of success because she didn't *gain weight. 

Agree. My Google medical degree tells me it takes 7000 calories per day to maintain a 600 pound weight. My god if she just cut to double the daily recommendation (4000ish) she'd lose weight quickly and that's still like 4 McDonalds value meals. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
46 minutes ago, queenbee24 said:

Agree. My Google medical degree tells me it takes 7000 calories per day to maintain a 600 pound weight. My god if she just cut to double the daily recommendation (4000ish) she'd lose weight quickly and that's still like 4 McDonalds value meals. 

While I’m sure Tammy eats a large quantity of food, with some of her choices it doesn’t need to be that much to hit thousands of calories in a meal.  She says she has a weakness for chips and pastries.  Okay I have a feeling it’s not just plain chips but with a pint of dip or nacho sauce.  And have you ever looked at the calories in a slice of cheesecake unless it’s just a sliver?  So say she has mac n cheese with chips and dip and cheesecake that could easily be a 2000 plus calorie meal.  Add a couple full calorie sodas.  And then she has two other meals and snacks.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

This show finally made me create an account. I think I am done after this season. I watch My 600 Lb life and admit to enjoying when the participants are huge jerks, it's a guilty pleasure.  But my favorite episodes and the reason I continue to watch are when the person succeeds, I feel so happy for them! With this show and My Big Fat Fabulous Life I started watching because it truly seemed like Amy, Tammy and Whitney were genuine. At this point Amy seems to have stopped all progress under the guise of being a Mom (which apparently means you need to eat more and cannot clean or exercise.) As all weight loss has stopped it's just a show about Amy and Tammy's very boring lives.  TLC should discontinue as the shows are not what they set out to be. I am not on board with watching Tammy die, she may be a horrible person but she is an addict. TLC has the money to step in and figure something out, this isn't a nature show where we need to watch the animals die because nature must take it's course. They need to stop filming. I think while Tammy has dreams in her head of living life as a healthy person she is not willing to put in the work and has accepted death as the eventual outcome. It's gross of TLC to continue filming this when they know it's true. As all pretense of weight loss has stopped it seems like we are just watching a show about 2 obese sisters being rude and crass while the producers make up events to film.

Edited by CapeCodLuv
  • Love 15

I'm almost ready to ditch this show.  I think the family needs to stop taking Tammy to the doctor, let her do her own meds, food shopping, etc.  She'll literally sink or swim. She's a master manipulator and she's just a tremendous bore.  The therapist was awful.  I'm surmising Tammy is alluding to some sort of childhood abuse and that's why she's using her epic "shutting down" maneuver.  Either talk it out or not. If she DGAF, why should anyone else?

Edited by Wollstonecraft
  • Love 16

While it is a reality show staple, it is ridiculous to think anyone should have a meaningful conversation with a therapist on TV.  Tammy is closed off on a good day.  Why the heck would she bare her soul while being filmed?  Yes, she does a bunch of youtube videos, but those aren't exactly deep dives into her psyche. 

This show enjoys to much the let's send the yokels to something where they will be fish out of water. It is always boring.  Amy really plays up the "I'm just a hick" persona for the cameras.  Ugh. 

There would be a decent storyline around them truly learning how to eat better and break the cycle of generational obesity, but that would take more thought than anyone is willing to put into this show, including participants and show runners. 

• Love 14
On 12/21/2021 at 12:18 AM, GaT said:

Well, neither can Tammy :-)

I actually liked the mom this episode. Previously, she just seemed like a bitch, but it seemed like she really felt bad that Tammy & Amy were so heavy because of how she fed them. Also, she was a nurse??? An actual trained nurse?? How did she not know how to feed them? The $20.00 in the coochie story made me laugh though. How can she have been educated enough to be a nurse & have a daughter that doesn't know an inch is not a foot?

The mom is getting the good edit (the "poor, pitiful me; I didn't know no better" edit that Amy gets).  Guess she wants on the TLC gravy train (regular role), too...

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

The mom is getting the good edit (the "poor, pitiful me; I didn't know no better" edit that Amy gets).  Guess she wants on the TLC gravy train (regular role), too...

Yeah, too little too late.  I think what she did to her kids borders on abuse.  Once she saw there was a problem (or ideally before since she clearly could eat better herself) she could have gotten some books or even talked to a doctor.  By the way, when she called herself a nurse I'm thinking she was probably more like a nurses aide or what we call a certified nurses assistant (CNA) today. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
21 hours ago, cynicat said:

I don't think she really wants it.  When her mother asked if she still wanted the surgery, she gave a quiet, hesitant "yes", but it seemed like she only said what she thought her mother wanted to hear. 

PS, while her mother is a pretty nasty woman overall, her tears and emotion about Tammy possibly dying early were genuine and heartbreaking.

She's one to talk ,when she's the size of a planet herself. they  all are.

Yeah, Tammy's bad off but her family members aren't far behind .

On 12/21/2021 at 3:24 PM, snarkish said:

Tammy - "I'm still fighting". Yeah. With Dr. Smith, your siblings, production, the therapist...

Someone get Lola in there !

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Quilty said:

Tammy seems high when she "shuts down".  She said she takes pain meds . Could be another addiction?

And can she even see ? her eyes are down to a narrow  squint  from the forehead  bulk. 

Its  not  about how you look dear...

She  needs to  realize  being able to walk and see  is a blessing & she is crippling  herself.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 12/21/2021 at 3:32 PM, Gemma Violet said:

Yeah (even if the show paid for the spa) "I don't mind living in a cockroach/mice infested house if i get all the tv perks".  These women need a better education (which I know they won't get).  But don't regular people know that when you have mice (I did once and i moved out..lol.. for a few days til the exterminator came - no glue traps for me- they may be mice but I don't want to hear one screaming and.. just YUKKKKK!) it's time do something???????????  And these camera guys filmed this.. great.  Must be nice having droppings all over the house and counters and just germs for that baby.  JMO

On 12/21/2021 at 9:12 PM, MrBuhBye said:

Yet she knew plateau.

an inch, a foot, a MILE.  OMG

• Love 3
12 hours ago, xls said:

She's one to talk ,when she's the size of a planet herself. they  all are.

Yeah, Tammy's bad off but her family members aren't far behind .

Someone get Lola in there !

I knew this family (ok, they were my mother's cousin's family).  He was pretty big.. not obese.. and he married an obese woman and GUESS WHAT?  They had 3 daughters.. the first 2, obese.. the 3rd one a little skinny thing (but weird as they come; she is living off the grid somewhere in the woods).  One of the obese daughters DIED from obesity and complications (even though someone offered to pay for WLS for her).  It's a complicated, sad thing.  Don't know what happened to the other obese sister.. OH, there also was an obese son.  I know he is doing better, as better as he can.

8 hours ago, Quilty said:

Tammy seems high when she "shuts down".  She said she takes pain meds . Could be another addiction?

Even if she's high.. she is NASTY.  She wouldn't even close the friggin door in the therapist's office.  She's stubborn and nasty and doesn't care about anyone.

• Love 11

All this nonsense about Tammy's new "boyfriend" not wanting her to weigh less than 300 lbs. and therefore they all need to figure out how to quash their "relationship", is bullshit.

Tammy has to lose 350 lbs. to get to 300 lbs. and so far she hasn't been successful in losing a single pound on her own.

Oh no. Wait. She did lose 8 lbs. a couple of episodes ago, and Chris took her to her favorite Mexican restaurant to celebrate. Only 342 more pounds to go!

Tammy has much more serious issues that need to be dealt with right now than her online "boyfriend", so they need to give that situation a rest and revisit it when she's closer to 300 lbs.

Which...will never happen. So don't bother "resting" the issue. Just put it in a medically-induced coma.

As for Chris being tired of dieting and wanting to get the WL surgery so he can stop dieting: as others have mentioned, to continue to lose weight until he reaches his goal weight and to maintain his weight afterwards, he will need to continue to follow the dietary guidelines he's (supposedly) adhering to now for the rest of his life.

He's in good company with a lot of the people featured on My 600-lb Life, Too Large, etc., who seem to believe they'll eventually be able to return to their old ways of eating. They cannot.

I posted something similar in one of the My 600-lb Life episode topics a  couple of seasons ago, and someone jumped on me and told me I was wrong; that people can return to eating the foods they love again, just in smaller quantities.

No. According to my research, after WL surgery, once the patient reaches their goal weight, to maintain that weight they can't exceed 1200 - 1500 calories per day*. They will still need to avoid the foods they have had to avoid since the beginning of their "weight-loss journey", and stick to a high-protein/no carb diet for the rest of their lives.

So, if the way they ate prior to WL surgery relied heavily on fast food multiple times a day, and several large pizzas and/or a bucket of fried chicken all in one sitting, they can't do that again, ever.

One of the biggest issues after WL surgery is ensuring the patient's diet satisfies their nutritional needs (it's possible for someone who is morbidly obese to be malnourished). 

Because their maintenance diet cannot exceed the daily caloric limit established by their doctor, there's no room in it for any empty calories.  

About Amy not knowing what an inch is (other than it's a unit of measurement), her ignorance and that of her other family members:

I still remember being young during the time when if someone wanted learn about something they knew nothing about, they'd have to get to their local public library, use the card catalog to locate the book(s) which were likely to contain the information they needed, find the book(s) in the stacks, skim the book(s) to ensure the information they needed was covered in the book(s), have the librarian check out the book(s), take the book(s) home...and start reading.

Phew!

But now, almost everyone has a palm-size device that both makes and receives phone calls, and can also be used to look up whatever they want or need to know, frequently within seconds!

This device is a miraculous invention, especially for those who are poorly educated. For example, Amy, who knows there are many, many gaps in her knowledge, doesn't know what an inch is. I'll bet she's had multiple gaps of time, lasting several minutes or more, in the past few days. 

During one of those gaps of time, Amy could have picked up that miraculous invention, typed the word "inch" into it, and then she would have been able to choose one out of many resources able to teach her exactly what an inch is.

But she didn't. And it appears none of her family would do that, either. As a matter of fact, all of them seem to think their ignorance is funny.

But...it's not. 

And the only ones laughing about it is them. 

* The daily caloric intake is expressed as a range. The patient's doctor will advise each patient what their daily caloric limit is, based on several different factors.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 6

Someone upthread mentioned Big T's possible addiction to pain meds. I'm sure she is in pain-just carrying around the weight would be very painful but my question is how much medication would she need to get any relief? It seems it would be more than the average person. Now as a person who is allergic to pain medication I wouldn't know about dosages but narcotics are VERY hard to get. When the hubs had skin surgery years ago he was prescribed pain meds while recovering and it was up to me to get them for him. I had to go to at least three different drugstores to get his meds and got the hairy eyeball from all the pharmacists like I was an addict or something. I had to dole his pills out carefully because if he ran out there is a waiting period before you can get a refill. I can't imagine the huge doses she would have to take due to her size-which would explain the doped-up slurring (not the squinty eyes-those are because she is fat) and also the bad attitude (could be maybe withdrawl) anyway just a thought. Happy Holidays everyone!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Maisiesmom said:

Someone upthread mentioned Big T's possible addiction to pain meds. I'm sure she is in pain-just carrying around the weight would be very painful but my question is how much medication would she need to get any relief? It seems it would be more than the average person. Now as a person who is allergic to pain medication I wouldn't know about dosages but narcotics are VERY hard to get. When the hubs had skin surgery years ago he was prescribed pain meds while recovering and it was up to me to get them for him. I had to go to at least three different drugstores to get his meds and got the hairy eyeball from all the pharmacists like I was an addict or something. I had to dole his pills out carefully because if he ran out there is a waiting period before you can get a refill. I can't imagine the huge doses she would have to take due to her size-which would explain the doped-up slurring (not the squinty eyes-those are because she is fat) and also the bad attitude (could be maybe withdrawl) anyway just a thought. Happy Holidays everyone!

I have a feeling that if she is open to obtaining opioids illegally there would be many local sources.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

I have a feeling that if she is open to obtaining opioids illegally there would be many local sources.

That's possible but illegal drugs/pain killers are expensive. Would a drug dealer really deliver directly to Tammy's home with nosy Amy right next door? Maybe.

I hope we're not going to be subjected to any more scenes of Tammy at the therapists office. It's ridiculous to waste time on this when Tammy won't speak. An occasional "I don't know" from T. Boring stubborn brat.

• Love 5
On 12/21/2021 at 12:02 PM, Giant Misfit said:

hey do because Tammy is an atrocious person. So is Amy despite TLC trying to present her as some wisened "sage" on this program. I watched their YouTube videos (all now scrubbed/deleted) long before TLC entered the picture. They're scam artists and animal abusers. 

Amen! I hate, hate, hate that the Slatons have gotten the TLC redemption arc. They are grifters with a terribly problematic history and the fact they have a platform and “fans” makes me livid. I feel sorry for Gage and Little Bit for having the horrible fortune of being exposed to this terrible, toxic, ignorant family. TLC is the worst. They need to rename the network - foisting terrible people on unsuspecting viewers (FTPUS?). They’ve made a lucrative and horribly cynical habit of making terrible people “famous”. It’s gross. If network execs could feel shame - they should.

/rant over

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Tipsymcstagger said:

I feel sorry for Gage and Little Bit for having the horrible fortune of being exposed to this terrible, toxic, ignorant family.

You just nailed the spot-on description of these losers

I'm surprised Little Bit is still alive.I can only imagine how many fleas that dog has in the summer because you know, Amy is overwhelmed with a baby and dirty dishes. 

• Love 6
On 12/21/2021 at 8:55 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hate that they built up to Chris' weigh-in, and are using that as a cliff hanger.    I don't see Chris committed to weight loss, and keeping it off even if he qualifies for surgery this week.  He kept saying that he worked so hard on the diet, but through the episode also said how sick he is of dieting to get surgery.     He doesn't seem to understand that he's looking at a very strict eating regimen if he ever does get the surgery.       He's just as delusional as Tammy in his own way.     

Delusional is right! First off, Chris needs to buy larger clothes, about three sizes bigger. He may be one of those people who are in denial about what size he wears, and puts too much emphasis on the size tag. His tan shorts are practically indecent and I'm uncomfortable for him. 

@TwirlyGirly, ITA that Chris will have to watch what he eats after surgery, it's not a miracle solution for obesity. Further, I've heard that our pre-diet fat cells will always be present and just waiting to balloon up again. Idk if this is an old wives' tale, but it seems logical. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Rt66vintage said:

Further, I've heard that our pre-diet fat cells will always be present and just waiting to balloon up again. Idk if this is an old wives' tale, but it seems logical. 

Yes, I believe that's correct.  I read an article on it many years ago.  That's why people who have never been fat don't have as much trouble keeping their weight down--they have fewer fat cells.  Those who have gained weight have accumulated many more fat cells and those fat cells don't go away after weight loss.  They just shrink and are always waiting to puff up again.

The Slaton family needs to understand that this is a life long battle.  

• Love 4

I watch this show for the fascination/train wreck, don't-want-to-look-but-cannot-look-away thing. I grew with a very sweet mother, but if she had one kink in her personality, it was commenting on everyone's weight.  And she would not comment on anyone's weight to their face, she would look at another person in the room and say, "Rebky sure has put on weight". Hey, I am right here, and it's an insult to my intelligence to assume I don't know I have put on a WHOLE 5-10 pounds. Long story short, she quit smoking when I was 30, put on a lot of weight, and she had to hear the same things from others and it infuriated her.  I just laughed and said, "Sucks huh". And even though she is no longer around, I am determined to take off 10 pounds (have gone from 130-140 due to eating out for lunch with a new job).  I have to stop myself and remind myself - so what?? No one will say anything about it!  Having said all that, I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams getting anywhere near the Slaton sisters' weights. It is completely inconceivable!  It boggles my mind.  I know obesity is a family thing with them, but in a way I'm grateful I kept my weight in check. It must be absolutely horrific to live like that. It's so horribly unhealthy and sad. 

Edited by Rebky
  • Love 3