Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Man Vs. Scale

• Start Topic

Here's a preview of the skin removal discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC8VUoDE0oo

Amy needs to get to her goal weight before doing that.  I know on My 600 Pound Life, Dr. Now always lets them get skin-removal surgery before the goal, but that never made sense to me.

And how is Amy going to pay for it?  Dr. Now or the show probably pays for those, but will this show pay for it? 

Maybe if they can extend it into an exciting two-part episode.  Either that, or Amy will set up a Go-Fund-Me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Gemma Violet said:

And how is Amy going to pay for it?

She'll be pregnant before she figures out how to pay for skin removal surgery. Her skin is still attached to fat at this point. I'm not a doctor but I think she's got a weigh to go before a doctor will do skin removal. I could be 100% wrong (probably am) but it's JMOO

• Love 11

My son is having the skin removal done. He lost a lot of weight, has kept it off, and the skin is loose and wrinkly. The three problem areas are abdomen, underarms, and thighs. 

The surgery is being done by a plastic surgeon with experience in body contouring because it's important to minimize the scarring as much as possible. While Jr. has excellent health insurance, this surgery is considered cosmetic, so he is fighting to get at least some of it covered. Still, most will be out of pocket, and it's expensive.

He had the arms and abdomen done at the same time. For a week, he was helpless, so Mr. B&G and I had to stay with him at home day and night. He was also in a lot of pain. The thighs may or may not be easier. 

Amy might benefit from the tummy tuck and breast lift, but she should wait until she's done with pregnancies. She hasn't lost enough weight for the arms and legs. Someone will have to take care of her and Gage (and any other kids) at the same time. Her mother, Tammy, and Michael are her choices, and only Mike would be even remotely useful.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 11

Sigh. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

I get the impression Chris thinks once he gets surgery he won’t have to diet anymore. “I’m so tired of dieting, I want this surgery”, I think is what he said. Chris you’re gonna have to diet for the rest of your life.

So they are upset Tammy has a boyfriend and that’s hindering her weight loss. Then they break up and they say, oh no she’s eating her feelings. Gah these people are exhausting. The therapist appointment was cringe worthy. Tammy has some serious developmental issues so I’m not sure therapy has any chance, like asking a 7 year old to self actualize. And Tammy saying she had to go to therapy to get surgery was leaving out that whole, you know, weight loss component. And she didn’t do one thing that was asked of her but feels like it is a win she didn’t gain. 

Amy will be pregnant within the year. 

• Love 20
14 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Amy needs to get to her goal weight before doing that.  I know on My 600 Pound Life, Dr. Now always lets them get skin-removal surgery before the goal, but that never made sense to me.

For *some* patients the weight of the excess skin gets them much closer to their goal.  We’ve seen many of them wear compression garments to hold it in place while they continue losing enough weight for skin removal.

Amy shouldn’t be a skin removal surgery candidate at this point, she isn’t anywhere near her goal weight and now seems to be gaining rather than losing.  As @BradandJanet pointed out the recovery is very painful and she hasn’t got much of a support system.

I’ve seen more than enough of Tammy’s nasty scowling behaviour and fast forward when she’s on the screen.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

This may be from tonight's episode, or if from a past episode, I may have missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO5Exm8NKOQ

I just can't watch these morons video clips anymore. Tammy especially, then Amy and her doofass husband.

Amy wants her breasts lifted? What breasts? Neither she or Tammy have ever appeared to have breasts other than pancakes. I always found this peculiar that they are so overweight but none of it is in their breasts.

I was hoping the brother Chris, would be the one to come thru and follow the plan for weight loss and surgery. But even he appears to be hoping for the surgery thinking he can eat whatever he likes after that.

• Love 11

I can't stand how disrespectful Tammy is to people who have done nothing wrong to her. The therapist was politely asking basic questions and Tammy just stared her down with so much anger and hatred in her eyes as if she killed a small child or something. If I were that therapist I would've just ended the session after the first 5 minutes and told her to find someone else to waste her time with. Why even bother going to therapy if all you're going to do is just sit there being condescending, cranky and just reply with "I don't know". Her reason for going was so she could get approved for the weight loss surgery but did she think she could just go to a therapy session, sit there and not say anything, then magically have the surgery right after? She looked like a spoiled toddler who was put in time out.

ETA: How does Amy not know what an inch is, then proceeds to ask if it's like a foot?? I don't mind Amy but sometimes I wonder how she got this far in life without knowing even the basics.

Edited by sara1025
  • Love 22

So, Amy wants a boob lift, and probably enhancement, and skin removal, but says she can't wait to have more kids?     There's no logic in that line of thought.   There is no way anything surgical will happen at her weight, so I'm guessing they've run out of story lines. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 14
22 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

So, Amy wants a boob lift, and probably enhancement, and skin removal, 

And don't forget about her saying she " just don't feel sexy" with all that loose skin. Did she EVER feel sexy? Was it before the surgery? Before the baby? After the surgery? After the baby? 

I used to think Amy and Tammy might have some common sense but now I know they don't.

1 hour ago, sara1025 said:

I can't stand how disrespectful Tammy is to people who have done nothing wrong to her.

That's pretty much everybody. Except maybe her mother.

And if Tammy was/is on pain pills you can bet she's going to find lots of men interested in "her". 

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, sara1025 said:

Tammy just stared her down with so much anger and hatred in her eyes as if she killed a small child or something.

I can never decide if Tammy is truly as hateful and bitter as she looks or if she just has the ultimate resting bitch face.  She always looks as though she absolutely despises everybody and everything she sees. 

• Love 18

I didn’t get the feeling the therapist works with a lot  of people with eating disorders. Still, Tammy didn’t try much.  

At some point, maybe this year, we’ll be discussing Tammy’s death I’m afraid.  I just don’t see this story having a positive outcome.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 18
4 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

For once I agree with Tammy, when the therapist asked if she eats in the evening, or morning, and Tammy said she obviously eats all day long.    

The therapist said something very true: "You don't want to tell me? You don't want to tell yourself?"
Tammy doesn't want to own her issues.

• Love 20
13 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I didn’t get the feeling the therapist works with a lot  of people with eating disorders. Still, Tammy didn’t try much.  

At some point, maybe this year, we’ll be discussing Tammy’s death I’m afraid.  I just don’t see this story having a positive outcome.  

I’m still shocked she survived COVID. My neighbour, who is in his 30 s and fit, is a long hauler who still can’t climb a few stairs without being out of breath.

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

I’m still shocked she survived COVID. My neighbour, who is in his 30 s and fit, is a long hauler who still can’t climb a few stairs without being out of breath.

Lightbulb!!!
Is that why I've been puffing and chugging like a locomotive for the last year??

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Oh Tammy, working out 2 days before your appointment won’t do anything 

Tammy’s goal should be higher than 25 pounds.

Tammy's goal should have been 10 bottles of Perrier daily. If she wants to binge and drink up 32 bottles in 2 days, have at it.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Tammy doesn’t seem to have the capacity to understand her situation or appreciate her realty.  She doesn’t  want to lose weight.  The truth is that she’s not fighting to improve her health.  I’m exhausted with it. Just leave her with her decision.  

• Love 23
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Tammy doesn’t seem to have the capacity to understand her situation or appreciate her realty.  She doesn’t  want to lose weight.  The truth is that she’s not fighting to improve her health.  I’m exhausted with it. Just leave her with her decision.  

I think she wants to lose the weight, but she wants it to  come off without change. 

• Love 16
11 minutes ago, Suzywriter said:

I think she wants to lose the weight, but she wants it to  come off without change. 

That pretty much describes Tammy, Amy and Chris. I am officially (as I've mentioned before) hate watching this show. Except for Gage and Little bit the dog.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Tammy's face needs to be the picture in the dictionary for "resting bitch face".  Good God....  With that therapist?  Tams is bitching the therapy room needed to be bigger?.   Uhhh, sorry Tams.....the world isn't going to cater to 650 lb people....hint, hint .... Help yourself some here!

Like I said before ...she really doesn't seem to want to lose weight.   She's loving the victim role too much 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

I could relate to Amy when she said she was having trouble losing more weight. I've had that happen and I wasn't obese. The therapist should have asked Tammy some easy questions before asking about her weight. I used to do intakes and you want to make the person you are interviewing comfortable before asking personal questions.

• Love 12

How does Amy not know what an inch is, then proceeds to ask if it's like a foot?? I don't mind Amy but sometimes I wonder how she got this far in life without knowing even the basics.

Yeah, I don't know if it's funny or sad:

Scoot forward one inch.

I don't know what an inch is.  Is that a foot?

The therapist should have asked Tammy some easy questions before asking about her weight.

Maybe those questions were edited out.

In the previews for next week, it says Tammy was being harassed by her ex-boyfriend and the police got involved.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 4

I thought the therapist was doing well considering it was an intake and she had cameras on her. Having been through one or two intakes as a client, those first meetings feel really unproductive but I get that they have to lay down a baseline. Therapy is hard. I really don’t know if Tammy has the wear with all to stick with it, considering she hasn’t stuck with anything except the issues that got her to where she is in the first place. 

My $.02 is that Tammy and Amy need to walk up and down the driveway and just get moving. Goofing off with resistance bands isn’t going to help them. 

I call bullsh*t on Tammy’s pain when they were leaving the pool. Sounds like Tisa knew it was BS too. I agree, sometimes I think Tammy shows the effects of her pain medication when she’s in her confessionals. Now that I’m aware of it, it makes me feel kind of uncomfortable. Her eyes look dark and mean 😕

• Love 20
4 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

My neighbour, who is in his 30 s and fit, is a long hauler who still can’t climb a few stairs without being out of breath.

Well, neither can Tammy :-)

I actually liked the mom this episode. Previously, she just seemed like a bitch, but it seemed like she really felt bad that Tammy & Amy were so heavy because of how she fed them. Also, she was a nurse??? An actual trained nurse?? How did she not know how to feed them? The $20.00 in the coochie story made me laugh though. How can she have been educated enough to be a nurse & have a daughter that doesn't know an inch is not a foot?

The family spa day looked fun, it was nice to seem them enjoying something together that didn't involve food.

I knew they were going to end without us knowing what Chris' weight was. I think he lost the weight & they just want to drum up drama. 

• Love 11
19 hours ago, sadie said:

The therapist appointment was cringe worthy

Hell yes.  She was terrible, and I doubt it's just editing.  Tammy came in already angry and humiliated because the office was so small. I'm definitely NOT a therapist or even close, but I have to think that unless her anger got addressed, the appointment was doomed.  Tammy clearly did not like the therapist, and was never going to open up to her.  Been there. 

I know they were intake questions, however they were all close-ended and sounded very accusatory.  She has more chance to open up to Tisa than this woman.  For those who have done this type of thing, is it not allowed for Tammy to fill out those forms ahead of the appointment?  

• Love 7
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

For once I agree with Tammy, when the therapist asked if she eats in the evening, or morning, and Tammy said she obviously eats all day long.    

Have to give her credit for honesty. There hasn’t been a 600 pounder yet that ever told Dr. Now that they ate all day when he asked about their eating habit!!!🤣🤣

Edited by Kid
  • LOL 6
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I agree, sometimes I think Tammy shows the effects of her pain medication when she’s in her confessionals. Now that I’m aware of it, it makes me feel kind of uncomfortable. Her eyes look dark and mean 😕

And her speech is slurred.  Eyes hooded.  I grew up in a family of drunks so I know when somebody’s under the influence.  I noticed it immediately this season.

Edited by Kid
  • Useful 3
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, cynicat said:

I know they were intake questions, however they were all close-ended and sounded very accusatory.  She has more chance to open up to Tisa than this woman.  For those who have done this type of thing, is it not allowed for Tammy to fill out those forms ahead of the appointment?  

The opening up doesn't happen until a couple appointments in. At least that is how it worked for me. I do not enjoy intakes. I've seen maybe three different therapists on and off over the last 20 years. You feel like you're just treading water by answering the rudimentary questions but it has to be done.

I suspect if therapy is a component of a program where the end goal is weight loss surgery, those questions need to be asked and the answers documented. My guess is the therapy part of the process is rooted in thwarting malpractice. She has to be mentally prepared for surgery and educated about the lifestyle after surgery. That way if/when something drastic should happen to her after the surgery because she didn't follow the protocols, the practice has documentation of every step that was taken to help her. I realize there is much, much more to this, but this is my guess.

Tammy has proven time and time again that she won't put in the work. I'm sure she had to fill out forms before the appointment, but intake questions are administered and documented by the provider and entered into her electronic medical record. That's what the laptop was for. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Delighted to see Amy told to go away and finish losing weight before she gets skin removal.  She’d probably love to see some of the fat removed with the excess skin and not have to bother losing it with diet and exercise (who wouldn’t?!). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Her eyes look dark and mean 😕

They do because Tammy is an atrocious person. So is Amy despite TLC trying to present her as some wisened "sage" on this program. I watched their YouTube videos (all now scrubbed/deleted) long before TLC entered the picture. They're scam artists and animal abusers. 

43 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

Delighted to see Amy told to go away and finish losing weight before she gets skin removal.  She’d probably love to see some of the fat removed with the excess skin and not have to bother losing it with diet and exercise (who wouldn’t?!). 

Yes me too.  She's still very overweight.  Also I noticed that no one brought up the cost for all this, it's pretty pricey from what I've heard. 

I hate to say it but the whole family was getting on my nerves this episode.  Chris saying he can't wait to get surgery because he's sick of dieting.  Does he think he'll just be able to eat whatever he wants once he gets the surgery?  Amy is still very fat and in the car scene with Michael if I didn't know better I would have thought she was a good 7 months pregnant.  I hope she's serious about wanting to have Gage maintain a healthy weight.  I think if she educated herself about food and nutrition and applied it she'd do fine. 

I started off feeling some pity for Tammy but this episode made me realize that she has zero desire to loose weight.  Her only goal is to do what she likes which is eat constantly and talk to men on the internet, which doesn't end well judging from the promo for next week. 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

She may or may not understand her situation but I thought her frustration when she rhetorically asked the camera, "Can't I just be content?" nailed it.  Tammy seems far more upset about well meaning people nagging her about eating than the consequences of not losing weight.   She hasn't put out any effort and there isn't any sign she will.  Tammy just wants to eat and have someone push her around while she spends time with family and pretend internet relationships. 

I agree with those who say her family needs to treat this like an late stage cancer patient refusing chemo.    Love her, have fun with her and try to come to terms with the fact that she isn't going to be around much longer. 

• Love 20
18 hours ago, sara1025 said:

I can't stand how disrespectful Tammy is to people who have done nothing wrong to her. The therapist was politely asking basic questions and Tammy just stared her down with so much anger and hatred in her eyes as if she killed a small child or something.

Geez, Tammy is a lost cause. It's time her family came to terms with that. I tried, I really did - to understand Tammy at the therapists. Should I feel sorry for her because she has some deep, dark memories that she cannot revisit so she shut down? Or is she just a total bitch. I am settling for the bitchiness. Man, she has so much hatred in her, being utterly uncooperative to a woman who was only trying to help her. Everyone is trying to help this lost cause and she respects no one, has a hard, hateful exterior and a heart as cold as ice. She behaved like an ungrateful angry toddler during the session. "I don't know", while giving death stares. Oh, good grief, how awful to sit through that.

Amy with the "what's an inch" question. She should amp up her behavior. I can't imagine a grown adult not knowing how much an inch is. At least nod, then go home and look it up. She's very comfortable with embarrassing herself.

I wish they would show Tammy downing her food, like they do on 600 Lb. I wonder how much of her day is spent eating to sustain that obeseness. Eating is everything to her, her world - yet it's never shown on camera.

I stayed up late to find out if Chris lost weight. Of course, it wasn't disclosed.

• Love 12

Amy did say when she was talking about skin removal, that she wanted her huge stomach area reduced.      I think she's thinking she'll find a surgeon that wants the publicity, and will agree to do the skin removal, and plastic surgery for free. 

Amy seems to think the surgeon would remove her entire huge stomach area, and that's not possible. 

I'm hoping no surgeon will agree to doing the massive amount of work Amy says she wants done.    I guess it never dawned on her that the scars will be all over too, and healing will be painful, and take a long time.   Also, she seems to think that skin removal, and plastic surgery will turn her into a beauty queen.   That's never going to happen. 

I don't like that they showed Chris weighing in, and not the results.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Breedom said:

I wonder how much of her day is spent eating to sustain that obeseness.

I bet if she just missed one meal, she would lose weight.

50 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Amy did say when she was talking about skin removal, that she wanted her huge stomach area reduced.      I think she's thinking she'll find a surgeon that wants the publicity, and will agree to do the skin removal, and plastic surgery for free.     I'm hoping no surgeon will agree to doing the massive amount of work Amy says she wants done.

I'm sure the show would make some kind of arrangement with the doctor to pay for it. If it gets them ratings, the show will pay in some manner.

• Love 7

It angers me more each episode the opportunities these bumpkins get that are a complete waste. 

Tammy needed a slap across her RBF for her manner and glare towards the therapist. Plenty of folks would be grateful for free therapy. 

A breast lift for Amy? She can't even buy a proper fitting BRA. 

They live in a duplex that looks like it should be condemned by the Board of Health but have $ to get facials and waxing?

Tisa and Gage are the only saving grace. And Tisa, glad you added that Tammy better not abuse  her "pain excuse". It's more like "pain pill ABUSE" at this point. 

They're really reaching for content at this point. I assume/hope this is the last season of this. 

• Love 10