Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Peter Pan, The Backup Plan, Adventures in Babysitting, and A River Runs Through It

Pallas
  • Start Topic

"...okay, so this is the part of the horror movie where I know something's horribly wrong, but nobody else does." LOL. 

Also loved,

"I have to go walk the kids through the metal detector at school."

"Oh, man, all the kids have to do that now?"

"No."

Nice to see Emilio again, and see that he's doing well for himself in general. Though Becky's reaction to finding out he had a girlfriend was interesting (also, on a side note, she looked really cute in her pink sweater and jeans. I liked that outfit). I get her worries, and I like her talk with Dan about finding someone. 

I appreciate Darlene's attempt to trick Harris and Aldo with the "moving in together" suggestion, even though it backfired. But she's absolutely right to be bothered by this, and I won't be surprised if/when this relationship falls apart eventually. And if Darlene's looking for ways to try and handle her daughter, I don't think she'll find the answers in that store. It might prove helpful for her in terms of trying to get herself centered and focused and calmer, but that's going to take time, and even then, it's not the solution to dealing with what's happening with Harris.

Aw at Dan with his imaginary honeymoon stuff to try and make up for not being able to have a real one. I liked how Louise handled that in the end. I do hope they can have a nice actual honeymoon at some point, though -they may not be able to take a big trip to another country or something of that sort, no, but they could probably swing a nice little drive to a fun little tourist area nearby - someplace near Lake Michigan, perhaps, for instance. I'm sure there's some nice little honeymoon spots for people to enjoy there :). 

• Love 16

Well, this was rather disappointing as a Halloween episode. Though Aldo's creepy kids were kind of funny.

2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Also loved,

"I have to go walk the kids through the metal detector at school."

"Oh, man, all the kids have to do that now?"

"No."

lol...I was gonna quote that part but I couldn't remember the exact line.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 8

I loved this episode! Though not too much Halloween which is okay by me because I'm not really a Halloween type of person.

The Dan & Louise scenes were so adorable!!I I loved them. I felt bad for Dan though not be able to take Louise anywhere for their honeymoon, but as @Annber03 said maybe they can still go on a small one later on. Loved it when Dan called Louise his wife - twice!! it made me smile. I also loved Louise how handled that, I just love her she takes everything in her stride. I loved their cute bedroom scene. It seems though from the promotional photos though there was cut scene of Dan, Louise, Harris, Darlene and Mark in the kitchen! I really wanted to see what that scene was all about. 

Emilio is back and Becky's reaction is interesting as some else mentioned...wonder where that's gonna go? I still think Mikey is good for her, but just my opinion. 

Darlene and Harris wow. I still don't know what to make of Aldo and Harris, but Darlene had me going there for a minute. I should have known something was up before her plan backfired. I really hope the relationship with Aldo doesn't last, but who knows how that's gonna go I hope Darlene and Harris talk about about this because they definitely need too. 

I can't wait for next week's episode! 

• Love 6

The Halloween bits felt obligatory rather than organic to the plot. This whole season has just been off, like it's desperately in search of a reason to keep going. 

Aldo's kids are creepy a.f. but they were literally the only laugh I got out of the whole episode.

One minute Dan is telling Darlene that men don't look into each other's eyes and the next minute he's telling Becky that Emilio is handsome? OK then.

• Love 9

My favorite parts of the episode were Becky's scenes with Emilio (but once again, I do NOT want them to be together--I prefer them to her and Mikey, but I really want her to stay single for awhile), and Dan--those were both great.

Aldo's creepy kids were hilarious, too.

I will say I wish that we didn't have so many classmates (okay, just two so far) we never saw on the original show pop up here--first Mikey, now this dude trying to get Darlene in touch with spirituality. Then again, when they brought back Molly, she got killed off, so maybe this is a better alternative. Still, how great if that guy had been, say, Brian or Barry from back in the day?

• Love 8

This did not even try to maintain the legacy of Halloween episodes; I wish they'd just skipped the holiday altogether than done this half-assed Tossing some costumes on everyone for one scene counts, right? offering.

Enough with Darlene's soul.  But Eastern philosophy at least makes more sense as something for Darlene to be interested in seeing if it has anything to offer her.  And "One stop shopping for things I find ridiculous" from Harris about the combination vegan restaurant-spiritual bookstore made me laugh. 

As did Aldo's creepy-ass kids - especially Dan scaring them off - even though this whole relationship of Harris's is batshit crazy.

Becky and Emilio were fine, but I like them so much better co-parents than as having any type of romantic interest in each other, so I'm not interested in whatever the writers won't just let forkin' go of.  The best part of that was, as always, Becky's conversation with Dan.

• Love 10

(Looks up defiantly)….well, guess I’ll sit by myself at the table ‘cause I like Becky and Emilio together, despite liking Mikey as well.

Harris can go fuck right off with her other Daddy, this storyline is disgusting and not funny at all.

Damn, Ames really sprouted up during the summer, he’s gotta be at least 6’1 or something.

Loving Dan and Louise.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I like Dan and Louise together, but it seemed very strange seeing them together in the bed that he shared with Roseanne for decades. 

Yeah, that was kind of a jolt for me, too. I think they need to show Louise changing some of the decor, to reflect that she's not just "spending the night" over at Roseanne and Dan's. She's the lady of the house, now, no matter what the "little Goblin" thinks (tm Harris Healey-Conner....or is it Harris Conner-Healey?)

• Love 11

While I can understand Becky being skeptical about who is around Beverly Rose, I got a huge “we split up and I thought I could do better than him, but he found someone good so he IS worth being with” vibe from her regarding Emilio and his new girlfriend.

Speaking of Peter Pan, Aldo seems to live that type of lifestyle. At least he has one thing going for him, and that’s that he didn’t bail when talks came up about Harris moving in.

Loved how Dan threw Aldo’s kids’ shtick right back at them and creeped them out at the end.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Why is Harris feeding Aldo’s kids? Go to his house and make their lunches from their food!!

Apparently they needed an alibi? (One of them said something to Darlene about needing someone to say they were there.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Yeah, that was kind of a jolt for me, too. I think they need to show Louise changing some of the decor, to reflect that she's not just "spending the night" over at Roseanne and Dan's. She's the lady of the house, now, no matter what the "little Goblin" thinks (tm Harris Healey-Conner....or is it Harris Conner-Healey?)

Spoiler

According to the writers from an article I read these things will come up later on, they didn't say when or which episodes though, she'll apparently be changing somethings I guess.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Virtual said:

Speaking of Peter Pan, Aldo seems to live that type of lifestyle. At least he has one thing going for him, and that’s that he didn’t bail when talks came up about Harris moving in.

I don't think moving in with someone he's been dating for five minutes when he has kids living with him is something he has going for him, just another of the umpteen ways this relationship is a giant mess, and that's before adding in that she's a teenager. 

I don't know if there's anyone Harris would listen to - it's certainly not going to be Darlene, and the lack of regard Darlene has shown her kids at multiple points during this Ben saga doesn't give her much of a leg to stand on - but maybe Becky could at least try cautioning her this is a bad idea.  I mean, as long as she doesn't have a kid with this guy, it's also pretty easy to get out of, but it's such an inherently unbalanced relationship.  Of course, this is a family that specializes in bad ideas, so no wonder.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Virtual said:

Well, sure!  Free babysitter, free cook, rent money, and sex at home any time.  He clearly isn't concerned about her being only a few years older than his kids.

Harris has major daddy issues.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Virtual said:

While I can understand Becky being skeptical about who is around Beverly Rose, I got a huge “we split up and I thought I could do better than him, but he found someone good so he IS worth being with” vibe from her regarding Emilio and his new girlfriend.

That's why I liked the "He was your back-up plan" conversation between Becky and Dan.  It was like their talk after that preaching Packer fan she thought she was supposed to like because of the stability he could offer Beverly Rose, when Dan said to let Beverly Rose find her own guy; Becky deserved someone right for her.

Here, he made her realize she had held onto this idea of settling for Emilio at some point because, even though she wasn't into him, he was all in for her, and he's a good guy, so it wouldn't be a bad match-up, but "not bad" isn't what she deserves.  She either finds someone who's a great romantic partner for her, or she doesn't, but she doesn't need to slot someone good enough into that role if it doesn't happen.  That's the advice Becky needs, and I like the way Dan says it but ultimately makes her realize it on her own.

I just don't trust the writers to finally and fully embrace the concept that a one-night stand resulting in an unintended pregnancy doesn't mean the woman choosing to continue that pregnancy means there's more of a connection between the two parties than the resulting baby.  They've seemingly wiped out Jackie, Fred, and Andy, but that was a well-done tale of how two well-intentioned people who love their shared child cannot force a nuclear family relationship to work.  Becky realized that well before her aunt did, that they shouldn't try to in the first place, and it would be quite refreshing for her to stick with that accurate reading of the situation.  But the writers just can't let go of this Well, maybe notion with her and Emilio and keep trotting it out from time to time.  I hope this will be the end, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Love 6

While I don't disagree that the Harris-Aldo relationship is all kinds of ick, Darlene in general is just so wholly unlikeable this go 'round. I realize they've retconned a lot of things, but Darlene is supposed to be an intelligent person. She seems now to just jump at anything that might "fix this" or "help that". IMO, it's way OOC. She's also taken absolutely no accountability of the end of her relationship with Ben. (Yes, Ben did things too. I'm not giving him a free pass.)

But yeah, the show remembered Becky has a child.

• Love 12

Darlene really went about the whole Aldo/Harris thing the wrong way.  She should have reminded Harris that her uncle DJ is only 2 years older than Aldo. Plus she has that middle management job at Wellmans. That could pay for some family therapy which they obviously need.

Hoping that David shows up to resolve some of Harris' daddy issues. But at this point I wouldn't mind Harris being written out that she took off with Aldo and they bring Mary, DJ and DJ's wife in full time.

I agree with the poster above that seeing Louise in Dan and Rosie's bed is an ick factor. They could have at least bought another bed.

I liked Becky's scenes and prefer her with Mikey than with Emilo.

Not liking River.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, greekmom said:

I agree with the poster above that seeing Louise in Dan and Rosie's bed is an ick factor. They could have at least bought another bed.

Personally I think the bed looks different and I have to admit I thought it was a new bed. 🤷‍♀️

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I kept expecting someone to make a joke anout Aldo’s creepy kids being like the girls in “The Shining”.

If the writers have any sense, those boys will drive Harris out of Aldo’s house before long. Or she’ll realize he’s using her as a free cook, maid, and babysitter while he sits around probably doing nothing but playing video games and drinking/getting stoned, and then she’ll get pissed off and leave.

• Love 8

I guess Dan is still super hard up for cash considering a hole in the roof wiped out his honeymoon plans. Especially since the guy is a former contractor who is part owner of a hardware store. How much could some shingles and some nails cost?

• Love 4

The most underwhelming Halloween episode ever.  I mean, we got a couple of costumes, a candy joke, and Aldo's creepy kids.  I've changed my mind about Kato Aldo, and it's just not the age difference.  They've barely dated, and knowing someone from work before you walk down the aisle as bridesmaid and plus one date/brides groom doesn't count.  Run, Harris, Run!  Now she's moving in to live with this man and be a pseudo stepmom to Creepy 1 and Creepy 2?  Aldo is a goofball.  I was hoping he would treat her right, but he's just going to use her as a free cook, housekeeper, babysitter, and sex partner.  She was better off sharing the apt with Odessa.

Dan and Louise all googly-eyed with the canceled honeymoon and virtual trips on the couch was pretty much lame.

At least we got to see Emilio.  If Becky and he want to make a go of their relationship, and that would benefit Beverly Rose, I'm fine with that.

• Love 8
On 10/28/2021 at 1:01 PM, Bastet said:

I don't think moving in with someone he's been dating for five minutes when he has kids living with him is something he has going for him

That’s a very good point, he DOES benefit from a lot if Harris moves in. That’s not even mentioning that Harris will probably be the adult in that relationship despite her being 19 years younger than him.

And if Harris doesn’t listen to her own family (she proved time and time again that she won’t), I don’t think anyone can get through to her.

• Love 3

Hopefully Wacky Aunt Jackie will impress upon Harris that it's incumbent on her to take care of herself birth control-wise (and STD/SDI-wise too, for that matter).  Darlene aka Darklene has her head in the clouds finding herself and failing at reverse psychology with Harris.  Wasn't there a storyline not too far back that Harris was dating a married man?  I wonder if Kato Aldo is that married man and he's not even divorced from Drug Addict With a Restraining Order Wife and Mother of Creepy 1 and Creepy 2.

• Love 4

Darlene and her journey is still stupid. I don’t care. It’s boring.

Harris and that guy is gross but she’s an adult and Darlene yelling about it isn’t going to do anything.

I would like less focus on Harris tho. I’m sorry but Emma Kenney is a terrible actress playing her. It’s weird tho because she wasn’t this bad as Debbie on Shameless.

Emilio is still hot. Isn’t it kind of risky for him to be dating. I guess he can’t just sit around and could lie he’s cheating on his wife lol.

Dan and Louise’s scenes I did like.

• Love 5
On 10/27/2021 at 9:31 PM, ams1001 said:

Well, this was rather disappointing as a Halloween episode. Though Aldo's creepy kids were kind of funny.

Speaking of creepy, I just realized that Aldo is played by the guy in the Hanes "Ball-ance" commercial (Tony Cavalero).   It makes me see him and Harris' relationship as even creepier.  🤮

• Useful 3
19 hours ago, izabella said:

For all that Dan was a contractor for years, that house looks like a dump.  It makes no sense.  And they could have gotten a new couch at Goodwill years and years ago.

"The shoemaker's children go barefoot."

-Old English proverb.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

And I'll give them points for consistency; even back when he was young, he always claimed it was too complicated to put in a dishwasher or create built-in shelving in the wall, and even after the Bowmans inadvertently revealed to Roseanne he was lying by giving them a tour of their (identical layout) house in which they'd had both those things done, he still didn't do it.

He wasn't lazy - he built some stuff in the basement to create a writing room for Roseanne, enclosed the back porch to create a laundry room, and fixed everything that broke - but they always spent time and money on the functional, not the cosmetic.  It makes sense, given their/his ongoing financial situation, that the house hasn't changed much.

(And that couch is a sentimental thing for the characters and the audience.  Even back in the original series, Roseanne brought a newer one home and it didn't feel right to them, so they kept the old one.  And then for the revival, the original wasn't available, so the set decorators replicated it rather than getting something new because they knew the audience wanted to see the couch and the afghan again.) 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6
On 10/30/2021 at 1:52 AM, CrystalBlue said:

At least we got to see Emilio.  If Becky and he want to make a go of their relationship, and that would benefit Beverly Rose, I'm fine with that.

Emilio is a caring father and I bet he would go for Becky in a minute he could if she gave him the time of day.

• Love 5

Okay so from what I read Emilio finally found someone who actually wants him. And people still want him and Becky together because of Beverly Rose. He also doesn’t deserve to be Becky’s back up plan/plan b. She didn’t want him and now he found someone who appreciates him.

okay then let someone who has been told by their mother, my mom had me in her 40s. That I am the only reason my parents stayed together.

being together solely for the sake of a child doesn’t work out a lot. Resentment will build up and the one who ends up getting hurt and damaged in that process is the kid. That has happened to me and to my best friend. We have been seen as the things that kept our moms shackled.

That’s all continue enjoying the trainwreck show.

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't know what her problem is. He's great looking and seems like a really decent guy.

If she doesn't feel it, she doesn't feel it.  She may also be wary of Emilio being younger than she.  He is in a different life stage   What happens if/when Emilio wants more kids?  Will he leave her?  Maybe she doesn't want to go all-in on a relationship she doesn't think will last and will hurt her and him in the end.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, izabella said:

If she doesn't feel it, she doesn't feel it.  She may also be wary of Emilio being younger than she.  He is in a different life stage   What happens if/when Emilio wants more kids?  Will he leave her?  Maybe she doesn't want to go all-in on a relationship she doesn't think will last and will hurt her and him in the end.

Does Becky, or any Conner really, think that far ahead?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

6 hours ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

being together solely for the sake of a child doesn’t work out a lot. Resentment will build up and the one who ends up getting hurt and damaged in that process is the kid. That has happened to me and to my best friend. We have been seen as the things that kept our moms shackled.

Right--all my mother staid was "I can't wait til you kids leave home"  Father Know Best is wasn't

• Love 2
On 10/30/2021 at 1:52 AM, CrystalBlue said:

Dan and Louise all googly-eyed with the canceled honeymoon and virtual trips on the couch was pretty much lame.

I'm sorry, but I love Dan & Louise together so I didn't think their scenes were lame at all, but okay. 

• Love 3