Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E07: Caramel Week

• Start Topic

oooh, I loooovvve caramel!  love it love it love it!

Matt had me laughing out loud when he was peeking from beneath the bench with the glass dome and his head side by side.  That was hilarious!

I think the challenge in the Twix bar is getting the caramel just right.  It's not easy to get that perfect consistency for a bar cookie.  I was actually surprised at how messy most of them looked.  I don't know what George was thinking lining them up in a deep pan and then drowning them in chocolate.  That was so obviously not the right strategy. 

For all the times when things have been so down to the wire, here we had a showstopper challenge that not only left enough time for Crystelle to make 3 (3!!!) domes, but everyone else had enough time to watch her make at least the last one.  Have they ever collectively had so much time to spare? 

I also would have preferred a spun sugar element instead of the dome.  Was it Chigs who had the circle of spun sugar on his signature bake?  And Giuseppe had the caramel drops.  I love those.  I need to go back and watch that, as I have always wanted to try doing that sort of thing.  I think it's technically easier than a dome, but it looks so much more impressive.  

I felt bad for Lizzie.  She really went above and beyond with the inverted dome. It was so pretty, and I was surprised that it bore the weight of all the cake inside.  I wish the judges had a better reaction to it. 

I love this group.  I'd guess barring any big surprises Lizzie will be the next to go.  And from there, anything is possible.  It's going to come down to very small details.  I'd be shocked if Chigs makes it into the final 4, but I think it's possible.  What I'm most impressed about with Chigs is that he knows all the basic bakes for the technicals, after baking only for a year.  The Twix recipe said "bake a shortbread" without giving the specific instructions.  I've been baking for years and years and couldn't make a shortbread by memory.  

On 11/5/2021 at 8:20 PM, babs1226 said:

I don't know if anyone here watches it, but I really enjoy GBBO Extra Slice.  They give such a nice sendoff to the leaving baker, and they make me laugh!  Paul Hollywood was on the panel this week and had such nice things to say about George.  George really is a sweetie, and I'm sad to see him go, but I don't want anyone to go.

Does anyone know if we can get Extra Slice in the US?  Last time I looked (last season) I couldn't find a way to access it.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, chaifan said:

I'd guess barring any big surprises Lizzie will be the next to go. 

I don't know. There are times when she has been better than Chigs and Crystelle. I wouldn't be surprised if she stayed.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, xfuse said:

I don't know. There are times when she has been better than Chigs and Crystelle. I wouldn't be surprised if she stayed.

I think you are right.  Really, I wouldn't be surprised to see any of Lizzie, Chigs or Crystelle go.  And I suppose that means either Giseppe or Jurgen will go.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I thought Lizzie's bowl was beautiful.  Frankly, I'm amazed George made it this far.  He clearly does not have the talent of several of the bakers he outlasted.  My hope for the final is Chrystelle, Chigs, and Guiseppe but I sadly think Jurgen is a lock for the win.  I'm just not a fan of his.  He seems to be void of a sense of humor.  My  chosen three are just such happy, positive people and I do not see that in Jurgen.  

• Love 8

I had an American Twix candy bar last night.  I forgot how good those are.  Here is my prediction of the order of go,  based on no insider info.  Next week Lizzie, week after that Chigs, leaving Juergen, Giuseppie, and Chrystelle in the final.  I know I misspelt all their names.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, quickjessie said:

I thought Lizzie's bowl was beautiful.  Frankly, I'm amazed George made it this far.  He clearly does not have the talent of several of the bakers he outlasted.  My hope for the final is Chrystelle, Chigs, and Guiseppe but I sadly think Jurgen is a lock for the win.  I'm just not a fan of his.  He seems to be void of a sense of humor.  My  chosen three are just such happy, positive people and I do not see that in Jurgen.  

I agree with this so much. It was mentioned a few posts back about how Jurgen is clearly the most consistent (or something like that), and honestly, I see Guiseppe as being equally consistent. His showstopper had issues yesterday, but Jurgen has also had off weeks. I like Jurgen, but there are times it feels like he thinks he's being held to a higher standard. Guiseppe is just so modest...it's endearing.

• Love 9

IMO, Jurgen sees turning out beautiful foods as a technical challenge.  The others seem to see turning out beautiful foods as a passion.  The results can be similar, but it's kind of more fun if the bakers are more emotionally invested in what they're doing.

I don't think Jurgen is a bad person.  He's just very focused.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

IMO, Jurgen sees turning out beautiful foods as a technical challenge.  The others seem to see turning out beautiful foods as a passion.  The results can be similar, but it's kind of more fun if the bakers are more emotionally invested in what they're doing.

I don't think Jurgen is a bad person.  He's just very focused.

My dad was German and I see a lot of him in Jurgen. He was a peacemaker and a gentle soul. Someone said Jurgen is like Winnie the Pooh. I can see it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 20

Honestly I like all of the remaining contestants. Giuseppe is my favourite but I am partial to Italians since I married one. 😉

Jurgen is quiet and reserved but he still seems like a lovely person.  And I really like Crystelle, Lizzie and Chigs too.  
I will be sad to see who goes next week.

• Love 17
31 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Honestly I like all of the remaining contestants. Giuseppe is my favourite but I am partial to Italians since I married one. 😉

Jurgen is quiet and reserved but he still seems like a lovely person.  And I really like Crystelle, Lizzie and Chigs too.  

This really is a lovely group of people. One thing I noticed this season,  we didn't get a background at home on the bakers like we normally do or did I miss it? 

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

This really is a lovely group of people. One thing I noticed this season,  we didn't get a background at home on the bakers like we normally do or did I miss it? 

Now that you mention it, I don't recall that either. They talked about what they did for a living and maybe showed family but only in the premier. Where as past seasons they mention it multiple times.

My guess for the finale is:

Giuseppe, Jurgen and then the third spot can be any one of the other three. But if I had to guess right now I'd go with Crystelle. They all seem like nice people which is good to see in a competition.

• Love 5

Caramel week ends up being the overdue end of George.  I like them all but it was no surprise and the editing didn't even hide it.  At least he presented a nice showstopper.

Free form should be interesting.  They've done Vegan and alternative ingredient weeks before and it was the quarterfinal in week 8 of series 4 so should be interesting to see how it goes down.  Lizzie is likely next on the chopping block.  She's good but not as consistent as the top 4 have been.

Glad to see Jürgen back as SB his 104 step showstopper looked wonderful.  I personally find him quite amusing.  Him cracking jokes about not having time to do more when he already had tons of steps was amusing.

I'll chime in on the Matt and Noel were actually funny.  Matt and George joking that honeycomb was the only comb they need gave me a chuckle.  I seriously lost it when Noel called Giuseppe Al Pacino on a Guess Who board.  Damn!

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

They usually do it in the first two episodes.  I remember Jürgen playing trombone with his family, Giuseppe baking with his son's, Chigs hanging out with his family, Crystelle and her sisters.

It's going to be hard to eliminate any more of these people.  Definitely my favorite group in at least 3/4 seasons.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I remember seeing Jurgen playing brass instruments with his family--a wife and son, Chigs kicking a soccer ball with niece/nephew and Crystelle cooking with her sisters--there was a sliding in of a rug and Crystelle jumping.  I think Lizzie walked her dog about and bought him a treat.  Giuseppe, I don't remember.

kittykat--you beat me to the response!

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, kittykat said:

It's going to be hard to eliminate any more of these people.  Definitely my favorite group in at least 3/4 seasons.

I agree, I am kind of dreading a final choice.  I wasn't too sure of Lizzie at the beginning, partly because I couldn't understand a single word she said, but she has grown on me.  I really like all of them very much and honestly cannot root for one over the other.  It's a great group.

• Love 10
On 11/6/2021 at 6:46 PM, chaifan said:

Does anyone know if we can get Extra Slice in the US?  Last time I looked (last season) I couldn't find a way to access it.

Anyone who would like help finding Extra Slice can shoot me a PM. 

21 hours ago, kittykat said:

Free form should be interesting.  They've done Vegan and alternative ingredient weeks before and it was the quarterfinal in week 8 of series 4 so should be interesting to see how it goes down.  Lizzie is likely next on the chopping block.  She's good but not as consistent as the top 4 have been.

They usually do it in the first two episodes.  I remember Jürgen playing trombone with his family, Giuseppe baking with his son's, Chigs hanging out with his family, Crystelle and her sisters.

Yes, I love all of these people! George was the last one who wasn't going to totally break my heart at elimination. I liked him a lot too, but I knew that he didn't quite have enough baking ability and time management skill to make it all the way. These last 5, though, are all amazing in different ways. 

I'm guessing/hoping that Lizzie wows everyone in Free From Week. The themes of each week have seemed to stress her out, and she's very creative with a lot of interesting flavors, so I'm hoping the freedom from restrictions will really let her shine. 

I loved Jurgen instantly in the first episode when he was playing trombone with his family, and they also showed his pet free-roaming bunny! I have two pet bunnies, so bunny people are my people. I also just love Jurgen's Werner-Herzog-ish way of explaining things. Pretty much everything he says makes me giggle, just because of the voice.

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, Iseut said:

I also just love Jurgen's Werner-Herzog-ish way of explaining things. Pretty much everything he says makes me giggle, just because of the voice.

I just had the image of Jürgen making a Grogu-shaped cake, pulling it out of the oven, and saying, “I would like to see the baby.” 🤣

• LOL 11
On 11/7/2021 at 6:21 PM, 3 is enough said:

Giuseppe seems to be an incredibly cool guy, with a good sense of humour and an ability to enjoy whatever is going on around him. He and Crystelle are definitely my favourites, as two people who seem to embrace the camaraderie and the idea that they're in the tent to enjoy themselves.

Jurgen seems quite self-contained and focused, but it's clear from little interactions that they all get on well. I think he's feeling the pressure of the competition a little more than the others, now he knows he's seen as the favourite. I remember Ian from season six being similar, when he got the first three star baker awards and was Paul's golden boy who often got the 'I expected better from you' comments whenever there was a slight mishap.

• Love 10
On 11/7/2021 at 12:17 PM, kittykat said:

Oh my gosh I feel the same way! This is such a lovely group and they are all so nice I hate to lose any more of them, but my heart is really rooting for Chigs. I still can't believe he's only been baking for a year or so!

I also think this season has seen some better challenges than the last couple seasons. I love caramel, so I was into this one. It seems deceptively difficult to get the correct consistency for the caramel. I didn't even mind the superfluous sugar dome as it gave us the mad dash to remake the bowl THREE TIMES! by Crystelle. That was pretty impressive that she switched techniques and got it done on the fly under the pressure of the tent. It's almost like she was doing another technical!

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Iseut said:

I'm guessing/hoping that Lizzie wows everyone in Free From Week. The themes of each week have seemed to stress her out, and she's very creative with a lot of interesting flavors, so I'm hoping the freedom from restrictions will really let her shine. 

"Free From" is actually free from dairy, free from gluten, and vegan, if I remember correctly (signature, technical and showstopper each being free of different things) - rather than free to do what you want; so, more restriction, not less. Who knows, though, maybe she's fiddled around with some of those things and will do well.

Edited by akr
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

My son has a high stress job.  He loves action video games, and some cooking shows like Chopped.  He told me that he loves the GBBO because it's calming to watch, and everyone is nice to each other.  I was surprised when he told me that he watches it with his wife every week, because it doesn't seem like the type of entertainment he would like.  He laughed and admitted that he would have never thought watching people bake would be relaxing.  He's also rooting for all of the remaining contestants.  I really don't have a favorite at this point, and agree that they should just end the season as far as competition, and give all of the remaining bakers a cake plate and call it a 5-way tie.   

• Love 14
3 hours ago, laredhead said:

My son has a high stress job.  He loves action video games, and some cooking shows like Chopped.  He told me that he loves the GBBO because it's calming to watch, and everyone is nice to each other.  I was surprised when he told me that he watches it with his wife every week, because it doesn't seem like the type of entertainment he would like.  He laughed and admitted that he would have never thought watching people bake would be relaxing.  He's also rooting for all of the remaining contestants.  

Aww, I love that! We had my aunt and uncle over this weekend and just had some of the holiday GBBO episodes playing softly in the background while we were making dinner and chatting. My uncle, especially, came in and was like "I can't believe people just watch people make cake! That's a whole show?!?" By the end of his visit, he was like "Stop opening the oven door! What are you thinking?" and "Oh wow! That silver-haired judge gave a hug! I thought he stopped at handshakes!" Totally hooked! 😄

• LOL 2
  • Love 13

One thing I dislike about the editing of the show is when they really go overboard trying to show a "gotcha" moment or an opposite thing happening. This week someone said (I think it was Lizzie) that you don't want to put too much gelatin in or else it'll end up gluey. Then there was a quick shot to Giuseppe's gluey caramel because he put too much gelatin in it. That's one example but it happens many times every episode and it's tired, imo.

On 11/9/2021 at 8:32 AM, laredhead said:

He told me that he loves the GBBO because it's calming to watch, and everyone is nice to each other.

Reasons why GBBO was a sanctuary for me last year, during the height of Covid lockdown.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 3
On 11/9/2021 at 5:32 AM, laredhead said:

My son has a high stress job.  He loves action video games, and some cooking shows like Chopped.  He told me that he loves the GBBO because it's calming to watch, and everyone is nice to each other. 

That's part of why I watch it.  You have a bunch of friendly people in a cheery, brightly lit tent in Teletubby Land making fun things to eat while some goofy hosts make jokes and a couple of judges judge them pretty gently for the most part, all the while happy music plays in the background.  Compare that to American competition cooking shows which take place in a windowless studio with harsh lighting and hardcore judging where it feels like a group of employees getting their midyear review by management.  "You're fired!... I mean, chopped!"

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 10
On 11/15/2021 at 10:06 AM, Dobian said:

Compare that to American competition cooking shows which take place in a windowless studio with harsh lighting and hardcore judging where it feels like a group of employees getting their midyear review by management.  "You're fired!... I mean, chopped!"

And every contestant has a sob story! Argh!

Agree with others - what a lovely group of bakers this season.  Would have been a fun group to keep around even after elimination (like they did with the covid lockdown group).  Just genuinely fun, happy people. I really enjoy competitions shows like this when I'm happy with anyone winning!

The Chrystelle dome segment was great television!  And they were ALL so into it! Hilarious, nerve-wracking, and touching. 

Noel is coming into his own as an encourager.

• Love 4
On 11/5/2021 at 2:39 PM, Adiba said:

Yes, I was just being facetious with my comment, lol. I just find it funny that Paul happens to use that term, as I wouldn’t use it ordinarily. However, maybe it’s regional thing? 

Growing up my family often used that term about gluey food so to me it's totally normal! We're from Ohio primarily, if that matters.

On 11/5/2021 at 10:13 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Sigh.  The sugar dome detail was ridiculous and unnecessary. 

As lovely as the humans are this season, seems like a higher number of gimmicky challenges than usual.  They came out of the gate with illusion cakes then 3D biscuit toys and bread sculptures and now glass domes. Not a fan of the forced construction challenges.

On 11/5/2021 at 10:56 PM, Cherpumple said:

Does anyone know what miso caramel tastes like? Cristelle used it multiple times and I can't imagine it.

It's a lot like salted caramel, as miso is pretty salty, with a little more umami undertone.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:29 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

So we're sure the technical was essentially "Make a Twix"?  Because that's where my mind went but then I thought, no, there must be some unique British "biscuit" that I've never heard of before like Jaffa cakes. 

Yeah that seems definite. The reference to "gold wrappers" was the clincher.