Type keyword(s) to search

And Just Like That in the Media

• Start Topic

Unfortunately CN is on The Gilded Age right now and it is with a disappointed heart I have to announce that she is doing a good job 😔

I agree with you- CN is doing a good job on The Gilded Age. Maybe another part of the problem is that CN started getting her two characters mixed up...I could totally see Ada gettin' the vapors for someone like Che. I'm joking...kind of.

This latest CN interview, though. FFS. I'm not bringing anything new to the table here, but just adding my voice to the chorus of disapproval. She's so in the weeds with this that she can't see the bigger picture. You can blame your audience all you want for not being progressive enough, not being able to move on from SATC, etc. but the simple fact remains that the show failed in its execution of this story line. There were a dozen different ways, many of them suggested in this forum, how the show could have told the same story of Miranda's paradigm shift in a way that was both dramatically satisfying and retained the basic tenets of the character. That is not what they did and the results speak for themselves.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

As for what she does regret about And Just Like That…, it’s simple: the messaging. Instead of promising more Sex and the City, Nixon told Vogue she wishes she could have told audiences, “If you’re looking for Sex and the City, you should watch the reruns.” 

What a crazy notion it is to have, thinking if you take the characters, actresses, settings and historical beats from the original series, that it'll be a continuation of said series.

Cynthia wanted to make a new show full stop, but no one cares about her living her personal journey out on screen, so no one was going to fund her living her personal journey out on screen. The only way to make that happen, and to trick people into caring, was to obliterate SATC. And then, apparently, get holier than thou levels of annoyed when the people you knew wanted SATC and didn't care.... wanted SATC and didn't care.

Please just go away and stop talking, Cynthia. Miranda's already been obliterated, can we just leave whatever is left in tatters alone?

• Love 18

As I had said before, a writing professor of mine in college once told the class, if you have to explain your story, you've failed.

Well, Cynthia (and MPK and all involved in the disaster!) has failed. And yet keeps putting her foot in it.

• Love 18
12 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well, Cynthia (and MPK and all involved in the disaster!) has failed. And yet keeps putting her foot in it.

I think she will continue to put  her foot in it. She wants validation that Miranda's  Cynthia's story is worth watching. As @Alice Mudgarden said above nobody cared to see Cynthia's story onscreen.  But Cynthia thought she would be clever and slip into AJLT as Miranda's story.  And then has the gall to think the audience just isn't woke enough to get it.  Hard to believe that one narcissistic woman took down a beloved show but here we are.

• Love 12

And Just Like That...: Here's What's Holding Up That Season 2 Renewal

When it comes to And Just Like That… returning for a second season, the ball is… not in HBO Max’s court?

Asked why the hugely successful Sex and the City revival, which wrapped its inaugural season two weeks ago, has yet to be renewed, HBO and HBO Max’s Chief Content Officer Casey Bloys tells TVLine that he’s waiting on showrunner/EP Michael Patrick King and leading lady/EP Sarah Jessica Parker to make the call.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Asked why the hugely successful Sex and the City revival, which wrapped its inaugural season two weeks ago, has yet to be renewed, HBO and HBO Max’s Chief Content Officer Casey Bloys tells TVLine that he’s waiting on showrunner/EP Michael Patrick King and leading lady/EP Sarah Jessica Parker to make the call.

Anyone wanna bet it's Cynthia Nixon that is the hold up?  I can see her wanting assurances Miranda and Che are still starring in their own rom com.  

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/sexy-and-the-city-author-candace-bushnell-slams-and-just-like-that-1235184202/

From the article:

“I’m really startled by a lot of the decisions made in the reboot,” Bushnell said. “You know, it’s a television product, done with Michael Patrick King and Sarah Jessica Parker, who have both worked with HBO a lot in the past. HBO decided to put this franchise back into their hands for a variety of reasons, and this is what they came up with.”

I guess that is her polite way of saying yeah it sucks.

• Love 21

23 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

“That’s the thing about breakups. Often times there’s one person that is making the breakup happen and the other person who is reluctant,” she said during an appearance on Watch What Happens Life in January. “But I have to say, that person, who’s reluctant, is pretty miserable too, and they’re just not admitting it.”

Me thinks CN told herself that when she broke up with the father of her two oldest children.  

So not only is she fanwanking Miranda's life, she's actually trying to rewrite her own?   

Perhaps that is the pathology behind this entire clusterfuck- she's trying to rewrite her own story in her own mind. 

Honestly, to call fan's reactions "bizarre" just boggles.  

As so many other people have mentioned, she's very defensive about all of this which leads me to believe she is pissed at the reception 'her' story has received. That she feels the criticism on a personal level, that her own 'life story' has been deemed ridiculous or out of character or that we don't give her enough credit for being "brave." 

Ugh, Ugh. Ugh.  

The more she talks the less I like her, and I never liked her very much to begin with.

Anyone wanna bet it's Cynthia Nixon that is the hold up?  I can see her wanting assurances Miranda and Che are still starring in their own rom com. 

Absolutely.   

Maybe they can invite Che to the van Rhijn household and screw up that show as well?

Edited by Pestilentia
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/sexy-and-the-city-author-candace-bushnell-slams-and-just-like-that-1235184202/

From the article:

“I’m really startled by a lot of the decisions made in the reboot,” Bushnell said. “You know, it’s a television product, done with Michael Patrick King and Sarah Jessica Parker, who have both worked with HBO a lot in the past. HBO decided to put this franchise back into their hands for a variety of reasons, and this is what they came up with.”

Ugh, I read this article yesterday and I was like, we're doomed. I had hoped that HBO was on the fence. Of course MPK and SJP will want to do another season. MPK for the ego boost and SJP for the payday. Although I do have to hope that behind the scenes they are disappointed in the fan reception/backlash.

CN really needs to STFU if they don't want what's left of the fan base to be alienated.

Bushnell is probably so disappointed.

I will not watch any subsequent seasons.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

From the article:

Candace Bushnell and Darren Star > Michael Patrick King and Sarah Jessica Parker 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

From the article:

The quote in the Variety article is taken from a longer article, or rather an interview of C. Bushnell in The New Yorker: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/candace-bushnell-is-back-in-the-city which I found well worth reading.

The Carrie of the first two seasons of SATC is much more closely based on Bushnell than I ever knew, and I've been thinking of how more interesting her character could have been had that continued to be the case.

When first hearing about the reboot, I had thought it was going to be based on Bushnell's Is There Still Sex in the City? I haven't read it, but based on some reviews (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45897976-is-there-still-sex-in-the-city), I understand it as having a format relatively similar to that of Sex and the City (the book), only about people in their fifties or more generally middle aged. Can someone who's read it confirm, and would you recommend it?

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, NutMeg said:

The quote in the Variety article is taken from a longer article, or rather an interview of C. Bushnell in The New Yorker: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/candace-bushnell-is-back-in-the-city which I found well worth reading.

The Carrie of the first two seasons of SATC is much more closely based on Bushnell than I ever knew, and I've been thinking of how more interesting her character could have been had that continued to be the case.

When first hearing about the reboot, I had thought it was going to be based on Bushnell's Is There Still Sex in the City? I haven't read it, but based on some reviews (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45897976-is-there-still-sex-in-the-city), I understand it as having a format relatively similar to that of Sex and the City (the book), only about people in their fifties or more generally middle aged. Can someone who's read it confirm, and would you recommend it?

I read it and I enjoyed it.  I am 53 so I was the target audience.   And yes it was about a woman in her 50s who finds herself single.  It is about her and her friends who need to figure out how to be older and still be fabulous.

I thought that was what AJLT was going to be about.  Candace Bushnell should have wrote the scripts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, NutMeg said:

Thanks for sharing this, it was an interesting read. She seems pretty arrogant. I once tried to read Sex and the City, but didn't get very far.

I loved that she said Carrie sleeping with Big when he was married was the turning point where she no longer recognized herself.

Interesting that she wrote a pilot based on Is There Still Sex and the City? Too bad it didn't move forward.

• Love 4

“We’re absolutely a comedy…”

Are you, though?

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

“I feel like people who have been less sanguine about it were really looking for a rehash of the old show,” Nixon says. “If I could do anything differently, I would have made sure we said to people in letters 10 feet tall: This is not Sex and the City. If you’re looking for Sex and the City, you should watch the reruns. This is a new show for this moment and for the moment in these original characters’ lives.”

Except when you look up ‘And Just Like That’ on HBOMax, it bills itself as “the next/new chapter of ‘Sex & The City.’ “

Like, part of me totally gets it.  The show was a ratings and awards bonanza for HBO (I think it was the first cable/premium series to win the Emmy for Best Comedy.,) yet never got the full “this is CHANGING the television landscape” hullaboo as stuff like ‘The Sopranos.’  It’s too female, it’s too flighty, it’s too much about sex.

(Emily Nussbaum’s “Difficult Women” article deep dive on the series in the New Yorker is required reading.)  

On top of that, there was all the criticism that the original series was too myopic (cough, cough, that’s part of its charm, but that’s just me) — where are all the POC?  The non-binary people?  The bisexuals?  The late in life queers?

I think they took all of these criticisms WAY too hard and stomped their foot in the sand - oh, you won’t take us seriously because we’re funny?  Fine, we won’t be funny!  (You expect our new “funny” character to be actually funny!?  The only joke here is the one on you!) 

You want representation?  We will make sure to represent EVERYBODY, often at the expense of developing the main cast’s plotlines.

(Honestly, given the original series and how now Carrie is so flipping rich she can buy and flip multiple homes without a second thought, the boldest thing they could’ve done in AJLT would have been to introduce a character who is legitimately middle-class - which would count as ‘poor’ in this show: “no, Charlotte, I can’t participate in your school’s auction, I have a student loan payment  to make.”  “Okay, great brunch, girls, but I’m unsure as to why we have to split this evenly four ways when you all had mimosas - and Miranda, you opted for the bottomless ones? - and I only had water?”)

They heeded all of the criticism but forgot entirely what people actually liked about the original show and so didn’t include it.

It often gets placed in dumbest quotes ever, but I’m going to quote Alicia Silverstone here:

”I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it’s true lightness.”

The original series came from a place of true lightness — which got it dubbed as too shallow, too female, too frivolous, too much about sex - but it still managed to tackle big issues, just through that lens.  Samantha has cancer!?  That’s terrible, but we’ll still make a joke about it.

I blame the showrunners but also I blame society - back in the classic days of the old Hollywood movies that Big watched in the second movie, romantic comedies were intended and marketed to everybody.  Now, they’re derided as “chick flicks.”  Which is ridiculous, as virtually none of us will ever know what it’s like to save humanity with our laser beam eyes or to hunt down the mercenaries who kidnapped our daughter, but pretty much all of us can relate to falling in and/or out of love.  But somehow that’s an inherently “feminine” and less serious genre.

Edited by Lethallyfab
Cohesion
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

If you wish to read an article, please feel free to link to it here, but do not paste entire articles. Thank you!

Well, I didn't do that, I very deliberately only pasted the part that was relevant to AJLT.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Well, I didn't do that, I only pasted the part that was relevant to AJLT.

I understand, but it was still a significant portion. It has to do with copyright. So, when in doubt, feel free to post the link. Thanks!

• Useful 1
17 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

Except when you look up ‘And Just Like That’ on HBOMax, it bills itself as “the next/new chapter of ‘Sex & The City.’ “

Yep. They want to use SATC to get them attention but when someone says hey this isn't like SATC they say well no it isn't SATC, we have moved away from SATC and if you don't like that then you are part of problem and if you don't like it go kick rocks.

yet never got the full “this is CHANGING the television landscape”

It got that distinction later.  A lot of people didn't see it until it was on home video or ran as reruns on basic cable. And now of course streaming.  It did absolutely change the television landscape.  It showed women having sex and enjoying it.  It was just a couple years before SATC debuted that an NBC exec wanted Friends Monica punished somehow for having sex.  

On top of that, there was all the criticism that the original series was too myopic (cough, cough, that’s part of its charm, but that’s just me) — where are all the POC?  The non-binary people?  The bisexuals?  The late in life queers?

This criticism has been leveled at other shows from that time period and while I understand it I always thought SATC was the story of those particular women.  Maybe they did have a more diverse universe but we just didn't see it.

(Honestly, given the original series and how now Carrie is so flipping rich she can buy and flip multiple homes without a second thought, the boldest thing they could’ve done in AJLT would have been to introduce a character who is legitimately middle-class - which would count as ‘poor’ in this show: “

I think this was a much more valid criticism of SATC and now AJLT.  The only character who ever had money problems was Carrie. And they always seemed to have an easy fix.  Both shows made it appear you can't have a fabulous life unless  you have unlimited funds to buy an incredible wardrobe and live in a great apartment or brownstone.  Truth be told I would rather had seen Big and Carrie divorce or Big gets nailed for some financial thing and his assets are frozen and Carrie has to support herself.  It is something that happens to a lot of women in their 50s.

They heeded all of the criticism but forgot entirely what people actually liked about the original show and so didn’t include it.

They don't seem to understand what people liked about SATC.  For some bizarre reason they seem to think we liked that it was a show about white straight women. And now that it's not just about them we don't like it.  Which is not true. We liked the friendship between those women. I don't think any of us  here had a problem with the women having new friends who just happened to be women of color.  And my only problem with Che wasn't that they were non binary. It wasn't even them being with Miranda. It was how Miranda acted around them. It was Miranda blowing up her life for someone she really doesn't know well and making them the most important persons in her life.

The original series came from a place of true lightness — which got it dubbed as too shallow, too female, too frivolous, too much about sex - but it still managed to tackle big issues, just through that lens.  Samantha has cancer!?  That’s terrible, but we’ll still make a joke about it.

I agree. It was not lightweight at all.  It had some very good writing. It reminds me of that Dolly Parton quote.  "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap".   SATC might have looked like it was just about women in really nice clothes but it was so much more than that.  

But somehow that’s an inherently “feminine” and less serious genre.

I find shows and movies about women are some of the best there is.  And I hate that they are usually dismissed as fluff.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Love 16

I get why they wanted to make it more diverse.  I’m all in favor of diversity in casting.  But if you can’t do it well, it’s insulting the very people you are trying to represent.   Better not to do it at all.  That’s why they say, write what you know.  MPK knows white people.  Bushnell and the original writers obviously did as well.  That was their milieu.  I’m not sure that’s necessarily wrong per se, although all of these updated shows are getting that same criticism.  Perhaps the lack of diversity doesn’t reflect the world today (although arguably it still does in many places).     If you’re going to update it, you’ve got to do it organically and hire writers from different communities.  And it has to make sense within the stories.  It makes very little narrative sense that these characters would suddenly have one Black/brown friend.  But also, even if you make it more diverse, there’s a class issue.  These women are and were privileged.  I didn’t see much class diversity presented, other than perhaps with Che.  Seema, Nya, and LTW are diverse ethnically, but they are virtual clones of the original characters in terms of social class.   Of course, it’s even more unlikely these women would suddenly start spending time with others outside their social class.  Unfortunately, given the state of the country, that social class is not as diverse as it could be.  This is the reality, and this is the conundrum for writers trying to update and diversify a cast of privileged characters.  

Edited by Rebecca berkowit
  • Love 3
On 2/17/2022 at 11:57 AM, NutMeg said:

If this is the case, and given Cynthia Nixon is busy starring in "The Gilded Age", I would suggest they write Miranda and Che off season 2. Have them live happily ever after in LA in their own rom-com. Promote Seema and LTW (possibly Anthony also) to leading roles, give them actual storylines and make them part of the core 4 along with Carrie and Charlotte. "...and just like that, friendships fade, people move away, and new people come into your life". Problem solved!

Edited by Mattipoo
Typo
  • Love 11
On 2/16/2022 at 3:51 PM, Alice Mudgarden said:

What a crazy notion it is to have, thinking if you take the characters, actresses, settings and historical beats from the original series, that it'll be a continuation of said series.

Cynthia wanted to make a new show full stop, but no one cares about her living her personal journey out on screen, so no one was going to fund her living her personal journey out on screen. The only way to make that happen, and to trick people into caring, was to obliterate SATC. And then, apparently, get holier than thou levels of annoyed when the people you knew wanted SATC and didn't care.... wanted SATC and didn't care.

Please just go away and stop talking, Cynthia. Miranda's already been obliterated, can we just leave whatever is left in tatters alone?

And the added bonus that now I just don’t like Cynthia either. Way to go!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I don't think The Gilded Age would be a factor preventing Nixon from being in another season of AJLT. Most of the production of TGA's first season, according to IMDb, was between January and June 2021. AJLT began production that same month, June (starting with the outdoor NYC scenes), and wrapped in December. 

Both shows being for the same network probably makes it even easier to accommodate her.

That isn't to say Miranda-free AJLT would be better or worse...just that the existence of one show doesn't foreclose the possibility of someone being in the other. It's just a matter of scheduling.

• Love 1
On 2/17/2022 at 2:31 PM, Lethallyfab said:

It often gets placed in dumbest quotes ever, but I’m going to quote Alicia Silverstone here:

”I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it’s true lightness.”

I love Clueless and I have never read that quote before. And I think it’s very true. There’s something deep, smart, and universal in that movie. It’s very much centered on the women’s stories. It’s lighthearted but not dim-witted. And it touches A LOT of people… to my surprise even my dad loved it, and he wasn’t one for empty movies. 

And I can see how it’s true for SATC too. It’s about much more than just four women dating and partying. It’s about navigating the world, stumbling and getting up, growing, etc. Sadly so much of that was missing from AJLT because it had so many “points” to hit. It was neither light NOR “heavy” in the good sense. It just kind of thudded. 

• Love 7
On 2/16/2022 at 1:26 AM, Lethallyfab said:

Cynthia Nixon continues to put her foot in her mouth, claims that Miranda has always been this messy.  Among the highlights:

“A feminist show shouldn’t be agitprop, it shouldn’t be propoganda showing women as these sensible, wise, kind, attractive people.”

….

She also claims Miranda has “never been level-headed” which makes me wish I knew how to insert the Sure Jan.GIF.

Oh for crying out loud.  Maybe Nixon needs to go watch some reruns, because she’s clearly forgotten what the Miranda character was like for years.  People liked the character precisely because she had to balance a demanding, level-headed career with the uncertainty of dating in NYC as a modern single woman.  She could be tactless at times but usually because she was being pragmatic when she thought a friend was being unrealistic. 

And it’s “feminist agitprop” to depict female characters as kind or wise?  Um … shouldn’t we all strive to be kind and wise?   On SATC, each of the women were by turns kind to each other, wise, sensible — and often they screwed up or acted immaturely and had to acknowledge that.  Carrie was probably the only “messy” character, whose life seemed chaotic at times, but SATC used to acknowledge that this was not a great thing (the cheating on Aiden, her financial issues, following Alek to Paris without a plan for herself). It wasn’t treated as a “rom com”.

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Oh for crying out loud.  Maybe Nixon needs to go watch some reruns, because she’s clearly forgotten what the Miranda character was like for years.

Cynthia Nixon is seeing SATC through the eyes of the person she is now.  SATC didn't change. She did. 

12 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

It wasn’t treated as a “rom com”.

No it wasn't.  There were plenty of times the characters didn't get their happy ending.  I thought SATC was a pretty good reflection of life for women in their 30s (and 40s).  It showed single women. It showed married women.  It showed childless by choice. It showed an unexpected pregnancy turn into an adored baby. It showed fertility issues.  And did it with laughter and tears.  AJLT didn't even come close to what SATC was.

On 2/19/2022 at 11:24 PM, ivygirl said:

It’s about much more than just four women dating and partying. It’s about navigating the world, stumbling and getting up, growing, etc. Sadly so much of that was missing from AJLT because it had so many “points” to hit. It was neither light NOR “heavy” in the good sense. It just kind of thudded. 

Yes to all of this. SATC never tried to be anything other than a show about four friends and their lives at that particular moment in time.  AJLT tried to be some deep think piece and failed.  I mean it got people thinking but not in the way they intended.  

• Love 10

Well, I came across some SATC eps on E! yesterday morning, so I decided to take CN's advice and try "watching reruns." Some of the scenes I saw were: Carrie and Miranda coming across Steve and Aidan and their new girlfriends sitting out on the sidewalk...Miranda subsequently running into Steve at the Chinese restaurant after going there to confront the poor woman on the phone for laughing...Carrie ruining Natasha's lunch...Carrie and Big falling into the water when meeting for lunch and him rescuing her purse...

I tried blocking out AJLT while watching and it was pretty damn near impossible. Maybe after more time has passed. But as far as I'm concerned, they've ruined the legacy of SATC and these characters. 

And P.S. (as Carrie used to say), Miranda was much more mature and together then than in AJLT.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 2/19/2022 at 11:24 PM, ivygirl said:

I love Clueless and I have never read that quote before. And I think it’s very true. There’s something deep, smart, and universal in that movie. It’s very much centered on the women’s stories. It’s lighthearted but not dim-witted. And it touches A LOT of people… to my surprise even my dad loved it, and he wasn’t one for empty movies. 

It's also based on "Emma" by Jane Austen so just like Alicia said, the brilliance of the movie is making something thought to be deep seem very light and accessible.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 2/16/2022 at 3:49 PM, lamadeleine said:

Maybe another part of the problem is that CN started getting her two characters mixed up...I could totally see Ada gettin' the vapors for someone like Che. I'm joking...kind of.

I'm seeing it too. Ada and Miranda of the last third of AJLT are the same character only separated by time. I wonder if the shooting schedules for the two shows ever overlapped.

Ah...I see in a comment above here (that I missed, sorry) that Nixon played Ada first, then Miranda immediately afterwards. So she slipped into "Ada meets a old boyfriend" mode when she was playing Miranda flirting with Che.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's also based on "Emma" by Jane Austen so just like Alicia said, the brilliance of the movie is making something thought to be deep seem very light and accessible.  

I love Emma! Clueless actually got me started reading Austen. Emma is still my favorite of all the novels I’ve read. And yes, Austen had that same ability to write a “cute” story that speaks to something deeper about life.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mattipoo said:

Take this with several grains of salt, but the Mirror is reporting that Samantha Jones may be recast if there is a season 2. Specifically, they are looking at Chelsea Handler, Kim Basinger, or Annette Bening for the role.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/kim-cattrall-could-replaced-samantha-26300683.amp

This is so dumb.  Add a character if you must, but do not call her Samantha.  

I swear, this team tries so hard to upset the fans and I don't get why.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This is so dumb.  Add a character if you must, but do not call her Samantha.  

I swear, this team tries so hard to upset the fans and I don't get why.

Yeah it's not just we missed Samantha Jones we also missed Kim Cattrall.  

Maybe this team is still smarting from the valid criticism they received for how poorly they wrote our beloved characters so they are going to give viewers a big fuck you.  They seem to think they know so much better than us.  

They already ruined Miranda so maybe Samantha is next on their list to ruin.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

They already ruined Miranda so maybe Samantha is next on their list to ruin.

Agree!  And, although "Steve" (Miranda's husband/ex) is not one of the 4 main characters, why did the writers find it necessary to portray Steve as a hard-of-hearing, asexual, boring partner. The guy is only in his 50's. Poor Steve, still being used and abused by Miranda (and the writers).

• Love 12
12 hours ago, Mattipoo said:

Take this with several grains of salt, but the Mirror is reporting that Samantha Jones may be recast if there is a season 2. Specifically, they are looking at Chelsea Handler, Kim Basinger, or Annette Bening for the role.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/kim-cattrall-could-replaced-samantha-26300683.amp

No. Let Samantha continue to live her best life in London and keep her out of this mess. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Chelsea Handler is too young to portray Samantha and Kim Basinger is too old. I think this is concocted BS. It would certainly be yet another in the long list of reasons why there shouldn't be a Season 2.

I think they are floating this to see how it will be received.  Pretty sure it will go over like a lead balloon. 

• Love 4

Aren’t British tabloid newspapers so notoriously bad that the Daily Mail is called the Daily Fail?  Can any British folks weigh in on the Mirror’s reliability?

But, today I learned that Annette Bening is actually younger than Kim Cattrall.

But, yes, I’m sure that a FOUR-TIME Oscar nominee is just *dying* to make whatever hackneyed sex jokes MPK & company come up with for Samantha 2.0z

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

Candace Bushnell was on The Drew Barrymore Show.  I was shocked by how short her spot was.  Drew asked what she thought about SATC and what it's become over the years.  Candace basically brushed off Drew's question and said, "You know, I'm more than SATC" and then talked about her other projects.  LOL!  Then Drew forced her to read a bunch of dumb shit in the news.  Pretty disappointing.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
4 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

Aren’t British tabloid newspapers so notoriously bad that the Daily Mail is called the Daily Fail?  Can any British folks weigh in on the Mirror’s reliability?

But, today I learned that Annette Bening is actually younger than Kim Cattrall.

But, yes, I’m sure that a FOUR-TIME Oscar nominee is just *dying* to make whatever hackneyed sex jokes MPK & company come up with for Samantha 2.0z

This is not a slam against Annette Bening but she has always looked older than her age.  Not saying she looks old but she has always had a mature look.  And yeah I find it hard to believe she would be interested in a recast role on a show that didn't get the best reviews.  

• Love 6

I can't imagine any successful and established actress taking on a role that the original actress refused to play and the show has been getting extremely mixed reviews ("mixed" being generous).

• Love 7
On 3/1/2022 at 6:11 PM, bluegirl147 said:

This is not a slam against Annette Bening but she has always looked older than her age.  Not saying she looks old but she has always had a mature look

AB is a good actor but she could NEVER replace Kim Cattrell as Samantha.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ivygirl said:

I’m not even that big of a fan of the Samantha character, and even I would be annoyed by New Jan Samantha. 

There are folks here who are much bigger Samantha fans than me too, but I think all of us who are huge SATC fans see them all as beloved characters. And Kim acted the hell out of Samantha. Samantha wasn't my #1 favorite, but Kim made the character hilarious and lovable. It's such a slap in the face to not write Samantha well or recast her. Just have Samantha busy with life in another country or something. People here came up with all sorts of great ideas. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Alice Mudgarden said:

Recasting Samantha is the stupidest thing they could do, so I expect it to happen.

Wouldn't surprise me.  It would get them a ton of media attention and MPK seems to like nothing better than giving interviews telling us how wonderful he is.  I do think think there would be an initial curiosity to see what the new "Samantha" was like but I think there would be such resistance to her it just wouldn't work. 

If the writers can't write good stories without a stunt like this then they need to just stop.  Whatever they were trying to do with season one missed the mark and I don't think they deserve a second chance.  Especially when they won't even acknowledge they missed the mark.

• Love 5