Type keyword(s) to search

And Just Like That in the Media

• Start Topic

I agree with that sentiment.  Somebody tweeted something like "The show is good and you all just hate everything".  I made a list of 27 - yes, 27 - of my favourite shows last year.  So no, I pretty much like EVERYTHING.  I hate this.

• Love 10
41 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I agree with that sentiment.  Somebody tweeted something like "The show is good and you all just hate everything".  I made a list of 27 - yes, 27 - of my favourite shows last year.  So no, I pretty much like EVERYTHING.  I hate this.

Yeah for me to hate this means it's beyond bad.   I put up with a lot from shows I watch.  And I never take it personally. I always think well just because I don't like it doesn't mean other people don't.  I mean I even liked all three seasons of the Dallas reboot. And the Murphy Brown reboot. And the Will & Grace reboot.  And the Veronica Mars reboot (until the last five minutes).  But AJLT didn't want to continue the stories from SATC. They wanted to use the characters to tell these new stories that bear little resemblance to any story that would have been told for those characters.  

And because I can't say it enough, Cynthia Nixon I understand you are happy with who you are and you have found love with your wife but you did not need to have Miranda morph into you.  Next time write a book.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I know we like at least a few of the same shows so I can vouch for this! 😀

• Love 5
13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Because I watched the first couple episodes, and it was so bad, I ran screaming away from it. MPK tearing down the original series didn't help my opinion, and I was DONE.

Same here.  They ruined my beloved characters.  

• Love 4

Really the Miranda outrage is only about the eradication of a beloved character so an actor can have a vanity project.  It's like as if we tuned in in Episode 1 and found out the Carrie has married a movie/Broadway actor, has three kids, bought adjacent brownstones in the Village and combined them, and divides her time between the Village manse and her places in Ireland and the Hamptons.

Edited by yellowjacket
  • LOL 14
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Variety has an interview with MPK in which he says Che is Miranda's liberation.  Blech.

And Steve's liberation is what?  Oh wait no, he gets to be imprisoned in his love for Miranda forever staring at his wedding ring and refusing to take it off.  

• Like 1
  • Love 20

12 hours ago, Alice Mudgarden said:

For the people who aren't watching, if you care to answer

is it because you don't have access to HBO MAX and would watch if you did?

or some other reason like want to remember SATC the way it was?

other?

Thanks in advance :)

Because I watched the first couple episodes, and it was so bad, I ran screaming away from it. MPK tearing down the original series didn't help my opinion, and I was DONE.

I'm with WendyCR72. Except I watched parts of a couple of episodes because I couldn't stomach the whole enchiladas. I'm not against hate-watching a series but I'd rather read comments here than watch. It's just not good on any level. Can I blame it on egos? Hacks? Misguided judgment? Don't care. I assume HBO bought this to goose the app. I care more about some people in YouTube videos than this crew.

• Love 3
On 1/31/2022 at 10:21 AM, luna1122 said:

I’m sure writers and MPK and CN choose not to believe this and prefer to cry Homophobia/transphobia/bigotry, which should indeed be called out, except it’s mostly not the case here. DeLaria can take a seat tho.

That is so insulting to the audience.  We accepted Samantha in a relationship with a woman 20 years ago but they conveniently want to forget that.  Our reaction is not about phobias or prejudice.  I am just so over people blaming other people for their actions by crying prejudice.

13 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

If I had been single and living in a big city I would have lived like Samantha in a heartbeat.  She was having fun.  And looked fabulous while doing it.

For most of the time SATC was airing I was estranged from my husband and given that Samantha's character was supposed to be my age the show and her really resonated with me at the time.  And although I wasn't living in NYC at the time I was in a metro. area with a lot happening and had the time of my life dating.  I had gotten married right out of college so this was like a stage of life I had totally missed.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Variety has an interview with MPK in which he says Che is Miranda's liberation.  Blech.

Liberation from what?  Liberation implies that someone or something was oppressing her.  It certainly wasn't Steve, but they've certainly done their best to try to scapegoat him, for which the fans already hate them.  I mean every time they open their mouths they just switch feet.  They've already made us hate them for what they did to these characters and now they're going to try to spin this as something positive but use terms that imply that she was breaking away from something negative??  I mean it just keeps getting worse.  😖

• Love 11
14 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Yep I will watch if only to see how much worse can things get it.  And if by some miracle it gets better well then I will be here for that.  But I swear to god if Miranda and Che are married and having a baby I am out like I've never been out before.  Miranda's transformation to Cynthia Nixon will be complete.

I pretty much feel as you do.  If they get a second season I will watch anyway if only to see how things go and because I have so much invested in these characters.  I have a strong stomach and have watched other reboots that have been awful plus I watch some pretty heinous reality TV so I can take it.  But even I might have my limits depending on how they handle it.

Lea — there’s a huge difference between hating Che because they’re non-binary and hating Che because being non-binary somehow grants Miranda a magic hall pass to cheat.  It’s not even cheating, really, it’s just Miranda being more evolved!  She wants MORE!  She can’t help it!  She’s never felt this way about anyone!  Ever! It’s transcendental!

This storyline would have looked very different and played out very differently if Miranda had pulled a Steve in the first movie and just had effed some rando dude because she hadn’t had sex in years.  Would that, too, have been considered transcendental?

Miranda ultimately forgave him but at no point was Steve cheating considered him just exercising a hall pass.  Why should Miranda get one?

Edited by Lethallyfab
  • Love 12

I guess I do have a love-hate relationship with this show, because while I feel the writing has been atrocious through most of the series, I feel like TV needs this show because it is healthy to see 50-year old women starring in their own series, and not just in the background like mothers, aunts, friends, etc. I remember when the first pictures and the first episode came out, there was a lot of criticism on how the women look, and the pushback was that maybe it's because we're not just used to seeing more women in their 50s on TV right now. And I did like that the actresses did most of the episodes looking like their real ages and not having them subtract a few years through makeup.

With that said, I have no hope of the series improving with MPK continuing on as a showrunner. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

I guess I do have a love-hate relationship with this show, because while I feel the writing has been atrocious through most of the series, I feel like TV needs this show because it is healthy to see 50-year old women starring in their own series, and not just in the background like mothers, aunts, friends, etc. I remember when the first pictures and the first episode came out, there was a lot of criticism on how the women look, and the pushback was that maybe it's because we're not just used to seeing more women in their 50s on TV right now. And I did like that the actresses did most of the episodes looking like their real ages and not having them subtract a few years through makeup.

With that said, I have no hope of the series improving with MPK continuing on as a showrunner. 

Yes! Say what you want about the Real Housewives franchise, but there aren't a ton of shows where women around that age are the stars.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Yes! Say what you want about the Real Housewives franchise, but there aren't a ton of shows where women around that age are the stars.

Oh I totally agree with you on that.  

1 hour ago, slowpoked said:

You've probably nailed the issue.  MPK cannot continue on and somebody has to control Cynthia Nixon.  But whatever.  The damage is done.  Miranda 1.0 is gone, dead, buried.  Miranda 2.0 is the new reality.  Imagine what happens with Steve next season?  Gotta wonder how David Eigenberg feels, treated almost as badly as the actor who sexually assaulted everyone.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Vulture has an interview with the writers where they discuss the season and their choices.

The main takeaway for me is that these people are idiots who simply don't understand that the biggest problem isn't that people disagree with their choices--it's that the show was so poorly written. Any choice can be justified when written well. Miranda's arc was not. The breakup was not. Che Diaz was not. You idiots.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 17

The attempts at damage control by blaming the audience is only getting worse. Now its not only that we hate nonbinary characters, we also hate female-led casts. This according to the male Chief Content Officer at HBO. 

Let's just ignore the popularity of the original, FEMALE-LED series and that most of the audience is women who lived their 20s, 30s, and 40s with these characters, identified with them, loved them, and were counting the days for this revival to air.

"The “Sex and the City” revival, which premiered in December on HBO Max, has been the subject of passionate discussion (and division) through its 10-episode season, while also becoming the streamer’s most successful original series. The two things are certainly intertwined, said Casey Bloys, the chief content officer at HBO and HBO Max, who told Variety, “In terms of viewership, it’s been phenomenal.”

Bloys didn’t stop there, though. “Criticism of any show is fair game — when you put a show out in the world, people have a reaction, and that’s healthy, and that’s normal,” he said. “Having said that, in my experience, it is shows with all-female led casts — and I’m thinking specifically of ‘Girls’ of ‘Big Little Lies’ and of ‘And Just Like That’ — where there does tend to be a specific level of vitriol leveled against the shows. I’ll leave you to theorize why, but it is something that we’ve noticed.”

Fuck you too, dude. 

Full piece: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/and-just-like-that-finale-spoilers-michael-patrick-king-sarah-jessica-parker-1235170531/?cx_testId=49&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, SailorGirl said:

The attempts at damage control by blaming the audience is only getting worse. Now its not only that we hate nonbinary characters, we also hate female-led casts. This according to the male Chief Content Officer at HBO. 

What he doesn't seem to grasp is that women who watch shows like SITC and AJLT want good stories to be told. Even stories that are at heart escapist fantasies need to have some solid grounding in characterization and plots that make sense (if only in their own universe). The problem with AJLT is that they took a very much loved franchise and characters and twisted them past the point of recognition. We wanted the characters to grow and mature and what we got were spoiled, privileged children who just drift through life and have no real stakes in anything that they do. It's all a fluff fantasy dressed in endless couture while forgetting that what got many of us watching this show were the stories of the women at the heart of the series.

To be blunt, AJLT was an insult to our intelligence. There were a few honest, really good moments in the show but the majority of it was just garbage. Trying to play it that we just didn't want the show to change or that things might not turn out for the characters the way we wanted it's the point. We expected things to change. We just hoped that it would be done in a way that made sense and honored the original show. 

• Like 1
  • Love 21
58 minutes ago, SailorGirl said:

Bloys didn’t stop there, though. “Criticism of any show is fair game — when you put a show out in the world, people have a reaction, and that’s healthy, and that’s normal,” he said. “Having said that, in my experience, it is shows with all-female led casts — and I’m thinking specifically of ‘Girls’ of ‘Big Little Lies’ and of ‘And Just Like That’ — where there does tend to be a specific level of vitriol leveled against the shows. I’ll leave you to theorize why, but it is something that we’ve noticed.”

He has paired the right point with the wrong cause.

Look at where the criticism is coming from. It's not from dude bros who "eww" anything led by women.  The criticism is coming from women.  The criticism is coming from many LGBTQ+ individuals and critics. The criticism is coming from the die hard audience for whom the show was allegedly created.

• Love 18

To MPK, HBO and anyone else involved in the creation of this piece of shit who are bending over backwards trying to explain away the criticism by blaming it on everybody else: The call is coming from inside the house, Dude.  100% of the blame is on all of you for collectively sabotaging the legacy of your own creation. 

• Love 18

In the interest of fairness, do you have thoughts on this think piece? 

https://variety.com/2022/tv/reviews/che-diaz-sara-ramirez-and-just-like-that-1235170127/

It's a defense of the portrayal of Che and it argues the character they play is meant to represent a somewhat off putting NY comedian/podcaster type that's out there.  And that Miranda's arc of throwing everything away is in drawing out aspects of her character that have always been there.

It's an interesting argument and could make for a great series. I just don't think the writers and creators see these characters in the same way.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

To MPK, HBO and anyone else involved in the creation of this piece of shit who are bending over backwards trying to explain away the criticism by blaming it on everybody else: The call is coming from inside the house, Dude.  100% of the blame is on all of you for collectively sabotaging the legacy of your own creation. 

OMG. Yes.

It bugs the shit out of me when I hear this assertion that fans are "too sentimental about the past", "unable to let characters change/move on/be different", blah, blah, blah. I don't consider myself any of those things. I consider myself to be someone who has CONTEXT with these characters and just expected AJLT to move forward with the same care and consideration to these characters as they did in SATC. I had no problem with Miranda "blowing up her life" on paper, but I expected/wanted it to unfold in a way that was messy, glorious, sometimes funny, sometimes infuriating and painful, and always human. What I got was a story line that was sloppily conceived and written with all the corners cut in order to make this life-change happen in a 10 episode arc. What I got was a supposedly life-altering love interest in Che, who from a writing perspective, never transcended beyond "plot device" (and I don't actually fault SR for this- I'm one of those Grey's Anatomy dinosaurs and have seen how believable, layered, and wonderful they are when given good material). So, yes, indeed- the call is coming from inside the house.

• Love 9
23 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

He has paired the right point with the wrong cause.

Look at where the criticism is coming from. It's not from dude bros who "eww" anything led by women.  The criticism is coming from women.  The criticism is coming from many LGBTQ+ individuals and critics. The criticism is coming from the die hard audience for whom the show was allegedly created.

Yes! Will there ever be at least one self-aware person involved on this show who could look inwards and say, "yes, we made some mistakes, and if we have a chance for a S2 we will work on those..."

All of the criticism is the destruction of characters original fans loved - Miranda, Samantha. I don't think anyone ever said "we don't need any more female-led shows."

There's been A LOT of female-led shows that have been successful. SATC, Hot in Cleveland, Big Little Lies, The Morning Show, Dead to Me, etc. All of them successful, and also criticized, for various reasons. But no one saw AJLT and said we don't  need any more female-led shows. Maybe there were doubts of "do we really need to resurrect the characters of SATC after the debacle that is SATC 2?" But that's a totally different issue, and even with that, diehard fans stuck with it to the bitter end.

And personally, even with all of that, I am still hopeful for a 2nd season. Because like I said above, I think it's healthy for people to see women in their 50s be front and center in shows. People need to see women in their 50s on TV shows live their lives, whether it be single, fabulous lives, or married with kids fabulous lives. But just because the writing of the show sucked, doesn't mean we are against it. This is the extreme part that I really hate when it comes to the "woke" stuff. You can't have a fair criticism of anything lest be accused of being against it. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

Fuck you too, dude. 

Full piece: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/and-just-like-that-finale-spoilers-michael-patrick-king-sarah-jessica-parker-1235170531/?cx_testId=49&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

He comes so close to getting it! Maybe it's not we viewers (who, here, tend to lean female) who hate women, but the writers (here, a mix but plenty of testosterone) don't know how to write them? Hasn't this been an issue in Hollywood and literature for like...forever? Men who try to write women and just can't?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

Let's just ignore the popularity of the original, FEMALE-LED series and that most of the audience is women who lived their 20s, 30s, and 40s with these characters, identified with them, loved them, and were counting the days for this revival to air.

Clearly that's EXACTLY what they did and are completely non-apologetic about it.  IMO the reason the viewership has been so high is because of SATC; I'd bet 90% of it is the same audience.  I'm thinking rewatches of SATC are up as well. 

• Love 5

‘And Just Like That': 5 Ways ‘Sex and the City’ Spinoff Went So, So Wrong – and Why Most Reboots Fail

TheWrap critic and ”Sex and the City“ expert Jennifer Keishin Armstrong offers post-op analysis of HBO Max series.

Why introduce all of these new characters if you’re not going to give them real storylines?

Why did our favorite sensible character, Miranda, become such a flibbertigibbet in this iteration?

How did the new character Che Diaz so quickly flip from stealing the show to obliterating it with the sheer tonnage of their memeability?

Why are the now-55-year-old women at the show’s center acting like they’re 85?

Why does Carrie keep texting with the absent Samantha as if Kim Cattrall, who refused to return in her iconic role, might actually show up? (She won’t.)

Why did this outfit, which could only be described as Inspector Gadget But With Makeup Brushes, happen?

And most importantly, what happened to the original’s elegant storytelling, its deft balance of humor and pathos, its graceful way of bringing together disparate plotlines into a well-crafted theme?

Ngapa Reaction GIF

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
7 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Then STOP bringing up Samantha in your show, even via text! Just let the character retire in peace. 😠

Sounds like someone is very aware and doesn't like that a Samantha Jones return would steal all of the spotlight. 

Not to worry, SJP, Kim has been very clear about being done with Samantha Jones. She made the right call in avoiding this And Just Like That mess. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 10
Just now, funnygirl said:

Sounds like someone is very aware and doesn't like that a Samantha Jones return would steal all of the spotlight. 

Not to worry, SJP, Kim has been very clear about being done with Samantha Jones. She made the right call in avoiding this And Just Like That mess, and looks like the smartest one in the group. 

Sounds more like to me someone who is painfully aware of some of the vicious things KC said, not only about the show, but about SJP personally. If I were SJP, I'd have no interest in working with her either.

3 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

Kim is living rent-free in their heads.

I don't think she is. They probably don't think about her much except when they're asked about her in interviews like this. Samantha was such a huge part of this show so it makes sense they'd ask about her - same as if any of the other ladies left. It's not like any of them are randomly inserting KC into conversation.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Sounds more like to me someone who is painfully aware of some of the vicious things KC said, not only about the show, but about SJP personally. If I were SJP, I'd have no interest in working with her either.

I don't think she is. They probably don't think about her much except when they're asked about her in interviews like this. Samantha was such a huge part of this show so it makes sense they'd ask about her - same as if any of the other ladies left. It's not like any of them are randomly inserting KC into conversation.

SJP et. al. can try to rewrite history as 'they don't want to work with KC' but the fact is, they blamed Kim for the third movie dying because of her disinterest. And her disinterest was borne of the toxic environment that existed on the SATC set. Given that SJP made no secret - until it was necessary to do so - of her never-ending love for Chris Noth, predator and known for being drunk on sets? I'm Team Cattrall here. That was a poisonous atmosphere.

Edited by TakomaSnark
  • Love 4
38 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

SJP et. al. can try to rewrite history as 'they don't want to work with KC' but the fact is, they blamed Kim for the third movie dying because of her disinterest. And her disinterest was borne of the toxic environment that existed on the SATC set. Given that SJP made no secret - until it was necessary to do so - of her never-ending love for Chris Noth, predator and known for being drunk on sets? I'm Team Cattrall here. That was a poisonous atmosphere.

It's not rewriting history. She clearly doesn't want to work with them, so why would they want to work with her? And, I think her not wanting to do any more of the show has less to do with a toxic environment and not being happy with the direction of storylines. If KC witnessed any bad behavior on CN's part and said nothing that's on her as much as it is on the other women.  None of us were witness to what it was like behind the scenes. I'm judging them on their public conduct and ever since KC's unnecessary comments to SJP after her relative's death my opinion of her shot way down.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Why did our favorite sensible character, Miranda, become such a flibbertigibbet in this iteration?

It's almost like she's playing the same character as in "The Gilded Age".

4 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Why does Carrie keep texting with the absent Samantha as if Kim Cattrall, who refused to return in her iconic role, might actually show up? (She won’t.)

If I didn't know better I'd think the show was trying to tease the audience for a possible appearance of Kim in a 2nd season.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I think her not wanting to do any more of the show has less to do with a toxic environment and not being happy with the direction of storylines. 

Kim Cattrall literally used the word 'toxic,' and I think it's weird to dismiss her perspective with such a flippant handwave.

I'm judging them on their public conduct

So am I and SJP clearly overstepped her bounds with social media posturing in light of the death of Kim's brother. That was a very public act, and Kim had the right to respond to it publicly.  Or is it only a one way street where Queen Sarah can do no wrong, ever?

• Love 8

Yeah, I have to say, if I had lost a loved one, and a person I really didn't like (who knew how I felt about them) publicly offered condolences the way SJP did, I'd be pissed. Privately, that would be acceptable, but not on social media, It came off as playing to an audience and falsifying what the relationship really was, more about furthering SJP's "brand" as sensitive and caring. I might be at least tempted to clap back the way KC did, too.  

Otherwise, I don't really take a side in SJP/KC. The way it's always looked to me is that Cattrall saw it as a show (or franchise) about four women in New York, and SJP considered herself "front-woman"/first among equals, and Nixon and Davis took SJP's side. It's like every rock band where the lead singer (SJP will be that, for the purposes of this analogy) and the guitarist (Cattrall) had a big rift. 

AJLT is the shitty reunion album/tour. 

Edited by NotMySekrit2Tell
  • Love 21

They want to throw shade at her but simultaneously want Kim back SO BAD that I guess we should be thankful that they haven’t trotted out Kim’s hologram a la Tupac or 

Spoiler

Mark Hamill, whose entire voice in the Star Wars’ shows is the product of an AI called Respeecher.

They keep talking about the beautiful and touching way they found to keep Samantha still a part of the story in AJLT, and I didn't see it that way. It was more like, "See? Samantha the character is a better person than Kim the actress. She took the opportunity of a family death to mend fences."

The Samantha-texting scenes aren't high on the list of things I disliked, but I might have been happier if they had just dropped the Samantha thread after revealing in the premiere that she was living somewhere else and wasn't in contact with the remaining three anymore.  

About SJP and MPK saying they wouldn't welcome her back, I can't tell whether that's really the way they feel or it's Br'er Rabbit reverse psychology. Like, talking in the press about how the door is closed is supposed to make her want to open it a crack.

Honestly, given the quality of the show, she's better off being uninvolved. I can only imagine the awful storyline she'd have been asked to play.

• Love 8
On 12/17/2021 at 9:25 AM, qtpye said:

Supposedly, all the women of color are supposed to be mirrors of the main characters. That is why they called Charlotte’s mommy friend “Black Charlotte”.

Wow.  If this is true, these writers are more patronizing, and less creative, than I thought!  Their criticism was that the show was about four white women, so they just found four women of color to play the same characters?  And thought that solved it?  

• Love 3