Type keyword(s) to search

And Just Like That in the Media

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, millennium said:

That's her talking about who's going to be in it--I was referring to the criticism about the storylines, not casting.

ETA:

Ah, I see your point. 

It's funny that the showrunners and SJP seem to be reacting defensively to the absence of Kim Cattrall.

I think I misread your original post as just an overall defensive  reaction to criticism of the season.

Edited by CeeBeeGee
10 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

What was never made clear was did Che know Miranda had an internship offered to her? Because if she knew and didn't try to talk Miranda out of coming to LA with her then she is just as selfish as Miranda. And if she didn't know then Miranda is keeping secrets from Che.   This is a couple that has no chance of working. 

As I was reminded once, Che is a "they" not a "she".  

I agree with what you're saying, though!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Vulture has had a lot of great ones lately, including this:

The Fundamental Flaw in ‘And Just Like That’:

“On And Just Like That …, a series built around the notion of aging and how the familiar Sex and the City characters, in particular, are handling it, events often seem to be taking place in a strange parallel universe where Carrie and Miranda (and Charlotte, to a much lesser extent) seem either stuck in the past or divorced from their former selves. While Sex and the City acknowledged the anxieties and frustrations of life in one’s 30s, it also made being a woman in her 30s, especially in New York City, look exciting, fun, even glamorous. While the costumes and environs on And Just Like That … are often stunning, the show does not make being in your 50s look fun. Most of the time, it makes you understand even more deeply why Charlotte once wanted to stay 35 forever.”

‘The Winners and Losers of ‘And Just Like That’:

“Winner: Smoking

Smoking — tobacco or pot — is for confident, self-possessed people like Seema and Che. Even people who quit smoking mostly spend their time wishing they were still smoking.

Loser:  Drinking

Drinking too much is bad! You could end up an alcoholic like Miranda, or you could end up barfing on your sad widower date.

Winner:  Unrealistic expectations of alcoholism as an addiction

Great news! You can quit drinking by ordering yourself a book on Amazon and just throwing away all your booze. It’s so weird how people other than Miranda haven’t figured this out!”

‘What Would Samantha Jones Do’:

“On Miranda following Che to Los Angeles

On one hand, Samantha is very much about following your bliss, especially sexually, as well as fixing the things in your life that make you unhappy instead of just complaining about them. On the other, Samantha is fiercely independent, and whether in love or not, she’s not about making your significant other your whole identity, which is exactly what Miranda has been doing with Che. So while Samantha might be happy to see her friend sexually fulfilled, she would have thoughts on Miranda ditching not only her husband, but her career and New York City to follow someone she barely knows, who is a “comic” with questionable comedic skills.

Samantha’s dealt with a lot of fuckboys in her life, so if she heard that Che calls themself “a fucking narcissist” and in a single conversation says they love Miranda but also want nothing traditional, that they are someone who has a podcast with a “woke moment” button and gets up in arms when someone innocently interrupts their “writing time” but is down for hospital pop-ins, Samantha might be the only one willing to stand her ground in telling Miranda that it’s time to get a goddamn grip. Let’s just say that when Miranda explains that she’s dropping her prestigious human-rights internship because she’s “following her heart,” Samantha would have a lot of notes.

On Miranda falling for Che Diaz in the first place:

Oh honey, a comedy concert?”

• LOL 8
  • Love 6

I think Cynthia Nixon was focusing too much on the physical aspect of what would be Miranda's new relationship.   She didn't think "two straight women fumbling around" would look good.  But she thinks getting finger banged in a kitchen does look good?  Miranda had more in depth conversations with Nya than she did with Che.  Her connection with Nya seemed so much more real and based on a mutual respect.   Her connection with Che is based on a physical attraction. At least for Miranda.   I have no idea what Che sees in her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

Vulture has had a lot of great ones lately, including this:

The Fundamental Flaw in ‘And Just Like That’:

“On And Just Like That …, a series built around the notion of aging and how the familiar Sex and the City characters, in particular, are handling it, events often seem to be taking place in a strange parallel universe where Carrie and Miranda (and Charlotte, to a much lesser extent) seem either stuck in the past or divorced from their former selves. While Sex and the City acknowledged the anxieties and frustrations of life in one’s 30s, it also made being a woman in her 30s, especially in New York City, look exciting, fun, even glamorous. While the costumes and environs on And Just Like That … are often stunning, the show does not make being in your 50s look fun. Most of the time, it makes you understand even more deeply why Charlotte once wanted to stay 35 forever.”

This is excellent, Thanks for sharing. It sums it up so well to say this show makes being in ones 50s look so depressing. I think Miranda's sexuality arc might have been somewhat more believable if she had gotten married in her early twenties before having more experiences. By our late 30s, I think most of us who were single at that age knew who we were. Miranda had plenty of sexual experience and a couple of serious relationships before she got married. According to Wikipedia, CN had been with Danny Mozes since she was 22 or 23. Her subsequent relationship with a woman beginning in her late 30s makes more sense to me than Miranda's being into men until age 55 and then falling in lust (I don't think she's in love) with someone non-binary.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

This is excellent, Thanks for sharing. It sums it up so well to say this show makes being in ones 50s look so depressing. I think Miranda's sexuality arc might have been somewhat more believable if she had gotten married in her early twenties before having more experiences. By our late 30s, I think most of us who were single at that age knew who we were. Miranda had plenty of sexual experience and a couple of serious relationships before she got married. According to Wikipedia, CN had been with Danny Mozes since she was 22 or 23. Her subsequent relationship with a woman beginning in her late 30s makes more sense to me than Miranda's being into men until age 55 and then falling in lust (I don't think she's in love) with someone non-binary.

Cynthia wanted her story to be Miranda's and it just didn't work.  I remember reading about her starting a relationship with a woman and eventually marrying her but I didn’t pay attention to any negative response to that. I wonder if that is why we didn't see any onscreen negative response to Miranda and Che.  Like maybe Cynthia Nixon wanted her onscreen relationship to be more accepted.  I also think Cynthia is taking any criticism thrown towards the storyline as criticism thrown towards her real-life relationship.   This all could have been avoided if she would have just let the original storyline stand. 

• Love 10

It would have been incredibly easy to incorporate Che as Carrie's boss, and maybe even new friend, rather than someone Miranda cheated on Steve with (I almost wrote Cynthia).  Back in original SATC Carrie was always going to clubs and partying and meeting people.  (Miranda was never like that.)

I think a poster suggested Che even speaking with Rock, which of course I could see the value of.  Or maybe even Rock going to one of Che's concerts and feeling inspired, or maybe their talk even being offscreen, but the suggestion of guidance being there.   (Instead we get Che giving drugs to Brady?)

Why even pay David Eigenberg to show up and have his character humiliated like this?  So ridiculous.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 12
7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It would have been incredibly easy to incorporate Che as Carrie's boss, and maybe even new friend, rather than someone Miranda cheated on Steve with (I almost wrote Cynthia).  Back in original SATC Carrie was always going to clubs and partying and meeting people.  (Miranda was never like that.)

I think a poster suggested Che even speaking with Rock, which of course I could see the value of.  Or maybe even Rock going to one of Che's concerts and feeling inspired, or maybe their talk even being offscreen, but the suggestion of guidance being there.   (Instead we get Che giving drugs to Brady?)

Why even pay David Eigenberg to show up and have his character humiliated like this?  So ridiculous.

I don’t recall, but did they have ANY interaction between Charlotte/Che or Rock/Che about Rock’s situation?  I thought they were going to; I thought that would be a big part of why the Che character was there.  Weird if they didn’t.  They did use Anthony for that, but still.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

I don’t recall, but did they have ANY interaction between Charlotte/Che or Rock/Che about Rock’s situation?  I thought they were going to; I thought that would be a big part of why the Che character was there.  Weird if they didn’t.  They did use Anthony for that, but still.  

I think they did have a scene but as with most things regarding Che I have mostly forgotten blocked it out.

9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Miranda didn't even like Che at first.  I am convinced they changed the storyline after episode two.  All because it was what Cynthia Nixon wanted.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

If I were Rock's mom (or anyone's mom) I wouldn't let Che get within 100 yards of my kid.

• Love 7

Imagine being Cynthia's wife and knowing that Cynthia destroyed a beloved prestigious HBO franchise all so she could have sex with Sara Ramirez over and over again onscreen 😐😄

I wonder if Cynthia is still interested in becoming governor?  It's much harder to take her seriously now.  I used to think of her as such a respected actor.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10
17 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

If I were Rock's mom (or anyone's mom) I wouldn't let Che get within 100 yards of my kid.

They tried to get us believe that everyone loved Che.  Parents at Charlotte's kid's private school.  People that were at their "comedy" concert.  Suits in Hollywood who offered them a pilot.   I'm not sure there is anyone in real life that crosses so many demographics in popularity.  I mean we are supposed to believe Che is provocative right? Edgy?  I mean I found them unfunny and not someone who inspires me in any way but the show sure wanted us to think they were great.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Imagine being Cynthia's wife and knowing that Cynthia destroyed a beloved prestigious HBO franchise all so she could have sex with Sara Ramirez over and over again onscreen 😐😄

I mean if we see it she has to see it right?  And then add to it what Cynthia has said.  Ouch.

12 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I wonder if Cynthia is still interested in becoming governor?  It's much harder to take her seriously now.  I used to think of her as such a respected actor.  

She started losing me when she ran for mayor.  At first I thought she was just running to draw attention to the issues she was passionate about but then I realized she thought she was qualified.  And then to run for governor?  At some point I think Cynthia starting thinking if she wanted something then by god she was going to get it.    I mean there is positive thinking and then there is delusion.   I will curious if she continues to get hired for A list projects.  I might think twice about hiring someone who was so vocal about wanting to change storylines and scripts.  

Are we placing bets on whether Miranda runs for office in Season 2?

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

They tried to get us believe that everyone loved Che.  Parents at Charlotte's kid's private school.  People that were at their "comedy" concert.  Suits in Hollywood who offered them a pilot.   I'm not sure there is anyone in real life that crosses so many demographics in popularity.  I mean we are supposed to believe Che is provocative right? Edgy?  I mean I found them unfunny and not someone who inspires me in any way but the show sure wanted us to think they were great.

And Che is "going to be the next Roseanne" ? I . . . did not and do not like Roseanne. Not sure why they threw out that comparison as if she is someone to aspire to.

Edited by RedHawk
Corrected misgendering of Che
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

And she's "going to be the next Roseanne" ? I . . . did not and do not like Roseanne. Not sure why they threw out that comparison as if she is someone to aspire to.

Yeah that was a bad comparison.  What would the pilot be? Based on Che's life?  And if it was will there be a Miranda character?  Why didn't they just have them go on tour?

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yeah that was a bad comparison.  What would the pilot be? Based on Che's life?  And if it was will there be a Miranda character?  Why didn't they just have them go on tour?

Or have the story be that a previously filmed pilot had been picked up and Che has to move to L.A. to film x number of episodes? Again it's like the writers think we're all stupid.  Most of us know what a pilot is, and that often they are not picked up, or even if they are, sometimes the show gets cancelled after only a few episodes have aired. Success is not guaranteed, certainly not enough at this stage that Miranda has to give up a prestigious internship and her career plans to sit in Che's audience and watch a pilot being filmed.

How long does it take to film a pilot anyway? Definitely not months, and there's no reason for Che to just hang out in Hollywood waiting for word of whether it's been picked up or not. Clearly Che's life is much more flexible than Miranda's, and maybe Che wants to be based in L.A. and will continue to do standup and shows ("comedy concerts"). Did "non-traditional" Che ask Miranda to live together "permanently" or just hang out for a few weeks? I'm like Miranda, I don't know what's going on! I wish Rabbi Jen had not interrupted Carrie before she could tell Miranda "you're living in a fantasy!"

Edited by RedHawk
More thoughts, spelling
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Miranda has to give up a prestigious internship and her career plans to sit in Che's audience and watch a pilot being filmed.

If this happened on any number of other shows it would be written as OMG what has she done? On SATC when Carrie did a version of this Miranda told her she was making a mistake.  And the audience knew she was making a mistake.  But on AJLT, a show ostensibly about women in their 50s who have lived life and learned a few things we are supposed to cheer Miranda on.  If Miranda was still happily married to Steve and he had an opportunity to franchise the bar in Miami or wherever and he needed to go there to set things up I doubt Miranda would have thought she needed to go with him. And they were married.  But Miranda is throwing away what I'm assuming was a great opportunity to basically be groupie who has at the moment captured Che's attention. If this was some peripheral character doing this I would think what an idiot. But with it being Miranda I think what a fucking idiot. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I mean if we see it she has to see it right?  And then add to it what Cynthia has said.  Ouch.

She started losing me when she ran for mayor.  At first I thought she was just running to draw attention to the issues she was passionate about but then I realized she thought she was qualified.  And then to run for governor?  At some point I think Cynthia starting thinking if she wanted something then by god she was going to get it.    I mean there is positive thinking and then there is delusion.   I will curious if she continues to get hired for A list projects.  I might think twice about hiring someone who was so vocal about wanting to change storylines and scripts.  

Are we placing bets on whether Miranda runs for office in Season 2?

Unfortunately CN is on The Gilded Age right now and it is with a disappointed heart I have to announce that she is doing a good job 😔

I know that A LOT of people sided with Miranda when Carrie went to Paris with Aleks but guess what?  CARRIE WAS SINGLE.  I had no problem with what she was doing.  Miranda had a whole FAMILY she is leaving behind.  Also Carrie was self employed and a WRITER.  Miranda has the internship.  There are  differences here.  I'll always defend what Carrie did.  If they didn't have to have Carrie end up with Big by the end of the show, Carrie's decision to go to Paris would not have been framed as being so outlandish.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Unfortunately CN is on The Gilded Age right now and it is with a disappointed heart I have to announce that she is doing a good job 😔

I know that A LOT of people sided with Miranda when Carrie went to Paris with Aleks but guess what?  CARRIE WAS SINGLE.  I had no problem with what she was doing.  Miranda had a whole FAMILY she is leaving behind.  Also Carrie was self employed and a WRITER.  Miranda has the internship.  There are  differences here.  I'll always defend what Carrie did.  If they didn't have to have Carrie end up with Big by the end of the show, Carrie's decision to go to Paris would not have been framed as being so outlandish.

lol! In all seriousness, I'm glad Cynthia still has it in her to deliver. I always thought she was the best at delivering more emotional work. Everything always seemed really organic with her on SATC. And then Kim was my favorite comedic actress.

Good points! Maybe Carrie shouldn't have made the decision, but the circumstances were indeed entirely different. I can absolutely see Carrie's view of well, my friends all have their own lives here, maybe this is the right move for me for love as a single woman. 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

I still can't get over Miranda being giddy. 

Hee! Hee! They called me Rambo!

Miranda's whole thing in the original series was being jaded, cynical, bitter, and realistic.  Even Miranda highest of the highs in love downplayed EVERYTHING and didn't want any crying, romance, sentiment, or fantasy.  Think of her proposal, wedding, honeymoon.   ANYWayyyyyySSSSS

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10
30 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Miranda's whole thing in the original series was being jaded, cynical, bitter, and realistic.  Even Miranda highest of the highs in love downplayed EVERYTHING and didn't want any crying, romance, sentiment, or fantasy.  Think of her proposal, wedding, honeymoon.   ANYWayyyyyySSSSS

Exactly. She even hated a fuss being made over her having a boy. Now she's instantly in love, thinks she's in a romcom, and shows up uninvited with cookies? Who is this woman and what did she do with Miranda? I get that people can change with time. I have, but it's typically a little process. We didn't get to see Miranda gradually change. It was just boom, never happy with Steve and in love with Che.

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 8

There's nothing "adult" about this romance with Che.  It's not thoughtful, it's not careful, there's no trepidation, anxiety, guilt.  I'm sure a lot of partners leave their spouses for someone else, I'm sure it happens.  But to have it be one of the main protagonists that's never acted like that before.  The writers have to know what would hit them.  

• Love 12

The NYT has an interview with MPK and the other two writers.  My phone won't let me link it.  MPK says viewers don't like Carrie not doing a voice-overs anymore because she isn't  summing up things for us. He is such a smug asshole.  Thinks he knows the audience so well. 

• Love 10
On 2/6/2022 at 1:01 PM, bluegirl147 said:

I also think Cynthia is taking any criticism thrown towards the storyline as criticism thrown towards her real-life relationship. 

What did she think would happen? That NO ONE would make the very thinly veiled connection between her real life and Miranda's story after her apparent lobotomy? I haven't seen anything said about her actual marriage or wife, but she had to have known people were going to see this for what it is. I refuse to believe she's that stupid.

1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

The NYT has an interview with MPK and the other two writers.  My phone won't let me link it.  MPK says viewers don't like Carrie not doing a voice-overs anymore because she isn't  summing up things for us. He is such a smug asshole.  Thinks he knows the audience so well. 

9b134e7d9356b299298d83c2c96606f7.gif

Is that what my problem is? Thank heavens MPK is here to explain it to my simple little brain. I would have been sitting here thinking it was for some other reason, like it doesn't feel like SATC or that layers are missing from the story, but now I can rest easy knowing I no longer have to live in ignorance. Well, ignorance about why I'm too ignorant to see the nuanced storytelling at play here, anyway. Clearly, I shall always be some level of dullard if I don't have others spelling things out for me letter by letter.

Many gracious thank yous, MPK. Namaste.

Edited by Alice Mudgarden
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3
On 2/4/2022 at 12:53 AM, Lethallyfab said:

They want to throw shade at her but simultaneously want Kim back SO BAD.

I don't think they want Kim back.  They probably didn't even want her for the first movie.  It's Samantha they feel they need, though.

It would have been far smarter for them to write Samantha out as her moving elsewhere and explore how hard it is to main even the best of friendships at a distance.  Heck, she could have fallen in love with the President of a small country where she's first lady and super busy.  That way they could have thrown out lines like "oh we keep missing each other." Something bad doesn't need to have happened for things to change. So many friendships are more defined by time, place, circumstance than we realize.

On 2/5/2022 at 8:40 PM, T Summer said:

"Nya was a straight character  and Miranda's a  straight character character... ...and I was like, that doesn't sound very sexy at all. Do you know what I mean?   To women who have gotten to this age and are now just sort of fumbling around. That doesn't seem great.  ..and I was like, why couldn't it be, you know, why  couldn't it be this butch person that you're talking about having for Carrie"

CN also pushed to get Sara Ramirez on the show

There's nothing wrong with Sara.  They did the best they could with what they had.  So I have no issue with CN pushing that casting.

But I think she's so wrong if she thought watching two straight women "fumble around" wouldn't be interesting.  I think it'd be damn interesting.  I can't think of a similar story having been told.  I think it'd be relatable as many of us have had those "am I doing this right?" moments when it comes to intimacy. Even though they'd be more experienced women, people could relate to that.

Instead, it sounds like we ended up getting CN's fantasy as her character was confidently fingered by a butch Che.

The thing is, "living one's truth" is important.  But "living one's truth" starts with being honest about one's truth.  Living one's truth is having an affair and lying to your husband.  Living Miranda's truth would be to go to her husband and say I'm having these feelings and I'm very confused by what they mean..."

Last Thursday, Mario Cantone was on watch what happens live with Patricia Clarkson and his foxiness was brought up by all three of them. (And I guess he did a play naked which at least  of them saw.) So for those of us have noticed how well he aged, we are not alone.

One intriguing bit, it sounds like John Corbett was not asked back for this even though he implied that he would be back.  It feels like there's a story there.  Such a strange thing for JC to do.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3

And the fact that Carrie’s voice-overs contributed a good chunk of the humor to SATC is just…incidental?  I don’t think viewers *need* Carrie’s voiceovers to ‘sum everything up’ for us, but they were an important device to bring together themes, plotlines, grace notes, etc.  

Structure and coherence are not the enemy you think they are, MPK, and thinking that viewers are dumb for enjoying a coherent throughline throughout an episode says more about you than it does about us.

• Like 1
  • Love 12

Cynthia Nixon continues to put her foot in her mouth, claims that Miranda has always been this messy.  Among the highlights:

“A feminist show shouldn’t be agitprop, it shouldn’t be propoganda showing women as these sensible, wise, kind, attractive people.”

I’m sorry fricking ENTIRETY of AJLT was agitprop, the writers took every criticism of the original series to heart and decided to make a show determined to right all those wrongs.  And I’m saying that as a liberal, but it is pretty clear the writers were working to promote a specific agenda and to check certain boxes.

”“I think Miranda is brave, and I think Miranda is charging forward. She doesn’t know where she’s going exactly, but she knows she has to go somewhere.”

Okay, but that “somewhere” IS an exact place, Los Angeles, to be in Che’s bed/arms, which is a place many disagree with (my iPhone initially autocorrected “disagree” as “disgrace,” which I can’t argue with the editorializing.)

She also claims Miranda has “never been level-headed” which makes me wish I knew how to insert the Sure Jan.GIF.

• Love 17
13 hours ago, Jillybean said:

For those who are keeping score, Kim's show just got renewed for a second season. 

No score keeping here, but it's REALLY not a good show either. 

But she does look good. 

CN has lost her damn mind. 

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

Cynthia Nixon continues to put her foot in her mouth, claims that Miranda has always been this messy.  

She really needs to stop talking.

”“I think Miranda is brave, and I think Miranda is charging forward. She doesn’t know where she’s going exactly, but she knows she has to go somewhere.”

She is going where Che is.  That doesn't make Miranda brave.  That makes her wholly dependent on Che for her happiness.  Which is never a good thing.

Also from the article:

“That’s the thing about breakups. Often times there’s one person that is making the breakup happen and the other person who is reluctant,” she said during an appearance on Watch What Happens Life in January. “But I have to say, that person, who’s reluctant, is pretty miserable too, and they’re just not admitting it.”

Me thinks CN told herself that when she broke up with the father of her two oldest children.  

“A feminist show shouldn’t be agitprop, it shouldn’t be propoganda showing women as these sensible, wise, kind, attractive people.”

I don't even understand what she is trying to say.  That SATC was propaganda?  That the four women (including the one she played) weren't flawed? Or is she saying people mistakenly thought it was propaganda?  

Also from the article:

As for what she does regret about And Just Like That…, it’s simple: the messaging. Instead of promising more Sex and the City, Nixon told Vogue she wishes she could have told audiences, “If you’re looking for Sex and the City, you should watch the reruns.” 

And just like that Cynthia Nixon has basically told us fuck you.

1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

Honestly I have thought that for awhile. Even before AJLT.  It's like once she became "her true self" she became the worst of the worst stereotypes of "woke" people.  

1 hour ago, TakomaSnark said:

She's completely unable to separate creative criticism from personal criticism.

It's true. She thinks Miranda is her.

You know what would have worked, Cynthia? A slow burn about Miranda's transformation. You could have kept the drinking, have her realize she was emotionally self-medicating, be honest with Steve about what was going on, end her marriage in a way that's respectful to her spouse and child and in episode ten, step into a new chapter of life. She could have been a visiting prof at Columbia and met Nya as a colleague, and slowly come to realize that they were attracted to each other. You could have done so many things that brought your character to the same realization.

Before AJLT aired a lot of us thought Miranda would follow a similar path to Cynthia's. That she would realize she was attracted to a woman.  And what you described @TakomaSnark would have made perfect sense.  I don't think any of us thought she would 

You made it The Miranda Show by pushing Nya to the side and picking Che out of Carrie's plotlines, sidelining the ostensible star of the show and newcomer Karen Pittman in the process.

Which led to 

it was the journey (boozing, finger-banging, fangirling over a remarkably unfunny 'comic,' blowing up her professional life for an academic life, blowing up her academic life for groupie life, blowing up her decades long marriage for someone she's just met and acting stalkery-like around). 

Any bets on this is either something CN is familiar with or something she wants to do?

If you can't stand the critical heat, stay out of the creative kitchen. 

Yes.  Cynthia Nixon should stay in front of the camera from now on.  Letting her have any sort of creative input was a huge mistake.

• Love 15
49 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Also from the article:

“That’s the thing about breakups. Often times there’s one person that is making the breakup happen and the other person who is reluctant,” she said during an appearance on Watch What Happens Life in January. “But I have to say, that person, who’s reluctant, is pretty miserable too, and they’re just not admitting it.”

Me thinks CN told herself that when she broke up with the father of her two oldest children.  

Probably.  Wanna bet that poor guy is sitting on his hands right now wishing he could respond to all this?  We have "free Steve", we should have "free Danny" too.  I wonder why he doesn't say anything.  Maybe it's for legal reasons or he just doesn't want to get involved.

51 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Also from the article:

As for what she does regret about And Just Like That…, it’s simple: the messaging. Instead of promising more Sex and the City, Nixon told Vogue she wishes she could have told audiences, “If you’re looking for Sex and the City, you should watch the reruns.” 

And just like that Cynthia Nixon has basically told us fuck you.

I don't think anyone expected the reboot to be SATC II, but we certainly didn't expect what we got!  What class A narcissists she and MPK are!  Can't look in the mirror, everything has to be someone else's fault.  Hey Cynthia, if most of the world thinks you're an asshole perhaps it's time to look in the mirror.  I think she is surrounded by too many "yes" people who tell her how wonderful the show is.  What an elitist snob she is.  She thinks they are all the "enlightened" people and we are all the unwashed/unwoke slobs.  Little does she know she's surrounded by similar narcissists and sycophants who will tell her what she wants to hear for their own purposes, not because they really believe it.  To tell the truth I have felt similar about other TV and movie stars for a long time.  The whole culture encourages this kind of situation.

2 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Honestly I have thought that for awhile. Even before AJLT.  It's like once she became "her true self" she became the worst of the worst stereotypes of "woke" people.  

I have thought that for a few years now myself.  Anyone that lives in NY City or NY State and has followed her even loosely might have already come to that conclusion.  She is using this issue to make herself a "champion" but it's really only to flatter her own ego.  That's why she's coming off as "the worst stereotype" of wokeness.  It's ingenuine and to make herself look more enlightened than the rest of us.  Otherwise she wouldn't need to shove it down our throats in a way that's sure to offend us.  And I say that as a very socially/sexually openminded person who was raised that way by progressive parents 50+ years ago before it was even a "thing".  I was hanging out in Greenwich Village in the 1960s and '70s and my parents had friends from all backgrounds and sexual orientations.  So believe me, I take offense at her insinuations!

• Love 18
28 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

She is using this issue to make herself a "champion" but it's really only to flatter her own ego.  That's why she's coming off as "the worst stereotype" of wokeness.  It's ingenuine and to make herself look more enlightened than the rest of us.

Yesterday I heard someone say how can I be woke when I've never been asleep.  And I feel that way.  All this stuff Cynthia Nixon has become "woke" about are things I knew forever.  Most of what she says and does seems performative to me.  She wants to be known as being some activist who cares and knows so much more than anyone else.  I just want to be known as a decent human being who did my best to help make the world a better place. 

34 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Wanna bet that poor guy is sitting on his hands right now wishing he could respond to all this?  We have "free Steve", we should have "free Danny" too.  I wonder why he doesn't say anything.  Maybe it's for legal reasons or he just doesn't want to get involved.

They do share two kids.  Wonder if he signed an NDA as some sort of settlement when they split. They weren't married but they were together for a long time. Or like you said he may just be happy to not be a part of all that.

• Love 10

Yesterday I heard someone say how can I be woke when I've never been asleep.  And I feel that way.  All this stuff Cynthia Nixon has become "woke" about are things I knew forever.  Most of what she says and does seems performative to me.  She wants to be known as being some activist who cares and knows so much more than anyone else.  I just want to be known as a decent human being who did my best to help make the world a better place.

What bugs me about her is that she is so self absorbed that she thinks her own later in life awakening is a lesson the rest of the world and the audience of the show need to learn, as if we were also asleep for 40 years while the world was changing.  I would think she would know better especially about the audience that watched SATC.  For someone that is from Manhattan, grew up in the City, and went to Barnard she should have been more awake most of her life.  It's hard to be that sheltered in NYC unless perhaps you grew up very insulated from the sometimes gritty realities the City presents (it can be the great equalizer).  I can only theorize that she came from the kind of money and/or show business family that allowed that to happen and the people she associates with are unfortunately similarly insulated.  These are people that are so myopic they don't have one clue how people outside their tiny little world think.  It makes me think of that ages old New Yorker Magazine cover showing a map to illustrate the New Yorker's eye view of the world, where New York is HUGE and the rest of the world is this tiny appendage that hangs off of it in the distance!

• Love 12

Wow, CN just sounds like a huge asshole in that article. Telling us to go watch reruns (well, those are ruined for life) because we expected some basic consistency of character? No one expected them to be frozen in time, we just didn't expect them to be entirely different people. When I read that line about those who expected SATC should go watch reruns, I thought, "no, those who want to tell their own stories should start a new series (or show, or podcast), not fuck up one that meant so much to so many."

• Love 15
33 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

Shut up, Cynthia.  The lady doth protest too much, methinks. 

It is wrong to tell someone they are wrong for not liking something.  Cynthia has been in the business pretty much her entire life.  A lot of it in the theater where you can tell pretty quickly if an audience likes what they are seeing.  This attitude she has that AJLT is some meaningful enlightened show is ridiculous.  This show is not groundbreaking.  There aren't going to imitations of it.  I'm sure she is taking the criticism personally because she insisted turning Miranda into Cynthia.  She can defend this garbage all she wants.  She isn't going to change anyone's opinion.  And what makes it worse is all this valid criticism thrown her way isn't going to make her realize maybe what we are saying should be taken into consideration if there is a second season.  She will forever think the audience just didn't get what she was trying to say not realizing we heard her loud and clear and was rejecting it.

• Love 9

CN reminds me of new [insert trend or cause here] who act like they were the first person on earth to discover the concept, and it's up to them to school all the ignorant schmucks who haven't caught on.

Take seat, Cynthia. You're not that special.

• Love 9