Type keyword(s) to search

And Just Like That in the Media

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

https://www.vogue.com/article/the-mysterious-disappearance-of-miranda-hobbes

The Mysterious Disappearance of Miranda Hobbes

What in the name of Sleepless in Seattle has happened to Miranda Hobbes?

Thank you.  That article echoes a lot of what I have thought and has been talked about here on the board.  Sometimes when I read articles posted in media threads I wonder if the authors don't read or even write here.  It could also be that we all just think remarkably alike.

• Love 2

This won't mean much to people who don't watch Saturday Night Live, but one of the Weekend Update hosts is named Michael Che.  Bowen Yang came on as a correspondent and greeted him by saying "Hey Che Diaz!"

Bowen:  Hey Che Diaaazzzzz
Audience:  (hollers and whoops)
Michael:  I told you I don't get that reference.

😆

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This won't mean much to people who don't watch Saturday Night Live, but one of the Weekend Update hosts is named Michael Che.  Bowen Yang came on as a correspondent and greeted him by saying "Hey Che Diaz!"

Bowen:  Hey Che Diaaazzzzz
Audience:  (hollers and whoops)
Michael:  I told you I don't get that reference.

😆

So funny you posted that, I was watching SNL and thought, the only Che I like is Michael Che.   I adore Bowen, he is hilarious. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I guess the Che crappola has just made me cranky.

The funny part to me was that there was some laughter that felt like they didn't know who Che Diaz was and maybe one person "wooting" in the audience.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 1/23/2022 at 7:12 PM, Jillybean said:

The agony and ecstasy of Miranda’s coming out in the 'Sex and the City' reboot

Interesting article with quite a few people offering queer perspectives.

I finally read this and it does feel like they are missing some opportunities.  I love the idea of having Steve and Miranda explore an open marriage and what that all would mean.  Everyone thinks people in open marriages are the Samanthas of the world but there are plenty of  Miranda and Steves in open marriages.  Does it work for them?  what happens if one of them falls in love with their partner?  Do they try polyamory.  Maybe Miranda realizes she's a lesbian and being married to a person of the opposite sex doesn't work for her any longer. 

• Love 7

The Cut is using the word ‘Threatened‘ in terms of giving us a second season, which is apt.  I can NOT get over this quote:

“Another source claimed, “They may feel that they want to prove a point that they can make a second season stronger and that it was valid to bring it back for fans.”

You want to prove a point by making the second season stronger?  Make the first season strong!  Validate the first season!  The call is coming from inside the house!

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Everyone thinks people in open marriages are the Samanthas of the world but there are plenty of Miranda and Steves in open marriages.  Does it work for them?  what happens if one of them falls in love with their partner? 

BTW, that was dealt with on another HBO show recently, with the couple played by Corey Stoll and Nicole Beharie on Scenes from a Marriage. It was exactly their story, but they were just a side dish as friends of the main characters (Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain).

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I finally read this and it does feel like they are missing some opportunities.  I love the idea of having Steve and Miranda explore an open marriage and what that all would mean.  

This would be delicious. It's so common for the person who suggests the open marriage to have all these great ideas and aspirations about all the ass they'll pull, but the partner who reluctantly agreed to it ends up cleaning up in the dating arena. I can totally see Miranda getting flaked on by Che and wanting to come home to the comfort of her ice cream buffet and long-time husband, only to find out he's out with a young new Debbie or Jessica, and she's stuck eating ice cream alone trying not to listen to her teenage son bang his girlfriend.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Not sure if anyone cares, LOL but Cynthia Nixon will be on The Drew Barrymore Show today

A short clip from show and some details here:

(Daily Mail, yes, please don't judge me)

Cynthia Nixon says it was important to ‘fix’ what was wrong with Sex and the City: ‘It was such an overwhelmingly white show’

Nixon told Drew that she 'hand-picked' Ramirez, who is most famous for their Tony winning role in Spamalot and playing Dr. Callie Torres in Grey's Anatomy, for Diaz. 

This is new information to me, but maybe not new.  And not at all surprising at this point because this is The Cynthia Nixon Show that we are watching, starring Cynthia Nixon and supporting cast. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Useful 4
  • Love 7

I liked Miranda in SATC.  I even identified with her a lot.  However never did I once think she should be the focus of the show.  

I think most of us here thought Cynthia Nixon had an agenda with this show and it seems we were right.

• Love 13

I don't mind inclusiveness and diversity. I DO mind the retelling of an actress' ACTUAL LIFE when it does not fit the character. If Ms. Nixon wanted to tell her story, make a biopic.

Instead, she has made many hate a once-favorite character, all in the name of what seems like checking boxes than telling an organic story.

• Love 19
On 1/2/2022 at 9:57 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

Problem with the show is the writers room.  Samantha Irby's humor is different than the humor of Sex and the City.

Plus, she seems bitter and I'm sure secretly is taking out her resentments out on these characters...imho

She really does seem bitter and angry.  Cannot stand her.

• Love 5

I absolutely cannot stand the media (like LA Times) pretending that the criticisms about the show are about race.   I can't bear to watch CN on any talk show because I'm afraid she's going to pretend the criticisms are about race or being "woke" none of which I have any issue with.

'I suggested them because I’ve been aware of them for so long and such a fan,' Nixon said. 'Mike Nichols, I worked with Mike Nichols a bunch of times especially when I was young and he cast Sara in Spamalot, for which they won a Tony. So I was always watching their career and stuff.' 

Cynthia clearly has a crush on Sara which is why Sara was cast and the role was created for them.

That's fine but that doesn't mean that Miranda had to have the same crush on the exact same character for what looks like the exact same reasons.  Cynthia and Miranda are different people.

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 7.25.17 PM.png

This Lea DeLaria headline made me laugh, at least.

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 7.26.42 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9

A lot of actors do vanity projects.  Yes, sure I would want to make a movie about Idris Elba and I being in love.  But I would write it myself! 

IF I HAD SPENT 12 YEARS PLAYING A CHARACTER based on *someone else's writing* I would have to respect that!  Don't artists feel like they owe SOME kind of grace to their fans?  Does she have no thankfulness towards the fans at all?  Why is Cynthia spitting in our faces?  It's just so................I don't know.  I don't have the right word for it.  I can't wrap my mind around it.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I absolutely cannot stand the media (like LA Times) pretending that the criticisms about the show are about race.   I can't bear to watch CN on any talk show because I'm afraid she's going to pretend the criticisms are about race or being "woke" none of which I have any issue with.

Cynthia clearly has a crush on Sara which is why Sara was cast and the role was created for them.

That's fine but that doesn't mean that Miranda had to have the same crush on the exact same character for what looks like the exact same reasons.  Cynthia and Miranda are different people.

Me neither. 

Are there racists who would rather not see minorities? Yes, sadly. I know people who got annoyed by the Bachelor franchise changing. I've literally heard "Black people are only this much of the population, why do we need more black leads. I've lost interest in the show with all the racial stuff."

BUT, has a single person here complained about the show trying to be more inclusive? No. Most of us just find some of the writing cringe and/or not really accurate representations of the characters. 

Spoiler

I always had my criticisms of Miranda, but despite not being the softest, I thought she was kind at heart. I never would have pictured her ending things with Steve as if he were merely her boyfriend of a few months. She helped care for his mother. She forgave him for cheating on her. She was so relieved he wanted to continue their marriage. Now she was never happy and is in love with a person she barely knows? What on earth?

I'd actually love to learn more about nonbinary people because while my family and friend circle is very diverse, I don't have nonbinary family or friends. I think it's great they have a character like Che. I get Che's appeal, and Sara is said to be a talented actor. I'm sure their talent would shine more with better writing. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

A lot of actors do vanity projects.  Yes, sure I would want to make a movie about Idris Elba and I being in love.  But I would write it myself! 

IF I HAD SPENT 12 YEARS PLAYING A CHARACTER based on *someone else's writing* I would have to respect that!  Don't artists feel like they owe SOME kind of grace to their fans?  Does she have no thankfulness towards the fans at all?  Why is Cynthia spitting in our faces?  It's just so................I don't know.  I don't have the right word for it.  I can't wrap my mind around it.  

I think Cynthia thinks the SATC audience must have approved of it being so very white.  I mean why else would it have been such a hit?  I notice she didn't criticize it while it was airing.  But with this reboot she can right the wrongs of the previous show and if the audience doesn't like it then they are part of the problem and Miranda kicking her husband to the curb like he is a bag of trash is the solution apparently.

I had already started to dislike Cynthia even before this show was announced but now I really dislike her.   There is a smugness there now. Like she is the wokest person ever and all the rest of us are just not getting it 

• Love 12

She says in that clip from Drew's show "we were able to save what was so great about the original and fix what was maybe not so great."  HUH?  What exactly was saved from the original?  NOTHING.  It was set on fire like a dumpster.  All in the name of progress for Cynthia, so that she could fix what was "not so great." And even in that clip she starts to say "I was able to ...." and then corrects herself and says "we."  I won't be able to watch The Gilded Age because of her. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I think Cynthia thinks the SATC audience must have approved of it being so very white.  I mean why else would it have been such a hit?  I notice she didn't criticize it while it was airing.  But with this reboot she can right the wrongs of the previous show and if the audience doesn't like it then they are part of the problem and Miranda kicking her husband to the curb like he is a bag of trash is the solution apparently.

I had already started to dislike Cynthia even before this show was announced but now I really dislike her.   There is a smugness there now. Like she is the wokest person ever and all the rest of us are just not getting it 

I think you're right and that unfortunately proves Cynthia ignoring the legions - maybe even millions - of people of colour who absolutely love SATC.  Sure, I wish that all those 90s NYC shows that I grew up on were more diverse.  They weren't, the past is the past, it's done.  Sure, add as many people of colour as you want into AJLT.  Go nuts.  Add even more.  We've been here, all along, loving the show and knowing it's an ultra white show.  The lack of diversity of the men bothered me so much more than the lack of diversity of the main cast.  Whereas there were only 4 women in the main cast, there were HUNDREDS of men they could have cast diversely.  What was the percentage of men in the cast who were white brunette men (and often so mediocre looking, at that?)  85%?  Maybe 90?   Even Skipper and Steve kind of looked the same.  They even had Justin Theroux play TWO DIFFERENT PARTS.  The fucking nerve!  Instead of casting four different Black men they cast one white guy TWICE!!!!!!!!  Instead of casting 1 Asian man they cast one white guy TWICE!!!!!

Anyway, to wrap up this point, Cynthia is not doing a service to fans by inserting her life into this shit.  And to pretend she's more woke than other people ignores that there are people who love SATC who are also marginalized out there but put up with its ignorance anyway.

11 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

I won't be able to watch The Gilded Age because of her. 

I'm sooooooooooooo super pissed she's in it.  I liked the pilot, but dammit.  Why her?!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 14
3 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

She says in that clip from Drew's show "we were able to save what was so great about the original and fix what was maybe not so great."  HUH?  What exactly was saved from the original?  NOTHING.  It was set on fire like a dumpster.  All in the name of progress for Cynthia, so that she could fix what was "not so great." And even in that clip she starts to say "I was able to ...." and then corrects herself and says "we."  I won't be able to watch The Gilded Age because of her. 

Yes she just thinks so highly of herself. 

What was not so great?  There weren't any people of color?  Ok. There were tons of shows from that time that were lacking people of color.  Friends.  Frasier.  Beverly Hills 90210.

I don't understand why she thinks adding the new characters meant they had to ruin the existing characters.

• Love 11

@Ms Blue Jay i agree I think the lack of diversity with men on SATC was the problem.  It is not uncommon for people to be best friends with people who lool like them.  So the four women being white women wasn't a problem for me.  But they almost exclusively dating white men did seem odd.  Especially in NYC.

And in this reboot they added three women of color but they aren't fully fleshed out characters.  Seems like they added them to say look we are being diverse now.

• Love 7

Even the gay men that the women befriended: Stanford, Anthony, even the one episode guy Oliver, WERE ALL WHITE.  EVERY FACE WAS WHITE.  It was like one white gay man's taste was determining the taste of every character on that show.  It was insane.  Everyone was white. If Aidan flirted with a woman, she was white.  If Big had friends or ex-girlfriends, they were white (okay maybe there was a hot non-white model he dated in S1).  It was just insanely overboard how they insisted that so many of the faces on that show be white and look a very particular way, too.  If they want to give Seema an interesting story, let her date someone.  Just please - not someone white!  😄

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

@Ms Blue Jay i agree I think the lack of diversity with men on SATC was the problem.  It is not uncommon for people to be best friends with people who lool like them.  So the four women being white women wasn't a problem for me.  But they almost exclusively dating white men did seem odd.  Especially in NYC.

And in this reboot they added three women of color but they aren't fully fleshed out characters.  Seems like they added them to say look we are being diverse now.

Agree. I don't see four people who are white or the same color and think "must not be down with POC or those who are different from them." But if I see almost every single friend, acquaintance, and man they date is white in a diverse city, not a good look. 

3 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Yes she just thinks so highly of herself. 

What was not so great?  There weren't any people of color?  Ok. There were tons of shows from that time that were lacking people of color.  Friends.  Frasier.  Beverly Hills 90210.

I don't understand why she thinks adding the new characters meant they had to ruin the existing characters.

Honestly, that may be why I didn't bother watching Friends for so many years. When I look at the cast (who may be super lovely), I get reminded of people who cliquish. I've never watched Frasier. I got into 90210 because of the gorgeous Luke Perry. 

• Love 5

CULTURE

A Lament for Steve Brady, Sex and the City’s Last Honorable Man

BY EMMA SPECTER

January 26, 2022

https://www.vogue.com/article/steve-brady-and-just-like-that?utm_source=facebook&utm_social-type=owned&utm_brand=vogue&utm_medium=social&mbid=social_facebook&fbclid=IwAR3B2mJYHR_k4jX3plFoaJRn3Uu1kbssyDqFHEShPxWDdQpauU68Ae92rP0

36 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Agree. I don't see four people who are white or the same color and think "must not be down with POC or those who are different from them." But if I see almost every single friend, acquaintance, and man they date is white in a diverse city, not a good look. 

Honestly, that may be why I didn't bother watching Friends for so many years. When I look at the cast (who may be super lovely), I get reminded of people who cliquish. I've never watched Frasier. I got into 90210 because of the gorgeous Luke Perry. 

I loooooooooove Friends and Frasier.  But yeah, a lot of those 90s shows were not diverse. Seinfeld included.  It was cool that Seinfeld was an ultra Jewish show and people said that there were way more people of colour in the characters' lives than on Friends, but, I don't know.  There's a huge faction of Seinfeld fans that hate Friends so I think it's kind of a BS claim.  Anyway, I really recommend all of those shows but that's what I raised myself on and they definitely all formed my personality.  Will and Grace too.

George and Jerry on "Seinfeld" dated 1 million brunette white women just like all the women on SATC dated 90% brunette white men. Kristin Davis was even one of them!  She's exactly Jerry's type. It was VERY eyeroll-inducing, even at the time.  At least "Friends" was a bit more diverse with who they dated, even early on.  Actually...... Kristin played one of THEIR love interests, too.  LOL.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
On 1/27/2022 at 12:15 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

CULTURE

A Lament for Steve Brady, Sex and the City’s Last Honorable Man

BY EMMA SPECTER

January 26, 2022

https://www.vogue.com/article/steve-brady-and-just-like-that?utm_source=facebook&utm_social-type=owned&utm_brand=vogue&utm_medium=social&mbid=social_facebook&fbclid=IwAR3B2mJYHR_k4jX3plFoaJRn3Uu1kbssyDqFHEShPxWDdQpauU68Ae92rP0

I loooooooooove Friends and Frasier.  But yeah, a lot of those 90s shows were not diverse. Seinfeld included.  It was cool that Seinfeld was an ultra Jewish show and people said that there were way more people of colour in the characters' lives than on Friends, but, I don't know.  There's a huge faction of Seinfeld fans that hate Friends so I think it's kind of a BS claim.  Anyway, I really recommend all of those shows but that's what I raised myself on and they definitely all formed my personality.  Will and Grace too.

George and Jerry on "Seinfeld" all dated 1 million brunette white women just like all the women on SATC dated 90% brunette white men. Kristin Davis was even one of them!  She's exactly Jerry's type. It was VERY eye-rolling, even at the time.  At least "Friends" was a bit more diverse with who they dated, even early on.  Actually...... Kristin played one of THEIR love interests, too.  LOL.

Well, while I agree that Friends (which I also loved) was very white, it did sometimes try. I mean, one of Ross' girlfriends, was Asian-American. And Ross did date a character played by Aisha Tyler late in the series (horrible with remembering her name).

But for being '90s NYC, the show could have done better diversity wise. Still, as said above, what's done is done, and that applies to SATC, as well.

I just wish AJLT allowed the diversity to be natural and not some sort of "crusade". The ham-fisted nature has only hurt this revival.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I think I've finally figured out what AJLT reminds me of. Seeing the cringe clips made it clear. It's an almost-X-rated Afterschool Special, badly written and acted, trying to cram nearly every social issue into one short season.

Diversity on a show should be including various races and ethnicities, sexual orientation and genders, and differently abled. But have them in normal situations, not forced ones! And not check-check-one-of-each all in the same scene! Maybe the problem is that few of the main characters have had normal jobs, like teaching or hospital work or large offices, where most of us pick up friendships along the way that include all types of people.

And (since I'm more into reading about it than watching, so I learned a lot from the cringe clip) what the hell is up with the bad acting? Kristen and Cynthia in particular act like SNL characters doing a parody of a bad commercial, with the exaggerated facial expressions, gestures, and tone of voice. How can anyone identify with, much less like, a bunch of caricatures, especially obscenely rich ones?

Edited by EllenB
  • Love 10

Did anyone watch CN  on Watch What Happens Live on 1/27/22? They took viewer's call in questions

Q. What is your response to viewers of AJLT who say Miranda is becoming a version of Cynthia Nixon?

A. Well, I think the writers take  and introduce things from all of our lives, but Miranda is in the midst of a mid-life crisis... and I am not!

[not exact wording, but as best I can remember it]

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, EllenB said:

And (since I'm more into reading about it than watching, so I learned a lot from the cringe clip) what the hell is up with the bad acting? Kristen and Cynthia in particular act like SNL characters doing a parody of a bad commercial, with the exaggerated facial expressions, gestures, and tone of voice. How can anyone identify with, much less like, a bunch of caricatures, especially obscenely rich ones?

I'm glad you said that.  Everyone is picking apart Kristin's acting, but I think Cynthia is terrible now.  Off the fucking wall terrible.  She's kind of tolerable in scenes without Che, I guess, but, you're right, she's just a caricature now.  It's horrifying.  

I watched "Joe Millionaire" right before this and a bunch of 20 something Instagram influencers fighting over two men, because one of them is a millionaire, were less immature than how Miranda acted in this latest episode.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, T Summer said:

Did anyone watch CN  on Watch What Happens Live on 1/27/22? They took viewer's call in questions

She also got the "Is Che funny" question and CN replied that Miranda thought they were.  The problem with that, of course, is the audience is supposed to think Che is funny too so the lack of funny is a problem.  Now if no one else thought Che was funny except Miranda, this could work.  But Che is supposed to be successful at this.

And the other question that she answered that made me irritated is that she was asked if she understood why people were mad at Miranda for the way she treated Steve.  And her response was that she understood but that's the way it is in a breakup.  There's one person who initiates the breakup and then there's the hesitant party but the hesitant party is equally as miserable.  And that's just not often the case.  So many people who thought they were in happy relationships get blindsided by their spouse leaving. 

And in terms of this show and the story they're telling, that's not Steve. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 8

You know, I used to like Cynthia Nixon as an actress. And I'm not talking just as Miranda. (She has been all over the Law & Order franchise, acting in the Mothership, Criminal Intent, and SVU, the trifecta at the time!)

But her take on all of this has really turned me off of her. And I know that sounds sort of irrational, but it's how I feel. I don't know what happened to her, but there's a level of tone deafness and attitude I just don't like...

• Love 15

Watching CN with Drew Barrymore made my stomach turn.  Both of them are overly impressed with themselves, so fake and phony, so out of touch with real people and what it's like to be one.  And Cynthia is obviously using AJLT to show the world how morally superior and progressive she is now, like she's had this big religious epiphany and is now taking up the crusade to right the wrongs of SATC, which she probably feels she has to do to absolve her guilty conscience and make herself look like the savior of the show and of course, us, the audience. 

Just GAG me. 

This is what happens when a white, rich privileged woman who knows she has a lot to atone for uses her power and influence to take over the focus of an entire TV show for her own personal agenda, and then pats herself on the back for it.  Meanwhile it has nothing to do with anyone else's life, let alone her character's.  She may have lived in a rich, white privileged bubble most of her life, immune and sheltered from the way society was evolving in NYC around her, but that was definitely NOT my experience.  I lived more than half of my life in NYC and she insults me.  Is she completely unaware of how inclusive and sexually progressive most of us have already become?  Is she assuming that everyone in the audience needs to have whatever progressive lesson she thinks she's learned shoved down their throats at this late date, because we, the great unwashed who have not yet ascended to her level of progressiveness need her to show us the way?  Or is this a crusade to convert similarly out of touch privileged white people who have not yet "seen the light"?  But they are not representative of most of the audience of this show who lives in the real world.  This is all about her and for her, and it just goes to show how despite how enlightened she thinks she has become she is STILL completely out of touch with the rest of us.  Now I think I understand the zeal with which she took up her ambitions in other public arenas.  And why after 2018 or so I suddenly had her number.  This is only confirming that for me.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
On 1/27/2022 at 11:18 PM, WendyCR72 said:

You know, I used to like Cynthia Nixon as an actress. And I'm not talking just as Miranda. (She has been all over the Law & Order franchise, acting in the Mothership, Criminal Intent, and SVU, the trifecta at the time!)

But her take on all of this has really turned me off of her. And I know that sounds sort of irrational, but it's how I feel. I don't know what happened to her, but there's a level of tone deafness and attitude I just don't like...

There was an actor named Robert Ryan who mostly played villains in movies, and he did it so well that after awhile, I avoided any movie he was in. So I totally get how difficult it can be to separate the actor from the character(s). Wouldn't you know, I've recently found out that Mr. Ryan was one of the kindest people in Hollywood, and very involved in worthy causes like the Civil Rights movement. Now I feel compelled to watch all his movies so I can apologize!

Edited by EllenB
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, T Summer said:

She also said on that show that she loved and is proud of how they've adressed Samantha not being on AJLT.

I have yet to see a single viewer share that opinion - this board unanimously agrees that it was a condescending and backstabbing mess.

• Love 7

Cynthia Nixon is so committed to her worldview that she is going to dismiss any criticism no matter how valid as ignorance at best and intolerance at worst.

She has definitely blurred (or erased) the line between Cynthia and Miranda.  To the point that no matter what role CN plays n the future it's going to be tough to see her as anyone but CN.

So we have had Cynthia and Kristin talking about the show but not SJP.  She might be busy or she might be distancing herself from this dumpster fire. Can't say I blame her.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Aulty said:

She also said on that show that she loved and is proud of how they've adressed Samantha not being on AJLT.

I have yet to see a single viewer share that opinion - this board unanimously agrees that it was a condescending and backstabbing mess.

Right? Samantha would never

She had plenty of clients before Carrie ever got her little  cupcake party and dusty book jacket!

"I thought I was more than an ATM to her"   🙄delusions of grandeur

and that wouldn't explain her not keeping in touch with Miranda and Charlotte.

• Love 8

And Just Like That… we’ve got a Miranda Hobbes problem

Good perspective from AV Club.

AJLT constantly throws Miranda into the most absurd situations, with all of Nixon’s reactions being played as though she’s completely lost her mind and is starring in a different series, or inhabiting a different plane of existence, than those around her. It’s in the cringe-worthy scenes she has with her professor Dr. Nya Wallace (Karen Pittman), particularly those in which she plays white savior (and, yes, that includes the scene where she saves her from being mugged at a subway stop by someone in a Chucky costume). It’s in the way she treats both her husband Steve (David Eigenberg) and her son Brady (Niall Cunningham) as though they’re a burden she can’t rid herself of quickly enough, especially painful to watch when the show has frequently made Steve’s hearing disability the butt of the joke, even though David Eigenberg, the actor who plays him, has a similar condition. And it’s most obvious in her every single interaction with Che Diaz.

Che is, in fact, the worst. Their introduction instantly rubbed me the wrong way, not just because I am also a non-binary person, but as someone who watches way too much television and knows a bad character when they see one. They are a podcaster and famous comedian, but not a single joke they’ve told on the show has actually been funny. Che’s entire gimmick, from the very moment they introduce themselves on their podcast X, Y, And Me (which is a terrible title and also, coincidentally, the title of IVF Books for Children, per a random Google search), is simply to discuss one of three limited traits: their gender, their sexuality, and weed.

You have to wonder what exactly is going on in the writers’ room that would result in this inability to manage the tone of her character. Has the decision to lean into a certain absurdity and sensational sex with Miranda been an attempt to fill the Samantha Jones void? Has Cynthia Nixon decided to forego separation of character and actress and chosen to morph Miranda into herself? Has Michael Patrick King just committed himself to slowly performing character assassination since the horrendous second film? Whatever it is, the show is at its worst when it focuses on Miranda and Che.

The show is taking itself too seriously when it comes to Miranda, rushing to make her something she never was. Its refusal to acknowledge and interrogate the past is just as key to why all of this feels so wrong, ignoring history for the sake of speeding forward to a new life.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 15