Type keyword(s) to search

And Just Like That in the Media

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The funny thing is - there are soooooo many reboots / revivals / sequel shows / reunions these days.  And I find myself enjoying the majority of them.  How they managed to fuck this up so badly is truly mindblowing.

The new Saved by the Bell, for instance.  Some people would argue it is "Woke".  There is a main character who is trans, and other main characters who are LGBT also.  Well I just love it!  I think it's great.  (The characters are written well, it is funny, the actors are charismatic, the stories and the writing are great.)  I love the original series, and I love the new one.  And actors from the original series were heavily involved.  Unfortunately, it was cancelled after 2 seasons.  It's sad what gets rewarded these days.  Clicks and controversy over quality.

Funny you should bring that up, when I think of my favorite show of all time, it's a toss up between SATC, SBTB, Beverly Hills 90210, and Days of Our Lives. 

I watched Days the longest but had to give it up because 5X a week is a lot. I was constantly behind. SBTB is so cute, but as much as I watched it as a kid, I'm not as into rewatching it as SATC. Plus, SATC is more adult. Ditto 90210. I still LOVE the show, but it's a little more intense, so I prefer SATC for the laughs and feel good vibes. I wasn't super into any of the SATC women's partners, but Dylan McKay had my heart.

It is definitely sad the SBTB reboot was cancelled. :( I completely agree that they handled being more inclusive really well. I like to think most people want more diversity on screen. I don't know what percentage of those who watched the reboot were adults and how many are kids, but it's so important for kids to see people who represent them on screen imo. I don't think any show I watched as a kid or even very young adult had someone transgender or nonbinary. Gay characters were considered to be controversial in the 90s and into the 200s, and many casts were entirely white. 

Reading the article now and Cynthia Nixon is just so horny for Sara Ramirez.  😄

lol Honestly, I get their appeal. Sara has a gorgeous face. I can't imagine Cynthia's wife being thrilled if she has such a crush on a coworker though. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Reading the article now and Cynthia Nixon is just so horny for Sara Ramirez. 

Yep.  CN acts like a groupie for SR.

1 hour ago, funnygirl said:

And she knows what the requirements of a groupie are,” Nixon says. “Which are: you’ve got to look hot for your person who is the celebrity. So I’m looking forward to Miranda’s I’m-with-the-band L.A. look.”

Does she even know what a groupie is?  A groupie isn't the star's girlfriend.  This is the usual definition of a groupie

A groupie is a person whose devotion to a person (usually a celebrity, especially a rock and roll star) approaches the level of fanaticism.

1 hour ago, funnygirl said:

I blame her just as much as MPK for the character assassination of Miranda Hobbes. 

I said that once CN started giving interviews talking about how great it was Miranda was finding herself and blah blah blah.  And now she is giving interviews saying Miranda has always showed signs of being gay.  Jesus fucking Christ Cynthia you are not Miranda.  Miranda is not you.  Whatever you got going on in your personal life can you leave it at the door and just play the role you are being paid to play?  And if I was Cynthia's wife I would seriously start to wonder if my wife was in fact becoming a groupie for Sara Ramirez.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, funnygirl said:

She expects Miranda in Los Angeles to be a “full-on groupie” of Che now, having sacrificed a prestigious internship in order to go there to be with them for the summer.

“And she knows what the requirements of a groupie are,” Nixon says. “Which are: you’ve got to look hot for your person who is the celebrity. So I’m looking forward to Miranda’s I’m-with-the-band L.A. look.”

2861b32caa5a2a7cfee5fb41f8e13daa.gif

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TakomaSnark said:

I didn't think it was possible for my opinion of Cynthia Nixon to sink any lower but here we are.

42 minutes ago, Alice Mudgarden said:

You think you hit the depths and then she pops out to reveal another layer.

It's like she has lost her damn mind.

If Miranda was straight and Che was a man would CN being talking so glowingly about Miranda running off to Hollywood to be a groupie? 

It sounds irrational since I don't know Nixon personally but I have come to despise her. Anytime she opens her mouth what comes out is at best cringey and at worse offensive. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 13
36 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

If Miranda was straight and Che was a man would CN being talking so glowingly about Miranda running off to Hollywood to be a groupie? 

Miranda called Carrie out when she did this with Aleks -going with him to Paris to basically be his groupie!

• Applause 1
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Miranda called Carrie out when she did this with Aleks -going with him to Paris to basically be his groupie!

She was so nasty to Carrie too.  What are you going to do over there?  Eat croissants?  Now who's eating croissants, Miranda?

• Applause 3
  • LOL 7
  • Love 7
On 6/3/2022 at 1:04 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Reading the article now and Cynthia Nixon is just so horny for Sara Ramirez.  😄

That’s what we have been SAYING!!!!!

I echo so many of your (I mean the people in this thread) sentiments here. Che was horribly written, and Miranda was RIDICULOUS!

And what really grinds my gears is that Sara is a GREAT actor. And hot. This could’ve been AMAZING. They deserved better. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12
(edited)

I still haven’t watched the rest of AJLT. But I’m so lost. What did they do to our show? SATC had its cringe moments we all still discuss but it was ours, even the bad, messy, uncomfortable parts. I can’t connect to this. I can’t see how these characters turned out the way they have. 

I also didn’t appreciate MPK’s gaslighting. I have many beloved friends with different pronouns and they think this is garbage too. As noted above, Sara is a great actor and beautiful. It’s all unnecessary. Sara deserves more too. 

Edited by LemonSoda
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

I also didn’t appreciate MPK’s gaslighting.

Not just MPK. I would add Cynthia Nixon to the list.

It's not the audience's fault they gave us something that was so awful.  They had a ready made audience waiting for this.  Now it is true that me and some of my fellow posters had low expectations but I think we all cautiously hoped maybe they would give us something that was worth watching.  I'm tempted to say MPK fell into the trap of wanting to appeal to a different audience and ended up alienating the audience he already had but I'm beginning to think he didn't really think about any audience.  I think he is so full of himself he thought he could make the show he wanted and we would just be happy to have the privilege of seeing it we would think it was great.  And letting CN have so much input was a huge mistake.  

16 hours ago, ivygirl said:
On 6/3/2022 at 1:54 PM, funnygirl said:

So I’m looking forward to Miranda’s I’m-with-the-band-sorta famous comic L.A. look.”

Fixed that for her…

If I was her I would be more concerned with what I'm sure is going to be garbage scripts.  But as long as Miranda is with Che Cynthia is with Sara it's all good.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Now it is true that me and some of my fellow posters had low expectations but I think we all cautiously hoped maybe they would give us something that was worth watching. 

I too had low expectations. I had no idea "they" could go lower than that. But they did.

Not interested in watching season 2: the life and times of Che. Give Che her own show. Che does not belong on this mess of a relaunched show. 

• Applause 3
  • Love 4

https://people.com/tv/and-just-like-that-showrunner-reveals-season-2-storyline-will-include-samantha-character/

More texting probably. As much as I miss Samantha I'm glad she isn't a part of this.  I shudder to think how they would have ruined her.  Aside from the planned Brady sexting thing I'm sure they would have come up with more horrible things to do to Samantha.  

Every time I read an interview with MPK I get such an egotistical asshole vibe.  He is like a mean girl in a gay man's body.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

https://people.com/tv/and-just-like-that-showrunner-reveals-season-2-storyline-will-include-samantha-character/

More texting probably. As much as I miss Samantha I'm glad she isn't a part of this.  I shudder to think how they would have ruined her.  Aside from the planned Brady sexting thing I'm sure they would have come up with more horrible things to do to Samantha.  

Every time I read an interview with MPK I get such an egotistical asshole vibe.  He is like a mean girl in a gay man's body.

They are bringing her back into the show? Not another death please 

Just now, Keywestclubkid said:

They are bringing her back into the show? Not another death please 

This is what MPK said.

Samantha Jones was featured in the first season via text message exchanges with Sarah Jessica Parker's character Carrie Bradshaw. Cattrall, 65, has been vocal in the past about not wanting to return to the franchise, and King previously said that the door isn't open for her return.

However, when he was recently asked if the character of Samantha will reappear in season 2, King responded, "Yes!"

King was hesitant to share much more information about the upcoming season. "It's all so new right now," he explained. "One of my big rules is don't tell things until they're real."

He added, "My goal is to bring all the characters into the mix together, so that they're not so much on separate runways."

I don't for one minute believe Kim is coming back.  So either he is recasting or using a hologram or doing the texting thing and they see each other off camera.  Or he is just flat out lying because I'm sure he is not above that. Considering the interview SJP gave recently once again portraying herself as the wounded party in the estrangement between her and KC I can't see KC agreeing to have anything to do with AJLT.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, bluegirl147 said:

This is what MPK said.

Samantha Jones was featured in the first season via text message exchanges with Sarah Jessica Parker's character Carrie Bradshaw. Cattrall, 65, has been vocal in the past about not wanting to return to the franchise, and King previously said that the door isn't open for her return.

However, when he was recently asked if the character of Samantha will reappear in season 2, King responded, "Yes!"

King was hesitant to share much more information about the upcoming season. "It's all so new right now," he explained. "One of my big rules is don't tell things until they're real."

He added, "My goal is to bring all the characters into the mix together, so that they're not so much on separate runways."

I don't for one minute believe Kim is coming back.  So either he is recasting or using a hologram or doing the texting thing and they see each other off camera.  Or he is just flat out lying because I'm sure he is not above that. Considering the interview SJP gave recently once again portraying herself as the wounded party in the estrangement between her and KC I can't see KC agreeing to have anything to do with AJLT.

They should just do what the conners did and ignore her character (which this being about ALL 4 of them makes it more difficult) because what they have been doing is just super disrespectful to the character anyway. Just leave Samantha alone don’t they have the other 3 girls to shit on more ? 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Keywestclubkid said:

They should just do what the conners did and ignore her character (which this being about ALL 4 of them makes it more difficult) because what they have been doing is just super disrespectful to the character anyway. Just leave Samantha alone don’t they have the other 3 girls to shit on more ? 

I have such a low opinion of MPK and SJP I think they keep Samantha in the conversation just to be petty.  They know fans love her and Kim Cattrall and they know if they keep talking about her fans will keep hoping she comes back and they (MPK & SJP) probably think her not wanting to makes her the villain.  As much as I love Samantha I would rather not see her in this. As you said @Keywestclubkid let them continue to dismantle the other three.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

I have such a low opinion of MPK and SJP I think they keep Samantha in the conversation just to be petty.  They know fans love her and Kim Cattrall and they know if they keep talking about her fans will keep hoping she comes back and they (MPK & SJP) probably think her not wanting to makes her the villain.  As much as I love Samantha I would rather not see her in this. As you said @Keywestclubkid let them continue to dismantle the other three.

I think most fans, even though we all miss Samantha, are in agreement that Kim is better off not being a part of this garbage revival. It's bad. Not ironically, not subjectively. It's bad compared to the original. It's try-hard. It's disingenuous. It's something that should've stayed an idea and never had seen the light of day. 

We're definitely not seeing Kim. MPK is either being a troll, again, or it will be mentions of Samantha "I talked to Samantha" "Samantha called" "Samantha's doing *insert fabulous thing here*". Something basic like that. But I agree that they should just stop mentioning her. She's alive and well and not in NY, that's enough. 

I did see somewhere that they are starting production in the Fall and season 2 will air Summer 2023. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

MPK continues his reign of terror, reveals everyone was drunk while writing Samantha and Carrie’s reconciliation:

“It’s very funny, because every single one of the writers has a different version of what happened during that conversation,” King said. “So, I think there was some Champagne. I think there was a grownup back and forth, and a love affair that they realized that something’s more important than being afraid to heal.”

This is not a love affair!  Friends fall out with each other due to extenuating circumstances all the time!  Stop saying that their love affair is so intense that they HAD to reconcile.  I would say that the only grown-up her is Sam but they wanted to assassinate her character too.   Ugh.  

“To me, they had a great night and things became resolved,” he added. “Once Carrie let go of an old, old love,one of her current loves came back in.”

Like, I hate to predict future plotlines, but, based on the actual characters and their history, that is decidedly not what happened/happens with this relationship.  

I do not get this.  I do not.  Like, both Kim and SJP’s recent comments indicate that, like Taylor Swift, they are never ever getting back together.  Would I like it to be different?  Yes.  Is it going to be?  Absolutely not.  But it is just further character assassination to be all “Samantha and Carrie are fine!  They had a magical night where they solved all their problems!  They’re besties again!”  Well, they’re not.  You can’t make Sam a bestie unless you’re going to include her on-screen, which we all know can’t happen.  Just let her live off-screen.

Edited by Lethallyfab
  • Love 3

It's not unusual for people to drift out of each other's lives.  It happens.  I don't know why MPK doesn't get this (more likely doesn't care).  The ship has sailed already.  Leave it alone.

• Love 1

I assume he can't let it go because, though he'd never admit it, he knows what Samantha, and thus Kim, mean to the show. He's fully aware of her value, but to acknowledge it would be to acknowledge a whole host of other things, and that we simply cannot have happen.

• Love 7

The thing that I really hate is the one foot in, one foot out approach.  You can write all the texts you want for an off-screen character you want but that doesn’t change the fact that Kim is never going to appear on-screen again.  Just put both feet out.  Because that’s the reality of it.  (Sidenote: SJP’s recent “no one else has ever said a negative word about me ever” interviews are laughable.)  Like, is MPK a teenage girl during their first break-up?  You have to accept the fact that they’re gone, dude.  Wanting it both ways at this point seems both sad and obsessive.

I also hate this because an actor leaving due to a contract dispute or other extenuating circumstances happens ALL THE FRICKING TIME on television and most of those shows where it had happened still managed to move on rather than “let’s talk constantly about the missing character and pretend the character will still appear!”

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Lethallyfab said:

I also hate this because an actor leaving due to a contract dispute or other extenuating circumstances happens ALL THE FRICKING TIME on television and most of those shows where it had happened still managed to move on rather than “let’s talk constantly about the missing character and pretend the character will still appear!”

Well, despite Cynthia Nixon's massively obtuse ego and Michael Patrick King's phenomenal entitlement and arrogance, a part of me wonders if they still use the (unlikely!) reappearance of Samantha as a carrot, because - deep down - they know a good chunk of fans find this series to be unbearable shit and want to keep them watching out of some sense of desperation, trying to hoodwink them into believing a miracle will occur and Kim Cattrall will return and/or this awful show will somehow become as beloved as Sex and The City (to which I reiterate, HELL NO! It won't...) and try to prove us naysayers wrong.

• Love 4
(edited)
21 hours ago, MaggieG said:

This is what MPK wanted.  To get everyone talking about AJLT.

17 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Poor Kim.  The people involved this show, well basically MPK and SJP, are so obsessed with her to the point of creepiness.   SJP especially needs to let it go.

Kim played the hell out of Samantha.  It's because of her Samantha was as great as she was.  In another actress's hands she could/would have become a caricature.  Though neither MPK or SJP would admit it they know KC was responsible for much of SATC's success.  And her absence from AJLT is one of the reasons it has failed to live up to it's predecessor.  And since they can't have Samantha back in the flesh they will just keep dropping her name and showing her texts.  I thought season one was a raging dumpster fire but with MPK saying more focus will be on Che and Cynthia Nixon talking about her "groupie" wardrobe I'm beginning to suspect season two is going to be a a raging house fire.

9 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

Because that’s the reality of it.  (Sidenote: SJP’s recent “no one else has ever said a negative word about me ever” interviews are laughable.)  Like, is MPK a teenage girl during their first break-up?  You have to accept the fact that they’re gone, dude.

MPK and SJP both act clueless as to why Kim doesn't want to return.  They both need to look in the mirror and accept that they are the problem.

7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well, despite Cynthia Nixon's massively obtuse ego and Michael Patrick King's phenomenal entitlement and arrogance, a part of me wonders if they still use the (unlikely!) reappearance of Samantha as a carrot, because - deep down - they know a good chunk of fans find this series to be unbearable shit and want to keep them watching out of some sense of desperation, trying to hoodwink them into believing a miracle will occur and Kim Cattrall will return and/or this awful show will somehow become as beloved as Sex and The City (to which I reiterate, HELL NO! It won't...) and try to prove us naysayers wrong.

There might be fans who don't follow entertainment news who are unaware that Kim Cattrall has made it perfectly clear she will never put on Samantha's high heels again.  I'm sure that is who MPK was playing to when he says "Samantha" will return.  

So far we have heard MPK talk about Che (and tangentially Miranda) and Samantha with regards to season two. Nothing about Carrie or Charlotte.  This show is going to be so bad.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Love 9

I’m another one who does not want more Miranda and Che! They ruined the reboot. I can’t think of anything less interesting than watching Miranda be a groupie for Che. I wish the writers would just write them off the series altogether. 

Team Kim! She is fabulous. The show really suffers without her.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
On 6/7/2022 at 7:41 AM, bluegirl147 said:

Not just MPK. I would add Cynthia Nixon to the list.

It's not the audience's fault they gave us something that was so awful.  They had a ready made audience waiting for this.  Now it is true that me and some of my fellow posters had low expectations but I think we all cautiously hoped maybe they would give us something that was worth watching.  I'm tempted to say MPK fell into the trap of wanting to appeal to a different audience and ended up alienating the audience he already had but I'm beginning to think he didn't really think about any audience.  I think he is so full of himself he thought he could make the show he wanted and we would just be happy to have the privilege of seeing it we would think it was great.  And letting CN have so much input was a huge mistake.  

If I was her I would be more concerned with what I'm sure is going to be garbage scripts.  But as long as Miranda is with Che Cynthia is with Sara it's all good.

This! One million percent. He thought he could make the show he wanted and it’s a privilege for us to be watching it. Ugh. 

I still haven’t finished watching. 

• Love 2
Just now, Alice Mudgarden said:

If you're anything like me, you haven't completed the season/series, but you're definitely finished watching.

I believe I am. I can’t bring myself to press play 

• Hugs 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Alice Mudgarden said:

I love the new reactions because it has allowed me to send you a hug in sympathy and solidarity.

Me too! Hugs back! 
The sad part is I can’t even remember if I made it to or through episode 4. 

• Love 2

I just binged the entirety of the ‘Queer as Folk’ reboot and, unsurprisingly, Kim is a stand-out in it and has a show-stopping turn of singing ‘Maybe This Time’ from Cabaret at an open mic night.  (Which I unfortunately can’t find on YouTube.). There were a lot of very Samantha moments in the show and a lot of ‘what the hell is she doing’ moments but Kim managed to tackle them with aplomb.  

I think AJLT *has* to admit to themselves that Kim keeps saying “I’m happy to keep telling dick jokes, I’m just tired of telling yours.”   Sign up for all the shows you can, my darling.

SATC popularized the phrase, “(s)he’s just not that into you” and yet MPK refuses to acknowledge it.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 6/14/2022 at 2:05 PM, LemonSoda said:

I still haven’t finished watching. 

If it wasn't for this forum and the solidarity among us about how awful this show is I doubt I would have kept watching.  I get so much more pleasure reading the comments here talking about it than I do by watching it.

14 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

I think AJLT *has* to admit to themselves that Kim keeps saying “I’m happy to keep telling dick jokes, I’m just tired of telling yours.”   Sign up for all the shows you can, my darling.

I think MPK (and most likely SJP) will always think Kim was the problem.  If she had just fallen in line and come back and blah blah blah.  Kim's life wasn't defined by SATC.  I think SJP leaned into SATC defining her life.  With few exceptions any role she played after the start of SATC she always seemed to being playing a version of Carrie.  And now we have Cynthia Nixon blurring the lines between Miranda and herself.  If I was Kristin Davis I would just show up do my work and be done with it.  AJLT is not going to be remembered fondly.  

14 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

SATC popularized the phrase, “(s)he’s just not that into you” and yet MPK refuses to acknowledge it.  

If the second season is as bad aa the first season audiences are going to say they just aren't that into you.

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

If it wasn't for this forum and the solidarity among us about how awful this show is I doubt I would have kept watching.  I get so much more pleasure reading the comments here talking about it than I do by watching it.

I’m beginning to wonder how many shows I’ve actually liked within the last 20 years because this has made me realize in multiple instances I’ve loved discussing it on these forums more than I’ve watched a lot of shows. I spent more time on here and Twop. I love everyone’s company. 

For some reason it’s not allowing me to post under this? But this is honestly what I find so offensive. They could’ve created a not the same but still super enjoyable show. Instead they created something many of us couldn’t sit through. 

9 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

The show wouldn't ever be quite the same without Kim/Samantha, but they could have still made a wonderful show. It's not Kim's fault the writing left so much to be desired. 

Edited by LemonSoda
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

They could’ve created a not the same but still super enjoyable show. Instead they created something many of us couldn’t sit through. 

A lot of us here in the anticipation thread came up with some really good ideas for the show. Don't remember any of us imagining Miranda falling in love with a non binary comic. We might have hypothesized Miranda realizing she was gay. So if she had fallen in love with her professor I would  have bought into that. We knew Carrie would end up single somehow.  They kept Charlotte and Harry happy so that wasn't a surprise.  I wonder if MPK wrote something with a lot of the plotlines from AJLT and nobody bought it so he just changed the characters to the SATC characters. 

41 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

I’m beginning to wonder how many shows I’ve actually liked within the last 20 years because this has made me realize in multiple instances I’ve loved discussing it on these forums more than I’ve watched a lot of shows. I spent more time on here and Twop. I love everyone’s company. 

I binge watch a lot of shows months sometimes years after they have aired but I will still come to this board and read comments about them.  For me this is the new watercooler.  Back in the day when I was in school or had certain jobs so many of us would talk about the latest episode of whatever we were watching.  I remember Melrose Place and OMG did you see what Kimberly did last night.  And then a few years later my husband came home one day and said people at work were talking about the Practice and a head in the freezer. I might give up AJLT but I will never give up this forum.  

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

A lot of us here in the anticipation thread came up with some really good ideas for the show. Don't remember any of us imagining Miranda falling in love with a non binary comic. We might have hypothesized Miranda realizing she was gay. So if she had fallen in love with her professor I would  have bought into that. We knew Carrie would end up single somehow.  They kept Charlotte and Harry happy so that wasn't a surprise.  I wonder if MPK wrote something with a lot of the plotlines from AJLT and nobody bought it so he just changed the characters to the SATC characters. 

I binge watch a lot of shows months sometimes years after they have aired but I will still come to this board and read comments about them.  For me this is the new watercooler.  Back in the day when I was in school or had certain jobs so many of us would talk about the latest episode of whatever we were watching.  I remember Melrose Place and OMG did you see what Kimberly did last night.  And then a few years later my husband came home one day and said people at work were talking about the Practice and a head in the freezer. I might give up AJLT but I will never give up this forum.  

I’m curious if this is what happened. Or after hearing what he planned for the characters, CN wanted more input. 

Me too! I’m discovering many series for the first time or re-watching things as an adult when time permits. 

• Love 1

https://people.com/tv/cynthia-nixon-shares-what-wife-christine-marinoni-thought-of-and-just-like-that-che-diaz-sex-scene/

I didn't find that scene hot at all but different strokes and all that.

Does anyone else find it odd that it's only Cynthia Nixon continuing to talk about the first season of AJLT?  Is it that nobody is asking SJP or Kristin Davis for interviews or are they being asked and declining the request?

If you had told me Miranda would take over the new show I would have said you were crazy.  And yet here we are with Cynthia Nixon seemingly talking about Miranda's  Cynthia's life to anyone who will listen. 

The second season is going to be even worse than the first season and I swear I'm only going to be able to watch it because I know I can come here and commiserate with all of you.  

• Like 5
9 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

The second season is going to be even worse than the first season and I swear I'm only going to be able to watch it because I know I can come here and commiserate with all of you.  

I'm impressed with your fortitude for willingly being able to watch another season of this shit. I didn't even finish Season 1, and there is no way on God's green earth I will watch this upcoming frightfest, but I'll be here to read the snark, because I'm warped like that!

This board is 1,000% more entertaining than this show could ever hope to be!

• Love 9

Ooh! Ooh! I think I've got it! Samantha will now be played by someone who looks nothing like Kim, and it will be passed off as massive plastic surgery. OR, Samantha will have transitioned and is now Sam, and will be played by a male actor.

Whatcha think?

• LOL 1

Bottom line:  I won’t be watching.  The only way to get through to these knuckleheads that this isn’t the legacy of the show is to outright shun it.  Don’t write about it; don’t talk about it; don’t have anything to do with it.

These two nincompoops, MPK and SJP, have destroyed something we all held dear.  I am damned if I am going to reward them with five more seconds of my life.

• Love 8

Today is the Discovery+ 2Q earning call. CEO David Zaslav is expected to gut a good deal of HBO Max's original content.

The three-month-old streaming conglomerate, which is set to report its first quarterly earnings since the $43 billion merger, plans to lay off 70% of its development business, according to The Wrap, which cited "multiple insiders."

The news has fueled speculation when it comes to the future of HBO Max with sources telling The Wrap that CEO David Zaslav, known for his cost-cutting leadership style, will announce a major restructuring to both HBO Max and Discovery+ either during the earnings results or soon after.

The outlet explained that the move "will result in a gutting of HBO Max, significant layoffs for its executives and staff to minimize redundancies with HBO and a combined streaming service with Discovery+."

There will also be a harder line between scripted and non-scripted content, the source claims.

SJP and the SATC brand are HBO royalty that could survive by moving back 'home' to HBO proper but even so, the budget for AJLT is bonkers. $30 million alone just for the salaries of the three leads over ten episodes. Last spring, Zaslav put the cap for HBO Max original content at $35 million, which seems to spell doom for the show surviving at Max but the question will be if he's willing to save it unequivocally with a lateral move back to the HBO mothership or if budget cuts would still be demanded in exchange for giving it a reprieve - and more importantly, if SJP et. al. would be willing to continue on if they were paid far less over ten episodes. The movie budgets for just two-ish hour installments were $65 million and $100 million respectively, so one assumes ten episodes of luxury lifestyle porn fell between those numbers.

That's a lot of dough to drop on a critically reviled hate watch that has been completely ignored by major awards.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 6

No announcements but certainly a lot of implied takeaways. The first one that jumped out at me was insisting, unlike their predecessors, they would not be 'overpaying and overinvesting' in original content.

These two slides say so much.

FZWIlzuUUAEy-Qh.jpg

AJLT isn't a franchise (putting it there would have been a vote of confidence, IMO) but something called the '90 Day Fiancé Universe' is. OG SATC is an iconic series, like Friends and TBBT.

FZWF-DjVUAEKpGp.jpg

HBO Max skews male? AJLT, Hacks, Julia, Minx? If they believe this breakdown, then they think the way to draw more women to HBO Max is crappy reality programming, like what's on D+.

Edited by TakomaSnark
Clarity
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3