Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Desperate Times

jewel21
  • Start Topic

The 118 springs into action when a city-wide blackout and a record heatwave causes mayhem in Los Angeles. Meanwhile, Chimney confides in Hen about Maddie's condition and Athena's worst nightmare comes true.

Airdate: 09/27/2021

So Lou lives to see another day? I guess Sasha Roiz is saved at least for the moment. Can't say I'm sorry the lawyer isn't though.

Really not sure of the unsatisfactory explanation of 4 or 5 days going by before anyone noticed he was gone. That was just weird. Like no one was wondering why he didn't show up to work? And really, Athena didn't realize she was a target because she was a victim too?

I liked the neighborhood pulling together to save the boy on the ventilator. 

Maddie clearly is not well enough to take care of Jee-Yun on her own. I hope that gets addressed.

This Hudson guy is evil as hell for kidnapping Harry.

• Love 9

Okay, I had to laugh at the whole alpaca attack (even though I had heard that they could be mean). I know someone who raises alpacas.  I wonder if she watches this show?  To add to the whole scene, it sounded a lot like a few bars of the 'Jaws' soundtrack was playing when Hen was trying lead the alpaca away (not the well-known 'Jaws' theme, but background music from the movie) and Hen's 'Clever girl' when the other raptor (excuse me, alpaca) came in from the side. 

Some good quotes, too.

'You're on animal control.' 'What am I supposed to do?' 'Any animal makes a move, you control it.' 

and:

'You know a lot about alpacas.' 'Well, we were gonna get one.' 'It bit my ear off!!!' 'I wouldn't.' 'Not gonna.'

• Love 8

I had a good laugh at the alpaca attack. At one point, it looked like they put the alpaca on some sort of skateboard, it was gliding toward Bobby and Hen.

No way people didn't notice Lou's absence for FIVE days and didn't try to find him. That was unbelievable. Even with a crisis, they would have actually been concerned, especially with the emergencies they were having. But I'm glad Lou survived.

Athena and Bobby and Michael are not gonna be happy with Harry being kidnapped. Hudson better be afraid because he is not getting out of this.

Poor Maddie. She's NOT doing well. With how she accidentally dozed off while bathing Jee-Yun, no way her doctor wouldn't have called for concern right off the bat. 

I will say, the scene with the neighbours helping the boy on the ventilator was very sweet.

As for Eddie, it does confirm that his panic attacks stem from his relationship with Ana, which probably is leading to a break-up. I mean, we didn't need to have Eddie get so dramatic over Ana. They really could have casually broken up off-screen...but I guess this gives Eddie a good plot for these first few episodes. And of course Buck is overly concerned, maybe a little more than a normal friend would be.

• Love 11

Am I just too cynical? Five days without power and people were calmly partying?

Weren't we all near rioting last year over toilet paper? But Los Angelans with no AC aren't gunning each other down in the streets for sips of water?

Also there was a real lack of concern about zoo animals like rhinos and elephants being loose. 

Main plot of psychorapist childsnatching? Meh. Seems like a really dumb move when you had a five day headstart to escape. Also, why not kidnap a little sooner? Why wait five days?

• Love 13

The thing about psychos is that they don't make rational decisions. He wants to hurt Athena. Period. That said, it's my least favorite plotline on the show.

Note to self: if I ever wind up on a vent, make sure I have a generator and solar panels also.

Maddie being this bad off for MONTHS even under doctor's care is troubling. I'm sure she didn't tell them she dozed off while giving the bath She probably said her hand slipped or something less red flaggy. But I was a little surprised the staff didn't delve into the details a bit more. 

The heart/helicopter story was the kind of thing this show does that really shouldn't still affect me so much. I think it's wild how even knowing it's fiction and knowing the show is not going to kill Bobby, it still gets my heart pumping to watch it. Humans are weirdly suggestible.

Eddie's panic over not being in love is surely more about hurting Christopher than hurting Ana. I'm surprised Buck didn't think of that.

Chimney was quite a dick when he refused to fill out the paperwork for the charger. I didn't like that. I get he's worried about Maddie and wants to charge his phone NOW. But still. Not cool.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Weren't we all near rioting last year over toilet paper? But Los Angelans with no AC aren't gunning each other down in the streets for sips of water?

Also there was a real lack of concern about zoo animals like rhinos and elephants being loose. 

Main plot of psychorapist childsnatching? Meh. Seems like a really dumb move when you had a five day headstart to escape. Also, why not kidnap a little sooner? Why wait five days?

Angelenos are tough. Most in the basin don't have air conditioning in their homes and judging by the LAPD in long sleeves it is not the hottest part of the year so the valleys are also survivable.

Remember 24 when a mushroom cloud from a nuke was visible and folks were still getting their 9 rounds of golf in?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

So Lou lives to see another day? I guess Sasha Roiz is saved at least for the moment.

Yeah.  He could still die but I have to admit I laughed to see him still alive. We seem to always have this discussion that surely this is the injury that will result in actual death for our beloved regulars and recurring characters---only to have them survive in some way.

And I actually like it.  I don't like characters I like dying just for the shock value of it all but I'm still highly amused by the fact that a rod through the head, a knife to the throat, an overturned car with massive injuries (multiple times?), a gunshot would with massive blood loss, a pulmonary embolism, and a brutal beatdown yet still they survive. 

PPD stories aren't fun but I do have to give credit to 9-1-1 with this story.  This is probably a story to eventually write Maddie off for a while so Jennifer Love Hewitt can have maternity leave for this third baby but I like that Maddie's not going outrageously crazy but you can see she's slowly drowning.  And I like that they're having a tough time finding the right drug to help her which can be true with many drugs. 

I've seen a lot of PPD stories where they make the woman seem like a horrible nut so I appreciate that they aren't overplaying it---or at least not yet.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 17

Was it my imagination or did it seem like Ana & the "proby" were vibing?  Maybe that's going to be the plot twist: they'll end up getting together and Eddie instead of being relieved will be jealous.  You know how us guys are: we always want what we can't have!🙄

• Love 8

Ok...I live this show but this whole Hudson story line is a bit ridiculous!!! Do they not know eat he LOOKS LIKE? I mean seriously? I Also find it stupid between the timeline Athena realizes she's a damn target and her getting home...They are all gone?? Maybe I missed something...he'll I don't know. 

• Love 3

The moment the kid said his mom wasn't coming home any time soon, I had a feeling Mr Rapist was going to do something to precipitate a crisis to bring her to him. My thinking is he unplugged the generator, so everybody left quickly, and in the darkness/chaos he kidnapped the kid. The timing is a bit convenient that that's just when Athena realized what was happening, but people clearing out really fast didn't strike me as that unrealistic, because I assumed it was orchestrated to create enough distraction for the kidnapping to happen. 

ALso, this show has me numb to realism. See also: exact perfect timing of helicopter falling as Bobby grabs the heart as though him grabbing it was the cause of the fall and not just a TV magic trick.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 4

I know this show is primarily about fire and rescue, but it seems to me the focus should be on finding the hacker who is holding all of the LA area hostage, rather than finding a serial rapist on the loose. I mean, both are primarily police work rather than fire department work. And the former issue seems of greater urgency, to me anyway.

I just can't imagine the chaos and panic something like this would cause in real life. We had rolling blackouts during the electrical grid crisis in the midwest last winter. That was bad enough - imagine having to go without power for days on end during sub-zero temperatures or sweltering heat. No way people would be this calm. No freaking way.

Doesn't Lou have any family whatsoever? Nobody was looking for him for five days?

The way May always quickly finds some creative way of solving a crisis in the moment week after week is far-fetched, to say the least. But then this show isn't exactly known for its basis in reality, so I guess who cares.

No way they will kill off Harry. Even this show wouldn't dare do that to a kid.

• Love 3

We've had the rescue crew fight fires, landslides, earthquakes, serial killers, typhoons, poisonings, evil ex husbands, explosions, cave ins, multicar pile ups, a pandemic, and fight clubs, the crew faces off against their most dangerous foes yet...alpacas! 

That whole welcome to the jungle sequence really is why this whole two parter exists isn't it?

I am really glad that Lou's survived, holy shit are people durable in this show. I am glad that the show doesn't tend to go hard on killing off tons of characters (which I find annoying) but its hilarious how many major and supporting characters have survived horrific injuries that should easily kill a person.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5

Very glad they didn't kill off Lou! But count me in on side-eyeing him being out for five days and nobody noticed. Even more so, there's no way Athena doesn't follow up on seeing the rapist put behind bars again. Are we taking bets on who takes him out? Athena? Bobby? The Captain? (I feel there's a reason they put her on the street for this case.)

I know P.PD is a mental health issue and people's 'normal' behaviours don't apply - but I can't see Maddie allowing herself to be alone with the baby after that near miss. I feel like some in-patient help is coming her way to give her some maternity leave IRL.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 3

That whole welcome to the jungle sequence really is why this whole two parter exists isn't it?

It's at least a three-parter so far. The blackout story hasn't ended yet.

My guess is that May will have it all solved at the end of the day. She'll put 2 and 2 together and figure out who the culprit is with her mad 911 skillz.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

We did have a week long outage here in the middle of the New England winter. I live in a rural area, and there was no rioting or "civil unrest" but yes, it's extremely taxing. I personally got hypothermia before I was able to get out. The National Guard was sent in to restore the grid, and people were basically told to evacuate once the roads were clear. That was weather related, though, and not hacking. The Texas winter grid failure was similar.

After Hurricane Ida, large parts of Louisiana lost power long term and, again, not so much looting as just suffering, death, and destruction, at least from the reports I've seen. 

I think the show doesn't focus on dealing with the hackers because the team isn't really trained to do that job, but I'm just going to believe someone else is working on that end of the problem. I don't see Bobby or Athena running the cyber security efforts. That would be even more unrealistic than having no one notice Lou is missing all this time and that the fugitive he was supposed to deliver never showed up for lock up.

Edited by possibilities
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Bobcatkitten said:

So the scene with all the neighbors coming together was nice but I couldn't help but think - wouldn't it be easier to wheel the kid down to the house with the solar panels? 

I'm not an electrician and profess to know near nothing about electricity, BUT is it realistic that connecting multiple extension cords (varying varieties) and strings of Christmas lights would actually work in sending solar power to the neighbor's generator???.

Electrical experts weigh in on this.

• Love 3

I was skeptical. The string lights don't have the same load bearing capacity as a heavy duty extension cord, but who knows, really?I don't know what a ventilator requires, but you're not supposed to run an air conditioner on anything but a heavy appliance gauge extension cord, so.... I think the string lights were done for effect, just like no one telling the mom what was happening with the neighbors was done for dramatic effect, and instead saying "don't freak out when the help arrives".

• Love 2

Honestly, Maddie was barely able to stay awake the 5 days b4 ep, she woke up right before Chimney went to work and slept through her Dr appt and lunch with Josh until he called hoping she hadn’t left. Even if Maddie was ok why isn’t Albert or the mom figure of Chimneys helping Maddie?  But Chimney has seen she can barely stay awake and he left her alone for 5 days?  It honestly makes no sense. 

the alpacas freaked me the hell out. 

I was honestly surprised Athenas generator was even still running. They require a lot of fuel, and I’m sure people went to gas stations to stock up in droves. Solar panels I can understand. And I agree the mom and her son going to the woman’s house made a lot more sense. 

Because I watch too much crime Tv, the cut to the neck did look pretty shallow. No follow up and not finding out until 5 days later made no sense, at the very least making sure with everything happening the prisoner was secured in. 

• Love 3

I love this bonkers show.

The whole "zoo as Jurassic Park" thing made me so happy. Alpacas as velociraptors was kind of inspired and Hen's "clever girl" after the alpaca called to its friend still has me giggling.

The neighbors coming together to power a ventilator for a child made me smile-cry. I wish we were that kind of country.

Buck referencing Abby while talking to Eddie about Ana was unexpected but appropriate.

Watching Jee-Yun slip under the water was tough to watch. Maddie needs real help. Soon. I really don't want this to turn into a case of post-partum psychosis. I don't want Maddie dangling Jee out a window like Michael Jackson.

Lou's reaction to seeing Athena after he woke up was everything. Sasha Roiz acted his ass off without speaking a word. I also like the interaction between Athena and Capt. Maynard. I just like the chemistry between Basset and Christian as colleagues who have seen it all.

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, marceline said:

Lou's reaction to seeing Athena after he woke up was everything. Sasha Roiz acted his ass off without speaking a word.

He did.  Hopefully, Lou living = more screen time. 

I was 200% on Buck's side when he was concerned about what animals they would come into contact with.  I know the scenes were played for laughs, and it was funny.  Still, I think animals are anthropomorphized too much, so that colors my perspective. 

Poor Maddie.  She is really struggling.  

This multi-episode arc would have been a good time to showcase Albert being a firefighter.  Ah well. 

Buck-with-a-clipboard is kind of hot.  

• Love 3

Lou was found out in the desert in the middle of summer after FIVE days with his throat slit and he's still alive?  Come on!  It never occurred to Athena or her captain that her house/family would be targeted because she too was a victim?  I'm believe this even less than Lou surviving without water and sliced jugular for 5 days!  Michael hosts the entire neighborhood at Athena's because they have a generator.  Ok, fine. But if it's so hot outside, why is everyone sitting in the backyard?  Why wouldn't they all be sitting inside the house with the sliding glass door CLOSED enjoying the AC? And why wouldn't he be cooking up the neighbor's food that is going to spoil, etc instead of grilling Athena's steaks?

I liked the idea of the saving the kid on the ventilator using the power from the solar paneled house.  I had to laugh though that every neighbor only had one indoor extension cord and not one person had an outdoor cord.  

Maddie's needs to find a new doctor!  And Chimney isn't very observant if this has been going on for months and he doesn't see her getting better.  What happened to his grandma/aunt/family friend who offered to watch the baby?  

I don't know why Eddie is so anxious about Ana .  All this time, he seemed really into her but now he's having panic attacks because twice someone mistakenly thought she was his wife?  

What happened to all the people downtown?  All those cars and businesses and yet the entire area was a ghost town except for those 2 guys that were bit by the alpacas.  

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

Lou was found out in the desert in the middle of summer after FIVE days with his throat slit and he's still alive?  Come on!

Luckily, the doctor DID explain that they actually had him brought in five days ago after some kids found him, but he wasn't awake and able to ask for Athena until then. 

Still, nobody checking in on Lou in those five days, ESPECIALLY after Lou had Hudson in custody and then he suddenly went missing? That was ridiculous. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

I've never been to LA, but my understanding from extensive television watching is that traffic is bad even on the best of days.  That said, it certainly seems like the characters are able to get around just fine during the blackout when you would think traffic would be especially clogged. To be fair, I think Bobby did have a throw away line about traffic being bad, but every scene they showed of someone driving seemed like traffic was moving fairly smoothly to me. 

Loved the alpaca storyline.  The expectation that they would encounter something ferocious only to find them confronting something that normally doesn't seem ferocious at all.  (Although I have heard that they can be aggressive if agitated.)  

I have nothing to say about Lou that hasn't already been mentioned.  It defies belief that Athena (or anyone else) would not have checked up on him in FIVE days.  Especially since she knew that when she last heard from him, he had captured Hudson.  I am glad the character didn't die, even if it does go against all rational explanation. 

The ventilator kid storyline was sweet.  Unrealistic, but sweet.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

What happened to Albert anyway? He hasn't been shown at all. Is he still on the show?

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Didn't he die in one of the fires? 

I don't think so. Chim isn't acting like his brother died. What I find weird is that Albert is gone but we've got a new probie in Ravi.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

What happened to Albert anyway? He hasn't been shown at all. Is he still on the show?

That's so weird.  I hadn't even missed Albert at all.  And I actually liked the character.  I don't think the actor's name is in the opening credits, but I haven't heard anything about him leaving.  Inquiring minds want to know. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think you are remembering the friend that Chim joined the department with who died in Chimney Begins.

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

No, he didn't die. They showed him in the Season 4 finale that he became a firefighter. And nothing since. It's really weird. Maybe the actor got another gig or something.

Didn't Albert get hurt?  I remember him doing food delivery or something last season and he was on the freeway with the drunk driver lady.  He was in the hospital, close to death, but he survived.  I also remember him doing therapy.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, juliet73 said:

Didn't Albert get hurt?  I remember him doing food delivery or something last season and he was on the freeway with the drunk driver lady.  He was in the hospital, close to death, but he survived.  I also remember him doing therapy.  

He was, and did, but at the end of the season finale we see him entering training to be a fire fighter.

• Love 2

I know this has been talked about/joked about for a while but after watching this episode I am absolutely convinced that, yes, they ARE “going there” with Buck and Eddie. 

And I agree with earlier poster who said Ravi the Proby will get together with Ana. 
Whether that prompts maybe Uncle Buck taking Eddie out for drinks to drown his sorrows and dot-dot-dot is TBA. 

6 hours ago, Raja said:

I think you are remembering the friend that Chim joined the department with who died in Chimney Begins.

Yes! Thanks, that's it. I somehow totally forgot about the brother who was introduced more recently than that and was actually still around. The hiatus has been too long!

4 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I know this has been talked about/joked about for a while but after watching this episode I am absolutely convinced that, yes, they ARE “going there” with Buck and Eddie. 

And I agree with earlier poster who said Ravi the Proby will get together with Ana. 
Whether that prompts maybe Uncle Buck taking Eddie out for drinks to drown his sorrows and dot-dot-dot is TBA. 

Only in the last episode of the last season . They are going to milk this for all it's worth .

• LOL 1

On 9/28/2021 at 4:17 PM, marceline said:

Lou's reaction to seeing Athena after he woke up was everything. Sasha Roiz acted his ass off without speaking a word. I also like the interaction between Athena and Capt. Maynard. I just like the chemistry between Basset and Christian as colleagues who have seen it all.

I thought he was great too. It was a moving moment.

I hate multi-episode archs with psycho killers, I want Hudson dead next episode.

The postpartum story is difficult to watch. It triggers my own memories, though mine was never as bad as Maddie's. But it did last nine long months - which was when I finally asked for help. Meds flipped the switch for me.

• Love 6