Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Is This a Date?

• Start Topic

Olivia's therapy session leaves her contemplating some major changes with Ethan; Moriah and Max debate over her revealing outfits; Barry takes Isaac and Micah golfing for some quality father and son time; Micah goes on a date with Helena.

Original Air Date:  Sep 21, 2021

• Love 1

Mariah your parents and your boyfriend have asked you to cover your ass.  Yes you dress for yourself but honestly you are a pretty, nice girl but you look like a tart!

Ethan and Olivia have come to the end of the line!  Country boy and city girl.  They have grown apart after the lust wore off.

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 1

Could Ethan and Olivia be any more depressing? Go spread your wings, Olivia. Too bad she didn't realize that is what she wanted to do before she married Ethan and broke his heart. 

Moriah needs a  clothing and makeup stylist to teach her that having her red lips, ass cheeks and belly on display all the time in public is not the way to go. Such a beautiful girl, she could be positively stunning if she knew what to do with herself. Her boyfriend did a poor job of trying to explain that. I like that these two talk things out, though. The complete opposite of E & O.  

• Love 2

Well, that discussion about Moriah's clothing was awkward.  Olivia usually looks good; too bad Moriah hasn't thought to ask advice of her.  Or maybe she did, and we didn't see it, but I think this is Moriah's main avenue of independence.  I will confess that I went thru a stage of wearing halter tops and cut off jeans that resembled Daisy Dukes nearly a decade before the Dukes of Hazard aired. The shorts were a smidge longer but they not by much.

Ethan basically has only Micah and Moriah to hang with if Olivia stays gone forever.  She is 90 percent--if not more-- of the reason he is so estranged from his parents and her influence got him practically banned from his younger brothers and sisters.  She might have gotten a little more from him if she would tell him she is afraid of becoming her mother.   I really am not a fan of Olivia.  I wonder what he thinks of his tattoo now.  

Edited by Twopper
  • Love 1

Olivia has the right to be happy but she needs to realize she won’t find a partner who wants to talk about her needs all the time. She honestly seems like she would be a pill to hang out with, every time she is with Ethan or Moriah she acts like a teacher not a friend or spouse.

I’m a city girl myself but there is nothing wrong with what Ethan wants either. Olivia is giving him an ultimatum and in real life that never works. Maybe it is good for her to live by herself for awhile if she can afford it. She might find out that Ethan isn’t stopping her from being who she wants to be. 

• Love 4

This show is getting sadder and sadder because the dysfunction of this family is becoming more and more apparent. It's not just a freak side show anymore, it's seeing how torn up these kids are, and how their moronic parents have fucked them up so badly. It was ironic AF that Kim kept crowing about how proud she was of Isaac pursuing his pilot's license dreams and how she and Barry have 'prepared their kids to leave the nest and be self sufficient', or some such crap. BULLSHIT. It's like they fucked up Ethan, Micah and Moriah, so NOW they're seeing the error of their ways? What about trying to help their kids who have left the nest and who are struggling? When Kim makes these self serving 'what great parents we are' comments I just want to reach through the TV and punch her right smack in her cud-chewing pie hole.

Moriah presents herself with her body/sexuality first, and does so looking like a cheap hooker, but she thinks she's exercising her freedom to choose how to dress. So fucking sad. She needs a bootcamp makeover from What Not To Wear's Stacy and Clinton. I understand what she was saying about that issue, but there are many ways to dress that will show off her great figure and still look classy. I mean, she could rock sporty, school appropriate, work appropriate, date appropriate, and still show off her figure and look NOT like a hooker. It is actually not that difficult to do given all the body conscious options out there today. As for Olivia being a fashion mentor, she's a step above Moriah IMO. She also veers towards the crop tops - which unless you're six years old, just, NO - and short shorts. I guess she's a smidge less whorish though. At least Moriah has Max, and he's a keeper if ever there was one, and at least the two of them are trying to improve their communication, which Ethan and Olivia should take lessons from!

Speaking of Olivia, someone needs to turn her makeup gun from stage make up to daily natural make up. What on earth is she puttying onto her skin? She looks sort of yellow/orange/jaundicey, it was awful. And the greasyness of all that foundation caked onto her skin was just so distracting. I wanted to reach through my screen and offer the girl a hot towel to remove all that shit from her face. I know some here dislike Olivia and think she's self obsessed, etc. But last night I really felt for her. Ethan will never ever make a decision, like on anything. He is stunted from his bad parenting, and he is incapable of making any serious life decisions, IMO. So that leaves Olivia in an impossible position. If she wants to move forward on anything, it is she who will always have to push and prod Ethan to follow along. There is no real good reason they cannot get a place in a more countrified suburb outside of Tallahassee, it's just that if they did look there, I think Ethan will always come up with an excuse that he doesn't want to leave Cairo, and Olivia knows this deep down. OTOH, I don't believe that if they moved into an apartment temporarily, that it would ever lead to moving back out of Tallahassee and Ethan knows that as well. Basically, these two are no longer a fit and it's sad, but it's also what happens when you marry in your early 20's and have no idea of who you really are. It's also a by-product of two young adults who are desperate to have sex but come from sexually repressed families. They get married so they can have sex, but then the thrill wears off and they realize they're not 'forever soul mates' after all. At least I have to give Olivia credit for going to a therapist because she knows she needs help, and for having the tough conversations that nobody really wants to have, but she has to initiate because she knows Ethan never will. She's in an impossible situation and I felt for her. She IS more than a small town girl, and there is no reason she should put her life on hold or thwart her dreams for Ethan when he can't put together a coherent game plan that might be a compromise. I think he thinks she'll never leave him, but he's in for a surprise if she ever dates a normal dude from a normal upbringing....then he's toast.

Micah...I don't get him, I guess he's just too young and at least knows he's a horndog who wants to play around right now. But if that's the case then why bother going on about his deep friendship and attraction to Helena. Hopefully she's smart enough to keep him at arm's length until he grows up more because as much as he claims to value her, I don't think he'd be faithful to her if another hot chick offered herself to him. At least he's self aware enough to know that, despite his continuing to make vague overtures to Helena.

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 5

I think Moriah needs this time to be herself and build self-confidence her way. I have no problem with how she dresses or does her makeup. If it makes her feel like a Queen then she should go with it. Could she look better and dress more appropriately? Yes. But if doing it her way makes her feel good, I think she deserves that. She's been told how to be her entire life. It's high time she had the opportunity to do things on her own terms. She'll probably grow out of it. And if she doesn't, she certainly isn't hurting anyone. She seems like a really sweet girl.

I like Olivia. I feel awful for her because I think Ethan is a complete dolt and the brainwashing by his parents has ingrained itself in him to the point that he'll never be fully free of their reach. He talks a good game but deep down he's just as stubborn as they are. I really don't see Olivia as making everything about her. I think the reason her needs come up so frequently is because she's never able to get anywhere ever. I can feel her frustration through the television screen. When you're young you think that everything will work itself out. That doesn't happen unless there is willingness to grow together individually and as a couple. Ethan just wants to stay in place and doesn't understand why Olivia doesn't want to stay in place with him. Literally and figuratively. I think Olivia deserves far better than a guy who desperately needs therapy and refuses see why he needs it and refuses to go. If he won't do the work then there is no point in staying married.

I do not see Olivia as the reason why he is distanced from his family. It would not matter if it was Olivia or any other girl. Except maybe another Fundy girl who would accept his whack job parents and all of their interference. But no normal girl would put up with Barry and Kim Plath. No way. I am not a violent person and I want to knock Barry and Kim into next week. They are the biggest assholes I have ever seen on TLC. And that's really saying something. 

• Love 11

Poor Moriah. She has been so sheltered she doesnt know the difference between fashion and trashion. I must admit to wearing halter tops and cutoff jean shorts when I was in my teens but am pretty sure my ass wasn't hanging out. And definitely didn't apply makeup with a trowel. 

I feel for Olivia and Ethan but this relationship has been unravelling for awhile now, as is not terribly uncommon for two young individuals who have not had any life experience and are growing at different paces and in different directions. Been there, and I knew deep inside that it was a mistake to get married to this person and did it anyway. 

These assholes Kim and Barry haven't learned a blessed thing about how their parenting is fucking up these kids. I was livid when I saw Kim nonchalantly going through the text messages on Lydia's phone.

Edited by lizajane
Brain fart
  • Love 8

I can’t say much about the scanty clothing.  Back in the day, I was prone to dress very sexy.  I sometimes shudder when I recall the short shorts that I wore occasionally, even in my 40’s! 😝 I did dress professionally when at work, of course, but liked wearing strapless, off the shoulder, etc. .  And, I did always ask my partner/boyfriend if I looked ok.  They all said YAY!  Great.  😄. I’m not saying it was a good thing, but was fun at the time.  I think I really enjoyed the attention.    I will say that I grew up in a fundie church. My parents were very religious, in what I call the cult church.  😔 I wonder if that contributes to it.  

Maybe Ethan and Olivia could try a trial separation.  It’s more costly to live separately though.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Maybe Ethan and Olivia could try a trial separation.  It’s more costly to live separately though.  

There was a black screen at the end that said Olivia moved out after they shot that scene. I’m not sure how it will fit in with all the previews where we saw her hanging out like usual.

If they’re both set on living different lifestyles, they need to rip the Band-Aid. I totally understand that in their subculture, divorce is still shameful and women often bear most of the blame, but I’m not sure they realize how bad it will be for themselves to try to drag this out, no matter what people think. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I like Olivia. I feel awful for her because I think Ethan is a complete dolt and the brainwashing by his parents has ingrained itself in him to the point that he'll never be fully free of their reach. He talks a good game but deep down he's just as stubborn as they are. I really don't see Olivia as making everything about her. I think the reason her needs come up so frequently is because she's never able to get anywhere ever. I can feel her frustration through the television screen. When you're young you think that everything will work itself out. That doesn't happen unless there is willingness to grow together individually and as a couple. Ethan just wants to stay in place and doesn't understand why Olivia doesn't want to stay in place with him. Literally and figuratively. I think Olivia deserves far better than a guy who desperately needs therapy and refuses see why he needs it and refuses to go. If he won't do the work then there is no point in staying married.

I do not see Olivia as the reason why he is distanced from his family. It would not matter if it was Olivia or any other girl. Except maybe another Fundy girl who would accept his whack job parents and all of their interference. But no normal girl would put up with Barry and Kim Plath. No way. I am not a violent person and I want to knock Barry and Kim into next week. They are the biggest assholes I have ever seen on TLC. And that's really saying something. 

I agree with all of this.

And I think we hear about Olivia's needs because Ethan doesn't talk about his.  As much as therapy is uncomfortable, it would help Ethan in his relationship with Olivia.  It would also help him set boundaries around what whatever he decides he wants as a relationship with his parents.

• Love 5

Re Ethan and Olivia:

I've been there and done this. Twice. I did the ironic thing of "getting married to have sex" then getting divorced, (which is extremely shameful and essentially forbidden in that culture) BECAUSE of how I ended up married in the first place. And I still don't know the solution. 

I didn't grow up "fundie" but was Christian and really valued "saving myself for marriage" and waiting for the right person. It was very important to me. So I met someone, dragged out the holding hands and kissing for as long as any guy would put up with, and we got married. We were too young. We were wrong for each other. But no guy is going to wait 10 years to do anything. 

Then I did it again. Met someone with the same values and this time got married really quickly, because, of course, what could possibly go wrong? A lot of people in our circle had short engagements because, again, you can't move in together or "do anything" until marriage, so it's sort of what you do. Again, wrong choice. Should have waited years to get to know the person. But you can't wait years. 

Now, in middle age, I know myself and who I am and what I want, and I realize I, personally, had no business getting married until probably mid 30s. Like most of us, I am a completely different person now than I was when I was 20 or even 25. It has taken me this long to truly figure out what to look for in someone and even to get to know myself. But I still would rather not have racked up a spreadsheet of names from the past to get to this point. I had equal phobias and shame surrounding premarital sex and divorce. And it all led to quite the ironic outcome. 

We are made to hit puberty in our teens and have sexual urges and be able to carry children. Yet our minds aren't sane enough until much later on! So, what does one do? 

I think of Lydia. And I don't understand Kim in all of it. Lydia doesn't know the boy well enough to text, so she needs to get to know him better before texting him by . . . not talking to him? I think text is a relatively harmless way to get to know someone if there ever was one. Especially when you know parents have access to your phone. It's not like they'd send anything lewd or too personal. Seems pretty benign. What else could Kim hope for? If the boy lived closer it's not as if she'd allow Lydia the opportunity to get to know him in person anyway. I see a lot of myself in Lydia and feel she'll probably do what I did. And I hope it works out better for her than it did for me or has for Ethan and Olivia. 

Edited by PicnicLife77
Spelling
  • Love 14

The current Ethan/Olivia relationship drama really highlights why the Plaths' courtship model is such a bad idea.

If E/O had been allowed to really get to know each other before they got married, and to do the things that dating couples do, and to talk about all the things that dating couples talk about, they probably would've realized that they're not well-suited for each other.

But when having a crush on someone equals a wedding, there isn't the time to come to those realizations.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Olivia dislikes Ethans mom only because she is just like her , she’s selfish , controlling and all about what she wants . Seeing this young man fall victim to this toxic woman is sad and goes directly back to the illogical ideas these kids were raised to accept , dating one person and marrying them , who marries the very first person they date ? It’s absurd 

• Love 1

My heart breaks for Ethan. So much religious trauma and shitty parenting have brought him to this place, and he has no idea what to do. He kept saying "It doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense" because for him, he absolutely has no idea how to navigate a relationship, especially a relationship with Olivia. I hope he can get some therapy to help him understand what choices he does have and the consequences of those choices. 

Olivia is obviously ahead of him on their deconstructing journey, and I know she says that she's tired of making all the decisions. Which is a totally legit way to feel in a relationship. I just wish that she would guide Ethan just a little bit longer to help him get through this stage. He was raised with exactly zero skills to get through something like this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Realtalk47 said:

Olivia dislikes Ethans mom only because she is just like her , she’s selfish , controlling and all about what she wants . Seeing this young man fall victim to this toxic woman is sad and goes directly back to the illogical ideas these kids were raised to accept , dating one person and marrying them , who marries the very first person they date ? It’s absurd 

Oh, I don't think that's fair at all!  Olivia is not perfect, but she is trying desperately to communicate with Ethan.  There are things that she wants that he doesn't want, and she is trying so hard to come up with solutions that will make them both happy.  Ethan seriously lacks communication skills.  Every time things get this least bit uncomfortable, he runs off - to his cars, to his sister's house, to the skating rink.  He avoids talking to Olivia.  I do realize that his lack of skills are not his fault, and I think Olivia does, too.  But he has to start trying.  He gave up on the therapist after one session.  I get that therapy is a big taboo in world he grew up in, so that probably was doomed before it started.  Still, there has to be some effort on Ethan's part.

37 minutes ago, Nadezhda said:

I just wish that she would guide Ethan just a little bit longer to help him get through this stage. He was raised with exactly zero skills to get through something like this.

I think they've hit a point where he's going to have to give a little.  So far, the only thing we've seen is him shutting down.  She's talking to a brick wall.  I think she's desperate for something to shake him up and get him to do ... something.

• Love 14

I’ve said this before, but Moriah dresses like all the girls I went to school with who were raised in strict Christian homes - many of them preachers kids. They stashed all their tacky clothes and make up in their book bags and changed in the bathroom before the bell rang. The ass out jean shorts weren’t a thing back then, but they wore whatever the early to mid-nineties equivalent was. I will say having your ass cheeks exposed doesn’t seem all that comfortable nor sanitary for the wearer or people sitting behind them. The first time I noticed this trend, I was at Union Station and saw a girl wearing them. A filthy, pissy train station with all kinds of vermin and other things crawling around and she sat her bare ass cheeks down. I kind of wanted to hang around to see if she stood up with gum or pennies or an old sandwich stuck to her but I mean, YOLO I guess.

Every time the camera focuses on Ethan, he looks like a ticking time bomb. He’s gone from the sort of doofy Kenneth Ellen Parcell kid to a very (justifiably) angry, brooding tinder box of unresolved emotions. It’s sort of scary to look at and my mind immediately goes to Andrea Yates. Let. me. be. clear. I am in no way comparing this young man to a monster who would murder their own children nor am I am implying that Ethan is prone to violence. But I do believe Yates’ untreated mental health issues were exasperated by the subculture in which she lived. Ethan is clearly struggling and if he has the opportunity to seek counseling, he should take full advantage of that before it gets worse. Mental health care is inaccessible to so many because of several factors including lack of money (hard to find a therapist that takes insurance!) and the stigma associated with it. 

I hate how the show is portraying Barry and Kim this season. They’re allowed to sit there in interviews as if they’re Ward and June Cleaver and their kids are just out there doing their own thing. I absolutely hate how they refer to their children’s’ issues with them as “bitterness,” because it’s a way to dismiss the kids’ completely justified complaints about their upbringing and lack of education while absolving themselves of playing any part in it.

• Love 11

The golf scene with Barry grossed me out. It was so scripted and unnatural. You can't convince me the family does things for fun together like that. They barely knew how to interact with one another, and I felt uncomfortable watching them attempt to joke around for the cameras. 

• Love 7

What are the chances that Ethan will go running back to Mommy and Daddy?  He doesn't seem to have friends.  That's not really his fault because of the way he was raised, but he doesn't seem to have even tried to develop friendships with people his age since he got married. The fact that Ethan and Olivia never see each other is sad.  Ethan just runs away whenever the conversation gets challenging.  I actually feel sorry for Olivia.  She is at least trying, he isn't.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, camom said:

What are the chances that Ethan will go running back to Mommy and Daddy?  He doesn't seem to have friends.  That's not really his fault because of the way he was raised, but he doesn't seem to have even tried to develop friendships with people his age since he got married. The fact that Ethan and Olivia never see each other is sad.  Ethan just runs away whenever the conversation gets challenging.  I actually feel sorry for Olivia.  She is at least trying, he isn't.

He may not know how to make friends. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 9/23/2021 at 1:55 PM, charmed1 said:

I’ve said this before, but Moriah dresses like all the girls I went to school with who were raised in strict Christian homes - many of them preachers kids. They stashed all their tacky clothes and make up in their book bags and changed in the bathroom before the bell rang. The ass out jean shorts weren’t a thing back then, but they wore whatever the early to mid-nineties equivalent was. I will say having your ass cheeks exposed doesn’t seem all that comfortable nor sanitary for the wearer or people sitting behind them. The first time I noticed this trend, I was at Union Station and saw a girl wearing them. A filthy, pissy train station with all kinds of vermin and other things crawling around and she sat her bare ass cheeks down. I kind of wanted to hang around to see if she stood up with gum or pennies or an old sandwich stuck to her but I mean, YOLO I guess.

Every time the camera focuses on Ethan, he looks like a ticking time bomb. He’s gone from the sort of doofy Kenneth Ellen Parcell kid to a very (justifiably) angry, brooding tinder box of unresolved emotions. It’s sort of scary to look at and my mind immediately goes to Andrea Yates. Let. me. be. clear. I am in no way comparing this young man to a monster who would murder their own children nor am I am implying that Ethan is prone to violence. But I do believe Yates’ untreated mental health issues were exasperated by the subculture in which she lived. Ethan is clearly struggling and if he has the opportunity to seek counseling, he should take full advantage of that before it gets worse. Mental health care is inaccessible to so many because of several factors including lack of money (hard to find a therapist that takes insurance!) and the stigma associated with it. 

I hate how the show is portraying Barry and Kim this season. They’re allowed to sit there in interviews as if they’re Ward and June Cleaver and their kids are just out there doing their own thing. I absolutely hate how they refer to their children’s’ issues with them as “bitterness,” because it’s a way to dismiss the kids’ completely justified complaints about their upbringing and lack of education while absolving themselves of playing any part in it.

Barry and Kim will never take any kind of responsibility for their role in their children's estrangement. I think that's what Ethan knows in his heart, even if his head hasn't completely articulated it yet. Moriah and Micah were able to break away on their own terms and before they made life-changing adult decisions, so they aren't as handicapped by their parents and can afford to be more forgiving. Unfortunately, Ethan wasn't so fortunate. He played by his parents' ridiculous rules and has come to find out that his upbringing was about them and their happiness, not his. 

16 hours ago, camom said:

I don't think he will go back to his parents. I feel sorry for him and Olivia. He was emotionally hamstrung by his parents who never wanted him to or allowed him to have his own genuine feelings. He doesn't know how to be in the world. While I see parallels between Olivia and Kim, I think Olivia is doing what Kim will never do, which is own her stuff and work on it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Moriah practicing body autonomy is quite normal, and we all have done that ourselves. Moriah practicing her bodily autonomy with tarty outfits and red-light district makeup is a result of Kim's thumb on her and also the fact that she wasn't able to make/keep friends who would have had a blast with her experimenting with clothes and makeup (or at least telling her, "girl, I can see your ass cheeks hanging out, that's not a good look"). I nearly applauded when she clapped right back at Max and stood up for herself, her personal style and expression, and her clothing. I had a very religious upbringing with strict parents, and I purchased tarty clothes and wore them when I was out with friends and then changed back into my parent-approved clothing before I went home. My neighbor was a seamstress and in high school, I used to take my contraband clothing over to her to make the dresses and skirts even shorter! Moriah won't have The Eyes of Tammy Faye or her ass cheeks hanging out of her shorts forever, and she needs to work through her personal style.

What is more worrying to me than Moriah's 'extra' makeup & wardrobe was Micah's soon-to-be gf's horrible orange foundation. She looked like she had applied a reverse geisha on herself with that bright orange-brick color spottily spackled on her face, but the sides of her neck and right in front her her ears were 12 shades whiter. I actually gasped and paused my DVR because I was not believing what I was seeing, it was that awful.

Olivia was right to move out and stay with a friend. If Ethan will not get therapy, talk to her honestly, or figure things out on his own, then she really doesn't have much of a choice but to head out. Protective Ethan is a great start; if he can build on that and put the zoom in on himself, his wife, and his marriage with that protective focus, he can begin to move outward and deal with the damage that his parents have done to him and to his siblings.

Barry and Kim truly think that they're parents of the fucking year with letting one kid get flying lessons and Barry taking the other out for golf. They are both disgusting controlling pieces of garbage and we'll have decades of TV seasons from the fallout of their shit parenting.

Edited by lightninggirl
  • Love 8

I think Olivia has done a whole lot of damage to Ethan. She was like a snake charmer luring him away from his family. 
She was happy in Plathville as long as she could cause problems in the family. Once they were separated she lost the control to wreck havoc. 

The only happiness I have seen on Olivia lately is in having Moriah tell her parents not to come to her gig because Olivia doesn’t want them there. She loves that!  Shame on her  

I think now Ethan and Olivia have taken a look at each other and said no thanks. 
Yes Ethan will reunite with his family. Yes they will have struggles but most families do. 

Taking Ethan out of the country and into an apartment in the city is like a fish out of water. He could not breath there!

• Love 1

Ethan and Olivia need marriage counseling. And Ethan has to agree to be a full participant. No matter what, a marriage is not going to work if one person avoids difficult conversations as much as possible as refuses to discuss problems. Ethan also needs counseling on his own. He needs to learn how to communicate, and that it's okay to communicate, and that it's okay to grow and change and want other things. It's also okay not to. But Olivia did not deliberately to change who she essentially is - people don't do that.

His "I've worked to give this life to you" to her...omg, it's 2021. Olivia has a career of her own. Does he really think she should just be sitting back and being grateful for the life he has given her? I mean, I know that is how he is raised - the father works, the mother stays home and is grateful for what her husband provides. But he obviously has never sat back and just looked at his life. He has clearly started to questions his parents and how he has raised, but he hasn't looked any further to see how it has shaped him and his expectations.

I don't think one can entirely blame Olivia for Barry and Kim not being invited to the concert. When Olivia told Mariah that she'd perform but only if Barry and Kim weren't in the audience, Mariah could have said no. She chose to go along with Olivia's request, she wasn't forced to. Mariah is not living the sheltered life she was living a couple of years ago. She knows more people from different walks of life, I'm sure someone could have helped her find a pianist if she didn't know anyone else.

I think the conversation between Max and Mariah was totally staged, as they resolved their differences awfully quickly. But honestly, she looks awfully slutty a lot of the time. Hopefully she'll grow out of it in a couple of years, and realize she can still dress attractively and not hide her body, but also not show it off. There is a happy median between hiding ones body and showing it off.

• Love 1

Micah enjoys his gorgeous young body and shows most of it in his photos. Okay? Yet Mariah gets so many negative comments about enjoying her gorgeous young body and showing it. She seems to carry herself with reasonable dignity and has the self-possession to say her body is her own, whatever eyes may look at her or judge her. Good for her. Sure, she'll probably evolve a more sophisticated fashion sense. Most of us do. /flaunting my sexy Crocs

It's a shame Ethan can't get any real support from his parents, as the logical conclusion to his teen relationship-turned-marriage plays out. But then, he wouldn't be in this mess without his parents. 

Too bad the show won't focus more on the parents. I think Kim's gone overboard on the damage control this season, trying to fix her image. All the teen/young adult scenes are kind of dull and tragic at the same time. Every week they just set them up to do some mundane thing as a first experience, or hash out teen relationship issues. 

• Love 6
On 9/26/2021 at 6:14 PM, Pingaponga said:

His "I've worked to give this life to you" to her...omg, it's 2021. Olivia has a career of her own. Does he really think she should just be sitting back and being grateful for the life he has given her? I mean, I know that is how he is raised - the father works, the mother stays home and is grateful for what her husband provides.

Dumb question, and I'm not sure how I missed this - WHAT does Ethan do for a living? I see him tinkering on cars here and there, but I don't know what he actually does for work outside of a TLC paycheck.

• Useful 1
56 minutes ago, lightninggirl said:

Dumb question, and I'm not sure how I missed this - WHAT does Ethan do for a living? I see him tinkering on cars here and there, but I don't know what he actually does for work outside of a TLC paycheck.

I think he works at that garage his sister just got a job at. Can’t remember her name. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I think he works at that garage his sister just got a job at. Can’t remember her name. 

Didn't he recently mention he repairs copiers. I think he just uses space at the garage to work on his own car. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Mr.Mango said:

Didn't he recently mention he repairs copiers. I think he just uses space at the garage to work on his own car. 

This is what I recall. When Moriah asked for help with setting up her computer, he mentioned he repairs copiers, so he had some knowledge of setting it up (I don’t see the corellation!). I think his tinkering with cars is just a hobby, but clearly he has a knack for it.

• Love 2
On 9/24/2021 at 6:47 PM, Jeanne222 said:

I think Olivia has done a whole lot of damage to Ethan. She was like a snake charmer luring him away from his family. 
She was happy in Plathville as long as she could cause problems in the family
. Once they were separated she lost the control to wreck havoc. 

The only happiness I have seen on Olivia lately is in having Moriah tell her parents not to come to her gig because Olivia doesn’t want them there. She loves that!  Shame on her  

I think now Ethan and Olivia have taken a look at each other and said no thanks. 
Yes Ethan will reunite with his family. Yes they will have struggles but most families do. 

Taking Ethan out of the country and into an apartment in the city is like a fish out of water. He could not breath there!

You mean she was like a modern-day Moses delivering him from the psychotic, paranoid rule of Pharaoh Barry and Kim. Those people have screwed up every kid that they've attempted to raise. I'm not saying Olivia is perfect, but holy hell; let's not act like Kim and Barry aren't manipulative bastards. 

• Love 14
On 9/22/2021 at 8:14 PM, PicnicLife77 said:

I think of Lydia. And I don't understand Kim in all of it. Lydia doesn't know the boy well enough to text, so she needs to get to know him better before texting him by . . . not talking to him? I think text is a relatively harmless way to get to know someone if there ever was one. Especially when you know parents have access to your phone. It's not like they'd send anything lewd or too personal. Seems pretty benign. What else could Kim hope for? If the boy lived closer it's not as if she'd allow Lydia the opportunity to get to know him in person anyway. I see a lot of myself in Lydia and feel she'll probably do what I did. And I hope it works out better for her than it did for me or has for Ethan and Olivia. 

I think Kim wants Lydia to stay around as long as she can possibly get her to.  She's a compliant child; easy to control.  Plus it appears she does the lion's share of the cooking and cleaning.  Kim doesn't want to lose her cook, nanny and housekeeper. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Oh cry me a dry eye river Olivia!  Hopefully Ethan is going to tell her goodbye next week and then maybe he can mend fences with his family. 

Moriah looks so nice with her new makeup choices. That bright red was killer. 

Seems Helena is questioning why Moriahs parents won’t be at her gig!  Olivia of course…Olivia!

14 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

You mean she was like a modern-day Moses delivering him from the psychotic, paranoid rule of Pharaoh Barry and Kim. Those people have screwed up every kid that they've attempted to raise. I'm not saying Olivia is perfect, but holy hell; let's not act like Kim and Barry aren't manipulative bastards. 

Olivia seems pretty grounded and introspective considering her age (22) and her fundamentalist background.  I think therapy has made her grow.

On 9/27/2021 at 2:13 PM, Chicken Fingers said:

I think Kim's gone overboard on the damage control this season, trying to fix her image.

F A I L  ! ! !

On 9/24/2021 at 1:59 PM, lightninggirl said:

Barry and Kim truly think that they're parents of the fucking year with letting one kid get flying lessons and Barry taking the other out for golf. They are both disgusting controlling pieces of garbage and we'll have decades of TV seasons from the fallout of their shit parenting.

I'm sure Kim still believes (even thought SHE has access to all social media and has to read comments about herself) that she's the smartest, the best, the hottest thang in Cairo, Georgia.  After all, she's a tee-vee stah!!    She has no clue that most of us alternate between disgust and hilarity.

On 9/23/2021 at 12:51 PM, luvmylabs said:

Moriah's makeup puts me in mind of Tammy Faye Baker.  Perhaps her sheltered upbringing made her unaware of the difference between current fashion and looking like a street walker.

That's what obten happens when you don't get to socialize with girls your age in average public school settings.  Girls might be mean sometimes, but they can set you straight.

On 9/22/2021 at 8:14 AM, bichonblitz said:

Go spread your wings, Olivia. Too bad she didn't realize that is what she wanted to do before she married Ethan and broke his heart. 

She had no experience.  She was also a sheltered, homeschooled girl whose life was based on religious teachings.  She couldn't "realize" something she didn't know.  We don't know what we don't know.  I love watching her evolution.  I hope Ethan can evolve; he's such a wonderful guy.  I want them to stay together...happily.

• Love 6
On 9/20/2021 at 11:22 AM, Ms.Lulu said:

Is This a Date?. Olivia's therapy session leaves her contemplating some major changes with Ethan; Moriah and Max debate over her revealing outfits; Barry takes Isaac and Micah golfing for some quality father and son time; Micah goes on a date with Helena.

I stumbled upon this show by accident while channel-surfing and heard someone say "Tallahassee", which caught my attention. I recognized the roller skating rink they all went to and found it amusing that it was empty and brightly-lit. 🤣

Edited by Gharlane
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I stumbled upon this show by accident while channel-surfing and heard someone say "Tallahassee", which caught my attention. I recognized the roller skating rink they all went to and found it amusing that it was empty and brightly-lit. 🤣

I seriously miss roller skating rinks. Roller skating has made such a comeback but I don’t think any of the rinks that closed down will reopen. The one near me became a ReStore ☹️