Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Summer School: Chapter Six

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

Well damn. Of all the shows to evoke a "Holy Shit!" out of me, I never expected this show to be one of them. This episode was...a lot. When Shade looked scared, you knew excrement was about to strike the miniature wind turbine.

I don't think Cindy's dead, just...elsewhere. Isaac's gonzo, though.

• Love 9

I am SO glad Mike is okay. Hopefully now everyone will take the kid seriously. 

However, that said...Someone else mentioned this last week, I think it was, so I know I'm not alone. I am just not enjoying the show this year. The violence is over the top, and it's been unrelentingly dark. I'm not looking for sunshine and puppies by any means, but I find that I'm forcing myself to watch it, and usually that's followed by deleting it off the DVR, then I stop watching. I know violence and adult themes much more common in today's young adult fare than it was when I grew up (I'm old), so maybe I'm just not their audience. 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, kirinan said:

I am just not enjoying the show this year. The violence is over the top, and it's been unrelentingly dark.

Half way through this episode I was 90% sure I was done with this show. 
But I'll give it another episode because there are some good characters too.

• Love 2

That was a great episode and definitely worth most of the build up.

Pat getting beat up in the shop was brutal as hell.

The IJS-Teens vs. The JS-teens was definitely great my only compliments is that everyone came out virtually unscathed and that Artemis should be dead with all the damage she took yet she was able to go toe2toe with Hourman and ran away without a broken bone.

Im glad that The Shade didn't get killed off as he's a great character. Ecilpso is scary as hell and can't wait to see how they deal with him though Cindy looked AWESOME when she was briefly taken over.

Now to go see what the kids show Supergirl and her Superfriends has to offer.

• Love 3

Great episode tonight. Out of most the of the CW Superhero shows Stargirl is really keeping it action filled. I hope they continue to show them more as a team. I know each character have some personal issues they are dealing with. I however, did not like how the show was having them deal with them separately. I do like they are at least letting Beth and Rick confide in each other as well as Courtney and Yolanda! I am enjoying this season. They have definitely stepped up the level of interaction with the bad guys and the dark side. 

• Love 3

Wow, Eclipso came and he did not disappoint. I feel sorry for Isaac, kid had literally no dog in this fight and he died because Cindy lied to him. Hell, I even feel sorry for Cindy, she didn't deserve whatever hell she was dropped into. 

Mike has a serious point though, with all the kidnapping he could use a STRIPE of his own. Maybe Zeke can put a flaming chainsaw on his 🤣

3 hours ago, kirinan said:

The violence is over the top, and it's been unrelentingly dark. 

Really? This show is sunshine and rainbows compared to some real dark stuff.

• Love 5

Rick (seeing a destroyed STRIPE): "Shit, what happened?"

Beth:  "Budget cuts, sadly."

Yolanda: "Yep, now that we're full CW, there's no way we can afford a CGI robot full time anymore!"

Speaking of budgets, they certainly seemed to saving all of it for this one!  The JSA vs. ISA 2.0. definitely was insane.  Thought it did a good job at letting everyone; both friend and foe; show off their skills and bring something to the table, and everyone got at least one moment to shine.  Still, not surprised the JSA was able to pull it off, because they did manage to take out most of the OG ISA after-all.

But, alas, any victory is short lived because Eclipso is out of the crystal and already doing damage.  Isaac?  Dead at his hands.  Cindy?  I'm not going to say quite dead, but certainly got sent.. somewhere.  The Shade?  Tossed aside like trash.  The Cosmic Staff?  Lost its power after he grabbed it?!  Yeah, things are not going to be easy for Courtney and the gang.  Nick Tarabay was having fun getting to camp it up on camera this time and was helpfully wearing enough prosthetics and make-up to almost make me forget that this isn't his first time in the D.C. shows (he was Captain Boomerang!  No, not the one in Suicide Squad: that's Jai Courtney!  No, he was the one that popped up in Arrow for a few episodes.)

Poor Pat.  Even if he was holding back a bit due to not wanting to hurt teenagers, I suspect Artemis and Issac were always going to put him through the wringer there.  At least Artemis stopped it from going too far, because she apparently inherited her parents strange code.

I completely love that The Shade was wearing a different outfit for the battle than the one he wore when he visited Barbara at the hospital.  I just love the idea that he heard the news about Cindy having the crystal, but instead of automatically going over, he was like "Whelp, I better first dawn on my Sunday best!  And don't forget the cane and top hat!  And my shades!  I'm going to arrive in style, baby!"  But, hey, even though he also got his ass kicked, I can safely say now that he really is the least evil member out of the ISA.  Granted, that's not a massive accomplishment out of that lot (The Wizard; for how brief we saw him; was probably in second place), but better than nothing!  Curious to see what's in store for him going forward.

Mike out of nowhere with the toaster!

Great episode.  Definitely seems to be a game changer.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

That was a great episode and definitely worth most of the build up.

Pat getting beat up in the shop was brutal as hell.

The IJS-Teens vs. The JS-teens was definitely great my only compliments is that everyone came out virtually unscathed and that Artemis should be dead with all the damage she took yet she was able to go toe2toe with Hourman and ran away without a broken bone.

To be fair, she definitely seemed to be limping, so she may have had some broken bones. Still and all, I agree it is a stretch that it wasn't the two-hit fight (tm The Breakfast Club) of Hourman hitting her, her hitting the floor. I could buy that the adult Sportsmaster and Tigress are experienced enough to have outsmarted/outlasted Rick especially because of Rick's overconfidence. And yes, perhaps some of it is due to Rick pulling punches. But Artemis took some brutal hits that should have left her unconscious or at least bleeding. And how did she get out of the bat cuff? 

My regret is as a nerd that Beth didn't get any licks in during the fight. Hopefully at some point they give Beth some capability to contribute during a fight. I don't expect her to be trading punches with Solomon Grundy or what have you, but between her and Chuck/real Dr. Midnite, maybe she can come up with some gadgets that can help or use the goggles to help support her teammates in finding opponents' weak spots. 

A propos of nothing, I don't remember what happened to Green Lantern's daughter? 

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

A propos of nothing, I don't remember what happened to Green Lantern's daughter? 

In-universe she went off to look for her brother.  Out of universe the writers realized a fully powered Green Lantern would be too strong to keep around, so she had to go. 

Maybe Rick should be in the hospital too?  Even with his powers he took one heck of a beating and his hour was up. 

Speaking of the hospital, Pat's room was enormous.  Beth's mom must have hooked him up with the presidential suite. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Rick (seeing a destroyed STRIPE): "Shit, what happened?" 
Beth:  "Budget cuts, sadly." 
Yolanda: "Yep, now that we're full CW, there's no way we can afford a CGI robot full time anymore!"

They can save CGI $$ on not having the Cosmic Staff glow or give Courtney rides either.

I completely love that The Shade was wearing a different outfit for the battle than the one he wore when he visited Barbara at the hospital.  I just love the idea that he heard the news about Cindy having the crystal, but instead of automatically going over, he was like "Whelp, I better first dawn on my Sunday best!  And don't forget the cane and top hat!  And my shades!  I'm going to arrive in style, baby!"

I assumed the sunglasses protected Shade from getting possessed by the purple crystal thingy.

Mike out of nowhere with the toaster!

Best part of the episode for me?

51 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

My regret is as a nerd that Beth didn't get any licks in during the fight.

Beth could have been written as a MVP for the episode by having the goggles withstand the purple crystal effect, but they went for more villain time. 

• Love 3

Loved this episode!  I know it's a longshot but I'm secretly hoping that when they defeat Eclipso, all of the souls he absorbed get released and we get Isaac back (and I'm assuming Dr. Midnite will be back by then so he can go raise his newly released daughter).  Cindy I'm sure will be back eventually and more bonkers than ever after spending time in whatever hellscape Eclipso sent her to. 

Also, this just occured to me but did Dr. Midnite take a youth serum or something because if he was married with a kid in the 60s, he would have been in at least his mid-seventies when he got sucked into the shadow world.  Seems a bit old for superheroing it up.  

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Cindy I'm sure will be back eventually and more bonkers than ever after spending time in whatever hellscape Eclipso sent her to. 

Or --in my kinder, gentler, teen superhero show unlike any other-- Cindy is currently in a dark void where all she can see is her last view of Courtney desperately trying to help her, so that when Cindy re-emerges, she will be on the side of the good guys. Cindy and Yolanda can bond over what it's like overcoming a ruined reputation.

Probably on not this show, though.

At least we still have kinder, gentler adults: Pat, Barbara, Zeek, and, relatively speaking, Shade (if he reappears).

IMDb says the little boy who Eclipso materializes as at the end of the episode is Bruce Gordon. For a moment I conflated Bruce Wayne with Barbara Gordon and thought: Eclipso just birthed Batman?? That can't be. (And it wasn't.)

Edited by shapeshifter
typos
21 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Also, this just occured to me but did Dr. Midnite take a youth serum or something because if he was married with a kid in the 60s, he would have been in at least his mid-seventies when he got sucked into the shadow world.  Seems a bit old for superheroing it up.  

Which might be why its appropriate that Beth now has the mantle - no physical prowess required.

6 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Probably the same place where we saw Dr. Midnite.

I feel sorry for Dr. Midnite if he's going to be stuck in that place with no one but Cindy for company.

The episode description said epic showdown, and I was skeptical about that.  But wow, I guess they weren't kidding.  I was not expecting the end of the junior ISA storyline so quickly.  

Six episodes in, and still no S.T.R.I.P.E.  Not that I really care, but I can't help but keep track.  Now Mike wants a mini STRIPE.  "Sure, son, we can build you a robot outfit that we'll leave sitting in the garage too".

I can't help but feel a little weirded out every time Barbara encourages her daughter to go out and fight as Stargirl, especially with her husband lying there unconscious.  She's definitely a New Age parent.

• Love 1

Lights turning on and off, mysterious eclipses, oh yeah, shit is going to go down. This season has certainly gone hard on the horror and intensity, and this episode also returned to one of the shows favorite reoccurring themes, murdered children. Seriously, for a show that has often marketed itself as a more family or teen friendly show, it also features a shockingly high body count of teenagers, often killed in pretty grisly ways. Eclipso certainly did make one hell of a first real showing, effortlessly taking out the JSA and The Shade, killing and sucking the soul out of Isaac, shutting down the cosmic staff, apparently drowning Cindy in a puddle of goop, and then walking off into the night in his creepy kid form, cackling creepily. Eclipso was certainly worth the hype so far, no wonder even Shade is wary of him. I knew that this season was going to be extra creepy after the season opened with a creepy kid murdering a little girl, but they are really leaning into the horror this season. I am liking it as a horror fan, but it does certainly feel like a change. 

This episode was intense all around, and while I wish that the new IJL had stuck around for awhile longer after so much time building them up, I did think that their fights were really good, especially the big brawl between the whole group, with everyone getting some really cool moments to show off their unique abilities. They have clearly been saving up budget for this fight, and it really showed. This show doesn't do a ton of big fights, but when it does, the fight choreography is normally on point, and it was in top form here. Although, for the love of God, could someone please teach Beth how to throw a punch? Or at least some basic self defense, she cannot just keep going into fights without anything other than Googles and her Halloween costume, Rick wont be able to jump in front of arrows for her every time. Poor Pat, its admirable that he didn't want to hurt kids, but even if he was willing to fight back more he probably still would have lost against Artemis and Isaac. I love that Artemis stopped Isaac from dealing the final blow because Pat's friends with her dad, Pat's weird friendemy thing with Sportsmaster saved his life. She really is her parents daughter, weird moral code and all. 

Mike with the toaster for the win! No one does improvised weaponry like Mike does! I really hope that he and Pat do get to building him his own robot or something, its clear that he is involved in this no matter how much Pat and Barbara don't want him to be, and he needs to be ready. As we've seen, the bad guys have no compunctions against hurting kids. A tough week for Courtney's family in general, I liked the end when they were all just sitting in the hospital together taking everything in. 

I did end up actually feeling a bit sorry for Cindy in the end, realizing how much she had been played and getting seemingly killed as she begs for help, especially after seeing flashbacks to her as a scared kid. Although since we never actually saw her die I am guessing that she just got sent somewhere instead of killed, possibly the same place that Dr. Midnight was sent, although I doubt she is going to be having a great time there anyway. Poor Isaac is definitely dead though, and I agree with Yolanda that he really wasn't evil, just a messed up kid who was manipulated into fighting the JSA because he thought they killed his mom, he certainly didn't deserve that.

Looking forward to what the Shade does next, no way is that the last of him. Him actually trying to help the JSA and his disgust at how Eclipso hurts kids does seem to continue to point towards him being a much lesser evil than even the IJL was, which was probably why he left.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Although since we never actually saw her die I am guessing that she just got sent somewhere instead of killed

We haven't seen the last of Cindy, she's Stargirl's archnemesis, she's her Joker.

Edited by rmontro
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Mike out of nowhere should become his moniker - M.O.O.N!

I was really annoyed when I saw Beth entering the frame but she managed to score some points by freaking out Artemis with her parents mug shots and by scanning for Mike. Her costume is still ridiculous. And her parents still suck. Can't this girl have anything nice? I mean she's got Rick but I'm not sure where this is going.

Cindy's definitely not gone - but I guess once she's back she's pissed that Courtney did not manage to save her.

Eclipso seems to be a bit of a fashionista - the kid he merged into was wearing a sweater that picked up the green and gold color scheme of his villain doublet.

I loved Artemis showing the same warped sense of loyalty her parents have when she stopped Isaac from killing Pat. Not gonna miss Isaac - he was a one dimensional character and the violin just did not work for me.

Like others I find this season rather relentless doom and gloom. And Eclipso is not a fun villain like last seasons villains were. The Shade is intriguing though and probably the main reason I keep watching.

• Love 2

I cackled at Pat’s “Aren’t there any normal kids in this town?” 
Mike is right, he needs training. Him saying Cindy was going to kill him was one of those moments that felt a little too real. I was amused at Cindy revealing she didn’t want to recruit Mike, he was just bait. I do think she’ll come back blaming Courtney for dropping her into the void, but maybe she’ll be grateful for her trying.

And points to Artemis for stopping Isaac from killing Pat since he’s friends with her dad.

• Love 4

A very dark episode, both figurative and literal.

The kid at the end reminded me of the one on the first episode - where he took the little girl to the birthday party house.

The eclipse was weird - the moon would not have that kind of orange ring around it. 

Poor STRIPE, poor Pat, poor Shade. No idea where his loyalties lie.

Don't think Cindy is gone. Mike needs to realize that he and the other kids could be in very great danger. I do wonder how all the damage will be explained. Whether there is any video and if anyone will be charged for doing it. The villains do keep jobs for folks!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Frozendiva said:

A very dark episode, both figurative and literal.

The kid at the end reminded me of the one on the first episode - where he took the little girl to the birthday party house.

The eclipse was weird - the moon would not have that kind of orange ring around it. 

Poor STRIPE, poor Pat, poor Shade. No idea where his loyalties lie.

Don't think Cindy is gone. Mike needs to realize that he and the other kids could be in very great danger. I do wonder how all the damage will be explained. Whether there is any video and if anyone will be charged for doing it. The villains do keep jobs for folks!

I'm pretty sure it is the same kid. Right? imdb.com/name/nm5561542/?ref_=tt_cl_t_13

• Love 2

Watched this tonight because the CW affiliate aired Cardinals/Mets. And damn, this episode was darker than most of the shit the Mets can pull on their fans.

Hey, Beth can do offense shit with her goggles! Kind of! For God's sake, get her a weapon! I mean, nothing is forcing her to stay with the team, but it's painful to watch her in the field. And it got worse when Artemis was stalking her.  Once again: going after Beth is like kicking a puppy in the face. It's so mean.

I'm really hoping Pat takes his son under his wing, because this was the second time this season Mike was used as bait.

Welp, looks like Eclipso is out . . . and he's full-on early/mid-Nineties mode, meaning he's hideous and his ceiling for power and evil is high. Also, he whupped Shade around, which took some doing. Oh, and Isaac seemingly got his soul sucked out and Cindy got pulled into a puddle. Couldn't blame Courtney for trying to save the girl who threatened her, her family and friends.

Anyone else think that was the first time Artemis ran from a fight? On the other hand, she and Isaac did fuck up Pat, so she deserved the scare.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, MissLucas said:

And her parents still suck. Can't this girl have anything nice? I mean she's got Rick but I'm not sure where this is going.

She's still better off than Rick (dead parents, deadbeat uncle who hates his guts) and Yolanda (parents probably still treat her like a pariah). 

16 hours ago, rmontro said:

Now Mike wants a mini STRIPE.  "Sure, son, we can build you a robot outfit that we'll leave sitting in the garage too".

Too bad he doesn't live on Earth-prime since John Henry Irons, Luke Fox, or Ray Palmer could help him out with that.  The others could also stop by Star Labs or Lena Luthor's place to grab a fancy nanotech suit and save themselves the hassle of changing into costume.

• Love 1
On 9/15/2021 at 10:21 AM, Snapdragon said:

The info Beth sees in the goggles about him when she got them shows him born in 1914,  so presumably there's something like that or the JSA time jumping or being frozen in time at some point.  

drmidnite.png

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Too bad he doesn't live on Earth-prime since John Henry Irons, Luke Fox, or Ray Palmer could help him out with that. 

John Henry Irons' suit makes S.T.R.I.P.E look like a big, slow tin can.

• LOL 2
On 9/15/2021 at 8:49 PM, rmontro said:

We haven't seen the last of Cindy, she's Stargirl's archnemesis, she's her Joker.

I know this is supposed to be the case, but really, it bugs me that it is so.

You don't bring a shiv to a cosmic staff fight. Or in other words, someone who can fly and blast things from a distance should have no trouble beating someone who has no sort of ranged attack. 

5 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I know this is supposed to be the case, but really, it bugs me that it is so.

You don't bring a shiv to a cosmic staff fight. Or in other words, someone who can fly and blast things from a distance should have no trouble beating someone who has no sort of ranged attack. 

And yet, in chess, a pawn could take out a queen.

IDK. I was always struck by how similar Cindy is physically to Courtney except for hair color. Almost like they are 2 of the same chess pieces, cast from the same mold in different colors. Their names even begin with the same letter —but pronounced differently.

But Cindy really never quite lived up to the arch nemesis archetype, so maybe she really is gone?

14 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

That makes sense, but in this case Cindy had the black diamond, which served as a ranged weapon of sorts.  I think she can also throw her knives.  We've also seen Courtney doesn't have the sense to stay back and blast her with the staff.  

• Love 2
19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But Cindy really never quite lived up to the arch nemesis archetype, so maybe she really is gone?

They spent so much time with her backstory, even giving us a glimpse of Mum this season, that I'm convinced she's not gone for good. Who knows they probably even try to give her a redemption arc.

• Love 2
On 9/14/2021 at 6:32 PM, Primal Slayer said:

Yet IIRC, Rick was diagnosed with a broken rib!  Even someone with a bruised rib would be in an awful lot of pain!  Even breathing would be a strain!  He seemed like it was no big deal - like a paper cut!  He should have his chest wrapped.

As Hourman, he should have been able to pummel Artemis!  Not buying even she could hurt him while he has enhanced strength.

I wasn't expecting Shade to get taken out like he was, but I'm sure he'll be back at some point.  Interesting how Eclipso mentioned they got their powers from the same source.  What would that be?

Nice to see Pat wouldn't hit a kid (the man is nothing if not honorable) but Artemis really put the hurting on him!  

Sorry Issac Bowin!  We hardly know ye!  It was interesting he used the violin differently than his parents did.  I think hypnosis would have been more powerful than musical punches.

Cindy will surely be back -  I'm sure she's in the Shadow Realm.  Having one of her shives ripped off must have hurt like the dickens!

The staff is dark again!  What will it take to get glowing again this time?  Is this going to be a job for [original] Star Man??  Last we saw him, he was chatting it up with Pat's ex.

I'm glad Mike wasn't going to go against his family, but I don't blame him for feeling vulnerable since bait seems to be his middle name.  That must change!  Maybe Zeek can build him something for a fight.

I got a giggle when Artemis ran from the fight  - I don't blame her,  she realized she was way out of her depth.  It seems the ISA 2.0 is kaput. 

12 hours ago, MissLucas said:

They spent so much time with her backstory, even giving us a glimpse of Mum this season, that I'm convinced she's not gone for good. Who knows they probably even try to give her a redemption arc.

I'd like that.  You could see shades of Cindy and Courtney potentially being friends when they were science partners in class.  She still has some humanity in her.  I just hope she doesn't get pissed at Courtney losing her grip when she went into the Shadowlands.

Well, dang. Was hoping the Junior ISA would be around longer. Since this was going to be the only JSA vs. JISA fight, I'm glad they decided to make it count! Too bad for the school property -- does this mean summer school is cancelled?

Again, I'm NOT into the horror theme with Eclipso; but I'm not out -- yet.

On 9/15/2021 at 5:03 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Why did they even introduce her if they were just going to send her away?

Edited by Trini
AArghh! dropped the "not" !
On 9/15/2021 at 10:16 PM, MissLucas said:

Eclipso seems to be a bit of a fashionista - the kid he merged into was wearing a sweater that picked up the green and gold color scheme of his villain doublet.

As others have mentioned, that was Bruce, the creepy kid from the season opener. (Name is a hat-tip to Bruce Gordon, Eclipso's original alter-ego in the comics.)

I'm hoping that Jade and Jakeem (who got the Thunderbolt pen) make it back this season.

Those whole two acts, the fight with the kids, Shade's entrance, everything with Eclipso... I think this may be the best single episode of DCTV I've seen since Crisis on Earth-X.

I was hoping that Issac would find out that the JSA had nothing to do with his mother's death; that was Artemis's parents.

Edited by MarkHB
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, MarkHB said:

As others have mentioned, that was Bruce, the creepy kid from the season opener. (Name is a hat-tip to Bruce Gordon, Eclipso's original alter-ego in the comics.)

Bruce Gordon was also named in Chapter Four as the explorer who rediscovered Diablo Island. I speculate Eclipso may be in his body and he wanted to revert to childhood or something (like Peter Pan in OUAT).

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I was hoping that Issac would find out that the JSA had nothing to do with his mother's death; that was Artemis's parents.

Although we don't know if the original JSA had something to do with his dad's death and he said "parents", plural.

For that matter, Cindy wouldn't know that Sportsmaster and Tigress killed the principal, right, since she wasn't there? So as far as she knows, she could be telling the truth.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness