Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Twist

• Start Topic

Does everyone know Tim Kono now?? LOL

I felt it was a little slow in the middle (except for Oliver getting pwned by the horticulturists!) but the first and last few minutes were fun. Next Tuesday is so far off, but at least every minute that goes by is one minute closer.

I have no new theories based on today’s episode. I’m really eager to hear everyone else’s.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Love 4

"Brazzos was one of 3 DVD sets in the prison library. "

"God! Prison sounds like hell. Lol.

I love the soundtrack coming in at the end. I am 70% sure there was a bassoon in there somewhere.

Edited by sjankis630
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 7

Roy Wood Jr. and Brain Freeze in the same episode! A great episode for comedy, not so much for moving the plot along. I thought the Hardy Boys was stealing stuff out of people's apartments, but it seems like they are saying the jewelry wasn't from what they took. I wonder if it is worth a lot?

When has a Black Market Jewelry Fence not been sketchy?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Ha.  This was my least favorite episode so far but I still did enjoy quite a bit of it.  I laughed when Oliver gave Charles a sincere speech why Charles might be upset but then said he needed to get a better recording of that and Charles shot back "you fucker." 

The horticulturist podcasters who gave Oliver and Charles a ride were great as well.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Ha.  This was my least favorite episode so far but I still did enjoy quite a bit of it.  I laughed when Oliver gave Charles a sincere speech why Charles might be upset but then said he needed to get a better recording of that and Charles shot back "you fucker." 

The horticulturist podcasters who gave Oliver and Charles a ride were great as well.

You fucker!  (Just kidding, I love you to bits!) 

• LOL 7

Kind of hope we see the horticulturist podcasters again.  Their interactions with Charles and Oliver were fun: especially when it was revealed how successful they were, after Oliver was being patronizing at first.

Maybe a bit filler-like on some levels, but I thought the episode had some good character moments like diving into the Mabel/Oscar (who was totally Tye Dye Guy) relationship some more, and also getting more Charles/Oliver banter and bonding, which is always a plus because Steve Martin and Martin Short are just always a delight when they are playing off one another.  Sure, solving the murder is top priority here, but I'm not against just an episode of the riffing on one another and singing goofy songs together either!

Speaking of the murder, it now looks like Tim was possibly connected to some kind of black market jewelry dealer and that could end up playing a part in all that went down.  Also, Oscar apparently heard the gunshot, so they now know the exact time (or at least close to it) when Tim was attacked.  Unless there was more than one gunshot throughout the night...

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

I will never not laugh when Oliver pulls out his boom mic out of nowhere, it gets me every single time. "You fucker"

We finally meet the often discussed but rarely seen Oscar, who is actually the tie die hoodie guy, and seems like a pretty nice guy. He wants to start a yoga studio now that he's out of jail! I don't think he killed Tim Kono, it seems too obvious now, but I do think he will be key in solving at least one of the murders. Its possible that the jewelry ring is a red herring, it will seem important and might show as some more sides to Tim, that he was still solving mysteries or was trying to do something good after leaving Oscar hanging, but the killing of him and Zoey wont be connected and it will be something of a diversion before we get to the real killer closer to the end. Although, it is interesting how jewelry seems to be a reoccurring part of both murders, with Tim investigating or being involved in some kind of black market jewelry ring while hording jewelry and Zoey using Oscar's dads key to steal jewelry from residents in the past. Is that actually the reason Zoey was killed in the past? She stole some jewelry she really shouldn't have stolen, found out about the ring, and was killed to hush her up by the criminals involved? Then its possible that Tim was trying to get inside the ring to bust it and find out who really killed Zoey and exonerate Oscar, and was killed by the same people who killed Zoey when he got too close? 

Loved the horticulture podcasters, I hope that we see them again. And that they keep getting bigger and bigger every time they show up while they're podcast only has about six listeners, to Oliver's dismay. 

• Like 2
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Speaking of the murder, it now looks like Tim was possibly connected to some kind of black market jewelry dealer and that could end up playing a part in all that went down.  Also, Oscar apparently heard the gunshot, so they now know the exact time (or at least close to it) when Tim was attacked.  Unless there was more than one gunshot throughout the night...

Also depends if Oscar is telling the truth. I assume he is cause he lied at first, but who knows.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Much applause!!! Best episode yet!!! Woo hoo!!  Go team!!!!  LOVED IT!!!!

Ditto! I was practically rubbing my hands together with glee. Now we're getting somewhere! (albeit a tattoo parlor --on Long Island??)

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

We finally meet the often discussed but rarely seen Oscar, who is actually the tie die hoodie guy

But really, were any of us surprised? 

2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Also, Oscar apparently heard the gunshot, so they now know the exact time (or at least close to it) when Tim was attacked.  Unless there was more than one gunshot throughout the night...

Sound the Law & Order Cha-Ching!

14 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I felt it was a little slow in the middle (except for Oliver getting pwned by the horticulturists!) but the first and last few minutes were fun. Next Tuesday is so far off, but at least every minute that goes by is one minute closer.

I have no new theories based on today’s episode. I’m really eager to hear everyone else’s.

Not so much a theory as spotting a Chekhovian cactus--
When Charles is holding the cactus very close to his face, the horticulture guy cautions : 

• "If your hand swells up after touching that thing, don't touch your eye."

My elderly uncle recently touched his eye after trimming my aunt's cactus and wound up in the ER with his eye swelled shut in agony.
It just seems like too specific of a line, and too random that they got a ride with horticulturists with a cactus.
I bet it comes up again.

And:
Mabel actually carries a knitting needle with her! 
I thought it was just a dream knitting needle.
Will she pull it out again?

ETA: Welp. There goes my Mabel-the-Murderer theory down the drain. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Mabel actually carries a knitting needle with her! 

Yeah, that was bizarre. I get arming yourself if you're a woman walking alone in a big city, but the needle seems like it wouldn't be a good choice for several reasons.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Much applause!!! Best episode yet!!! Woo hoo!!  Go team!!!!  LOVED IT!!!!

43 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Ditto! I was practically rubbing my hands together with glee. Now we're getting somewhere! (albeit a tattoo parlor --on Long Island??)

Ha ha!  I kept clapping!  I thoroughly enjoyed this episode and the word play.  The sequence of Oliver and Charles talking about what happened to them in the Hamptons (and other locations) was really funny. 😆

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Ha ha!  I kept clapping!  I thoroughly enjoyed this episode and the word play.  The sequence of Oliver and Charles talking about what happened to them in the Hamptons (and other locations) was really funny. 😆

And their singing!❤️

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, grandmabegum said:

Yeah, that was bizarre. I get arming yourself if you're a woman walking alone in a big city, but the needle seems like it wouldn't be a good choice for several reasons.

I can imagine some negatives, but you can't carry knives, sprays, or other weapons in the city. You're not going to be arrested for possessing knitting needles (as long as you're not walking around stabbing people anyway.)

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, grandmabegum said:

The only experience I have with "the law" and knitting needs is my mom having hers taken away from her at airport security.

And I have never had mine taken away by airport security. Odd. Scissors, yes, but not knitting needles. They are permitted on flights. 

1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

And I have never had mine taken away by airport security. Odd. Scissors, yes, but not knitting needles. They are permitted on flights. 

59 minutes ago, grandmabegum said:

Perhaps it's just that my 85 year old mother is very intimidating.

Haha. But I think it's metal vs. plastic knitting needles. The plastic ones are allowed on planes. 
Were yours plastic, @cardigirl?

1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

They weren't permitted for a couple years after 9/11.  They started allowing them again somewhere around 2004, I think.  I remember being on a plane around them (somewhere between 2004-2008) and seeing a stewardess knitting, so I asked her about it and she said that they'd just started allowing them again.

• Useful 2

I think you're both right. My mom's were metal and it wasn't that long after 9/11. It always makes me chuckle though cause when I was in middle school my soccer team and I flew to Europe to play (we were not great, it was one of those sister cities things]. Anyway, one of the guys got on the plane not realizing he had a hunting knife in his backpack. Wasn't stopped once by security.

Edited by grandmabegum
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Haha. But I think it's metal vs. plastic knitting needles. The plastic ones are allowed on planes. 
Were yours plastic, @cardigirl?

I've flown with metal, wood, plastic, straight, circular, and dpns. I think if they were ever barred at all, it was for just a short time after 9/11. I remember knitting blogs discussing it. One woman had a passenger ask her to move her seat because he didn't feel safe sitting next to someone using knitting needles (she was making socks). She didn't move but he did. 

Mabel certainly wields her one knitting needle like a dangerous weapon. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Mabel certainly wields her one knitting needle like a dangerous weapon.

Analysis of a woman that successfully fought off a murder attempt by using skills she saw on Walking Dead said that one should always go with what you dream/fantasize about as a weapon.  You’ll be comfortable with it and you will know you can succeed.  So using that theory Mabel should absolutely carry a knitting needle since she’s comfortable with it.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

Analysis of a woman that successfully fought off a murder attempt by using skills she saw on Walking Dead said that one should always go with what you dream/fantasize about as a weapon.  You’ll be comfortable with it and you will know you can succeed.  So using that theory Mabel should absolutely carry a knitting needle since she’s comfortable with it.

Makes sense. When I was about 20, I successfully out-talked, out-ran, and out-screamed my would-be attackers on 3 separate occasions.
However, the screaming was a one-off. I'm really a terrible screamer. 

I wonder if the writers heard about the woman who used her Walking Dead fantasy skills.

Anyway, since this was a sort of Chekhov's knitting needle, I am going to be expecting cactus milk in the eye of someone,  hopefully a murderer.

• Mind Blown 1

I liked this one but as others have stated it was way too short. It barely got going before it all came to an end.

Also what exactly does a black market jeweler do? Does he sell stolen Jewelry or is it somehow just sold outside of regulation? Does something like that exist for jewelry? What about ebay etc? Isn't that the same thing?

I am a little confused but I am starting to worry a bit with the amount of characters that they are introducing who are not even in the building. I fear it may lead to too many red herrings and we end up with a situation where a whole bunch of loose ends are all tied up neatly in the last couple of episodes.

How many episodes are there slated to be anyway? I am going on vacation the week of 10/2 - 10/9 and was hoping that I could discuss this with my family but it may not be over by then.

Edited by sjankis630
  • Love 3

Ten episodes. Finale is October 19.

The black market jewelry thing is weird, but I imagine is run like any other type of black market -- so either stolen or illegal for some reason.

I second your concerns about the number of people outside the building. I also read a casting spoiler which I will not share here, but it is someone not in the building.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

What some are responding to as too short, I responded to as a waste of a half hour. Same issue, different take. In my view, they didn't need another half hour to get to something interesting, they failed to get to something interesting in the time they had.

I wonder if it was driven (no pun intended) by the requirement, for budget reasons, to have one low-cost episode. I'm guessing all the interior car shots were done in the studio with green screen. It seemed like two-thirds of the episode consisted of those shots. Well, that's one way to save money.

• Useful 2

I predicted that after they established the murder mystery part of the story, they would pivot to the comedy portion of the story. This is Martin and Short we are talking about, who did a comedy tour together, I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of their dialogue is improvisation, trying to make the other one laugh. I was expecting a few episodes where the two male characters would be bumbling along misinterpreting the clues, so this episode didn't seem unexpected to me at all. I will go so far as to predict that the 3 leads never actually figure out who the murderer is, but instead the murderer will reveal themselves to them in an attempt to stop them from continuing to investigate/stop the podcast.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

It’s so hard to wait a week for new episodes when they gave us 3 at once in the beginning! I can see why a friend of mine won’t watch things until all episodes have dropped…

You can digest them better once a week (assuming you are watching other shows as well).

I binged 15 seasons of Supernatural over a few months and I can barely remember that much about them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 9/14/2021 at 1:26 AM, CraftyHazel said:

It really is!  These need to be one hour episodes, because I’m always stunned when it just…stops, right when it’s picking up such great momentum.

Also wish it wasn’t on Hulu with its too many commercials. Pay for tv, still suffer through commercials😡

• Love 3
On 9/14/2021 at 3:48 PM, cardigirl said:

Except for the part about, what town was it & balls? Sorry having a senior moment 🙂. Loved hearing all the familiar places till they ruined it with juvenile “humor”. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

Also wish it wasn’t on Hulu with its too many commercials. Pay for tv, still suffer through commercials😡

I’m not 100% sure—   
but I think if you let the episode run while you go do something else, and time yourself to come back during the closing credits (at the beginning you can check the exact runtime for the episode) you can go back to the beginning and see it without commercials   
—but there *may* still be empty pauses where the commercials were (I think it depends on what platform you’re watching on)

Or pay for the commercial-free version  —with family/friends?

• Useful 2

It was a trivial episode but I enjoyed most of it.  It gave Oliver and Charles time to freak out about Mabel lying and come to terms with it, with some laughs along the way.

Steve Martin and Martin Short were a lot of fun on the chase.  I laughed when Charles slid into an accent to list his Long Island nieces "Dawn Danielle, Dina and Dagmar."

I think that was some foreshadowing about Cinda Canning from the horticulture podcasters. 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I’m not 100% sure—   
but I think if you let the episode run while you go do something else, and time yourself to come back during the closing credits (at the beginning you can check the exact runtime for the episode) you can go back to the beginning and see it without commercials   
—but there *may* still be empty pauses where the commercials were (I think it depends on what platform you’re watching on)

Or pay for the commercial-free version  —with family/friends?

So infuriating that we pay for tv with commercials then they want you to pay even more for no commercials. I shell out a crazy amount of money each month for Internet & television. There should be a law about these companies ripping  us off. 

• Love 3

I'm mostly enjoying this show but I'm finding it really uneven. Martin Short is emerging as my favourite, and I always like Steve Martin. 

One stumbling block for me is that I really, really don't like Selena Gomez in this role. I went into it with an open mind, but her voice and her character (but mostly her voice) grate on me so badly. I don't even know why. Her constant use of the F word is jarring too (well, not just hers) because it somehow doesn't fit the light, fun vibe of the show. The whole scene of her leaping on tie-dye guy, screaming and swearing and threatening to stab him in the face? Is this something people do? It was a little too OTT for me, and didn't make her character any more relatable or likeable. But mostly it's her voice. 

My favourite parts are probably Martin and Short together, plus certain random characters, like the horticulturalists, who surprise me and make me laugh. Every scene with Martin Short makes me smile. 

On 9/14/2021 at 4:02 PM, shapeshifter said:

Not so much a theory as spotting a Chekhovian cactus--

There's a sentence you don't see often... 

On 9/15/2021 at 1:42 AM, sjankis630 said:

Also what exactly does a black market jeweler do? 

I know! If he sells stolen jewelry, isn't he just a fence? I mean, other than stolen, what kind of jewelry is illegal to sell? Unless they're importing jewelry without paying taxes, etc. which is actually pretty boring as crimes go. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, Bobcatkitten said:

So did anyone else pick up on this? Oscar was going upstairs while everyone was going down and then he said he heard the gunshot. Why were they being evacuated already then if he wasn't dead yet? 

I assumed someone pulled the fire alarm in order to facilitate the murder of Tim. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I know! If he sells stolen jewelry, isn't he just a fence? I mean, other than stolen, what kind of jewelry is illegal to sell? Unless they're importing jewelry without paying taxes, etc. which is actually pretty boring as crimes go. 

Blood diamonds maybe? I honestly don't know.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Melina22 said:

The whole scene of her leaping on tie-dye guy, screaming and swearing and threatening to stab him in the face? Is this something people do?

It was kind of a call back to the first episode when she was introduced.  She was talking about watching Dateline to find out how not to end up on Dateline, and being prepared for attackers by listening to murder podcasts.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6