Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Twist

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

She was talking about watching Dateline to find out how not to end up on Dateline, and being prepared for attackers by listening to murder podcasts.

Good point. As an avid Dateline watcher, I remember thinking her remark about watching Dateline so she wouldn't end up on Dateline was really funny. 😁

• Love 4
On 9/17/2021 at 8:20 PM, Melina22 said:

Good point. As an avid Dateline watcher, I remember thinking her remark about watching Dateline so she wouldn't end up on Dateline was really funny. 😁

I liked it too because when I watch Dateline I always find myself saying, "If I'm found dead in these circumstances it is for sure murder!" 

• LOL 3

Did anyone else find it interesting for the show to have that moment where the doorman (I forgot his name) found Charles's fedora and gave it back to him, right before the took off to follow Mabel? Or was there a fedora-losing moment in a previous episode that I missed?

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 9/14/2021 at 7:19 PM, shapeshifter said:

Makes sense. When I was about 20, I successfully out-talked, out-ran, and out-screamed my would-be attackers on 3 separate occasions.
However, the screaming was a one-off. I'm really a terrible screamer. 

I wonder if the writers heard about the woman who used her Walking Dead fantasy skills.

Anyway, since this was a sort of Chekhov's knitting needle, I am going to be expecting cactus milk in the eye of someone,  hopefully a murderer.

I would imagine the writers have heard about the woman using the Walking Dead fantasy skills as it was the daughter from Dirty John.  When he attempted to abduct and murder her she killed him like a walker.  I believe she was stabbed a lot in the process, but it's been a long while since I've listened to that podcast.

On 9/17/2021 at 3:39 AM, Melina22 said:

I know! If he sells stolen jewelry, isn't he just a fence? I mean, other than stolen, what kind of jewelry is illegal to sell? Unless they're importing jewelry without paying taxes, etc. which is actually pretty boring as crimes go. 

Blood diamonds are illegal to sell, so are gems smuggled in from embargoed countries.  There's other specifics around gem smuggling like under-declaring or declaring a different origin that are less likely to get caught (these are specific to smuggling into the US, not smuggling out of the originating countries).  You can also reset stones from stolen jewelry into new pieces.  I think there's a laser ID engraved into diamonds now to make this harder, but obviously it's not visible to the naked eye and you'd have to be looking for it.  All of my jewel thief knowledge comes from TV and movies though so ymmv.

• Wink 1
  • Love 1

I laughed at Charles and Oliver running out of the building, Oliver getting his car, Charles being shocked that Oliver has a car and then Oliver making Charles drive because his license expired 25 years ago.

I also had to laugh at the randomness of them getting a ride from horticulture podcasters.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I laughed at Charles and Oliver running out of the building, Oliver getting his car, Charles being shocked that Oliver has a car and then Oliver making Charles drive because his license expired 25 years ago.

I also had to laugh at the randomness of them getting a ride from horticulture podcasters.

I loved how Oliver climbed into the backseat, like he was being chauffeured, and Charles didn’t blink an eye.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 10/12/2021 at 1:35 PM, MaggieG said:

Also “You pay for PARKING HERE!?”

Oliver, sell your car and stop paying for parking and you might be able to afford to stay a few months longer!!

I laughed so hard when the cousin came out of the gas station on the phone and was like “I need to let you go, my cousin just picked up two white boys” and hung up.

• Love 6
On 9/17/2021 at 3:39 AM, Melina22 said:

I know! If he sells stolen jewelry, isn't he just a fence? I mean, other than stolen, what kind of jewelry is illegal to sell? Unless they're importing jewelry without paying taxes, etc. which is actually pretty boring as crimes go.

Conflict stones mostly, illegally obtained stones but also forgeries.

Also did anyone else notice that Aphrodite still seemed to have California plates?

On 9/16/2021 at 5:49 AM, chediavolo said:

Except for the part about, what town was it & balls? Sorry having a senior moment 🙂. Loved hearing all the familiar places till they ruined it with juvenile “humor”. 

It was Sag Harbor.  Being a Long Island resident,  that part had me in stitches.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I knew Tie Dye Guy would be important because of the misdirect in the other episode. 

I wish this had been funnier or there had been more momentum but I enjoyed this episode. It felt like things were happening and they weren't just chasing false leads. 

Yeah, that was bizarre. I get arming yourself if you're a woman walking alone in a big city, but the needle seems like it wouldn't be a good choice for several reasons.

Me: I should start carrying knitting needles

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 9/17/2021 at 9:11 PM, MisterGlass said:

It was kind of a call back to the first episode when she was introduced.  She was talking about watching Dateline to find out how not to end up on Dateline, and being prepared for attackers by listening to murder podcasts.

On 9/17/2021 at 9:20 PM, Melina22 said:

And as an avid Dateline watcher I know that the best way not to end up on Dateline is to never ever "light up a room."

On 11/5/2021 at 6:29 PM, Lugal said:

Also did anyone else notice that Aphrodite still seemed to have California plates?

I didn't, but I did notice that Aphrodite's little dashboard hula dancer was on Oliver's windowsill in the opening credits.

Edited by Lovecat
  • Like 2
On 9/21/2021 at 6:19 PM, Abra said:

Did anyone else find it interesting for the show to have that moment where the doorman (I forgot his name) found Charles's fedora and gave it back to him, right before the took off to follow Mabel? Or was there a fedora-losing moment in a previous episode that I missed?

Pork Pie, not fedora! (I don't know how I knew that): https://fashionablehats.com/blogs/hat-articles/pork-pie-hat-vs-fedora

I did remark on how strange that moment was.  Did we miss Charles" hat being blown off/  A mistake in editing?  Is there a tracker in the hat now?  Weird.

On 6/14/2022 at 10:38 AM, Lovecat said:

I didn't, but I did notice that Aphrodite's little dashboard hula dancer was on Oliver's windowsill in the opening credits.

Good catch.

When I was watching, I felt like the camera focused on the hula dancer too many times (more than 1 would be too many), as if it had some added significance.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse