Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

"Welcome to Lagos" - After Bob and Abishola land in Lagos, they rush to rescue Dele from his dad's place and are a bit surprised at what they find once reunited. Also, Auntie Olu and Uncle Tunde explore their old stomping grounds and realize things have changed since their last visit to Nigeria, on the third season premiere of BOB ♥ ABISHOLA, Monday, Sept. 20 (8:30-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and available to stream live and on demand on Paramount+.

• Love 2

Finished it. So pissed they didn't clear up the Dele in Nigeria storyline. And I cannot believe Abishola is willing to leave him there.

Has anyone ASKED Dele what he truly wants?  I think he would say go back to the States with his mom. Sure he was having a nice time with his sisters and sure Tayo can get him in the best schools but he and his mom have a good connection.

Plus I don't like it when shows push out the kids. They did it with the show Mom. 

• Love 15

I like Dele, but he adds a layer of complication to Bob and Abishola that I don’t think is critical to the characters or story. Not asking him what he wants is a mistake, though. (Presuming he doesn’t ask to go back to America. He snuck out of his father’s house quickly enough.) Tunde’s disappointment, awww. I have a friend who loves negotiating — she’d be equally disappointed.

I’m looking forward to the family’s fish out of water wedding episode.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, DanaK said:

I was not expecting Abishola to be willing to let her son stay in Nigeria

“Willing to” let Dele stay in Nigeria doesn’t quite describe how Abishola feels about Dele staying in Nigeria. Maybe more like “broken-heartedly resigned” that it is a sacrifice she must make for Dele’s welfare?

ETA:
I wonder if a religious relative is going to bring up the biblical story of the 2 women who each claimed a baby was hers (one was lying because her baby died) and so Wise King Solomon said he would cut the baby in half knowing that the real mother would then offer the baby to the other woman to spare the life of her child.
Or maybe they will just have the script tell a version of the story.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, JH Lipton said:

They have, repeatedly, and he wants to stay.  Yes, he left Tayo's home, but only because he wouldn't disobey his mom.

I dont know about that. To me it looked like he's just obeying Taylo as much as he's obeying Abishola when she took him from Tayo's home.

Except for telling them he likes to dance, Dele has never really voiced his personal opinion.

• Love 10

The time I remember Abishola asking Dele if he wanted to stay, Tayo was there looking hard at Dele, and I understood that Dele said he did so as not to risk Tayo's wrath if he said he want to go back. I don't think Dele has been given the opportunity to say honestly what he wants. And he probably feels torn. I hope he ultimately is permitted to go back. 

Bob sweating like crazy! Tunde's slyly trying to negotiate prices, like he was able to do 20 years ago, was a hoot! Did Olu not sweat under her hat? Then Bob's family trying to negotiate getting into Nigeria, and Kemi just breezing on by, was funny and difficult.

• Love 9

It's nice to have the show back.  Billy Gardell looks like he lost weight but they made him wear his old size shirt.

His face looks like he has lost weight, but  his body looks like he hasn't had skin removal surgery, and probably has to wear the large shirt to hide loose skin.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The weirdest thing about Nigeria to me was that section filled with cheap shacks and the boats seemed to be an old African style, I am surprised there were no modern boats on that part of the river. I am surprised some rich person wasn't trying to get there hands on that land.

3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The weirdest thing about Nigeria to me was that section filled with cheap shacks and the boats seemed to be an old African style, I am surprised there were no modern boats on that part of the river. I am surprised some rich person wasn't trying to get there hands on that land.

Nigeria may be more wealthy than Sierra Leone, but those scenes looked very familiar to me, as that is how Sierra Leone and Freetown looked when I visited there. And yes, it was HOT! 

• Useful 1

Someone not associated with the family needs to talk to Dele and ask him for real what he really wants.  Maybe he does want to go back to Detroit where he can dance with his friends -- and his girlfriend.  That might not be what Abishola and Tayo want, but Dele's old enough to have a say.  I don't know if he'd be honest with Bob or any of his family or not.  

Did they actually film some of this in Lagos, or was that stock footage of Lagos?  Or of somewhere else?

Poor Tunde.  No one wanted to play with him.

• Love 8

I liked it.  Lots of interesting stuff going on. 

On 9/20/2021 at 9:15 PM, greekmom said:

Finished it. So pissed they didn't clear up the Dele in Nigeria storyline. And I cannot believe Abishola is willing to leave him there.

Has anyone ASKED Dele what he truly wants?  I think he would say go back to the States with his mom. Sure he was having a nice time with his sisters and sure Tayo can get him in the best schools but he and his mom have a good connection.

Plus I don't like it when shows push out the kids. They did it with the show Mom

Isn’t it ironic that the actor who played Baxter on Mom is on this show. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I love this show. I don’t think Dele should remain in Nigeria. Tayo dumped them many years ago and, despite becoming rich, never sent Abishola a penny in child support. Deadbeat dad comes back around now that Dele is nearly grown and wants to be a “Dad.” Nuts to that! Not a lot on the website for the British International School in Lagos, but I don’t think Dele will enjoy that school very much. Looks uptight and buttoned-down. Not much fun for an American kid who loves to dance.

Although, they might be trying to scale down the cast for budgetary reasons or Travis might want out of his contract to pursue other offers. Who knows?

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

I see a heartfelt conversation between Bob and Dele coming up.   I think he is the only one who cares more about Dele's preferences than what is 'best'.  Hard to say what is best in this case anyway.  High pressure school but also time with sisters, vs being a standout student at a city public school and existing friends.   Dele would be a great candidate for a top US school and you know Bob would help with college expenses.  

Hope he comes back to the US I think he adds a lot to the show.  

• Love 16
21 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Did they actually film some of this in Lagos, or was that stock footage of Lagos?  Or of somewhere else?

I don’t think so. When they were in the cab leaving the airport and looking at the city landscape, the blue screen effect was pretty clear on my tv.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Tunde's fake American accent was by far the funniest episode in the episode. Long live Tunde the unblinking! 

I really hope that they don't keep Dele in Nigeria, even if Abishola and Tayo think its the best thing for him. He might like some things about Nigeria, like being with the rest of his extended family, but he has a whole life in America, I dont know if he really would love to give all of that up. Every time he says he wants to stay, he's always looking pretty intently at Tayo, I think that he really just wants to please his dad and now his mom, instead of saying what he really wants. I hope that he and Bob can have a real heart to heart, Dele has often felt comfortable telling Bob things he feels like he cant tell his mom. I hope that Dele comes back with Bob and Abishola bring Dele back, the show would lose a lot without him around.

• Love 12

What I do like about this show is that there is really no villain in any of the episodes.  Of course, Tayo is the antagonist at this point, but he is not villainous - not 100% selfish, nor is he really mean, vindictive, malicious, etc.  He and Abishola are most definitely at odds over Dele, but neither is oblivious to the other's perspective or completely inflexible.  I like this because in real life, very few people are "all bad" and on TV that characterization is all too common and simply a stereotype and caricature.  I think BHA does a great job at avoiding this.  And even the "good guy" can be the "bad guy", like when Abishola mocked her nurse mentor and friend.  Still, the show is generally short on laughs.  It is more of a romance with humor than a sitcom.  I still find myself intrigued with these characters' story and coming back each week.  And yes, Uncle Tunde is the funniest fellow on the show.  He did that American accent so well, you'd almost think Tunde was an actor instead of. . .what the heck did Tunde actually do for a living, anyway?

• Love 9
2 hours ago, sd dude said:

what the heck did Tunde actually do for a living, anyway?

In the beginning, we were given the impression that Tunde and Olu were retired and relied on Abishola to help support the family. Later, that was retconned that Tunde actually owned several real estate properties and was, if not wealthy, at least well off.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Tunde's fake American accent was by far the funniest episode in the episode. Long live Tunde the unblinking! 

I had to look up the actor - Barry Shabaka Henley was born in NOLA making his Tunde's fake American accent from the Nigerian accent on the show even more impressive!

16 hours ago, sd dude said:

What I do like about this show is that there is really no villain in any of the episodes.  

Agreed.

I think they tuned down Tayo's assholeness and gaslighting crap in this season, or at least I hope they did. I much prefer this dynamic to the one we saw at the end of last season. This isn't about custody across the city, state or even country where it's easier to visit for a long weekend, or special event. This is an international, 13 hour flight (thanks, Google), to a completely different culture and environment and I can't recall this story played out on network TV before. I am here for it!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I don't know where I got this idea from, but for some reason I had the impression that Tunde and Olu owned a small chain of dry cleaners or commercial laundries.  I have absolutely no reason why I thought that, other than maybe Tunde's van?

Pretty sure that they are movin' on up to the Eastside, as well.  Until Bob starts walking on Tunde's back. . .

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 9/21/2021 at 4:20 PM, Browncoat said:

They did not film in Lagos. We just happened to go on the Warner Bros Studio Tour on Thursday afternoon, and the guide pointed out the parking lot they used to set up the outdoor shopping scenes. We also saw the outside of Bob’s house. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
  • Love 2

What's the rush with this couple marrying over in Nigeria? There is a scuffle going on about Dele; why add the chaos of a wedding to it? I still am trying to figure this show out. I still think they don't know each other well enough to actually marry at this time.

Judging by the outside of Abishola's mother's house...her family is wealthy also. Why then, do her aunt and uncle live in a small rental apartment? If they do own properties and rent them out for large income, as suggested here, shouldn't they at least own a small home with ample room for Abishola and her son? Just a bit confused here.

4 hours ago, floridamom said:

Judging by the outside of Abishola's mother's house...her family is wealthy also. Why then, do her aunt and uncle live in a small rental apartment? If they do own properties and rent them out for large income, as suggested here, shouldn't they at least own a small home with ample room for Abishola and her son? Just a bit confused here.

Yes.
Plus, would a manufacturer of just socks be as well off as Bob?

However, a huge disconnect between characters' homes, backstories, and their incomes is very common on TV, seemingly more so on comedies. 
For example, the Friends characters could never have afforded their huge Manhattan apartments.
And on Monk, Natalie did a lot of complaining about not having enough money to pay rent or buy groceries, but then we later meet her not-so-estranged wealthy family in their palatial digs. 

There are probably various reasons for this, perhaps including:

• After a show has been on for a few years the current writing team is less familiar with the characters' backstories.
  • There's a need for a larger set to tell the story (when the house is bigger than the income allows)
  • Maybe the writers think it's funny because they themselves live in closet-sized homes while their friends and family back in the Midwest think they are now Hollywood royalty?  
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

What's the rush with this couple marrying over in Nigeria? There is a scuffle going on about Dele; why add the chaos of a wedding to it? I still am trying to figure this show out. I still think they don't know each other well enough to actually marry at this time.

I wonder if it has to do with a potential custody battle. If Abishola is married and has a wealthy husband, it will be less struggling single mother vs. well-to-do married father, where courts could potentially side with the father (although I wonder if Nigerian courts would be inclined to side with the father regardless; what's the general status of women in Nigeria?)

Ulu and Tunde being well-off was a retcon, I believe, because I don't think that's what we were supposed to believe at the beginning. Or it could also be a case of living well under their means to build their fortune (although, they don't have any children so maybe they're saving for Dele and Abishola?). I'm not sure we could classify their Detroit apartment as small -- there have to be at least three bedrooms (Abishola's, Dele's, and Ulu and Tunde's) since they've never given any indication that anyone sleeps on the couch.

Aren't Tayo's and Abishola's mother's houses in gated communities? At the very least, they're have their own security systems. 

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

MaxDot might have very lucrative contracts with large institutions. I got the sense that they're not just business-to-consumer.

Someone mentioned above about this being a downer of an episode. I think most modern sitcoms today mix drama in with the comedy. I mean, look at "Mom," Chuck Lorre's most recent CBS sitcom. How on earth could a sitcom about alcoholics and drug addicts be funny? (That was the reason I didn't watch it for the first few seasons.)

I loved the tourist footage of Lagos. When I used to watch "House Hunters International," it was primarily for the tourist and house footage. I really didn't care at all about the participants.

• Love 1
On 9/25/2021 at 3:49 PM, LittleIggy said:

Canada’s travel advisory re: Nigeria: https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/nigeria 😬

Dele needs to go back to the US.

I really hope they don't go down that rabbit hole. It's such a bigger situation than this show can address.

9 hours ago, floridamom said:

I've never gotten the impression that Ulu and Tunde were poor, or struggling. They've always come across as 110% frugal.

And on the flip-side, Abishola has a career and could afford her own place with Dele but the current living arrangements is their cultural dynamics at play (and what the plot calls for)

• Love 1

The low cost of living in Nigeria compared to Detroit quickly explains the difference in housing.
If you have friends who have retired to Mexico or CostaRica, you know they have very nice homes and usually servants (although not livein) for less that remaining in Dearborn or Brooklyn or Los Angeles.
And of course, unlike those expats, the Nigerians actually speak Yoruba.

I noticed that Tayo's house had a security gate and fence, but Abishola's mother opened her own door. I don't know if this was plot-driven or an indication of status.  (Most of what I know of modern Nigeria comes from Nnedi Okorafor's novel Lagoon, which in passing includes a lot of information about wealth and status there. )

• Useful 3

The socks are made overseas. Packaging and order fulfillment uses a small staff.

I can see how Bob could pay himself over the $400,000 annually that is sometimes used as a measure of being wealthy. Certainly he could pay himself, and probably his mother, $200,000 without hurting the business.

There is no estate tax in Michigan, so his father's death would not have impacted the family's holdings.

And the house was built over 30 years ago, perhaps over 40, and the average house in Royal Oak is priced around $300K. (Royal Oak is the wealthy "white flight" suburb of Detroit. ) By comparison, the average in my neighbourhood is $1.2 million and we get a lot of people moving here from Vancouver for the lower housing costs.

• Useful 2

Rather than writing Dele off the show, maybe they are keeping him in Nigeria for a while so they can readily include Tayo and Abishola's mother in future episodes.  I would not like to see Dele written out; I like his character and he is a large part of his mother's life and the decisions she has made.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5