Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

(edited)

WEEK 5 • Oct. 11, 2021 — ONE asterisk  ONE Mattsterisk
*M 16. Countries of the World. Nazi Germany annexed this nation & divided it into regions of the Alps & the Danube; the Allies later divided it into 4 sectors.   *M
17. Publishing. Last name of brothers James, John, Joseph & Fletcher, whose co. published magazines with their name as well as books.
18. Sports Legends. When Johnny Bench broke his record, this man wrote, “I always thought the record would stand until it was broken.”
19. U.S. History. On Sept. 30, 1788 William Maclay & Robert Morris, both of Pennsylvania, were chosen as the first 2 these.
*20. Literature for Children. These stories got their collective title because little Josephine Kipling insisted they be told exactly the same way each time.*

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Week 5: 

4/5* + M* (The Final Mattsterisk 🙁)

Petit four, anyone?

image.png.b508c65ab2033220939b76fd82110bcd.png

Looks delicious!

I also got 4/5M*. Maybe during the TOC we will have to bring back the Mattsterisk.

I had held out hope for my first 5/5 week, but didn't know Friday's FJ. I did obviously pick up on Rudyard Kipling being the author, but had never heard of "Just So Stories".

@saber5055 I think your post is missing Thursday's FJ?

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, secnarf said:

had never heard of "Just So Stories".

I was looking through my books the other day to see if I had anything my mom might like and saw I had a copy of it in there. I remembering reading them as a kid but that was a long time ago...

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, secnarf said:
39 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's there - it's the US History one.

It was edited after I posted :)

Stop fighting you guys. @ams1001 messaged me that I missed U.S. History so I fixed my post. I've quit watching the show and so sort of lost interest in the FJs.

• LOL 2
6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Stop fighting you guys. @ams1001 messaged me that I missed U.S. History so I fixed my post. I've quit watching the show and so sort of lost interest in the FJs.

I am so sorry you have lost enjoyment in the show :( so kind of you to continue to run this contest though, which makes the show so much more fun (for me at least)!

I’m not sure if you are still testing yourself with the FJs or not, but I think you definitely get to sample food from all the tables each week, for all your dedication!!

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

In honor of the missed TS of eye opener I’m bringing Bloody Mary’s. I’m willing to custom make them to your individual taste (amount of heat and with or without horseradish). 

Make mine an extra large with atomic-level heat and extra horseradish. In fact, I'll take a bowl of horseradish on the side to dip the celery stick in. Bloody Marys contain all of my fav things. You can just slide it down the table to me since I'm at your T42.

Thank you @secnarf for your kind words. Going through some tough times at the Saber house these past weeks and Matt was my happy half-hour escape from RL. Now I don't even have that. I might be back after "that guy" is gone.

5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

In honor of the missed TS of eye opener I’m bringing Bloody Mary’s. I’m willing to custom make them to your individual taste (amount of heat and with or without horseradish). 

Can you make mine with ginger beer instead of tomato juice and lime instead of the horseradish and other stuff? 

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2

4/5, 1* and 1 M*. I had Just So Stories before the clue was over. I read a lot of Kipling as a child, so stories and Kipling were more than instant for me.

Saber, thank you so much for doing this and I hope things are better for you soon.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Make mine an extra large with atomic-level heat and extra horseradish. In fact, I'll take a bowl of horseradish on the side to dip the celery stick in. Bloody Marys contain all of my fav things. You can just slide it down the table to me since I'm at your T42.

You’ve got it. 

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Can you make mine with ginger beer instead of tomato juice and lime instead of the horseradish and other stuff? 

Absolutely. Never tried it that way, but I’m happy to make it for you and then put a little extra in the shaker so I can try it for myself. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

3/5  with the Mattstrisk but not the asterisk.    

I thought of lots of publishing names but not Harper.  When the answer was revealed I was like,"Oh!" and listed off the magazines but not before.   

And my father was absolutely obsessed with the poem If but he never read me Just So Stories.  I blame him for my not knowing them.   I mean my mom is the one who read to me so I could totally blame her, but I associate Kipling with my dad.  

• Love 5

4/5 this week with 1* and the M*.

Like others, I credit Sound of Music watching (and being lucky enough to visit a couple of times in my youth) for getting Austria.  I was trying to mentally spin through publishing houses in my brain for Tuesday but was not getting anywhere quickly enough to formulate an answer.

I got Yogi Berra quickly but it may also have been my favorite clue of the week since it reminded me of a Mother Grundoon story.  Years ago she was flying in to visit a friend in Palm Springs who picked her up curbside.  As Mom told it, this very nice "young" man from her flight had insisted on helping her with her luggage all the way to putting it in the trunk.  Mom had no clue who he was until our friend said you know that was Johnny Bench - Mom's sports radar was not huge but even she knew who that was  Good to know he was a nice young man (who was probably 60ish at the time). 

Senators was kind of a lucky guess but the Just So stories were an instaget - memories of being read them as a child by Father Grundoon and oddly I think they were mentioned in a mystery novel I read recently where the main character was reading to kids. 

I just made some pesto with some basil a friend gave me so I will offer up pesto and pasta for the T44. 

• Love 10
59 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

3/5 with asterisk and Mattstrisk.
I will just have a thimble-sized eye opener, but I brought celery sticks to pass around.

image.png.37c1db32a0a9e02ba0fab79027904371.png

@saber5055, let me know if you need more celery. I've got stalks and stalks.

Maybe I’ll add some boneless wings and bleu cheese dressing. I don’t drink Bloody Mary’s though.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

, let me know if you need more celery. I've got stalks and stalks.

Perfect! Yes to that.

50 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Maybe I’ll add some boneless wings and bleu cheese dressing.

That would cheer me considerably, I love me some wings and bleu cheese. And we're at the same T42. My brain hurts trying to think of something to bring and share.

@Grundoon59, great story as always. Lucky mom. I was fangirling just seeing Johnny Bench play in Cincinnati.

I figured Austria for Monday. Didn't know it was divided but didn't think Germany would divide Germany, which was my second guess. For publishing I could only come up with Simon and Schuster (after discarding Penguin). Hey, maybe those brothers were half brothers by a different mother. Yogi was an easy answer for Wednesday, me being a baseball fan and all. For U.S. History I picked the other "S" word, surveyors, since there was a surveyor FJ not long ago. For Children's Lit the only Kipling story I could come up with was Jungle Book, which I knew was wrong but whaddayagonnado.

Reading posts here made me realize that my mom never read stories to me. When I'd spend the night at my sister's MIL's (I called her my grandma), she would read The Little Red Hen to me every night, which thrilled me to death, I loved it so much. But it never occurred to me that my own mom would ever read me a bedtime story, I thought that was just for special sleepovers when I was a kid. Who knew.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

I don’t drink Bloody Mary’s

Would you like a mimosa? I even make a version with mango juice instead of OJ. 

35 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Reading posts here made me realize that my mom never read stories to me. When I'd spend the night at my sister's MIL's (I called her my grandma), she would read The Little Red Hen to me every night, which thrilled me to death, I loved it so much. But it never occurred to me that my own mom would ever read me a bedtime story, I thought that was just for special sleepovers when I was a kid. Who knew.

Same. Nobody ever read to me. I broke the cycle and read lots to my child to give her that joy I thought I was missing. Her house is full of books and the grandkids are readers too. Don’t sweat thinking about which food to bring. Why don’t you bring paper plates, napkins, red solo cups etc so nobody has to wash dishes? I’m happy as long as you bring yourself. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

And my father was absolutely obsessed with the poem If but he never read me Just So Stories. 

My dad had that poem on a tapestry hung on the wall for the past 30+ years.

It doesn't come up on Jeopardy as often as all of his other works, but it's the only one I know well. Didn't help me for Friday's FJ :(

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

red solo cups

A friend named one of her show dogs Red Solo Cup and I thought that was so weird. Later I learned there is a CW song of the same title. I still think it's a strange name for a dog. Cups yes, dogs no.

I'll bring the recyclable tableware for all the tables to share, and I'll be the one under the T42 scarfing bleu-cheese wings while downing a gigantic volcanic Bloody Mary with extra sticks.

I wouldn't mind someone reading me bedtime stories now. (I have a few people-who-read in mind.)

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

A friend named one of her show dogs Red Solo Cup and I thought that was so weird. Later I learned there is a CW song of the same title. I still think it's a strange name for a dog. Cups yes, dogs no.

My cousin and his wife (before they were married, I think) went to a Halloween party as a keg (he's a big guy) and a red solo cup.

32 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I wouldn't mind someone reading me bedtime stories now. (I have a few people-who-read in mind.)

Some of the meditation apps out there will read you stories...

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

3/5 with both the last M* and the regular *
I guessed Simon or Schuster (hoping for a 1/2 point from our illustrious judge), but ended up with zilch. For the sports question I at least knew Johnny Bench played baseball so guessed Babe Ruth. Evidently I was also supposed to know that Yogi Bera was some sort of a quipster. 
As much as I want to love Bloody Marys because I thought they were so sophisticated when I was a kid (ok, still do) I never developed a taste for them, so yes please to a mimosa. I have fresh squeezed orange juice in the fridge. 

@saber5055 - I’m sorry things aren’t great for you right now, and sincerely hope they are better soon xoxo 

• Love 6

I remember when my mom finished her household chores in the afternoon, she'd take a shower & put on her robe. I'd get onto her bed with her (sometimes my brother would join us) and she'd read stories to me/us until it was near time for my dad to come home from work. She'd get dressed & get ready to make him an iced coffee before she started making dinner.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't recall my mom ever reading to me, but then English was her second language and she might not have been comfortable with it. My Dad read The Travels of Jamie McPheters to the whole family. Mr. Starling, at the beginning-ish of our relationship, read the Hobbit to me. Unfortunately I kept falling asleep, his voice is so mellow. I fall asleep with audio books too, unless they're written and read by comedians. For some reason, that keeps me awake.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

😉 I bet you do. Hope things are better for you this week.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I'm sure my parents read to us when we were little, but I don't have any memories of it. I was a big reader when I was a kid so once I was able to I was reading for myself. They didn't pay much attention to what I was reading, either (not that I was reading anything inappropriate, but I doubt they would have noticed if I was). Pretty much every birthday/Christmas wish list included books.

This thread made me think of the song The Book I'm Not Reading by Patty Larkin. The chorus starts with "I need someone to read me stories."

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I'm sure my parents read to us when we were little, but I don't have any memories of it. I was a big reader when I was a kid so once I was able to I was reading for myself. They didn't pay much attention to what I was reading, either (not that I was reading anything inappropriate, but I doubt they would have noticed if I was). Pretty much every birthday/Christmas wish list included books.

This thread made me think of the song The Book I'm Not Reading by Patty Larkin. The chorus starts with "I need someone to read me stories."

My father thought censorship in reading was the responsibility of the parents, not anyone else. So he insisted I be allowed to check out "adult" level books at the base library. This was before there was a "young adult" category of books in libraries, and my reading level was well beyond grade school. Many of the books I checked out were true crime, and definitely inappropriate for my age at the time (12). One of the first was about the Boston Strangler, which was inappropriate in so many ways. Boy did I learn some stuff I'd rather I  hadn't learned.

However, my Dad didn't know that anything he put off limits at home, I most definitely read. It was years before I knew the Godfather had a plot - I skimmed through my father's copy to find all the "good" parts. Same with his Playboys (I found out dictionaries don't have definition for everything). I learned how to put things back exactly as he'd left them.

Like you, books have always been my preferred presents (or gift cards for books - even better sometimes).

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

My father thought censorship in reading was the responsibility of the parents, not anyone else. So he insisted I be allowed to check out "adult" level books at the base library. This was before there was a "young adult" category of books in libraries, and my reading level was well beyond grade school. Many of the books I checked out were true crime, and definitely inappropriate for my age at the time (12). One of the first was about the Boston Strangler, which was inappropriate in so many ways. Boy did I learn some stuff I'd rather I  hadn't learned.

If anything, I think my parents would have been more concerned about me reading stuff that might scare me. When my friend wanted to watch The Lost Boys when I was 11, my mom's biggest concern was that I knew it was scary, because she didn't want me sleeping in their bed. She didn't seem concerned about any other "inappropriate" themes in the movie. I discovered in high school that they had a copy of The Exorcist, as well as some other older fiction that was definitely not child-friendly, in the basement. Clearly they weren't worried about us potentially reading them. (I've never been a horror fan, though. I read some of RL Stine's teen stuff when I was a little older but not too much. Still haven't read The Exorcist.)

• Love 2
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Reading posts here made me realize that my mom never read stories to me.

I was a lucky 2-year-old.  My grandmother stayed with us for several months recovering from an injury, and read to me a lot.  Maybe she pointed to each word as she read it.  I was reading long before I started school.  (My first grade teacher disapproved, and complained to my mother, but it wasn't her "fault.")

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I skimmed through my father's copy to find all the "good" parts.

My dad read all the time and I read some age appropriate books but by the time I was in middle school/high school my dad gave me all of the books he liked and he read all the time and he read fast so there were a lot of books.   And lots of them had some sexy bits the way spy novels/crime novels/court novels did at the time but one of them was a Mario Puzo book The Last Don that ha a mutual masturbation scene that was so graphic I was like, "My dad just read this.  He knows I'm 12 right?"   

And somehow aside from having gotten it from my father everybody on my debate team read Richard North Patterson's Degree of Guilt within a few weeks of each other and the climax of that book is um sexual in nature and one day a fellow debater goes to me and says I want to do Degree of Guilt for my book report but... like... I have t talk about the climax in front of the class and.... um... so we agreed that a slightly different plot point was the climax and shook on it and the book report was given and it was all good.  I was on a debate trip with the the third book still in hardback my dad probably bought it the Tuesday it was released an we left on Thursday after school.  By Sunday night when we get back home half the team had read that copy of that book.  

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Driad said:

I was a lucky 2-year-old.  My grandmother stayed with us for several months recovering from an injury, and read to me a lot.  Maybe she pointed to each word as she read it.  I was reading long before I started school.  (My first grade teacher disapproved, and complained to my mother, but it wasn't her "fault.")

I do not understand teachers disapproving of kids reading above their grade level. My friend's younger son was reading grade 2-3 books in first grade, until one library day he came home with only grade 1 books. When she asked why he said his teacher said he wasn't allowed to get higher grade-level books anymore. She had a little chat with the teacher and the next week he was back to picking whatever he wanted. That was only the tip of the iceberg with their issues in their public school; they moved him to a private school that actually wanted to help him learn at his pace the next year. (He was an advanced reader but also has a learning disability; his 2nd grade teacher called them before school started to discuss it because she actually wanted to plan for working with his needs. What a concept, right?) 

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, ams1001 said:
58 minutes ago, Driad said:

I do not understand teachers disapproving of kids reading above their grade level. My friend's younger son was reading grade 2-3 books in first grade, until one library day he came home with only grade 1 books. When she asked why he said his teacher said he wasn't allowed to get higher grade-level books anymore. She had a little chat with the teacher and the next week he was back to picking whatever he wanted. That was only the tip of the iceberg with their issues in their public school; they moved him to a private school that actually wanted to help him learn at his pace the next year. (He was an advanced reader but also has a learning disability; his 2nd grade teacher called them before school started to discuss it because she actually wanted to plan for working with his needs. What a concept, right?) 

Now I know why the SMH acronym was invented. 

My oldest daughter was very nearsighted at a young age --probably from birth-- but I didn't have TV until she was 18, so I didn't notice. ☹️ 
She taught herself to read at age 4, I think, because the book held close was the one thing that was in focus. I didn't encourage her beyond providing books and reading to her; I didn't want to be one of those mothers that hung over their babies cribs with flash cards (that was a thing! SMH). Neither I nor the teachers discouraged her from reading above grade level, although after she got glasses, the optometrist said she should take breaks every hour and stare out the window. 

My middle daughter didn't read until age 6, but by age 7 she was reading Jane Austen. We used to have fun talking in Austenian accents to each other.

My youngest daughter was the latest reader--probably because she had 2 sisters and a mom to read to her. But she has an advanced degree and makes a lot of money in no small part because she is able to write clearly. 

She and her sisters read or had read to them every children's book in the local public library and the community college library children's section. Plus, my mom was a secretary at a grade school across the country, and every time they had a "book fair" she bought books and sent them.

As a child, my mom was very concerned that I didn't read enough books (although I took naps with the Winnie the Pooh books). Eventually she accepted that I preferred Archie, Casper, and other light comic books. They did have some pretty advanced vocabulary.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Reading posts here made me realize that my mom never read stories to me. When I'd spend the night at my sister's MIL's (I called her my grandma), she would read The Little Red Hen to me every night, which thrilled me to death, I loved it so much.

Both of my parents read to us. I still remember Dad reading "Twas the night before Christmas" to us, and then when we got older, Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Lots of other Grimm Brothers and other fairy tales when we were quite young were read to us. My brother was a year ahead of me in school, and we had no kindergarten, so I taught myself to read using his school books, and the Sears and Montgomery (Monkey) Ward catalogs. When I went to first grade, I was way ahead of most of the other kids in my class for reading. Never that good in arithmetic/math, though. I had the worst time with telling time and also with Roman numerals.

15 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Would you like a mimosa? I even make a version with mango juice instead of OJ. 

Oh yes please! That sounds lovely!

• Love 4