Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

That was a very evenly-matched game; I enjoy those a lot.

The Cuba TS surprised me, as did refining a bit.  But, for refining, I'm surprised that was designated as the primary response to the clue; I would have thought it refinement, with refining also acceptable, since process is a noun.

I missed five in the first round, so not bad at all and I feel good that three of those (sexton, cherry, and Don't Break the Ice) stumped all the contestants as well. 

In DJ, I only ran process, but got all but one in names and Italian.  I sucked in the Bible category (shocking, I know) and books, missing three each.  I missed two in Georgia.

FJ was an instaget.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

Well, I was back to slinking-away mode tonight. I actually knew more than I was able to spit out in time, but my brain was running a bit slow. Example: FJ. It was clearly a French territory, the answer even had “French” in the name, and yet…. eesh.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Well, I was back to slinking-away mode tonight. I actually knew more than I was able to spit out in time, but my brain was running a bit slow. Example: FJ. It was clearly a French territory, the answer even had “French” in the name, and yet…. eesh.

I couldn't remember which Guyana had been renamed, so I was tempted to guess Suriname, which is the wrong one.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I was so sleep deprived from helping out with my grandbaby while his Mom works from home that a few of my wrong responses were kind of hilarious.
For example, for: 

• ANIMALS & THE LAW
    New York City says horses that do this, popular with tourists & couples in Central Park, get 5 weeks of vacation a year

I said:

• What is foal?
    [the verb for when a horse has a baby, right?]

My thinking:
When the beloved horses that give buggy rides in Central Park have foals, they get maternity leave.

And yet somehow I recalled that "cerise" is cherry in French for the TS.

5 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I couldn't remember which Guyana had been renamed, so I was tempted to guess Suriname, which is the wrong one.

I guessed British Guyana. Apparently the peak is also known as just "Mount Bellevue," so I am wondering if they deliberately made it harder by adding the non-French sounding "de l'Inini," or if that's just me and my addled brain.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I take great umbrage at being called a "language fussbudget" because I know the difference between "anxious" and "eager". In college, one of my journalism professors drilled that into me in a 15 minute lecture in class.

Nearly 25 years later, I still remember it. I thought Jeopardy was supposed to celebrate smarts and not belittle it. Just because "everyone" does it, doesn't make it right....

I can't remember anything else about the game as I spent the next 20 minutes fuming at my TV....

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Fire 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

David was swaying so much he was making me seasick.

My ts's were Salt Lake City, cherry, refining and cappucino.

I did get FJ but I wasn't really sure about it.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
18 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

To be honest, I had a hard time recognizing him without that half-assed beard.

FJ: I immediately said Portland and then wondered if Salem, OR is 10X Salem, MA. Either way, the answer lay in Oregon.

It wasn't the most recognizable picture of Harvey, but I did get it.

Salem OR is a fairly small city, but for yucks I looked it up. It's population is 171,806, as opposed to Salem MA which is 43,350. So, almost four times bigger, which isn't a bad guess.

Did anyone else laugh at the answer to the Eat, Pray, Love question? The heart of the question was: "she was ready to be this: and the answer was "committed." I couldn't help but think of it in a, well, less positive fashion. I think it would have been better if it had read "she was ready to do this" Could just be me though. The mister didn't know what I was laughing about until I told him. (I have a bias against these types of books, so don't mind me).

I almost ran Filmed in Georgia - unfortunately "Discovery" stuck in my mind instead of "Deliverance" and I couldn't force it out. Sigh...

For FJ I spent most of it being surprised there was still a country "possessed" by a European power in South America. Needless to say, I didn't get it.

When it comes to the names of rovers, etc., I'd remember it better if they gave them real names like Bob, Barbara, etc. - all those positive names blur together.  😄

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I take great umbrage at being called a "language fussbudget" because I know the difference between "anxious" and "eager". In college, one of my journalism professors drilled that into me in a 15 minute lecture in class.

Nearly 25 years later, I still remember it. I thought Jeopardy was supposed to celebrate smarts and not belittle it. Just because "everyone" does it, doesn't make it right....

I can't remember anything else about the game as I spent the next 20 minutes fuming at my TV....

Being a grumpy old man I would agree with you but have learnt that language has always evolved and changed over the years and just laugh to myself now, not try to be too much of a right word grump but I do sometimes fail miserably.

So basically just because we don't agree, it doesn't make it wrong either.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Did anyone else laugh at the answer to the Eat, Pray, Love question? The heart of the question was: "she was ready to be this: and the answer was "committed." I couldn't help but think of it in a, well, less positive fashion. I think it would have been better if it had read "she was ready to do this" Could just be me though. The mister didn't know what I was laughing about until I told him. (I have a bias against these types of books, so don't mind me).

Except the category was One-Word Titles and your phrasing pretty much invites at least a two-word response.

Also, I think the title of the book is meant to be a play on the two meanings of the word. The original subtitle was apparently A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage (that's what the wikipedia page says, though the version listed on bn.com is just Committed: A Love Story). The book's description reads:

At the end of her memoir Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert fell in love with Felipe, a Brazilian living in Indonesia. The couple swore eternal love, but also swore (as skittish divorce survivors) never to marry. However, providence intervened in the form of a U.S. government ultimatum: get married, or Felipe could never enter America again. Told with Gilbert's trademark humor and intelligence, this fascinating meditation on compatibility and fidelity chronicles Gilbert's complex and sometimes frightening journey into second marriage, and will enthrall the millions of readers who made Eat, Pray, Love a number one bestseller.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Just because "everyone" does it, doesn't make it right....

2 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Being a grumpy old man I would agree with you but have learnt that language has always evolved and changed over the years and just laugh to myself now, not try to be too much of a right word grump but I do sometimes fail miserably.

There are certain nonstandard words and phrases that annoy me (conversate? Why not just say converse? If for no other reason than it’s shorter!) but like the Welshman, I have learned to embrace the evolution. I once heard the editor of the Merriam-Webster dictionary speak enthusiastically about evolving language as a reflection of society that is likewise growing and changing, and I decided that was a good attitude to have. So, conversate away.

Did anyone else laugh at the answer to the Eat, Pray, Love question? The heart of the question was: "she was ready to be this: and the answer was "committed." I couldn't help but think of it in a, well, less positive fashion. I think it would have been better if it had read "she was ready to do this" Could just be me though.  

It wasn’t just you. I caught that, too. I couldn’t tell by Mayim’s reading of the answer if she was also amused, or if it was just her usual giddy state, but I think a writer was having a little fun.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Except the category was One-Word Titles and your phrasing pretty much invites at least a two-word response.

"Screwed" is one word. And yes, my brain went that direction too, Clan.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)

Did not get FJ yesterday. Some spelled it Guiana and others spelled it Guyana, which is the one I am familiar with.

Ran Fruits/Vegetables in French, and Italian loanwords categories.

TS's were refining, Hubert Humphrey, cherry, and cappuccino.

Also, add me to the group that said "ketosis" the other day. 

Edited by ECM1231
  • Love 4

This LearnedLeague player wondered what Mayim found snigger-worthy about Shayan's statement that our matches are played on the honor system.  Seriously, I found that quite rude.  I wish he'd asked her what was so funny!  She's made quite clear she has no interest in trivia, but she need not underline what an outsider she is.  I try to give her a break, I really do, but it's like she was engineered to be unlikable to me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 6
4 hours ago, Trey said:

That's what made me want him to lose!!!!  

A week of new winners every day and I'm hoping that it continues or at least no one gets 4 wins before the end of Season 38.  I like all the contestants that have now qualified to be in it and I especially don't want Jackie Kelly from NC who has 4 wins to not qualify for this year's TOC.

https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/toc-tracker

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

"Anxious" for "eager" was a pet peeve of my grandfather's (I was only 3 when he died, so though I do remember a few things about him, this thing I know only through my father).

I tend to eschew "wrong" or "right" when talking about word usage, but I think "anxious" for "eager" works better when anxiety is part of the equation. For instance, I might be "anxious" to go somewhere if I am running late, but if I'm talking about my hypothetical upcoming  Hawaiian vacation, I'd be eager not anxious.  

In short, it helps if you understand the words you use.

Edited by Montreal Meany
typo
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, dbklmt said:
7 hours ago, Trey said:

That's what made me want him to lose!!!!  

I didn't notice the swaying but I would have been rooting for him to win if I had seen it, just to spark up the commentary here. Plus it would distract me from the host. Maybe.

TWO MORE WEEKS!

• LOL 6

And Dutch Guiana is now Suriname. The French one is the only one of the three still what's referred to as a "Department" of France - like a state in the US.  When I first started doing the JetPunk "Countries of the World," i nearly ran out the clock because I didn't type in France for French Guiana. The other two are now independent nations.

I'm not gonna criticize Mayim for her mispronunciation of the river Deliverance was filmed on. She pronounced it Chatooga, with the CH like in chair, where we Georgians say Shatooga. Small quibble,

• Like 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

So basically just because we don't agree, it doesn't make it wrong either.

A lot of people jab me about texting with full words, punctuation, and upper and lower case letters as needed.  

Just now, South said:

A lot of people jab me about texting with full words, punctuation, and upper and lower case letters as needed.  

My mom would say it’s similar to being better overdressed than underdressed for an occasion.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
(edited)
23 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Also, I think the title of the book is meant to be a play on the two meanings of the word. The original subtitle was apparently A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage (that's what the wikipedia page says, though the version listed on bn.com is just Committed: A Love Story). The book's description reads:

Ah, that makes logical sense - though it seems to me that it's not actually a one word title. Maybe technically. Still, it was funny to my ears, especially since the meaning I "heard" could work with the theme as well.

19 hours ago, Montreal Meany said:

I tend to eschew "wrong" or "right" when talking about word usage, but I think "anxious" for "eager" works better when anxiety is part of the equation. For instance, I might be "anxious" to go somewhere if I am running late, but if I'm talking about my hypothetical upcoming  Hawaiian vacation, I'd be eager not anxious. 

Since I always have anxiety about upcoming travel - no matter how eager I am - anxious works well for me in that example. 😁 But most people are more chill than I am. Now, if I could just beam over....😏

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Wink 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm not gonna criticize Mayim for her mispronunciation of the river Deliverance was filmed on. She pronounced it Chatooga, with the CH like in chair, where we Georgians say Shatooga. Small quibble,

CHIN-ko-teeg, shin-teeg. Tomato, tomahtoe. I have to vote for using the correct pronunciation for the locale. I was reprimanded when I said the name of a Missouri town, Bolivar, as I learned in history class. The correct way to say it is BAH-la-ver. New newscasters and weather people always reveal they are not "from here" by the way they incorrectly pronounce local cities and towns. So I have a bigger quibble with Mayim than you do. Say it right, this is a national game show for SMART PEOPLE. What's so hard about it? 

Don't answer that ...

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I have to vote for using the correct pronunciation for the locale. 

I understand that perspective, but then again, you don’t live in Texas, where place names have been appropriated and mangled for generations. How would you pronounce the following?

• Guadalupe
  • Italy
  • Bexar
  • Manchaca

If you said “gwad-uh-loop”, “IT-lee”, “bear” and “MAN-shack”, you’re Texas-correct! 

Maybe it’s just because I didn’t grow up here, but some of them just grate. Every time my husband mentions “New Bronze-fells” (New Braunfels), I yell at him: “There’s no ‘z’!!”

To be fair, my pronunciation issues are not limited to Texas. I will never not be annoyed at Brett Favre for mispronouncing his own damn name.

• LOL 7

And then there's the town of Buena Vista in Virginia.  Normal places might pronounce that "Bwayna Vista", but not Virginia.  Nope.  It's "Byoona Vista" in Virginia.  Even though it grates on my last nerve, that is the local pronunciation, so I try to roll with it.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And then there's the town of Buena Vista in Virginia.  Normal places might pronounce that "Bwayna Vista", but not Virginia.  Nope.  It's "Byoona Vista" in Virginia.  Even though it grates on my last nerve, that is the local pronunciation, so I try to roll with it.

Replying about local pronunciations in small talk. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Ah, that makes logical sense - though it seems to me that it's not actually a one word title. Maybe technically. Still, it was funny to my ears, especially since the meaning I "heard" could work with the theme as well.

Since I always have anxiety about upcoming travel - no matter how eager I am - anxious works well for me in that example. 😁 But most people are more chill than I am. Now, if I could just beam over....😏

I was raised using the word anxious in a positive manner, such as looking forward to something.  Then in middle school, I found that everyone, inexplicably overnight, used it in a more negative manner.  After consulting a few dictionaries, I determined that Mom was wrong about this one.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I understand that perspective, but then again, you don’t live in Texas, where place names have been appropriated and mangled for generations. How would you pronounce the following?

• Guadalupe
  • Italy
  • Bexar
  • Manchaca

If you said “gwad-uh-loop”, “IT-lee”, “bear” and “MAN-shack”, you’re Texas-correct! 

Maybe it’s just because I didn’t grow up here, but some of them just grate. Every time my husband mentions “New Bronze-fells” (New Braunfels), I yell at him: “There’s no ‘z’!!”

To be fair, my pronunciation issues are not limited to Texas. I will never not be annoyed at Brett Favre for mispronouncing his own damn name.

A while back, I lived in Havre de Grace, Maryland for a lovely year.  Feeling comfy with French pronunciation, I was quickly set straight, by my also lovely neighbor,  that it’s pronounced Havverduhgrace, with a regular old short “a”, followed by a long “a”.  Mon Dieu!

• LOL 3
9 minutes ago, South said:

A while back, I lived in Havre de Grace, Maryland for a lovely year.  Feeling comfy with French pronunciation, I was quickly set straight, by my also lovely neighbor,  that it’s pronounced Havverduhgrace, with a regular old short “a”, followed by a long “a”.  Mon Dieu!

I guess it could have been worse: Harv da grace, anyone? 😉

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I remember years ago, there was a contestant from the next town over from me. Alex pronounced it wrong. (It's four syllables with the accent on the second, but Alex put it on the third.) I don't believe the player corrected him.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I remember years ago, there was a contestant from the next town over from me. Alex pronounced it wrong. (It's four syllables with the accent on the second, but Alex put it on the third.) I don't believe the player corrected him.

I don't know that I would have corrected Alex, in their position. 😉

• Like 4
17 hours ago, 30 Helens said:
  • Bexar

I know that's pronounced BEAR. The story is something like when town paperwork was signed, the Native American (?) couldn't spell his name so signed with a X, which is why BEAR has the X in the middle. (That's the very abbreviated version.)

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

This creature of habit sure is glad to have a new game today!  I think I've said it before, but I'm glad Jeopardy is what seems like one of the last holdouts (other than news programs) from the new normal of skipped days / weeks here and there for any reason or no reason.

18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And then there's the town of Buena Vista in Virginia.  Normal places might pronounce that "Bwayna Vista", but not Virginia.  Nope.  It's "Byoona Vista" in Virginia.

I was in Lexington for college and had several connections to BV through my church, friends at SVU, etc.  It's been nearly a decade now but I still find my brain, in quiet moments, revving up with "but how about the way they pronounced Buena Vista?!"

On 6/28/2022 at 7:24 PM, ams1001 said:

Have you ever watched Answers with Joe? He did a video on this.

I look forward to watching this!  Thank you.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I know that's pronounced BEAR. The story is something like when town paperwork was signed, the Native American (?) couldn't spell his name so signed with a X, which is why BEAR has the X in the middle. (That's the very abbreviated version.)

Interesting! I have not heard this story. I think the official story has it named after a Spanish town, Bejar (sometimes spelled Bexar), which is pronounced “bey-har”, but the Texans dropped a syllable as Texans are wont to do.

But I like your story better! It’s much more interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Vermont had six House seats only during the decade after the 1810 census, when it had a population of 217,713 (about 3% of the national total). It gradually lost those seats until it had only the present one after the 1930 census, as mentioned in the clue.

Unfortunately I matched Andie with Delaware. I knew it currently has just one representative, Lisa Blunt Rochester, and I reasoned that, because of its proximity to population centers, it might at one time have had a greater relative population. In 1810 its population was 72,674 (about 1% of the national total), which did earn the state its only decade with a second seat, but not nearly enough for six.

The other states currently with only one House seat, in case that ever comes up, are Alaska, Montana, the Dakotas, and Wyoming. Rhode Island was not a bad guess but it has had two since the first census in 1790 (except for two decades after the 1910 and 1920 censuses when it had three).

• Useful 4

I said Rhode Island.  I'm a lifelong Vermonter and I was like why would we have ever had 6 seats. If it's Vermont, I'm going to scream. I did not actually scream, but boy was i annoyed.

I got the missed clues of knob, cake, and noninvasive.

I got the entire category of George right. Good first round, not good DJ, annoying FJ. Ended in the red:(

• Hugs 3

ABC news broke in right before FJ so I had to look it up online…but I did get it right. 

Duke of Wellington?!  And there are 2 President George Bushs. She should have been told to give more info. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Love 6

I thought that was a tough FJ to guess.  From a position of not really having a clue, it seems like any one of several states could be possibilities.  I guessed incorrectly, of course, waffling between Delaware, Rhode Island, and Maine.  Maine has great swathes of wilderness, after all -- I have no idea of the population of any of those states.  Vermont  only occurred to me briefly.  I discarded it as an option as soon as it came to mind.  Oh well.

I didn't keep track of TS, but I really thought Bush needed a BMS.  I mean, yes, one is still alive, but still.   

• Like 2
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

And there are 2 President George Bushs. She should have been told to give more info. 

27 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't keep track of TS, but I really thought Bush needed a BMS.  I mean, yes, one is still alive, but still.   

If that isn't an immediate BMS, I don't know what is. I'm sure my neighbors heard me scream, "GET HER OFF MY SCREEN NOW. I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!"

I love our new champ! I hope he sticks around for a while.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

I was at my parents' house so I couldn't keep score. Did not get FJ. Just checked the archive for TSes; I got non-invasive. I said pre-Hays Code; does that count? For the one about narratives about life in NYC I said cheesecake; I was close.

41 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

And there are 2 President George Bushs. She should have been told to give more info. 

They did this with Johnson last week, too. Grrr.

8 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I love our new champ! I hope he sticks around for a while.

I liked him a lot, too. Very dapper. I giggled at him jumping up and down with excitement while the credits rolled.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
50 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

ABC news broke in right before FJ so I had to look it up online…but I did get it right. 

Here as well. What a horrible tragedy in Illinois!

• Sad 5
(edited)

If you're going to tell a story about a poem tattoo slow down and explain it so I can understand it.  I have no idea what he said or what he was talking about. 

If ever an answer needed a bms it's Bush. 

I thought it was Delaware. Or Rhode Island.  Wrong on both. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 6

Early into the game, I got a phone call I had to take. Hung up just before FJ, which I didn't get. Normally, I don't like effusive contestants, but today's champ was positively giddy and his excitement passed on to me.  I was grinning ear-to-ear for him.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I think (hope?) the judges would definitely have accepted Hays Code or its formal name, the Production Code.  The clue was not pinned to a specific text or anything else that might have used just "pre-Code," so while that's maybe the most frequent term of art, I don't see anything to proscribe giving more information.

I really liked all three contestants today, so I would have been happy with any result.  I wonder how long this “streak” of 1-day champions will continue?  I liked Mayim’s outfit too.  Could anyone make her lapel pin out well?  I had a terrible picture today but I’ve always liked that kind of jewelry and was curious.

22 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

If you're going to tell a story about a poem tattoo slow down and explain it so I can understand it.  I have no idea what he said or what he was talking about.

Yes, I thought Yungsheng was quite charming, but I had to work to understand him there too.  Maybe he'll have simmered down a bit by tomorrow.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I really liked all three contestants today, so I would have been happy with any result.  I wonder how long this “streak” of 1-day champions will continue?  I liked Mayim’s outfit too.  Could anyone make her lapel pin out well?  I had a terrible picture today but I’ve always liked that kind of jewelry and was curious.

I watched the video of the intro on the J! facebook page but I can't tell what it is.

I liked her blouse.