Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: August 16, 2021

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I agree and I think Serena is way too old for him.  She has always had a calm maturity about her,  after being thrown in the mud by Matt's vehicle and after  recognizing that he's not the one and breaking up nicely with him.  Joe, on the other hand, is toe-stubbing awkward around women, can spend an entire day pouting because he's not sure he "fits in,"  cries a lot, and has given up a solid, useful career to be an internet influencer.  Plus he appears to still be living with his parents and was unwilling to move far away from them to be with the woman he loved.   I find him and his, "Aren't I adorable?" act, repulsive.

But then I've always liked Noah, with or without his mustache, and he was well hated by Bachelor Nation so I'm clearly off track.  Noah's  a nurse!  I can't love them enough these days.

My memory is poor- why was Noah hated by bachelor nation ?

5 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I snorted my coffee over that!  Working the formulas backward, my ideal man would be over 100 and I always thought they preferred the young strippers at that age. Maybe I'm just thinking of Anna Nicole Smith, bless her heart.

Wait, maybe I didn't explain it right.its not about an ideal age, its the youngest you can go and not be creepy. At 100,   the absolute youngest would be 57.  56 would be too young.  It works at younger ages as well. At 22, you can date as young as 18, but dating a 17 year old seems inappropriate. 

• Love 2

So my biggest takeaway from this thread is that I, as a 47-year-old, could potentially date a 30.5 or a 32.5 year old, depending on which formula you use. That’s too young! Imagine myself pulling a Kenny and trying to convince some whipper-snapper that we’re practically both just 40. Uhhh… But, I think Kenny, at 40, would be the youngest I would go  …and I’m only saying that because the man is smoking (fanning myself), otherwise I think 5+\- years is a good range. Buuut, I’m married, so this is all hypothetical, of course!

Confused Thinking GIF

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Wait, maybe I didn't explain it right.its not about an ideal age, its the youngest you can go and not be creepy. At 100,   the absolute youngest would be 57.  56 would be too young.  It works at younger ages as well. At 22, you can date as young as 18, but dating a 17 year old seems inappropriate. 

According to the formula as described in the 1953 movie The Moon is Blue with William Holden, that’s the ideal age. 

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

According to the formula as described in the 1953 movie The Moon is Blue with William Holden, that’s the ideal age. 

Thankfully standards have changed since the 50s, because that seems very sexist. I had never seen that movie, and was unaware of it, and I was referring to what my son said was the calculation of youngest acceptable age, not ideal age, and not based on 1950s standards. I dont think many people today would agree with "half your age plus 7" as an IDEAL age. I am the one who brought it up in this thread, and I never said or implied anything close to that.

1 hour ago, JenE4 said:

So my biggest takeaway from this thread is that I, as a 47-year-old, could potentially date a 30.5 or a 32.5 year old, depending on which formula you use. That’s too young!

Yes, it is young. But again, the "formula " isn't about what age you SHOULD date. In your example, it's saying that if you dated someone UNDER 30.5, it would be seen as creepy, or predatory, which I think is valid. Its a way of taking into consideration that acceptable age differences are larger the older you get. An 8 to 12 year difference seems huge when you're 20, but not when you're 60.

Sorry, it was a silly thing my son and his friends were talking about one day, and I found it interesting.  I feel my words are being misinterpreted no matter how many times I explain.

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Working the formulas backward, my ideal man would be over 100 and I always thought they preferred the young strippers at that age.

Well, Judy, maybe there's a new career option open for you now. I think knowing someone's age puts them automatically into a box that the person can't escape. I always assume whomever I am talking to is the same age as I am so I have no pre-conceived notion of how they should think or should act. Once ages are revealed, the friendship goes out of balance.

The only time I used it to my advantage was when I was a college junior and dating a grad student. He was so pompous about being "older" and therefore smarter, he became intolerable, he treated me like some moron who just crawled out of a box. I enjoyed the day when I just casually let it slip that I worked six years before going to college, which put me a good five years older than he was. His attitude changed IMMEDIATELY and all of a sudden his puff was gone and his sails had no wind. When he asked me out again, I told him no.

This show would be much more interesting if ages weren't such a big thing when, in reality, they should not be. People spend more time worrying if they are too old or too young or what their family and friends will think than on building a solid and loving relationship and who cares what anyone thinks. It's your life, not theirs.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Thankfully standards have changed since the 50s. I had never seen that movie, and was unaware of it, and I was referring to what my son said was the calculation of youngest acceptable age, not ideal age. I dont think many people today would agree with "half your age plus 7" as an IDEAL age. I am the one who brought it up in this thread, and I never said or implied anything close to that.

Yes, it is young. But again, the "formula " isn't about what age you SHOULD date. In your example, it's saying that if you dated someone UNDER 30.5, it would be seen as creepy, or predatory, which I think is valid.

Sorry, it was a silly thing my son and his friends were talking about one day, and I found it interesting.  I feel my words are being misinterpreted no matter how many times I explain.

Nah, I was just joking! I thought it was funny doing the math on myself. I know what you were saying. It makes sense that your younger son and his friends don’t want to come off as creeps, so what’s the youngest you can go without being scandalous. Just whatever math you use, this gap is getting big the older you are. Like, sure a 57 year old isn’t going to be “taken advantage of” by an older partner, but why the hell would anyone date someone with a 43 year age difference—unless you’re out for a big inheritance? Anyway…no harm meant. This has just been more interesting to chat about than the show itself.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

My memory is so poor I don't even remember Noah.

3 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

why the hell would anyone date someone with a 43 year age difference—unless you’re out for a big inheritance?

You could ask J. Howard Marshall but he's dead.

• LOL 6

This show is great already!  The naked, ripped 40 year old with a giant faded American flag on his chest, my favorite catty and funny bitch Queen Victoria rocking her beach bod, the adorable Abigail hitting it off with Noah and the welcome addition of David Spade's quick witted and funny banter with the cast.  I'm looking forward to cat fights, hook ups, drunken professions of love, the inevitable random shots of an ambulance and shocked expressions, and and hot HOT men who lack substance but have abs for days!  This franchise always lifts me out my "case of the Mondays" 😄!  

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

Yep, I've seen the movie a couple of times.  The skinny young girl with the bouncy pony tail spends the entire time swanning around, talking to the two older men about her virginity as though she's selling it to the highest bidder and the men seem to find her fascinating.  It was a hit Broadway play first and I think it was considered a frank look at the way things were.  I can't imagine how embarrassed some of the audience must have been.   It's cringe worthy but an interesting look back at standards.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Yep, I've seen the movie a couple of times.  The skinny young girl with the bouncy pony tail spends the entire time swanning around, talking to the two older men about her virginity as though she's selling it to the highest bidder and the men seem to find her fascinating.  It was a hit Broadway play first and I think it was considered a frank look at the way things were.  I can't imagine how embarrassed some of the audience must have been.   It's cringe worthy but an interesting look back at standards.   

The fifties were so kinky!!!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

I don't think BN hated Noah, but he had some issues with other cast members. I think mostly because he joined the season late, and then refused to be apologetic about it. Also the stupid mustache.

I have already had too much Demi. I wish could set a filter on my tv so it automatically skipped her scenes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, the eskimo said:

Did they ban alcohol completely? It seemed like everyone was drinking water the entire time. Even the glasses seemed to be filled with water and lemon slices. 

Speaking of formulas, the last we heard about new drinking limits was x number of drinks per hour? I assume that is still in place, it came in under the new post-Corinne age. I don't remember exactly but there is a formula now to at least keep people from becoming black-out drunk on the show now.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I once dated a nephew and his uncle.  But they were only 2 years apart in age.  Plus the nephew didn't know I dated the uncle.  I have always been curious if the uncle ever told his nephew.

This episode was going along great and then Demi showed up.  Why did she have to show up and ruin the episode?  I really wonder who at the show loves her so much.  I just want her to go far far away. 

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, the eskimo said:

Did they ban alcohol completely? It seemed like everyone was drinking water the entire time. Even the glasses seemed to be filled with water and lemon slices. 

There was definitely one scene where they all stood in a group circle and did tequila shots  (they announced it out loud). It also seemed like a few of the couples were tipsy later on when they were all making out - I'm especially thinking of Natasha babbling about their shadows dancing on the beach. 

Loved the pinata room where the date was, but I wasn't getting the best vibes from Noah. He seemed way too insistent on asking her about the moving slow/boundaries thing, and there were a few times in the episode I got the impression his mind was on way more sexual subjects than Abigail's. I mean, typical guy/BIP contestant, but I don't think they're a match. 

I am way too skeeved out by the age differences on this season to enjoy some of these couples. Serena might be emotionally mature, but she still giggles and acts like a 23-year-old, while I think Joe seems every bit of 35. Kenny at least still comes off like a bit of a fuckboy while Mari holds herself more seriously which makes her seem older, but I'm not down for that age gap either. Why did they think it wouldn't be creepy to throw dudes in their mid to late 30s on the show with girls who are 25 and under? I feel like we all foresaw this weirdness back when the seasons aired.

The rotating hosts might be fun (and I like how much more ridiculous they make this show seem), but I don't understand why Wells isn't just outright in charge.

• Love 12

Tre tweeted a pic of his uncle and man….  I can see why she kissed him! ETA: he’s a doctor and a veteran.  

86F49CE1-6BCE-4D1B-8B9A-D0794B873D2B.jpeg

Edited by LBS
  • Useful 5
  • Love 12

Well Hello Uncle Anthony...

My favorite shit show has returned again! promising to be even more of a shit show than ever. I watched this last night with my husband, who is unfamiliar with the Bachelor franchise besides what I have mentioned in passing, so I got a lot of enjoyment laying out the casts backstories and their lingo. 

"Why is that girl wearing the sun on her head?" "That's Victoria, the worlds most obvious plant, the worlds most genius performance artist in dadist art since Andy Kauffman, or the weirdest most insufferable person to stalk the halls of bachelor nation."

"Why do they all hate that guy?" "He was accused of being here for the Wrong Reasons by the guys in his season." "What does that mean? Is that a bad thing?" "Its the worst thing."

"Oh that's Demi. Demi...is a lot." 

"The guy without clothes on is basically Koogler from that episode of Community. "Koogler! He likes getting laid! He's not that old!" 

Oh yeah, this is gonna be an epic hot mess and I am here for it. And David Spade was an unexpected delight.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 8/17/2021 at 9:17 AM, nlkm9 said:

Yes one of the girls there i don’t recognize but she is a blond with a ton of Botox . I have no clue who she is . 

It was very annoying that they didn't announce everyone.  Fortunately, for most of the people who weren't announced, they had a chryon during their show that gave their name and season.  The Botox'd blonde was the only one that I think was never identified and that I had no recollection of, so I looked her up, and she's Victoria Paul from Peter's season.  The only other ones I don't remember, even after knowing their season, are Deandra and Maurissa, also from Peter's season.

On 8/17/2021 at 5:16 PM, DEL901 said:

Better than a grocery store job.   And given the article about his brother/uncle in the media thread, I can understand why he has cultivated an easy going, low key persona. 

I was unable to find anything about this from Googling, and I don't want to go to the media thread for fear of spoilers.  Could you give a quickie summary?

On 8/16/2021 at 10:01 PM, FlyingEgret said:

David Spade won me over with his crab bit at the end - we need more of that!

That was the only time in the whole show that I found him funny.  I actually found him cringe-worthy most of the time.

8 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

was unable to find anything about this from Googling, and I don't want to go to the media thread for fear of spoilers.  Could you give a quickie summary?

I posted that article.  His brother got arrested for being in a bookie ring.  The family has some old mob ties.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/platform/amp/crime/2021/4/13/22380577/former-melrose-park-cop-charged-part-gambling-investigation

As for Deandra - even when I looked her up and realized that she was on 4 episodes I had no memory of her.  To be fair, I’d like to delete that whole season from the memory banks.

• LOL 1
On 8/16/2021 at 8:04 PM, SHD said:

I guess I’m the only one who enjoyed David Spade hosting? I love his “This is so stupid” underlying attitude. I wish they would’ve gotten Amy Schumer to guest host. She would’ve brought the same tone as David Spade, but from a female perspective.

I love David Spade as a host!  He is such a funny and clever guy and I love his off the cuff humor- the cast seems to like him a lot too and I like the fact that David is a fan of the show in real life- in part to poke fun at it each week.  Great call on Amy Schumer as a woman co host- another great option would be the hilarious Natasha Legerro.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, DEL901 said:

LOL when I think of Bill Holden, I think of the I love lucy epsisode where she set his nose on fire. hahaha. ok sorry for that but it made me lol

3 hours ago, jade.black said:

There was definitely one scene where they all stood in a group circle and did tequila shots  (they announced it out loud). It also seemed like a few of the couples were tipsy later on when they were all making out - I'm especially thinking of Natasha babbling about their shadows dancing on the beach. 

Loved the pinata room where the date was, but I wasn't getting the best vibes from Noah. He seemed way too insistent on asking her about the moving slow/boundaries thing, and there were a few times in the episode I got the impression his mind was on way more sexual subjects than Abigail's. I mean, typical guy/BIP contestant, but I don't think they're a match. 

I am way too skeeved out by the age differences on this season to enjoy some of these couples. Serena might be emotionally mature, but she still giggles and acts like a 23-year-old, while I think Joe seems every bit of 35. Kenny at least still comes off like a bit of a fuckboy while Mari holds herself more seriously which makes her seem older, but I'm not down for that age gap either. Why did they think it wouldn't be creepy to throw dudes in their mid to late 30s on the show with girls who are 25 and under? I feel like we all foresaw this weirdness back when the seasons aired.

The rotating hosts might be fun (and I like how much more ridiculous they make this show seem), but I don't understand why Wells isn't just outright in charge.

yes werent the older guys from claires season? Yes agreed a bit creepy.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I model the real world through mathematical functions for a living (technically, I write computer programs that do that, but still). This is how my brain is wired. 🤓

Way to go, Chocolatine!  All I know how to do on my computer is shop online, write emails and use Primetimer forums! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Poor Joe, he’s realizing he’s outgrown this dreck that’s why it’s not as fun as before. 
I was pretty dubious about David Spade but now that I have a chance to watch it, I’m really liking him too. 
I recognize all the guys but some of the girls, I’d swear Im seeing them for the first time. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I guess if you can’t be in a boy band at least look like you are and someday even manage one! I’m curious who his clients are?

Back when he was on the Bachelorette his ABC bio said that he manages a boy band cover band. So not even a real boy band.

Edited by chocolatine
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

Noah is extremely religious, one of 10 children. I think I remember him telling Tayshia. He doesn't have casual sex so that explains wanting things to go fast with Abigail, he probably wants to be married quickly. 

I wish he would have explained that in the episode. 

Edited by Kerri Johnson
  • Useful 9
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kerri Johnson said:

Noah is extremely religious, one of 10 children. I think I remember him telling Tayshia. He doesn't have casual sex so that explains wanting things to go fast with Abigail, he probably wants to be married quickly. 

Okay, don't hate me, but then why come on this somewhat slimy reality show based on random hookups, having sex and near total nudity, all of which is aired across the country (and around the world) on a national television network. Why not date women in his church, join some church groups and meet women that way. What's up with joining the Fame Whore League of Bachelor Nation.

Unless he doesn't consider the sex he does have as "casual." So there's that, too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Okay, don't hate me, but then why come on this somewhat slimy reality show based on random hookups, having sex and near total nudity, all of which is aired across the country (and around the world) on a national television network. Why not date women in his church, join some church groups and meet women that way. What's up with joining the Fame Whore League of Bachelor Nation.

Unless he doesn't consider the sex he does have as "casual." So there's that, too.

Haha!  Maybe he’s slumming it for the lord!  He is definitely a man with a mission with Abigail. I like him, but his intensity is starting to creep me out and I think she’ll start to push back with the possessiveness. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I don't think that Noah is a virgin at all.  Could Noah be a "technical virgin"? Maybe, but I highly doubt it if he's been on this franchise and dated in real life before.  Noah has a lot of swagger, he kisses passionately, and has a flirty twinkle in his green eyes.  This guy bones 😉

• LOL 5

Yes, there was Sean and then the much vilified Luke on Hannah Brown's season.  I think maybe some of them go on these shows precisely because they're such sleaze fests.  It's sort of a way to "witness." They hope to demonstrate an alternate path that isn't shown much on TV or in movies these days, even the more quality shows.  The problem is that the minute they show themselves as imperfect in any way the, "And he calls himself a Christian!  What a hypocrite!" thing begins.  I would hate to be sixteen today, watching TV and feeling like I was a freak for not having sex with a series of guys I barely knew.

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Yes, there was Sean and then the much vilified Luke on Hannah Brown's season.  I think maybe some of them go on these shows precisely because they're such sleaze fests.  It's sort of a way to "witness." They hope to demonstrate an alternate path that isn't shown much on TV or in movies these days, even the more quality shows.  The problem is that the minute they show themselves as imperfect in any way the, "And he calls himself a Christian!  What a hypocrite!" thing begins.  I would hate to be sixteen today, watching TV and feeling like I was a freak for not having sex with a series of guys I barely knew.

I know that you are trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but I don’t think that they are going as a “witness.”  They probably underestimate the nature of social media but they know that they will stand out in the crowd and probably think it will increase their chances.  Especially if they think that “deep down” everyone secretly wants to be with someone with their values.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I don't think that Noah is a virgin at all.  Could Noah be a "technical virgin"? Maybe, but I highly doubt it if he's been on this franchise and dated in real life before.  Noah has a lot of swagger, he kisses passionately, and has a flirty twinkle in his green eyes.  This guy bones 😉

Isn't he the one who popped a breath mint to be kiss-ready for Tayshia but Tayshia ended up just having a serious chat with him? lol

• LOL 1