Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Resortwear

• Start Topic

Heidi and Tim give the designers their next assignment: a two-look, resortwear mini collection for a fashion show that will take place on a floating runway. One designer is redeemed after a weak showing in the first assignment while another designer fails to wow the judges with original prints and is eliminated.

I get the impression that Joshua is trying to launch a NEW brand (Love .... something?? and he's mentioned the name a couple of times) which is distinct from his first brand-- which emphasized tailoring. So the judges telling him, basically, ditch the new brand probably hurts. And I heard a new word for the first time "in the wild": "Fleek"  Yeah, I'm old.

• Love 3

Joshua's looked ridiculous to me.  I simply cannot understand the love for the shorts & stupid Kimono.  He got the shape kind of right, but the acid colors are horrible to me.  And SHUT.UP.ABOUT.YOUR.KID  Not who I thought should win. 

Andrea's stretch jersey dresses are so simple & unconstructed, there's almost no design there.  An unskilled teenager could whip one up in a few hours with 2 seams.  Skin-tight sausage casing is NOT flattering.  But those dresses are "Forever 21".   I'm seeing her as the one-way monkey this season.  That print was very spidery.  Hated it. 

Men are not wearing skirts, they just look dumb.  I haven't seen any photos from Cannes or the Med of ANY guys in skirts.  Not happening, not even in the enclaves of the rich & famous.  No matter what crap they throw out there, they can't make fetch happen.  

Olivia?  Green fruit stripe is for gum, not men's shirts.  South American Andrea's stuff is so heavy and "Shah's of Sunset".   Dushyant missed again, his clothes made no sense.  He was the right one to go. 

Again, Gary had my favorite looks.  He wuz robbed. 

And Nina Garcia is somewhere saying "I question your taste level" to half the people on this show.......  

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

Joshua's look is available here (some posters were having trouble finding the look from episode 1 and, as long as I was getting that link, I figured I'd grab this one too).

• Love 5
9 hours ago, leighdear said:

Joshua's looked ridiculous to me.  I simply cannot understand the love for the shorts & stupid Kimono.  He got the shape kind of right, but the acid colors are horrible to me.  And SHUT.UP.ABOUT.YOUR.KID  Not who I thought should win. 

Andrea's stretch jersey dresses are so simple & unconstructed, there's almost no design there.  An unskilled teenager could whip one up in a few hours with 2 seams.  Skin-tight sausage casing is NOT flattering.  But those dresses are "Forever 21".   I'm seeing her as the one-way monkey this season.  That print was very spidery.  Hated it. 

Men are not wearing skirts, they just look dumb.  I haven't seen any photos from Cannes or the Med of ANY guys in skirts.  Not happening, not even in the enclaves of the rich & famous.  No matter what crap they throw out there, they can't make fetch happen.  

Olivia?  Green fruit stripe is for gum, not men's shirts.  South American Andrea's stuff is so heavy and "Shah's of Sunset".   Dushyant missed again, his clothes made no sense.  He was the right one to go. 

Again, Gary had my favorite looks.  He wuz robbed. 

And Nina Garcia is somewhere saying "I question your taste level" to half the people on this show.......  

Good lord, Josh going on and on about his child just felt so manipulative. I have children as well and wanted to tell him to shut up.

I think Josh is a prime example of how sometimes being at the bottom and getting constructive feedback really helps you out.

I knew Dushyant was in trouble in the first episode but he probably had no clue because the judges did not say anything to him. He also did not seem to have enough experience for this type of thing. Indian textiles can be so vibrant and his designs were totally lifeless.

I was surprised that so many of the designers were so bad at taking social media pictures. I thought that would be a vital part of any marketing strategy for an emerging designer.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, leighdear said:

That's simply not true, men do wear skirts. Not so much in western countries but worldwide its quite common and even in western countries it's not completely unheard of. And historically men have worn skirts just as often as women, them being seen as female clothing is a very recent development.

And fashion shows aren't really about off the rack pieces anyway. If "what the average men in the wild wears right now" was a criteria all we'd get would be cargo shorts and basic shirts.

• Love 16
24 minutes ago, Grischa said:

If "what the average men in the wild wears right now" was a criteria all we'd get would be cargo shorts and basic shirts.

yeah I thought what Dushyant made looked like something you'd buy at Target. Now of course zillions of people buy stuff like that at Target, me (metaphorically, as I don't have a Target near me), included. But that's not what we're here to see.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

yeah I thought what Dushyant made looked like something you'd buy at Target. Now of course zillions of people buy stuff like that at Target, me (metaphorically, as I don't have a Target near me), included. But that's not what we're here to see.

Exactly, I thought Raf's male look was great for example.

I also loved Josh's looks and totally agree that he deserved the win but I didn't get why the loved Andrea P.'s so much, the dress was very simple, it fit well but it also wasn't that impressive, it definitely looked like something you could make in a day. And the bathing suit ... was a bathing suit, it also fit well but there wasn't a lot of design going. The print did most of the work and she did make that so I'll give her credit for that but she used it in the same way for both it looked too similar from the waist up.

• Love 7

Tim gave some really good advice to Joshua (sea foam green) and Andrea (high neck cover up). And they were top two!

I too loved Gary’s. I would have made him top two, alongside Joshua.  And Olivia’s stuff was bad.  But the guy who left was the right one because boring.  

I’m already so sick of the ‘have you changed your mind’ discussion. 

• Love 12
12 minutes ago, Tiggertoo said:

they really draw that out. It feels like half of the judging segment! can't they just say "our initial vote was 'auf wiedersehen.' Has anybody changed their mind? Nope. Ok, be gone."

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
49 minutes ago, Tiggertoo said:

Tim gave some really good advice to Joshua (sea foam green) and Andrea (high neck cover up). And they were top two!

I too loved Gary’s. I would have made him top two, alongside Joshua.  And Olivia’s stuff was bad.  But the guy who left was the right one because boring.  

It is annoying because it almost seems like they want the designer to beg instead of just pleading their case.

• Love 2

I'm enjoying the inclusive designs. I don't think they'll catch on right away, but I hope it will happen over time. While we're waiting, maybe people can work on vocabulary and stop saying "I'm obsessed with" whatever it is. No, you're not. Obsessions aren't comfortable, fun or pleasant in any way.

Prabal Gurung's comment about celebrating women of different sizes and making them look beautiful was sweet, I guess, but right now only one designer in this competition is able to do that. I'd love to see a show like this use only models who weren't the conventional type. While we're at it, maybe we could celebrate men of different sizes, too.

Agree that Winnie Harlow is much, much better than Naomi Campbell. I'm just not sure why we need models on the judging panel. They don't design or construct clothes; they make them look good. It seems like the expertise equivalent of  having food photographers judge Top Chef. Plus, I don't question Heidi's taste level. I know it's bad.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9

On 7/16/2021 at 5:32 PM, leighdear said:

Including, as always, Heidi.

1 hour ago, Passing Strange said:

Prabal Gurung's comment about celebrating women of different sizes and making them look beautiful was sweet, I guess, but right now only one designer in this competition is able to do that. I'd love to see a show like this use only models who weren't the conventional type. While we're at it, maybe we could celebrate men of different sizes, too.

To be fair, they're only two weeks in.

Does anyone else think Gary looks like Anthony Andrews, the actor who played Dr Green on ER?

• Love 4

2 episodes into this season, and I remember what I hated about last season.  The freaking music is just too much…too loud.  I get having music during the runway, but the interstitial music blaring over too many scenes is really annoying.

I’m muting the whole “did you change your mind” during judging.  This is also annoying.

Olivia’s looks are just not right.  The bib/apron/straight jacket motif is not attractive and doesn’t look good on the models. 

Andrea P. was the best, most “resort-y”.  

Joshua’ designs were better this week, but I still find him exhausting.  Stop telling the world you’re doing this for your kid.  I’m sure your daughter would pick having you stay closer to home and hang out with her vs. telling you to be gone for weeks to be on a competitive reality show.  I’m not saying parents shouldn’t work, or stop going after opportunities & dreams just because they have kids. There is nothing wrong with trying to advance your career, but I find it off putting  and a bit manipulative to evoke the spirit of one’s children (or spouse, or dying/dead relatives) as a means to look “more deserving” then anyone else.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Stop telling the world you’re doing this for your kid.  I’m sure your daughter would pick having you stay closer to home and hang out with her vs. telling you to be gone for weeks to be on a competitive reality show.

The way he harped on "it's my responsibility to provide for my child and my family." Well, yeah, everyone has to do that. But you're conflating living your dream with providing for your family. Sometimes they work together, sometimes they don't. 

• Love 7

I have to commend Josh. They showed his print and I thought it looked terrible. Then they showed his drawing and I thought IT looked terrible. But together? WOW. And then his photo was able to show the front and the back of the ladies outfit which I think helped him. I liked his clothes the best and I thought they were appropriate for the challenge. Well done. 

I wish people would show bathing suits with long legs and rash guards- I can either bathe in sun block or cover up. At least rash guards are more available now, but for long legs, I’m pretty much stuck at REI or Amazon. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow, Prabal, you can see a bathing suit outfit on BOTH Heidi AND Winnie?  Two women who are almost 6 feet tall, incredibly skinny, world renowned supermodels?  My god, how generous of you.

I actually like seafoam green.  I know that it's become the shorthand cliche for the ugly bridesmaid dress colour, but I do like it.  Tim's probably right that judges have a bias against it though.  I've heard that about green on the runway in general.  

Everything seemed accessible in this show.  Hard to tell what the "runway" looks were unless they were really elevated.  I guess Josh did make the right decision, because his look looked great.  

It wouldn't have killed the producers to give the designers more time.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
On 7/17/2021 at 10:05 AM, Grischa said:

Exactly, I thought Raf's male look was great for example.

I also loved Josh's looks and totally agree that he deserved the win but I didn't get why the loved Andrea P.'s so much, the dress was very simple, it fit well but it also wasn't that impressive, it definitely looked like something you could make in a day. And the bathing suit ... was a bathing suit, it also fit well but there wasn't a lot of design going. The print did most of the work and she did make that so I'll give her credit for that but she used it in the same way for both it looked too similar from the waist up.

Agree

On 7/17/2021 at 7:52 PM, BusyOctober said:

I’m muting the whole “did you change your mind” during judging.  This is also annoying.

Joshua’ designs were better this week, but I still find him exhausting.  Stop telling the world you’re doing this for your kid.  I’m sure your daughter would pick having you stay closer to home and hang out with her vs. telling you to be gone for weeks to be on a competitive reality show.  I’m not saying parents shouldn’t work, or stop going after opportunities & dreams just because they have kids. There is nothing wrong with trying to advance your career, but I find it off putting  and a bit manipulative to evoke the spirit of one’s children (or spouse, or dying/dead relatives) as a means to look “more deserving” then anyone else.

I'm considering counting how many "did you change your mind?"s there are next episode.  If only to give myself something other to do than be irritated by how often Heidi asks it.

I also find the Josh and his kid schtick very irritating, but I'm sure it's producer generated so I'm trying not to hold it against him.

One of the things I hated the most about last season was that they only talked to a couple designers at each judging, and it looks like they are doing that again. If they stopped with the tedious "are you changing your mind" bullshit, they would have time to talk to all or most of them. I also really miss having the models standing their during the judging so I can get a better look at the garments and the finishing. 

• Love 10

I also don't like the "did you change your mind" schtick but other than that, I'm glad the show is back.  It's both attractive and unattractive to look at, ha and mostly fun.  Olivia has the only really irritating personality for me right now.   I don't know who the judges are but that's because I have no fashion world knowledge.  Oh, Heidi can be annoying but I still like Tim.

I like Gary and Brooklyn Andrea.    This is just "I like the clothes they made but can't wear them".  The last 2 eps I was fine with the eliminations, though I would probably have sent Josh and his clown clothes home last week, even though he won this week.  His talking about his family doesn't bother me. 

So - did Lucie blatantly lie when the judges asked  her if the model had her hands up because the garment would fall down if she didn't?  Sure seemed that way.    I don't really care, may as well take that chance.  I like Lucie and at least she said the garment was sewed because she didn't give correct/clear instructions to the seamstress; that she didn't blame the seamstress.

I find the seamstress stuff kind of interesting - the designers are taking a chance if they're not clear about what they need, there's no time for the seamstress to check with them.  I don't need to watch the designers sewing all of the time.  However, if part of the focus is supposed to be on building a business/brand, then do more than give that minor lip service.

Eh, minor issues really.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

One of the things I hated the most about last season was that they only talked to a couple designers at each judging, and it looks like they are doing that again. If they stopped with the tedious "are you changing your mind" bullshit, they would have time to talk to all or most of them. I also really miss having the models standing their during the judging so I can get a better look at the garments and the finishing. 

Seems to be a staple of Bravo shows that they're copying, no?  Top Chef and Project Runway always did the talking to the top designers/chefs and the bottom designers/chefs to decide a winner and a loser.

I think it's assumed that talking to the middle designers would be boring ("Your design is fine") or too controversial to air (One judge hates it, one judge loves it which would show that the judges don't really have integrity or good criteria.)

6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Seems to be a staple of Bravo shows that they're copying, no?  Top Chef and Project Runway always did the talking to the top designers/chefs and the bottom designers/chefs to decide a winner and a loser.

I think it's assumed that talking to the middle designers would be boring ("Your design is fine") or too controversial to air (One judge hates it, one judge loves it which would show that the judges don't really have integrity or good criteria.)

I think it's most likely just a time issue, if they have 10 designers and talk to each of them for 2 minutes that's almost half the episode spend on runway critiques.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Grischa said:

I think it's most likely just a time issue, if they have 10 designers and talk to each of them for 2 minutes that's almost half the episode spend on runway critiques.

Well yes of course, it takes less time, I was just giving ideas of why they'd cut THAT instead of anything else in the show.

• Love 1
On 7/18/2021 at 7:34 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I actually like seafoam green.  I know that it's become the shorthand cliche for the ugly bridesmaid dress colour, but I do like it.  Tim's probably right that judges have a bias against it though.  I've heard that about green on the runway in general.  

I don't mind the color either, but the designer was like "it's so vibrant" or something when he described it.  That got a lifted eyebrow from me, because that is not in a million years how I would describe the color.  It's a pastel.  They aren't bold colors.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, raven said:

I find the seamstress stuff kind of interesting - the designers are taking a chance if they're not clear about what they need, there's no time for the seamstress to check with them.  I don't need to watch the designers sewing all of the time.  However, if part of the focus is supposed to be on building a business/brand, then do more than give that minor lip service.

Eh, minor issues really.

A designer has to be very meticulous about communicating to the sewer exactly what needs to be done.  If the pattern pieces aren't drafted and cut correctly and the construction isn't done in the right order, you have a Lucie situation.  It can be very technical, and a novice sewer, no matter how "creative" their "vision" is will have a disaster on their hands if they don't pay attention. 

Or you end up with a "designer" like Anya on PR years back who won by basically just draping and twisting flowy fabric.  And not Rami Kashou-level draping, but tween-girls-with-fabric-scraps draping.  (Apologies to any not having watched Project Runaway for my references!)

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Or you end up with a "designer" like Anya on PR years back who won by basically just draping and twisting flowy fabric.

Anya was still a more worthy winner than Gretchen, at least Anya's draped dresses looked decent unlike Gretchens booger-green droopy diapers.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Grischa said:

Anya was still a more worthy winner than Gretchen, at least Anya's draped dresses looked decent unlike Gretchens booger-green droopy diapers.

A MILLION percent true!  

• Love 4

All I saw in Andrea P’s designs were Spider-Man. 

Dushyant made clothes that do appeal. Maybe not if you are focused on clients who drink wine on yachts but more often than not that level of client leads to 6 figure deficits at the end of fiscal. Perhaps they should define their vision for a “brand”.

Olivia is tiresome and that mess should have sent her packing.

• Love 3
On 7/17/2021 at 3:47 PM, Passing Strange said:

Agree that Winnie Harlow is much, much better than Naomi Campbell. I'm just not sure why we need models on the judging panel. They don't design or construct clothes; they make them look good. It seems like the expertise equivalent of  having food photographers judge Top Chef. Plus, I don't question Heidi's taste level. I know it's bad.

I completely agree.  Winnie is a big improvement over Naomi, but I think it would be much better to have a couple of designers or fashion editors on the judging panel.  They have 2 models and one designer.  Tim doesn't judge; he would make a better judge than Heidi, who wears some atrocious fashions.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I completely agree.  Winnie is a big improvement over Naomi, but I think it would be much better to have a couple of designers or fashion editors on the judging panel.  They have 2 models and one designer.  Tim doesn't judge; he would make a better judge than Heidi, who wears some atrocious fashions.

I mentioned Gretchen winning Project Runway above and she was pushed through by Nina and Michael aka the fashion editor and designer on the panel while Heidi and Jessica Simpson aka the model and singer fought for Mondo. So I don't think adding more editors or designers over models would necessarily lead to better designs getting praised.

Heidi might say "I'd wear that" quite often but that doesn't always mean she makes bad choices, in this episode she was team Joshua for example and his women's outfit was neither short nor tight which would have been a Heidi cliche.

• Love 2

I liked Josh’s looks and the colors he used. Agree he should shut it about his kid, he’s not the only parent there.  I liked Gary’s as well. 
Dushyant’s looks were for normal people to wear, but not for a show like this. Someone mentioned Target, I agree. 
I don’t know how Lucie made the cut, the big triangle piece was falling off her model and the model looked so miserable in the SM picture. Olivia’s squeaked by too because her one look didn’t look finished.

I am disappointed by the designers having seamstresses again. And then they were upset things were not completed or sewn wrong. And maybe they should have two days instead of one to get things done right then. I also hate the drawn out judging, have you changed your mind? Have you? Ugh. 

• Love 3
On 7/21/2021 at 11:21 AM, leighdear said:

A designer has to be very meticulous about communicating to the sewer exactly what needs to be done.  If the pattern pieces aren't drafted and cut correctly and the construction isn't done in the right order, you have a Lucie situation.  It can be very technical, and a novice sewer, no matter how "creative" their "vision" is will have a disaster on their hands if they don't pay attention. 

Yeah, I find it really interesting - a different facet of the designer's personality; a trait they need to have to run a successful fashion business, which is one of the things this show is supposed to be about.  I'm sure there is some producer messing around behind the scenes, though.

• Love 3

I couldn't believe Lucie's model had to hold her dress on.  Couldn't Lucie add on a couple of straps or some other fastener to help the situation.  I thought I would like Lucie's fashions, but with those outfits, I think she should have been eliminated.  Hopefully the designers will be given more time in future challenges, because they really didn't produce great stuff this time.

I do not like the aspect of the judging when they announce whether they have changed their mind or not...

• Love 3
(edited)

During the pandemic I've watched more reality TV than I normally do, and I've noticed the overuse of loud vapid interstitial music from nameless, faceless "singers" who all sound the same. It's the equivalent of cheesy visual effects that are pulled from "101 Effects for $29.99" video editing software packages.

Mute and closed captioning ON, fast forward engaged.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
36 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

During the pandemic I've watched more reality TV than I normally do, and I've noticed the overuse of loud vapid interstitial music from nameless, faceless "singers"

I watch most TV with CC, and I'm even treated to the words of this pointless music. The words are pointless as well.

• Love 3
On 7/16/2021 at 8:36 PM, akg said:

Joshua's look is available here (some posters were having trouble finding the look from episode 1 and, as long as I was getting that link, I figured I'd grab this one too).

I had a look.  The reviews are terrible.    Apparently the fabric used for the cover up…someone compared it to a shower curtain.   Too bad.  I liked the colours and was glad he won.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:
On 7/16/2021 at 8:36 PM, akg said:

I had a look.  The reviews are terrible.    Apparently the fabric used for the cover up…someone compared it to a shower curtain.   Too bad.  I liked the colours and was glad he won.  

I looked quickly and was surprised that the price was more reasonable than what I remembered from last season, but then from the reviews, as pointed out, that came with a cost.  Sigh.

• Love 1

Oh the drama for no reason whatsoever!  What, Winnie, you changed your mind?  That means the "influencers" will decide who wins.  Well, they made a huge deal of the influences and creating a small collection with them, so OF COURSE the influencers were ALWAYS going to make that decision.  I would wager that there will never be an unexpected change of mind and that any time one of the judges "changes" mind it was all worked out before hand.

• Love 2

I did appreciate that they appeared to have recruited a diverse array of influencers but was not surprised that one of the white women was chosen in the end.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I would wager that there will never be an unexpected change of mind and that any time one of the judges "changes" mind it was all worked out before hand.

I totally agree. They don't actually change their minds, it's more that they think it will be more dramatic if they pretend it was a slam dunk but then "change their minds" so that the influencers make the decision, which was always going to happen since they have a vested interest.

I hate the "did you change your mind" conceit. It is lame, takes up time and adds nothing other than making the designers think they can talk their way into staying rather than design their way into staying. I don't care how persuasive a designer is, if I don't like the crap they make I'm not going to buy it just because they have some great story or are really, really passionate about what they do. just show me the clothes!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

I hate the "did you change your mind" conceit. It is lame, takes up time and adds nothing other than making the designers think they can talk their way into staying rather than design their way into staying. I don't care how persuasive a designer is, if I don't like the crap they make I'm not going to buy it just because they have some great story or are really, really passionate about what they do. just show me the clothes!

This!  If you have to explain the entire concept, you've lost your audience.  Only the filthy rich can afford clothing that's incomprehensible.  I'm looking at you, Kanye!

Gary is the perfect example of a designer letting his clothing speak for him, and it will beautifully and uniquely tell his story.  

• Love 5
On 7/17/2021 at 8:38 PM, Leeds said:

Does anyone else think Gary looks like Anthony Andrews, the actor who played Dr Green on ER

Anthony Edwards. Yeah he does not remind me of him, but I really do like Gary. I’m interested to see what else he can come up with.

2 hours ago, Lukeysboat said:

Anthony Edwards. Yeah he does not remind me of him, but I really do like Gary. I’m interested to see what else he can come up with.

Thanks!  (Anthony Andrews was one of my first TV crushes on Brideshead Revisited many many moons ago, which is probably why his name came to mind.)

First off, glad they ditched the Heidi and Tim shenanigans this time - they were beyond annoying. Also glad they ditched Heidi screeching about ONE MILLION DOLLARS every damn episode. Agree with others that the whole "have you changed your mind" is not suspenseful at all ... it's boring. I would rather they mix it up a bit and POW! send 2 people home or do unexpected stuff at judging like NO ONE wins because all the clothes suck... stuff like that. Also also agree with ditching the music. Too loud and distracting.

I actually miss Naomi Campbell and I don't mind having veteran models judging fashion. Naomi is an OG and when she said things like "respect has to be paid to the couture" it cracked me up. Plus, she's been in the business for 30+ years, as has Heidi, and I'd argue that they know FAHSHION as well as other professionals (e.g. editors, other designers) - being dressed and photographed and doing runway work for years will certainly give you experience in being able to judge what works and what doesn't. Although yes I do agree that saying "I'd wear  that" is not necessarily a substantive critique. 

Jeremy makes my eyes roll so far back in my head with his pretentious sunglass inside wearing - and Moschino ... Im not fashionista but aren't those clothes tacky af? Not really impressed with him... meh. 

Did the designers choose their models? Wondering because Andrea is the only one with the plus size model... obviously it's been to her benefit because Tim and the judges are just AMAZED she can actually make clothes look nice on someone *gasp* *whisper* CURVY *eek** She must be a wizard (another eye roll). 

Can they send Mr. Joshua "for my kid/love hero is a stupid brand name" home, already? I did like his resort robe (I'd wear it, hee) but man is he annoying. As is Olivia. 

• Love 1