Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Pressure Drop

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Right!  That was my initial response.  He’s not stable.....what’s going on? Hmmmmm what kind of cancer did he have before?

Throat cancer. IIRC.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

That was my initial response.  He’s not stable.....what’s going on?

Interesting point, trying to control what he can.  And if you think about it, you don't see him with a lot of support system to get him through his grief, or adjusting as a single parent.  His in-laws seem to be kind of against him in that they think they could do this better.  His work associates are just that, colleagues, not really friends (maybe Helen?).  Really he just comes across as lonely and sad.  Maybe these manic phases are to keep busy and mask the pain.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, jabRI said:

Interesting point, trying to control what he can.  And if you think about it, you don't see him with a lot of support system to get him through his grief, or adjusting as a single parent.  His in-laws seem to be kind of against him in that they think they could do this better.  His work associates are just that, colleagues, not really friends (maybe Helen?).  Really he just comes across as lonely and sad.  Maybe these manic phases are to keep busy and mask the pain.

What happened to his lady friend with a baby?

So the question is is the writing actually decent and they are weaving in this arc without blatantly spelling it out or is the writing really bad and he's a caricature.  I can't decide which is more plausible.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

What happened to his lady friend with a baby?

I don't remember which one initiated it, but things took a turn for the romantic and I think Max said he was not ready for that, so they stopped hanging out. 

1 hour ago, yourmomiseasy said:

So the question is is the writing actually decent and they are weaving in this arc without blatantly spelling it out or is the writing really bad and he's a caricature.  I can't decide which is more plausible.

I'd like think the writing is secretly much stronger than it is, but I kind of feel like the people who have given us Iggy's stalker don't have it in them to pull it off. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I know the expired insulin thing was to get Dr. Reynolds to be sympathetic with the surgeon who left his son in the car, but it seems so out of character for him. And why is his mother now so incompetent that she she doesn’t understand the importance of controlling her diet? Apparently she eats whatever her new boyfriend gives her. It too is out of character for the character as we first saw her.

They've been infantilizing her since Reynolds was forced to ride herd on her after her diagnosis, but this time they set her up to be a parallel to an actual fucking helpless child

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 5/12/2021 at 3:52 AM, auchic said:

Has Max or his MIL not heard of DIY air conditioners? Two fans and a big bowl of ice go a long way. 

I wondered why Max didn't plop Luna into a tepid bath. That's the way we used to cool down kids, not stick them in front of an air conditioner.

I also wonder why it was Gwen taking Luna outside when Max was at home. Isn't that why he brought her back from CT?

On 5/11/2021 at 11:08 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I  wish they had focused more on the child neglect.  Leaving children in hot cars is a huge issue and no matter how widely it’s publicized, people keep doing it.  It has to be stopped!  Also, there should have been a criminal investigation, not such an informal chat with one lady who takes the doctors word about it.  Not right.  That kid is still at risk of neglect. 

I wondered if this was going to play into Max's problems with finding someone to look after Luna, leading him into some kind of epiphany.  The case was very similar to his own -- single parent, busy doctor, difficult to find stable childcare as Covid blows hot and cold.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, did they say it was expired insulin or expired insulin and expired milk?  The doctor should know that insulin has a long shelf life. Usually, 2 yrs on fast acting. Long acting at least a year. Even after the date expires it works fine.  If he’s not an Endocrinologist, he might not realize this.  Expired milk is different. That’s more of a problem.  The show needs a better resource for their diabetes information.  

It was insulin that expired five weeks earlier

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Throat cancer. IIRC.

Yeah, I believe it was an early stage throat cancer.

Let's see who is the worst doctor this week! It's "I had to skip chemo this week to get a blood transfusion today" Edition!

So, uhhhh, mother in law seemed to be happy to be in an air conditioned place - did she want her granddaughter to be sitting in a 103 degree apartment?

i'm going to guess this episode max crusades against climate change and obviously he'll convert the hospital into a giant solar panel that totally won't turn into a supervillain death ray for the streets of new york

me when Sharpe was saying the niece needs to see a therapist: "maybe take her to a mosque, see if an imam or a religious official can help counsel her?" 10 seconds later, the show listens to me - is this going to be a decent episode?

Sharpe should be happy the niece is seeking out help herself

um iggy you should not meet with that patient when he has already demonstrated obsessive behavior, you should've just mailed the hat back to him and talked to an attorney about how to protect yourself and your family, you have kids

so are we gonna have an episode end sometime with iggy being in mortal peril because of obsessive patient

uh oh, Reynolds breaking the window of a car and pulling a kid out, is he gonna be held at gunpoint by cops who don't believe he is a doctor

um reynolds, did you just kidnap that child?

max, fixing global warming at new amsterdam is a good goal, but not something you can do overnight

no max, sterile gloves are needed. I bet if you shopped around, you could find sterile gloves that weren't toxic for the environment at an increased cost

um iggy why do you lie to your patients all the time, you lied to that patient to obtain his consent for a brain scan

sharpe, you ordered the tests, you should've put the order in

wait why did reynolds even bring the kid into the OR, just to insert the tube?

reynolds his temp is down - although it dropped shockingly quickly - 40.2 c (104.3) one second and 39.2 (102.5) the second

max how did you get rid of the red meat that quickly, you probably have a contract with a nutritional company - maybe hire a team of chefs to make some good sustainable food for patients?

wait wouldn't there be signs of a "raging infection" in a CBC? She should have elevated neutrophils fighting off that infection

sharpe if your patient is slurring her words you don't call Bloom in for a chat, you yell to get blood thinners and a scan of the year for a suspected stroke

how did max get LED bulbs for every light in the hospital so quickly, is he some kind of supply genie

no show, leaving a kid in a car on a hot day is not comparable to using expired meds. your mother was competent the last time we saw her

hey look, Max got the yelling at he deserved

um if the tumor wasn't on the MRI why did you just go poking around in the dude's brain - also, world's quickest neurosurgery?

oh look sharpe has a eureka moment with her patient

reynolds you can't guilt a social worker into not dealing with a kid left in a hot car

holy crap is Max *apologizing* to people? this is amazing

oh no he's just going to piss off everyone

max can scalpels even really be used safely multiple times? you should let them use their single use supplies until they are exhausted, not just throw them out

uh oh, we're seeing Iggy's home life and there's a few minutes left in the episode, I bet something's gonna happen with obsessed patient

yeah iggy you need to take a restraining order out against that guy yesterday

bloom don't blame her for your psychological issues

So, the worst doctor of the week? I'm going for the low hanging fruit and this week's Worst Doctor is Max! This is his first win for Worst Doctor.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, bros402 said:

max can scalpels even really be used safely multiple times? you should let them use their single use supplies until they are exhausted, not just throw them out

OK, I’m old… when did single use scalpels even become a thing? Whatever happened to autoclaving them?

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, bros402 said:

max how did you get rid of the red meat that quickly, you probably have a contract with a nutritional company - maybe hire a team of chefs to make some good sustainable food for patients?

That's another thing I was thinking about. A hospital would have dieticians and chefs on staff to design appropriate meals for various patient needs. He didn't seem to have any conversations with any of them.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

That's another thing I was thinking about. A hospital would have dieticians and chefs on staff to design appropriate meals for various patient needs. He didn't seem to have any conversations with any of them.

He hasn't had a conversation with that diversity officer that apparently existed for three years until he found her office, and she would probably be a good resource for all of these changes he wants to make for inequities in pregnancy/labor/delivery for women of color, and that Native American woman last week.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

He hasn't had a conversation with that diversity officer that apparently existed for three years until he found her office, and she would probably be a good resource for all of these changes he wants to make for inequities in pregnancy/labor/delivery for women of color, and that Native American woman last week.

Why do I feel like we're never going to see her again?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

This show has turned into a nauseating soap opera of wokeness.  If anybody out there isn’t aware that there are serious flaws in our healthcare systems, please raise your hand.  So let’s have some traumatized white self appointed savior run amuck in the hospital every week on a tear about everything wrong in America that he’s going to fix all by himself with radical mandates that make no sense.

In the real world I’m pretty sure he’d be on Administrative leave already, pending a full psych work up for returning to work.

• Love 13
23 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

OK, I’m old… when did single use scalpels even become a thing? Whatever happened to autoclaving them?

I cannot find a precise date on it - but it looks like disposable scalpels rose in popularity over the last few decades - with some scalpels having the blade detachable from the handle, with the blade being replaced after each use

• Useful 3
On 5/13/2021 at 1:54 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Even then, there was no AC in our school! No fans either.  I never thought much about it being overly hot....just go sit outside in the shade....I am glad I have it now.  

It is a comfort and a privilege for sure. Some schools in the deep South, and I believe in some big cities, although I am not 100% sure. still don't have a/c or fans - of course, they serve the black community

On 5/13/2021 at 5:11 PM, Granny58 said:

yes, all those water bottles bother me.

You just have to buy the expensive, better, purer water touted by celebrities (it is sarcasm, obviously)

1 hour ago, circumvent said:

It is a comfort and a privilege for sure. Some schools in the deep South, and I believe in some big cities, although I am not 100% sure. still don't have a/c or fans - of course, they serve the black community

You just have to buy the expensive, better, purer water touted by celebrities (it is sarcasm, obviously)

Really? Omg. I can’t imagine schools with no AC now.  I’m in NC and still visit some very rural counties and even they have modern schools, amenities, etc. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Really? Omg. I can’t imagine schools with no AC now.  I’m in NC and still visit some very rural counties and even they have modern schools, amenities, etc. 

I live in the south and don't know of any areas that don't have AC in the schools. Not saying that there's none out there, but I don't know of any and I travel around this area quite a bit.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

it is surprising.  I went to school in the 70s in NC and we had A/C.  

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/12/2021 at 11:43 PM, renatae said:

I have an autoimmune disease and I am intolerant of high temperatures as well. I'm weak when I get out of the shower if it's too hot. I'm just about nonfunctional in very high  temperatures.

People with MS have a great deal of trouble in elevated temperatures as their demyelinated nerves don't conduct electrical impulses as well. People with lung issues are also compromised during hot, humid weather, just for two examples.

I have an autoimmune disease, and extensive nerve damage, high heats cause pain, make me physically sick. Storms are hell for me, it feels like it is lightening deep inside my feet and limbs. Just have learned to live with it, but need air conditioning in my bedroom.

If you don't have any serious health issues, then you just can't even imagine what some of us go through with high heat and fluctuating weather patterns. Not fun.

Edited by mittsigirl
spelling mistake
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
On 5/13/2021 at 11:54 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I suppose it’s all relative.  I grew up in the south with no AC until I was 7 years old.  Even then, there was no AC in our school! No fans either.  I never thought much about it being overly hot....just go sit outside in the shade....I am glad I have it now.  

I will say that the show has made me think a little more about things like water bottles, energy usage, resources, global warming, etc.  I need to do my research to educate myself on issues.  I can do my part.  I’m not alone in this.  

I had a very specific mindset about the environment, but then just finished watching a documentary that really opened up my eyes! It's called 'Kiss The Ground', available on Netflix. Excellent. 

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, mittsigirl said:

If you don't have any serious health issues, then you just can't even imagine what some of us go through with high heat and fluctuating weather patterns. Not fun.

Oh, I can imagine. The point is that a/c is a type of luxury and when you do't have it, creativity and luck must kick in. It makes the lives of people with the serious issues much more difficult for sure. Losing something - as in having it one day and not the next - is much worse because we plan our lives according to the things we have. We things are gone, it can be actually fatal for some. That's why I mentioned that electricity is the real danger. Places like Gaza have electricity only for 8 hours/day. I am pretty sure that there are people with serious diseases there too, but most were born under those conditions, so their lives are adapted to survive with the little they have. Many probably die because of the lack of the basics.

22 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

20 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

I live in the south and don't know of any areas that don't have AC in the schools. Not saying that there's none out there, but I don't know of any and I travel around this area quite a bit.

19 hours ago, Granny58 said:

I don't have the recent studies but a few years ago they did one - I don't remember the agency responsible, not the DoE - and they concluded that about 50% of the schools had "inadequate" cooling/heating, and many had no a/c or heating at all. There was a photo of kids wearing hats and coats in the classroom. One of the worst cases of inadequacies was in Baltimore - there was cooling but the system was so old and badly maintained, that they had to choose to not use it because of mold, for example (obviously not the South, but schools in underserved communities in the summer makes the situation very similar to some of the other cases)

• Love 1

I'm in NJ and the school district I went to is expected to have air conditioning in all schools by the end of this year.

when I was in school (graduated in 2008), the only form of cooling allowed was a teeny tiny fan they installed on the walls of some of the classrooms - teachers couldn't bring in fans, and students were not allowed water bottles

On 5/16/2021 at 9:42 AM, circumvent said:

I don't have the recent studies but a few years ago they did one - I don't remember the agency responsible, not the DoE - and they concluded that about 50% of the schools had "inadequate" cooling/heating, and many had no a/c or heating at all. There was a photo of kids wearing hats and coats in the classroom. One of the worst cases of inadequacies was in Baltimore - there was cooling but the system was so old and badly maintained, that they had to choose to not use it because of mold, for example (obviously not the South, but schools in underserved communities in the summer makes the situation very similar to some of the other cases)

Oh, I see.  Not just the south though.  Here in PA my kid's highschool had "inadequate" cooling and they were just roasting.  Also, leaky ceilings.  

21 hours ago, bros402 said:

I'm in NJ and the school district I went to is expected to have air conditioning in all schools by the end of this year.

when I was in school (graduated in 2008), the only form of cooling allowed was a teeny tiny fan they installed on the walls of some of the classrooms - teachers couldn't bring in fans, and students were not allowed water bottles

The water bottle rule was awful. I am in NJ too and I remember 90-degree days with no air conditioning and being told I couldn't drink water. Super healthy environment.

When I graduated in 99 they were had added air conditioning to the administration office, the nurses office, and the computer labs. I have no idea what they have done since then.

1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

The water bottle rule was awful. I am in NJ too and I remember 90-degree days with no air conditioning and being told I couldn't drink water. Super healthy environment.

When I graduated in 99 they were had added air conditioning to the administration office, the nurses office, and the computer labs. I have no idea what they have done since then.

It was super duper healthy! Especially on 100 degree days. When I graduated, they had AC in the board offices, the main office, the computer lab, the auditorium, and the nurses office.

However, on hot days, nobody was allowed in the auditorium, because it would "make the district's electric bill go up"

On 5/15/2021 at 2:31 PM, Granny58 said:

Went to school in the 60's with no A/C, no fans and only the bottom half of the window opened.  Hot yes, but that's how it was and I lived in a nice white  middle class neighbood.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, cameron said:

Went to school in the 60's with no A/C, no fans and only the bottom half of the window opened.  Hot yes, but that's how it was and I lived in a nice white  middle class neighbood.

By the time I got to HS, they got rid of the windows that opened - you could move a dial so a bit of air could get through, but nobody could put anything in or out of the windows

On 5/12/2021 at 9:35 PM, cardigirl said:

What does heat sensitive mean? I'm not fond of humidity either, but can function without AC. 

There are people with respiratory issues who cannot tolerate heat and/or humidity, and I’m one of them.  I had polio when I was two, and now with post polio syndrome, my lungs are a wreck and if I get too hot or sit in humidity, it could be a trip to the ER.  Add to that is the fact I have severe allergies, so doors and windows stay shut, so AC is a must. 

• Useful 1

On 5/11/2021 at 8:08 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I wish they had focused more on the child neglect.  Leaving children in hot cars is a huge issue and no matter how widely it’s publicized, people keep doing it.  It has to be stopped!  Also, there should have been a criminal investigation, not such an informal chat with one lady who takes the doctors word about it.  Not right.  That kid is still at risk of neglect. 

True, but the only reason for having this storyline was to reinforce that global warming will make the situation worse.  

On 5/12/2021 at 4:15 AM, Cloud9Shopper said:

Lauren’s rationale for wanting to break up with Leyla made no sense. I initially thought we’d find out Leyla got a job at New Amsterdam and that Lauren would be her boss so they can’t be together, but the dialogue we got was backwards. 

Lauren tries to break up with Leyla because Leyla make her too happy. Sharpe broke up with her boyfriend because her 16 year old niece was going to live with her.  I am guessing the none of the writers have had a relationship that lasted longer than a few weeks.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 5/11/2021 at 11:31 PM, ams1001 said:

So...Iggy's kid meets some young adult guy in the park who claims to be her dad's friend and gives her his ratty old hat, and she doesn't think that's at all weird? You'd think Iggy and Martin would teach their kids to be a little more wary of strangers, especially given what they do for a living and also that they live in a big city.

Seriously, this is literally the most stereotypical "stranger danger" trope out there...I grew up in the '80s and heard about not believing people who claim to be mom or dad's friends right along with not accepting rides with strangers in vans claiming to be looking for lost pets. And Iggy wanted to adopt ANOTHER kid?? How about properly parenting the ones you've got first, dude??

• Love 1
On 5/24/2021 at 11:54 AM, needschocolate said:

Lauren tries to break up with Leyla because Leyla make her too happy.

Honestly, if I were Leyla I would NEVER have gotten romantically involved with the person who's literally keeping me from living on the streets for this very reason...they can break up with you at any moment, over any stupid thing, and that's that. And likewise, Lauren shouldn't have gotten involved because conversely, she held all the power in that situation. I guess Leyla figured she'd passed the US boards and would be able to get a job as a doctor again, so she wouldn't be as vulnerable as she initially was?

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/12/2021 at 9:35 PM, cardigirl said:

What does heat sensitive mean? I'm not fond of humidity either, but can function without AC. 

Catching up on the show. I'm heat-sensitive but not in a way that makes a/c a life-or-death matter for me - if I exert myself outside when it's hot, I can pass out and/or seize (fun times). Have come close to the same thing at a crowded concert (not an uncommon phenomenon, if the lack of surprise exhibited by the bouncer who basically dragged me outside and gave me ice chips was any indication) and even the shower a couple of times. No diagnosis or real idea why. But just sitting around indoors isn't dangerous.

However, sleep is a thing - I work nights, so obviously hotter temps during the day compounds the problem, but there's little that contributes to poor sleep quantity/quality like being too hot. That's less comfort and more being rested enough to work and otherwise function.

~

I could absolutely see Max throwing out all of the hospital's non-vegetarian foodstuffs the same day he gets his big idea. This is Max we're talking about. Otherwise, yeah, the timeline makes no sense, and with preparation Iggy could just plan to bring food from home (for someone who's trying to lose weight without lapsing into an eating disorder, throwing a load of 'your lunch is killing the planet' guilt on there probably wouldn't be particularly helpful). And in general, when people are trying to marshal their body's resources into healing from an illness or injury, it might not be the best time to force an abrupt change in their diet (and I say this as a vegetarian).

Edited by Emma9
  • Love 1

I've had heat stroke multiple times.  It's true that there are people who don't have cooling and they die. If we are advocating that people like me should just die, then let's not pretend we give a damn about disabled people. Just make it a policy: disabled people should die. You don't like that policy? Me, either.

I don't actually have AC, not a choice, just a reality. So I wear an ice vest all summer and even that isn't enough to keep me in the safe zone consistently.

We need systemic solutions to the climate crisis, but just declaring things luxuries and deciding they aren't important when they actually are life and death matters is not a solution. Likewise, there are people who don't have adequate heat in the winter and you could say heat is a luxury, if you define luxury as something people need in order to stay alive.

Adequate nutritious food is also a luxury. Not everybody gets it. It's a bad thing that we have people going hungry. Yeah, you get used to it. That's a problem, not an opportunity to shrug and be self-righteous and callous.

Max is exhausting. I like that Helen is getting fed up with his bullshit. Iggy is also really becoming an upsettingly bad doctor, and I used to like him!