Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Pressure Drop

• Start Topic

Max implements sweeping changes to hospital sustainability practices. Bloom returns from vacation, surprising everyone with a new attitude. Iggy discovers a dangerous situation with a former patient.

original air date 5/11/21

So now Max is going to fix the environment in an hour or less?

I'm no therapist but even I know Iggy should not be confronting this guy. 

"I'm gonna fix global warming...at New Amsterdam." Yeah, don't bother addressing the immediate patient-affecting problem that was just presented to you, though, Dr. Medical Director.

What is the time frame here, anyway? He eliminated red meat and everyone is complaining the same day...wouldn't they have at least some days worth of food already in the hospital kitchen? The patients of the week haven't been there that long, right? And then we're switching out all the light bulbs in the building for a different type (that they apparently got in a day)? 

I've completely given up on figuring out exactly what the deal is with Floyd's mom's diagnosis. All I recall was that she had diabetes, and now she's an invalid who needs full time care? If that was the case, why would they bother trying to teach her how to do the insulin in the first place, if she's apparently not capable of doing it. (Even though in that scene she seemed fine figuring out what the dose should be and just needed some practice with the needle.)

Why is the oncologist treating non-cancer patients in the ER?

BRB, gotta go find my eyes that rolled out of my head from Bloom's reasoning for needing to break up with Leyla.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 16
(edited)
42 minutes ago, TVForever said:

Okay, now I think Show is just punking us at this point. Max has become a weird caricature of himself. The running theme (or is it the running gag?) of the show is becoming "What incredibly stupid idea will Max come up with this week"?

If Iggy was thinking clearly he and some other lucid minds might be asking to have Max evaluated. He doesn’t seem stable to me. His actions are endangering staff and patients at this point.  There are ways to implement positive changes on a schedule so people can plan, protect and prepare.  This crazy stuff is insulting to the viewers.  

I wish they had focused more on the child neglect.  Leaving children in hot cars is a huge issue and no matter how widely it’s publicized, people keep doing it.  It has to be stopped!  Also, there should have been a criminal investigation, not such an informal chat with one lady who takes the doctors word about it.  Not right.  That kid is still at risk of neglect. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 16

So...Iggy's kid meets some young adult guy in the park who claims to be her dad's friend and gives her his ratty old hat, and she doesn't think that's at all weird? You'd think Iggy and Martin would teach their kids to be a little more wary of strangers, especially given what they do for a living and also that they live in a big city.

• Useful 3
  • Love 17

I just... I don’t know how much more of this ridiculousness I can take. Max and his stupid, nonsense hare-brained ideas, a new one every week. 

So one box of gloves for the whole department, really? What about when the staff needs to clean up vomit, blood or other bodily fluids? When they’re examining or cleaning wounds? What about when they’re examining body parts, particularly mouths, genitals and rectums? “You don’t need gloves to check Mr Peterson’s prostate! It’s bad for the environment! Just wash you hands afterwards!” Right, Max??

Who writes this crap? 

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

So...Iggy's kid meets some young adult guy in the park who claims to be her dad's friend and gives her his ratty old hat, and she doesn't think that's at all weird? You'd think Iggy and Martin would teach their kids to be a little more wary of strangers, especially given what they do for a living and also that they live in a big city.

Excellent point! They should have been particularly concerned about this patient. Showed their kids his picture and warned them about him. Or you know, strangers in general. 

• Love 21
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wish they had focused more on the child neglect.  Leaving children in hot cars is a huge issue and no matter how widely it’s publicized, people keep doing it.  It has to be stopped!  Also, there should have been a criminal investigation, not such an informal chat with one lady who takes the doctors word about it.  Not right.  That kid is still at risk of neglect. 

They ripped it from this article, which is definitely worth a read, as it goes into depth about how these incidents come to happen and what happens to the parents in the aftermath. Content warning for child death; it is a very brutal read.

If the WaPo link above is paywalled, you can read a PDF of the original article here.

Has Max or his MIL not heard of DIY air conditioners? Two fans and a big bowl of ice go a long way. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

I just started laughing hysterically when Max tried to limit the glove boxes to one per day per apartment. It looks like he has no grounding in reality. Until then I thought the first 10 minutes of the episode were legitimately good. Liked the B plot with Floyd finding the kid in the car. 

Lauren’s rationale for wanting to break up with Leyla made no sense. I initially thought we’d find out Leyla got a job at New Amsterdam and that Lauren would be her boss so they can’t be together, but the dialogue we got was backwards. 

I’m getting back into reading and writing fanfic (not for NA), and I feel like I’ve seen fanfic with better writing than whatever’s going on with this show. Between trying to finish my streaming of S14 of ER (which is atrocious on its own) and how bad this show is getting, medical shows are just not doing it for me right now.

I’m looking forward to the chemical spill episode next week, even though ER’s Exodus is the gold standard of that plot line.  

• Love 7
11 hours ago, TVForever said:

Okay, now I think Show is just punking us at this point. Max has become a weird caricature of himself. The running theme (or is it the running gag?) of the show is becoming "What incredibly stupid idea will Max come up with this week"?

I think the way to fix this ↑ is easy. TPTB should just rename the show to "BELLEVUE"

• LOL 8

Most comments here have already expressed my thoughts!

Max is insane.  He thinks he can fix a world-wide decades long problem in just one day?  I loved that Bloom rolled her eyes at him.  So at least the show knows that Max is insane, but apparently doesn't care.

As someone said above, you can't make a "no meat" mandate in the morning and stop serving it by lunch.  They have to have 1,000 pounds or more of it in their fridges and freezers... wasting what they already have is as ridiculous as whatever Max was trying to do...

Speaking of Max, he is the medical director of the largest (?*) hospital in New York City.  Public or private doesn't matter, he's still making bank.  Why does he live in a one bedroom apartment with no central air conditioning??  You need to move, Max.  Your daughter needs her own bedroom, too.  

*I think I've heard them say on the show that it's the largest.  Even if it isn't, it's still a huge hospital and his salary *has* to be able to support him getting a nicer 2-bedroom place, even in NYC.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
(edited)
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Speaking of Max, he is the medical director of the largest (?*) hospital in New York City.  Public or private doesn't matter, he's still making bank.  Why does he live in a one bedroom apartment with no central air conditioning??  You need to move, Max.  Your daughter needs her own bedroom, too.  

Yes, to this. Also, I suspect he has nanny/sitter or at least a nice daycare money (New Amsterdam's daycare wouldn't be the only daycare center in Manhattan). While it's nice for his daughter to be near family, I suspect they are building up to a showdown with the mother-in-law who is doing a lot of the childcare. This all could have been avoided if he hired help, and let Grandma be a normal grandma who sees her granddaughter on a regular basis, but doesn't have to commute in from CT 5 days a week.

Edited by TooMuchRealityTV
  • Love 12
12 hours ago, TVForever said:

I think the way to fix this ↑ is easy. TPTB should just rename the show to "BELLEVUE"

Good write-up/Max criticism here:  https://tinyurl.com/yj8qtnbo

• Love 3

I also wondered why Max wouldn’t have central air. In that case, you just set the temp so that it’s at a reasonable level.  Maybe, not super cool, but not so stifling hot that you can’t breathe.  And, use the bulbs you have in stock and gradually switch over to more environmentally sound lighting, as you go. The same with the food. Research meatless  substitutes. (Anyone tried the Burger King meatless burger? ). Also, their legal team needs to be aware of the huge liability Max is creating.  It’s just a cluster every single episode.  

The way he’s going, I could envision a custody action against him. He doesn’t seem stable.  I’m not sure of grandparents rights in NY.  

I’m frustrated that the writers seem intent to ruin the characters.  They have turned Iggy into someone I don’t care for.  (Why would a young child be out alone at night for a sports event?) Bloom’s a mess.  Floyd is the investigator, judge and jury on child neglect.  Why can’t the niece be returned home if she’s not willing to comply with rules of the house?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

The one thing I did like about this episode was that they talked about air conditioning and its impact on the environment and contribution to global warming (environmental change), yet no one I know is willing to do without it. At all. 

They recycle, maybe eat less or no red meat, try to not use plastics, etc, but by god they are NOT going to be sweaty. 😆

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Lessening the carbon footprint is complex.  You do one thing that’s great, but that can in turn impact something else that may cause even more harm.  For example, a hospital cafeteria should research and plan options, like meat substitutes.  If you just drop all meat,  it may cause staff and patients to order out and then you have an increase of people getting delivery foods like pizza and burgers brought into the facility. Now, you have more trash to deal with, the electronic doors are opening more to let delivery people in, so higher electric usage, more cars driving from across town to make deliveries,  adding to air pollution, etc.   Better for people to stay put and have a reasonable selection on the menu, imo. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
(edited)

Maybe Max's "no red meat" ticked Iggy's food issues, but Iggy overreacted (IMO).  No red meat does not mean he has nothing to eat but lettuce.  There are still poultry, fish, and eggs, not to mention lentils etc.

ETA: People can sometimes sense changes in air pressure.  A friend took flying lessons. Occasionally she woke up suddenly in the night thinking "I'm falling!"  If she checked meteorological records, she found that the air pressure had increased during the night.

Edited by Driad
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

So it took Iggy an entire episode to figure out what I knew immediately...Javier wasn’t controlling the weather, but the opposite. Hell, the barometric pressure controls my body every damn day. I know days before the weather people that it’s going to rain/snow /whatever because I feel it in my bones! I get migraines that are at least in part caused by a drop in pressure. I have old injuries that are affected by same. honestly if not a single doctor that he’s seen over the years even thought of this, Maybe they should all go back to med school?

the less said about Max’s cause of the week, the better. I’m at the point where I barely even pay attention to this show while watching because it’s just that ridiculous. but I am glad Leyla laughed in Lauren’s face and didn’t allow Lauren to break up with her.

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

the barometric pressure controls my body every damn day. I know days before the weather people that it’s going to rain/snow /whatever because I feel it in my bones! I get migraines that are at least in part caused by a drop in pressure. I have old injuries that are affected by same. 

I am exactly the same, I always know if it's going to rain or snow.  And I got migraines when I first moved to Florida but I eventually acclimated.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, jabRI said:

I am exactly the same, I always know if it's going to rain or snow.  And I got migraines when I first moved to Florida but I eventually acclimated.

I always know before I look out the window when there are dark, low, heavy clouds but it hasn't started to rain yet. Once the rain starts I can feel the weight lifting off my head.

But I never thought Iggy actually believed the guy (though I think he and the brother both had a moment when the storm started...). He was just playing along to keep him there so they could try to figure out what was causing his delusion. (Of course there is a simple, easy-to-fix reason for it - hidden tumor!)

• Love 9
(edited)
6 hours ago, cardigirl said:

The one thing I did like about this episode was that they talked about air conditioning and its impact on the environment and contribution to global warming (environmental change), yet no one I know is willing to do without it. At all. 

They recycle, maybe eat less or no red meat, try to not use plastics, etc, but by god they are NOT going to be sweaty. 😆

I’m extremely heat sensitive. I literally couldn’t function without AC in the summer. It’s not just an issue of not being sweaty for some of us.

Too bad Shin didn’t laugh in Helen’s face and talk about balance when she broke up with him over the niece. Is Daniel Dae Kim gone?

I hope this is Max’s last cause of the week.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Max is insane.  He thinks he can fix a world-wide decades long problem in just one day?  I loved that Bloom rolled her eyes at him.  So at least the show knows that Max is insane, but apparently doesn't care.

I don't understand how Max still has a job.  Each week it is the same thing: Max suddenly learns about a years old issue.  He then throws the hospital into chaos to address that issue.  Finally, he learns his big boy lesson that while the issue is important, his methods are terrible and unworkable and some other, smaller step should be taken to address the problem. 

• Love 10

I turned off the show as soon as Max said he was going to fix global warming.  I just can't anymore with his manic crusade of the week, bouncing around from cause to cause with insulting and implausible solutions and just being unlikable and unreasonable and a pretty shit leader.  Is it worth turning back on to watch the episode?

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I turned off the show as soon as Max said he was going to fix global warming.  I just can't anymore with his manic crusade of the week, bouncing around from cause to cause with insulting and implausible solutions and just being unlikable and unreasonable and a pretty shit leader.  Is it worth turning back on to watch the episode?

I don’t know if it’s worth it or not. I know it wouldn’t be if I wasn’t so desperate for entertainment.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I’m extremely heat sensitive. I literally couldn’t function without AC in the summer. It’s not just an issue of not being sweaty for some of us.

Too bad Shin didn’t laugh in Helen’s face and talk about balance when she broke up with him over the niece. Is Daniel Dae Kim gone?

I hope this is Max’s last cause of the week.

What does heat sensitive mean? I'm not fond of humidity either, but can function without AC. 

27 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don’t know if it’s worth it or not. I know it wouldn’t be if I wasn’t so desperate for entertainment.  

Thanks.  I think this might have become a show I used to watch.  

• LOL 4

I agree with most of what was already said here so just a few comments:

Barometric pressure, as some already said, is a real thing. I am in Florida and strong hurricanes cause some peopleI know to have increased seizures as the storm approaches and strengthens.

Iggy is ridiculous. That's not how you deal with people with mental illness on the verge of a crisis. It is not even about being a psychiatrist/psychologist. It is about being human. And it looks like the show will recycle (pun intended) the old stalker plot.

The nun had a crucifix as she was being shocked. Are crucifixes metal? Because that's a no-no on CPR.

I wish they had Max stopped in the beginning of his crusade and including a mini PSA because all he said are very real and true. But as pointed out, one doesn't change a menu in a few hours. The waste of food makes whatever gains not worthy. But yes, eating less meat and drinking less milk would help reduce the warming. It has to do with the huge herds of cows and all the methane they release. Any animal, really, but bovines are so numerous, they outnumber all the others, combined. Ideally, we should all go vegan. But the problems are systemic. Once a milk alternative in introduced, capitalism dictates that the highest profit needs to be made, so agro-business gets on with the destruction. It is happening with Almond, and even threatening bees. All we can do is our best, because today's youngest generation will suffer no matter what. There are solutions, like growing food only in season, which helps the soil keep it richness, and using the natural topography of the area. Really interesting stuff but really hard to achieve, considering that we are only willing to go so far, and there will be no mass migration to rural areas, or thousands of mini gardens around cities.  As for recycling, in many cities the whole thing is a joke and they are just dumping it all with the trash.

Kid in hot car is heartbreaking and it happens a lot. Social services saying the father could be arrested and lose the kid is just another failure of the system. He was clearly overwhelmed and wasn't trying to hurt his son. There are other ways to deal with this situation. Almost every day in the hot months there is a case of people leaving disabled people in cars, sometimes resulting in deaths. Those people are rarely punished, even win it is clear they just didn't care. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

What does heat sensitive mean? I'm not fond of humidity either, but can function without AC

We adapt. More than half the world doesn't have heat or A/C and they survive. I lived in MA for a while and while I am grateful for the heat during most of the year, I survived the few weeks of impossible heat and humidity.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ah, Max on another tear. When are they going to get off this train? Of course, he was always a crusader, but at least it always had to do with the practice of medicine.

Please, showrunners, get back on track.

Edited by renatae
  • Love 6

Since this hospital is based on Bellevue -- is there any chance that this is a psychological experiment, to see what happens when the inmates think they are in charge of the asylum?

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, circumvent said:

More than half the world doesn't have heat or A/C and they survive.

Well, countries survive (so far) but people die. During heat waves there are excess deaths, and presumably many other people who are adversely affected far short of dying. Excess mortality from a heatwave in August 2003 in France, for example, was estimated at 15,000, or an excess of 55% over normal. (70,000 in Europe as a whole). Per https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1950160/

"From August 1st to 20th, 2003, 15000 excess deaths were observed. From 35 years age, the excess mortality was marked and increased with age. It was 15% higher in women than in men of comparable age as of age 45 years. Excess mortality at home and in retirement institutions was greater than that in hospitals. The mortality of widowed, single and divorced subjects was greater than that of married people. Deaths directly related to heat, heatstroke, hyperthermia and dehydration increased massively. Cardiovascular diseases, ill-defined morbid disorders, respiratory diseases and nervous system diseases also markedly contributed to the excess mortality. The geographic variations in mortality showed a clear age-dependent relationship with the number of very hot days. No harvesting effect was observed."

According to https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1631069107003770?via%3Dihub there were 70,000 excess deaths in Europe as a whole during that roughly 2-week heat wave, and there have been fairly frequent serious heat waves since, with accompanying deaths (people were shocked at the mortality, though, and have gotten a little better at protecting the vulnerable by checking in on people & providing cool places for people to go). We've seen similar results in heat waves in Chicago and other places in the US - the one in France was one of the more extreme ones and so the first I thought to google for details.

I know I handled heat better when I was younger, and I'm not that old. Mostly I just don't manage to get much done, though. People who are on some prescription meds also lose some of their capacity to withstand extremes in heat. 

That said, Max should look into more efficient means of cooling his apartment, rather than just letting his daughter be miserable unnecessarily. Let it be 80 inside, sure, get a fan, get better insulation or better shades, but in the meantime turning on the AC for 10 minutes when she comes through the door hot, so she can get comfortable, is not that big a deal. Maybe instead of comforting her with a (warm!) hug, get her some ice water or a popsicle or something. And the rest of the episode was just exhausting and ridiculous. Sure these are real issues, but the approach is ludicrous. I don't know why I started watching this again, and I guess I'll see the season out, but I'm done after that. 

Edited by akr
  • Like 1
  • Love 13
(edited)
2 hours ago, cardigirl said:

What does heat sensitive mean? I'm not fond of humidity either, but can function without AC. 

It means what it says: I’m sensitive to heat. I have an autoimmune disorder. Is that sufficient information for you?

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 8
50 minutes ago, renatae said:

Ah, Max on another tear. When are they going to get off this train? Of course, he was always a crusader, but at least it always had to do with the practice of medicine.

Please, showrunners, get back on track.

I watch medical dramas for storylines based on medical situations not to be lectured to. 

• Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

It means what it says: I’m sensitive to heat. I have an autoimmune disorder. Is that sufficient information for you?

I have an autoimmune disease and I am intolerant of high temperatures as well. I'm weak when I get out of the shower if it's too hot. I'm just about nonfunctional in very high  temperatures.

People with MS have a great deal of trouble in elevated temperatures as their demyelinated nerves don't conduct electrical impulses as well. People with lung issues are also compromised during hot, humid weather, just for two examples.

Edited by renatae
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, akr said:

That said, Max should look into more efficient means of cooling his apartment, rather than just letting his daughter be miserable unnecessarily. Let it be 80 inside, sure, get a fan, get better insulation or better shades, but in the meantime turning on the AC for 10 minutes when she comes through the door hot, so she can get comfortable, is not that big a deal.

I agree with that. Besides, turning A/C on and off is wasteful too. When we get used to some comforts, we do things that more or less depends on those comforts, we forget the creativity. It sucks be without a/C and some people do need it for medical reasons, but they only need it because nobody has been creative enough to develop back ups. Heat waves can kill but this is also a part of a systemic problem that make people to do things and expect things that gives them/us some comfort. Worse than a/c, the lack of electricity is what can kill many more and really disrupt life. Education about cooling/heating usage should be mandatory

• Love 1
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

8 hours ago, cardigirl said:

8 hours ago, circumvent said:

We adapt. More than half the world doesn't have heat or A/C and they survive. I lived in MA for a while and while I am grateful for the heat during most of the year, I survived the few weeks of impossible heat and humidity.

6 hours ago, akr said:

Well, countries survive (so far) but people die. During heat waves there are excess deaths, and presumably many other people who are adversely affected far short of dying. Excess mortality from a heatwave in August 2003 in France, for example, was estimated at 15,000, or an excess of 55% over normal. (70,000 in Europe as a whole). Per https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1950160/

"From August 1st to 20th, 2003, 15000 excess deaths were observed. From 35 years age, the excess mortality was marked and increased with age. It was 15% higher in women than in men of comparable age as of age 45 years. Excess mortality at home and in retirement institutions was greater than that in hospitals. The mortality of widowed, single and divorced subjects was greater than that of married people. Deaths directly related to heat, heatstroke, hyperthermia and dehydration increased massively. Cardiovascular diseases, ill-defined morbid disorders, respiratory diseases and nervous system diseases also markedly contributed to the excess mortality. The geographic variations in mortality showed a clear age-dependent relationship with the number of very hot days. No harvesting effect was observed."

According to https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1631069107003770?via%3Dihub there were 70,000 excess deaths in Europe as a whole during that roughly 2-week heat wave, and there have been fairly frequent serious heat waves since, with accompanying deaths (people were shocked at the mortality, though, and have gotten a little better at protecting the vulnerable by checking in on people & providing cool places for people to go). We've seen similar results in heat waves in Chicago and other places in the US - the one in France was one of the more extreme ones and so the first I thought to google for details.

I know I handled heat better when I was younger, and I'm not that old. Mostly I just don't manage to get much done, though. People who are on some prescription meds also lose some of their capacity to withstand extremes in heat. 

That said, Max should look into more efficient means of cooling his apartment, rather than just letting his daughter be miserable unnecessarily. Let it be 80 inside, sure, get a fan, get better insulation or better shades, but in the meantime turning on the AC for 10 minutes when she comes through the door hot, so she can get comfortable, is not that big a deal. Maybe instead of comforting her with a (warm!) hug, get her some ice water or a popsicle or something. And the rest of the episode was just exhausting and ridiculous. Sure these are real issues, but the approach is ludicrous. I don't know why I started watching this again, and I guess I'll see the season out, but I'm done after that. 

5 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

4 hours ago, renatae said:

I have an autoimmune disease and I am intolerant of high temperatures as well. I'm weak when I get out of the shower if it's too hot. I'm just about nonfunctional in very high  temperatures.

People with MS have a great deal of trouble in elevated temperatures as their demyelinated nerves don't conduct electrical impulses as well. People with lung issues are also compromised during hot, humid weather, just for two examples.

Many parts of the world do not have widespread AC available to them, and also, widespread AC is part of why the world is heating up. Hot weather can be dangerous, thus the warnings that go out every heat wave to reduce outdoor activity, drink plenty of fluids, and cities open cooling centers. It's a Catch 22. It's hot so we want AC, AC is making us hotter.  

I find I tolerate heat and humidity a bit better as I've gotten older (surprised me) but I know that being at an even temp is something most Americans are very used to. That's why my initial statement was that most people don't even want to think about reducing their use of AC. They are very dependent on it. 

• Love 2

Am I the only one who is starting to get tired of the same show every week? The topics may change, but the general outline has gotten soooo predictable.

1-While some light-hearted music softly plays, Max notices a prevalent hot button cultural issue (Hatred towards minorities, Native American injustices, climate change)

2-Max makes huge changes to the hospital to combat said issues that are generally over the top and make him look stupid.

3-Max realizes that his changes, while well meaning, went too far and has a moment of self-reflection that is sparked by a mundane conversation with a staff member or patient's family.

4-Max makes more reasonable changes.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I've loved the show since the beginning, but it's just starting to feel a bit repetitive.

• Love 11
On 5/12/2021 at 3:52 AM, auchic said:

Has Max or his MIL not heard of DIY air conditioners? Two fans and a big bowl of ice go a long way. 

and good luck surviving in an apartment in a city in summer without an A/C.  I don't even like my second floor in the suburbs.  Ridiculous storyline.  Ugh. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Ditto.

• Love 2

I suppose it’s all relative.  I grew up in the south with no AC until I was 7 years old.  Even then, there was no AC in our school! No fans either.  I never thought much about it being overly hot....just go sit outside in the shade....I am glad I have it now.  

I will say that the show has made me think a little more about things like water bottles, energy usage, resources, global warming, etc.  I need to do my research to educate myself on issues.  I can do my part.  I’m not alone in this.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I just had a thought.  What if Max’s increasingly manic flailing and ridiculous solutions to huge issues is actually a season long story arc about his psychological response to all the traumas he’s faced and been unable to control and/or solve he’s had cancer, his wife has died, he’s been a medical worker during covid, wasn’t there some hostage situation at the hospital, etc.  and now he’s spiraling out of control and eventually someone is going to realize that this isn’t typical Max Goodwin savior syndrome but that he needs help.  You’d think that Iggy would be the one to notice, but he’s really shitty at his job, so maybe someone else.

• Like 2
  • Useful 6
  • Love 10

I know the expired insulin thing was to get Dr. Reynolds to be sympathetic with the surgeon who left his son in the car, but it seems so out of character for him. And why is his mother now so incompetent that she she doesn’t understand the importance of controlling her diet? Apparently she eats whatever her new boyfriend gives her. It too is out of character for the character as we first saw her.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I suppose it’s all relative.  I grew up in the south with no AC until I was 7 years old.  Even then, there was no AC in our school! No fans either.  I never thought much about it being overly hot....just go sit outside in the shade....I am glad I have it now.  

I will say that the show has made me think a little more about things like water bottles, energy usage, resources, global warming, etc.  I need to do my research to educate myself on issues.  I can do my part.  I’m not alone in this.  

yes, all those water bottles bother me.

• Love 2

Max’s crusade of the week continues to be annoying as hell. But what I hated even more was the MIL’s snotty, judgmental comment about the AC. It’s not your apartment or your overheated kid, lady, so STFU already. Why do I have the feeling she’s going to be all “grandparents’ rights” one of these days?

• Love 13
3 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I just had a thought.  What if Max’s increasingly manic flailing and ridiculous solutions to huge issues is actually a season long story arc about his psychological response to all the traumas he’s faced and been unable to control and/or solve he’s had cancer, his wife has died, he’s been a medical worker during covid, wasn’t there some hostage situation at the hospital, etc.  and now he’s spiraling out of control and eventually someone is going to realize that this isn’t typical Max Goodwin savior syndrome but that he needs help.  You’d think that Iggy would be the one to notice, but he’s really shitty at his job, so maybe someone else.

Right!  That was my initial response.  He’s not stable.....what’s going on? Hmmmmm what kind of cancer did he have before?

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I know the expired insulin thing was to get Dr. Reynolds to be sympathetic with the surgeon who left his son in the car, but it seems so out of character for him. And why is his mother now so incompetent that she she doesn’t understand the importance of controlling her diet? Apparently she eats whatever her new boyfriend gives her. It too is out of character for the character as we first saw her.

Yeah, did they say it was expired insulin or expired insulin and expired milk?  The doctor should know that insulin has a long shelf life. Usually, 2 yrs on fast acting. Long acting at least a year. Even after the date expires it works fine.  If he’s not an Endocrinologist, he might not realize this.  Expired milk is different. That’s more of a problem.  The show needs a better resource for their diabetes information.  

• Love 8