Type keyword(s) to search

Kody Brown: Part-Time Father

• Start Topic

44 minutes ago, Absolom said:

In general it seems the older and more independent the adult kids have gotten, the less they have to do with Kody.  In some respect that's normal, but I think it's more extreme in Kody's case.  They know that they will get very little in return for their investment.  

Yes. Just because you kept your kids fed, clothed and housed during their minority (and didn’t abuse them etc) doesn’t mean they will have emotional room for you in their lives as adults. Most people who are emotionally close to their parents and other caregivers as adults it’s because the adult put EMOTIONAL work into the person first. (Along with luck of the draw with having compatible personalities etc) Kody is still having trouble adjusting to the notion that you don’t get to be “adored” by other adults just because they share DNA with you- having a working reproductive system doesn’t guarantee you’ll be loved. I don’t think Kody cares much if his adult children love him, I think he cares if they defer to him (when he sees fit to pay attention). 

• Like 3
  • Love 14

Of course I think Kody is an asshat, but with 18 kids, I wouldn’t expect him to have stellar relationships with all or even most of them.

I know why Kody had so many kids but honestly, I don't understand how anyone has so many kids that they don't anticipate being able to have good, strong relationships with them. If he just needs to create as many offspring as possible without any obligation to actually father them, why not just donate to a sperm bank? Then again, sperm banks have standards, so...

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 11
On 12/7/2022 at 5:24 AM, RazzleberryPie said:

He’s one of those people always flirting around frantic like he has so much to do, but actually doesn’t really do anything of value or worth. Looks busy, accomplishes nothing useful. 

Kody in a nutshell.

He used to do that In Vegas—flit frantically from house to house slamming the doors to announce his presence, as if he was so overwhelmed with all his responsibilities that he just could not slow down to catch his breath.

Sure, Jan.

Maybe if he had been making a sincere effort to care equally for four wives and eighteen children. Which he was not.

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
  • Love 10

Gabe cried because he loves Kody. Christine stayed for so long because she loved Kody. Janelle loves Kody and Meri and Robyn love Kody. I'm guessing most of his kids love him.

We have no connection to Kody. We don't share his genes, he's not our dad and we have never been married to him. We have no reason to like him and thanks to Kody and the TLC producers, we have every reason to hate him.

Families are complicated. Gabe and Garrison are hurt and pissed. Logan seems to have had Kody's number for a long time and I'm guessing he only tolerates Kody. Truely doesn't know her dad, and doesn't seem to care too much - maybe because it was the norm for a polyg dad not to be around all the time. Maddie appears to love Kody as does Mykelti, etc.

I'm thinking the some of the kids who aren't close to Kody have different reasons for not being close to him. That applies to the kids who are close to him. I'm also going to guess their feelings are fluid. Out of the eleventy million Brown kids maybe one or two will completely write him off, maybe one or two will stand by him unconditionally and the rest will fall in the middle.

TL;DR Kody sucked and sucks as a dad, but he's their dad and families are complicated.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 8
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, altopower said:

Does Kody really believe all the crap he's spewing about Christine and Janelle? Or did he ramp it all up to make them leave HIM so they would look like the evil malcontents and he would still be in good standing with the church they no longer attend?

This and I think the producers wanted some real ratings kickers.  Sometimes I feel like Kody walks off camera after his first rant with Christine, because he was afraid of laughing on camera, which they could have edited out.  It looks like it has been rehearsed.

Agree, I believe he wants the public to think they are leaving him, when in fact he has left all of his three original wives years ago.

Edited by Pickleinthemiddle
Added
  • Like 3
  • Applause 5
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I think some have disassociated themselves for self preservation - as in Garrison and Gabe.  Gabe in particular seems like a very quiet and sensitive person and dealing with Kody’s personality is   probably overly stressful for him.  

Garrison is  by far more quiet than Gabe, though I agree Gabe is the most emotional of the boys.He has always voiced his anger and grief. The other boys never did so.  But I totally agree on them disassociating themselves from him.

I also fully agree on families being complicated. You’re bound by DNA and often a feeling of owing your parents for raising you. Parents often feel they can claim their kids’ allegiance because of this. In reality, it doesn’t work that way. Yes, it’s family but respect and unconditional love is earned, not simply given just because…

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, LilyD said:

Garrison is  by far more quiet than Gabe, though I agree Gabe is the most emotional of the boys.He has always voiced his anger and grief. The other boys never did so.  But I totally agree on them disassociating themselves from him.

I also fully agree on families being complicated. You’re bound by DNA and often a feeling of owing your parents for raising you. Parents often feel they can claim their kids’ allegiance because of this. In reality, it doesn’t work that way. Yes, it’s family but respect and unconditional love is earned, not simply given just because…

Garrison talked back to Kody a couple of times that I remember. He spouted off about Russian troops shooting their commander, he tried to correct Sol when he punched Gwen, and stood up for himself when K &J told him to back off. 

• Like 9

Yup, Garrison did speak up every now and then. Never said he was silent, but compared to Gabe he seems to be the more introvert, quieter person. Gabe is more emotional and outspoken of his feelings. (And right so)

So glad some of the kids do actually counter their dad. Not that I generally approve of this behaviour but Kotex’s behaviour asks for it. He fully deserves to be told off. 

• Like 5
  • Love 5

Does anyone else watch the rehearsal? Whenever Kody starts blaming all of his problems on Covid, I always think of this scene. Yup its all down to covid not down to you being a bad parent for years and refusing to talk to your children unless they bend the knee

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

COVID was and is difficult, but it didn't destroy relationships that didn't already have problems.  Those of us with strong family relationships found ways to work through and around COVID issues.  We didn't make things an all my way or all your way situation.  In other words we didn't play games with our relationships.  Kody's relationships were already cracked and he tipped them over into fractured by being a complete narcissistic jerk.  

This exactly. I had to work. My family knew this. My sister worked remotely. I had to deal with my coworkers and wasn't around many people. Luckily my work we all have offices. But our family still got together for holidays and birthdays.

Kidney was just being a prick

• Like 2
  • Applause 8
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, LilyD said:

So glad some of the kids do actually counter their dad. Not that I generally approve of this behaviour but Kotex’s behaviour asks for it. He fully deserves to be told off. 

Yeah I'm on the kids side here even though I think Garrison lying about covid precautions was really awful. I don't think Janelle was a covid denier but it seemed like Garrison may have been. Gabe seemed more typical college age. Actual concern but... young and invincible lens.

As I'm currently dealing with my own boys at the moment - close to their ages - I really don't appreciate disrespectful and cocky attitudes.  It's very difficult to know when and where to draw boundaries and the frustration with adult children is real.  But Kody fumbled on every single level. It seems like he didn't even try to communicate. He didn't even try to hear their concerns.

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Like 9
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, dariafan said:

Has not 1 of his wives said to him , where would the entire family fit if they all came together ???

No of course not. Robyn would never question Kidney or his Kidneyship in front of the others. Meri would never pipe up because she might get volunteered to have people stay at her house, heaven forbid that she had 'her family' there at her place. Jenelle already solved the problem because she's been doing that shit for 30 plus years so she's use to getting things arranged because Kidney can't be bothered to act like a parent. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 8
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Twopper said:

Where did Kody get the expression about circling the donkey?  At least I found a dictionary entry for “beer and skittles.”

Probably the same place he got the one about the bird eating the mouse. 

• LOL 12

People on reddit have questioned if Kody could be taking drugs.

He's always been a little manic, but not as hostile and aggressive as he's been in the last few years.

People have wondered if he's on steroids or testosterone or something.

He's acting so nuts, that I wouldn't be surprised if he is taking something.

• Like 3
  • Useful 10
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Teri313 said:

Probably the same place he got the one about the bird eating the mouse. 

Don't forget the PINK elephant in the room!

Don't pink elephants only show themselves to drunk-on-their-asses people?

2 hours ago, Libby said:

He's always been a little manic, but not as hostile and aggressive as he's been in the last few years.

I wonder about that, too.  Has he been this disturbed all along, and just kept it hidden?  Roid rage is a rill thing.

• Like 13
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, Twopper said:

When was that?  I may have dozed off…

It was one of the group sessions when he was berating Christine. He was trying to get Meri to join in and help him because he noticed that she had that really mean look on her face, so he says to her, "you look like the bird that ate the mouse." (I think he was trying to say the cat that ate the canary.)

• Like 2
  • LOL 11

I was thinking about how Kody feels about 3 divorces (assuming that his relationship with Janelle has gone there) in 8 years.

Has it been 3 knives to the kidneys? Or does Kody now consider it a trifecta with the payoff of the home wrecker and dog kicker, Robyn?

Is Kody still estranged from a majority of his biological kids? Or does he consider it liberated from the ungrateful?

Now that he is hunkering down with one, will he finally get rid of the ringlets and shave his head? 

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • LOL 11

Has it been 3 knives to the kidneys? Or does Kody now consider it a trifecta with the payoff of the home wrecker and dog kicker, Robyn?

Is it three knives in a single kidney or two knives one and one in another?

• LOL 11
21 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Is it three knives in a single kidney or two knives one and one in another?

A knife in each kidney, and the last in his ass pocket, where his wallet is 

Edited by Art Of Noiz
Typo
  • Like 1
  • LOL 13
On 12/10/2022 at 7:33 AM, GeeGolly said:

TL;DR Kody sucked and sucks as a dad, but he's their dad and families are complicated.

I don't know how actually complicated Kody's relationship are.  

In every single relationship he has, he puts himself above and before the other person's needs/desires/goals, etc.  100% of the time, his relationships are unfairly balanced to his favor.

Some of his kids seem to just roll their eyes and accept him for his limited contributions.

Some kids seem to try to push back on him and point out how unfair he is in his interactions.

Some either through frustration or quiet reservation just simply disengage.

But NONE have an emotionally healthy relationship with him.

That doesn't seem very complicated.  Kody is a simple man.  There seems nothing deep or complicated about him.  But he is exhausting.  Dear LORD is he exhausting.

• Like 19
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
On 12/16/2022 at 4:59 PM, Libby said:

Wow, I hadn't thought about that, but they could very well be onto something! In my previous job I had several bodybuilder colleagues. They all used hormones/steroids and all went through a significant change in behaviour when using that stuff! Most notably aggression and explosive reactions, mood swings and some expressed manic behaviour. It does sound a bit like Kody come to think of it. (And it can cause hair loss!)

We know Kody was into training and weightlifting (or so he wanted us to believe) and he is stupid enough to want a quick result by using this stuff and  to focus on a few limited areas (shoulders, arms, legs) and ignore others, which could explain that belly that seems to be growing for all the wrong reasons.

• Like 16
4 hours ago, ezzy4 said:

I don't know how actually complicated Kody's relationship are.  

In every single relationship he has, he puts himself above and before the other person's needs/desires/goals, etc.  100% of the time, his relationships are unfairly balanced to his favor.

Some of his kids seem to just roll their eyes and accept him for his limited contributions.

Some kids seem to try to push back on him and point out how unfair he is in his interactions.

Some either through frustration or quiet reservation just simply disengage.

But NONE have an emotionally healthy relationship with him.

That doesn't seem very complicated.  Kody is a simple man.  There seems nothing deep or complicated about him.  But he is exhausting.  Dear LORD is he exhausting.

I so agree none of his relationships with his kids are ideal, but every relationship in that family is complicated just by its size, but add to that all the 'extra' parents and it becomes even more complicated.

I see the dynamics very similar to that of some divorced families (even prior to any separations). These kids have one mom, 3 step-moms and one dad. A lot of times kids are used as pawns by the parents and more to this point, parents are used as targets by the kids. Every relationship is influenced by so many feelings and so many family members they can change in a hot minute.

There is no way, no how, those kids didn't hear of, or get pulled into, the which parent is mad at which parent bullshit, which certainly brings up feelings of loyalty, jealousy and confusion. And many groups of kids were raised in very different atmospheres. The first group likely has fixed memories of Lehi, the next group sees the time in Vegas as their childhoods and then there's Truly, Sol and Ari who really only know life as it is now. To me that makes this family extra complicated and the kids' relationships with their dad complicated as well.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 15
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I think we’re forgetting something very simple when it comes to Kody:He is the product of (part of) his upbringing and his own delusional lifestyle.

Any man that calls the shots on 4 wives with an ever growing brood of kids and is famous (albeit D-list), will develop some god-like traits. Especially if the 4 wives shape their lives around his needs and wishes, no matter how stupid or delusional these are. And he could simply drag all those kids along.  In his mind, he was this God-like creature with not 1 wife with 2 kids, but no less than 4 that kept pushing out babies to keep him happy. I can see where this inflated ego comes from. He was King of his Kingdom.

His erratic behaviour has dramatically increased over the past few years. And it coincidentally increased with his Kingdom falling apart (kids moving away, kids and wives questioning his motives and ideas,  wives deserting him) He’s losing control and his God-like status and he cannot control it anymore.

• Like 10
  • Applause 8
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

He was right in mid-explosion in "Which Wife is Next" and Janelle says "you and I see it very differently, Kody" and then he says "You had flu-like symptoms and I had .... " and Janelle interupts him to say the situation with the boys isn't her fault. Then Kody starts speaking again, saying "I had the wor ...." and Janelle cuts him off again.  

I was so happy that Janelle interrupted him mid-rant. She knew what he was going to say and she cut him off at the pass. It was great.

• Like 12
  • Applause 5
  • Love 4

I watched a few episodes from the first two seasons.  Kody's ego was still larger than most but not like the giant ego it appears to be now. He is definitely a Star in his own mind.   He showed affection to the three OG's and even touched their knees, shoulders etc.   Saw all of them genuinely smiling and "without walls".    The exception, of course, was DogKicker Sobbyn who had the start of her permanent frown face when the conversation was not all about her.  Fascinating to look back.    

• Like 13
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, LilyD said:

I think we’re forgetting something very simple when it comes to Kody:He is the product of (part of) his upbringing and his own delusional lifestyle.

Any man that calls the shots on 4 wives with an ever growing brood of kids and is famous (albeit D-list), will develop some god-like traits. Especially if the 4 wives shape their lives around his needs and wishes, no matter how stupid or delusional these are. And he could simply drag all those kids along.  In his mind, he was this God-like creature with not 1 wife with 2 kids, but no less than 4 that kept pushing out babies to keep him happy. I can see where this inflated ego comes from. He was King of his Kingdom.

His erratic behaviour has dramatically increased over the past few years. And it coincidentally increased with his Kingdom falling apart (kids moving away, kids and wives questioning his motives and ideas,  wives deserting him) He’s losing control and his God-like status and he cannot control it anymore.

I think you make a great point. We are, to a degree, products of our environments. We see it all the time with folks in positions of power, celebrities and athletes, etc. If they don't have a few friends and family to knock them down a few pegs to help keep them humble they start to believe the hype.

Right now, I think Christine is on the verge of crossing that line. However I think she is struggling enough behind the scenes to keep her from getting too full of herself.

• Like 15

and is famous (albeit D-list)

I've been wondering about this (slow news week). What sort of d-list celebrity treatment do we think Kody gets? Do people approach him when he's out in public and ask to take selfies? Does he get fan mail? I don't really see him having to run from the paps are getting taken seriously asking for a table at Nobu. Does his minor celebrity status bring him anything at all?

• LOL 9
7 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I've been wondering about this (slow news week). What sort of d-list celebrity treatment do we think Kody gets? Do people approach him when he's out in public and ask to take selfies? Does he get fan mail? I don't really see him having to run from the paps are getting taken seriously asking for a table at Nobu. Does his minor celebrity status bring him anything at all?

From my experience it doesn't take much success, power and adulation to nudge someone onto their high horse. I've seen friends and colleagues change after promotions, I've met more than one local news anchor who think they're all that and I know of one family who came into money and one of their kids turned into an insufferable snob.

Like @LilyD mentioned having four women fight for your attention and a dozen plus kids to prove your superior fertility is enough for some men. Add to that appearing on TV and having your name and image all over the internet, it can tip someone like Kody very easily.

Its not so much about actual perks, it more about self-perception.

• Like 13
10 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Guaranteed there are women begging him to marry them. At least in the early seasons. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

Okay. I am very saddened by what has happened to the Brown family. I loved their show from the very beginning. And I was tracking with Kody and some of his feelings...but that ended when he said he didn't care about love, that respect was most important to him. First of all buddy you don't just GET respect because you're a man and a husband. You EARN it! If you want respect you GIVE it. Questioning a person's beliefs is not tantamount to disrespect. It's called individuality. You knew what you were getting into with 4 very strong and independent women, that have their own minds.

Yes. Love requires respect. But it's not the most important component in my eyes... ACCEPTANCE is.

• Like 12

I'm watching S6 E2: Four Lives of Kody's Wives. Kody is lying on Christine's bed wiggling his feet. They look to be tiny, wide feet. I actually thought that they were Janelle's feet.

I wonder if Kody's tiny feet have something to do with his insecurities...

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 17

Midwestern Lady quoted  (sorry still learning how to quote things)   "Kody's ego was still larger than most but not like the giant ego it appears to be now. He is definitely a Star in his own mind.   He showed affection to the three OG's and even touched their knees, shoulders etc.   Saw all of them genuinely smiling and "without walls".... "

Yes it's amazing how different they all were in the first seasons.    I could actually see a cohesive sort of family.    A lot more laughter and fun.   Maybe it's because there was a lot of little kids around and they were focusing more on them?   Idk,  but my how things change.  Kinda like empty nest when the kids leave....that's when my marriage failed,  once the kids were gone the dynamic changes.   Kodouche is a shell of his old self.    Plus his straight hair back then looked much better too ....or maybe it's because he wasn't balding yet 😊

Edited by suev3333
  • Like 5
On 11/16/2022 at 4:05 PM, LilyD said:

image.png.4a577023a186b03f7a952b3557f64a82.png

OH boy! This picture posted by @islandgal140 in the episode thread really left me howling with laughter! His hair is even a bigger mess than I thought. It looks ridiculous, though I doubt he sees it that way. 

Kody, you look like a sorry, pathetic parody of the Cowardly Lion!  Just shave it off!

Watching New Year's Rockin' Eve, there was a singer and another woman on there that had their hair slicked back except for 2 big chunks in the top/front. They hung down like deflated horns, just like Cody's hair.  Maybe he's just trying to wear his hair in that trendy style?

• LOL 8
On 11/16/2022 at 5:05 PM, LilyD said:

image.png.4a577023a186b03f7a952b3557f64a82.png

OH boy! This picture posted by @islandgal140 in the episode thread really left me howling with laughter! His hair is even a bigger mess than I thought. It looks ridiculous, though I doubt he sees it that way. 

Kody, you look like a sorry, pathetic parody of the Cowardly Lion!  Just shave it off!

I’m so confused by this picture. It looks like a doll whose row of hair didn’t get sewn in.  It’s like a perfect strip missing.  Is this a real picture?

• Like 3
  • LOL 9
18 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

I’m so confused by this picture. It looks like a doll whose row of hair didn’t get sewn in.  It’s like a perfect strip missing.  Is this a real picture?

The picture was originally posted in an episode thread. Someone took a screen capture from the episode. He had a hair transplant at some point that he didn't take care of or was done badly. I noticed on the recent tell all during clips from the past, he had a huge forehead. But he also had this weird looking hair config for quite a while, too.

• Like 6