Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E14: Endorphins and a Toasty Tushy

jewel21

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

We've been wanting a story line for Wendy. Who knew she could do physical comedy so well?

It's funny her biggest story to date was the one where she's a supporting friend.  She was great.  And it was a good lesson for Jill. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 12

Can’t say it was my favorite episode. Adam had to tell Bonnie she was jealous, because Bonnie can’t recognize it? And then Bonnie had to tell Tammy. It’s not about you, Bonnie, that’s what you have a therapist, a husband, and a sponsor for. Let Tammy keep her happiness. I don’t like physical comedy so Wendy’s dancing irritated me. Jill’s snark at her was ugly not clever. Andy taking responsibility — was that supposed to open the door for them getting back together? He wanted Jill to back off but now he thinks he wants marriage and kids? I hope not. That ship has sailed for me.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kiddvideo said:

Andy taking responsibility — was that supposed to open the door for them getting back together? He wanted Jill to back off but now he thinks he wants marriage and kids? I hope not. That ship has sailed for me.

Yeah, I really hope that scene stands on its own - her realizing their relationship didn't fail, it wasn't a waste of time, it's a positive in her life (beautiful memories and lessons learned that will help her in the future) - rather than it being the lead-in to pairing her back up with him because the show is ending.

There's no way both Bonnie and Tammy needed Google to tell them "Women Who Like Wood" was not a good business name, but their reactions were funny, and fundamentally I like them going into this business together.  I love seeing a handy woman on TV, and for Tammy to not just make a living at it but have ownership in it will be great.  Sure, Bonnie needs to know a hell of a lot more than negotiation tricks, but they're about to have a lawyer in the family and Adam has had to learn a lot about licensing and other practicalities, so in sitcom world I dig this idea - a nice happy ending for the two of them.

• Love 10

In the first 5 minutes the episode was hitting sitcom cliches I have seen so many times. So I started out annoyed.  But, I ended up being really pleasantly surprised because they twisted those cliches around and really moved the plot forward, with Jill, Bonnie, and Tammy.

The Cliches I thought of in the first 5 minutes:

The friend who can't do dance class and embarrasses everyone else:  "Friends", "Fresh Prince", maybe SATC as well?  (Also reminded me of Richie not being able to do karate on "New Christine", Penny not being able to do Krav Maga on "Happy Endings", Phoebe running oddly on "Friends" and embarrassing Rachel.)

The car negotiation scene:  "Fresh off the Boat", "Happy Endings"

The friend who is jealous of the other friend who has a lot of money and can't figure out why she has it:  "King of Queens"

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I noticed Baxter wasn't at the car dealership. When they went to buy the truck, I expected him to be the salesperson.

That would’ve been nice! Close the loop on Roscoe and Candace plus probably Violet since she always liked Baxter and they may be in touch. Bob ❤️ Abishola is on CBS as well. They couldn’t spare Matt Jones for a couple hours?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I noticed Baxter wasn't at the car dealership. When they went to buy the truck, I expected him to be the salesperson.

4 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

That would’ve been nice! Close the loop on Roscoe and Candace plus probably Violet since she always liked Baxter and they may be in touch. Bob ❤️ Abishola is on CBS as well. They couldn’t spare Matt Jones for a couple hours?

I was hoping he would show up!  Bob ❤️ Abishola is another of Chuck Lorre's shows , so I'm guessing something could have been worked out, but maybe scheduling wouldn't work.  I always liked that character, Baxter. 

I like physical comedy when done well.  Bonnie and Tammy do a lot of physical comedy, so it was nice to see Jill and Wendy engage in it a bit. I thought the potting scene was great. And nice to see that Wendy is upbeat, really.  A nice philosophy on life. 

I'm really going to miss this show. 

• Love 9

Great to see Andy.  I love Will Sasso!

Yes, it's a shame because I suspect the only reason Jill and Andy broke up was because Sasso had a commitment to another show. Otherwise it would have been nice to see them end up together; I think he was really good for her.

So if Tammy was underbidding jobs just to get work and establish a reputation, how on earth did she have that much cash saved up to buy that truck? Even if it was used (which was not the implication) that was an expensive truck. We're talking 30-40K minimum.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought Baxter's dealership was for Kia, and I've never heard of a Kia truck before, so it didn't surprise me that Baxter wasn't there. 

Overall, I liked the episode. I liked the conversation between Tammy and Bonnie where they each valued what the other had. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I dimly remember another episode with Beth Hall doing some great physical comedy. I loved her dance routine but what I loved even more was the lesson she gave to Jill afterwards.

I was pleasantly surprised that Tammy and Bonnie working together did not end in a stupid fight (another sitcom cliche averted). And I'm kinda sad they would not stick with TamBon, he!

There were a lot of open-air shots in this episode (I'm sure there's a better term that eludes me right now). It was unusual to see the ladies in 'natural' lighting but I liked it. 

Jill showing up at Andy's was a lovely scene showing her character growth. It was not just what she said but also that she did not bother to go home and gussy up beforehand.

• Love 7

I was frankly surprised that Bonnie's talk with the people Tammy was working for led to them paying more, rather than just pissing them off. I really don't see Bonnie as being tactful enough to negotiate without alienating clients.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I was frankly surprised that Bonnie's talk with the people Tammy was working for led to them paying more, rather than just pissing them off. I really don't see Bonnie as being tactful enough to negotiate without alienating clients.

Maybe doing a great job and finishing early earned her a few bonus bucks.

• Love 1

I was pleasantly surprised that Tammy and Bonnie working together did not end in a stupid fight (another sitcom cliche averted).

There's still next week. Give it time.

I really don't see Bonnie as being tactful enough to negotiate without alienating clients.

No, neither do I. It's one thing to haggle over the price of a car. She had nothing to lose then. It's another to renegotiate payment for a job that's near completion. That price had already been agreed to. Bonnie may be a tough haggler but that doesn't mean she'll be a skillful negotiator. She's anything but tactful.

• Love 3

Baxter sold Korean cars. We know Tammy was buying an American made truck because Jill commented something to the effect that she had never smelled one before.

This one did feel like someone packaged up every sitcom trope of the last 20 years and threw them all into a single episode. Wendy dancing badly has been done and done some more, but I did still like her point that it doesn't matter, that she considered Jill smaller and sadder for thinking it did and letting dictate her choices. While I'm not particularly anxious to see Jill in a slapped together happy ending just because the show is wrapping up, I liked that she was able to go to Andy just as she was. I'd call it character growth if the show could manage to be consistent with it and not probably have her back to stalking or declaring her love for fire again next week.

Sure, Bonnie's a master negotiator now. Sure, why not. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Jill showing up at Andy's was a lovely scene showing her character growth. It was not just what she said but also that she did not bother to go home and gussy up beforehand.

There was no need, anyway - that was probably the most gorgeous I've seen her look on this show.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

There's still next week. Give it time.

No, neither do I. It's one thing to haggle over the price of a car. She had nothing to lose then. It's another to renegotiate payment for a job that's near completion. That price had already been agreed to. Bonnie may be a tough haggler but that doesn't mean she'll be a skillful negotiator. She's anything but tactful.

As a homeowner, who has to watch her $$,  I would never have agreed to a higher price than the one already on paper.

• Love 4
On 4/15/2021 at 10:28 PM, Irlandesa said:

It's funny her biggest story to date was the one where she's a supporting friend.  She was great

Because being the one who is constantly ignored gives her time to listen and observe to everyone's woes

I'm officially sick of the 'Bonnie has meltdown and doesn't know why until she whines to her husband and friends about it making her see the err of her ways to which she redeems herself at the end by apologizing'.  After so many years in recover she SHOULD be farther along in her progress than Tammy. 

I didn't buy the Jill/Andy relationship either, but I'm glad she got some closure.  I also thought the way he kept looking behind him while standing in the doorway made me think he had 'company'

18 hours ago, SilverLake0315 said:
20 hours ago, MissLucas said:

And I'm kinda sad they would not stick with TamBon, he!

Right? People would remember it! 

Especially with a kitchy tagline......."call us for a quote any time.......of the month"

On 4/16/2021 at 12:40 AM, Bastet said:

There's no way both Bonnie and Tammy needed Google to tell them "Women Who Like Wood

Seriously!  A 12 year old would've gotten that

On 4/15/2021 at 9:16 PM, Grizzly said:

We've been wanting a story line for Wendy. Who knew she could do physical comedy so well?

I just wish it wasn't a story-line that had to portray her as some uncoordinated goofball - even though she passed it off as 'having fun'.  And why did they have to dress her with all those layers of workout clothes?  The actress doesn't appear to be in the kind of shape where she has to hide under all those clothes. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ctlady said:

I just wish it wasn't a story-line that had to portray her as some uncoordinated goofball - even though she passed it off as 'having fun'.  And why did they have to dress her with all those layers of workout clothes?  The actress doesn't appear to be in the kind of shape where she has to hide under all those clothes. 

To me it looked like they were going for a Flashdance look.

• Love 2

Phoebe and Monica on "Friends" also bought a van and were going to do a catering business but the idea blew up immediately when Monica got hired for a "real" gig.

21 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I was pleasantly surprised that Tammy and Bonnie working together did not end in a stupid fight (another sitcom cliche averted). And I'm kinda sad they would not stick with TamBon, he!

True.

• Love 1

I also thought the way he kept looking behind him while standing in the doorway made me think he had 'company'

Yeah, that was a weird acting choice since there was no reveal at the end.

• Love 8

I am still on Team Andy and hope Jill and Andy will find their way back together before the show ends. I kinda expected a woman's voice to call out to Andy from inside his apartment in order to complete his and Jill's breakup. Since that did not happen, I have hope. On the subject of Bonnie working with Tammy, doesn't Bonnie have a full-time job as the apartment manager? I know they've played fast and loose with her work hours over the years, but Tammy works full-time during the day on her contracting business and part-time at the bar at night.  Bonnie's part of the business may not be full-time, but will likely take place during business hours. Will be interesting to see how that works out.

• Love 6

To be fair, Tammy did work 2 jobs.  Bonnie barely does one (managing the apartment building). Of course Tammy would be pulling in major dough (contractors are nothing to sneeze at) and tips must be very good at Adam's bar especially during games (remember Christy pulling in some decent money during some playoff games).

Bonnie could have done some waitressing at the bar herself but didn't. 

I wasn't impressed with the Jill and Andy part. I thought Andy was in the past. 

I hope Marjorie and Wendy find love. Jill has a child. Bonnie is pretty much settled and we hear that Christy has a great job as a lawyer in a law firm and has a good relationship with her kids.

• Love 2
On 4/15/2021 at 11:36 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

:The friend who can't do dance class and embarrasses everyone else:  "Friends", "Fresh Prince", maybe SATC as well? 

You forgot Elaine on Seinfeld.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

On the subject of Bonnie working with Tammy, doesn't Bonnie have a full-time job as the apartment manager? I know they've played fast and loose with her work hours over the years, but Tammy works full-time during the day on her contracting business and part-time at the bar at night.  Bonnie's part of the business may not be full-time, but will likely take place during business hours. Will be interesting to see how that works out.

Make take on it is: Tammy and Bonnie run a business that becomes successful enough that Bonnie can quit being the building manager in exchange for a free apartment. Then she and Adam can move into someplace that is more accessible for him. 

• Love 6
On 4/17/2021 at 11:10 AM, ctlady said:
On 4/16/2021 at 12:40 AM, Bastet said:

There's no way both Bonnie and Tammy needed Google to tell them "Women Who Like Wood

Seriously!  A 12 year old would've gotten that

When one of my kids was in middle school, they assigned students to a "core" group of four teachers (math/science/English/social studies, I think).  Two of her teachers were a Mr. Woody and a Mr. Bone.  It took me way too long to realize why the core teacher groups were redistributed in future years.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

When one of my kids was in middle school, they assigned students to a "core" group of four teachers (math/science/English/social studies, I think).  Two of her teachers were a Mr. Woody and a Mr. Bone.  It took me way too long to realize why the core teacher groups were redistributed in future years.

In my college dorm there were two freshman girls with the last names "Hymen" and "Clitty." At least whoever assigned the rooms was generous enough not to make them roommates.

• LOL 3

To be fair, Tammy did work 2 jobs.  Bonnie barely does one (managing the apartment building). Of course Tammy would be pulling in major dough (contractors are nothing to sneeze at)

Except that Tammy said she was lowballing her estimates to attract clients. Before Bonnie renegotiated for her she wasn't even going to make a profit on that job! Given how recently she got out of jail and started doing contract work there's no way on earth she could have saved up that much cash.

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Except that Tammy said she was lowballing her estimates to attract clients. Before Bonnie renegotiated for her she wasn't even going to make a profit on that job! Given how recently she got out of jail and started doing contract work there's no way on earth she could have saved up that much cash.

Did they specify that it was a new truck? Could she have been buying a dealer trade in with a few miles on it?

On 4/17/2021 at 5:58 PM, greekmom said:

To be fair, Tammy did work 2 jobs.  Bonnie barely does one (managing the apartment building). Of course Tammy would be pulling in major dough (contractors are nothing to sneeze at) and tips must be very good at Adam's bar especially during games (remember Christy pulling in some decent money during some playoff games).

Bonnie could have done some waitressing at the bar herself but didn't. 

I wasn't impressed with the Jill and Andy part. I thought Andy was in the past. 

I hope Marjorie and Wendy find love. Jill has a child. Bonnie is pretty much settled and we hear that Christy has a great job as a lawyer in a law firm and has a good relationship with her kids.

What child does Jill have? Her foster daughter is back with her mother.

• Love 1
Just now, Wanda said:

What child does Jill have? Her foster daughter is back with her mother.

Jill doesn't have a child. I am hoping she either a) get's pregnant or b) is approved to adopt a baby.

Hence, I hope Jill has a child.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, greekmom said:

Jill doesn't have a child. I am hoping she either a) get's pregnant or b) is approved to adopt a baby.

Hence, I hope Jill has a child.

Oh haha, I read that the same way as @wanda did.  I was thinking, what storyline did I miss?

• Love 1
20 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Two of her teachers were a Mr. Woody and a Mr. Bone.  It took me way too long to realize why the core teacher groups were redistributed in future years.

All I can think of is Mr. Hand from Fast Times At Ridgemont High!

12 hours ago, Tiggertoo said:

Hence, I hope Jill has a child

I'm on the fence about this.  Maybe an older child like Emily, but not a baby.  Jill still doesn't come across as being ready for that kind of responsibility.  To me, she comes across as wanting a child to have someone to love her unconditionally rather than understand the full rigors of motherhood (and she didn't exactly have good role models with Jill and Bonnie)  She even pushed a healthy relationship with Andy out the door because of her pressure on him to have a baby. 

15 hours ago, Wanda said:

To be fair, Tammy did work 2 jobs.  Bonnie barely does one (managing the apartment building). Of course Tammy would be pulling in major dough (contractors are nothing to sneeze at) and tips must be very good at Adam's bar especially during games

And isn't Tammy still living with Marjorie?  I would think she kicks in with expenses, but whatever they are, I'm sure it's less than supporting a rental by herself

On 4/16/2021 at 6:28 PM, iMonrey said:

I really don't see Bonnie as being tactful enough to negotiate without alienating clients.

She doesn't necessarily have to meet with the client one on one.  Tammy can do that, get the particulars, take measurements, list of materials, etc.  Then....Bonnie can put together an 'estimate' based upon that information.  That's what Mr. Ctlady did.  Never - EVER - give an estimate right on site after only a first glance because you never - EVER - know what you're going to encounter along the way that you didn't take into account in a written estimate.  Then....you'll wind up in 'change order' territory to charge the client more - which doesn't always go over well. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

I'm on the fence about this.  Maybe an older child like Emily, but not a baby.  Jill still doesn't come across as being ready for that kind of responsibility.  To me, she comes across as wanting a child to have someone to love her unconditionally rather than understand the full rigors of motherhood (and she didn't exactly have good role models with Jill and Bonnie)  She even pushed a healthy relationship with Andy out the door because of her pressure on him to have a baby. 

She'll hire a nanny (or several) to do the "rigors of motherhood" and use the baby as an accessory the same way the Kartrashians do. 

Edited by eel21788
  • Love 4
On 4/18/2021 at 11:53 PM, Tiggertoo said:

Oh haha, I read that the same way as @wanda did.  I was thinking, what storyline did I miss?

Me, too.

I wouldn't trust Jill with a child, to be honest. But she did get a foster placement, so someone thinks she's capable. 

• Love 1