Type keyword(s) to search

Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

Legends collide in “Godzilla vs. Kong” as these mythic adversaries meet in a spectacular battle for the ages, with the fate of the world hanging in the balance. Kong and his protectors undertake a perilous journey to find his true home, and with them is Jia, a young orphaned girl with whom he has formed a unique and powerful bond. But they unexpectedly find themselves in the path of an enraged Godzilla, cutting a swath of destruction across the globe. The epic clash between the two titans—instigated by unseen forces—is only the beginning of the mystery that lies deep within the core of the Earth.

Edited by BetterButter
2 hours ago, supposebly said:

Are people still interested in this stuff? Bigger and bigger CGI monsters? Really?

I had the same thought, then Kong and Godzilla started throwing down on a ship and I got a ridiculous smile on my face

Oddly enough I'm digging this movie/trailer.

2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Seriously (OK, considering the subject, semi-seriously) unless Kong is impervious to atomic fire, it's gonna be a short bout.

Hmm, I wonder if they'll retcon or give him a reason not to use it? 

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I had the same thought, then Kong and Godzilla started throwing down on a ship and I got a ridiculous smile on my face

Same and I am not a fan of monster movies. 

6 hours ago, supposebly said:

Are people still interested in this stuff? Bigger and bigger CGI monsters? Really?

Yes. It looks ridiculous in an entertaining way.  After the year we've all had, I say we deserve this. And hey, it's before Easter. We can all smuggle buns into the cinema. Ludicrous action movies and HCBs go well together, I've found.

• Love 2

Legendary is 2-1 for me.  My hope is that Kong should have more personality than any of the previous film’s Titans - we’ll just have to see.  It would also be nice if they figured out a better balance between the human characters and the big monster fighting.

I was right. Ridiculous in an entertaining way. Good with HCBs. But ultimately, a bit nonsensical. If you aren't in a safe zone, it's not risking your life over. There will be something twice as big and twice as nonsensical and twice as good with junk food in another six months.

However, I liked seeing the pro wrestling moves both monsters used. I wonder if the director hired anyone specifically, or copied parts from a particular match, or what the deal was. I'll have to look it up.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It's already available? I thought it came out in April? Or was that Mortal Combat?  I know what I'm watching today!

It releases in the U.S. on 3/31 though it's out in other countries.  This is how I feel about it.

200.gif

The deaths of the bad guys was very unsatisfying.

It is a shame that Tokyo wasn't destroyed even a little bit, they could of had Godzilla bunny hop on Tokyo on his way to Hong Kong.

I liked the actions suits the team were wearing, to bad they didn't have one in a kid's size.

The movie should have ended with King Kong standing next to Queen Kong.

The hi-tech of the APEX Corporation was so advanced, it kind of took me out of the "reality" of it all. They built an entire office complex and made it look like a mountain, I wonder if the people of Hong Kong knew it was there? Did they just bore holes in the Earth from one city to another and connect them with Mag-Lev trains?

• Love 2

I’m watching this now and it’s boring as fuck.

Is this the same Kong from Skull Island movie with Tom Hiddleston??

It looks like it was made in the 70s, except the Jeff Bridges one is looking better in comparison!

And yet, I’m still watching.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

The best of the non-Titans was Kaylee Hottle (Jia) who apparently is actually deaf.

She was the only non-Titan who had an actual point to being in the movie.  Though I guess you needed the adults to get her from place to place.  Brian Tyree Henry was funny but everyone else was superfluous, but that's to be expected in these movies.

I really liked it - it gave me what I wanted, monster fights I could actually see.  I'm a Godzilla fan but ended up being as worried as you can be about a giant CGI ape that you know will get up when Kong went down.   I liked that they gave Kong the ability to sign.   Let's just ignore that he was in that bubble on Skull Island, presumably being surveilled a lot, and no one but the little girl knew he was signing.   Also I had to laugh at everyone constantly being exposed to radiation.  I just turned my brain off.

No after credits scene - it was actually included in the movie (Kong swinging through the Hollow Earth at the end).

Not much to deeply analyze for me, LOL.  What you see in the previews is what you get.    I want my big guys to team up again.    I do love giant monsters though!!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, raven said:

She was the only non-Titan who had an actual point to being in the movie.  Though I guess you needed the adults to get her from place to place.  Brian Tyree Henry was funny but everyone else was superfluous, but that's to be expected in these movies.

I really liked it - it gave me what I wanted, monster fights I could actually see.  I'm a Godzilla fan but ended up being as worried as you can be about a giant CGI ape that you know will get up when Kong went down.   I liked that they gave Kong the ability to sign.   Let's just ignore that he was in that bubble on Skull Island, presumably being surveilled a lot, and no one but the little girl knew he was signing.   Also I had to laugh at everyone constantly being exposed to radiation.  I just turned my brain off.

No after credits scene - it was actually included in the movie (Kong swinging through the Hollow Earth at the end).

Not much to deeply analyze for me, LOL.  What you see in the previews is what you get.    I want my big guys to team up again.    I do love giant monsters though!!

Yeah, after the action started, I got into it. Didn't care about the hoomans except for Jia. 

I hated having Kong and Godzilla fighting each other, though. I did like them teaming up and fighting the Mecha (that's how my CC had it) machine monster. At first I was confused--I thought the Godzilla that was tearing through Hong Kong? Tokyo? with the blue fire was a machine and not, you know, Godzilla.

So was this movie set in some future? Because the space ships and and other tech just looked...not present day. I couldn't tell. I mean, the tunnel that took them and Kong to that....land...where Jia said he would probably find his family, that had what looked like Dinosaur-like creatures? Yet, no other apes. Poor Kong. And I was able to finally see that white "beard" he had, to let us know, I guess, the passage of time?

• Love 1

I enjoyed it. But I enjoy almost any giant monster/giant robot punchfest. (Except for the abomination Pacific Rim: Uprising.) The fight choreography CGI was good and that's all I asked for. I especially like Kong's parkour moves through the Hong Kong skyline. 

As for the plot, lots of WTF moments. But my favorite was the fact that Godzilla attacked Pensacola one night didn't stop them from opening the schools the next day.

On 3/31/2021 at 10:53 AM, AnimeMania said:

I liked the actions suits the team were wearing, to bad they didn't have one in a kid's size.

Same.

6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I hated having Kong and Godzilla fighting each other, though.

I thought the same thing when I saw the trailer. But with the early reveal of Apex Cybernetics as the evilcorp, I literally yelled "MECHAGODZILLA!" He's an old foe from the Japanese Toho Studio Godzilla films.

This is going to make a great episode of Honest Trailers.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 3/31/2021 at 7:55 PM, AimingforYoko said:

About 40 years older.

The best of the non-Titans was Kaylee Hottle (Jia) who apparently is actually deaf.

She was great for a little kid. I really liked her.

This movie was awesome, loved it. Although, this was more of a Kong Centric movie, thank Godzilla vs Kong.

• Love 1

I binged the Godzilla and Kong movies then watched this.  The voice track on this movie is horrid!  I had my sound cranked to 60 to hear anything they said and then had to crank it down during action scenes because it was too loud.  Get off my lawn too!

For what it was I liked it.  They are already talking sequel, but I don't want Godzilla and Kong to fight again, I want them to team up and kick the ever living shit outta something/someone.

Like many others I thought the best human was Jia.  I really felt all her scenes.  This is the first acting part for her and I think she'll have a long successful career if she can find parts.

• Love 4

I mean when a super multi-billionaire offers you a ton of money to finance your fanatastical ideas that no one else is really supporting, please note that he is most likely the BAD GUY.

Gozilla has proven himself in the previous films in this movie series that he is usually right and is going to do what is best for this planet. If he is burning up a specific lab belonging to a tech super-billionaire, maybe he is onto something.

Of course having Jia being the only one who Kong will communicate with, totally justifies sending the child into super untested and extremely dangerous mission into the Hollow Earth. 

• LOL 5
(edited)

Going to direct streaming was the best thing possible for this movie, because it meant that I could fast-forward/skip all the boring stuff.  Was anyone really clamoring to see the Russells again?  Why bring them back?  Anytime one of the Madison's Scooby Doo scenes happened, I just zoned out.  Sadly, I wouldn't have cared if they ended up as casualties of Godzilla or Kong.  What a waste of Brian Tyree Henry.

Suprisingly, Jia was a great addition, and one of the only humans that I genuinely felt for.  I think the writers had wanted people to like Madison the way they liked Jia, but Madison and her whole family were annoying as hell, whereas Jia was actually an endearing kid.  Actually Team Kong wasn't bad as a whole.  

I lol'd when the villains met their demise so easily.  And what captivating lines!  "My father gets what he wants."  She could have just put on a red shirt and called it a day.  And of course her dopey father dies while making a classic villain speech.

As someone who enjoyed Skull Island, I absolutely loved what they did with Kong.  Not just the fighting, but him going to the Hollow Earth and seeing his origins.  They made him a real character, and not just some fighting brute.  And while it was clear that Godzilla was the stronger fighter, I loved how Kong never backed down.  The moment he started punching the shit out of Godzilla while they were on the ship, I was invested.

Edited by Amethyst
Godzilla, not Kong
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, nilyank said:

Of course having Jia being the only one who Kong will communicate with, totally justifies sending the child into super untested and extremely dangerous mission into the Hollow Earth. 

I don't see what the problem is, she had parental supervision.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Amethyst said:

And of course her dopey father dies while making a classic villain speech.

Which did allow for the great line "Oh, I really wanted to hear the rest of that speech!" from conspiracy theory guy.

On 4/1/2021 at 9:10 AM, raven said:

I really liked it - it gave me what I wanted, monster fights I could actually see.  I'm a Godzilla fan but ended up being as worried as you can be about a giant CGI ape that you know will get up when Kong went down

Same here! I really liked it, and a big part was because they figured out a way to make me care about Kong.

On 4/1/2021 at 6:37 PM, xaxat said:

As for the plot, lots of WTF moments. But my favorite was the fact that Godzilla attacked Pensacola one night didn't stop them from opening the schools the next day.

For me, I got the biggest kick out of yelling at the people "WHY ARE YOU STILL THERE?!" as they screamed in panic several minutes into the Hong Kong battle. Especially since right at the start we had a guy say, "I'm evacuating the city." I mean, if you're on the 20th floor of an office building and see Godzilla trashing the city through your window, why are you not only still there five minutes later when shit starts flying in your direction. but also screaming in surprise as you run for your life.  Heh.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I came for giant monster fights, and I got some giant fights, what else could I ask for? 

I would put this in the middle of the modern run of Godzilla movies, not as good as King of Monsters but better than the first new Godzilla. I came to really like Kong in this one, which I wasn't shocked by as I quite liked Skull Island, but I think this made him more of a character. Seeing the hallow earth world was really cool and gave him some creative creatures to fight, and they showed how he could fight even a massive ass atomic weapon breathing supercreature like Godzilla. Of course, I was waiting for them to team up and kick some ass together, which is way more fun then seeing them fight, so they went and gave us Mechagodzilla! All the monster fights were really cool, its really all I am looking for here at this point in the franchise. 

The humans were as dull as most humans in these movies are, with Jia the little girl and her group being the least boring and most actually plot relevant. The young actress was great and she had good chemistry with her adopted mom and Alexander Skarsgard. The classic giant monster team, the two good looking adults with vague scientific knowledge and the cute kid who has a bond with the giant monster. Kyle Chandler was only in about two scenes and like everyone else has forgotten everything that happened in the last movie, and Madison and her comic relief squad added nothing, could have been edited out. Seriously people, have we not learned to just let Godzilla do his thing? If he's attacking something, does no one besides one kid and a podcaster think that maybe he has a reason? Did we not have a whole freaking movie about that?

I did find it funny how quickly the human villains were taken out, like even the movie knew how lame they were and were just a means to an end to get Mechagodzilla and wanted them gone as quickly as the audience does. Main bad guy didn't even get to finish his big speech. 

I was right, I'm afraid.  This film was terrible.  It was a complete CGIfest...you couldn't even be treated to actual shooting on the sea.  The human cast was terrible and there was not one character from that last Godzilla movie that I was hoping to see and I don't think anyone else was either.  The dialogue they were forced to speak didn't help.  There was nothing impressive about the fight scenes and monsters destroying cities has no appeal to me.  Hollow Earth was the one highlight. 

It's hard to believe that this film is rated about the same at Rotten Tomatoes as the far superior Kong Skull Island.  The latter film had a really good story, a great cast with better characters, strong monster action and fighting along with some actual...gasp...location filming!  Did COVID restrictions have anything to do with this film being virtually a CGI cartoon?  Either way, awful film.  I wouldn't have paid for it if it was strictly in theaters and it wasn't even with my time in my own home.

• Love 2
On 4/10/2021 at 7:41 PM, benteen said:

It's hard to believe that this film is rated about the same at Rotten Tomatoes as the far superior Kong Skull Island.  The latter film had a really good story, a great cast with better characters, strong monster action and fighting along with some actual...gasp...location filming!  Did COVID restrictions have anything to do with this film being virtually a CGI cartoon?  Either way, awful film.  I wouldn't have paid for it if it was strictly in theaters and it wasn't even with my time in my own home.

I really liked Kong Skull Island as well-I much preferred it to the Gozilla Movies (I never even watched the last one they made-Godzilla King of the Monsters) but I remember Kong Skull Island made like, no money (translation no one went to see it), I think this already has made more money!

And I think...this movie was already filmed before COVID? but don't quote me, I remember hearing about this movie for a while, I think it was one of those pushed back releases that happened in 2020.....I think they had planned for all these Godzilla/Kong movies....but I wonder if because Kong Skull Island did so poorly at the box office it is why they never gave Kong his own movie again???

On 4/4/2021 at 6:17 PM, Amethyst said:

Anytime one of the Madison's Scooby Doo scenes happened, I just zoned out.  Sadly, I wouldn't have cared if they ended up as casualties of Godzilla or Kong.  What a waste of Brian Tyree Henry.

LOL! actually i heard most people thought Brian Tyree Henry was solid...but I found him annoying as all get out....and the only show I ever liked MBB in is Stranger Things, but even on that show she is starting to annoy (her and mike!)

On 4/4/2021 at 6:17 PM, Amethyst said:

I lol'd when the villains met their demise so easily.  And what captivating lines!  "My father gets what he wants."  She could have just put on a red shirt and called it a day.  And of course her dopey father dies while making a classic villain speech.

Oh yes...she was terrible, Eiza Gonzalez???? I don't know know how much work she gets these days....but to me she appears to be all style, no substance at least in the acting department...I will always associate her as the L.Hemsworth rebound from Cyrus (1st breakup)

On 4/1/2021 at 11:34 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I hated having Kong and Godzilla fighting each other, though. I did like them teaming up and fighting the Mecha (that's how my CC had it) machine monster.

Yeah, some of those scenes were a little cringe worthy to watch....even though you know it is fake LOL....and you could totally see it was moving towards, "in the end they will team up" angle....

I liked this a lot more than i thought i would....i was prepared to be here only for the CGI brawls....but i ended up quite liking it, bad dialogue/bad acting and all.....what got on my nerves, was....I thought they aged Kong up a little too much (aren't the Kaju [spelling?] supposed to live, like hundreds of years?) and i saw on one of HBO's behind the scenes clip things that Kong was supposed to be a "teenager" in skulls island...so, does he only live as long as a human? they aged him too much!

and how did he end up in that containment/observation area???? and boy did that dome looked like something out of the hunger games meets Jurassic World!

Edited by snickers
12 hours ago, snickers said:

I really liked Kong Skull Island as well-I much preferred it to the Gozilla Movies (I never even watched the last one they made-Godzilla King of the Monsters) but I remember Kong Skull Island made like, no money (translation no one went to see it), I think this already has made more money!

And I think...this movie was already filmed before COVID? but don't quote me, I remember hearing about this movie for a while, I think it was one of those pushed back releases that happened in 2020.....I think they had planned for all these Godzilla/Kong movies....but I wonder if because Kong Skull Island did so poorly at the box office it is why they never gave Kong his own movie again???

I remember Skull Island doing well at the box office and doing a quick check on it's Wiki page...

Kong: Skull Island grossed $168 million in the United States and Canada and $398.6 million in other territories for a worldwide gross of $566.7 million.[4] With a production budget of $185 million, with about $136 million more spent on international marketing costs, the film needed to make at least $450–500 million worldwide to break-even.

So Skull Island does seem like it turned in a profit during it's box office run although probably not as much as the studio would have hoped.  Which is a shame because it put this film and the previous Godzilla film to absolute shame (I didn't see the Bryan Cranston Godzilla film or the 1998 one).  Kong is definitely the more interesting of the two monsters.

Filmed before COVID, which makes the lack of location shooting even more damning.

The older I get, the more I feel like a crank and a contrarian. I HATE cranks and contrarians.

I am one of approximately eleven people who genuinely enjoyed the first of this series of Godzilla movies (the Bryan Cranston one), which had a look and an approach that was apparently just on the right side of realistic enough for me to suspend disbelief -- monster movie disbelief, anyway. Incidentally, this line is pretty arbitrary, seeing as I was able to enjoy Pacific Rim without a problem. Whatever that line was for me in the first movie about the Zilla God, this last one just blew gleefully past it like a car full of drunk teenagers late to an accident. Between the absurd Star Wars level tech, the annoying set design that consisted entirely of "that's cool, let's put glowy lines on it", and the "science" that was SO dumb I was constantly taken out of the film, it was just way too cartoonish for me.

Given the movie's reasonable take on their respective abilities, my reaction to the trailers was pretty silly. I kept yelling at Kong not to hurt Godzilla. A tad premature. And the thing is, I am always on Kong's side. No matter how bad the film (I am looking at you Peter Jackson) any time Kong gets hurt (which is, you know, EVERY time), there will be tears. The big galoot just wants to live his life and everybody keeps picking on him! And this time he had a little girl best friend. Who signed to him. And he signed back, just like Koko. I hate this movie and still with the tears. Stupid movie.

Edited by MJ Frog
  • Love 2

So I watched this recently.  I didn't see any of the other movies but I was mildly familiar with them.  I thought the movie was pretty decent but I did skip like 2/3 of all the human interactions.  The conspiracy nut and Millie Bobby Brown were pointless and not that fun to watch.  Wasn't that interested in Hollow Earth guy either but the sign language lady and the deaf girl worked pretty well.  

I was surprised with how fat Godzilla looked.  I guess I'm just more used to the sleeker design.  King Kong was really well done.  They did a good job with making it so you understand what he's thinking or feeling.  I kind of wish, especially for the fights, that they'd put up subtitles for him but then again I kind of wished Godzilla gave him a thumbs up at the end too so it's probably best they didn't.  

ETA: While the Hollow Earth stuff was really stupid (where is that sunlight coming from), I actually liked it especially the two different gravity fields.  Since they Godzilla rights have now expired, I'd love to see a Kong movie in hollow earth.  Although if they do, they'd better give Kong a family.  Last of his kind is sad.   

Edited by Matt K
14 hours ago, Matt K said:

I was surprised with how fat Godzilla looked. 

This made me laugh out loud (literally).  I need to watch the first Godzilla again and finally watch Godzilla king of the monsters and do a comparison.....HBO max has both movies available to watch.

14 hours ago, Matt K said:

While the Hollow Earth stuff was really stupid (where is that sunlight coming from),

You know, I never even thought of this....but excellent point....my gripe is....isn't the earth supposed be all hot rock and lava and stuff inside???? I need to take my brain back to 5th grade science class 😆

I watched this in 2 stages and finished it last night. It was alright for a monster movie. I haven't seen the previous films in the same universe so I was a little lost about Titans and such, but I guess it didn't matter. It wasn't quite mindless, but it's clear the humans and their motivations didn't really matter because the monsters were the stars. I guess I was entertained enough. I did think Kong's size perspective wasn't consistent throughout; at times, he didn't look as big as he was supposed to

I enjoyed the first Godzilla movie, and really liked Kong Skull Island.  Was disappointed by Godzilla: King of the Monsters.  But I liked Godzilla vs. Kong enough.  I wish there had been more star power.  For the first half dozen times they showed the Alexander Skarsgaard character, my kids kept asking "is that Ford"?  Where IS Ford, anyways?  I love that Aaron Taylor Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen played husband and wife in the first movie and then siblings in Avengers Age of Ultron.  I've been wondering what happened to their characters.  Was there a line I missed somewhere in the subsequent movies that mentioned them?

I would have much preferred seeing them again than bringing back Eleven and Kyle Chandler, both of whom are just boring and not believable as action heroes.  And too bad that Kong Skull Island was set in the 60s/70s otherwise GvK could have brought back Tom Hiddleston's character.  Why not at least bring an older version of his character, like how they had older Brooks show up in King of the Monsters?  An older Conrad could have been played by Liam Neeson.

3 hours ago, blackwing said:

Was there a line I missed somewhere in the subsequent movies that mentioned them?

No, they've never been mentioned in any of the other movies.

Though I really liked GvK, I would have liked to see a continuation of the characters from the end of Skull Island - did they get involved with Monarch, etc.

• Love 1
On 4/28/2021 at 2:20 AM, AnimeMania said:

If they get the greenlight to make another movie, they would make

Reveal spoiler

"Son of Kong" (title not set in stone).

Apparently they got the greenlight for a sequel.

I'm weirdly excited for it. I mostly liked the last movie, except for Madison's storyline...that totally slowed down the movie for me.

Legendary Drops Title Reveal Trailer for ‘Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire’

1059716-godzillaxkongii.jpg

Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire only in theaters March 15, 2024.

This latest entry in the Monsterverse franchise follows up the explosive showdown of Godzilla vs. Kong with an all-new cinematic adventure, pitting the almighty Kong and the fearsome Godzilla against a colossal undiscovered threat hidden within our world, challenging their very existence – and our own. The epic new film will delve further into the histories of these Titans, their origins, and the mysteries of Skull Island and beyond, while uncovering the mythic battle that helped forge these extraordinary beings and tied them to humankind forever.

I preferred GODZILLA X KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE infinitely more than GODZILLA X KONG. I can't believe Adam Wingard directed both. The first one was plodding, trying to wade through this connected universe while ..THE NEW EMPIRE is just fun, breezy, action-packed.  A vast improvement.

• Like 1