Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Brentwood Trash

dubbel zout
  • Start Topic

I am not a fan of either David Spade or Andie MacDowell, so they kind of ruined this episode for me.  At least the mayor and Arpi worked well together at the town hall meeting.

Didn't care for the B-plot with Orly and the staffers.  

I may have to give this up -- Mikaela's voice/intonation/vocal fry really got on my last nerve tonight.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

Guess I'm in the minority.  This show makes me laugh, which is enough to keep me watching. 

That being said, I'm probably not invested enough to regularly discuss it on a message board. 😐

Same here.  It’s right up my alley.  It’s just dumb fun with no heavy real life ‘drama’.  I hope it sticks around.

• Love 12

In general, I am neutral about Chrissy Teigan.  However her two commentaries during the past and present community meetings were the best, funniest parts of this episode.  Loved how she “didn’t get all the singing” from her husband!  “And his last name isn’t Legend...it’s McGruff, like the crime dog.”

• LOL 5
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

In general, I am neutral about Chrissy Teigan.  However her two commentaries during the past and present community meetings were the best, funniest parts of this episode.  Loved how she “didn’t get all the singing” from her husband!  “And his last name isn’t Legend...it’s McGruff, like the crime dog.”

Meh. She had great lines but, IMO, failed to deliver them.

Ted Danson and "Young Sheldon" (in the same time slot) being on hiatus are the only reasons I'm watching.

• Love 1

I am not a fan of either David Spade or Andie MacDowell

I'm no David Spade fan either but I thought the cameos were pretty funny. Arpi not knowing who he was was such a great burn, and I really liked the flirtation between Neil and Andie and how besotted he was with her. Tiegen was fun too. Clearly none of them take themselves too seriously. 

• Love 15

They lost me with Andi McDowell. Why is this woman still getting work when there are so many far more talented actresses out there? 😢

I'm only watching for Ted Danson, too, but it just isn't that funny.

• Love 6

What is with all the Andi McDowell hate?  Did she kick a puppy?  Beat her husband?  Is she over 40 and still getting work?  I thought she was ok in this but then this a new comedy and I never particularly like new comedies.  Even the comedies I grew to like like Big Bang Theory  and The Good Place I actually HATED the first few episodes.   So I have never particularly liked work Place comedies.   So I just don’t know about this.   

• Love 5

I saw Andie MacDowell on the preview, but I had no idea she would be playing herself, especially as an insufferable spoiled jerk riding on her perfect skin and hair. I am not a huge fan of her in general, but I thought she was pretty funny here. The celebrity cameo's in general were fun, especially Chrissy Teigan's rants about her husband. "You cant just say it?" 

I am still liking the show, even if all the subplots and characters don't quite gel yet. I see a lot of potential. Plus, I would probably watch for Ted Danson alone. 

• Love 12

The town hall meeting reminded me that Parks & Rec took  a six episode short first season & summer break to find its greatness. So, no harm in giving this one a few more eps to find the footing that eludes it thus far. 

• Love 11

I was bored with this episode.  

I guess the cameos were ok.  

One of my biggest problems is I find holly hunter miscast here.  She doesn't seem right for the role.  I realize what others are saying about it still being early but she is supposed to be a focal point of the show with ted danson and I just find her out of place here. 

Few laughs but nothing great. Or that original really.  Life is like high school!   Saw that coming from the start.  It's been done

I've never thought Andi macdowell was very good as an actress but she looks great for 62 years old.   

Edited by DrSpaceman73
7 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

One of my biggest problems is I find holly hunter miscast here.  She doesn't seem right for the role.  I realize what others are saying about it still being early but she is supposed to be a focal point of the show with ted danson and I just find her out of place here. 

When Mr Mayor was flirting with his old crush (whose goal was to thwart his eco-friendly agenda) I thought the bit where Holly’s character called a time out worked well.

• Love 2

I think they are still refining Holly Hunter's character to be a "not loony but rather smart" California Eco Warrior without turning her into a Homeless Bag Lady or Crazy Cat Lady. I think they are trying to soften her look while toning down her abrasiveness so that viewers will like her more. She has to help the Mayor while also sneakily pushing her own agendas, since she seems to be the only true politician.

• Love 6

I liked it.  Enjoyed the celeb cameos - they're in LA, they're in Brentwood, why not acknowledge the inhabitants?  No, Andie McDowell is not the world's greatest actress but here it didn't matter.  I laughed at Ted Danson falling prey to his youthful fantasies and Holly Hunter snapping him back to reality.  Didn't mind the high school stuff, either.  I'm not looking for any heavy lifting here, I'm looking for an entertaining half hour.

Edited by bugsmum
grammar
  • Love 11

I also didn't mind the high school stuff. And honestly, as someone who was in band in HS (and had a friend a year ahead of me who was first chair until she graduated and I finally had my chance), I was with her on the solo thing. If you earn first chair, you should get the solo, period. Unless there are multiple solos and you can throw a bone to second chair on one of them (and even then, I'm iffy). But that didn't sound to be the case. So I was totally with Orly on the outrage, lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

So far I am enjoying this show. As far as recent comedies from legendary creators with A-list sitcom leads, this one is way funnier than Space Force.

Plus I thought Andie MacDowell worked perfect since she was the right age of Star to be the Mayor's former star crush. Although Mary Steenburgen would have been funnier.

• Love 12

I don't normally watch sitcoms, but I think this show is pretty funny.  I'm slightly involved in LA politics though, so my view might be skewed because I can relate to certain things.  Like I don't have a council parking pass, but I have a city hall pass and there was much drama involved.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3