Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 12/07/2020

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Dec. 7 – The Political View with Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday, Dec. 8 – The Political View with New York Attorney General Letitia James; Cyndi Lauper (Cyndi Lauper & Friends: Home for the Holidays”)

Wednesday, Dec. 9 – Taraji P. Henson (“Peace of Mind”)

Thursday, Dec. 10 – Emily Blunt (“Wild Mountain Thyme”); Holiday toys with Elizabeth Werner

Friday, Dec. 11 – Day of Hot Topics

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Looking forward to Tuesday's show with New York Attorney General Letitia James ! And I Iove Cyndi Lauper, but she's probably not going to perform.

I'm assuming there is this week and next week left before they break for Christmas ? Then they come back January 4 ?

And Thursday's show promises another Rakutan infomercial with Elizabeth Werner! Yay!

Edited by LetsStartTalking
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, TheView said:

Monday's guest will be a snooze 

Agree, but tomorrow we get to purchase the hottest items at affordable prices thanks to VYD!

I mean - don't we all need more face creams, body lotions, bubble bath, candles, and truffle oils to get us through this week ? I'm going to open a new credit card tomorrow morning so that at 12 noon (EST) I'll be ready for 'the drill' ! Count down to Greta...

• LOL 5
2 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

I did not see the show today but I am curious to know how the ladies dealt with Senator Joe Manchin...

They were pretty easy on him.   I think Sunny asked him why he voted with Trump 51% of the time, and he gave a pretty standard answer about representing the people of his state and working across the aisle.   Sarah excitedly pointed out that she agreed with him.   That was probably the toughest question to him.  He said his many of his republican colleagues won't stand up and say Biden is President elect because they are scared of the 70 million Twitter followers of you know who.   

• Love 6
2 hours ago, After7Only said:

They were pretty easy on him.   I think Sunny asked him why he voted with Trump 51% of the time, and he gave a pretty standard answer about representing the people of his state and working across the aisle.   Sarah excitedly pointed out that she agreed with him.   That was probably the toughest question to him.  He said his many of his republican colleagues won't stand up and say Biden is President elect because they are scared of the 70 million Twitter followers of you know who.   

He is my senator and all I can say is he doesn't represent me.  When he was on the ballot two years ago I wrote in my own name. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, After7Only said:

Thank you for your response! He is in a ruby red state so I expect him to vote the way that he does.. I could say more but it would be off-topic..

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

He missed his calling, he should have been an undertaker.

Except he is probably making a whole lot more money than an undertaker. I agree he is totally creepy.

Donald Trump Dancing GIF by MOODMAN

• LOL 5

Takeaways from today's show:

1. Ana on Kelly Loeffler : "She sounded like my alarm system when it tells me my door is ajar."

That one-liner has been circulating all over social media since the debate ended.  By this morning's show, it's stale and tired. Ana needs to be original if she wants to be funny.

2. Sarah Haines on Senator Perdue (who didn't show up for the debate): "If you don't show up for something at any other job, you're fired."

Sarah has said some pretty ridiculous things on this show over the years, but this takes the cake.  First of all, what she said IS NOT TRUE. The only 'things' you need to show up for at work are those which are considered 'mandatory' which are those which are 'mandated'. Everything else is considered 'voluntary', such as a senator debating his political opponent.

If something is mandated - such as a department meeting - and it's on your day off or 'after hours', then yes you have to show up, and yes your employer has to pay you for your time (some states require a minimum of half a day's pay, such as my state, or as long as the mandated event takes place - whichever is the greater of the two). If the event - such as a meeting on your day off-  is not mandatory, it's considered voluntary and it's up to the employee on whether they want to attend. If the voluntary event is on your day off and you decide to attend, no pay is expected.

Debates are not mandatory - they are voluntary between the candidates. If a candidate chooses not to participate, so be it. (He / she will pay the consequences later). It's not part of a senator's job to show up, even though Sarah suggested the opposite. No one corrected her - probably because she went on and on and on for what felt like 45 minutes, and everyone tuned out.

BTW, who decided to dress her up as though it was Independence Day ?

3. Adam Glassman - If they decide to do any more pale makeup on him with bright lighting and white shirts against a white background, he's going to be transparent. He looked like a ghost today,  trying to convince us that  Oprah's favorite pretzels and truffle mustard are great 'Christmas gifts'. Talk about sounding like Ana's monotone alarm system warning her the door is ajar...

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Once again, The View is preempted by a politician. Governor Newsom has been speaking forever....  and yet it’s nothing I didn’t already know. 
oh well... it’s still better than View Your Deal. 

Oh no it isn't ! Did Newsom give you the chance to buy Oprah's favorite pretzels, truffle mustard, 'cheaters' (reading glasses), pillows, purses and tote bags all at affordable prices ?  Hmmmm? Did he ??? I don't think so....

Gavin Newsom has nothing on Adam Glassman (except Newsom is so much sexier and better looking).

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

Takeaways from today's show:

1. Ana on Kelly Loeffler : "She sounded like my alarm system when it tells me my door is ajar."

That one-liner has been circulating all over social media since the debate ended.  By this morning's show, it's stale and tired. Ana needs to be original if she wants to be funny.

It's not the first time Ana does this. I've noticed before that she recycles jokes that make the rounds on social media.

2 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

2. Sarah Haines on Senator Perdue (who didn't show up for the debate): "If you don't show up for something at any other job, you're fired."

Sarah has said some pretty ridiculous things on this show over the years, but this takes the cake.  First of all, what she said IS NOT TRUE. The only 'things' you need to show up for at work are those which are considered 'mandatory' which are those which are 'mandated'. Everything else is considered 'voluntary', such as a senator debating his political opponent.

If something is mandated - such as a department meeting - and it's on your day off or 'after hours', then yes you have to show up, and yes your employer has to pay you for your time (some states require a minimum of half a day's pay, such as my state, or as long as the mandated event takes place - whichever is the greater of the two). If the event - such as a meeting on your day off-  is not mandatory, it's considered voluntary and it's up to the employee on whether they want to attend. If the voluntary event is on your day off and you decide to attend, no pay is expected.

Debates are not mandatory - they are voluntary between the candidates. If a candidate chooses not to participate, so be it. (He / she will pay the consequences later). It's not part of a senator's job to show up, even though Sarah suggested the opposite. No one corrected her - probably because she went on and on and on for what felt like 45 minutes, and everyone tuned out.

My ears perked up when I heard her say this because if that were true, I'd be long fired. I do not do voluntary professional development outside my contract hours.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm no fan of Adam Glassman or Oprah's overpriced favorite things, but I did get two of these items last time they were offered (yes, the same exact things).  The glasses are really cheap (looking), but they are really cheap (price).  Decent enough bifocal sunglasses for reading outside.  And I bought the crossbody bag to use when going to football games and concerts.  It can fit in a back pocket so can pass as a wallet rather than handbag (and thus not subject to search) but is big enough for my phone and a couple small items.  I'm really happy with both items.

No comment on the other crap.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

No comment on the other crap.

The only comment, or rather question, or maybe it's both on the other crap that happened yesterday is why Whoopi/producers/writers feel the need to have Whoopi ask the SAME.DAMN.QUESTION to the other co-hosts nearly every damn day, when the answer doesn't change. And that is her asking "what do you think [insert cohost name] about what can be done so people will wear masks? Or any variation of the same thing.

I looooove the holiday decorations! That's one of the things I covet about this show. Their Christmas decorations.

Don't care if Anna "recycles" jokes. The way she says them is natural and funny. Plus, she was right. Loeffler sounds/sounded like some robotic Stepford wife. No affect, flat tone. 

• Love 14
24 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Dear Sara, Trump didn’t buy enough vaccine because he didn’t believe we’d need it, not out of any concern for its safety. 

How can anyone claim Trump made any decisions with regard to Covid out of concern for safety?  Am PVRing so haven't seen this yet but did she really make this claim with a straight face?

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
15 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

Sara reads what she is given to read.  This shouldn't be a complex issue that she couldn't understand but it was.

Sara is in over her head.  She looks like she is proud of herself when she finishes the answer. She sounds the same if she is asking a question or replying to a question. Can't the producers notice that?

• Love 2

1. Whose bright idea was it to stick the wig from The Cowardly Lion on Sunny's head today ? She looked like TCL when he was in the beauty parlor in the merry ol' land of Oz.

2. Sarah, please look for a new job over Christmas break. I'm sure TVFN or HGTV would love to have you as one of their chirpy hosts.

3. Glad to see the show is now promoting themselves as #1 Daytime show and Emmy winner in their commercial bumpers. They've certainly earned it.

4. Letitia James is 'the real deal'. She scared me - I can only imagine she has the Trump family crapping their pants.

• Love 6

Personally, I completely agreed with Sara about Perdue not showing up for the debate. Why are you in this job if you don't want to answer to the people who put you there? One of the few times Sara actually made a comment that hit the bull's-eye. Usually I see her value as lightening up the show and providing a sense of camaraderie that's been completely absent with McCain there (and, look, they finally went #1 with Sara! lol), not necessarily in giving worthwhile opinions. Congrats.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Personally, I completely agreed with Sara about Perdue not showing up for the debate. Why are you in this job if you don't want to answer to the people who put you there? One of the few times Sara actually made a comment that hit the bull's-eye. Usually I see her value as lightening up the show and providing a sense of camaraderie that's been completely absent with McCain there (and, look, they finally went #1 with Sara! lol), not necessarily in giving worthwhile opinions. Congrats.

While Sara might not have said something that was factual I agree with her sentiment.  If I was a voter in GA I would think he should be fired (not reelected) for failing to show up for a debate. She is sometimes in over her  head with political discussions but with regard to this I don't think what she said was nonsense.  

• Love 13

I liked what the AG had to say, but it appeared to be scripted, especially when she repeated herself verbatim when responding to Joy.  If Joy didn't understand the wording the first time, explaining it with different words usually helps.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The only comment, or rather question, or maybe it's both on the other crap that happened yesterday is why Whoopi/producers/writers feel the need to have Whoopi ask the SAME.DAMN.QUESTION to the other co-hosts nearly every damn day, when the answer doesn't change. And that is her asking "what do you think [insert cohost name] about what can be done so people will wear masks? Or any variation of the same thing.

Yes! Stop asking the same question and expecting a different answer. Today was a bit better where they seemed to actually be having a conversation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I liked what the AG had to say, but it appeared to be scripted, especially when she repeated herself verbatim when responding to Joy.  If Joy didn't understand the wording the first time, explaining it with different words usually helps.

I think for obvious legal reasons, she had to be very careful and particular with what she said and how she said it. She doesn't want to jeopardize the cases they are building.  But I think Joy (and the audience, and especially the Trumps) can read between the lines of what she was saying. She said quite a bit without saying too much.

• Love 6

Geez, Whoopi was so self-righteous in her opinion that The Crown doesn't need a disclaimer. Whatever, Whoopi, sorry not everyone is as smart as you are 🙄. I have never seen The Crown, but because it is based on actual people, I would assume it's about actual events. As a matter of fact, it does include real events so I guess we all just have to be as smart as Whoopi and automatically know which are real real and which are a product of someone's creative juices.

• Love 11

I found The Crown conversation interesting. I was a full-fledged Diana-loon as a kid, and cast Charles and Camilla as straight villains. But over the years, a lot has come out to show a more nuanced look at Diana, and how she was a very troubled woman. 

She threw herself down the stairs for attention while pregnant with William, and went on to have several affairs herself while married.  In fact, she was obsessed with a doctorate after he went on to marry, harassed him and his wife quite badly

At the time, and perhaps even now, cheating was a part of life in an aristocratic marriage.  Diana, coming from that background, should have known this, but was a sheltered, lonely girl who idealized romance novels. 

As an adult I see three people trapped in an unhappy existence. Camillia’s ex was no victim, and was a prolific cheater himself.  The problem was Charles and Diana had nothing in common, and were remarkably different people.  Diana was a sacrificial lamb, but Charles didn’t get much happiness out of the arrangement either. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Um... isn’t it “attorneys general“ and not “attorney generals”? That’s how I learned it in law school.   

She probably also says maid of honors and brother in laws. 😂

2 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

I found The Crown conversation interesting. I was a full-fledged Diana-loon as a kid, and cast Charles and Camilla as straight villains. But over the years, a lot has come out to show a more nuanced look at Diana, and how she was a very troubled woman. 

She threw herself down the stairs for attention while pregnant with William, and went on to have several affairs herself while married.  In fact, she was obsessed with a doctorate after he went on to marry, harassed him and his wife quite badly

At the time, and perhaps even now, cheating was a part of life in an aristocratic marriage.  Diana, coming from that background, should have known this, but was a sheltered, lonely girl who idealized romance novels. 

As an adult I see three people trapped in an unhappy existence. Camillia’s ex was no victim, and was a prolific cheater himself.  The problem was Charles and Diana had nothing in common, and were remarkably different people.  Diana was a sacrificial lamb, but Charles didn’t get much happiness out of the arrangement either. 

Is all this real real or are you just being creative? Disclaimer, please. 😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, UpTooLate said:

Letitia James was definitely there to polish her brass balls, and she did it very effectively. I appreciated her double-verbatim response to Joy, the subtext of which I took to mean, "This is a very complex issue and every word has been chosen with great care, partly due to legal reasons and partly to show that we are not winging this." Joy wanted something chatty or speculative, and Letitia wasn't playing that game.

I think Joy realized that, too, when James started repeating the same thing she'd just said. They were both laughing at that point knowing her hands were tied. She has to be professional and can't give an off-the-cuff response like, "Don't worry, he's going to jail." LOL

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Geez, Whoopi was so self-righteous in her opinion that The Crown doesn't need a disclaimer. Whatever, Whoopi, sorry not everyone is as smart as you are 🙄. I have never seen The Crown, but because it is based on actual people, I would assume it's about actual events. As a matter of fact, it does include real events so I guess we all just have to be as smart as Whoopi and automatically know which are real real and which are a product of someone's creative juices.

Whoopi was shocked that anyone disagreed with her.  It's surprising she didn't make the connection between viewers who buy into the fiction of The Crown and viewers who buy into the fiction of the election.  Yes, people really are that dumb and gullible.  But we got a "We don't know, we weren't there" out of her.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Blissfool said:

'Real real?'  So, is 'real real' like 'rape rape'?  From back when she was defending Bill Cosby?  Is the logic here that if Whoopi says a word twice it doesn't really mean what the word means?  Or that it does mean what the word means?  Huh?  I'll need  further Whoopi-splaining and another coffee or three for this one.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, UpTooLate said:

My feeling is that she will try to do what she can to convict the bad actors in this administration and then run for Governor

I think her aspirations might be even higher than that.  

12 hours ago, AryasMum said:

In the 90s there was so much coverage of their marriage/divorce with each side feeding information to the media.

I do know after Diana's death and especially after her children were much older there was a concerted effort to make Charles and Camilla more palatable to the people of England.  He was/is going to be king and he wanted Camilla by his side no matter what.

Was Diana a saint? No.  Was Charles a horrible person? No. Lousy husband absolutely.  I think what some people forget is members of royal families (and all celebs for that matter) are human beings. They have the same flaws and emotions as everyone else.

11 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I think Joy realized that, too, when James started repeating the same thing she'd just said. They were both laughing at that point knowing her hands were tied. She has to be professional and can't give an off-the-cuff response like, "Don't worry, he's going to jail." LOL

The attorney general is smart enough to not say anything that will look like a partisan attack.  Unlike some people she isn't trying her case in the court of public opinion.

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Whoopi was shocked that anyone disagreed with her.  It's surprising she didn't make the connection between viewers who buy into the fiction of The Crown and viewers who buy into the fiction of the election.  Yes, people really are that dumb and gullible.  But we got a "We don't know, we weren't there" out of her.

How long before we see a movie about the 2020 election?  And depending on who the filmmakers are what exactly will the movie show?

9 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

'Real real?'  So, is 'real real' like 'rape rape'?  From back when she was defending Bill Cosby?  Is the logic here that if Whoopi says a word twice it doesn't really mean what the word means?  Or that it does mean what the word means?  Huh?  I'll need  further Whoopi-splaining and another coffee or three for this one.

I thought she said that when defending Roman Polanski.