Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Graduation

Katie goes to great lengths to appease Principal Ablin in order to ensure Taylor graduates high school. Meanwhile, Greg finishes ghost writing the final chapter of Lonnie’s book. And while Oliver is devastated to learn Cooper’s family will be moving out of Westport, Anna-Kat tells Franklin she is ready to venture outside her comfort zone and plans to attend sleep-away camp during summer break.

Air date: 2020.28.10

No problem with new Anna-Kat, but why couldn't we get rid of the Social Dip? I don't get why the show loves the actor and story so much. "Oh, but you care, not the people who like and make me money." Yet, still likes to say how much Greg's ass is so big, did he look in the mirror? I think I know who gained the Quarantine 19. Malotorian... LOL!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Bulldog said:

I guess when you've starred with Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt, an ABC sitcom just doesn't cut it anymore. 

From the story I read...pretty much...

8 minutes ago, readster said:

No problem with new Anna-Kat, but why couldn't we get rid of the Social Dip? I don't get why the show loves the actor and story so much. "Oh, but you care, not the people who like and make me money." Yet, still likes to say how much Greg's ass is so big, did he look in the mirror? I think I know who gained the Quarantine 19. Malotorian... LOL!

God, yes, please. That whole prank thing was never funny. 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

"Kids change." Didn't know there was gonna be a new Anna Kat. I didn't watch Life in Pieces regularly but I always did like the actress in that.

Thanks, trying to figure out why she was familiar.   I liked her on that show.  She doesn't feel Anna Kat to me, though.   

Don't know how it will turn out in practice but I love the idea of Cooper living at the Otto house.  Anything that gets me more Cooper. 

And of course Franklin can play the bagpipes.   I like that Tripp knew that.  And Tripp's recounting the wedding between Taylor's ponies.  

Edited by bybrandy
  • Love 15
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

From the story I read...pretty much...

God, yes, please. That whole prank thing was never funny. 

Even when he does it and they are "trying to" make it that it isn't funny to Greg and only to Social Idiot. It makes it more painful, not heartwarming. I mean not only did he ruin a nice suit, but had Greg known as a guy with a big ass, when like I said, did the other guy look in the mirror. This was with Greg's obsessive assistant. They kept beating us over the head it was funny and seeing the actor who played the assistant, got a new show and left. I think the writers would have continued to shoved him in our facing to prove: "Doesn't Greg's job truly suck he has to put up with this?" 

I'm sorry, as someone who has a doctorate himself, Universities make sure you are allowed to "choose your projects" to write on. From books to scholastic journals. If it doesn't fit you, you can refuse, but you have to either accept another option or propose your own. Instead Greg is: "Yeah, you got tenure, but you get a broom closet office, you can ghost write, which you love, but let's stick you with people we would run over with a car. Oh yeah, you want to teach a class NO ONE else cares about, but hey we are going to make you jump through hoops to get it." Greg seriously could sue the university over all this crap. I did like the "mean mom" situation at the library, because that was more realistic then them constantly trying to screw Katie over. Of course, we are still lead to believe that the principal is still scared of being grounded. FROM WHAT? He has his own house, ect. IT's not funny, I think Katie said it best: "You are not only a grown man, you have a high position, why do you listen to your mother?" 

Sadly, even with Taylor and Tripp out of high school, Oliver still is there, and we have to deal with the crap that is the stupid school staff at the school, especially the principal who apparently named names to get his job.

• Love 4

I know they were sort of in the middle of various storylines in this episode that they had to wrap up from last season, but it was still strange to see Taylor attending  a graduation ceremony with a bunch of people gathered together, Anna-Kat making plans to go to a sleepaway camp during the summer, etc.  I guess this show is really going to take place in an alternate reality where the pandemic isn't an issue. I guess it makes sense, this show has never really been a topical show but mostly light, entertaining fluff. 

It'll be interesting to see which comedies returning over the next few weeks address the topic and which ignore it completely. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, readster said:

I did like the "mean mom" situation at the library, because that was more realistic then them constantly trying to screw Katie over.

Yeah, though in real reality they'd probably just have her replace the book and be done with it.

11 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

I guess this show is really going to take place in an alternate reality where the pandemic isn't an issue.

For a show like this, I am okay with that.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, though in real reality they'd probably just have her replace the book and be done with it.

No kidding, and that's really how school libraries work. Instead of "Massive Fines" they just have you pay for the replacement. But of course, something for the plot to be about. I also can live with this show ignoring COVID or just acting like the pandemic has passed. We have enough shows dealing with it and others that are just trucking along. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Phishbulb said:

I know they were sort of in the middle of various storylines in this episode that they had to wrap up from last season, but it was still strange to see Taylor attending  a graduation ceremony with a bunch of people gathered together, Anna-Kat making plans to go to a sleepaway camp during the summer, etc.  I guess this show is really going to take place in an alternate reality where the pandemic isn't an issue. I guess it makes sense, this show has never really been a topical show but mostly light, entertaining fluff. 

It'll be interesting to see which comedies returning over the next few weeks address the topic and which ignore it completely. 

I'm fine with an alternate universe. Both 'The Conners' and 'Black-ish' have talked about Covid and the election for a few weeks and I'm over it already!

Don't like new Anna Kat. Hopefully she'll loosen up in the weeks to come.

I hate that Lonnie is still around and the show teased me with Greg leaving him.

Cooper was the best as always.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, crimsongrl said:

I hate that Lonnie is still around and the show teased me with Greg leaving him.

Yes, we are stuck with Lonnie apparently the rest of the season too, just not every episode. This is where I did wish we had COVID and Lonnie was stuck in his studio with no way out. Sure, he find ways to annoy Greg, but he wouldn't be jumping out everywhere and driving him crazy. 

• Love 2

I didn't even notice it was a new Ana Kat. I thought she just looked older, LOL. I initially thought maybe this episode was filmed (at least partly) before the shutdown, hence the "four months ago," but if they had to get another kid to play Ana Kat, maybe not? I'd like to know the story on that. 

And yeah, enough with Lonnie. It feels like ABC is just trying to find the kid work anywhere they can stick him. 

Be interested to see where this goes moving forward. I don't know what they do with Taylor and Tripp now that they're graduated.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

And yeah, enough with Lonnie. It feels like ABC is just trying to find the kid work anywhere they can stick him. 

Be interested to see where this goes moving forward. I don't know what they do with Taylor and Tripp now that they're graduated.

I agree, he does have a contract with ABC and did a pilot before the shut down, but it was not picked up. I also agree on Taylor and Tripp, where they could go with this, because options are limited from what they have shown us. Lonnie though is really dead weight.

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't even notice it was a new Ana Kat. I thought she just looked older, LOL. I initially thought maybe this episode was filmed (at least partly) before the shutdown, hence the "four months ago," but if they had to get another kid to play Ana Kat, maybe not? I'd like to know the story on that. 

The original Anna Kat was in a Quentin Tarantino movie (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood) and she asked to be released from the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
Just now, ams1001 said:

The original Anna Kat was in a Quentin Tarantino movie (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood) and she asked to be released from the show.

Because she got a number of offers or at least opportunities for offers due to her performance in this film.  

And I hope it works out for her.  Honestly.   But she's 11 so she's heading into a stage for girls that is awkward where they are too young for the teen roles and too old for the cute kid roles and there aren't a whole lot of roles for tweens who are actually in their tweens out there.   If it were me weighing my options and knowing what i know as an adult of the just general awkwardness that is 11-14, I think I'd stick to my steady job. 

That said I am sure there is a flip side where if you don't strike while the iron is hot, you might not get another opportunity.  It is a tough call... but given how awkward my awkward was?  Yeah, I'm sticking with the contract role.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, crimsongrl said:

Don't like new Anna Kat. Hopefully she'll loosen up in the weeks to come.

I

Yeah. That intro was kind of a shock to me. I'm sure she's a fine actress and all but she'll take some getting used to. It seemed too obvious to me that she's acting. When she said "Quiet You!" to her dad, it came off as mean instead of a funny bitchy little quirk that's the result of being Katie's daughter. I guess that's my problem, it's just that Julia seemed like a natural daughter to Katy. Other than that and Lonnie the show was pretty good so I'll give Giselle a chance.

• Love 10

I don't believe Julia Butters decided to "pursue other opportunities."  I googled around and the internet is seeded with people losing their shit over how much they adore the new Anna-Kat; opposing opinion: zero.  I think the PR Department has been working overtime.

• Love 4

I'm also ok with them ignoring Covid. I'm burned out and just want some laughs. I don't know if they'll address it in future episodes though. I would hate for that awful assistant isolating with the family.

The new Anna-Kat is cute but she needs to relax and say the lines her natural way instead of trying to copy the original. I was never fond of Anna-Kat so the change didn't bother me.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, candall said:

I don't believe Julia Butters decided to "pursue other opportunities."  I googled around and the internet is seeded with people losing their shit over how much they adore the new Anna-Kat; opposing opinion: zero.  I think the PR Department has been working overtime.

Eh, she was really good in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if she got offers from that.

I'll miss Julia Butters. She was a great actress and portrayed Anna Kat so well. I'm sure we'll settle into the new actor as well.

This episode felt a little stiff but it was obviously done to set up the show in light of having to end abruptly last year. I do wish we would have had some fall out from Oliver's Prom Date though.

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Traveller519 said:

I do wish we would have had some fall out from Oliver's Prom Date though.

Since the girl was a senior, I think she just leaves town for college so she and Oliver can't become an item.  Since the episode started with that "4 months ago" text, I am really curious if next episode will jump forward to a point where Cooper has been living with the family for months now.

• Love 3

Well, I for one loved the old Ana-Kat so I miss her, and the new one so far is not feeling like the best fit for the role.  They may have wanted to take the character in a different or more mature direction, but so far from this episode I'm not really feeling that direction.  After so many seasons with one direction, this one is feeling like a square peg in a round hole for me.  I realize not everyone feels that way but that's my opinion.  I don't feel like the actress is blending in as well as she should with the rest of the cast.  In its 5th season I think a show needs someone that feels like a seamless transition and I'm still seeing all the seams.  I'm hoping that as the season wears on she'll start to blend in more.  I wish Julia Butters well, but even with a lot of offers she's at an age that it could go either way for her.  I think she should have stuck around.

I am liking the fact that Cooper will be living with them now.  At least it seems like they're making the most of the rest of the cast so I'm really happy about that.

At first it kind of felt a little out of touch with reality that the show is not even acknowledging the pandemic, but if they do continue with that I'll be OK with it.  The season is young yet and this episode was a "catch up" so there may be a chance that they'll introduce the pandemic at some point.  But even if not, I can live with it.  And in time I'll probably appreciate it because it seems like I can't get away from the pandemic on some other shows.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

At first it kind of felt a little out of touch with reality that the show is not even acknowledging the pandemic, but if they do continue with that I'll be OK with it.  The season is young yet and this episode was a "catch up" so there may be a chance that they'll introduce the pandemic at some point.  But even if not, I can live with it.  And in time I'll probably appreciate it because it seems like I can't get away from the pandemic on some other shows.

You do have to wonder with the: "4 Months ago" Since they had to shut down and never did the graduation episode due to the pandemic. I could even seeing that they don't "ignore" it. Just be like: "Well, there were no cases at this time, so school just went on." Not like they haven't shown how the town defies logic at times or ignores you know, state and federal rules on things. I mean look at the book situation, libraries, especially school libraries have just had it where families/students pay for the replacement and leave it at that. Here they were: "It's 4 years late and lost, you owe us a new car!" Yeah, no. Not the 1980s anymore. 

• Love 3

LOL. Katy: "Kids change." Roseanne: "You can be replaced, you know." (I'll let someone else explain the reference.)

Greg and Katy have always been more parents to Cooper than his actual parents (which basically was no parenting at all), so this is a good move. 

I'm OK with no COVID or election references (they did address global warming and the environment in the first season, I believe). Think the timelessness of syndication.

Tripp's description of the pony wedding was delightful and charming! And his knowing everyone's talents, hidden or known, was heart-warming. Taylor and Tripp will always need adult help, but they do make the world a better place. As does Katy, in her way.

• Love 7

I really hope we get to see Cooper's (real) parents one day. I bet they'd be hysterical. They're supposed to be "sending the jet" for Cooper every other weekend so we'll see if anything comes of that. Cooper would actually be kind of a tragic figure if he weren't so blissfully ignorant. I love his and Oliver's friendship.

Because she got a number of offers or at least opportunities for offers due to her performance in this film.  

And I hope it works out for her.  Honestly.   But she's 11 so she's heading into a stage for girls that is awkward where they are too young for the teen roles and too old for the cute kid roles and there aren't a whole lot of roles for tweens who are actually in their tweens out there.   If it were me weighing my options and knowing what i know as an adult of the just general awkwardness that is 11-14, I think I'd stick to my steady job. 

Yeah, I kind of wondered myself how many "opportunities" there are out there for eleven year old girls. But I don't mind the recast. In fact I didn't even realize it was a recast until I came here, and that's probably because I recognize the new girl from Life in Pieces so she was already familiar to me. I also think both girls are very similar in looks and manner.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I really hope we get to see Cooper's (real) parents one day. I bet they'd be hysterical. They're supposed to be "sending the jet" for Cooper every other weekend so we'll see if anything comes of that. Cooper would actually be kind of a tragic figure if he weren't so blissfully ignorant. I love his and Oliver's friendship.

I think they will be the classic TV troupe and will be talked about, but never seen. Following traditions like: Vira from Cheers, Maris from Fraiser, The Gibbler Parents from Full/Fuller House, The Furlings from Stargate, and of course the Banker from Deal or No Deal. 

• Love 2

Ana Kat was my favorite character.  It amused me how the pronunciation of her name changed depending who said it.  Sometimes it was ANAkat and sometimes it was anaKAT.  She was an adorably cute little weirdo and I'm not sure that I'm going to warm up the new actor.  Fun fact:  this isn't the first time they've changed out actors - the older daughter was played by a different actor in the pilot (she might be suffering from Brian Dunkelman Syndrome these days, although I doubt it was her decision to leave). 

I'm glad they aren't doing Very Special COVID Episodes.  There's enough of that happening in other shows and too many people living it in real life - sometimes I want my EscapisMTV.

Not sure what the point is of Cooper moving in.  I guess the writers will get some mileage out of it, but for our purposes he may as well have been living with them all along.  I always got a kick out of him calling Katy, Mom.

I assumed the You Tube kid would have been gone this season - I don't know how much more they can do with his character. 

One of the classic indicators of a show jumping the shark is when they introduce new characters.  No new characters this season, but we have a new actor and the repositioning of a character.  I'm going to go ahead and say that the show's launched and is airborne, but hasn't quite reached the apex of the leap. Yet.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Not sure what the point is of Cooper moving in.  I guess the writers will get some mileage out of it, but for our purposes he may as well have been living with them all along.  I always got a kick out of him calling Katy, Mom.

I assumed the You Tube kid would have been gone this season - I don't know how much more they can do with his character. 

One of the classic indicators of a show jumping the shark is when they introduce new characters.  No new characters this season, but we have a new actor and the repositioning of a character.  I'm going to go ahead and say that the show's launched and is airborne, but hasn't quite reached the apex of the leap. Yet.

Cooper you can get away with since he would be the sibling the Oliver wanted not what he got being the middle kid with two sisters. As for what's his name I keep forgetting, the YouTube Loser. Yeah, I'm sorry that is more of the show honoring his ABC contract than having meaning. Like I said upthread, its Greg's assistant all over again, except he is more obsessed with Greg as a father figured where the former assistant was hell bent on being "perfect" for everyone because he could NEVER graduate and kept trying to seem important. Youtube Loser has the success, but as he put it, he's just a big showman, the problem is, he isn't realizing that maybe his popularity is going to die someday. Instead of trying to have it where his book keeps going on and on, the should change it where Greg starts showing him there is more than just video likes and cashouts from endorsements. I mean seriously, even NFL hall of famers have to find later work too because they don't know what to do and burn through their money. Now that! Would be a story to get behind not more: "I keep embarrassing Greg and pissing his family off, but I just want him to be my dad!" We got Cooper for that and that feels more realistic and natural. 

• Love 3

That was an adorkable reveal when Franklin admitted that his real fear of Anna-Kat going to a sleepaway camp was that she'd meet and kiss another boy. She might still, Franklin, but cherish the moment. 💘

Hmm. Greg very much needs an adult friend, not another pest. They need to bring back his brother, Greg.

YouTube entrepreneur Lonnie Spears is played by Matt Shively, Jr. He has an extensive resumé. I'm not sure that contract obligations account for his character's continuing presence, but in any case, hate the character, not the actor.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Bobbin said:

Hmm. Greg very much needs an adult friend, not another pest. They need to bring back his brother, Greg.

YouTube entrepreneur Lonnie Spears is played by Matt Shively, Jr. He has an extensive resumé. I'm not sure that contract obligations account for his character's continuing presence, but in any case, hate the character, not the actor.

Right, that's the thing, fine with Shively, seen him on other shows, but Lonnie has worn out his welcome, majorly. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, I kind of wondered myself how many "opportunities" there are out there for eleven year old girls. But I don't mind the recast. In fact I didn't even realize it was a recast until I came here, and that's probably because I recognize the new girl from Life in Pieces so she was already familiar to me. I also think both girls are very similar in looks and manner.

That's interesting because I don't see them as similar in looks and manner at all.  Nothing against the new actress, she seems fine, but for me she doesn't feel like the best replacement for this role.  Of course I kind of think Julia Butters is unique and is hard to match.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

That's interesting because I don't see them as similar in looks and manner at all.  Nothing against the new actress, she seems fine, but for me she doesn't feel like the best replacement for this role.  Of course I kind of think Julia Butters is unique and is hard to match.

I agree and being that this is the fifth season to make the change causes more problems. Not that American Housewife isn't the first show to do this. Has been going on for years, but as many have said changing Taylor from the pilot to now wasn't much a change as the show as brand new. Shows that had the most glaring change of actors in an establish roles were: Fresh Prince when they changed Aunt Viv, the Becky switch out on Rosanne, Kristin on Last Man Standing and Darrin from Bewitch. They were such switches audiences did head turns. They weren't anywhere near the personalities of the originals and they then switched the writing to "fit" those actors and it didn't work. I see them trying to make 'new' Anna-kat be like the old, but we will see. The only thing they can really change is if the shows stays on another couple of years, her growing up will fit in line with the character. But honestly, I wish they would have switched out the Principal and gone in a different direction with the school admin instead of: "Ummm... me Principal Skinner, I'm anal and my mother will beat me if I get out of line and I'm in my early 50s... duh!"

• Love 3

Just got around to watching this. Weird watching a season premiere that felt more like a season finale. Anna Kat 2.0 seemed a little stiff,  but I think she'll figure it out soon enough. The more Cooper, the better. Same goes for Trip.  Enough with the YouTube guy.

• Love 5

I wonder if Cooper moving in with them is setting up for a Covic storyline. They can't have Cooper running in and out.

I hope not (please don't) but if they do, I hope it's stories about Katie scheming to obtain toilet paper and Greg learning to bake bread. I have enough grim and political "real life" Covid related stories from other shows. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I wonder if Cooper moving in with them is setting up for a Covic storyline. They can't have Cooper running in and out.

I hope not (please don't) but if they do, I hope it's stories about Katie scheming to obtain toilet paper and Greg learning to bake bread. I have enough grim and political "real life" Covid related stories from other shows. 

The problem is, then Lonnie would be stuck with them too. Oh God...

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Court said:

I found the new Anna-Kat quite jarring. It kept taking me out of the episode

Every time she said a line, I immediately had a mental image of Julia Butters saying the same line. I guess that's how my brain works. Hopefully that goes away, because it is distracting.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, readster said:

Please, no! Hopefully if they go there they relegate him to a running Zoom joke.

Besides, where would they put two extra people on a long-term basis? Their house isn't that big. IIRC, they don't have a spare room other than Greg's office. (I'm guessing Oliver and Cooper will share his room.)

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I had that thought too.

8 hours ago, readster said:

Lonnie's thing is the internet, right?  He can annoy Greg via Zoom.

• Love 2
On 11/1/2020 at 8:28 AM, Kip Hackman said:

Every time she said a line, I immediately had a mental image of Julia Butters saying the same line. I guess that's how my brain works. Hopefully that goes away, because it is distracting.

Same

I don't like the new Anna-Kat. I'm sure she's a fine actress but I kept imagining how Julia Butters would've said those lines. Anna-Kat used to be one of my faves. This actress plays her too bland for my taste.

Edited by Aryanna
  • Love 6
On 11/2/2020 at 8:36 PM, chitowngirl said:

I think the new Anna Kat will be fine once the writers stop writing for Julia Butters and start writing for the new actress.

Even if they do that it's still going to be hard after 4 seasons for the audience to get used to a new actress AND what is essentially a brand new character when the original actress was a major part of the show and her character had such a unique and special relationship with the other characters/family members.  This is not like replacing Chris on the Partridge Family.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7