Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

Sew Sumi

S11.E05: A Baby Girl for Joe & Kendra

Recommended Posts

Quote

Jeremy takes a skateboarding lesson with former pro skateboarder Brian Summer; Kendra goes into labor; as contractions intensify quickly, her birth team worries that her doctor might not arrive in time.

Airs August 4, 2020

Haven't we already had a birth special? As for Jeremy, snore. Never heard of the skateboard dude.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

Those Duggar kids are feral. Not sure what Joe and Kendra were thinking asking them to "clean" other than they needed something to film. Got what they asked for I guess.

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Joe and Kendra had a baby girl? I DIDN'T know that! What fresh news! 😝

You need to put that under a spoiler tag. None of us knew, at all!

I was watching sports. Should know better than to go on the internet before I watch the episode. 😤

/s

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 14

Share this post


Link to post

I saw this thread title earlier and honestly thought "wait, what? They're having another girl? Already?" And then I remembered that the show is so far behind 🤦‍♀️

  • Laugh 14

Share this post


Link to post

Just now tuning in... Mad at myself as there were moments a few years ago that I thought Joe was different.  Each week it is increasingly obvious I was wrong.   Did he really ask her to vacuum 2 weeks prior to birth??  gtfo

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post

The Duggar boys are nothing if not insensitive. One of the endearing traits passed on from their buffoon of a father.

  • Love 21

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Just now tuning in... Mad at myself as there were moments a few years ago that I thought Joe was different.  Each week it is increasingly obvious I was wrong.   Did he really ask her to vacuum 2 weeks prior to birth??  gtfo

To be fair, we also saw her confirming with him that he was going to bathe their little boy when she handed him the pajamas while she was showing signs of going into labor.   I actually considered that progress in this bunch.  Obviously the bar is so low you have to pick up the carpet and dig for it.   Nonetheless I was surprised, if nothing else that JB would allow that notion to make it to the airwaves.

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Out of all of them I hate seeing Kendra in pain.  It just seems way too personal and she is so young.

I know and it's not like an epidural is even a possibility for her.  

What is it with epidurals & these ladies? There was no need for Jinger to explain why she ended up getting one. It sounded like she was apologizing for getting one even though it worked & sped things up.  Sure is different than the Bates girls who make sure they pick up their epidurals when they check in.

I know Lauren had problems with her epidurals.  Did Abby get one?(Sorry, i dont remember & can't wait til next week's episode to find out or did they do all the birth episodes last night & I fell asleep?)

 

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

I don't remember what birth it was  but I thought the EMT said Jessa lost a unit of blood. 

Can any of our medical people explain how much this is & how severe it is?  Well I guess it's not good when it gushes out of you all at once after childbirth. 

Of course, Jessa made it sound like it was a walk in the park, like she had a paper cut after it was all done. 

Thinking back, I think it was Spurgy's birth. She said she got  Pitocin at the hospital after Ivy's birth.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

I don't remember what birth it was  but I thought the EMT said Jessa lost a unit of blood. 

Can any of our medical people explain how much this is & how severe it is?  Well I guess it's not good when it gushes out of you all at once after childbirth. 

Of course, Jessa made it sound like it was a walk in the park, like she had a paper cut after it was all done. 

Thinking back, I think it was Spurgy's birth. She said she got  Pitocin at the hospital after Ivy's birth.

An actual unit of blood is 250 cc of packed red cells.  Of course the blood in our veins is diluted with plasma, so losing a unit would mean about a 500 cc blood loss.  However, 500 cc is a normal amount to lose in childbirth, so Jessa obviously lost more than that.  Since she probably didn't get routine prenatal blood work, it is also possible she was anemic to start which would've made a smaller blood loss more clinically significant.

In general, there is no specific amount of blood lost that would trigger a transfusion except in cases of massive hemorrhage which would be well over a liter.  We base the decision to transfuse on the patient's overall age and condition (elderly and people with chronic health problems are going to need blood sooner than a healthy young person), the amount of blood already lost as well as what the anticipated loss might be if the bleeding is not under control, what the patient's blood count was to start and, then, over time, how symptomatic is the patient (are they dizzy when they get up?  Are they unable to walk a short distance, etc?).

In maternity patients, a normal hemoglobin level is around 12. though there is a range.   Most postpartum women,  who had a hemorrhage but whose bleeding was then under control, would probably not need a transfusion unless their blood count was less than 7.  Once again, these are general ranges for young, healthy women and one size does not fit all.

  • Love 5
  • Useful 14

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Those Duggar kids are feral. Not sure what Joe and Kendra were thinking asking them to "clean" other than they needed something to film. Got what they asked for I guess.

I noticed during the group shot of all of them cleaning in the living room (I think) Josie was "vacuuming" with a child's push toy.  How old is she again?  11?  I keep wondering if she's delayed or just a brat.  Or possibly both?

  • Love 11
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ratings are in:  1.022 M viewers and a .17 rating.  45th cable show of the day.

Clip show at 10:01:  872 K viewers and a .13 rating.  62nd cable show of the day.

8:00 PM retread of last week:  472 K viewers and a .07 rating.  98th cable show of the day.

  • Love 1
  • Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post

Didn't they already show Kendra's birth?  Eh, I guess Jeremy and his holy roller friend couldn't carry the whole hour.

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Ratings are in:  1.022 M viewers and a .17 rating.  45th cable show of the day.

Clip show at 10:01:  872 K viewers and a .13 rating.  62nd cable show of the day.

8:00 PM retread of last week:  472 K viewers and a .07 rating.  98th cable show of the day.

From 23rd to 45th? Ouch.

  • Love 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Evidently my falling asleep in the middle of this shit show demonstrates my good sense since there is very little to talk about.

I deserve a medal. Or a ride in a go cart, oh Jilllll!

  • Love 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

So is Kendra's mother going to attend all 47 of her births to make sure she keeps breathing? Is this not a sign to Kendra and what's his name that maybe the baby train isn't the best idea? Bah no, they will soldier on for Jesus.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

Is it really the case that all women in the hospital get two transfusions or whatever of Pitocin after giving birth, as per Jessa? Because that's not the case in Canada.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Jessa didn't have a transfusion after Ivy, but she was given Pitocin. She only had a transfusion after Spurgeon.

  • Love 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Why do they insist on acting like there were ever 19 kids in the house? Josh was married with Mack on the way before Josie was even conceived, and by then the older daughters had long been running the show. Give it up, already. 

Ugh, poor Kendra. So young, and trained to "keep sweet." Someone needed to advocate better for her in that delivery room. The baby is crowning, but hold it in until the doctor finishes a delivery in a different hospital? Nah. I wouldn't have entertained that idea for a hot second, and if for some reason I'd been rendered mute my husband and/or mom wouldn't have stood for that. 

That poor girl makes me sadder than most of the others. She's clearly very fertile and this lifestyle is going to kill her, mentally if not physically. 

Edited by Squirrely
  • Love 17

Share this post


Link to post

2 minutes ago, Squirrely said:

Why do they insist on acting like there were ever 19 kids in the house? Josh was married with Mack on the way before Josie was even conceived, and by then the older daughters had long been running the show. Give it up, already. 

Ugh, poor Kendra. So young, and trained to "keep sweet." Someone needed to advocate better for her in that delivery room. The baby is crowning, but hold it in until the doctor finishes a delivery in a different hospital? Nah. I wouldn't have entertained that idea for a hot second, and if for some reason I'd been rendered mute my husband and/or mom wouldn't have stood for that. 

That poor girl makes me sadder than most of the others. She's clearly very fertile and this lifestyle is going to kill her, mentally if not physically. 

And isn't it dangerous to not push and try to hold off the birth? I seem to remember a second cousin of my ex who tried to hold of the actual birth and who's son was born with developmental disabilities. I also thought it was also the case with Rosemary Kennedy. 

  • Love 9
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, CouchTater said:

I noticed during the group shot of all of them cleaning in the living room (I think) Josie was "vacuuming" with a child's push toy.  How old is she again?  11?  I keep wondering if she's delayed or just a brat.  Or possibly both?

I believe she turned 10 last December-ish. I was pregnant with my daughter when she was born and my daughter turned 10 in June. So during this episode she was probably 9, almost 10? My daughter might pick up a kids toy to play around, but she is very capable of vacuuming and most other easy house chores (not that she always does them willingly or decently)

  • Love 4
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I also thought it was also the case with Rosemary Kennedy. 

Yes. They delayed Rosemary's birth for 2 hours. 😞 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

Is it really the case that all women in the hospital get two transfusions or whatever of Pitocin after giving birth, as per Jessa? Because that's not the case in Canada.

A transfusion means being given blood, which, no, all women in the hospital do not get a transfusion.  As for pitocin, it has been shown in multiple studies that giving a woman pitocin either as an injection in a muscle or diluted in IV fluids helps prevent postpartum hemorrhage which, of course, is the situation that leads to needing a transfusion.  Women who receive pitocin are significantly less likely to become anemic or need a transfusion after delivery.  Most people would think the benefits outweigh the risks.  Pitocin, BTW, is chemically identical to oxytocin, a hormone produced in the brain which also causes uterine contractions.

While I would expect that most practitioners in a hospital setting would recommend giving pitocin after delivery and most labor and delivery nurses would give it fairly automatically; any patient can refuse any treatment at any time.  I have certainly cared for patients who declined pitocin after delivery, especially back in the days when women wanted unmedicated births and no interventions.  I explain what I feel to be the advantages of pitocin and they can have it or not.  If they refuse, they do understand that I am going to want to give it if they have excess bleeding after delivery and I've never had a problem with the woman agreeing to it in that situation.

  • Love 4
  • Useful 9

Share this post


Link to post

I was surprised to hear Jeremy talk about being arrested and drinking. Have we heard about his arrest before? That seems like new information to me. I would have assumed we had a copy of his arrest record by now if this board knew about an arrest. Lol.

Anyway, I hate to admit it, but Jeremy was impressive on his skateboard. It’s not an easy sport to pick up, at all. So watching him figure out how to ride a board up and down ramps did impress me a bit. Of course, he’s still an arrogant jerk, and I love how every time we meet one of his friends, that friend mentions Jeremy’s ego on camera. 

It was also nice to see Henry do so well with his speech therapy testing. He’s a cutie, and I was impressed by how much he knew and could communicate. He has come a long way, so kudos to Ben and Jessa for helping him get there. 

Finally, poor Kendra! Please give that sweetheart of a girl a freaking epidural next time. 

  • Love 13

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Squirrely said:

Why do they insist on acting like there were ever 19 kids in the house? Josh was married with Mack on the way before Josie was even conceived, and by then the older daughters had long been running the show. Give it up, already. 

 

This. The producer who asked the question surely knows this and JB and Michelle surely know it and we all know it so why??? Also Josh was married even before Jordan was born and by the time Josie was born, Jana and JD were a month off being 20, Jill was 18 and Jessa 17. Hardly a houseful of "kids". When they talk about 19 kids, they always make it sound like they were all small children at the same time when in reality the older ones were adults when the younger ones were born. 

Edited by AussiesRule
  • Love 12

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, CouchTater said:

I noticed during the group shot of all of them cleaning in the living room (I think) Josie was "vacuuming" with a child's push toy.  How old is she again?  11?  I keep wondering if she's delayed or just a brat.  Or possibly both?

I think it was producer driven & TLC  thought it would be funny showing her using the toy vacuum. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yeah, Josie was more hindrance than help. Why was she even there?

So she could be out of sight, out of mind in the TTH.   It's likely whoever was assigned to mind her for the day was at Joe and Kendra's.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/5/2020 at 8:31 AM, flyingdi said:

Out of all of them I hate seeing Kendra in pain.  It just seems way too personal and she is so young.

yeah but Momma Caldwell is the best  under pressure to handle the births of her grandchild.. I can see the love.. I can see the care, she knows what and how to do.. focusing on Kendra...

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post

Whoa - I feel bad for Jill.. no mention of her or contribution to the grandchildren brood... Just a couple of glimpses...

Same is true for Josh's kids - and he holds the current record of grandchildren...

Damn at least show the kids of Josh/Jill photo in the birth order.. No need to punish them.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Fallacy said:

I was surprised to hear Jeremy talk about being arrested and drinking. Have we heard about his arrest before? That seems like new information to me. I would have assumed we had a copy of his arrest record by now if this board knew about an arrest. Lol.

Anyway, I hate to admit it, but Jeremy was impressive on his skateboard. It’s not an easy sport to pick up, at all. So watching him figure out how to ride a board up and down ramps did impress me a bit. Of course, he’s still an arrogant jerk, and I love how every time we meet one of his friends, that friend mentions Jeremy’s ego on camera. 

 

D&D... drunk and disorderly.

Probably paid the fine after a night in jail , posted a modest bond and re-found the Lord , which made the task of  doing community service easier.

The scene of night jail as man as good looking as he is, probably also made him re-find the Lord real quick too.

https://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/videos/jeremy-vuolo-opens-up-about-drunken-arrest-in-counting-on-shocke/

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, sATL said:

Damn at least show the kids of Josh/Jill photo in the birth order.. No need to punish them.

Got to make sure everyone else in the cult knows they can be erased at any time.

  • Love 2
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Fallacy said:

I was surprised to hear Jeremy talk about being arrested and drinking. Have we heard about his arrest before? That seems like new information to me. I would have assumed we had a copy of his arrest record by now if this board knew about an arrest. Lol.

Anyway, I hate to admit it, but Jeremy was impressive on his skateboard. It’s not an easy sport to pick up, at all. So watching him figure out how to ride a board up and down ramps did impress me a bit. Of course, he’s still an arrogant jerk, and I love how every time we meet one of his friends, that friend mentions Jeremy’s ego on camera. 

It was also nice to see Henry do so well with his speech therapy testing. He’s a cutie, and I was impressed by how much he knew and could communicate. He has come a long way, so kudos to Ben and Jessa for helping him get there. 

Finally, poor Kendra! Please give that sweetheart of a girl a freaking epidural next time. 

I'm pretty sure the board was discussing his arrest a few years ago. I've been here since 2015 (though patchy in my participation at times), and I remember us discussing Jeremy's arrest before now. I'm not entirely sure when though. We've also discussed some woman on Twitter who was talking about doing keg stands (or something suitably drunken and rowdy) with him. LOL

Edited by Zella
  • Love 15

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, we've definitely spent time talking about Jeremy's stint in the drunk tank and his born-again conversion. We had a good laugh since it was pretty much just normal college shenanigans.

  • Love 14

Share this post


Link to post

I'm sure the kids at the skate park really adore having that guy going around trying to "bring them to christ". Just go do something productive you moron, nobody wants to hear your preaching. And he's probably like Jill who pushes and pushes until they say I"M IN just to get him to go away. Then go about their business.

  • Love 6
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

The thing with Jeremy was that he didn't think he was being a good ENOUGH Christian. I don't think he ever totally lost the faith of his youth; he was just not "honoring God," as he put it. 

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, sATL said:

D&D... drunk and disorderly.

 

I first read D&D as Dungeons and Dragons but Jeremy is not clever enough for that. Plus he’d be a dead bore.  

  • Love 3
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

I first read D&D as Dungeons and Dragons but Jeremy is not clever enough for that. Plus he’d be a dead bore.  

You know he'd roll up a cleric or a paladin every. single. time. and would wander around proselytizing. Plus, he'd want to follow his god in real life, not one from the D&D pantheons. I think even the good character I'm playing in one of my current (Zoom-based) campaigns would feel justified in killing him.

  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post

Wait, they are showing Bin's Lasik surgery next week? Ok these people officially have nothing going on in their lives. And I cannot take eye stuff, nope not watching now.

But uh in their world view- if God wanted Bin to have perfect eyesight, wouldn't he have provided him with that? Isn't Bin correcting one of God's mistakes? Things that make you go hmmm.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 17

Share this post


Link to post

Lasik is two weeks. Next week is a repeat of Bella's birth.

And no, they don't have jack shit going on. 

  • Love 6
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/5/2020 at 9:42 PM, Squirrely said:

Ugh, poor Kendra. So young, and trained to "keep sweet." Someone needed to advocate better for her in that delivery room. The baby is crowning, but hold it in until the doctor finishes a delivery in a different hospital?

Isn't birthing babies part of med school training no matter what the student's specialty is going to be?  Couldn't they just get on the intercom and ask if there's a doctor in the house like they do on planes?

Quote

yeah but Momma Caldwell is the best  under pressure to handle the births of her grandchild.. I can see the love.. I can see the care, she knows what and how to do.. focusing on Kendra...

My mother was briefly in the room when I was giving birth.  She thought I was making too big a deal out my labor pains and said, "Oh, it's not that bad."  She got thrown out.

I had no idea JereME was 6'3".  

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size