Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E05: A Baby Girl for Joe & Kendra

Sew Sumi
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

Isn't birthing babies part of med school training no matter what the student's specialty is going to be?  Couldn't they just get on the intercom and ask if there's a doctor in the house like they do on planes?

My mother was briefly in the room when I was giving birth.  She thought I was making too big a deal out my labor pains and said, "Oh, it's not that bad."  She got thrown out.

I had no idea JereME was 6'3".  

In many small hospitals, there may be just one doctor covering the whole hospital overnight. He or she would also be covering the ER as well as handling emergencies on the other floors.  Most ER docs have no problem whatsoever in running a code on someone in cardiac arrest, but then will decompensate entirely when called upon to deliver a baby.

In bigger hospitals, there are residents and perhaps hospitalists on labor and delivery who are OB/GYN trainees or already board certified OB/GYN.  Back when I was a resident, we would be called to stand by if the attending wasn't there yet and delivery was imminent.  This was in the days of natural childbirth with almost no one getting an epidural.  After trying to talk someone into blowing rather than pushing while holding my hand against the kid's head like a human stop sign a few times, I decided it was unnecessarily cruel.  So, when called into the room, I would tell the mother that 'Doctor So and So is on the way.  I will help you hold off pushing until he/she gets here or, you can push and I can deliver the baby, which I have done many, many times'.  I gave my little speech literally hundreds of times and cannot remember a single time that the mom wanted to wait.  Except one time when the patient was one of the L&D nurses who worked there.  Her doctor broke her water at 6 cm and, despite the fact it was her third kid and she had fast labors, he went to his office.  She told me that she wasn't going to push until he got back and, then, she planned to push so hard and so fast that he wouldn't have time to change and she'd ruin his suit, 'because he deserves it.'  She was a woman of her word.

Any veteran L&D nurse has also caught her share of babies while waiting for the doctor or midwife to get there and they do a fine job, too,

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 9
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Her doctor broke her water at 6 cm and, despite the fact it was her third kid and she had fast labors, he went to his office.  She told me that she wasn't going to push until he got back and, then, she planned to push so hard and so fast that he wouldn't have time to change and she'd ruin his suit, 'because he deserves it.'  She was a woman of her word.

This happened with my daughter's 7th and last birth. The stupid OB was flirting at the nurses station (was told this by the attending nurse) and kept saying he'd be right there. It was a small hospital and he was literally 20 feet away at most.  The attending nurse hollered down the hall that he needed to get in the room. His gown wasn't tied and he didn't have gloves on when LJ came and right after he handed him to the nurse, the afterbirth came out and bounced on the floor along with a ton of whatever else is in there. (I've never given birth, have no idea what is was, don't wanna know.) He was splattered with gunk from his shoes to his knees. 

Edited by Nysha
  • LOL 13
  • Love 4
On 8/5/2020 at 4:10 PM, CouchTater said:

I noticed during the group shot of all of them cleaning in the living room (I think) Josie was "vacuuming" with a child's push toy.  How old is she again?  11?  I keep wondering if she's delayed or just a brat.  Or possibly both?

I think it was because she would rather play than clean, and I don't blame her there. But who knows. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Cherry Cola said:

I think it was because she would rather play than clean, and I don't blame her there. But who knows. 

Josie's older sisters were raising babies at her age. She should have helped clean for real.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Josie's older sisters were raising babies at her age. She should have helped clean for real.

She sure could, but that wasn't my point. I figured she maybe didn't want to. And I feel bad that older sisters had to do that at their age. They should have been allowed to be kids, not raising their mom's babies. 

Edited by Cherry Cola
  • Love 5