Type keyword(s) to search

Season 21: All Episodes

• Start Topic

I wateched! Interestingly, I noted that the copyright at the end of the episode was 2018. Have they been sitting on these episodes that long? Or were these shown in Canada but not in the US until now?

• Love 3

There's a Canadian channel called Slice (Bravo equivalent) that ran 2-3 seasons of Intervention Canada around that time. I assume this came from that, although I thought I watched the whole series and I don't remember this one. 

Andrew the interventionist reminds me of a big shambling comedian. Up on the stage to deliver his weary monologue.

That isn't a criticism. I really like him and know he's effective, but I had that random thought while watching the episode.

Every time Melanie picked up her kid and manically tossed him around, goosed him, ran across the room with him, I wanted to hose her down with cold water.

The adults seemed clueless that a little child was in their midst, listening, during their terse arguments and complaining. I'm pretty sure he's facing a lifetime of relationship problems. Hopefully not addiction.

• Love 2

That was one sad family. Of course Melanie relapsed. I hope her kid stays with Grandma Paulette long term. I didn't blame the sister for being done, done, done. The brother we never saw was apparently too done to even make an exception for the intervention. Can you imagine how frustrating it must be to try to have a relationship with your parents and your nephew with all the child support, time, and energy spent getting Melanie her crack?

Melanie was a living example of the idea that people stop maturing at the age they started doing drugs. Only a 13-year-old could bitch how unfair it was to set up a 4-year-old's party in a way that was uncomfortable for HER.

I loved that when Grandma Paulette was pushed over the frustration line, she broke into French.

• Love 6

I watched all of the Canadian seasons, but have not seen this episode either. 

I knew Melanie would relapse when they showed her at the 3 month mark, looking good but talking about what a great mom she had always been, no matter "what else was going on" or however totally inocuously she phrased it. Lots of hubris and denial and zero remorse, accountability, ownership, and general devestation for what she had done to her self, her life, her son, and her other family members. 

I notice the BSOJ did not tell us if her family held their bottom lines. 

It was kind of nice to hear the OG musical cues and "Five Steps" song at the end.   

If this is going to be a "new" season, should we have individual episode threads?

• Love 3
On 7/22/2020 at 2:24 PM, TVbitch said:

If this is going to be a "new" season, should we have individual episode threads?

If I understand the commercials, this is supposed to be a new season. I think individual threads would be great. The threads that encompass the whole season are not favourable, too much scrolling. (carpal tunnel is real, man  LOL) 

(edited)

There was something else going on with her besides addiction.   She needed medication because she was self medicating: i think her addiction counselor knew that but politely phrased it as ‘she’s a real firecracker’. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2

Robin once overcame a drinking problem to become a successful pilot, but the stress of being away from his wife and children drove him back to booze.  It didn't take log before Robin's problems destroyed his career and family. 

Original air date 2020.07.27

• Love 1
(edited)

Intervention Canada.  The accents, the chronic drinking culture which has destroyed so many, the obese, enabling family members and or the obese fed up family members. .... all too familiar just south of the border.  

Edited by fonfereksglen

It seemed that Robin’s childhood was fine, other than he was a little vertically channeled and teased for it.  However his size never stopped him from doing  anything he wanted.  He drank to excess in college and didn’t pursue learning to fly(his cherished dream) until his friend pushed him into it after college.  He quit drinking to fly until he had to spend some  nights alone on the  road.  

They make these things called books, Kindles, laptops, etc.  online learning.  He could have filled up that time in other ways.  He simply chose not to.   I do not think he was an alcoholic in that he could stop - he just didn’t want to.  

my guess is he relapsed eventually: 

• Love 3

This was not a satisfying episode. I need more insight.

When Robin was talking about his rehab stint, he said how they dug down deep inside him and brought a lot of things to light, but I was like, um, what things? His biggest challenge in life seemed to be that he was insecure about being a bit short. One would think doing great in school, becoming a success in an amazing dream job, making some good friends, marrying, and having kids you love might level out your self esteem. But then he got lonely when away from his family for a few days doing his dream job, so he had to drink to the point of losing everything. Whuh?  

I was thinking, well, maybe he just likes to drink. I was an alcoholic and I get that. ...but then all of the footage of him drinking, he was the most miserable drunk ever. He just stared into space looking sullen, sat a picnic bench drinking warm beer, or fell all over the place. He never seemed to have any kind of high, relief, or even peaceful oblivion from it. It was weird. I couldn't figure him out. Maybe he has severe underlying depression that went untreated or something. 

• Love 5

It seemed like he got hooked when he was working in the restaurant & they all “partied” after shifts, and it just spiraled. He also didn’t seem to have very good coping skills; he struck me as immature.

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, TVbitch said:

When Robin was talking about his rehab stint, he said how they dug down deep inside him and brought a lot of things to light, but I was like, um, what things?

I'm pretty sure we can just blame Michael Bolton and whatever went down during those visits to Utah (seriously, dude -- think of better places you've flown to). 😉 Really, though, for someone who was that much of a mess, they never revealed much of anything substantial besides "got lonely and missed my family." Great. How's the pandemic treating you? It was an odd episode...or maybe all the Canadian episodes are a bit more like this? *shrugs*

Edited by tljgator
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I think Melanie has ADHD. Even after she was clean for 3 months, when her son came to visit her at the treatment facility, she was hyper and manic. It’s like she can’t sit still. 

Chelan was a devoted wife and mother until the breakup of her marriage sent her spiraling into the world of prescription opioid abuse; three years later, Chelan is homeless, works as a prostitute and is no longer allowed to see her three little boys.

Original air date 2020.08.03

It was mentioned very briefly that he always had anxiety. I think he began drinking as a young adult to cope with that.

As I watched, I wondered how many other pilots are up there with a slight buzz on?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

It was mentioned very briefly that he always had anxiety. I think he began drinking as a young adult to cope with that.

As I watched, I wondered how many other pilots are up there with a slight buzz on?

It made me think of the Denzel Washington movie Flight, in which he played a pilot who is an alcoholic.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

It begs the question that given these two choices, would it be better to have a drunk pilot, or one who is depressed and riddled with anxiety?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I’m betting quite a few. I thought it was common knowledge that alcohol is the vice of choice for pilots and that many are alcoholics and are buzzed on the job. 

On 7/29/2020 at 11:22 AM, tljgator said:

I'm pretty sure we can just blame Michael Bolton and whatever went down during those visits to Utah (seriously, dude -- think of better places you've flown to). 😉 Really, though, for someone who was that much of a mess, they never revealed much of anything substantial besides "got lonely and missed my family." Great. How's the pandemic treating you? It was an odd episode...or maybe all the Canadian episodes are a bit more like this? *shrugs*

I think this episode was from 2018, though new on AE in the US.  

I have found all the Canadian produced episodes to be very low key, which I prefer.  

36 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Original air date 2020.08.10

Let me guess....was it Oxycontin?

It's so despicable that these pharmaceutical companies get away with creating a nation of drug addicts. It is truly American Greed.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

Let me guess....was it Oxycontin?

It's so despicable that these pharmaceutical companies get away with creating a nation of drug addicts. It is truly American Greed.

This is a complicated issue. Since these new episodes are Intervention Canada, it will be interesting to see the ease of availability of opiates in another country, with a completely different health care system.

I do not disagree with the easy availability of addictive drugs in the US.  Almost exactly a year ago, my then 76 yo husband had emergency spinal surgery in his lower neck.  He was offered fentanyl!  Seriously.  😬

I forgot the exact name of a book I read last year about the Oxy epidemic in the USA. I think it was called " Dopesick" or "Dopesick Nation". The pharmaceutical company that produced Oxycontin was offering physicians very elaborate perks for buying and prescribing Oxy for any and every type of pain. 

Oxycontin was developed to manage EXTREME pain in people who were in the final stages of cancer and in hospice. However, doctors were being compensated for buying/prescribing it (to their non-terminally ill patients)with cruises, vacations to exotic locations etc. 

And the next thing you know, we're a nation of heroin addicts. It's a true example of American greed by the pharmaceutical companies. It's heartbreaking.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Every little Canadian kid who can skate fast is NOT heading to the NHL. If Nathan were real pro hockey material, he would have been groomed a lot more than what we saw...no hockey pics after 7 yrs of age. I know Intervention loves the story of potential greatness lost to addiction, but every seven-year old is NOT the next Wayne Gretzky. 

• Love 8

I think they were selling the hockey thing as something he could do besides doing heroin. Glad he got help. He seemed calmer, less angry. His adolescent behavior was so obnoxious. And boy did he know how to hijack a nice, family dinner with sordid stories from his lame life.

It's always stunning to me, all the time people lose to an addiction that they're supposed to be using to build an adult life.

• Love 1

Twice the doctors prescribed this painkiller, once  even after recovery from  the first addiction.  However, I’m not sure what other painkiller would have worked with those burns and staples.  They should be required to be monitored, attend counseling and pain management while on that.

He seemed so different in the follow-up. So mature and calm. 

I have mixed feelings about his parents. One of the few parent couples I have seen that show themselves to be so obviously at the very end of their rope.  Mom was such a screamer ( but yet an enabler).  His Dad, while obviously at the end of his rope, was just so angry and embarrassed that his good family name was being sullied by his drug addicted son.  I’m not sure that relationship will ever recover. 

• Love 3
On 7/29/2020 at 10:24 AM, Empress1 said:

It seemed like he got hooked when he was working in the restaurant & they all “partied” after shifts, and it just spiraled. He also didn’t seem to have very good coping skills; he struck me as immature.

Yep.  As a veteran of the restaurant/business biz, I was one of the few who didn't party to excess.  I can see how someone, especially someone less mature and with other underlying problems, could fall into that lifestyle where substance abuse is rampant.  I've learned in the years since that many of my former colleagues have died as a result.  Alcoholism, drug overdoses, etc.  

Edited by theajw
On 7/22/2020 at 2:10 PM, IvySpice said:

That was one sad family. Of course Melanie relapsed. I hope her kid stays with Grandma Paulette long term. I didn't blame the sister for being done, done, done. The brother we never saw was apparently too done to even make an exception for the intervention. Can you imagine how frustrating it must be to try to have a relationship with your parents and your nephew with all the child support, time, and energy spent getting Melanie her crack?

I loved that when Grandma Paulette was pushed over the frustration line, she broke into French.

I hope the father of her child saw this episode and noted that the child support money he’s sending is being spent on crack. I am so over these enabling parents who will send their kids to the grave in the name of “helping” them and “love.” The road to hell is paved with the best of intentions. I guess they get a few points for taking their grandchild to live with them, but they still don’t have full custody so she could take him back anytime she wanted and she’s still allowed to see him.

I did find it interesting that the boyfriend who was so great and whom she pushed away has nothing to do with his child. Makes me wonder how great he truly was.

The mom seemed just indifferent and just doing whatever Melanie wanted. Maybe she was just tired after all these years in dealing with her addiction and had given up trying to fight her on it, if she ever fought her on it at all. 

Melanie was a living example of the idea that people stop maturing at the age they started doing drugs. Only a 13-year-old could bitch how unfair it was to set up a 4-year-old's party in a way that was uncomfortable for HER.

Indeed. She is a complete drama queen. Everything that is a self-centered 13 year old. I mean her behavior during the intervention was at times over the top, and honestly came off fake. That said, she does seem to have mental health issues. She was still bouncing off the walls even after three months of treatment. 

Sadly I wasn’t surprised when she relapsed. It seems to be rare for those who started using so young to get clean and stay clean for an extended period of time. It’s like the addiction becomes a fundamental part of who they are, which makes it impossible for them to escape it. Very sad. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2

I agree with all that big pharma definitely plays a role in the opioid crisis. However, I got the feeling that even without the knee injury that sent him on the road to heroin, Nathan might’ve still ended up on a destructive path. 

His family admitted that before the heroin he was a partier but didn’t “think” it involved hard drugs. Then his knee gets busted up not because of hockey, but due to him being involved in a bar brawl. He gets addicted. Gets clean but continues to hang out with troublemakers which resulted in him getting severely burned, and of course leads back to drugs. 

I didn’t finish the episode because honestly I was bored. I don’t know what it is but Intervention is not as good as it used to be. According to someone up thread Nathan did get help and was still on the path to recovery at the end of the episode. Glad to hear that. Hopefully he will be successful this time and stay clear of the rowdy friends and behavior. 

• Love 1

That scene in the drug den (crack house?) with the other drug users partying was so eerie — like out of a movie! 😱

Laughed out loud when Nathan suggested that the guests set up their own beds! Something a petulant 4 year old would say.

The eldest brother was well spoken  - when Nathan said he’d been in jail three times (or whatever), eldest brothers reaction was “why does he say that like it’s an accolade??!!” Well said.

Felt for the poor younger brother who really only ever knew Nathan as a drama causing, attention hogging drug addict.  

I’ve watched Intervention since the Cristy days and this latest batch of Canadian episodes hasn’t been bad IMO. They feel more real and raw, like the earliest seasons of the U.S. version.

• Love 6

I don’t think she’s got too much time left.  So sad.  Maybe if mom sticks to not enabling there’s a chance for her. 

When it says at the end that the addict left rehab I often wonder if the family pays to bring them back home. Otherwise they’re in in a strange place, no money, no family, don’t know anyone. If they can’t get home because the family won’t help... it might be more of an incentive to return to rehab.

Edited by Pondlass1
  • Love 3
On 8/26/2020 at 11:09 AM, Pondlass1 said:

I don’t think she’s got too much time left.

She looked close to death to me too, but according to the comments on the update page, she is alive and still using. They say she moved in with a much older man. So it seems her mother and that group at least are holding their bottom lines. 

• Useful 1

I watched this week's episode (aired on 9/14) and of course I cannot remember her name. But she was the 22 (?) year old who refused rehab and then 5 days later went. And then left. And is now living with her mom (good boundaries there, Mom.) Though the mom clearly had no boundaries and was going to raves with her daughter and had drugs lying around when the kids were growing up that were readily available. I don't have much hope for this addict or her family. 

Of course, the dad didn't believe the kids when they were telling him back in the day that there were drugs around. I wonder how many lives would have been improved if adults would believe their kids when they told them bad things, like drug use, or molestation/abuse? Just a thought. 

I'm going through some stuff with an addict who has already been to rehab 3 times, was sober once for a stretch of about 15 years, and now their life is in the toilet. Unwilling to help themselves in all aspects of life and seem to be fine with being in their 50's and having zero source of income, living with someone who is a complete enabler. Ugh. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, hookedontv said:

I watched this week's episode (aired on 9/14) and of course I cannot remember her name. But she was the 22 (?) year old who refused rehab and then 5 days later went. And then left. And is now living with her mom (good boundaries there, Mom.) Though the mom clearly had no boundaries and was going to raves with her daughter and had drugs lying around when the kids were growing up that were readily available. I don't have much hope for this addict or her family. 

Of course, the dad didn't believe the kids when they were telling him back in the day that there were drugs around. I wonder how many lives would have been improved if adults would believe their kids when they told them bad things, like drug use, or molestation/abuse? Just a thought. 

I'm going through some stuff with an addict who has already been to rehab 3 times, was sober once for a stretch of about 15 years, and now their life is in the toilet. Unwilling to help themselves in all aspects of life and seem to be fine with being in their 50's and having zero source of income, living with someone who is a complete enabler. Ugh. 

Natasha.  She and her mom were a damn mess.  Her mom is really one of the worst that I've seen.  And dad just didn't want to deal with anything so he left the kids to rot in the drug house the mother created.  Wow. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, hookedontv said:

Stuff like this terrifies me!  I've been sober (from alcohol) for 2 years now and it is so scary to think how easily any addict can be sucked back in.  I'm sorry you are going through this.  I guess it is a good reminder for me to always remain vigilant.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ThatGreyCat said:

Stuff like this terrifies me!  I've been sober (from alcohol) for 2 years now and it is so scary to think how easily any addict can be sucked back in.  I'm sorry you are going through this.  I guess it is a good reminder for me to always remain vigilant.

2 years sober is great - good for you and congrats, that's a lot of hard work!

• Love 5

That mom was a piece of work. To be all sorry about being an enabler at the intervention, and then take Nathasha back in as soon as she left rehab. ....ugh! 

I was also an addict, and I can say that the best way to further undermine the addict's self esteem/motivation is to shame them (with that smirk on your face) with questions about what their plans are for the future, or don't they want to come eat holiday dinner, or asking if they high right now (when they are obviously high) is so fucking stupid! 

I'm betting neither mom or dad followed through on their therapy either. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, hookedontv said:

2 years sober is great - good for you and congrats, that's a lot of hard work!

Thank you!  I truly appreciate the kind words.  

49 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

That mom was a piece of work. To be all sorry about being an enabler at the intervention, and then take Nathasha back in as soon as she left rehab. ....ugh! 

I was also an addict, and I can say that the best way to further undermine the addict's self esteem/motivation is to shame them (with that smirk on your face) with questions about what their plans are for the future, or don't they want to come eat holiday dinner, or asking if they high right now (when they are obviously high) is so fucking stupid! 

I'm betting neither mom or dad followed through on their therapy either. 

Yeah, I agree.  That whole scene was frustrating to watch.  And there is no way the mom followed through on her therapy.  I hope Natasha is able to get better some day.

• Love 2

I think Dad was being truthful.  He probably has avoided people who do drugs his entire life and therefore hadn’t  seen that many people high - except  for his ex-wife.  He also only saw his daughter a few times a year, especially once she turned 18 and didn’t travel to his location. Another one of those type B personalities with the caveat that he did care about his daughter. 

The mom was just  not a very bright person.  How could you possibly raise your children around drugs and parties and think you hid it from them? 

I knew Natasha wasn’t going on intervention day.  No matter what anyone else thought, she didn’t believe she had a problem.  I’m surprised she went 5 days later. She’s perfectly happy with her life and will be until she lives on the streets and maybe even until the drugs kill her.