Type keyword(s) to search

Season 21: All Episodes

• Start Topic

On 9/17/2020 at 11:07 AM, TVbitch said:

That mom was a piece of work. To be all sorry about being an enabler at the intervention, and then take Nathasha back in as soon as she left rehab. ....ugh! 

I was also an addict, and I can say that the best way to further undermine the addict's self esteem/motivation is to shame them (with that smirk on your face) with questions about what their plans are for the future, or don't they want to come eat holiday dinner, or asking if they high right now (when they are obviously high) is so fucking stupid! 

I'm betting neither mom or dad followed through on their therapy either. 

think this shows how addiction can be a family disease, whether it's generations of addicts or the enabling that becomes part f the family dynamic. If often seems like the best answer would be for the addict to getting far away from their family and current environment as possible.  However, from a practical standpoint, that is rarely possible.  

On 9/19/2020 at 8:38 AM, mythoughtis said:

I think Dad was being truthful.  He probably has avoided people who do drugs his entire life and therefore hadn’t  seen that many people high - except  for his ex-wife.  He also only saw his daughter a few times a year, especially once she turned 18 and didn’t travel to his location. Another one of those type B personalities with the caveat that he did care about his daughter. 

I didn't recognize signs of physical effects of alcoholism with a few friends because I had not really seen it before.  With that said, I took some time to learn more about it.  IF I had a daughter who was an addict, I would damn well get all the information I could about the disease. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

With that said, I took some time to learn more about it.  IF I had a daughter who was an addict, I would damn well get all the information I could about the disease. 

I agree.  Once he knew his daughter was an addict, he should have learned more.  I meant that he was being truthful about thinking that their Mom wasn’t exposing them to drugs, and not recognizing that Mom probably had a drug issue back in the day...and that b) he didn’t see  his daughters addiction until someone told him. He did seem to know she was addicted before the dinner at the restaurant 

Edited by mythoughtis
13 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I agree.  Once he knew his daughter was an addict, he should have learned more

True, but people don't always do what they should.  His method of coping might have been to completely stay in denial, and researching the addiction would not go along with that.  

• Useful 3