Type keyword(s) to search

The Indiana Jones movies

• Start Topic

(edited)

Honest Trailers just made one about the Indiana Jones trilogy(they already made a Kingdom of the Crystal Skull trailer years ago). Didn't see a thread to put it in so I decided to start one!

And here are clips from the movies:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I liked The Crystal Skull, it's better than Temple of Doom.

I'll show myself out now 😉

The latter is the first Indy movie I ever saw so I like it despite it's flaws. I also like Crystal Skull. 

I will always love Temple of Doom because of Amrish Puri's* (wonderful Bollywood actor who played Villains, but sometimes played a good guy) willingness to play such a ridonkulous role and went ALL IN!

We also had Roshan Seth (Nehru in Gandhi) playing a wackadoo.

*Played a great supporting character/minor role in Gandhi.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I will always love Temple of Doom because of Amrish Puri's* (wonderful Bollywood actor who played Villains, but sometimes played a good guy) willingness to play such a ridonkulous role and went ALL IN!

We also had Roshan Seth (Nehru in Gandhi) playing a wackadoo.

*Played a great supporting character/minor role in Gandhi.

I love the way he delivered his lines. "You don't believe me? You will Doctor Jones. You will become a TRUE BELIEVER!" and "You are in a position unsuitable to give orders!"

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Temple of Doom is a better film in most ways, but Crystal Skull doesn't have Willie in it, who may be the single most annoying love interest in the history of film, so it's kind of a push IMO.

• Love 8
(edited)

The way I look at Willie Scott, she's a screwball comedy character who ended up in an adventure movie by mistake.

I always wondered how different the movies would have been if Tom Selleck had gotten out of his Magnum PI contract and played Indy as originally intended.

tom-selleck-indiana-jones-screen-test.jpg.f5c121a37e637fc9efd3077dd622f09d.jpg

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

but Crystal Skull doesn't have Willie in it, who may be the single most annoying love interest in the history of film, so it's kind of a push IMO.

But hey, it got Steven Spielberg a wife, so you know... good for him!

• Love 5
On 7/7/2020 at 2:36 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm not going to disagree. However, Temple of Doom Harrison Ford is just so fucking hot I can barely deal with it. Best way to watch the movie is to just turn the sound down because there's a LOT of annoying noise in that one.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
58 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

I'm not going to disagree. However, Temple of Doom Harrison Ford is just so fucking hot I can barely deal with it. 

His personal trainer for the movie was Jake as in "Body by Jake". What's funny is TOD is a prequel, set in 1935 while Raiders takes place in 1936, so in one year Indy lost quite a bit of muscle mass! 

downloadfile.thumb.jpg.5cded05bd6f50e22d9fa4bd0a2848ea8.jpg

c1de1a3fdde713d7ac16131b9dfed32ed54ab976r1-1007-1536v2_uhq.thumb.jpg.72b1c993b15aa638a6c13478229647ef.jpg

Edited by VCRTracking
On 7/15/2020 at 6:11 PM, VCRTracking said:

What's funny is TOD is a prequel, set in 1935 while Raiders takes place in 1936

Wow, I had no idea about this! But makes total sense now that I've read up on it. When I was old enough to finally really understand the concept of these movies, I always wondered why they went Nazis--Black Magic Slave Cult--Nazis. I was only six when ToD came out, but I remember seeing this in the theater with my family (I believe my parents must not have fully understood the new PG-13 rating), and being scared during the mine car chase scene for some reason. Funny enough, nothing else in the movie scared me, and I found Willie hilarious. In fact, I thought most of the movie was downright funny because of her...the whole reaction to the bugs in the tunnel, the way she screamed when Indy started chopping the rope bridge...I loved it. And my brother and I used to crack up at how gleefully the alligators rolled around and ripped at the cult members when they fell off the bridge. It's still my favorite of the original trilogy.

Raiders is my least favorite...or at least the one I watch the least often. I really enjoy Last Crusade, and nothing, NOTHING, is funnier to me in any of the movies than the scene where Sean Connery takes his umbrella and starts shooing the birds into the air that end up flying into the plane that was chasing them, causing it to crash. The noises he makes and the way he runs at and flaps his umbrella at the birds...crying laughter every time!

Also, I'm a little ashamed to admit that it took me several years before I realized that these movies took place in the '30s. I think seeing Temple first threw me off, because to my barely elementary school educated self, there was nothing really in the movie that would have tipped me off that it wasn't contemporary, lol. And when Crusade came out five years later, as a sequel, obviously I thought it was five years after the events of Temple. I was only really just then starting to learn about history and I didn't understand that Nazi's didn't exactly exist like that anymore, lol. And no, the wardrobe/cars/technology, etc., didn't tip me off either. I can't remember exactly when I had that "oh wait" moment, but I remember feeling really stupid when I did, haha!

• Love 6

I liked Willie and although ROTLA is the best, I have a soft spot for TOD. It was the first one I saw and the one I've seen most often. I don't deny that Willie's constant shrieking and screaming is annoying as hell, but she's an ordinary woman who was living a very sheltered and pampered life, abruptly thrust into what is frequently a utterly terrifying situation. It's completely understandable.

All things considered, she holds up pretty well--she sincerely tries to get help when Shorty and Indy are kidnapped (in a deleted scene), she jumps right in to help free the slave children, and she practically becomes a Mama Bear to Short Round despite initially being annoyed by him. I particularly that bit when she smirks at Nola Ram when Indy threatens to throw away the stones. Despite all her carrying on, she fully understands their importance.

• Love 5

Years later Kate Capshaw would be in Ridley Scott's BLACK RAIN with Michael Douglas playing another American expatriate working in an Asian nightclub, this time it's Osaka, Japan. She's like if Willie stayed s few more years in Shanghai and gotten hardened!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Sean Connery's passing reminded me how much I loved him in The Last Crusade. He was perfect to play Dr. Jones Sr.

Oh, and I have to add how much I loved the scene of Young Indy getting the fedora with the theme music swelling to a crecendo as it flash forwards to that closeup of Harrison's face with that bloodied roguish smile....excuse me, I need to take a cold shower.

• Love 12
(edited)

The comments on the Deadline article confuse me. People are like she'll play his daughter but, Crystal Skull just did the "surprise you have a son" with Mutt.  Others say Granddaughter but again we just met Mutt in the 1950s.

Unless they're pretending Crystal Skull never happened, which sucks because I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed the movie, I'm guessing she's playing someone else. Could be the villain, we did have a female villain in 3 (yes, Elsa you were a villain) and 4. 

If they're going to pass the torch to her, instead of Mutt (since everyone seemed to hate him and Crystal Skull), just make her Indy's TA at Princeton.

After watching the Goonies reunion on YouTube I was really hoping we'd get Short Round back for Indy 5. That would be cool fan service, especially after we got Marion back in 4.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Unless they're pretending Crystal Skull never happened, which sucks because I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed the movie, I'm guessing she's playing someone else. Could be the villain, we did have a female villain in 3 (yes, Elsa you were a villain) and 4. 

If they're going to pass the torch to her, instead of Mutt (since everyone seemed to hate him and Crystal Skull), just make her Indy's TA at Princeton.

I was thinking villain.  Or maybe she's a full professor (she's old enough to not be a TA) who goes to find a "retired" Indie and brings him back in the game. 

If they pass the torch, Ford could potentially take on the advisor role.  The Brody role.

Well, I wasn't at all interested in Indy 5 but with Phoebe Waller-Bridge I'm now somewhat interested.  I'd be super interested if she takes over the role though.

I've never seen Crystal Skull but I doubt it's any worse than Temple of Doom.  As far as I'm concerned there's only 2 Indy movies worth watching, Raiders and Last Crusade.  Since Indy 5 is also an odd numbered movie maybe it'll be a good one too.  One can only hope. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Matt K said:

Well, I wasn't at all interested in Indy 5 but with Phoebe Waller-Bridge I'm now somewhat interested.  I'd be super interested if she takes over the role though.

I've never seen Crystal Skull but I doubt it's any worse than Temple of Doom.  As far as I'm concerned there's only 2 Indy movies worth watching, Raiders and Last Crusade.  Since Indy 5 is also an odd numbered movie maybe it'll be a good one too.  One can only hope. 

It is worse than Temple of Doom. Crystal Skull makes Temple of Doom look like Citizen Kane. 

I’m excited for PWB. I’d love for her to take over the franchise.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 7/7/2020 at 4:36 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

Well, I like Arby's better than Denny's but neither place would I consider a truly palatable dining establishment- much less want to seek it out rather than just throw in my lot (and stomach) to endure if no other option was available.  

AFIAC, Crystal Skull was OK to endure   ( once) while Temple of Doom virtually sunk the whole enterprise but neither holds a candle to Raiders and Last Crusade.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 4

Temple of Doom and Last Crusade mirror what happened with Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker.  Temple was so different from the beloved Raiders (child slave labor! Indy smacking a kid!) that they had to course correct (Nazis, desert chases, Brody, Sallah, biblical Macguffin).  Fortunately for us they were able to stick the landing and pump out a good movie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
36 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Temple of Doom and Last Crusade mirror what happened with Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker.  Temple was so different from the beloved Raiders (child slave labor! Indy smacking a kid!) that they had to course correct (Nazis, desert chases, Brody, Sallah, biblical Macguffin).  Fortunately for us they were able to stick the landing and pump out a good movie.

Secret weapon: British playwright Tom Stoppard(Rosencranz and Gildenstern are Dead). Spielberg brought him in to do an uncredited rewrite of Jeffrey Brian's script:

https://www.creativescreenwriting.com/indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade-learning-from-stoppard/

He turned Boam's edgier, mostly action movie into a breezy father/son road trip comedy. A lot of the great father/son scenes comes from Stoppard. 

If Last Crusade had been the one to immediately follow Raiders it wouldn't have been as well liked. People would have said if was a rehash of the first one's plot while also being too light. So IMO the darkness and brutality of ToD was necessary for the franchise. It's a nightmare but sometimes you need one occasionally to appreciate some things.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Useful 3

I don't know how Harrison Ford can do another Indiana Jones movie, due to his age. I thought his running, jumping, car chase days were well behind him. 

If you have ever chance to see Raiders of the Lost Ark with a live score, it is a fantastic experience. (For those unfamiliar, the movie plays on the screen while an orchestra on stage plays the score). John Williams does an excellent job of creating themes for characters and important objects. 

One of my friends had one of the best descriptions of Last Crusade-"It's everything that was great about Raiders of the Lost Ark plus it has Sean Connery." 

I love Raiders of the Lost Ark, Last Crusade, and I did not like Temple of Doom or Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm a huge fan of all the first three movies.

They were a staple of my childhood but I have a special fondness for Temple of Doom, because it's the only one my grandma had recorded on VHS and we used to watch it when we went to her house (alternating with Empire Strikes Back and The Goonies). It did scare the hell out of me, though. The voodoo and the heart grabbing and the masses of creepy crawlies.

The Last Crusade is the only one I saw at the cinema, and I loved it despite not having a clue who Sean Connery was. Nazis, knights and an action scene with a tank. What more could a nine year old boy want?

I saw Crystal Skull once and absolutely hated it. Ford being old wasn't even the problem. Shia Labeouf is a horrendously irritating actor and the attempts to make him an action star utterly baffled me. But the over-reliance on CGI removed that vital, physical quality that the original movies had. Instead of feeling like an old TV serial, it just felt like another badly made, modern action movie.

A fifth one? I just don't see what the point is.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 6
On 5/22/2021 at 10:09 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I don't know how Harrison Ford can do another Indiana Jones movie, due to his age. I thought his running, jumping, car chase days were well behind him. 

I have no desire to see "Indiana Jones and You Damn Kids Better Get Off My Lawn!"

• LOL 5

Aw I don’t know why Temple of Doom always gets so much hate, I love that one! It’s probably my favorite of the three because it’s just so much crazy over the top fun. I first saw it as a kid and loved the total creepy weirdness & horror of the dinner scene and the bug tunnel and the spiked-ceiling crushing room, and the roller-coaster mine ride. Raiders is the better film, but Temple is just fun

I love the first and last thirds of Last Crusade but I always think that one drags a lot and gets very slow in the middle with the whole castle in Germany/Berlin diary section. 

Crystal Skull, now that is just shit. That’s not fun in a ToD way, that’s just bad. I usually try to forget that even exists. Aliens, bad cgi, ugh. The franchise went from adventure fantasy to science-fiction.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Aw I don’t know why Temple of Doom always gets so much hate, I love that one! It’s probably my favorite of the three because it’s just so much crazy over the top fun. I first saw it as a kid and loved the total creepy weirdness & horror of the dinner scene and the bug tunnel and the spiked-ceiling crushing room, and the roller-coaster mine ride. Raiders is the better film, but Temple is just fun

It is fun! My only gripe with it was Willie because she was just annoying. 

• Love 1

Temple would be crucified for the dinner scene and overall depiction of Indians if it was released today.  Although the bridge scene might be the all time greatest example of bad guy aim - you fire scores of arrows at a guy who's slowly climbing up and you can't hit him once?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Temple would be crucified for the dinner scene and overall depiction of Indians if it was released today.

There's also Raiders where the backstory had 27 year old Indiana in a relationship with 15 year old Marion, and he dismisses the accusation of having taken advantage of a child with "You knew what you were doing."

• Love 2
(edited)

Temple did get criticized a lot when it came out for it's depiction of Indians along with Willie's character being sexist. Nobody really cared about the implications of Indy and a minor in Raiders.

Karen Allen interview for the 40th Anniversary for Raiders:

The reviews online for the new 4K versions of the movies seems to be spectacular.  Even Crystal Skull looks better because they got rid of that terrible  yellowish color timing and it FINALLY looks like the previous movies. It was one of my main gripes with it. 

Indy V is currently being filmed in England. Don't look online if you don't want to be spoiled because there are already paparazzi photos of the set and locations. I will say I'm intrigued. 

Edited by VCRTracking

I just finished a rewatch of Crystal Skull.  It was the same as I remember... the first part of the movie is generally entertaining, but then it devolves into complete crap at the end with the aliens and the spaceship.  Such an odd writing choice.  Why couldn't they have made it as a traditional Indiana Jones movie... the skull would have been equally as find-worthy if it had been made out of gold.  The aliens completely ruined the movie for me.

On rewatch I softened a bit towards Shia LeBeuof.  I don't like him as an actor but I didn't mind him here, I thought he was serviceable.  I loved seeing Marian again.  I really hope that she shows up in the 5th movie, surely Karen Allen isn't doing anything, and I'd love to see that Jones had a stable marriage.  In Crystal Skull he tells her the problem with all of those other women were that they weren't her.  So I hope they made it through the ensuing 20 years.

I also liked the nods to prior movies, like the pictures of Marcus and Henry Sr on the desk, the statue of Marcus at the college, and the Ark being revealed in the airplane hangar.

On 7/7/2020 at 7:46 PM, Perfect Xero said:

Temple of Doom is a better film in most ways, but Crystal Skull doesn't have Willie in it, who may be the single most annoying love interest in the history of film, so it's kind of a push IMO.

On 8/31/2020 at 9:04 PM, Dr.OO7 said:

I liked Willie and although ROTLA is the best, I have a soft spot for TOD. It was the first one I saw and the one I've seen most often. I don't deny that Willie's constant shrieking and screaming is annoying as hell, but she's an ordinary woman who was living a very sheltered and pampered life, abruptly thrust into what is frequently a utterly terrifying situation. It's completely understandable.

All things considered, she holds up pretty well--she sincerely tries to get help when Shorty and Indy are kidnapped (in a deleted scene), she jumps right in to help free the slave children, and she practically becomes a Mama Bear to Short Round despite initially being annoyed by him. I particularly that bit when she smirks at Nola Ram when Indy threatens to throw away the stones. Despite all her carrying on, she fully understands their importance.

On 6/16/2021 at 11:49 PM, Cotypubby said:

I love the first and last thirds of Last Crusade but I always think that one drags a lot and gets very slow in the middle with the whole castle in Germany/Berlin diary section. 

Crystal Skull, now that is just shit. That’s not fun in a ToD way, that’s just bad. I usually try to forget that even exists. Aliens, bad cgi, ugh. The franchise went from adventure fantasy to science-fiction.

I am old enough to have seen all the movies in the theaters, and I too love Temple of Doom.  That one definitely sticks with me, I remember being a teen and a bit horrified when Mola Ram reached into a guy's chest and pulled out his still beating heart.  For you youngsters, this movie directly led to the creation of the PG-13 rating.

I also liked Willie.  I agree that she was annoying, but she was supposed to be annoying.  As she declared, she was happy in Shanghai and didn't ask for any of this.  She wasn't an adventurer like Marian Ravenwood or a Nazi officer like Elsa... she was a nightclub singer who got caught up in an adventure she didn't want to be involved in.  I like her song at the beginning of TOD, even if her Mandarin is terrible.

• Love 4
On 4/12/2021 at 1:17 PM, BlackberryJam said:

It is worse than Temple of Doom. Crystal Skull makes Temple of Doom look like Citizen Kane. 

I’m excited for PWB. I’d love for her to take over the franchise.

Everyone begged George to take out the aliens.

7 hours ago, Macbeth said:

Everyone begged George to take out the aliens.

This is what I recall as well. It was also the reason it took so long for a 4th movie to be made. They couldn't agree. No one wanted the aliens and George dug his heels in.

• Love 1
On 7/17/2021 at 5:44 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

This is what I recall as well. It was also the reason it took so long for a 4th movie to be made. They couldn't agree. No one wanted the aliens and George dug his heels in.

This is why I hate when fans say the prequels were terrible because he surrounded himself with "yes men". You can say no to him but he'll do it anyway! I'm sure there were people around who were like "I don't know about this Jar Jar character.." and he ignored them. Recently his ex-wife Marcia talked about when she first saw Episode I afterwards she cried in her car because of how bad it was and she thought everything in it was awful! Do you think if they were still together when he was making it she could have talked him out of anything?

On 10/18/2021 at 10:56 AM, BetterButter said:

Untitled Indiana Jones” (Disney) previously dated on 7/29/22 moves to 6/30/23

Rumour is that the 5th installment involves time travel.  And there were photos released of Harrison Ford and other actors on set, and it looks like they are in Ancient Rome.  Roman ship and lots of actors in full blown period soldier costumes.

I'm hoping this is just an opening scene to set up the origin of whatever artifact Jones and company are chasing.  And then the movie is firmly grounded in present day.   But after the ridiculousness of the aliens in #4, I wouldn't put anything past them.

• Love 2