Type keyword(s) to search

The Indiana Jones movies

• Start Topic

(edited)

SWCA 2022: 20 HIGHLIGHTS FROM LUCASFILM’S STUDIO SHOWCASE
May 26, 2022
https://www.starwars.com/news/swca-2022-20-highlights-from-lucasfilms-studio-showcase?cmp=smc|7027455325

20. Indiana Jones rides again on June 30, 2023. “I know that this is Star Wars Celebration. Here’s a little piece that is not Star Wars, but you might know it,” said Williams, just before leading the orchestra in the classic Indiana Jones theme. With that, director of the upcoming fifth Indiana Jones film, James Mangold, producer Frank Marshall, and Harrison Ford — receiving perhaps the day’s biggest ovation — took the stage.

Though no story details were discussed, Ford did offer an update on Indy’s next adventure. “We have almost completed the next Indiana Jones film, featuring the music of John Williams,” he said. “I am really proud of the movie that we made. So I’ll be seeing you around campus.”

Indiana Jones 5: Harrison Ford Shares Tearful Moment With John Williams
IGN   May 26, 2022

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

All the Revelations from the Star Wars Celebration Convention — Including Info on New Series
By Scott Huver    May 29, 2022
https://people.com/tv/star-wars-celebration-convention-new-series/ 

After teasing "here's a little piece that is not Star Wars, but you might know it," Williams conducted a rousing performance of the famous march from the Indiana Jones films, which was capped with an onstage appearance by the personification of both Indy and Han Solo himself, Harrison Ford.

"It's such an honor for me to be able to congratulate John and his fine music," said Ford. "I told John on another occasion when he had a chance to get together 'That music follows me everywhere I go.' And you know, I'm happy about it."

"That music was playing in the operating room when I had my last colonoscopy," the action star quipped. "I passed."

"We all know what John does musically," he continued, growing more heartfelt. "What you may not know, and what I've come to really appreciate, is the warmth, the generosity, the boyish spirit of this man. The most gracious man. The gentlest, kindest man, and a wonderful, wonderful talent. We're very blessed, all of us."

"We have almost completed the next Indiana Jones film, featuring the music of John Williams," Ford added, referencing the as-yet-untitled next installment, directed by James Mangold and the first in the series not to be helmed by filmmaker Steven Spielberg, due in theaters June 30, 2023. "I'm really proud of the movie that we made. So I'll be seeing you around campus."

• Love 1

Lucasfilm will have a panel featuring news about Indiana Jones 5 at CCXP22 on Dec. 1...

Google translation:

#DisneyNaCCXP is coming hard at #CCXP22 ! The panels will take place on Thursday, 12/1. Lucasfilm will bring news about the third season of “The Mandalorian” and the fifth film of “Indiana Jones”. Want more? Noon I tell you😜

CCXP22, December 1-4, 2022 (São Paulo, Brazil)
John Rhys-Davies is scheduled to be a guest at this con, but unknown if he will be part of this panel.
https://www.ccxp.com.br/en/lineup 

ETA: John Rhys-Davies is not listed as part of this panel in the con schedule.

Edited by tv echo

Ke Huy Quan’s big comeback makes me wish that we’d had Short Round back in Crystal Skull instead of Shia It would have been nice to have him interact with Marion putting up with Willie in Temple of Doom.

My friend who loves Ke in Everything Everywhere All At Once had never seen Temple of Doom or Goonies, so I introduced her to both over the weekend. And like most of us, she couldn’t stand Willie. That movie really was trying to recreate the Han and Leia dynamic and it failed abysmally.

You know, it might have made a difference if her character had undergone any sort of growth let alone uncovered a tougher side to prove she wasn’t completely useless in a crisis. But nope, she was the same basic, obnoxious, spoiled bitch from beginning to end. Not even seeing the poor village or those kids being enslaved seemed to affect her that much. Or if it did, the movie didn’t do a good job conveying it. One person on this thread said she became a Mama Bear to Shorty, but from what I could tell, he was more of a minder to her than the other way around.

Edited by Spartan Girl
23 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Ke Huy Quan’s big comeback makes me wish that we’d had Short Round back in Crystal Skull instead of Shia It would have been nice to have him interact with Marion putting up with Willie in Temple of Doom.

My friend who loves Ke in Everything Everywhere All At Once had never seen Temple of Doom or Goonies, so I introduced her to both over the weekend. And like most of us, she couldn’t stand Willie. That movie really was trying to recreate the Han and Leia dynamic and it failed abysmally.

You know, it might have made a difference if her character had undergone any sort of growth let alone uncovered a tougher side to prove she wasn’t completely useless in a crisis. But nope, she was the same basic, obnoxious, spoiled bitch from beginning to end. Not even seeing the poor village or those kids being enslaved seemed to affect her that much. Or if it did, the movie didn’t do a good job conveying it. One person on this thread said she became a Mama Bear to Shorty, but from what I could tell, he was more of a minder to her than the other way around.

Indy is a parent to both Short Round and Willie in the movie! When he tells her to eat the food the starving villagers are offering and she refuses. He's a total dad when he "Your insulting them and you're embarrassing me. EAT IT."

She didn't see the enslaved children. She had been captured. There's supposed to be a deleted scene where she runs back to the palace after the human sacrifice and is relieved to find Chattar Lal the prime minister, but then realizing he's already drank the Blood of Kali and brainwashed. She also punches that one Thugee during the mine car chase. 

My one defense of Willie is she's what makes the spike chamber scene work where it's a real nail biter. Anybody else would have freed Indy and Shorty right away!

It's funny that Kate Capshaw was in Ridley Scott's BLACK RAIN playing an American who runs a club in Yokohama. Essentially a much tougher version of Willie Scott!

I always think of Raiders as an 80s movie set in the 30s while TOD is a 30s movie made in the 80s. Raiders is an action movie with comedy in it while Last Crusade is a comedy with action. Crystal Skull is Indy in a 50s sci fi movie. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

Indy is a parent to both Short Round and Willie in the movie! When he tells her to eat the food the starving villagers are offering and she refuses. He's a total dad when he "Your insulting them and you're embarrassing me. EAT IT."

She didn't see the enslaved children. She had been captured. There's supposed to be a deleted scene where she runs back to the palace after the human sacrifice and is relieved to find Chattar Lal the prime minister, but then realizing he's already drank the Blood of Kali and brainwashed. She also punches that one Thugee during the mine car chase. 

My one defense of Willie is she's what makes the spike chamber scene work where it's a real nail biter. Anybody else would have freed Indy and Shorty right away!

Yeeeeah, I can’t really blame for for freaking out about the bugs, but then she was complaining about another broken nail when Indy and Shorty were seconds away from being killed. SMH.

Good point that she never saw the enslaved children. But I still side-eye her for her attitude about the village AND pouring perfume on that poor little elephant. Glad it got back at her though. Again, they could have written her a little better about having some empathy for the villagers instead of spending most of her time screaming and scheming to marry the maharajah or obsessing about diamonds.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:48 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Yeeeeah, I can’t really blame for for freaking out about the bugs, but then she was complaining about another broken nail when Indy and Shorty were seconds away from being killed. SMH.

Good point that she never saw the enslaved children. But I still side-eye her for her attitude about the village AND pouring perfume on that poor little elephant. Glad it got back at her though. Again, they could have written her a little better about having some empathy for the villagers instead of spending most of her time screaming and scheming to marry the maharajah or obsessing about diamonds.

She's a screwball comedy heroine who ended up in a jungle adventure by mistake. That's how I look at her.

TOD arent really isn't that scary  compared to other Spielberg movies like Jaws or Poltergeist(which he produced). I think the reason the horror upsets a lot of viewers is that it's so unexpected when it comes halfway through the movie. Most horror movies set the tone at the beginning that prepares the audience that bad stuff is about to happen, but TOD opens with a Busby Berkeley style dance number!

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Good to know, I look forward to watching the tv series again, I enjoyed it when it first ran.

I wonder if it will hold up? I remember enjoying it when it first aired but, I haven't seen in since then.

The Stars of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | U.S. Red Carpet Premiere
Star Wars   Jun 21, 2023

Harrison Ford Reflects on Playing Indiana Jones, New Adventures Come to the Disney Parks, and More!
Star Wars   Jun 22, 2023

(edited)

‘Indiana Jones 5’ Director James Mangold on ‘Pinch-Hitting’ for Spielberg and Refusing Fan Service: Franchises Have Become ‘Large-Scale Advertising’ 
By Adam B. Vary    June 23, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/indiana-jones-5-james-mangold-harrison-ford-1235650894/ 

“Harrison told me he was nervous, because he felt like if people saw him younger, when they confronted Indiana in his 70s they’d be disappointed,” Mangold says, sitting on a cream-colored couch inside his sunlit office on the Fox lot in early June.
As we converse, I begin to grasp just how much these rules have provided Mangold with the intellectual scaffolding to build a story that feels at once exciting and emotionally connected. Take that WWII prologue that had so concerned Ford. Mangold thought it was a brilliant idea, because it tackled one of his biggest issues with 2008’s “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull”: That film barely acknowledges that Indy is not only older but has aged out of the 1930s and ’40s era that he’s meant to embody.

“What’s so beautiful about the best of the ‘Indiana Jones’ movies is that thematically they know what they’re about,” Mangold says. “I didn’t feel like I knew what ‘Crystal Skull’ was about. He’s living in a world that has overtaken him — a world that has found new heroes in John Glenn or Elvis Presley. No one in the film is really thinking about the past; everyone’s focused on the future.”

Mangold says he “spoke plainly” about these feelings in early discussions with Spielberg and Kennedy about what he’d want to do with “Indy 5,” which he felt was at risk of making many of the same mistakes as “Crystal Skull.” The MacGuffin at the center of the early script, for example, “was just another relic with power, similar to the relics we had seen,” with no clear connection to Indy or what he was going through. So he changed it to the Antikythera, an ancient mechanical device invented, in the new script’s conception, by the Greek mathematician Archimedes to allow its user to manipulate time.

“Indy had spent his entire life exploring time,” Kennedy says. “Once Jim seized upon that as a theme, it emotionally resonated, frankly, with all of us, who have in excess of 40 years invested in this storytelling.”

Mangold also understood, however, that audiences would show up with an image of Indiana Jones in his prime fixed in their memories. So rather than cut the prologue, he expanded it to a 25-minute sequence set in 1944, when Indy encounters the Antikythera for the first time on a Nazi loot train. Effectively, Mangold wanted viewers to be disappointed by the shock of cutting from Indy as a younger man to Indy in his late 70s. “It might be a really good opening gambit for the present-tense part of the movie — that much about growing older in life is disappointing,” he says.

In spite of his trepidation, Ford applied himself to the sequence with his typical aplomb. “I tried to raise my voice into a higher register, which seemed to be appropriate for the age, and physically tried to move with all the grace and youthfulness that my old ass could muster,” he says. “I had not anticipated that the process of de-aging, if you will call it that, would be so successful.”
The two did talk frequently throughout the making of “The Dial of Destiny,” shot from from June 2021 to February 2022, most often about the “mechanics of things” and how an “Indy” movie should feel and move. “Steven told me, ‘Think of shooting an “Indiana Jones” movie like you’re shooting a trailer — no scene can ever last too long,’” he says.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

From the SDCC programming schedule (all times are PDT)...

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OWuY/indiana-jones-and-the-nexus-of-archaeology-history-and-punching-fascists 

Thursday, July 20 • 12:00pm - 1:00pm

Indiana Jones and the Nexus of Archaeology, History, and Punching Fascists
The Indy films have shaped the public’s view of the world of archaeology and artifacts for more than 40 years. Now with the release of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, panelists will examine the legacy of the man with the whip and the hat. What do the Indiana Jones films get right and wrong about real-world archaeological adventures? Do the antiquities collected by Dr. Jones really belong in a museum—and does he? How do historical artifacts connect to modern politics? How has Indiana Jones impacted the archaeological field? Panelists include Dr. Becca Peixotto (archaeologist, IF/THEN Ambassador), Bailey Jorgensen (historical archaeologist; collections manager, Alf Museum of Paleontology), and Kara Vetter (senior director of cultural resources, Museum of Us). Moderated by James Floyd (STEAMpop Network, Star Warsologies podcast, Star Wars Insider contributor).

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OX2y/indiana-jones-and-the-raiders-of-the-lost-lawsuit 

Thursday, July 20 • 7:00pm - 8:00pm

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Lawsuit
"You throw me the idol, I throw you the whip” is the beginning of a legal analysis of Dr. Indiana Jones. Did Indy and Marion Ravenwood have a valid partnership agreement to find the Ark of the Covenant? Did Satipo breach his fiduciary duty to Indiana at the Temple of the Chachapoyan Warriors? Does the insanity defense apply to anyone who drank the Blood of Kali? And if the U.S. government classifies the Ark of the Covenant as Top Secret, what is necessary to declassify it for a FOIA request? This is the time when a fedora is proper courtroom attire, so join a team of lawyers and judges for fortune and glory, featuring Circuit Judge John B. Owens (9th Circuit Court of Appeals), U.S. Magistrate Judge Steve Chu, Christine Peek, Mark Zaid, Michael Dennis, and Joshua Gilliland. Organized by The Legal Geeks

Edited by tv echo

I thought it was pretty good! Definitely a step up from Crystal Skull.

De-aging CGI has really come a long way, that's for sure. I appreciated that we saw an old man who was less spry than he once was but still wily. The FBI underestimated him, which is right for the character. (He underestimated / over-trusted his goddaughter, also right for the character.) The villains were cartoon cutouts, but they always are in Indy films. Good sidekicks, and loved seeing Sallah.

• Like 3