Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E12: Day 9: 10:00 PM-11:00 AM

Tara Ariano

The fuckers killed off Audrey! Damn them all to hell! Why couldn't she have a happy ending? It is so unfair. Heller's last speech about not remembering anything as his Alzheimer's progresses was so damn heartbreaking. I felt for him and Jack. I even felt a little sorry for her husband.

I did enjoy watching Jack going crazy shooting and knifing everyone to death. The beheading of Cheng was particularly enjoyable.

Fitting ending, Jack exchanging himself to the Russians for Chloe. I thought that the helicopter would explode killing him.

At least Belcheck and Chloe survived.

• Love 4

I thought Jack would just beat Cheng to death, but once the katana was put into play, decapitation was assured. Ah Audrey, you would've had a much simpler (and longer) life if you'd never met Jack Bauer. Heh, the only females who've survived in Jack's life are Kim and Chloe.

Ending was a little too Season 5, but otherwise this season was the goods.

• Love 1

I got the exact same vibe from this as Buffy season 6, or any given Sarah Rees Brennan book, where it feels like the writer is screaming in your face "Look how DARK and EDGY we are! Love us!" Like that's enough to make a good story.

• Love 1

While I thought the ending was lame (Jack is with another foreign government.  Swell.) other then that I thought the season was good.  Quite a downer ending thought. 

• Love 1
(edited)
Heller's last speech about not remembering anything as his Alzheimer's progresses was so damn heartbreaking.

And I thought he was going to say that he was grateful that he wouldn't remember Audrey's death

I thought for a second he was going to behead him on camera! But glad he did it in Audrey's name.   Aww Audrey, noooo! DAMN IT!

Did Jack put something in Chloe's hand?

It was nice to see Chloe's crazy eyeliner had finally disappeared at the end.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1

Yeah, I can't help but feel that Jack In Limbo In [insert Nation Here] has been done on this show enough now that it's a little worn out.  The writers clearly wanted to leave an opening in for more 24 later on and have it be plausible... but this show has already reanimated Tony from being dead when they wanted him to be dead the first time, so the bar is pretty low there.

Oddly enough I ended up being most pleased that Belcheck lived, followed by Chloe and Kate.  They can get together again and fight crime.  Or more accurately, Kate can lose her mind while Belcheck and Chloe toss strange one-liners at each other.

Audrey dying mostly served to make it easier for Jack to go slightly nuts (as in Season 1 and Season 8) and so that he could disappear with less on his conscience.  Hey, on the bright side, she doesn't know that her Richard Cranium of a husband sold Jack out.

Jack needs to kill Cheng dramatically.  How should he do it?  How about this TOTALLY RANDOMLY-PLACED SWORD?  Nobody expects a sword!  Except that we already had Jack kill someone by impaling them through the floor with a fireplace poker.

Anyway, quick overall thoughts: They still did a lot better with the show by shortening it by half.  Ridiculous coincidences of plot aside, it kept on moving, there were no filler sidebars involving bear traps or CTU family members or four-hour plot digressions, and dammit I'm going to miss this show.

• Love 10

I got the exact same vibe from this as Buffy season 6,....

As is the ep Seeing Red, where they have you suckered in for a happy ending then pull the rug out from you?   Grrr...argh

(edited)

Was this the only episode ever that had two silent clocks?

The ending was a bit predictable, but was fairly satisfying.

So hoping the Kate/Chloe/Belcheck trio will rescue Jack on a future Day 10. 

Edited by WhyOhWhy
  • Love 1
(edited)

Actually, when Jack grabbed the katana I was expecting Cheng to say "I'm not Japanese, you God damn racist!"

Terrific finale!  I can't believe they killed off Audrey although on this show I shouldn't be.  Jack's love interests have to be sacrificed at the alter of his man pain. 

Good lord, Kate, can you wait until AFTER Jack has secured Cheng before you tell him about Audrey's death?  Jack is Jack so he waits until he's confirmed Cheng's identity but still, it was dumb.  At least Heller's staff waited until the crisis was over.  Jack going all hulk was pretty awesome though.  He was going to kill himself at first though, wasn't he?

Audrey's dead but Belcheck lives!

Heller telling the Prime Minister he wouldn't remember anything was brutal.  A tremendous musical score in that scene too.

They've definitely set up another season and the government better stand up to the Russians about holding Jack prisoner.  The Russians have pulled crap in the last two seasons and have no moral leg to stand on.

They do have a cast for another season.  I enjoyed this season and I think the shorter season really worked.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 9

Well, I thought, at least Audrey didn't have to see her husband executed for treason.

Didn't care for the ending. I agree the Jack in limbo has been overused in the past. I would have preferred a more upbeat ending, even if it left the future open.

I just lost a long post due to permission problems, and not for the first time :(

So this time I will just include the first sentence of that post:  Audrey died for nothing.

(edited)

Both the Colonel and Heller, for the final time, pronounced nuclear as "nucular." At least the Admiral pronounced it correctly.

Where was Colin Salmon and his dodgy Yank accent for the finale?

Jack was only in London for a short period of time and yet he said "five MILES away" like a true Brit.

I thought one of the final scenes would involve Simone snapping out of her coma, vowing to live another day for The Cause.

Edited by TimWil

That was absolutely awful. They killed Audrey for nothing, and now Jack is right back where he's been so many times: in a murky limbo. I think the season overall was quite good, probably ranking somewhere in the middle of the 9 seasons, but the finale really screwed it's chance of climbing into the top-tier.

After such an awful finale I think the only path forward for this series is now a reboot: bring Kate back, as the main character, and never look back.

Hey, on the bright side, she doesn't know that her Richard Cranium of a husband sold Jack out

True. Never thought about that.  Even though I actually did want her to find out. At least the creep told Jack that Audrey loved him.  Heh, wasn't expecting a SHUT UP! with  a pointed finger in return.

Jack needs to kill Cheng dramatically.  How should he do it?  How about this TOTALLY RANDOMLY-PLACED SWORD?
  Ha!

Except that we already had Jack kill someone by impaling them through the floor with a fireplace poker.
whoa! Really? Oh you have to refresh my memory on that one @WhoAmIWorkingFor (you'd think I'd remember something like that!)

On another note:

Stupid Audrey shouldn't have tried to save her friend. Once she realized her friend was still alive, the thing to do would have been to try to hide that fact so that she might still be alive when help arrives. Not tell the Chinese over the phone that her friend is still alive so that they know to make sure.

• Love 3

I actually liked the ending, but then again I never made it through any of the previous seasons of 24 so it did not feel repetitive to me.

I know that Keifer Sutherland claims that it is the end of 24, but it is hard to believe that he won't do another season a couple years from now when he is bored and acting work is slow coming .

(edited)

whoa! Really? Oh you have to refresh my memory on that one

Season 8. That was a full 24 hour season, so Jack's grief-filled rampage over Renee took a few episodes and many, many men. That's why Moscow's so hot for Jack. He killed everybody.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 3

Heller's last speech about not remembering anything as his Alzheimer's progresses was so damn heartbreaking.

And I thought he was going to say that he was grateful that he wouldn't remember Audrey's death

I thought he was saying that - just not in those words.

In addition to feeling bad for Heller and Jack, I also felt bad for Kate. All she could do was keep apologizing to Jack.

Overall, I liked the ep but did feel meh on Jack going with the Russians. Although, I can see why they did that to keep their options open.

I wonder if Jack got his pardon.

• Love 2
whoa! Really? Oh you have to refresh my memory on that one @WhoAmIWorkingFor (you'd think I'd remember something like that!)

@AimingforYoko already covered the season in which it occurred, but I'll add that they revealed it by having the one living Russian guy babbling in a phone call that Jack killed everyone while they panned up the room through the carnage, including the aforementioned stabby stabby.  It was quite impressive.

Stupid Audrey shouldn't have tried to save her friend. Once she realized her friend was still alive, the thing to do would have been to try to hide that fact so that she might still be alive when help arrives. Not tell the Chinese over the phone that her friend is still alive so that they know to make sure.

Yep, pretty much when she did that I yelled at the screen "Well she's dead now, you fool."  Audrey, you spent a year in China with the guy, you should know by now that he's not the sympathetic sort.  The only thing we didn't have was Cheng giving some really clever pre-mortem one-liner about it.

Random stuff:

It seemed like thirty guys got onto the ship with Cheng.  I don't figure they all fit on the truck.

It was a straight sword more in the Chinese style, so it wasn't a katana.  It was still a freakin' sword that someone was carrying around with them.  It's like GI Joe!  "You all get machine guns, that guy gets a flamethrower, you get a sword."

• Love 1

I'm kind of surprised at the ending. I thought Belcheck, as agreed, would a.) shoot Jack dead before he got on the helicopter, or b.) shoot down the helicopter with Jack in it.

They needed the Audrey dies plot twist.

• Love 3

Actually, when Jack grabbed the katana I was expecting Cheng to say "I'm not Japanese, you God damn racist!"

Terrific finale!  I can't believe they killed off Audrey although on this show I shouldn't be.  Jack's love interests have to be sacrificed at the alter of his man pain. 

Good lord, Kate, can you wait until AFTER Jack has secured Cheng before you tell him about Audrey's death?  Jack is Jack so he waits until he's confirmed Cheng's identity but still, it was dumb.  At least Heller's staff waited until the crisis was over.  Jack going all hulk was pretty awesome though.  He was going to kill himself at first though, wasn't he?

I thought so, too. There was no reason for him to take out his pistol and then put it back after hearing the Chinese.

I could tell from the preview with Jack looking teary that Audrey was going to die. I was yelling at Kate when they were so blithely walking in the open after taking out the sniper. Too confident it was over. Kate did screw that up. And, yes, why the hell did she call and tell Jack about Audrey's death in the midst of his mission?

God, I felt for Heller. I think he's now looking forward to the dementia oblivion. Brutal, indeed.

Dammit, I really wanted Audrey to make it.

• Love 1
(edited)

How did the Russians know Chloe was at the docks and managed to mobilize and kidnap her in minutes ?

Perhaps Boris Badenov/The Russian Walrus/I Don't Even Know The Guy's Name, His Face Is So Ridiculous actually did tell his superiors that they'd gotten a line on Jack, after Cheng called him about Jack being around, so they dug up even more convenient on-call mooks to go after Jack and the override at the one place they figured that everyone would be showing up; when they arrived and found that the place was about to be crawling with Everybody Except MI5 Or Anyone Else British, they grabbed Chloe instead.

Speaking of which... turns out that proving that Cheng Zhi was temporarily alive was more important than actually securing the override?  I don't think they actually showed where the device itself wound up, and for all Jack knows Cheng could have dropped it off in the mail somewhere.

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor
  • Love 3
(edited)

In another. 24 time thread, someone joked about Audrey having Cartwright blood.

Looks like Jack is the true one, Audrey is the fourth or fifth lover to die?

Jack has definitely got Cartwright blood and I would say Chloe does too.  She lost a husband, a lover, she used to date that guy Milo,  not to mention a shitload of friends, bosses, and colleagues.  And of course, her son.  Saving Jack seems to me the only thing that would stop her from also putting a gun in her mouth.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Afterlife: Jack's Anonymous Meeting.

Hi, I am Terri Bauer.
I knew Jack. He made me pregnant.
I bore a beautiful daughter for Jack.
I dated a mercenary, I am dead now.

Hi, I am Nina Myers.
I knew Jack. He bedded me well.
I still betrayed Jack.
I killed his wife, I am dead now.

Hi, I am Claudia Hernandez.
I knew Jack. His Spanish tongue beckoned.
I betrayed my drug lord lover for Jack.
I listened to him, I am dead now.

Hi, I am Renee Walker.
I knew Jack. He taught me torture.
I blindly followed Jack.
I became like him, I am dead now.

Hi, I am Audrey Raines.
I knew Jack. His enemies tortured me.
I really loved Jack.
I wanted his babies, I am dead now.

Jack is Entil'Zha
We lived for the one.
We died for the one.

Edited by Watcher0363
  • Love 19

Did anyone even bother to ask if Jack recovered the override device from the freighter ?

I was wondering the same. The override device just disappeared. For a second, I thought that Chloe ran off with it.

You know, I felt sorry for Mark.  He did one wrong thing, trying to hand over Jack to the Russians, and now he's going to prison, his wife is murdered, his boss is losing his mind, etc.  He wasn't a bad guy, he just did something stupid.  In the world of 24, is he one of the only characters to actually go to jail for a crime?

• Love 2

In the world of 24, is he one of the only characters to actually go to jail for a crime?

Kate's husband went to jail for treason after he was framed by Navarro (Benjamin Bratt's character), but that was before Day 9 started.  And then committed suicide in prison.

(edited)

It sounded like President Taylor was headed that way, too.

Taylor also sent her daughter to prison after Season 7.

I wonder who the new president is.  Only thing that was confirmed is that the VP is a dude.

I felt sorry for Mark too, even though he was an idiot.  Tate Donovan did a terrific job this season.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

Here's an interview with the producers about the finale.  They say that this episode was conceived as an ending.  They're not ruling anything out but right now, this is the end.  What thing interesting that Manny Coto said and I was thinking the same thing at the end, is that his fantasy would be that Jack arrives in Moscow and is told by the Russians that they actually need his help.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/14/24-live-another-day-showrunners-on-the-finale-the-dangers-of-drones-and-jack-bauer-s-future.html

• Love 5
(edited)

It's occurred to me before after previous seasons, but now, after 206 hours of this, it feels like the show's lasting theme after all this time is that Jack's job sucks, because the price for saving the world is having most of his friends killed, betray him, get killed by him after they betray him, getting sold out by his country, spending lots of vacation time in foreign places with no good views, and generally not have anyone actually know about anything that he actually did.  It's some Biblical level of selflessness there.

What thing interesting that Manny Coto said and I was thinking the same thing at the end, is that his fantasy would be that Jack arrives in Moscow and is told by the Russians that they actually need his help.

That would be mind-bogglingly hilarious.

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor
  • Love 3

I thought for a second he was going to behead him on camera! But glad he did it in Audrey's name.   Aww Audrey, noooo! DAMN IT!

Did Jack put something in Chloe's hand?

It was nice to see Chloe's crazy eyeliner had finally disappeared at the end.

(edited)

The acting CIA station chief was wrong. Kate was right to quit. Her negligence got Audrey killed. The first thing that she should have done was put Audrey somewhere safe. Instead she stands around in the park out in the open

That would be mind-bogglingly hilarious.

It would be. 

Edited by SimoneS

Well, this was effectively either The End, or set-up for another season. They could get away with either.

Heller telling the Prime Minister he wouldn't remember anything was brutal.  A tremendous musical score in that scene too.

That music sounded like Barber's Adagio (the music used in the film Platoon) with a few notes changed to skirt copyright issues.

I also wondered why the fate of the override device was left out of the finale. A victim of being OUT OF TIME! to wrap up all the loose ends. Like what happened to not-quite-dead Simone.

I agree that Kate should bear responsibility for Audrey. A stroll through the park is perhaps unwise after foiling a sniper standoff. How about sit tight under cover until the CIA backup arrives?

(edited)

How did the Russians know Chloe was at the docks and managed to mobilize and kidnap her in minutes ?

They were tipped off by the series writers who then helped them manage the logistics in no time.  Literally, no time..

Edited by green
  • Love 4
(edited)

Season 8. That was a full 24 hour season, so Jack's grief-filled rampage over Renee took a few episodes and many, many men. That's why Moscow's so hot for Jack. He killed everybody.

My favorite part of that is when they cut to a hotel room and you see the the aftermath of Jack's rampage with the bodies on the floor and the camera moves up to see final guy crawling on the floor trying to reach a phone  band Jack stabbing him in the back with a fireplace poker!

Heller's speech to the British PM made me cry.

Edited by VCRTracking