Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E12: Day 9: 10:00 PM-11:00 AM

Tara Ariano

(edited)

Four of us. Maybe it's with Behrooz.

Part of me thought 24 would actually go there and have Jack eat his pistol.

When Chloe was rushing back to the car I was hoping it was to take cover and Jack would Bourne Identity his way out of the helicopter so he and Chloe could drive off into the sunset. What can I say, I like my endings tied up nice and pretty.

I thought my sound cut out but the article posted above reminded me. Silent clock as he flew off. 

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 2

I'm going to guess that Jack persuaded Heller to give Chloe full pardons also, since even if the deal to get her back from the Russians did work, he probably wouldn't want her to have to continue living as a fugitive for the rest of her life.

Something that handled itself in the 12-hour gap; usually an entire terrorist plot and a half would fit into that space.  I can only imagine a very awkward set of conversations between President Heller, Jack, and Kate during that span.  It was also mentioned several weeks ago on this forum that Jack probably still knows too much to be left alone walking the earth, so I can only guess that he had to slip away in order to make the trade with the Russians.

Not to mention that once again Americans blew the hell out of a Russian diplomatic site and everyone in it, so it would be really odd for the US to just let Jack roam around again.  Maybe Heller got his dander up and decided to play hardball with the Russians about their attempt by proxy to start a war between the US and China... but then Jack turns himself over to them anyway.

The things that happen when this show actually skips time...

So hoping the Kate/Chloe/Belcheck trio will rescue Jack on a future Day 10.

That would be excellent. Tony could join in. As far as that idea about the Russians getting Jack so they can ask him for help - that would be interesting, too. I mean, they didn't cuff him or even search him for weapons before he got in the chopper...

Well, that was seriously intense (not that I expected otherwise). I can't decide whether or not I'm angry that they killed off Audrey. The President's reaction, both at the moment he heard the news and in the scene with the coffin, was absolutely heartbreaking. I teared up when he was talking about forgetting, too.

As soon as Audrey died, I started anticipating how exactly Jack would kill Cheng. I didn't see the sword coming (though it looks like Cheng had a few seconds to - heh), but it was satisfying, especially coming after how Jack took out everyone else and incapacitated his old nemesis.

I do hope Chloe actually got pardoned, because otherwise it wouldn't really be that safe for her to check in on Kim & co., which would make me very sad. But I assume Jack would have seen to that.

Well, I was worried the the finale would suck.  And while I was disappointed in the way it ended, I felt it didn't truly suck.

Gee, that was awful nice of that 2nd sniper to wait until Audrey had Kate and the other agents around her, instead of just shooting her when the original sniper got the go ahead to shoot.  Oh well, maybe he was hung up in traffic.  And that guy was good getting away -- he must be the Chinese Jack Bauer!   

I've gone on record saying that Audrey wasn't my favorite character ever.  Nothing against the actress -- just never really cared for the character.  But have to admit her scenes when interacting with Jack were pretty good this time.  And I thought killing her that way was pretty high on the pointless scale.  Not *quite* as bad as the demise of Renee, but it's on the top 10 list.  And it's sad that Mark lives (ok, for now before he's executed) and it's Audrey that ends up biting it. 

Yes, it was enteraining to see Jack add to the body count.  And the magically appearing katana wielded by Jack will go down as one of the memorable scenes of the series.  But I thought the best, most emotional scene was Heller talking to the P.M.  Just sad, heartbreaking, and agonizing scene to watch. 

Glad they didn't kill off Chloe.  But still annoyed she had to be taken prisoner so that Jack would wind up in Russian hands.  That was truly a downer ending for me.  We saw something similar to that before when Jack was taking the slow boat to China and became a prisoner of that country.  Didn't want it to see it repeated again.  Was kinda hoping in the final scene, it should Jack taking control of the helicopter and THEN have a fade to black scene.  Oh well.  Or it simply would have been nice seeing Jack and Chloe arm and arm going into the sunset, if they truly wanted this to be a final, final hour of 24.  Guess though that would violate the biggest commandment of 24:  "Jack shalt not ever be happy!"

I did like the compressed version of the show.  As others have mentioned, far less filler and it kept the pacing pretty good throughout the season.  It did lend to cutting stuff out that I would as a viewer would like to know.  Like how did Cheng ambush that Audrey meeting with not one but TWO skilled snipers inside 15 minutes?  And how did the Ruskies find Chloe so quickly as well?  Even a throwaway line would have been nice. 

All in all though, I enjoyed this season quite a bit.  Really hope they have at least one more season.  How were the ratings?  Hopefully it would be good enough for another go at it. 

I loved Jack telling Chloe she was his best friend. It almost made me tear up, lol. I was so worried they were going to kill her in this one, but with the way it ended I'm now 100% convinced that she is the only other character they would never kill off, as long as the show has a possibility of continuing.

I would love to see Chloe, Belcheck and Kate team up to rescue Jack. Tony too! That would be such an awesome premise for Day 10 already, it has to happen.

• Love 7

I'm going to guess that Jack persuaded Heller to give Chloe full pardons also, since even if the deal to get her back from the Russians did work, he probably wouldn't want her to have to continue living as a fugitive for the rest of her life.

Something that handled itself in the 12-hour gap; usually an entire terrorist plot and a half would fit into that space.  I can only imagine a very awkward set of conversations between President Heller, Jack, and Kate during that span.  It was also mentioned several weeks ago on this forum that Jack probably still knows too much to be left alone walking the earth, so I can only guess that he had to slip away in order to make the trade with the Russians.

Not to mention that once again Americans blew the hell out of a Russian diplomatic site and everyone in it, so it would be really odd for the US to just let Jack roam around again.  Maybe Heller got his dander up and decided to play hardball with the Russians about their attempt by proxy to start a war between the US and China... but then Jack turns himself over to them anyway.

The things that happen when this show actually skips time...

Blowing up the Russian diplomatic posts should be considered a wash considering the crap they've pulled over last two season of 24.  Heller should tell the Chinese that the Russians are the ones they should turn their anger towards.  Of course, Cheng's dead and won't be telling anyone but still...

• Love 1
(edited)

Oops.  They forgot to pick up the override device.

Meh.  This season was kinda hit or miss.  The reduced number of episodes worked.  The storyline was basically recycled.  As I've been saying each week the setting in London was completely irrelevant.  Audrey's death didn't move me, but Chloe briefly reaching for Jack's hand as they spoke to each other one last time did.  The best thing about this season was the introduction of Kate, even though she did make one enormous error.  Well, Jack is far from perfect too.

I did love when Belcheck told the minion to turn off the ship engine, he immediately said ok and did it, no arguing, no shooting, and he lived another day.  Heh.

Regarding Mark's fate, was anyone else in the room when his treason was revealed?  I mean, Jack's gone, the Pres suffers from Alzheimers, the Walrus is dead... where is the evidence?

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

Kudos to the cast and crew for a  brilliantly scripted, directed and acted finale.  

Heller's scene with the British PM, Jack's scene upon learning about Audrey, Kate's reaction to Audrey's death, the scene where they came to take Mark away, Chloe and Jack at the end, even Heller's aide when he learned of Audrey's death- I could go on and on.  But Kim Raver, of whom I have never been much of a fan, blew me away.   She was an integral part of the first half of the show, spoke only once, and managed to convey such emotion.   She was amazing. 

I can quibble with some minor details but won't because I'm going off to read the Manny Coto interview.

• Love 3

I never cared for the Audrey character so her death didn't bother me or surprise me.

What thing interesting that Manny Coto said and I was thinking the same thing at the end, is that his fantasy would be that Jack arrives in Moscow and is told by the Russians that they actually need his help.

I'd love to see another season of 24 with Jack Bauer back, along with Chloe and Kate.

• Love 3
And, yes, why the hell did she call and tell Jack about Audrey's death in the midst of his mission?

Jack told her to keep him informed of every step she took. 

I would love to see Chloe, Belcheck and Kate team up to rescue Jack. Tony too! That would be such an awesome premise for Day 10 already, it has to happen.

They are gathering their resources,forming a plan and calling in favours as I type! (They should show up there expecting they are breaking him out, only to find out Jack is working with the Russians and he needs the ex-CTU Crew to assist!)  

We also need another season to find out more about Belchek....he's very bit the bad ass Jack is but 100% more mysterious....

That was one mother of a bleak ending for all the characters. I didn't expect Jack to ride down a rainbow on a unicorn, but can't the man have some semblance of peace? 

• Love 3

Here's an interview with the producers about the finale.  They say that this episode was conceived as an ending.  They're not ruling anything out but right now, this is the end.  What thing interesting that Manny Coto said and I was thinking the same thing at the end, is that his fantasy would be that Jack arrives in Moscow and is told by the Russians that they actually need his help.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/14/24-live-another-day-showrunners-on-the-finale-the-dangers-of-drones-and-jack-bauer-s-future.html

So, basically, it'd be Asylum of the Daleks?  That would be the most brilliantly fucked-up thing they could do (and since the Russian arc is pretty much the last arc standing, AIUI--particularly now), though then you get to the question of "Who would the Russians fear enough that they'd release Jack Bauer to deal with them?"  (Dream crazy-ass Day 10: Behrooz and Naked Mandy.)

• Love 1

Blowing up the Russian diplomatic posts should be considered a wash considering the crap they've pulled over last two season of 24.  Heller should tell the Chinese that the Russians are the ones they should turn their anger towards.  Of course, Cheng's dead and won't be telling anyone but still...

I can envision an irony: A scenario during the missing 12 hours where Heller, who is in an extremely bad mood (and maybe there's actually more useable evidence left over on Walrus's phone), wrangles the Russians and Chinese into a US-agreeable position.  Unfortunately, since Jack didn't tell anyone that Chloe was being used as a bargaining chip for him, Jack still gives himself up when there might have been another way to get her out.

So Jack's off to get tortured somewhere else but this time Audrey's dead. At least they didn't kill off Chloe, I kept thinking that if they off her then I'm not coming back to this show. But they played it smart, this way Chloe will be alive to check in on Jack's daughter and granddaughter, she can reunite with Tony, Belchek and Kate to try to rescue Jack or be there to assist him when he's released. I think killing Audrey was the right call, all things considered, as the season went on I started feeling that her romance with Jack had run its course and she was the most disposable one nearest to Jack, in order to keep the personal stakes high. Besides, just like with Renee, they are building up a new romance (if you can call it that) with Kate but this time there won't be an Audrey stumbling block. 

I didn't watch this season all the way, but I cheated and caught the last episode. I wondered if the show might actually have Jack eat his eat his gun before the end, too. Sutherland did a really nice job with the scene where Jack learns of Audrey's death, I thought. Jack's  "Everyone I love dies" expression was harrowing.  Devane was equally heartbreaking, as mentioned upthread, in Heller's final scenes. Devane's a total pro, and a very underrated actor, I think.

I was sorry to see Audrey die; DoDder kind of grew on me, after a while. I was also sorry to see Kate essentially circle back around to feeling like a failure again, and hand in her badge, much as she did in the first episode.

Am I wrong in thinking that Season 1 Chloe would have said "I never said I was your best friend, Jack; I said I was your only friend." 

• Love 1

What was the body count in this episode alone?  A few dozen, committed by Jack?  He went psycho when he got the news about Audrey, no more stealth action.

This must be cartoon or video game violence.

They had to kill Audrey so that Jack could go on his killing spree.  Since Jack would have to know of Audrey's death, Kate had to immediately call Jack and tell him while he is in the middle of a mission to prevent World War III (yeah, he wanted to be updated, but she could have let Jack believe Audrey was safe for a bit so he wouldn't have to deal with Cheng when he was grieving).  Killing off Audrey while she was supposed to be protected by Kate also provides Kate with a reason to quit the CIA, go rogue, and save Jack from the Russians (wishful thinking on my part).

I know this show plays fast and loose with reality, but is it possible that a person could have alzheimers and is less than a year away from completely loosing their memory, yet is able to function as good as Heller did? He had no signs of alzheimers that I recall, other than taking the pills - he wasn't fumbling for words or forgetting names or information, even after a long, very stressful day.  Alzheimers needed to work this way in the world of 24, but does it work this way in the real world?

As soon as Audrey died, I started anticipating how exactly Jack would kill Cheng. I didn't see the sword coming (though it looks like Cheng had a few seconds to - heh), but it was satisfying, especially coming after how Jack took out everyone else and incapacitated his old nemesis.

When Heller was talking to the Chinese president about getting proof, I said that I hope Jack walks into the room with Cheng's head, and only his head, in his hand.  When Jack grabbed the sword, things looked promising....  I came so close....

• Love 1
What thing interesting that Manny Coto said and I was thinking the same thing at the end, is that his fantasy would be that Jack arrives in Moscow and is told by the Russians that they actually need his help.

Yeah, I thought the same thing.

Did the sniper who shot Audrey ever got caught?  We saw him get in a car which drove off.  A loose end for Kate and Chloe (who never met in person, right?) to handle in a DVD extra.

Speaking of which... turns out that proving that Cheng Zhi was temporarily alive was more important than actually securing the override?  I don't think they actually showed where the device itself wound up, and for all Jack knows Cheng could have dropped it off in the mail somewhere.

thank you - WHERE is the override (read: plot) device??

I didn't cry at Audrey dying, or the president finding out, or kate's call to Jack or jack contemplating suicide - but i BAWLED when Jack grasped Chloe's hand and told her she'd been his best friend. WAAAAAAAAAAAAH

what a ride. great season.

• Love 1
(edited)

The extra shooter got away cleanly, along with whoever was driving the getaway car.  But that could have been handled during the 12 hours that were skipped.

Since we never really know what happens on this show after the 24 hours is up and a new 24 hours begins, five seconds after the episode ends Belcheck could have summoned Godzilla to grab the helicopter out of the air, or Jack jumps out the door with the Bat-Glider, or... aliens.  Not that plausible, but sure, it's possible.  (This reminds me again that the Season 3 to Season 4 transition was massive in terms of new characters and suddenly seeing Jack in some sort of relationship.)

Speaking of which, if the show comes back, I'd rather that Kate not do the horizontal hula with Jack.  Mostly because she'll be left open then for the Screw Jack And Die problem.  (Diane Huxley still wins!  Jack left before she could actually do anything with him!)

For any putative later seasons that may or may not have Jack in them, is Kate too much like Jack now?  Her husband is dead off-screen, betrayed by her old boss.  She feels a lot of guilt for screwing up and getting Audrey killed.  She's already a clever agent willing to do suicidal things for a mission to work.  That could cookie-cutter into a Jack-like role later on, though it wouldn't make her a very original character.  As a working partner with Jack, some contrasts and conflicts would need to exist, otherwise the two of them would have to be fighting aliens or the entire nation of Australia to make the threat large enough, plus they'd seem like one character split into two people.  There's the gap between just starting to go Over The Edge and already being Way, Way, Way Over The Edge, but Jack starts off the second season with the hacksaw thing, so it's just the first step of Over The Edge that's the doozy, it's a smooth ride the rest of the way down.

They also did the Over The Edge with Renee Walker's "My, you've changed" reappearance and actions in Season 8, so there's the problem of covering old ground (not that that's stopped them before), and as my previous paragraph rambles about, Kate's almost already there.  She could perhaps be backed off from being too much like Jack, but that would probably seem like a character neutering.  (And if she reappears and she's trying to raise a family somewhere and there's a threat, it looks like... Season 1 and Season 2 and parts of Season 3 and... yeah, need something new, show?)

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor
  • Love 2
Regarding Mark's fate, was anyone else in the room when his treason was revealed?  I mean, Jack's gone, the Pres suffers from Alzheimers, the Walrus is dead... where is the evidence?

I'm thinking that the President brought everyone up to speed about Mark in the 12 hours that we did not see. Also, Mark might have confessed, especially once he found out Audrey was dead.

As for the President's Alzheimer symptoms: it can take years for the disease to really incapacitate a person. My stepfather-in-law was diagnosed with Pick's disease (which falls under the Alzheimer umbrella - very similar) and it took well over five years before his memory was really and truly affected. My dad has dementia, and it's taken almost three years for the loss of memory to really set in. I don't think we viewers were told how far along into his diagnosis the President was. He could still have quite a bit of high functioning years left in him.

Overall, I really enjoyed the whole shortened series. I don't nit-pick it very much, that takes the fun out of it for me. I just let the craziness wash over me and hang on for the ride! Highlights for me this season were Margot being flung out the window, Cheng's beheading, and quite a bit of Jack's dialogue (yelling at Mark - telling Kate to "wake the bitch up" re: Simone - and several others I can't recall right now).If they decide to resurrect it, there are all sorts of directions it could go. But for now - it was good while it lasted!

• Love 6
(edited)
Regarding Mark's fate, was anyone else in the room when his treason was revealed?  I mean, Jack's gone, the Pres suffers from Alzheimers, the Walrus is dead... where is the evidence?
He's clearly cooked.  He was held in the interrogation room at CIA (for 12 hours), it was the next morning since Ritter told Mark that the President was getting on the plane as they spoke.  Ritter obviously knows about Mark's treason.

Jack looked like he was about to kill himself with his handgun when he heard Audrey had died.  Then he heard the guards, snapped out of it, and rage-killed.

I'm sad about Audrey's death.  Always liked her, and she could never catch a break.  Married to the drip Paul Raines, and then married to the traitor Mark Boudreau.  I don't feel bad for Mark at all.  He worked with the Russians, who were working with Cheng, who killed Audrey.  That knowledge will eat at him until he is strapped into the chair for lethal injection.

Am I the only one who couldn't remember the specifics of why the Russians wanted Jack?  It's been like 4 years.  Some exposition or brief explanation, like how Chloe told Adrian about Cheng, would have been nice.

The show kind of fell flat for me after Margot died.  She made this show.  Cheng is a cartoon, and I didn't care for the Russians.

Edited by blackwing

"No instructions are forthcoming on what Audrey should do in the event that Arte Johnson sits down next to her and starts muttering about his Funk & Wagnall's."

Freakin' genius.

• Love 2

Jack has a family?

I'm assuming he's talking about Kim, her husband, and her kids.  I think she has two now.  Jack also has a nephew, the son of his deceased villainous brother, although I'm not sure how close they are.

For a moment, I actually thought that was what the Russian was going to say once Chloe was out of ear shot.

I don't get how leaving Jack in enemy custody is a series end if the current plan is there really is to be no more. Jack on the run is much better.

• Love 2

I'm must be naive, I thought Jack and Audrey would be okay because the show came back after 4 years and a bad ending so they would be nicer this time, but no Jack can't catch a break. I read the interview linked, the showrunners and Kiefer are convinced Jack is a tragic figure and can't have a happy ending but killing another person he love, being sent to torture again it's just overkill..

It's a shame because I really liked this shortened season but the ending leave a bad taste at least I can imagine that Kate, Chloe and Belchek will work together.

It has been said before but Kate calling Jack in the middle of the mission when she know they need Jack alive was very dumb and when ke decapited Cheng I was hoping for lightnings to come Highlander style.

• Love 1

Well this was a fun ride. The shortened season really worked and the time-jump made sense to me..wrapped up enough things while leaving others open as possible plot points for future or at least up to us to draw our own conclusions. I do hope that they bring 24 and Jack back because the double-whammy of Jack's heartbreak over Audrey's death AND his silent clock is a bit too much for this fan. In a way I can see how the writers wrapped up his super-tragic hero tale correctly...he had a look of peace on his face and unless the sequel involves Godzilla ( hee to the poster upthread) freeing him from the copter OR the Russians needing Jack's help...its pretty clear this is the end of the road for him. Seriously that final silent clock is gonna haunt me. Dammit Jack!

I'm must be naive, I thought Jack and Audrey would be okay because the show came back after 4 years and a bad ending so they would be nicer this time, but no Jack can't catch a break. I read the interview linked, the showrunners and Kiefer are convinced Jack is a tragic figure and can't have a happy ending but killing another person he love, being sent to torture again it's just overkill..

It's a shame because I really liked this shortened season but the ending leave a bad taste at least I can imagine that Kate, Chloe and Belchek will work together.

It has been said before but Kate calling Jack in the middle of the mission when she know they need Jack alive was very dumb and when ke decapited Cheng I was hoping for lightnings to come Highlander style.

Yeah, if Kate comes back, you can guarantee her death.  Especially if she falls in love with Jack.  It's a total cliché on the show.

Kate should do what Jack said, learn to live with what has happened with her.  If she's smart, she'll return of the US and pretend that she never even heard of Jack Bauer.

• Love 1

I sure hope Belcheck at least put a tracking device on Jack before they met the helicopter.  I assume they still had all the comm equipment they'd been using in the car.  Russia is a pretty big place to search without some sort of general idea.

And I'm kinda surprised that Audrey didn't mention Jack in her final moments.  It would have been hokey, but I expected her to say SOMETHING. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Heller's speech made me sad. Jack ending the season in captivity, again, made me sad. I agree with those of you that even felt a bit sad for Mark.

All season, the superficial side of me kept saying "Screw Audrey, Jack and Kate should get together, those hotties." Yup, I feel bad about that one now. Didn't so much care for Audrey this season and it was hard for me to pinpoint exactly why, but killing her off felt really brutal.

I didn't ever feel the need to have 24 back on my DVR once it ended 4 years ago, but I just had to watch once it returned. IMO, it was pretty good!. Having 12 episodes helped to cut out filler I think. I guess we'll see how season 10 goes, when there's a major international crisis and only Jack! Bauer! can save the day despite being tortured by the Russians for a while. 2017 anyone?

Edited by dannymoon

The silent clock was used twice--once in mid-episode for Audrey's death and at the very end of the episode.  That has to signify that Jack is executed (later) by the Russians.

• Love 1
(edited)

Except for the three times that the silent clock wasn't a death: David Palmer survived Mandy's Handshake of Doom, S6 ended on a silent clock for vague reasons, and Redemption ended on a silent clock (I never would have remembered this one without the wiki).

The S2 silent was a cliffhanger, and possibly they were thinking that since they ended S1 with a silent, they'd do it again.  S6 to me felt more like them saying that the season they'd just had was terrible.

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor
  • Love 1
(edited)

I am going to believe that the silent clock at the end of the episode was for the end of 24, the series.  There was talk before season 9 started that it was the final season, and that may have been what they were thinking when they were done filming it.  If it has done well and Keifer and company want to do another, they will probably do another - the certainly gave themselves an opening.  But when they filmed the last episode, they probably were treating it as the last one. 

I think if Jack is supposed to be dead, then they would have had Jack die on camera - what a shock that would be, it would be the talk of the internet and around every water cooler.  They wouldn't miss the opportunity to get that sort of attention, IMO. 

So in my head, Jack is alive, though probably not doing well, but still frustrating his Russian interrogators.  And if anyone tries to convince me otherwise, I am just going to put my hands over my ears and say "tick...tick...tick..."

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 6

I was shocked that they killed Audrey. Even after she was shot, I thought she'd make it. And then the silent clock and I said 'holy shit, they did it. They actually did it!' Still not sure how I feel about it, but I didn't cry until Hellers's speech. I thought DeVane did a great job both with his reaction when told of Audrey's death and then the speech he gave the PM about his Alzheimer's.

Felt nothing for Mark except disgust. Tate Donovan did a great job making me hate Mark right up to the end. When he asked Eric how the president was, I wanted the response to be 'you don't get to ask questions anymore' or 'none of your business.' I liked the look of disgust on Eric's face though. That was a nice touch.

It's going to take me a while to digest the final scenes but my initial reaction is I don't like it. I also thought Belcheck was going to shoot at the Russians once Chloe was in the car, thus allowing jack to escape. I read the interview with the showrunners but still didn't like the ending. Okay so jack didn't get to ride off into the sunset with Audrey, but did he have to turn himself in to the Russians? As others have said, BTDT, didn't want to go back there again.

Tate Donovan did a great job making me hate Mark right up to the end.

What really helped this for me was Mark's insistence that he forged the document and turned Jack over because he thought Jack was a threat and was going to assassinate Heller. He at least could have admitted that he didn't want Jack around because of Audrey.

• Love 2
(edited)

An agent who represents an actor on the miniseries told me that Jack actually had a grenade he was going to use. You'll remember he wasn't subject to a body search? The helicopter was to blow up but they apparently had second thoughts in the month between wrap and broadcast. I'm glad that didn't happen.

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 4

Yeah mark turning jack over to the russians had absolutely nothing to do with jack being thought a terrorist and everything to do with mark being a jealous moron. From the very first moment, he was telling the president's aide that he didn't want Audrey to ever hear jack's name again. So no sympathy at all. I've wanted him to bite it from the opening, although I did want Audrey to find out and maybe be the one to kill him lol!

• Love 1