Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E21: A Secret Letter and a Lowly Disc of Processed Meat

Bort
  • Start Topic

Sheldon discovers that Mary’s been keeping a secret about his future. Also, Meemaw is furious when she learns that Dale fired Georgie.

Airdate: Thursday, April 30, 2020

As always, please do not discuss events of The Big Bang Theory that have not “happened” yet. 

"This is where it gets fun."

Missy's concern over her parents' fight....the actress really nails the facial expressions to get across how she's feeling with saying much.

Loved them egging the store to the chicken dance music. 😄 

• Love 13

I legit teared up at this one. That fight between Mary and George was another massive crack in their marriage. 

Sheldon and his father together was just wonderful. I love how George was advocating for his son.

• Love 12

Connie and Georgie egging the store was a perfect end to this season. Good riddance, Dale!

Missy making Sheldon dress up as a rodeo clown princess was the laugh I needed this week.

I think Sheldon and George were right to be mad at Mary for hiding the college letters, but letting him enroll at the Texas university with Dr. Sturgis was a good compromise. I loved Mary bonding with Billy's mom over cigarettes and Zima, LOL.

• Love 13
31 minutes ago, Driad said:

Did we know Georgie throws left handed?

That was my thought too!  I loved that scene with him and MeeMaw.  That brought back some memories!   Even though she tends to call him out on being a screw-up, she'll stand by all of her grandchildren if they've been wronged.  I love MeeMaw!

However, there were some pretty heavy moments in this episode.  Mary was so wrong not to show George the college letters.  I understand her anxiety about losing Sheldon, but she owes it to her husband to at least discuss it between themselves.  George was great in how he handled the situation with Sheldon though.  

• Love 11
1 minute ago, GussieK said:

I missed what happened with the sausage. Can someone fill me in?

Sheldon retrieved the piece of hot dog from under refrigerator and as he threw it in the trash, he thanked it for helping him get into college.

• Love 4
Just now, ChitChat said:

Sheldon retrieved the piece of hot dog from under refrigerator and as he threw it in the trash, he thanked it for helping him get into college.

Yes, I saw that and did not understand.  You mean there was nothing earlier in the episode?  I thought I missed something.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 minute ago, GussieK said:

You mean there was nothing earlier in the episode?  I thought I missed something.

Sorry!  He was chopping up a hot dog to go in the spaghetti he was making, and a piece fell and rolled under the refrigerator.  That's when he grabbed the flashlight that didn't work, and then went and got another flashlight in Mary's nightstand.  Why he didn't ask where some fresh batteries were baffles me!

Edited by ChitChat
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

I was really happy to see what could be the final blow to Meemaw and Dales relationship, as well as the door opening once again to Dr. Sturgiss.  It makes sense, as I can see the show progressing from Sheldon's high school to college. Lot's of grist for the mill.

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, aqusdealer said:

I was really happy to see what could be the final blow to Meemaw and Dales relationship, as well as the door opening once again to Dr. Sturgiss. 

I liked Dale at first.  They really turned him into a jerk!  I'm not a fan of Connie and Dr. Sturgis though.   

• Love 7
8 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Sorry!  He was chopping up a hot dog to go in the spaghetti he was making, and a piece fell and rolled under the refrigerator.  That's when he grabbed the flashlight that didn't work, and then went and got another flashlight in Mary's nightstand.  Why he didn't ask where some fresh batteries were baffles me!

Thanks!  I was not paying attention at the beginning. I only started paying attention when I heard the words letter and Cal Tech.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I know!  I thought the same thing.  Good ol' flashlight "D" batteries.

I was amazed at how much their kitchen floor resembled mine in the '80s!

9 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

I was really happy to see what could be the final blow to Meemaw and Dales relationship, as well as the door opening once again to Dr. Sturgiss.  It makes sense, as I can see the show progressing from Sheldon's high school to college. Lot's of grist for the mill.

Oh please, say it ain't so!  I can't bear the thought of her possibly ending up with Sturgis one minute longer.  As time progressed he seemed way too eccentric to be any kind of healthy partner for her.  YMMV but I don't think she deserves to be with someone that incapable of a healthy relationship.  I think he's even worse than Sheldon might be when he grows up!

• Love 4

Well, a great episode. It wasn’t the intended season finale but seemed like a one.

I was already guessing that Sheldon would end up in East Texas Tech, so that decision wasn’t a surprise for me. Meemaw & Georgie make a great team, the last scene was great.

Although, I want to see more of Mary & George’s relationship in the next season. Her parents’ dynamics is one of the things that shaped Sheldon, so I think we must see it more.

Let’s hope that everything goes back to normal soon and we can watch the new season on September... 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Maybe he just knows that his parents never stock up on back up batteries.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Oh please, say it ain't so!  I can't bear the thought of her possibly ending up with Sturgis one minute longer.  As time progressed he seemed way too eccentric to be any kind of healthy partner for her.  YMMV but I don't think she deserves to be with someone that incapable of a healthy relationship.  I think he's even worse than Sheldon might be when he grows up!

I have always loved the dynamic of eccentric Dr. Sturgiss mated with Meemaw and how she rolls with his oddness, yet inserts her own level of sanity to the mix. She also understands how sweet he can be when others in the show don’t. I also think it’s perfect for the show that there is someone onboard that can truly understand the level of genius that Sheldon possesses.  I think it’s a winning combination and really miss him when he’s on hiatus. Of course, like you said, that’s why they make vanilla and chocolate 🙂

• Love 10

If this wasn't the intended season finale they really lucked out!  It works really well as one.  I wonder if they needed to tweak Jim Parson's voice over at all to make it more "finale" ish.  

This show does such a great job of combining genuine emotion with humor.  George's anger at being shut out of decisions about his own son.  Sheldon's fear and anguish about being the cause of his parent's fighting.  Mary's sorrow at losing her 'baby.'  All mixed with MeeMaw and Georgie egging Dale's sporting goods shop and Missy dressing Sheldon up as a rodeo princess.

I'm going to be really sad if we can't rejoin the Coopers for a while.  The kids are growing up so fast!  I wonder if they'll try to do an accelerated shooting schedule if there's a lull in the virus season, since it's supposed to ramp up again this fall.  Not that risking the health of the actors and crew is worth my entertainment, but I'm going to miss the Coopers!

• Love 6
12 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Why he didn't ask where some fresh batteries were baffles me!

In my house the flashlights were frequently dead and one hoped to find one that still worked.  Batteries were as scarce as hen's teeth, so our best bet was to find another flashlight that worked.

What an excellent scene and perfect way to end the episode.  Meemaw and Georgie egging Dale's store.  And I loved how they both admitted to each other it wasn't their first egging!  Hysterical.

Very sad we may not see the Cooper's for a while due to the real life events.  The twins are going to be so big by next year! 

• Love 6
(edited)

Wow, I had no idea this wasn't the intended finale episode. They really lucked out in that the content wrapped up several plotlines while providing set-up for the next season. 

I thought this episode was a great mix of light-hearted and heavy. Sheldon calling the law office was hysterical as was Missy dressing him up like a princess clown. MeeMaw and Georgie egging the store was awesome, and I'm hoping this is the end of Dale. I also loved the scene of Mary and the neighbor commiserating over cigarettes and wine coolers in the chicken coop.

As for the heavy, Mary and George fighting hurt my heart, even though she was dead wrong for not showing him the letters. I also thought it was sad how little Mary knew about Missy's life due to so much attention being focused around Sheldon. 

I assumed Sheldon would end up at East Texas Tech because it's the only logical way you could progress him to college while still keeping him close to the family. I look forward to seeing where they go with this in the upcoming season.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 7
(edited)

I loved the one teacher’s reaction when he got to the bar and saw Sheldon was there.

And the other teacher, I think she’s the math teacher, made me misty when she pivoted to admiration for Sheldon, rather than her near-constant frustration with him.

The three teachers and the librarian are an excellent supporting cast for this show.  The principal, eh, not so much.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 14
15 hours ago, GussieK said:

I missed what happened with the sausage. Can someone fill me in?

To add to what ChitChat was saying, when Sheldon got the flashlight out of Mary's nightstand, that's when he found the letter from Caltech.  So the hot dog slice rolling under the refrigerator ended up resulting in Sheldon going to college.  Indirectly.

3 hours ago, Frost said:

I'm going to be really sad if we can't rejoin the Coopers for a while.  The kids are growing up so fast! 

Sheldon's going to have a beard when they come back at this rate.  A Spock beard, of course.  

I didn't know this wasn't the intended season finale either.  I was wondering if this was their way of writing Dale out of the show.  Wow, what a jackass he turned out to be.  

5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I can't bear the thought of her possibly ending up with Sturgis one minute longer.  As time progressed he seemed way too eccentric to be any kind of healthy partner for her.  YMMV but I don't think she deserves to be with someone that incapable of a healthy relationship.  I think he's even worse than Sheldon might be when he grows up!

I like Sturgis and I'm glad it appears he'll be staying on with the show.  I don't think he's as bad as Sheldon though (as long as he doesn't have any relapses).  He seems much more optimistic than Sheldon, less self centered, and less mean in general.  He seemed eager to learn, so I don't think he's incapable of a healthy relationship.  Definitely eccentric though.  I'm all right if he doesn't get back with MeeMaw.  I think they could work, but he appears a little old for her.

Out of curiosity, I checked their ages.  Wallace Shawn is 76, and Annie Potts is 67.

• Love 7

Wow.  This one had all the feels.  The whole cast was on fire for this episode, 100% all in.

I loved that it wasn't pristine-clean under perfect Mary's refrigerator.  I loved MIssy's anxiety at Mary and George's fighting.  "I want Dad." and the ensuing looks on everyone's faces just about killed me dead.  MeeMaw and Georgie need to have a spinoff when this show is done--I'd love to see the beginnings of Georgie developing his business empire with MeeMaw championing and head slapping him the whole way.  The teacher montage was great....I loved to see them all either thrilled to give him a push out the door, or strangely affectionate like that one teacher who found herself unexpectedly happy that teaching Sheldon made her study every night.  And OMG, Mary and Billy's mom bonding in the chicken coop?  Comedy gold.  The actress playing Billy's mom had a really nice moment when she twigged to the fact that Mary was in real distress, and their usual sarcastic and biting relationship needed to be put aside in order to do a real mom-to-mom support session.  With wine coolers.

• Love 20
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

Maybe he just knows that his parents never stock up on back up batteries.

I understand that the whole point of the script was for Sheldon to transition to his Moms drawer to discover the hidden letter (and it was a very well  written episode) but that’s the one snippet I had second thoughts about...Sheldon not having batteries???...he’s always bragging about being a card carrying member of the Radio Shack Battery of the Month Club. I figure by now he would have a lockbox under his bed with a stash of batteries that would make Thomas Edison jealous. 🙂

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
42 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

The teacher montage was great....I loved to see them all either thrilled to give him a push out the door, or strangely affectionate like that one teacher who found herself unexpectedly happy that teaching Sheldon made her study every night. 

That was a highlight for me.  The casting agent did a great job with this show. 

I enjoyed watching Sheldon actually cooking a meal for himself!  His joy about spaghetti and hot dogs makes me smile every single time.  Things like this are what we all carry into adulthood.   

• Love 5
2 hours ago, snarkylady said:

Kudos all around, wonderful, poignant, funny episode.  In particular, Iain Armitage, when he was presenting his case to go to college and gesturing towards his white board I swear I saw the adult Jim Parsons in Fun with Flags. 

It made me laugh when I first saw it and saw that there was a flag on each side of the board.

• Love 12
18 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I'll bet that Montana Jordan and Annie Potts had a lot of fun with that last scene! Connie's underhanded throw under her leg was pretty funny too.  

And Annie Potts still has the moves!  I can't kick like that and I'm at least 15 her junior!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

One thing that broke my heart a little for Missy: When Mary brought her a snack and they were talking-- and then you hear Sheldon call out that they are home (or something similar). Mary immediately lost all interest in Missy and rushed out to greet Sheldon. Missy's expression of resignation and comprehension that she will always come in second to Sheldon was poignant and distressing for me.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
53 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

One thing that broke my heart a little for Missy: When Mary brought her a snack and they were talking-- and then you hear Sheldon call out that they are home (or something similar). Mary immediately lost all interest in Missy and rushed out to greet Sheldon. Missy's expression of resignation and comprehension that she will always come in second to Sheldon was poignant and distressing for me.

Oh that was very telling, and extremely well done.  That young actress playing Missy is amazing with her facial and vocal expressions.

• Love 10

Kudos all around. The poignant, even heartbreaking family moments were balanced by the perfect egging scene featuring Meemaw and Georgie. Dale had it coming!! Kudos to the foreshadowing of "Fun With Flags".

116864_1637b-scaled~2.jpg

ac60de8b-382b-4959-97dd-80eee2e46436-1.png

• Love 14

I enjoyed Sheldon showing up at the bar and George's shock at finding him there. 

I don't recall the exact exchange but it was something like "How did you know I was here?" "Well, you don't come home smelling like (I can't remember the line but I laughed.)

I hope we'll still get scenes of George or Georgie at school so we can see the teachers. Especially the librarian. I adore her. 

And I love how George was there for Sheldon and is encouraging his dreams and looking out for his future. It's really sweet. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Not that this show would go there, but I had a brief thought that Sheldon might find some other battery-powered appliance in the bedside table.  

I had the same thought!

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I don't recall the exact exchange but it was something like "How did you know I was here?" "Well, you don't come home smelling like (I can't remember the line but I laughed.)

Coffee. ☺😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Did the librarian have a moment in the "why Sheldon should go to college" video? I don't remember seeing her, but she's the one Sheldon is most involved with.

I thought Sheldon retrieving the hot dog piece from under the refrigerator was going to become a huge mess-- he'd move the refrigerator, there'd be a disaster of some kind... I didn't see the lack of batteries and thus the letter discovery coming.

7 hours ago, Liddy52 said:

I didn't interpret it that Mary ran to Sheldon because she'd lost interest in Missy. Missy was raising questions about the fight that Mary and George had had the previous night that made Mary uncomfortable. Without using the word divorce, Missy was asking if her parents could work through this or not. Mary didn't have the answer to that question. When Sheldon got home, she took the opportunity to dodge Missy's question, by running to Sheldon and George. Missy's expression there was fear that her Mom and Dad might break up over her brother, the "freak" as she had called him earlier in the episode.

• Love 14
On 4/30/2020 at 8:35 PM, anna0852 said:

Sheldon and his father together was just wonderful. I love how George was advocating for his son.

14 hours ago, jewel21 said:

And I love how George was there for Sheldon and is encouraging his dreams and looking out for his future. It's really sweet. 

I'm thrilled that they have further developed the relationship between George and Sheldon. Mary knows all the little details, but George can see the big picture. There are times George knows what's better for his son than Mary. George doesn't always understand Sheldon, but he loves him and wants him to do well in life.

On 4/30/2020 at 9:17 PM, ChitChat said:

Mary was so wrong not to show George the college letters.  I understand her anxiety about losing Sheldon, but she owes it to her husband to at least discuss it between themselves.  George was great in how he handled the situation with Sheldon though.  

Agreed. I understand that Sheldon is still a child and keeping this from him made sense. George is an adult and supposed to responsible for Sheldon's well being as well. This is something the two of them should have discussed as a couple. George had every right to be upset.

On 5/1/2020 at 1:00 PM, HurricaneVal said:

And OMG, Mary and Billy's mom bonding in the chicken coop?  Comedy gold.  The actress playing Billy's mom had a really nice moment when she twigged to the fact that Mary was in real distress, and their usual sarcastic and biting relationship needed to be put aside in order to do a real mom-to-mom support session.  With wine coolers.

I'm surprised Mrs. Sparks default was sarcasm. I had hoped they were past that after the birthday party. I am glad that Mrs. Sparks was able to realize this was serious and be there for her neighbor. On some level, they are dealing with the same issue. It's two sides of the same coin. How do you raise a child who is so different (especially socially and academically) from their peers? They need each other.

23 hours ago, snarkylady said:

Kudos all around, wonderful, poignant, funny episode.  In particular, Iain Armitage, when he was presenting his case to go to college and gesturing towards his white board I swear I saw the adult Jim Parsons in Fun with Flags. 

Nice to know I'm not the only one who thought that.

Missy can hurt and emotionally destroy Sheldon when she wants to. Telling him their parents were fighting because he was a freak was brutal. 

Overall, this was a fantastic episode. Each major character got a moment to shine.

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Missy can hurt and emotionally destroy Sheldon when she wants to. Telling him their parents were fighting because he was a freak was brutal. 

I don't think she was necessarily trying to hurt him.  This is at least the second time that her parents have had a major fight due to Sheldon.  His issues affect her life, and often in a negative way.  She's just stating facts.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I'm surprised Mrs. Sparks default was sarcasm. I had hoped they were past that after the birthday party.

Old habits die hard!  She is a bit abrasive, so maybe after this second bonding experience she'll be a little nicer to Mary.

I wonder how different Sheldon would be if they would've gone by George's 'don't coddle him so much' approach.  I know that Mary worries about Sheldon, but sometimes she does too much.  I can see where George gets frustrated with her because she usually does things her way in regards to Sheldon, not taking into consideration George's input.  That's a situation just ripe for marital problems.  

• Love 5
On 5/1/2020 at 12:48 PM, rmontro said:

Out of curiosity, I checked their ages.  Wallace Shawn is 76, and Annie Potts is 67.

I love that both were in the Toy Story franchise - as Rex and Bo Peep, respectively. Of course, Zoe Perry's mom (Laurie Metcalf, Mary of TBBT) voiced Andy's mom.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't think she was necessarily trying to hurt him.  This is at least the second time that her parents have had a major fight due to Sheldon.  His issues affect her life, and often in a negative way.  She's just stating facts.

Sheldon's social skills aren't that great. There's a combination of he often doesn't understand or care how what he says impacts people. I have no problem believing that Missy would think it and I understand that Sheldon often makes her life difficult. Missy has far better social skills and knew what she said would hurt Sheldon.

• Love 3