Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: ... said I'm sorry

• Start Topic

I’m also hoping for a second season. It was very cute and had a lot of heart- I cried more than I should have after binging all of the episodes in two days.

I’m also on team Ben, but I hope a dumb triangle doesn’t ruin this show like it usually does. 

• Like 1
  • Love 17

The only reason I can imagine that the show wouldn't come back is because of pandemic complications.

I loathe love triangles, but I would tolerate one in which Devi and Paxton get together because (1) Devi and Ben will always be competitive and bickering, and (2) Paxton was Devi's love-at-first-sight who healed her of her paralysis, and (3) because I'm hopeless that way myself, having never got together with the sensible choice. 

But I could also see Devi's mom thinking she and Devi's betrothed's parents better step up their game before Devi does something like convert to Judaism or get pregnant via  one of Paxton's little swimmers, and so Devi's betrothed would come to stay with the uncle for the summer. 

BTW, the uncle is gay, right?

• Sad 1
  • Love 5

I really liked this show and I hope Devi sticks with Ben.  I can see why she's attracted to Paxton of course but, he is a bit of a jerk. 

I watched it in two days and might watch it again! I hope there are more seasons to come. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9

I don't know, it seems kinda apparent to me that Devi and Paxton are going to be endgame. Devi and Ben bickering and then making out is somewhat predictable in a sense, or maybe I'm just used to the enemies-to-lovers trope. They make sense *now* but there's no real excitement or chemistry beyond the bickering-sarcastic quips that they've got going for them. And them getting together now pretty much ensures there are roadblocks in Season 2, which is when I suspect we are going to be getting a lot more backstory for Paxton. I already like him now, and I like how we are already seeing a clear evolution of his feelings for Devi. Dude is definitely deeper than we're seeing and I think i'm going to enjoy his story. 

• Love 12
On 4/29/2020 at 2:41 AM, twoods said:

I’m also hoping for a second season. It was very cute and had a lot of heart- I cried more than I should have after binging all of the episodes in two days.

I’m also on team Ben, but I hope a dumb triangle doesn’t ruin this show like it usually does. 

Good to know I wasn't the only one with dust being stirred up in my house during that last episode. 

• Love 12

I finished it in 2 days, really hope there's a season 2!

I thought they did a good job of balancing humour with the grief Devi & her family are processing, as well as the other issues the supporting characters face.

• Like 1
  • Love 14
On 4/29/2020 at 11:34 AM, shapeshifter said:

I loathe love triangles, but I would tolerate one in which Devi and Paxton get together because (1) Devi and Ben will always be competitive and bickering, and (2) Paxton was Devi's love-at-first-sight who healed her of her paralysis, and (3) because I'm hopeless that way myself, having never got together with the sensible choice. 

I think Ben and Devi won't last because of (1). They seemed to genuinely dislike each other until the dinner at Devi's house, and I don't see the competitiveness abating. I also think Devi kissed Ben because she's in a very vulnerable spot emotionally, and he gave her the space she needed from her mom. I don't think Paxton is any prize, either, as he's very concerned how other people see him. But maybe they'll end up in a Xander/Cordelia sort of thing.

I love this show. I hope it gets a second season, too. The casting is terrific, even in the smallest roles.

Gears Brosnan totally cracked me up. The name is so great.

I totally want a room featuring the Doobie Brothers. (I'm an oldz.)

It was very meta to have John McEnroe appear in an episode narrated by John McEnroe. Hee.

Sendhil Ramamurthy is an exceptionally beautiful man. Yowza.

• Love 13

I don't normally second-guess the show's music editor, but I feel like that opening sequence through the credits should have been set to a Doobie Brothers song.

The beach scene was very well-acted, but I kind of feel like this mother/daughter reconciliation (and Dr. Vishwakumar's earlier scene with the therapist) kind of ducked the meat of Devi's anger at her mother, namely, that she seemed to have been completely fed up with her even before the dad died -- whereas this made it seem like the dad's death was the root of everything.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, backhometome said:

I love enemies to lovers trope.

Enemies to friends to lovers is a top notch trope! And they managed to do it in a single season with Ben and Devi lol.

I think Ben/Devi is endgame. They're very Mindy/Danny to me. Although, I don't know if Mindy/Danny ended up together because I didn't finish The Mindy Project so!

9 hours ago, SeanC said:

The beach scene was very well-acted, but I kind of feel like this mother/daughter reconciliation (and Dr. Vishwakumar's earlier scene with the therapist) kind of ducked the meat of Devi's anger at her mother, namely, that she seemed to have been completely fed up with her even before the dad died -- whereas this made it seem like the dad's death was the root of everything.

I'm not sure it's resolved yet. I'm sure if they get a second season (please Netlfix!) then they're still gonna have issues.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, SeanC said:

I don't normally second-guess the show's music editor, but I feel like that opening sequence through the credits should have been set to a Doobie Brothers song.

I agree! But maybe they felt that was too on the nose? Or maybe the rights were too expensive.

32 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm not sure it's resolved yet.

Same here. I think the beach scene was more about accepting her dad was well and truly gone, and scattering his ashes was a way to get some peace with that. Her friends were right—if Devi hadn't gone, she'd regret it forever.

So the immediate issue is probably resolved, but the resentment and anger Devi has toward her mom isn't. And I think that's tied up with Devi's grief, which she hasn't properly dealt with. Accepting it is a big step, but she's got more work to do.

And selfishly, I want to see more scenes of Devi and her therapist. Niecy Nash is so underrated as an actor.

Side note: I watch with CC on, and about a third of the time it says Max is calling Devi "David." Is that a typo or is he nicknaming her? What's weird is that's the only place it shows up.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:

Side note: I watch with CC on, and about a third of the time it says Max is calling Devi "David." Is that a typo or is he nicknaming her? What's weird is that's the only place it shows up.

Ben calls her David occasionally. And I loved it every time!

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

I really enjoyed this, hope it comes back. Devi felt like a real teenager to me, making lots of mistakes and shoving down her pain. I never had anything as traumatic as a parent dying but I was also one to shove down my pain and I was also a total smartass teen.

Yeah, saw the romcom Ben thing coming. Not a big fan but I don't care that much about the romantic stuff although I know that's all teenagers think about, lol, I was one once. Not all of course, but very important so that rang true. I still like Paxton better, I always have the UO. Oh, and I finally figured out in the last episode who Ben reminds me of. Young Robert Downey Jr.

The ashes ceremony on the beach was really touching. Loved the cameo from McEnroe, I actually enjoyed his voice overs very much.

• Love 13
(edited)

Was it Kamala who declared something about never marrying your first boyfriend? I wonder if that could be long-arc foreshadowing for Devi. Maybe if it gets 5 or 7 seasons she'll marry an Indian guy or no one. 

Even though I still think Paxton is not yet  history for Devi, I do not see them living happily ever after, but I'd like to see her with Paxton for a season post-Ben. 

Edited by shapeshifter
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oddly enough, since I am a fan of age differences in ships, I felt weirded out by Devi/Paxton mostly because Paxton looks so much older than her.

Devi’s a sophomore, and Paxton’s a junior, right?

44 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Devi’s a sophomore, and Paxton’s a junior, right?

The actors are 18 and 29.  I agree the actor playing Paxton looks much older (I feel terrible saying this but the lines under his eyes made me think of him as much older than her as well)

• Like 1
  • Love 10
15 minutes ago, Violet Penner said:

The actors are 18 and 29.  I agree the actor playing Paxton looks much older (I feel terrible saying this but the lines under his eyes made me think of him as much older than her as well)

😮 I was watching on an old iPad Mini, so I didn't notice. 
Shoot, that's not going to work if the next season is delayed unless he wants to do Botox --which I would think an actor would not want to do because of the risk of permanent nerve damage (although many do).

8 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oddly enough, since I am a fan of age differences in ships, I felt weirded out by Devi/Paxton mostly because Paxton looks so much older than her.

I'm usually a sucker for it too (I even had a brief shipping moment with Devi and Kamala's potential intended).  But Paxton does look a bit older than her.  I'm not sure if it bothers me or not but I do sense it.

Oh this show---just shoot it into my veins.  I've grown up on the same kind of romcoms and teen movies that Mindy has so I had a feeling this would be comfort viewing and oh boy was it. 

I like how the complicated relationships both fell into the cliche of those movies while also feeling well rounded.

As for the triangle, and there's zero doubt that this will be a triangle, it's definitely not over.  Ben still technically has a girlfriend, I believe.  And Devi was obsessed with Paxton right up until the moment she kissed Ben.  One of two things will happen.  Devi will go back home, Paxton will make a move on her that she may reciprocate or at least not push away fast enough and Ben will find out.  So they'll both try to pretend that the kiss didn't mean anything and long for one another.  Or, Devi will get with Ben, Paxton won't tell her how he feels and he'll long until she and Ben break up.

I can't really predict an end game, though.  I think both sides of the triangle have been written with both flaws and rootable qualities.

I would bet on this getting a second season.  It seemed to be the number one show trending in the US on Netflix this week.  I think teen shows/teen dramas do well on the service. Plus, most of the main cast are unknowns so I bet it's on the cheaper side to produce.

• Love 15
13 hours ago, Violet Penner said:

Yea, I mean that guy looks every bit of his 29 years and imo he actually looks a bit older than that. The actress easily passes for like 16. When the actors themselves have such a noticeable age difference, especially when one of them is a teen, it just kinda squicks me out,

8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Oh this show---just shoot it into my veins.  I've grown up on the same kind of romcoms and teen movies that Mindy has so I had a feeling this would be comfort viewing and oh boy was it. 

Right!

• Like 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, I mean that guy looks every bit of his 29 years and imo he actually looks a bit older than that.

Way harsh tai! He looks older than the actors playing Ben and Devi but I was actually surprised he's 29. I would have guessed mid-20s. Having to play a teen when you're almost 30 must be weird.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:08 AM, dubbel zout said:

And selfishly, I want to see more scenes of Devi and her therapist. Niecy Nash is so underrated as an actor.

Agreed, Niecy's great here. I think Devi could continue to benefit from therapy. It's clear that she and her mom had things to work through even before her dad died.

• Love 13

I honestly didn't notice Paxton looking so much older than any of the others. I'm used to 20 something year olds playing teenagers. The only one I thought could actually be a real teen was Devi.

• Love 9
(edited)

Finally got around to watching the finale and I too really enjoyed the series and really hope it gets a Season 2.  I have a strong feeling it will. 

On 4/28/2020 at 6:32 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I knew from minute one that Ben and Devi were gonna be a thing and I was super here for it.

Yes, so did I and it's why I was a 100% not here for it because YMMV, I find the "we bicker because we're secretly into each other" trope beyond tired and overused. It's such a predictable cliche. Like I said in the Trope thread - sometimes people can just straight up not like each other and doesn't mean they secretly are into each other. 

That said, as I noted in another thread, I'm not Team Devi/Ben or Team Devi/Paxton because I think this season and 90% of Devi's actions were all about her having to deal with her grief over her father's death. Devi doesn't need a boyfriend. She needed to deal with her emotional shit that she was running away from. So in that respect, I wasn't shipping her with either guy. 

IMO, Devi doesn't really know Paxton. She got to know a little more about him, meeting his sister and all that but she doesn't know him enough to truly into him like that. Ben she only got to know a bit more, especially when he opened up to her mom and came to their home for dinner. But prior to that she'd spent years just hating his guts and therefore not interested in his life.

And at the end, I felt like Devi's feelings for Ben were more gratitude for everything he'd done for her (giving her a place to stay, getting her friends back in her life, driving her to Malibu), which was nice of him. So she saw this really nice guy who was there for her when she really needed it, who by now she knew was into her, since he tried to kiss her twice at his party and figured why not. But I saw no indication of Devi being into Ben prior to that, while it was clear Ben had long been into Devi. 

And I just don't see the show doing away with the Devi/Paxton storyline entirely if there is a second season. Paxton may be the pretty boy, popular guy with some douchy tendencies as his sister pointed out, but I do think he proved himself to be a nice guy many times throughout the season. And honestly, I didn't blame him for pulling away from Devi after the way her mom went off on him. 

Dude is a teenager. No matter how hot and popular, everyone has their insecurities. And to have someone, an adult no less basically all but tell him he's a moron whose only talent is in hooking up with girls, (and didn't help that Devi first reached out to him just to have sex with her), yeah I can see how that stung and made him not want to be around Devi. Because if he didn't feel dumb around her before based on how book-smart she is,, her mother once again all but calling him dumb as fuck, pretty much solidified that. 

1 hour ago, raeb23 said:

Agreed, Niecy's great here. I think Devi could continue to benefit from therapy. It's clear that she and her mom had things to work through even before her dad died.

Oh yeah I haven't commented on her. Loved her and I too want more of their sessions if (okay I'll say when to be positive) there is a second season. A lot of the supporting characters were great, which also helped make the show work so well - the therapist, the Principal, even the Uncle and his one appearance. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 10
16 hours ago, Violet Penner said:

Hmm, different strokes because I didn't notice that and never realized he's that old. I'd chalk it up to his being half-Asian. Because I remember Harry Shum Jr. too was a lot older than I realized when he was on Glee. 

Paxton is obviously older than Devi but I never thought it's because the actor looks old. I just felt it's because Devi comes across so young at time, while Paxton has the "cooler, I've seen and done so much more" vibe. Like she feels like Freshman and him a Senior. But I never thought he looked too old. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 6

I remember being a teenage girl and crushing on a guy just because he's hot so it doesn't bother me that Devi doesn't really know Paxton that well, and I agree that she needs to deal with her shit before getting a boyfriend but she's a teenager. It's realistic. I also don't think Paxton is a douche. He seems to have a kind heart, but he's definitely a teenage boy with all the insecurity that comes with that. Caring what people think of him? Very normal at that age. I think it's horrible the things that Devi's mom was saying to him, she needs to deal with her shit too. I can always use more Niecy Nash in my showsI

• Love 14
6 hours ago, raeb23 said:

Way harsh tai! He looks older than the actors playing Ben and Devi but I was actually surprised he's 29. I would have guessed mid-20s. 

I actually really thought he was gonna be even older than 29! I'm glad he's older though since it makes it less weird to think he's attractive when you're a 35 year old woman watching a teen romcom lol.

I've never cared about older people playing teens but in this case I find it a bit jarring since the Devi actress is actually a teen.

Although, I also thought Ramona Young was going to be late 20's and she's only 21, so sometimes people just look older than they are.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I actually really thought he was gonna be even older than 29! I'm glad he's older though since it makes it less weird to think he's attractive when you're a 35 year old woman watching a teen romcom lol.

I've never cared about older people playing teens but in this case I find it a bit jarring since the Devi actress is actually a teen.

Although, I also thought Ramona Young was going to be late 20's and she's only 21, so sometimes people just look older than they are.

I guess that settles it; I'm the only one who kept thinking Maitreyi Ramakrishnan (Devi) was at least 21. 

And I thought Darren Barnet (Paxton) was about 25.

• Love 2

I absolutely loved this show, I thought it was like an Indian teenaged Jane the virgin. 
Team Paxtom here, I thought Ben was really cruel to her early in the season, and I didn't feel like he really managed to make up for it later. 

Loved the therapist, the cousin, the plotlines, the jokes, the heart. I really hope Corona doesn't ruin this one. 

• Love 5

I hadn't put this together until I saw it on Tumblr (don't judge me!): When Paxton called Devi 'Little D,' she asked her therapist if a boy giving you a nickname meant he wanted to be your boyfriend and all along Ben had been calling her 'David.'

• Useful 13
  • Love 8

Binged the whole season today and loved it. Even though the love triangle is a cliche (Mindy Kaling loves her rom-coms), what I like with this show is that there isn't one clear bad guy and one clear good guy. Both Ben and Paxton have good and bad qualities and reasons their relationships with Davi could work well and could be a wreck. 

8 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

It'd be fun to see Devi's mom in therapy again. She could use some help, too.

Maybe they'll do family therapy next season. They could use it.

1 hour ago, luvenan said:

Team Paxtom here, I thought Ben was really cruel to her early in the season, and I didn't feel like he really managed to make up for it later. 

Someone in another post in this thread mentioned that the dynamic between Davi and Ben is like Mindy Lahiri and Danny Castellano and I remember Danny being pretty mean to Mindy at the beginning of the series. He even made a really shitty comment about her appearance/weight in the first episode. Of course he said that after she was making equally shitty comments about his divorce. It seems like with this series and the first season the Mindy Project that she eventually finds the right balance of flirting/bickering for the love interests.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
22 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I can't really predict an end game, though.  I think both sides of the triangle have been written with both flaws and rootable qualities

I feel the same. I’m not even sure who (if either) I want her to end up. Usually it’s clear to me, but I like both. 

The scattering of the ashes had me claiming allergies too. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, DanaMB said:

The scattering of the ashes had me claiming allergies too. 

It was the dust, for sure.

I forgot to mention what might be my fave line from the whole show, Rebecca's, "Oh, no ... you're a douche." The line delivery was just perfect.

• Love 16
On 5/2/2020 at 1:23 PM, truthaboutluv said:

Yes, so did I and it's why I was a 100% not here for it because YMMV, I find the "we bicker because we're secretly into each other" trope beyond tired and overused. It's such a predictable cliche. Like I said in the Trope thread - sometimes people can just straight up not like each other and doesn't mean they secretly are into each other. 

I didn't feel as if this was presented as simply as "love and hate are just two sides of the same coin" because although Ben and Devi were initially shown being hostile to one another, when the romantic feelings surfaced they flowed out of kindness and empathy. So my reading is that they fight because they are both competitive and have personality flaws that don't always lead them to make the most mature decisions, but they are compatible because they are both smart. In some respects that gives me a kind of Anne Shirley/Gilbert Blythe vibe. (Book, not any of the TV adaptations.) 

• Like 1
  • Love 16
29 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I didn't feel as if this was presented as simply as "love and hate are just two sides of the same coin" because although Ben and Devi were initially shown being hostile to one another, when the romantic feelings surfaced they flowed out of kindness and empathy.

That may be, but it is still a cliche when barely two seconds into meeting Ben and seeing the dynamic between him and Devi, I knew eventually they would become romantically linked. That's my issue. Not with necessarily just that specific pairing/storyline per se but the trope in general. That I could predict within seconds that's where the story was going to go, means it's a tired and overused cliche.

• Love 3
On 5/1/2020 at 11:25 AM, festivus said:

I really enjoyed this, hope it comes back. Devi felt like a real teenager to me, making lots of mistakes and shoving down her pain. I never had anything as traumatic as a parent dying but I was also one to shove down my pain and I was also a total smartass teen.

Yeah, saw the romcom Ben thing coming. Not a big fan but I don't care that much about the romantic stuff although I know that's all teenagers think about, lol, I was one once. Not all of course, but very important so that rang true. I still like Paxton better, I always have the UO. Oh, and I finally figured out in the last episode who Ben reminds me of. Young Robert Downey Jr.

The ashes ceremony on the beach was really touching. Loved the cameo from McEnroe, I actually enjoyed his voice overs very much.

Meanwhile, Paxton reminds me of Chad Michael Murray. Not in looks, but in voice and acting choices/mannerisms. It was jarring. But guess I was the only one to think so nice no one else has mentioned it. 

I like Paxton, but add me to the list of those thinking he definitely looks older (the usual 20s actor playing teen) while Devi did actually look like a teen.

The show has given some good male eye candy (Paxton, Kamala's possible fiance-to-be, Sendhil Ramamurthy). The actor who plays Ben is cute, if not quite hot like the others.

• Like 1
  • Love 11

I find the "we bicker because we're secretly into each other" trope beyond tired and overused. It's such a predictable cliche.

As someone else pointed out, this is Mindy's MO. I enjoyed this series overall, and I actually thought some of her staple tropes worked better here because, yes, they're mostly teens and it's believable they would be so horny/dumb/immature and allergic to feelings.

That said, as someone who has watched much of MK's other works, I want to see some new material for Season 2. Between Mindy Project, Four Weddings, and even The Office, she's used some of the same story lines (and same actors in similar roles, even) in at least 2 or 3 different shows. It reminds me a bit of watching the old TGIF where you'd see the same plot lines recycled from one show to the next to the next.

• Like 1

Like I said in the Trope thread - sometimes people can just straight up not like each other and doesn't mean they secretly are into each other. 

If people really dislike each other, they dislike each other.  They don't have to get in each other's faces constantly letting the other person know how much they dislike each other. 

I think this was the trope of, "do I go with the boy I like, or the boy who likes me?"  Sometimes you get lucky and they're the same person, but a lot of times, they're not.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I think this was… "do I go with the boy I like, or the boy who likes me?" 

That is a plot explanation I can live with. I hope that’s what is going on (Devi kisses Ben because he likes her even though she’d rather be with Paxton), because it makes more sense to me than Devi suddenly being into Ben. Maybe Ben and Devi can just be friends in the end.  
I don’t see Ben and Devi as belonging together. But I guess that could change. I also think they should make Paxton turn out to have been gay all along. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
(edited)

That was so good, that last scene was just... who put the onions here...its clearly making my eyes water up...

I think they did a good job at mixing the comedy and the drama, and while Davi and her mom still have a lot to work on with their relationship, hopefully they at have at least started really moving past their grief, and understand how much the other one has been hurting. It also looks like Devi has found herself in a love triangle! I am definitely Team Ben, he and Devi have had such a fun (if tropey, because Mindy) arc this season, but I like Paxton a lot more than I thought I would. He gets too hung up on what people think about him, but he has a good heart. I think that Devi and Ben work together better as a possible couple though, especially as I dont think Devi and Paxton really know each other very well. If we get another season (please and thank you Netflix!) I can imagine she might get to know him better than the hot unattainable guy, but I think she and Ben will end up together. 

I really like all the supporting characters, but I especially adore Fabiolas robot. "He doesent know he’s a robot, like in Westworld." 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Have we seen or heard Nalini tell Devi that she's proud of her or that she loves her? 

No to the first, but didn't Nalini say she loved Devi at the ash scattering?

• Love 2

If we get to make wishes for the next season (fingers crossed it can happen sooner rather than later), can we find out what's going on with Eric? That poor kid. So far he seems to be just a random side bit that makes me sad. His constant eating and asking for food, and lack of discrimination as to what he eats to the point it makes him sick, is not funny. Surely they can't be treating this person as a stupid fat joke, right? I want this show to be smarter than that. But clearly there is more to that story; this is not a happy large kid who just loves to eat. He's miserable. He looks like he's in great emotional pain and compulsively seeking food rather than enjoying it. I will say, the actor is doing a great job conveying depth and complexity in a bit part.

• Love 8