Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Coronavirus Misinformation

• Start Topic

"Nine people have died! That's tragic, but it's teeny!'

Please go say that to the people who lost those loved ones, then, you asshole. I'm sure they'd absolutely love to hear that their family and friends' deaths aren't that big a deal.

Yeah, I am well and truly out of patience with this kind of idiocy. At this point, I'd be more than fine with Hannity and all these other idiots wearing a mask if it were the kind that kept them from having to speak at all. It's absolutely horrifying how we've got this kind of stupidity running rampant. I've said it before and I'll say it again, everyone who've downplayed and dismissed this desperately needs to be held accountable somehow when this is all said and done. Make them have to spend time listening to the horror stories from those who lost loved ones. Make those who spewed misinformation have to pay some kind of fine or have to be made to share facts and corrections every day on their shows or something. Make them have to work one of the essential worker jobs for a while, and deal with the stress that comes with that. Or hell, maybe they should be the ones to spend time digging the graves for those who've died from this. I mean, it's just a "teeny" number, after all, so it shouldn't take them long, right?

I am comforted by the poll that shows that most Americans are actually in favor of keeping the restrictions in place, though. So basically it's just a small portion of the country that are ruining things for the rest of us, apparently :/. 

• Love 22

This week: John ties right-wing media to a semi, and then travels on some bumpy roads.

This is The Neverending Story, but with bullshit instead of fantasy. Uggggh. Right wingers talk bullshit, president parrots right wingers, people listening to them takes their words with no grains of salt, right wing media reports it. Gotta love John going the televangelist route and trying to blow real hard. “RIGHT WING MEDIA! (blowing hard at camera) AH BLOW ON YOU!!! Did that work? No? Everything’s still a fucking nightmare? Well, it was worth a shot. What did I have to lose?

I also like how John said the televangelist had the four weakest hype men.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 18

First half of the show was depressing, second half I didn't really care about. No idea who that is, no idea why anyone would watch her, don't care what she or her fans are doing.

Too bad that he didn't explain the importance of reproduction rates and why it is impossible to truly tell what the rate is in the US. In connection with the opening up of the country, that is kind of more important than to explain again why Fox News sucks.

• Love 2

I’m not addressing the first part of the show because it’s too fucking infuriating.

LOL, Wendy Williams and John Oliver is the duo I never knew I needed. I hope there is an update with Wendy actually wearing the onesie sweatshirt/pants! A little disappointed in John (and I guess his writing staff) for not knowing who Tiny is, though.

LMAO at “Gus III: The Final Gus,” then “Gus IV: The Be-Gus-inning.” 🤣 I feel like “Mr. Pretty Whiskers” is 100% a name that JO would choose for a cat. 

• Love 14
5 hours ago, link417 said:

I’m not addressing the first part of the show because it’s too fucking infuriating.

LOL, Wendy Williams and John Oliver is the duo I never knew I needed. I hope there is an update with Wendy actually wearing the onesie sweatshirt/pants! A little disappointed in John (and I guess his writing staff) for not knowing who Tiny is, though.

LMAO at “Gus III: The Final Gus,” then “Gus IV: The Be-Gus-inning.” 🤣 I feel like “Mr. Pretty Whiskers” is 100% a name that JO would choose for a cat. 

It is especially infuriating when you hear the reasons behind their protests. I pray when this is all over, we will be back to some form of normalcy. At least, that percentage was more believable. 68 percent, correct?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Gotta love John going the televangelist route and trying to blow real hard. “RIGHT WING MEDIA! (blowing hard at camera) AH BLOW ON YOU!!! Did that work? No? Everything’s still a fucking nightmare? Well, it was worth a shot. What did I have to lose?

OMG. I absolutely LOVED that! And I swear, Kenneth Copeland looked like a devil when he was blowing.

I also like how John said the televangelist had the four weakest hype men.

I wouldn't have known what a hype man was if I wasn't watching Dave.

I feel terrible for wishing ill on anyone, but it would be divine if everyone protesting that businesses reopen would get COVID-19. Of course I wouldn't want them to pass it onto anyone who didn't share their misguided beliefs, but it would be delicious schadenfreude.

I was a bit disappointed that John didn't touch on the idea that these protests are being astroturfed, if that's the correct term. I don't know if it's proven, but Big Money is organizing at least some of the protests.

I don't care too much about Wendy Williams. I never watched her show, have only seen clips like here, but it's kinda nice to end the show on a silly note.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, grawlix said:

Milk Dud
Domino
Gusta
Jefferson
Opus
Stanley
Clown Car
Becky
Alison
Deborah

Gus
Gus II
Gus III, the Final Gus
Gus IV, a New BeGussening
Daniel Craig the Cat
Gum Drop
Mr. Pretty Whiskers
Blue Bell
Emilia
Reginald

Strawberry
Flewpee Nummy Butterkins
John Jr.
Stripey
Noodles
DeCatbe Mutumbo
Dekembe Catumbo
FRANK!

😀

@grawlix You are the hero we needed!

Edited by ahisma
  • Love 10

My cat, Socks, was raised with dogs and does come when I call him. His sister Callie has a bit of an attitude though and will not.

You want to show me the surest sign that you are ignorant regarding COVID19? Tell me it is the 19th strain of the virus because that is absolutely not true. Kellyanne Conway was spouting that crap on Fox News (saw a clip on Seth Meyers because I refuse to watch that BS station) and another right wing idiot on this show. It is named 19 because that was the year it was discovered - 2019. If you cannot get the basic facts right, shut the hell up!

Sorry, I work in an ER (secretary) and the ignorance I am seeing is just angering me.

It would serve those idiots protesting right to catch the virus while protesting. I take heart in this story though...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/04/20/coronavirus-photos-show-mask-health-workers-blocking-denver-protest/5163745002/

image.thumb.png.60d5fd98cf9d7087db9f50a1d5fdd589.png

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, cmahorror said:

My cat, Socks, was raised with dogs and does come when I call him. His sister Callie has a bit of an attitude though and will not.

You want to show me the surest sign that you are ignorant regarding COVID19? Tell me it is the 19th strain of the virus because that is absolutely not true. Kellyanne Conway was spouting that crap on Fox News (saw a clip on Seth Meyers because I refuse to watch that BS station) and another right wing idiot on this show. It is named 19 because that was the year it was discovered - 2019. If you cannot get the basic facts right, shut the hell up!

Sorry, I work in an ER (secretary) and the ignorance I am seeing is just angering me.

It would serve those idiots protesting right to catch the virus while protesting. I take heart in this story though...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/04/20/coronavirus-photos-show-mask-health-workers-blocking-denver-protest/5163745002/

image.thumb.png.60d5fd98cf9d7087db9f50a1d5fdd589.png

WOW, just when you thought these healthcare workers couldn’t be any more heroic, they literally go out and save protesters from their own stupidity.

• Love 14

I hope we see more protests of that sort from healthcare workers and people who are working other essential jobs. Fight fire with fire. I guarantee they'll come off a hell of a lot more sympathetic than the Michigan protesters. 

The misuse of the "19" part of the COVID-19 term makes me want to scream. And like John said, they know full well that's not true, but they say it anyway. That's the height of irresponsibility and it's maddening that they're allowed to get by with that. 

• Love 11

I wasn’t surprised when John started eating at the end of the show, but I would have loved if he’d been buried under a deluge of cats (toy ones) like Kirk and the Tribbles in Star Trek. 
I suppose the food was probably easier to source. 

• LOL 6

Thank you John. The stupidity of the protesters putting not only their lives but everyone else's lives at risk is infuriating. So is the stupid media and president that's feeding it with their own stupidity and misinformation. They make up lies, don't bother to check facts, use "facts" that turn out to be crap and they know damn well it is crap yet they can get away with it. No one holds them accountable. People are dying. Over forty thousand people are dead. The doctors, nurses and medical staff have  had to work through it all. Dealing with treating hundreds if not thousands of patients, dealing with losing so many patients. and now have to put up with the stupidity of protesters putting more people at risk while keeping them from getting sick. The idiot holding a sign give me freedom or Covid-19, okay go to any hospital and let the patients cough on you. Go hang out in a nursing home where people are getting sick and dying at alarming rates. Go chat with the parents who's five year old daughter died of the virus, or the ones who's baby died. Or one of the family or friends of the forty thousand people who've died. 

I loved John spitting at the end. I loved him pointing out the 100% from the "expert" from Stanford wasn't even from Stanford and full of crap. I loved his response to Hannity's dumb remark about swimming pool deaths. 'They'd be closed down and figuring out what the hell is going on."  

Thank you so much John. I really wish he was on every night. 

• Love 11

A 5 year old died of Covid complications in Detroit the other day. A 5 year old.

So yeah, these idiots continuing to protest and spout out crap like "Covid is a lie" and the "president" lauding them as "patriots" while barely showing any empathy to the sick, the dead, the doctors, and front line workers and trying to pass the back of expanding testing while expecting praise for everything? Yeah, I'm just about as done as John.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

A 5 year old died of Covid complications in Detroit the other day. A 5 year old.

So yeah, these idiots continuing to protest and spout out crap like "Covid is a lie" and the "president" lauding them as "patriots" while barely showing any empathy to the sick, the dead, the doctors, and front line workers and trying to pass the back of expanding testing while expecting praise for everything? Yeah, I'm just about as done as John.

“Trump barely showing any empathy”....that’s practically the worst part of it all.  He really doesn’t seem to care about anything except ratings and money.   Maybe if he could muster up a bit of empathy, then he would do other things differently, however, if he hasn’t developed it by now, he never will.  

And he will never understand why an abrasive and sometimes bullying politician like Cuomo gets so many accolades.... when Cuomo looked at the camera snd said, “I am not sacrificing my mother for the economy and I’m not sacrificing yours either”, he showed the difference between the two men.  

• Love 23

When all this is over, I hope to hell that these right wing news outlets, like Fox News, that have been pushing this fatal propaganda bullshit, get sued into bankruptcy.

I wasn't aware of Wendy Williams to begin with. And after watching her doing her show at home, I'd like to be even less aware of her.

• Love 6
Just now, Victor the Crab said:

When all this is over, I hope to hell that these right wing news outlets, like Fox News, that have been pushing this fatal propaganda bullshit, get sued into bankruptcy.

Agreed. Take a cue from the parents of the Sandy Hook victims who are fighting back against Alex Jones. 

• Love 11

What a lot of people overlook: When the expert talk about "previous conditions", what they are talking about are actually pretty common conditions, like any kind of condition related to breathing (this can be asthma, but it can also simply be allergies) and any condition related to an unhealthy lifestyle, like diabetes. When I am looking at those protesters, a lot of them actually are part of the risk group. How many of them have diabetes or on-set diabetes and don't even know it because the American healthcare system is so sh...?

• Love 11
10 hours ago, swanpride said:

What a lot of people overlook: When the expert talk about "previous conditions", what they are talking about are actually pretty common conditions, like any kind of condition related to breathing (this can be asthma, but it can also simply be allergies) and any condition related to an unhealthy lifestyle, like diabetes. When I am looking at those protesters, a lot of them actually are part of the risk group. How many of them have diabetes or on-set diabetes and don't even know it because the American healthcare system is so sh...?

Don't forget smoking. Emphysema is another dangerous category there. I truly think the decision they made is because of poor lifestyle choices. 

• Love 2
On 4/20/2020 at 9:38 AM, peeayebee said:

I was a bit disappointed that John didn't touch on the idea that these protests are being astroturfed, if that's the correct term. I don't know if it's proven, but Big Money is organizing at least some of the protests.

I was shocked John didn't even mention that!  It's proven that political/big money groups are behind many of these "spontaneous" protests.  They are well funded.  See WaPo story today, among others.

On 4/20/2020 at 5:04 PM, link417 said:

WOW, just when you thought these healthcare workers couldn’t be any more heroic, they literally go out and save protesters from their own stupidity.

I wish the protests of the health care workers were getting as much coverage as the ones John and the rest of the media are so heavily focused on.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, cmahorror said:

And now a story from one of the nurses at a protest:

ICU nurse who silently protested, faced insults at Phoenix reopening rally speaks out

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/04/23/phoenix-arizona-reopening-protest-icu-nurses-viral-counter-protest/3011737001/

This is amazing. I hope some of the protestors who yelled at her see this and feel ashamed of being a**holes, if not for being idiots.

• Love 3

Maybe I am little too close to this issue - I work in an ER and both of my children work in nursing homes. We all live in fear every day that we will accidentally expose the ones we love to the virus - not because of the virus but because we are in the front lines of the pandemic. We are all doing our best to protect ourselves and our loved ones but even that may not be enough.

Our state just extended the stay-at-home order until May 30th and all I can think is please keep these idiots who do not comprehend how dangerous their protests are far away from my kids and grandkids. You want to risk your lives, fine, but leave me and my loved ones out of it.

Maybe I am reserving a place in hell for myself for feeling that way but I really don't care - I will risk eternal damnation if it means the ones I love are safe and healthy.

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 14

You have every right to feel the way you do. The fact that there are people out there who do not seem to care about the fact they may put people's lives in danger, who are so cavalier in their attitudes about this, who are eager to put profits over people's lives....it's deeply disturbing. And they always want other people to take the risk, too, you'll notice. None of them seem to be volunteering to be the ones to go out to these businesses they so desperately want reopened, or their concerns aren't about whether or not they themselves can go back to work, but whether or not other people can go back to working for them.

It's all about them and their selfish wants, and people have every right to be incredibly angry at those who are behaving this way. They need to get the message loud and clear that what they're saying and doing is not acceptable. 

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Karma got one of those calling a hoax

I hope people wake up to this, but doubt it. Ignorance is the major death factor with these protesters.

It really is. They don't seem to even take notice of other people who called it a hoax or thought it was a joke that got sick. The UK prime minister thought it was a joke or no big deal ended up in ICU. The basketball player who thought it was a joke and wiped his hands on all the microphones ended up getting the virus. Or the idiots who went to spring break and came ended up getting sick.  They will continued to chose to be ignorant unless they get sick themselves or someone they care about. 

• Love 3